Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-53 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 53 Monday, 26 April 1999 Today's Topics: NONTMBG: test TMBG: (TMBG) My Webpage / Concert Questions TMBG: The North Avenue... OLD GUY! TMBG: Re: (TMBG) My Webpage / Concert Questions Re: NONTMBG: test TMBG: non-tmbg; j mood TMBG: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me Re: NONTMBG: test Re: TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me Re: TMBG: The North Avenue... OLD GUY! Re: TMBG: Video Comp Re: TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me NON-TMBG: IM, anyone? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:56:47 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3723818F.902A1ECE@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: NONTMBG: test Sorry.. my mail hasn't been working properly and I need some venue to test it out, as those mail order catalogs featuring badly airbrushed women dressed like elephants parading about in front of three gay midgets reciting Keats just aren't doing it for me anymore and I've resorted to collecting sow nipples late at night from SOWNIPS n' BEER, a local audobon society hangout. Did any of you see the 'Particle Man' sub-reference in the last episode of 'Will and Grace'? Of course, it may just be a fluke.... Mike "I wouldn't leave SURVIVORS" Leffel ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:50:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: (TMBG) My Webpage / Concert Questions Hello again, my friends: Today I saw that AOL Personal Publisher finally worked out all the bugs they were having, so this afternoon I put my pic up on my webpage. The URL to it is: http://members.aol.com/musekj/personal/index.htm I'm not big on creating webpages, so it's rather simple -- just the basic facts concerning what's going on with me and mine. I asked my husband this morning if he would care to accompany me to the TMBG show at the Bowery Ballroom on May 15th. He said he would. My son might be coming along also. What would be the easiest way to get tickets for something like that? I'm figuring Ticketmaster, am I right? Never been to a club to see a band yet, so I am seriously naive. I saw a double bill at a college gym once (Weezer and Live in Wilkes-Barre, PA), and got the tickets through Ticketmaster that time -- but I just thought I'd ask. I've never seen TMBG before, so if anybody has any advice for me concerning my going to this shindig, I'd be most appreciative. And if any of you could tell me about The Bowery Ballroom, I'd like to know what to possibly expect in the way of crowds, what the place itself is like, any other hints...all that would be graciously accepted as well. I wish I could get close to the stage without being stomped, but I'm figuring that that's wishful thinking. Karen "Splunge!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3723B802.C7662DC8@earthling.net> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 19:49:06 -0500 From: John Voorhees Subject: TMBG: The North Avenue... OLD GUY! Karaen Jean Riley admonished me sharply: > About that Disney film you are referring to, that would be "The North > Avenue Irregulars" from 1979. The Presbyterian minister's name was Michael > Hill (another known name of said movie was "Hill's Angels"), played by Edward > Herrmann, who later went on to play FDR in a number of TV movies. I tried to > find a Voorhees in the cast list, but came up empty-handed. Well, the title rings a bell. That'll teach me to try and reference from memory any movies I haven't seen since I was 11. Back when gilled demi-fish were taking a stab at walking the Earth. But AH! I say. While Edward Herrmann was the only minister listed as such in the IMdb, he was NOT the only minister in the film! I still stand by there being a Voorhees, and after referencing said database, I strongly believe him to have been Tom, played by Steve Franken. He was the younger, wackier minister of the piece. Hmmm. I haven't had any Giant content for several posts, have I? Ok. Hey, are those guys still singing with rolls of carpet balanced on their heads? Isn't that a hoot? The only partially-corrected OLD guy John Voorhees ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 17:01:44 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <372382B8.AD8434FC@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: (TMBG) My Webpage / Concert Questions MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > I asked my husband this morning if he would care to accompany me to the TMBG > show at the Bowery Ballroom on May 15th. He said he would. My son might be The tickets are at www.ticketweb.com actually, and just click on 'Bowery Ballroom' from the front page. I've never been there myself but I'm going (YAY!) to the early show, and maybe to the late one too if I can squirm myself in. Hopefully the security guard will be bribeable... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:08:11 -0400 Subject: Re: NONTMBG: test Message-ID: <19990425.210811.4710.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike "I (heart) sow nipples" Leffel: >Did any of you see the 'Particle Man' sub-reference in >the last episode of 'Will and Grace'? Of course, it may >just be a fluke.... Isn't Will & Grace one of those shows with the story line of some chick having the quintessential gay guy as a friend? "Ooh, I can take him shopping and we don't have to worry about all that icky sexual tension!" ever-sincere, eriKa, "You know the door was open, Chief BreakEverything." (gotta dig those crazy One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest references in Simpsons) "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3723C7AD.2DB84F5E@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:55:57 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: no, thank you Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg; j mood > Could anyone give me a suggestion on a good album to > > start with? I've always loved Wynton's playing, and I have about 4 of > > his classical CDs, but now I want to get started on his jazz! Thanks! > > my introduction to wynton was with the album 'j mood', and that's still > one of my all-time favorites, > Diana, I second the motion for "j mood". bert r. -- My homepage - slightly more interesting than watching grass grow: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3723CDA0.FD4D8EB0@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:21:20 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: no, thank you Subject: TMBG: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me > >How dare you like the Tiny Toons Videos!!!!!!!! > >GET OFF THE LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Feh, don't be silly, they're neat. Besides, how many bands can say that > they've had music videos on cartoon shows? (The answer is: "Not many.") > I put "very few". Do I get any partial credit? > On another note, I got Miscellaneous T yesterday (now all I need is FS > and I'll have all the albums!), and am enjoying it greatly. But as for > the much debated World's Address re-mix... I like the middle where they > actually play the song, but the rest seems to be just... audio mess. > Yeah, but it grows on you. I'll say again how cool I think this tune is, its one of my favorites. I wonder if everyone would listen to it a few times if you would realize how excellent it is. Seriously, it *IS* kind of different from the rest of their tunes that way, most of Their stuff is pretty immediate, you know, the Fried remix is in a more subtle style IMHO. Most of TMBG songs I like immediately, they're quite accessible, but this remix I had to listen to several times before I really got into it. It shouldn't really be thought of as a TMBG song, I guess, more of a cover version of one of Their songs. > No need to worry, they're on there! TMBG must agree with you! > > Kay > > In fact, > while they never said they *hated* the Tiny Toons vids, they did express > disappoinment, which is why I'm surprised they're on there...guess they're > acknowledging how many people discovered them through TT. > > Kay > I think its possible that the Tiny Toons vids are on there whether the Johns want them there or not. This may very well have been someone else's decision. > like eriKa said, very unique. > I think they're just *slightly* unique. > >should try VH1 and if they don't care about them then we should all > >boycot until they finally get played on VH1 or MTV. > > In order for such a boycott to have any effect at all, you'd have to > boycott the sponsors. Just not watching MTV or VH1 wouldn't really do > anything. I really don't think a boycott would do much good, anyway. > After all, I've been boycotting them for years. They don't even seem to notice I'm gone! don't bother damning me and ordering me off the list, I'll do it myself. (DAMN ME! GET OFF THE LIST!) bert r np: Praxis, "Animal Behavior" nd: ("now drinking") a "brew" nb: ("now bummed-out-about") the fact that the mullets link is not operating. -- My homepage - slightly more interesting than watching grass grow: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:54:19 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3723D55B.20F86583@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me All this Tiny Toon remarking brings me to muse about how now that WB has a channel all its very own, the chances of TMBG appearing in something else could be greater. Of course, I have absolutely _no_ idea right now about the label/company affiliations currently in effect, as I've been focusing the remainder of my attention not on TMBG, but on advising children down the wrong path in life. Imagine if you will: The TMBG Variety Hour! It would get the axe immediately. Some Rubini named Bert croaked: > don't bother damning me and ordering me off the list, I'll do it > myself. > > (DAMN ME! GET OFF THE LIST!) DAMN YOU! GET OFF THE.... oh. DAMN YOU! GET ON THE LIST! Then that always Cap'n Erica Georgia O'Finkley Rae chirped: > Isn't Will & Grace one of those shows with the story line of some chick >having the quintessential gay guy as a friend? "Ooh, I can take him >shopping and we don't have to worry about all that icky sexual tension!" No, you're thinking about 'Bewitched'. Then Young Jono Vorhoes said, while WOLFing down some chowder: >Well, the title rings a bell. That'll teach me to try and reference >from memory any movies I haven't seen since I was 11. Back when gilled >demi-fish were taking a stab at walking the Earth. But AH! I say. >While Edward Herrmann was the only minister listed as such in the IMdb, >he was NOT the only minister in the film! I still stand by there being >a Voorhees, and after referencing said database, I strongly believe him >to have been Tom, played by Steve Franken. He was the younger, wackier >minister of the piece. And then MUSEKJ said, in a tone reminicent of saying something: >Karen "Splunge!" Riley She's Right, You Know! And then the booby kid, Bob "Yer Gherkin's Fer..." Scott coo'ed: >I remember the good old days when exorcisms were a dime >a dozen, and eggs could fly in little eggplant planes... And that's what's been happening so far. Next week, watch as Veronica falls deeply in love with Johnathan, Johnathan's ex-wife Angeliqe plots to take back the Bradford Family fortune from Escalondito Dovares, and Emmy hosts another AIDS benefit. But... who's that mysterious stranger lurking around SpringFields Grove? ? ? ? ? ? Mike "Cyclops Rock= Leela + Ben Grimm's Illegitamate Child?" Leffel ---Rob Liefeld is going to work on CABLE. Time for a suicide/murder. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:22:19 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3723DBEB.F0F83C21@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NONTMBG: test Mike Leffel wrote (among random otherly blitherings and blatherings): > I've resorted to > collecting sow nipples late at night from SOWNIPS n' BEER, > a local audobon society hangout. It's spelled Audubon, and the accentuation is on the MAR... MAR-low! MAR-LO!!! AKA Bob "Now mention TMBG!!! Quick before the end of the message!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990426032814.67475.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:28:14 PDT Mike Leffel wrote: > All this Tiny Toon remarking brings me to muse about how >now that WB has a channel all its very own, the chances of >TMBG appearing in something else could be greater. Of course, >I have absolutely _no_ idea right now about the label/company >affiliations currently in effect, as I've been focusing the >remainder of my attention not on TMBG, but on advising children >down the wrong path in life. Well, since They are no longer with Elektra, I doubt that Warner Communications (the owners of Elektra) would want to give Them a TV show. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Everybody do the Michigan Rag" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <920d22af.2455339e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:12:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The North Avenue... OLD GUY! In a message dated 4/25/99 8:51:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, griffon@earthling.net writes: << But AH! I say. While Edward Herrmann was the only minister listed as such in the IMdb, he was NOT the only minister in the film! I still stand by there being a Voorhees, and after referencing said database, I strongly believe him to have been Tom, played by Steve Franken. He was the younger, wackier minister of the piece. >> Well, I kind've figured that might be the case, that there was probably another minister in that film that shared your surname. It was just that I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I'm sure you are right :-) And I didn't mean to sound like I was "admonishing" you by any means. Dear old wise one, please forgive me? Karen "I'll be the one in the corner bowing to the elderly sage" Riley ;-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904260350.XAA97260@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:51:29 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Video Comp Has anyone who ordered DFB from tmbproductions recieved their video yet? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:56:30 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3723E3EE.DE5281E6@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: partial credit/Fried remix/tiny toons/damn me Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > All this Tiny Toon remarking brings me to muse about how > >now that WB has a channel all its very own, the chances of > >TMBG appearing in something else could be greater. Of course, > >I have absolutely _no_ idea right now about the label/company > >affiliations currently in effect, as I've been focusing the > >remainder of my attention not on TMBG, but on advising children > >down the wrong path in life. > > Well, since They are no longer with Elektra, I doubt that Warner > Communications (the owners of Elektra) would want to give Them a TV > show. > -- WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ------------------------------ Message-Id: <26APR99.00414710.0042.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 00:23:02 EDT From: Misty Subject: NON-TMBG: IM, anyone? I was just wondering if anyone here is on AOL Instant Messenger. I'm not on it all the time (only when I'm in the computer lab here at school, but that's actually with surprising frequency), but when I am, I'm always open for a mini-chat. Anyway, my IM name is thadthemanso if anyone wants to IM me, here I am. If you want, you can e-mail me privately at k4zk@maristb.marist.edu with your IM name if you don't want to bog down the list. Misty ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-53 ******************************