Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 5 Friday, 5 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: this is pretty funny Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: TMBG: Ebay TMBG: Non-TMBG but important: Hear hear to Nate Bealer Re: TMBG: Re: Re: non-TMBG: stupid recurring topic #2 / hey St. Louisans! TMBG: Mono Puff; Young Fresh Fellows; TMBG; Other stuff TMBG: SEXXY on sale at Esprit mail order (UK&US) Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages TMBG: That NON-TMBG thing Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages -Reply NON TMBG: Fresh Step Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages TMBG: Re: bootleg trade pages Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG but important: Hear hear to Nate Bealer TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles Re: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles TMBG: RARE TMBG- Only a couple hours left to bid!!! TMBG: Re: RARE TMBG- Only a couple hours left to bid!!! Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Re: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! Re: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off TMBG: NON-TMBG (if you hate it, so just delete it then): off-topic TMBG: Attending upcoming show Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG: TMBG subject tags TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single Re: TMBG: Istanbul Single NON-TMBG: Contractual Beverage Squabbles Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single NON-TMBG: Re: (was Re: TMBG: Re: ) Re: non-TMBG: tacos Re: non-TMBG: tacos Re: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off TMBG: Retraction Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single Re: non-TMBG: tacos Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:02:54 -0500 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <36DE301E.605A@ameritech.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: this is pretty funny Diana Kocar wrote: > > > I also have always liked the strange little things at the bottom of Jen's > posts. At least I think it's usually her. Like the one about the astronaut > thinking his fellow astronaut is a vampire. And the dolphin one. I wish I > could think up weird stuff like that. Those are "Deep Thoughts" from Jack Handy.. there's more at http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/sunlight/humor/8.html... it's worth checking out. Brian "Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." -Jack Handy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:18:10 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DE41C2.85CD3D3E@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... PULPSTRESS@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 99-03-03 17:30:05 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > > << well...well... i think i'm gonna have to start hating you for replying to > that message i mean come on, all you're doing is adding to the off-topic > posts *EVERYONE* on the list hates. >> > > if it says "non-tmbg" in the subject line, what's the big deal? skip over > those messages if you're on digest, delete them if you're on regular. that's > what i do (mostly). I mean really. I don't think anyone expected this kind of Spanish Inquisition! AKA Bob "And now..." Scott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:15:53 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DE4139.ACE9F79D@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... linnel@snet.net wrote: > > no, that was just my arms, i am afterall 100% californian cheese. > > which, btw, i must hate you now because you ate my arms... as i am now > > reduced to typing with my nose (ya ever tried that?) > > ha. you think THAT'S bad? try typing with your knee because a > swarm of killer mosquitos ate off all your fingers and toes. > > i mean, it's never happened to me or anyone i know, but just THINK > about what it would be like... > I would type with MY leg, but it seems a bit gammy. Your just lucky, and showing off your bleeding ability to write scripts for Mr. Producer and go drink your tea out on the settee! With your "Oh, I'm off to play the grahnd piahno!" You masons make me sick! I don't want to be a mason anyways! Bloody masons... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA BoB "AgE 3" ScoTT http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html New ultrasound images of the next baby Moses! ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <659c2546.36de422e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 03:19:58 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... In a message dated 99-03-04 03:18:52 EST, bobscott@tmbg.org writes: << I mean really. I don't think anyone expected this kind of Spanish Inquisition! >> NOOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition! I just could *NOT* resist that! jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:26:45 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DE43C5.954AA67D@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Ebay LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > hmm... the artwork is very simple - it even has a picture of them on the > cover, which, if you've listened to a few certain interviews, you'd know that > they don't like to do that. and the artwork is painfully simple. which leads > me to believe it is unofficial. heck, i could stick on a upc code too. people > would probably believe it's legit because of that.. neh, all you'd have to is > utilize a copier. > > though, it appears this friday feature hasn't sold anything before.. hmm. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't to be making so much money off of it... The seller has now ended the auction at $36, and I truly hope that he won't be seeing any of that money, as the recording quality of some of those songs (from my personal experience and the words of others) can be very decent. Perhaps the nagging of us listies made the seller reconsider? But I have seen similar things on eBay before, like someone trying to sell a video they had taped and made copies of of the Johns in various videos and appearances. The price was pretty high on those, too, but eBay put a stop to it rather quickly. You'd think people wouldn't try to sell uncopyrighted, unofficial material in such a public forum... Then again, maybe you would. I'll just move along... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Living Doll" Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html See the great Leffel drawing! Critique the horridity of the rest! Save the whales! ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG but important: Hear hear to Nate Bealer Message-Id: <920537471.14046.668@excite.com> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:51:11 PST Nate, buddy. You've got a point. Why are people discussing b-movie styles instead of the topic reserved especially for this list? Strikes me as odd too. Still, I've recently been accused of not posting relevant material, and would rather not comment too deeply on the subject, but I ust admit, a brief scan of the subjects on offer (90% b-movie stuff) and the digest gets deleted. Come on people, if you're getting bored of TMBG discussions, then go elsewhere. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private email at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9f77461f.36dddf92@aol.com> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:19:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: In a message dated 3/3/99 4:27:12 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >they don't not allow their shows to be taped. they basically have >rationalized that since they used "bootleg" recordings for the Planet of >the Apes tracks on Severe Tire Damage, that they couldn't exactly come >out against taping, but that you should use your judgement. > >I believe Elektra had a serious stick up their collective ass, though, >and wouldn't allow it. But that's a big record company, so go figure. > >The recording industry just doesn't get it. generally it's everyone *but* the band that prohibits it. at the last show i was at, sloan, someone i know who's pretty close to the band had a video camera, and was going to tape the show. before the show, a guy from the venue came out and saw the camera, and said "whose is this..? you're not taping the show..." and chris, from the *band*, stepped forward, took off his hat , and said "hi, i'm chris, i'm in the band sloan, we're the band playing tonight.. i told her it was okay." and the guy was like "taping isn't allowed" ... and chris was like.. "no, i'm -- i'm in the band.." and the guy was a real dick about it and went to go talk to the manager. :p sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 03:17:12 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: stupid recurring topic #2 / hey St. Louisans! Message-ID: Hey all-- First off, to all those St. Louis listers...a friend of mine told me that no guests will be admitted to the St. Louis show at Washington University in late April. I'm trying to pull some strings, but I'm not sure what's going to happen. I'll keep y'all posted. Anyway, onto that lovely recurring topic... On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Leon X. Deggs wrote: > Come on people, if you're getting bored of TMBG discussions, then go > elsewhere. C'mon people (okay, Nate, Leon, and a few others)...if you're getting bored of non-TMBG discussions, then go elsewhere. This issue comes up just about like clockwork...every two months or so. The people who really don't like it ("it" being the off-topic tendencies of the list)...well, they unsubscribe. The people who don't mind it, or actually enjoy it, they stay. The eldest folks here (and you know who you are) have weathered conversations about almost everything, from stereotypes about states to the Johns' shoe sizes to the frequency with which many listers post. I mean, even the biggest proponent of on-topic posts from an argument a few months ago (I think it was Bongo...right?) is still around. I mean, I admit that a lot of the stuff posted to the list is just plain dumb (no offense, y'all...just assume that I mean that most posts, but yours are good). I end up deleting a lot of posts before I reach the end of the first line...but I'm still here. The interesting group of folks we have here (everyone from the now-sedate-and-fairly-normal Josh Buckland to the world-renowned celebrities of Sarah, Jordan, Jen, and Jim) is enough to keep me here, even if (gasp!) They would happen to break up one of these days (double gasp!). Let the chaos continue, The Rev np: Ben Lee--Breathing Tornados |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 03:24:00 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DE5130.A5A65337@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff; Young Fresh Fellows; TMBG; Other stuff Sorry if everyone knows everything in this message, but I feel this is something to be shared. I was scanning CDNow for a group showcased on the Late Show (they're called Fresh Step and I'm highly skeptical as to their true existence as a musical entity), and I ran across the group Young Fresh Fellows. We all know that part of Twistin' on Flood "She doesn't have to have that Young Fresh Fellows tape back." Well, here they were, and some tracks I saw listed made me raise my eyebrows. Firstly, Hillbilly Drummer Girl is a track on one of their CDs. Secondly, Whirlpool is a track on that very same CD. I see that the album with Hillbilly Drummer Girl is dated 1991, and the song is the same, judging from the Real Audio clip, so perhaps there is no question there. And with Whirlpool, it's another song altogether, so I suppose that really stands as a "Wowie" sort of observation. For those of you who can't stand off-topicity, avert your eyes from the last part of this message... And in closing, has anyone out there actually seen Fresh Step do anything off of Letterman's show? I find everything about the group highly suspect, and expect that something will be revealed April Fool's Day. I only say this because the first time they were on the show, the crowd went insane (and I personally hate them with all the vigor I hate such bands as 98 Degrees and Backstreet Boys), and then earlier this evening, the crowd just seemed confused. Naming a band which is supposed to be a bunch of youth symbols after a kitty litter just doesn't make sense. Check out their site for a laugh: www.fresh-step.com And for all of you Leffel-ites out there, it appears that if Mike's hard drive will start working again, he's gonna be back on the net, at least for a while, via his own computer. But this is not a promise, though I'm doing everything in my power (i.e. nothing) to help him out on this one. I'm sure that he'll post again someday... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "They were in the closet making babies, and one of the babies looked at me..." Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html Where you'll find no references to the Simpsons, one of my favourite shows! Perhaps someday you will! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01be6620$0772c020$9ab3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: SEXXY on sale at Esprit mail order (UK&US) Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:18:46 -0000 http://eil.com THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS S-E-X-X-Y (US 5-trk CD inc Microwave Mix, p/s) UK 3.99 / $ 6.00 -- Uncle Squid: A someday man or a maybe child "The private parts of the Gods are we, they play with us for their sport" Carter USM fan chat: http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/carter_usm/ ICQ: 12605535 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:25:06 -0800 (PST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages Message-ID: <12048-36DE5172-310@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> If you want to get Bootlegs, try either TDK's bootleg page or Jordan's. But they only trade, not sell mind you. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:27:14 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: That NON-TMBG thing Message-ID: <12050-36DE51F2-119@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I've got a question for you guys: How do you put the "NON" in front of the TMBG on the subject line? That's put in there after you send the mail, so how could you do it? me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006b01be6621$cf2f73a0$0aa6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:31:39 -0800 TDK never gets back to me..... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:19:19 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages -Reply but JOrdaN will get back to you! Richard >>> "cannon@amouse.net" 4/March/1999 09:10am >>> TDK never gets back to me..... ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:49:00 EST Subject: NON TMBG: Fresh Step In a message dated 3/4/99 4:23:52 AM, bobscott@tmbg.org writes: > And in closing, has anyone out there actually seen Fresh Step do >anything off of Letterman's show? I find everything about the group >highly suspect, and expect that something will be revealed April Fool's >Day. on late show news (now the "tv barn"... which i have even less effort to read, having a short attention span and all), it was stated that fresh step is a hoax, but the people at the late show declined to comment. or something. anyway, it was worded in a way i can't describe. but it yes, does appear to be a letterman-only thing. apparently they've had some other phony things on the show as well... like.. fake NY play actors and such. was last night's show a new one? i was busy cataloguing kids in the hall tapes, and i stopped for a minute and saw "fresh step" and assumed it was a rerun. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:02:22 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:bootleg trade pages In a message dated 3/4/99 4:26:03 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >If you want to get Bootlegs, try either TDK's bootleg page or Jordan's. >But they only trade, not sell mind you. and GOOD. no one should be selling them. sarah gotta be fresh-to-fresh, do the fresh step... ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:52:55 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: bootleg trade pages Message-ID: <19990304.065327.12790.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >TDK never gets back to me..... but i always reply. and if i don't, it's just cuz i accidentally thot your e-mail was about b-movies and deleted it. >but JOrdaN will get back to you! >Richard see see see?! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:45:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG but important: Hear hear to Nate Bealer Message-ID: <19990304.065327.12790.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > a >brief >scan of the subjects on offer (90% b-movie stuff) and the digest gets >deleted. what? 76% of the digests are mike leffel posts? oh no wait, that was just a few years ago when the list was pretty damn freekin groovy. i guess i fail to see your point take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 06:28:12 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! Message-ID: <12055-36DE987C-154@mailtod-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hey Jason, look, I'm sorry. This isn't going to be extravagant or anything. I sent a card, but apparently, it was never sent to the list. Maybe it'll show up later, though. And I would use HTML on my mail to make it nice & decorative, but for a bunch of people, it just shows up as text, and they wouldn't be able to celebrate the birth of you, the fickel one himself (just kidding)...Jason Fickley! So, just settle for this: On this day back in 1980, a beautiful bouncing baby boy was brought into this world. His name was Jason Fickley! He went through a bunch of touching moments with his family and cute Kodak moments and stuff, until finally, it happened... Jason discovered They Might Be Giants! Which is why he's here with us today, recieving this birthday wish! So Jason, on behalf of all the list members, I'd like to say..."Happy Birthday" (but you've got to supply your own cake, cause the wonders of the internet only wonder so much). I hope you're not terrribly disappointed. At least I remembered! But I truly and sincerely wish you a happy birthday, even if the others don't. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:16:09 -0600 Subject: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles Message-ID: <19990304.091617.10782.0.khurby@juno.com> From: mike k dear guys and or slash gals : : i come from the great city of chicago. we have skyscrapers and losing sports teams and a river and horse-drawn carriages. but no store here carries 'surge.' we have 'mountain dew' every which way you look. i'm wondering why. sure, i've heard hundreds of made up reasons, but like any good tmbg fan, i seek the truth. please provide any guidance on this topic. thank you. : : mike k ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903041520.KAA22836@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:20:45 -0500 (EST) > dear guys and or slash gals : > > : i come from the great city of chicago. we have skyscrapers and > losing sports teams and a river and horse-drawn carriages. but no store > here carries 'surge.' we have 'mountain dew' every which way you look. > i'm wondering why. sure, i've heard hundreds of made up reasons, but > like any good tmbg fan, i seek the truth. please provide any guidance on > this topic. thank you. : I went into Wal-Mart the other day and not only did I see the classic Doctor Thunder (of course, being a rip-off of Dr. Pepper), but I just saw a new one called Mountain Lightning (of course, yet another rip-off of Mountain Dew). But, I admit, these names are great so I don't care. Anyway, ever since someone posted about that Dial-A-Song CD that had the UPC code on it and I took a look at the track listing, I've had 4 of 2 running through my head all day. It is a great song, but all I can think of is "At 4 of 2, my heart began to rush" (or was it stop? I can't remember the lyrics). -Sir John Johns ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <642bb4c3.36dea62a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:26:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles please o please i beg of you all don't let's start this a s*da vs. p*p thread, and if some wise cracker decides to after this post, please nobody reply to it. i'm not one to be a jerk and stop threads, but that is just one of the nasty ones that no one needs. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:36:33 -0700 (MST) From: Shane Henson Subject: TMBG: RARE TMBG- Only a couple hours left to bid!!! Message-ID: Hello everybody! YOUR CHANCE TO GET MY RARE TMBG single is drawing to a CLOSE! (only has a couple hours left!!-if that by the time you read this!) Hurry before it's too late! Hurry before you're kicking yourself tomorrow! (We don't want that now DO we!) Copy & paste this: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71288934 and it'll take you RIGHT TO IT! Auction closes SOON! ShaneX ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:11:35 -0700 (MST) From: Shane Henson Subject: TMBG: Re: RARE TMBG- Only a couple hours left to bid!!! Message-ID: Oh, and I would like to add that my CD5 is COMPLETELY LEGIT! No pirates here! http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71288934 (and by the way, if you have any compassion for the high bidder on that (pirate or bootleg) you might want to e-mail him/her, because he/she can "retract" the bid if he/she has a valid reason- Like, "I was unaware that this was not an official release of TMBG, I had no idea that you "fridayfeature" personally manufactured it.") Just so yas know. But anyway..........GO BID ON MINE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71288934 On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Shane Henson wrote: > Hello everybody! > > YOUR CHANCE TO GET MY > RARE TMBG single is drawing to a CLOSE! > (only has a couple hours left!!-if that by the time you read this!) > > Hurry before it's too late! > > Hurry before you're kicking yourself tomorrow! > (We don't want that now DO we!) > > Copy & paste this: > > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71288934 > > and it'll take you RIGHT TO IT! > > Auction closes SOON! > > ShaneX > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990304170814.16850.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:08:12 PST Bob Scott wrote: >I would type with MY leg, but it seems a bit gammy. Your just lucky, >and >showing off your bleeding ability to write scripts for Mr. Producer >and go >drink your tea out on the settee! With your "Oh, I'm off to play the >grahnd >piahno!" You masons make me sick! I don't want to be a mason anyways! >Bloody >masons... I'm sorry you feel that way, but we did want a block of flats, nice though the abattoir is. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan (whose signature function doesn't seem to be working) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903041814.NAA154284@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:15:18 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! hahahaha that was great! I feel honored being the first listee to be honored in this new birthday ritual. Thanks for the recognition. Anyway, fridayfeature has retracted his bid at ebay, so if you've been flaming him, you can lay off now. Sorry for any disturbance I caused by bringing that up in the first place. --Jason the birthday boy-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903041822.NAA203638@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:23:07 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Happy Birthday Jason Fickley! Oh yeah, one more thing, my birthday also coincides with my 1 year anniversary of joining the list! Double the excitement! --Jason-- At 01:15 PM 3/4/99 -0500, Jason Fickley wrote: >hahahaha that was great! I feel honored being the first listee to be >honored in this new birthday ritual. Thanks for the recognition. Anyway, >fridayfeature has retracted his bid at ebay, so if you've been flaming him, >you can lay off now. Sorry for any disturbance I caused by bringing that up >in the first place. > >--Jason the birthday boy-- > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:26:28 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DED054.3F4794E6@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the off-topic post debate... Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > >I would type with MY leg, but it seems a bit gammy. Your just lucky, > >and > >showing off your bleeding ability to write scripts for Mr. Producer > >and go > >drink your tea out on the settee! With your "Oh, I'm off to play the > >grahnd > >piahno!" You masons make me sick! I don't want to be a mason anyways! > >Bloody > >masons... > > I'm sorry you feel that way, but we did want a block of flats, nice > though the abattoir is. Okay, I take it back... I didn't mean a word of it! You can give me a good word among the masons? Just show me the secret handshake! Shut up!!! And so ends this totally pointless message... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "And then the escalator takes them to the rotating knives..." Scott http://members.theglobe.com/bobscott/default.html Where Monty Python is displayed quite poorly on 1 page which takes near 42 hours to load! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:29:56 -0500 (EST) From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off Message-id: <01J8FOYZ25SI00GT8I@VASSAR.EDU> >bud, if you don't like what you're reading, unsubscribe. these are >topics that interest the majority of the people on this list, that's why >they're there (otherwise they would just float off and dissappear as no >one would care to reply to them). no offense, but that's a bunch of crap and you know it. how many hundreds of people are on this list? and how many of those people contribute about 95% of the list traffic? 10 maybe? 20 MAYBE? most of the rest of us are content to ignore the blathering of the few, in hopes that someone will someday post something interesting. which does, believe it or not, occasionally happen. so, like, anyone going to the show next weekend at lupo's in providence? if so, i'll see you there. i'll be on flans side (this will be my 8th show, and i've only ever been on the linnell side. it's time i branched out.) i'm tall, so i'll probably be the long-haired blond guy standing in front that you hate. i get that a lot. later, nub ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:45:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG (if you hate it, so just delete it then): off-topic Message-ID: <19990304.154546.10054.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae I believe, in order to keep the balance of good and evil from becoming lopsided, we must keep an even amount of on- and off-topic posts. life would be so boring if we stayed on one topic all the time. for example, say you're in the woods with some guy you know, and you had to stay on the discussion topic of, oh, let's say tube socks, all the time. what would result? you'd be possessed by some unholy demon and take out a bus load of elementary schoolers - that's what, and nobody wants that. so in order to keep many TMBG fans for ending up wanted by the FBI for various illegal doings, we must wander into the nether regions of conversation, especially during a slow point in the Giant World. I mean, at least we're talking about something half-interesting. it's not like a make a post that says "my butt hurts" and we discuss it at length for hours on end. I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but i'm learning something new everyday and, in the end, isn't that most important? thanks for yer patronage. ever-sincere, eriKa, who, if this is the Spanish Inquisition, gets to be imprisoned like Cervantes in "Man of La Mancha" and gets to tell you all the story of two lads from Brooklyn who Might Be Giants... (I think Linnell will be Don Quixote and Flans can be Sancho) "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990304155952.009f3d40@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:59:52 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Attending upcoming show Merry Leffelmas to everyone. (Everyday is Leffelmas, silly.) Anyway, Ben reminded me that I should post, announcing my attendance at the Kutztown TMBG/Violent Femmes show. I am expecting to have quite the rocking time with the whole thing. A friend of mine's brother attends Kutztown and scored us tickets. My Space Van (91 silver Toyota Previa, slightly dented after a high-speed interface with a highway guardrail.) already has a full load of people, most of whom are getting a ride down from Mansfield, PA to my house in Williamsport. Driving back at night from your first concert a long ways from home is something of a right of passage (Or so someone said on this list a long time ago. Made sense at the time) and I can't wait. Anyway, if any listies wanna meet up, I'm game. Dylan "Glad there aren't any psycho truck drivers after him" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dflipse@csrlink.net http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:06:16 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off In a message dated 3/4/99 3:49:13 PM, beknowles@vassar.edu writes: >no offense, but that's a bunch of crap and you know it. what's that saying? one person's crap is... >how many hundreds >of people are on this list? and how many of those people contribute about >95% of the list traffic? 10 maybe? 20 MAYBE? well, don't go defending the people who don't contribute. since they don't contribute, who's to say they don't enjoy it? and they're not adding anything so... ahh screw it, i'm hungry, and my attention has shifted.. sarah ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <014d01be6684$a3531580$fc4856d1@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:19:04 -0500 > >about trading... um, there are lots of sites out there. if you have >stuff to trade, any site will work; if you don't, then stay away from >the people who do 2 for 1 blank trades because they're evil. (actually, >stay away from them anyway) > curious -- what's wrong with these people, why are they 'evil'? what's so bad about a person that makes a copy for someone they don't know and all they get in return is a coupla blank tapes? i've done this in the past, and i'm just curious, why should people stay away from me for doing this? for one thing, i'm helping someone who has nothing to trade by *giving them something to trade*, and i'm getting two blank tapes in return, which btw are very cheap (a person's not going to spend a lot of money on two blank tapes), could be used to make other copies of boots / could prove to be useful in future trades. i'm going out of my way to make a copy of a boot for someone that has no boots and all i'm getting 2 blank tapes, if anything i'm getting the short end of the stick. so why should someone stay away from people that do this? i'll go ahead and apologize if this starts a war and pisses off a lot of people on the list, or if this is a thread that is resurfacing. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:32:43 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: TMBG subject tags Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > I've got a question for you guys: How do you put the "NON" in front of > the TMBG on the subject line? That's put in there after you send the > mail, so how could you do it? well, my experience is that if you write in the subject line: NON-TMBG: what's that blue thing doing here? and it gets posted in the style NON-TMBG: what's that blue thing doing here? if, however, you just write, what's that blue thing doing here? you will see TMBG: what's that blue thing doing here? and i'll have to test this (i can't remember offhand), but i think that somehow, the tmbg.org computers scan the subject line for "TMBG:" and don't add anything if they see it, so the subject TMBG is the rockingest band ever!!!!! would come out TMBG: TMBG is the rockingest band ever!!!!! whereas the subject TMBG: rockingest band ever, or just mike leffel's opening act? would be left alone. i think. if you've read all the way to the end of this message, i thank you, and reward you with the addendum that i titled this message TMBG subject tags so we'll see what happens to it. --jim kuemmerle, ever vigilant in his pursuit of truth and trivialities... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 16:34:58 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DF0A92.DE5A067D@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single Sorry to bug you all about the miniscule contribution of Leffel, but I have rescanned the image and made it 2 colors and made tacos and such. And I have decided to post it someplace other than theglobe.com, since even I have trouble accessing the site. So you can find the image (over 400kb, so be ready to wait) at: http://www.angelfire.com/ne/bobscott/images/leffel1.jpg The image is larger than it was (than life?), and the resolution is better as well. I'm sure you'll all figure out the specifics, of which there are actually none. And now to my incessant question: What single is Ant on? I just got Istanbul today, and was amazed to find that it wasn't on it. Let me know if you know! bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Pair of eyes in back of your head" Scott ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <4882f4e5.36df0c03@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:41:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul Single In a message dated 99-03-04 17:39:01 EST, bobscott@TMBG.ORG writes: << And now to my incessant question: What single is Ant on? I just got Istanbul today, and was amazed to find that it wasn't on it. Let me know if you know! >> Hmm..It was on my issue of Istanbul. Which may have been a reissue (as I don't have it anymore, I can't check), since it's not on your copy. jennifer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201be66af$f2100a40$07a308d0@orion> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: NON-TMBG: Contractual Beverage Squabbles Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:29:06 -0800 Hey Again Folks, Anyway, thats weird that Chicago doesn't have Surge...I thought it was everywhere! They sure push that drink enough round here... Well...in a somewhat related, but also completely unrelated thought. When I lived in Phoenix there was a soda called Dr. Slice which was just like Dr. Pepper...but it was made by the company opposite whichever of the two major soda companies makes Dr Pepper if I remember right. Anyhow I wonder how many places have these weirdarsed regional sodas produced by major soda companies... Later! Kelly ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:29:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single In a message dated 3/4/99 5:39:01 PM, bobscott@TMBG.ORG writes: > And now to my incessant question: What single is Ant on? I just got >Istanbul today, and was amazed to find that it wasn't on it. Let me know >if you know! what istanbul didja get, son?! :p it's sure as hell on my istanbul..... hmm..... along with stormy pinkness, the original JKP, and the brownsville istanbul remix. sarah "chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:09:22 -0500 (EST) From: Chad M Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: Re: (was Re: TMBG: Re: ) Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 wagner@mindspring.com wrote: > curious -- what's wrong with these people, why are they 'evil'? what's so > bad about a person that makes a copy for someone they don't know and all > they get in return is a coupla blank tapes? That would be categorized as "making a profit" which is bad karma in many trading circles because you have no right to make profit off the Johns work. Many people rationalize because they are, very much like you say, being kind and generous enough to take the time to make the tape(s) and it is wear and tear on their decks, but to me that is no excuse to make a profit for something you shouldn't be. Taping a band that allows taping is a privelege and the bands usually grant that privelege knowing that the people who tape aren't out to hurt or compete with the band. They are there to archive the show and create a lasting memory of the event and if they trade it, it is just for fun and not for profit at all. For every person that rips you off by making you provide something in return for their "generousity" there is a person who will gladly tape for nothing but the blanks needed to tape and the return postage to get the tapes back to you. All else is done out of the kindness of their heart. That said, I personally never trade or B+P with people who do 2:1 (or worse) and I don't recommend it to anyone either. Just look around and you'll find people more than happy to dub for nothing... - Chad (who isn't responsible for very much list traffic at all and refrained from asking Jordan riding all her horses without any arms) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:49:01 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: tacos Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > Sorry to bug you all about the miniscule contribution of Leffel, but > I have rescanned the image and made it 2 colors and made tacos and such. Now Bob...don't get me wrong. I love the tacos, really I do. But if I had to make a choice between the tacos and the mail...I'd have to go with the mail. Goodbye, Mailbox. The Bill (Rev) P.S. Sorry...in a weird mood. np: Jim Greer--Rover Songs |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990304214609.0087f250@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:46:09 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: tacos >P.S. Sorry...in a weird mood. > Nah, you are in an uncreative mood. So, there. This parrot is D E A D, dead! LDB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:50:24 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: contractual beverage squabbles Message-ID: <19990304.220447.3534.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. but no >store here carries 'surge.' no the real question is WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO CRYSTAL PEPSI?!? not to mention OK soda... 1-800-I-FEEL-OK. oh yeah. memories. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:00:27 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:topics, on and off Message-ID: <19990304.220447.3534.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> oh how often do i do this... and why? because i like it! i like it a lot. anyways... >how many >hundreds >of people are on this list? as far as i'm concerned there are a grand total of about 20 people on the list. that's who's replying, that's who's conversing... that's who i'm talking to. if i don't get feedback, i don't know you're there, and more importantly, i don't care. >and how many of those people contribute >about >95% of the list traffic? 10 maybe? 20 MAYBE? oh look, i should read the whole thing before i start replying... sorry, my bad. >most of the rest of us >are >content to ignore the blathering of the few, blahblahblitherblatherblahblah (now i just need a few more people to blather along and we can start our own band). (sorry, that was immature and obnoxius and wasted several lines of *your* precious digest, forgive me). > in hopes that someone >will >someday post something interesting. which does, believe it or not, >occasionally happen. yeah, in fact, i hate to sound like a hoochie, but last i checked it was myself and a few of the other "regulars" that were passing that info along. without us you'd be nowhere and you know it. er maybe not, but my point is... no offense to the newbies that just lurk... but honestly it's us "old-timers" that have got the connections etc. so... >so, like, anyone going to the show next weekend at lupo's in >providence? if >so, i'll see you there. damn, after a post like this, i'd be watching out for tonya harding... i hear she's coming to getcha (is that an ace of base song? huh... somehow some weird tune just popped in my head... "she's coming to get ya!") > i'll be on flans side (this will be my 8th >show, >and i've only ever been on the linnell side. it's time i branched >out.) i'm >tall, so i'll probably be the long-haired blond guy standing in front >that >you hate. i get that a lot. really? i can't imagine. okay so before ya go flaming me back 1000 times... a) it doesn't need to be on the list, cuz well, everyone's seen me bitch and moan like this several times... i'm sure they can all check the digests if they're really interested. b) i know i'm a hoochie, i know this was immature, i know this was uncalled for. so yes, i appologize but i'm not so sure it's worth much of anything cuz well, i am after all sending this along... so... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html GOOD TIMES, REAL FUN!! :D YEAHYEAH GLORIA! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:01:28 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Retraction Message-ID: <19990305.010138.7198.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. a few weeks ago, i wrote an e-mail detailing my personal distress for they might be giants. after seeing tonight's show in philadelphia, i would like to retract whatever negative comments i made about the lack of new music. they preformed not one, but three entirely new songs tonight. all were written in the past week and apparently, we here in the city of brotherly love got to break the cherry on these virgin songs. they are: cyclops rock now everything's too loud she thinks she's edith head for any of you who were asking yourself who edith head is at the show or sitting in front of your computer screen, she was a highly demanded film costumer of the 50s and 60s. she did a lot of hitchcock's films. i also must say that the dynamic of john and john with dan hickey, miller and weinkauf is, IMHO, the best incarnation of TMBG so far. i'm even more anxious to hear what mike gets from them from his interview next week. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ "It's a strange world, my friend. We're bound to run to each other. Until then, keep your unit on ya." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 00:15:07 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36DF766B.2BA85A18@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 3/4/99 5:39:01 PM, bobscott@TMBG.ORG writes: > > > And now to my incessant question: What single is Ant on? I just got > >Istanbul today, and was amazed to find that it wasn't on it. Let me know > >if you know! > > what istanbul didja get, son?! :p it's sure as hell on my istanbul..... > hmm..... along with stormy pinkness, the original JKP, and the brownsville > istanbul remix. > > sarah > "chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie!" Damn that Mr. Show guy!!! 2 people with an Istanbul single with Ant... I feel repressed anger welling up... Was there a British version of the single? My Istanbul single is only 12 1/2 minutes long, no Ant. And I payed far too much, if Ant should be on it... All I can say, with this, MST3K cancellation announcement, and that whole realization of evil, is "Poopie!" bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "An ant, a violin, and a pirate" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001e01be66d0$787c5f00$d32c0904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Leffel Art and Istanbul Single Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:21:53 -0500 >> In a message dated 3/4/99 5:39:01 PM, bobscott@TMBG.ORG writes: >> >> > And now to my incessant question: What single is Ant on? I just got >> >Istanbul today, and was amazed to find that it wasn't on it. Let me know >> >if you know! >> >> what istanbul didja get, son?! :p it's sure as hell on my istanbul..... >> hmm..... along with stormy pinkness, the original JKP, and the brownsville >> istanbul remix. >> >2 people with an Istanbul single with Ant... I feel repressed anger welling >up... Was there a British version of the single? My Istanbul single is only 12 >1/2 minutes long, no Ant. And I payed far too much, if Ant should be on it... >All I can say, with this, MST3K cancellation announcement, and that whole >realization of evil, is "Poopie!" > Actually...make that 3. It's on my single too. Sorry to contribute to your poopiness! >bobscott@tmbg.org >AKA Bob "An ant, a violin, and a pirate" Scott Wow, you're fast...that was just on! Amy :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:35:34 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: tacos Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >P.S. Sorry...in a weird mood. > > > Nah, you are in an uncreative mood. So, there. Ah....the Depressed Boy is being bitter again. Stand back. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-5 *****************************