Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-55 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 55 Wednesday, 28 April 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single TMBG: BNL/Fruvous/TMBG MD Masters to Trade TMBG: tribute album TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-54 TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply TMBG: Re: A couple requests Re: NON-TMBG: CD burning, Simpsons picture question Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply Re: TMBG: A couple requests Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Re: TMBG: Mono Puff NON-TMBG: David Garza Re: NON-TMBG: Piracy (was TMBG: Mono Puff) RE: NON-TMBG: David Garza TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 Re: NON-TMBG: Piracy (was TMBG: Mono Puff) + New BF5 album! Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 TMBG: Why does the sun change? Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Re: TMBG: BNL/Fruvous/TMBG MD Masters to Trade TMBG: Tonight's Futurama Re: TMBG: Tonight's Futurama TMBG: Futurama (new Subliminal message) TMBG: Re: Futurama (new Subliminal message) Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? TMBG: Re: Futurama (new Subliminal message) Re: TMBG: Tonight's Futurama TMBG: CONCERT REVIEW: Des Moines, 4/26 Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <005c01be9206$f7befaa0$04a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:10:20 -0700 Would you belive that someone is paying $30.00 for the 'Devil went down to newport town' cd single on ebay???? if these people are online haven't they heard of websites that sell CD's for original price????? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Message-ID: <16a7e877.2456973b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:29:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: BNL/Fruvous/TMBG MD Masters to Trade Hello all, It's been about a year or so since I've posted about trading, so read carefully! =) I've recorded several shows in the past year with my Sony Minidisc Recorder MZ-R30 and trusty Sony digital mic. I'm now looking to expand my collection with A quality 1st generation MD clones of shows that I enjoy. So help me out, okay? I will not trade for blanks or postage or your firstborn so please don't ask. Feel free to browse the list below and email me if you're interested.....I will also consider trading for A quality bootleg videos and A quality episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that I haven't seen (mostly the ones from the last two seasons). Bye bye, Larry Larry's Minidisc Bootleg List Barenaked Ladies 10/1/98 - Pittsburgh, PA - 100min - B 11/2/98 - San Diego, CA - SDSU - 100min - Master - A 11/3/98 - Universal City, CA - Universal Amphitheatre - 60min - Master - A (incomplete, thanks to battery falling out of my MD recorder) 12/11/98 - Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium (KROQ Acoustic Christmas) - Master - B Cardigans 11/9/98 - West Hollywood, CA - Troubadour - 40min - Master - A Great Big Sea 6/24/98 - Universal City, CA - Universal Amphitheatre - 25min - Master - A 4/15/99 - West Hollywood, CA - Troubadour - 95min - Master - A Moxy Fruvous 9/28/98 - San Francisco, CA - Slim's - 110min - Master - B 10/30/98 - Boston, MA - Iron Horse - 120min - B - The Story of BJ 10/31/98 - Boston, MA - Iron Horse - 120min - B - All covers show 1/7/99 - West Hollywood, CA - Roxy - 100min - Master - A Squirrel Nut Zippers 8/5/98 - San Diego, CA - 4th & B - 80min - Master - A 8/6/98 - Irvine, CA - Virgin Megastore rooftop - 30min - Master - A They Might Be Giants 9/28/98 - San Juan Capistrano - Coach House - 100min - Master - A Rufus Wainwright 12/7/98 - Los Angeles, CA - The Conga Room - 90min - Master - A 4/16/99 - Hollywood, CA - Henry Fonda Theater - 70min - Master - A ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003701be9216$127bed80$20a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: tribute album Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 00:58:29 -0700 Man....I was just listining to some bits of the 'we might be giants, too" tribute album and wish i knew about it when it was going on...I just formed a band recently and weve played around with different renditions of tmbg for practice... I thought alot of those songs on the album were very creativly done just wish i had been apart of it.....any chance of a tribute to the tribute album?? heh heh eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <372593C4.2E7C678E@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 03:39:05 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:36:27 BST From: "Dr. Worm" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #16-54 Message-ID: Hey The Doctor Worm UK single - which I have got!!!! includes Doctor Worm Istanbul (Not Constantinople) XTC vs. Adam Ant and (I think) Birdhouse In Your Soul. But they are all lifted straight from STD so unless you are a collector it's not really worth it. I don't know when it came out either - a source says Oct. '98? Hope that helps Kate ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:36:58 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply If this is the song that opens the film then it is a disgrace that it isn't on the soundtrack but I suspect it all to do with money. Nick Lowe wrote a song called 'What's so funny about peace love and understanding' which ended up on 'The Bodyguard' soundtrack recorded by, I believe Michael Bolton. It was simply awful (and before you ask it was my pre-teenage daughter who purchased the soundtrack and now deeply doesn't listen to it!) but the point is that Nick Lowe said several times that he made about just under a #1 million out of that song. Like I said I suspect it is all about money. Richard >>> "ggr@pacificnet.net" 27/April/1999 11:48am >>> > Go to www.theymightbegiants.com it will tell you all the major news. eRiCh Too bad their song won't be on the Austin Powers soundtrack CD. That would have been big time exposure for them. Who knows though, maybe the soundtrack will be such a hit that they'll make a "More Music from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" like they did with a lot of other soundtracks. What ever happened to the animated series? I didn't see that up there. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990427074329.0093ac10@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:43:29 -0500 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply At 01:36 PM 4/27/99 +0000, you wrote: >If this is the song that opens the film then it is a disgrace that it isn't on >the soundtrack but I suspect it all to do with money. >Nick Lowe wrote a song called 'What's so funny about peace love and >understanding' which ended up on 'The Bodyguard' soundtrack recorded >by, I believe Michael Bolton. It was simply awful (and before you ask it >was my pre-teenage daughter who purchased the soundtrack and now >deeply doesn't listen to it!) but the point is that Nick Lowe said several >times that he made about just under a #1 million out of that song. Like I >said I suspect it is all about money. >Richard > No, according to the webpage, it was a late edition to the soundtrack. (as in the music that makes it into the movie) Therefore it didn't make it onto the Soundtrack CD, because these CDs go to press many months before the movie comes out and sometimes before they are finished. That is why TMBG's song doesn't make it on the CD. Shaughn -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 05:51:42 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <372588AE.5528BEE@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: A couple requests Jason Fickley wrote: > 2) Interps for Reprehensible A ghost's guilty conscience? A drug-induced paranoid hallucination? Or simply a great vehicle for the clarinet? We may never know.... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 05:53:48 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3725892C.9B856708@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: CD burning, Simpsons picture question Amy : wrote: > > Ok, here's a question for all you who have burned CD's: I need to know how > to get two tracks on the CD seamlessly, with no space in between them. I've > got 2 songs that blend into each other, and the space between them is rather > noticeable. dunno about the simpsons pictures, but you need to check and see if your CD-R supports "Disc-At-Once" mode, which will eliminate the 2-second gap between tracks. If it doesn't support this mode (mine doesn't) then you're stuck -- but if it does, then when you make a CD you need to make sure you select "Disc-At-Once", not "Track-At-Once" in your software. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3725D72E.8228180D@costello-online.com> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:26:38 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > > Nick Lowe wrote a song called 'What's so funny about peace love and > understanding' which ended up on 'The Bodyguard' soundtrack recorded > by, I believe Michael Bolton. It was simply awful (and before you ask it > was my pre-teenage daughter who purchased the soundtrack and now > deeply doesn't listen to it!) but the point is that Nick Lowe said several > times that he made about just under a #1 million out of that song. Like I > said I suspect it is all about money. That's entirely possible, but just to clarify, I doubt Mr. Lowe made the majority of his million quid off of that particular recording. The song was also recorded in 1979 by a certain Declan MacManus, whom you probably know better as Elvis Costello (who can kick Michael Bolton's ass, btw!). To make this semi-TMBG related (check this out!), when I went to their show at Stubb's BBQ in Austin last year, I heard them do that same song during sound check, sung by Linnell, if you care. I think it would be really cool if they actually did do that song during a show. I don't even wanna *think* of what Bolton's version of that song sounds like. You can find Costello's on his _Armed Forces_ album; I love it (the album and the song)! Searching for light in the darkness of insanity, Danielle -- URL: http://come.to/cherubino And give me back my evil heart So I can see you as you are... --John Linnell, "Maine" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990427154653.2346.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A couple requests Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 08:46:52 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Apr-99 TMBG: A couple requests >by Jason Fickley@psu.edu >> 2) Interps for Reprehensible > >Drugs. Or maybe sex. Or rock and roll, perhaps? Seriously, though, I take "Reprehensible" fairly literally. It's about a guy who feels guilty for the rotten stuff he's done in his past lives. I suppose it's sort of a "bad karma trip," to put it in slang terms. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The intrusive whisper fascinates me" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Hypnotic Clambake, Square Dance Messiah _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:32:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Whats the Buzz, New Site, Dr. Evil... -Reply Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > If this is the song that opens the film then it is a disgrace that it isn't on > the soundtrack but I suspect it all to do with money. > Nick Lowe wrote a song called 'What's so funny about peace love and > understanding' which ended up on 'The Bodyguard' soundtrack recorded > by, I believe Michael Bolton. It was simply awful Is this the same "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding" that Elvis Costello did? And I think even then it was a cover... Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Message-ID: Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:17:55 -0500 On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:10:20 -0700 eRiCh wrote: > Would you belive that someone is paying $30.00 for the 'Devil went down to newport town' cd single on ebay???? if these people are online haven't they heard of websites that sell CD's for original price????? eRiCh i say we all take our devil cds, dump em off at ebay for $30, and buy new ones. * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199904271720.NAA123348@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:21:23 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single At 11:17 AM 4/27/99 -0500, Jeremy Skrenes wrote: >i say we all take our devil cds, dump em off at ebay for $30, and buy >new ones. Ha, even better yet, I say we all make cd-r copies of our Live!! NYC cd's and sell the copies on ebay for $60. It happens. --Jason "Pirating is bad, m'kay?" Fickley-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:31:32 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3725F474.6CE021F9@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Jason Fickley wrote: > At 11:17 AM 4/27/99 -0500, Jeremy Skrenes wrote: > >i say we all take our devil cds, dump em off at ebay for $30, and buy > >new ones. > > Ha, even better yet, I say we all make cd-r copies of our Live!! NYC cd's > and sell the copies on ebay for $60. It happens. eBay does not endorse CD-r's, nor do they sacrifice small goat-human hybrids to the eternal marshmallow king in the sky... (Basically, I suppose, I'm just saying, someone would see the CDr and report it before it was sold, as I see constantly happen on eBay to TMBG bootlegs of DAS's which have to be of such low quality that they would be nearly unlistenable, though people start bidding the item up in value almost immediately, oft-times reaching the amazing level of 3 Gazillion dollars in matter of nanoseconds.) > --Jason "Pirating is bad, m'kay?" Fickley-- m'kay, Mr. Mackey... AKA Bob "Ow! My left chest!" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:27:30 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3725F382.576D6D20@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single Jeremy Skrenes wrote: > On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:10:20 -0700 eRiCh wrote: > > > Would you belive that someone is paying $30.00 for the 'Devil went > down to newport town' cd single on ebay???? if these people are online > haven't they heard of websites that sell CD's for original price????? > eRiCh > > i say we all take our devil cds, dump em off at ebay for $30, and buy > new ones. That may sound like a good idea, but I've been one of these people who've watched eBay since about February, and I've seen Devil Went Down to Newport CDs go for $8 and less on several occasions (but usually it was in a reserve auction, the CD was used, and the winner didn't get the item because the damn reserve wasn't met... Greedy people at eBay anyway....)... You may gather from that that I bid on it once, but I'm past that now... Anywho, the only CDs you might have any luck making money off of on eBay (by TMBG, as well as TMBG endeavors/spinoffs) would be as follows (CDs unless otherwise noted): The Guitar (American Single): I've seen this go for up to $50, but recently about $30 Istanbul (Americal Single): $15 + Istanbul (Import Single w/o Ant... Grrr...): I've seen it go for more than the American Istanbul, but anymore, it's going for $10 or less sometimes.... Any Hello CD Club CD: Well, maybe not any, but most of the time, they go for a premium price O' Tannenbaum Single (Vinyl): This tends to go for more than $15 There are probably more, but I'm sure I've bored everyone with this list... But maybe, just maybe, one or 2 of you actually LIKE the Mattel Chocobots Action Hour... AKA Bob "Oddball" SCott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990427134119.00935650@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:42:49 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff "Devil" Single At 11:17 AM 4/27/99, Jeremy Skrenes wrote: > >i say we all take our devil cds, dump em off at ebay for $30, and buy >new ones. Finally! Someone with some sense. :-) Instead of asking why people are so stupid, I agree with Jeremy -- take advantage of their stupidity and make some money. I sold 6 CDs I bought at the local record store, sold them on eBay in January as "rarities", and made almost $100 profit. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990427182957.66619.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:29:50 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >Anywho, the only CDs you might have any luck making money >off of on eBay (by TMBG, as well as TMBG endeavors/spinoffs) would be >as follows (CDs unless otherwise noted): > >O' Tannenbaum Single (Vinyl): This tends to go for more than $15 Doesn't the Info Club sell it for seven or eight dollars? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Wie treu sind deine Blaetter" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: The Dukes of Stratosphear, Chips from the Chocolate Fireball _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3725CA72.BA8CB43@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:32:20 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: NON-TMBG: David Garza Kirsten L. Brodbeck wrote: > I knew you in another life > You were the tears I used to cry > Now you're the storm inside the waves > When you touch me I float away. > - David Garza Ok, I finally have to ask about this. I've seen this quote at the end of your sig, Kirsten, and I've always really liked it. So I did a search for David Garza and found like one page, and I concluded he has a band of some sort (unless he's Attorney David L. Garza :-) ). So, any and all information would be appreciated to satisfy my curiousity about him. Oh, and I'd love to see all the lyrics of the song you quoted from. Thanks! Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990427183332.33539.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Piracy (was TMBG: Mono Puff) Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:33:31 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >Jason Fickley wrote: >> --Jason "Pirating is bad, m'kay?" Fickley-- > >m'kay, Mr. Mackey... Don't tell that to eriKa. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:17:19 EST From: diphenhydramine is my friend Message-ID: <009D7449.819DA580.296@kenyon.edu> Subject: RE: NON-TMBG: David Garza here is david garza's web page... http://www.eden.com/~wideopen/ he is really really really good live. i mean really. and i got to meet him. and he is gorgeous and super-nice. okay, i will stop now. this question wasn't even really directed toward me. :) oh yes, and it's "dah-VEED garza." to quote him, "hey, it's tough being hispanic!" just FYI. love to all, becky From: MX%"kocar.1@osu.edu" "Diana Kocar" 27-APR-1999 15:03:53.21 To: MX%"tmbg-list@tmbg.org" CC: Subj: NON-TMBG: David Garza Kirsten L. Brodbeck wrote: > I knew you in another life > You were the tears I used to cry > Now you're the storm inside the waves > When you touch me I float away. > - David Garza Ok, I finally have to ask about this. I've seen this quote at the end of your sig, Kirsten, and I've always really liked it. So I did a search for David Garza and found like one page, and I concluded he has a band of some sort (unless he's Attorney David L. Garza :-) ). So, any and all information would be appreciated to satisfy my curiousity about him. Oh, and I'd love to see all the lyrics of the song you quoted from. Thanks! Diana * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Return-Path: Received: from hawaii.kenyon.edu by kcvax3.kenyon.edu (MX V4.2 VAX) with SMTP; Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:03:32 EST Resent-To: Rayr@vaxmail.kenyon.edu Resent-From: rayr@kenyon.edu Resent-Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:06 -0400 Resent-Message-ID: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (unverified [209.249.97.242]) by hawaii.kenyon.edu (Rockliffe SMTPRA 2.1.7) with ESMTP id for ; Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:06 -0400 Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id OAA88950; Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:34 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id OAA88930 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu (srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu [164.107.3.56]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id OAA88920 for ; Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:31:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kocar.1@osu.edu) Received: (qmail 26210 invoked from network); 27 Apr 1999 18:31:31 -0000 Received: from rbra-90-210.resnet.ohio-state.edu (HELO osu.edu) (164.107.90.210) by srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu with SMTP; 27 Apr 1999 18:31:31 -0000 Message-ID: <3725CA72.BA8CB43@osu.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:32:20 +0000 From: Diana Kocar X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.06 [en] (Win98; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: TMBG List Subject: NON-TMBG: David Garza References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Diana Kocar ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990427192712.13119.rocketmail@web214.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:27:12 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 hey. who's going to the rochester show. i know i have a ride and can get a ticket, but i'm not %100 percent sure that it's not 18+ i don't think it is, because my cousin went when he was under 18 to a show at the same venue. At the show the bassist, Graham it think got hit in the head with a beer bottle that someone threw on stage and they cut the show short. lets hope nothing like that happens again. oh also older is now up for free at www.goodnoise.com === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:33:49 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, KRS Tyler wrote: > hey. who's going to the rochester show. i know i have a ride and can > get a ticket, but i'm not %100 percent sure that it's not 18+ i don't > think it is, because my cousin went when he was under 18 to a show at > the same venue. At the show the bassist, Graham it think got hit in > the head with a beer bottle that someone threw on stage and they cut > the show short. I'm getting the feeling that this is a *very* skewed rememberance of the Roch show where Flans got hit with something (wasn't it a scrunched up 20 oz. pop bottle?) and got pissed and the show was cut short. Or is Rochester just *really* bad luck for our boys? Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <94e1a9b8.24577c05@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:45:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 >> hey. who's going to the rochester show. i am! > i know i have a ride and can >> get a ticket, but i'm not %100 percent sure that it's not 18+ i don't >> think it is, because my cousin went when he was under 18 to a show at >> the same venue. the show has no age restrictions. on the ticket, it says an under 21 surcharge may apply. but last time they said that, it didn't. that still does not mean it's a restriction. LISTEN TO ME. it is all ages. > At the show the bassist, Graham it think got hit in >> the head with a beer bottle that someone threw on stage and they cut >> the show short. incorrect. i was _there_. ::sigh:: another game of "telephone", eh? what really happened: > > I'm getting the feeling that this is a *very* skewed rememberance >of the Roch show where Flans got hit with something (wasn't it a scrunched >up 20 oz. pop bottle?) and got pissed and the show was cut short. Or is >Rochester just *really* bad luck for our boys? it ended up being a crumpled up poster. it hit flansburgh. and it only happened once. not at every show they played in rochester. and the whole crowd was chanting "asshole" at the guy who did it. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:23:24 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Piracy (was TMBG: Mono Puff) + New BF5 album! Message-ID: <19990427.172324.4454.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >"Pirating is bad, m'kay?" >Don't tell that to eriKa. Damn straight. Pirating's the life for me. Arr matey. Anyhoo, I got Ben Folds Five's The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner (my mom's so nice ), and I've listened to it twice... and... gosh, what can I say? I love it. It's not too much like the "old" Ben Folds Five in many aspects, but it's got some beautiful songs. I am one happy pirate, let me tell you. On a side note, not only do Squirrel Nut Zippers Tom Maxwell and Ken Mosher perform on the album (perhaps in repayment for Ben appearing in the "Suits are Picking Up the Bill" video...hm.), and John Mark Painter of Fleming & John shows up frequently, but there is also an appearance by... Frank London! hooray. :) ever-sincere, eriKa, play "Free Bird!" And keep away from my mom! "I loved you before I met you, and I met you just in time." - Ben Folds Five, "Don't Change Your Plans" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:46:07 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester Show, and Older mp3 Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > it ended up being a crumpled up poster. it hit flansburgh. and it only > happened once. not at every show they played in rochester. and the whole > crowd was chanting "asshole" at the guy who did it. Yeah, I have a copy of the boot somewheres. That was kinda neat. :) Kirs I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:23:41 -0500 (CDT) From: rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU Subject: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Message-id: To all of you that were at the Des Moines show last night, you know how much it rocked. However there was something a bit unusual. During WDTSS?, the Johns switched parts. That is, Linnell did all the singing, and Flans did all the talking parts. Have they been doing that at other shows? --Jamal "Hydrogen, Copper, Alumninum, and Wood" Rogers ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301be92a0$7fc21100$56a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:29:22 -0700 scientists have found that the song has been interchangable in the past. I have heard several live versions where it is switched linnel/flans and flans/linnel. how they decide i do not know. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990428005822.44675.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Alex Cobain" Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL/Fruvous/TMBG MD Masters to Trade Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:58:21 PDT >They Might Be Giants >9/28/98 - San Juan Capistrano - Coach House - 100min - Master - A I went to the concert at the coach house on september 12, 1998 and there was some guy that recorded the concert also and I was like hey I wonder if it's the same dude. but I doubt it cause then you woudl have listed that concert. Whoever that person was (i dunno if it was you) was in the back of the coachouse waiting to see john and john in their tourbus anyhoo I just wanted to know if you were that same person I make no sense now and I don't even know what I saying but my friend that went to the concert with me told me to see if you were the same person anyhoo I guess I better go now before I confuse myself -me! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990428011209.62452.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Tonight's Futurama Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:12:08 PDT In tonight's episode, Bender invited Fry to the squid fights. Do you think they were fighting sperm whales? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Childhood's End" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: John Henry (Actually, it just finished about a minute ago.) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:26:30 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Tonight's Futurama Message-ID: <19990427.212630.4054.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan contemplated: >In tonight's episode, Bender invited Fry to the squid fights. Do you >think they were fighting sperm whales? Possibly! And you know, Mom called Fry a "dumbass" which is an insult somewhat equivalent to "you son of a bitch." ever-sincere, eriKa, can I wear your fat suit? "The three of us took a flight that night - Uncle Richard, me and James Earl Jones." - Ben Folds Five, "Lullabye" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <1d9ca451.2457c22a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:45:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: Futurama (new Subliminal message) Hey did anyone notice in the Futurama Episdoe where they deliver the package to lunar park. They also lose the ships' keys. the sign where the kid and the one-eyed lady went on the educational ride. The ride was named Destination Moon.!!! huh did anyone else notice that ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:28:52 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37267264.E5AA492A@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Futurama (new Subliminal message) Tmbg4life@aol.com wrote: > > Hey did anyone notice in the Futurama Episdoe where they deliver the package > to lunar park. They also lose the ships' keys. the sign where the kid and > the one-eyed lady went on the educational ride. The ride was named > Destination Moon.!!! huh did anyone else notice that Wasn't that on Family Guy??????? When the dad lost the Chuck E. Cheese (?!) reservation and then it turned into a dream sequence featuring Charo?! HOOCHIE KOOTCHIE?! Mike "Even *I* don't make that many Hitler References" Leffel ---madder than hell about the DES MOINES show. MadMadMad. Mad. ...pissy, even. ------------------------------ From: tkula@redragon.cx Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:55:44 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU wrote: > To all of you that were at the Des Moines show last night, you know how > much it rocked. However there was something a bit unusual. During WDTSS?, It did much more than rocked, it Kicked Arse(TM). I do have a question, though (and I don't believe it is in the FAQ): Last night (and at a show I was at a half-year ago) between the opening band and The Giants, there was some music being played that I can only describe as a Satanic Love Child of a Mariachi Band and a lounge act. Anyone know what it is, or is it just a completely random thing? Not that I enjoyed it, but I would like to be able to add it to the bad music collection (the stuff you play when the guys down the hall are playing really bad rap). # Thomas L. Kula: The Louis P. Weatherbacker Weirdo in Residence | 137 # # "The right to be heard does not include the | tk0003@acad.drake.edu # # right to be taken seriously." | www.keymaster.cx # # - Hubert H. Humphrey | "Weird Gratia Weirdus" # ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990427231534.0085b730@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:15:34 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? >Last night (and at a show I was at a half-year ago) between the opening >band and The Giants, there was some music being played that I can only >describe as a Satanic Love Child of a Mariachi Band and a lounge act. >Anyone know what it is, or is it just a completely random thing? Not that >I enjoyed it, but I would like to be able to add it to the bad music >collection (the stuff you play when the guys down the hall are playing >really bad rap). Ahh the bad rap. I remember the bad rap from my days in the dorm. The guys two doors down felt the need to share what I can only describe as a Mexican rap cover of Stayin' Alive with the rest of the quad. Blarphorama! For some truly bad music my roommate had two CD's we used to blast, one of William Shatner singing and one of Leonard Nimoy attempting to sing as well. He got them as a gag gift but we put them to good work. We also blasted Mojo Nixon, Enya and TMBG as well. One time someone had a song on repeat real loud that Weird Al had covered. We just blasted the Weird Al version right back. Muahahahaha! Just remember, the best bad music is music you like but the Loud Rap Yokels despise. Jeff "I am not the Anti-Elvis" Roberts "You have to sleep late when you can. And all your bad days will end." -Flaming Lips Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises The Stylishly Violent God of Time and All Things Edible jlr3@po.cwru.edu modnar@one.net Visit the stylish schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:36:19 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37268233.6F8992E1@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Futurama (new Subliminal message) Tmbg4life@aol.com wrote: > Hey did anyone notice in the Futurama Episdoe where they deliver the package > to lunar park. They also lose the ships' keys. the sign where the kid and > the one-eyed lady went on the educational ride. The ride was named > Destination Moon.!!! huh did anyone else notice that You didn't see nothing... Move along... :P AKA Bob "Let sleeping camels dry!" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:32:40 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37268158.FAFD6E37@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Tonight's Futurama Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Nathan contemplated: > >In tonight's episode, Bender invited Fry to the squid fights. Do you > >think they were fighting sperm whales? > > Possibly! And you know, Mom called Fry a "dumbass" which is an insult > somewhat equivalent to "you son of a bitch." And no one noticed the poster in the background of the Quasi-pizza place when Mom's kids had Fry? "Nixon's the One!" AKA Bob "Just an observation, though a damn weird coincidence, if you ask me!" SCott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990427223139.0082d140@lizard> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:31:39 -0500 From: Tarsi Subject: TMBG: CONCERT REVIEW: Des Moines, 4/26 Well, actually, it's more than a review, it's more my observations and reactions for the THEY concert, 4/26, at the Hoyt Sherman Auditorium in Des Moines. Warning: I was a TMBG concertvirgin until yesterday, so this will probably amuse you veteran people. Bear with me, I'm excited! THE PLACE: Never been there before, but man, was that a neat place to be in. Old, lots of neat, fancy designs on the walls, and really good acoustics. I noticed that on the end of Dr. Worm when Linnel sang the last phrase, it was very very clear. My only gripe about the place was that it would have been nice to have a clear floor to dance on. But, whatever. THE OPENER: Micheal Shelley, which honestly, he wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. I think I like one song of his the best, but I really don't know the title. I do, however, have several Shelley postcards, so if someone would like one mailed to them, let me know. THEY: Ok, this was just completely awesome. COMPLETELY. First, I think Linnel looks thinner and his hair is rather short, but other than that They were great. Flansburgh ran the show most of the time, which was cool. No, I can't remember the songs in order, but I really don't mind, I'll tell you about the ones I DO remember. :) They did 3(?) new numbers, the one I liked the best was called "Edith Head", very cool, I predict a good hit there. Dr. Worm was great, just great. I love it live as well as off the video. They did Spider, which was cool, a bit of improv there, Spy, with the whole improv section and all....very nice. Birdhouse, to which I got a great headache from headbanging. Spiraling Shape, which was good, but New York City was slow, I thought, I was used to it being faster, and I think it's better that way. Particle man with these cool light graphics of rotating triangles on the backdrop, etc... OH! Nearly forgot. Right before they did Shoehorn with Teeth, one of their stage hands brought out the glokenspiel to the center stage. Flans did this improv singing thing, saying that this was so-and-so, he was from here-and-such, and then he asked him to say where his parents were born. And he said Hampton, IA, my home town! Me and my friends were so kicked...after that was set up, Flans said something like, "Hampton, IA? What's it like there?" And so we shouted back that it was good, flat, and weird. It was great.... Near the end then, they did The Guitar and that kicked, some others....it all runs together. First encore was great, Flans let some guy play his guitar from the audience, lucky fellow. Also, they brought out the stick and did Lie Still to that...so, someone, please explain to me the origin of the Stick and it's significance, I mean, it was cool, but there might be some meaning behind it that I'm missing. Second encore, brought out the floating heads for Exquisite Dead Guy, those were weird but cool. Second song of second encore was of course, Istabul, and then I knew I was in heaven. :) No conga line, I think one person tried crowdsurfing, but most people there were content to jam in place...no moshes. I tried for a setlist, but it was so crowded and such that I didn't get there before they were gone. Picked up the They'll Need a Crane EP, wanted a shirt but didn't have the dough. They promised they'd come back to Des Moines next year, so I'm looking forward to that one! :) PRAISE THEY! Tarsi 210 * ---------------------------------------------------------- Want to get paid while surfing the web? Go here: http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=AOT516 * ---------------------------------------------------------- ICQ: 21386047 Web: http://www.cs.luther.edu/~prallena Talker: telnet://tfb.dhs.org:7000 * ---------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:16:50 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Message-ID: On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jeff Roberts wrote: > Ahh the bad rap. I remember the bad rap from my days in the dorm. The guys > two doors down felt the need to share what I can only describe as a Mexican > rap cover of Stayin' Alive with the rest of the quad. Blarphorama! For some > truly bad music my roommate had two CD's we used to blast, one of William > Shatner singing and one of Leonard Nimoy attempting to sing as well. My roomie and I blast Gypsy Kings or old Chumbawamba -- nothing like a little "Homophobia" played at top volume to make doors slam up and down the hall. ;) Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:20:21 -0500 (CDT) From: rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: Why does the sun change? Message-id: Say what you will, but one of those song was The Song From Slacker During The Scene With The Super 8s. BTW, Michael Shelley rocked. I was the guy who requested That's Where The Plaque Is. He said that song will never be played live. I wonder why (Jordan)? --Jamal "I am not you Overlord and Taylor" Rogers On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 tkula@redragon.cx wrote: > > > Last night (and at a show I was at a half-year ago) between the opening > band and The Giants, there was some music being played that I can only > describe as a Satanic Love Child of a Mariachi Band and a lounge act. > Anyone know what it is, or is it just a completely random thing? Not that > I enjoyed it, but I would like to be able to add it to the bad music > collection (the stuff you play when the guys down the hall are playing > really bad rap). > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-55 ******************************