Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-57 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 57 Friday, 30 April 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: dfb TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! RE: TMBG: dfb TMBG: Re:TMBG Bootleg Videos -- Shameless plug! Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! TMBG: Louisville show.. Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! Re: TMBG: Louisville show.. TMBG: columbus show tonight! TMBG: catalog? TMBG: Louisville show review (long) Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! TMBG: Denied TMBG: MP3 album TMBG: Re: Denied TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... Re: TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... TMBG: Webpage Re: TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... TMBG: intro to Giantness TMBG: Rochester show Re: TMBG: Rochester show Re: TMBG: Rochester show TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn!! Fw: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn! TMBG: columbus show mini-review Re: TMBG: columbus show mini-review Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <183c0f43.245960cc@aol.com> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 03:14:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: dfb is the video compilation avaliable in stores yet?????????? i'm gonna check tomorrow unless i hear a "no" plus did i hear something about TMBG recently recording some stuff in a studio or am i insane ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 02:35:40 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7g91i1$28h3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! wrote in message news:183c0f43.245960cc@aol.com... > is the video compilation avaliable in stores yet?????????? i'm gonna check > tomorrow unless i hear a "no" plus did i hear something about TMBG > recently recording some stuff in a studio or am i insane Yes it is in stores, I bought my copy from Best Buy yesterday. -Jay ------------------------------ From: "Lee" Subject: RE: TMBG: dfb Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 05:39:25 -0400 Message-ID: Wasn't DFB supposed to also be available in DVD? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37283350.8727A119@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 03:24:21 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG Bootleg Videos -- Shameless plug! [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 06:21:49 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! Message-ID: <28587-37285CED-6049@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Jay wrote: Yes it is in stores, I bought my copy from Best Buy yesterday. Now I'm writing: WHAT THE F*CK?! This is so not fair! We folks who ordered it from TMBProductions should have gotten it first, as a reward for our patience, and since it's straight from the source. I haven't recieved any of my stuff yet. Aside from DFB, I also got a green TMBG beanie, the O' Tannenbaum e.p., and, ummm, I could've sworn there was something else, but I can't remember since it's been so damn long! -Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:24:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: TMBG: Louisville show.. Message-ID: WARNING: This "review" contains a lot of rambling. bear with me. I thought I'd share with you my experience with the TMBG show last night in Louisville, KY. When the show was first announced, it was listed in the Kentucky Center for the Arts. Then it moved to the Brown theater, and back to the Kentucky Center. When it was in the Brown, the seats were reserved. Me and my friend (hereafter referred to as Sam) paid $28 a piece for tickets (including all the charges that go along with Ticketbastard.. err. Ticketmaster, I mean). Evidently, when they moved the show back to the Kentucky Center, it became general admission, and I heard people saying they paid about $16-18 for a ticket. I was a little miffed, but so life goes. Anyhow.. The theater was interesting... The seating was raked, with area about the size of an orchestra pit right in front of the stage. The stage itself was only thigh high. No one ventured into the pit area during Michael Shelly's act (which I'm actually starting to enjoy, after the 3rd time. Then again, I love anyone that gives me a free cd. I think he's better live than he is on cd, though.) So we sat in an aisle seat (oddly enough, we ended up next to a friend's sister. small world.).. when TMBG came on stage, everyone ran down and rushed it, and.. I ended up RIGHT in front of John Linnell for the second time in two weeks. The man's probably going to put a restraining order on me sometime soon. ;) But it was actually kind of weird. Like I said, the stage was thigh high, and there was NO security. The theoretical fourth wall was broken down, and it was a little uncomfortable. I mean, if Linnell would have leaned a little over his keyboard, he could have touched me, and the other people in the front row. As far as their set goes, it was pretty standard. Two encored, etc etc. They used the big stick, the puppets, the confetti cannon (I have so much confetti now that I'm going to make a little art project out of it). Flansburgh's puppet was inches from mine and Sam's faces. People were touching it (understandable), but some people were trying to grab it, so I kind nudged people. I hope I didn't upset anyone. :) But.. after the incident earlier in the evening.. As I said, the stage was low. One minute, I'm sitting there, jamming, the next minute, I see a chick running onto stage. She just hopped up there and hugged LInnell, who was quite understandably a bit freaked out. The chick was drunk, she was right beside me during most of the show. It kind of bummed me out, b/c for the rest of the show I was glancing at her every ten seconds to make sure she wasn't going to try it agian. To quote Flans: "Where the FUCK is security???" I wanted to know the same thing. So if anyone saw me, I was the chick up front in the blue shirt next to the random chick that decided she was going to declare her love for TMBG in a more physical manner than the rest of us. Geez. I can't believe people sometimes. They did a beautiful version of Instanbul with Dan Miller playing acoustic guitar. I really enjoyed it. As for new material, "She Thinks She's Edith Head" and "It's Loud in Here" made appearances. Random comments I remember from John and John. Linnell: "We have a new album out. It's a live album. It's exactly like this. If you listen hard enough, you can even hear yourselves in the background." Flans: "This is an odd theater. You guys in front.. where did you get the feed? [points to a chick eating a banana] I don't see anyone selling food anywhere." (turns out, they had brought it from home) Flans: "The heads have their own album. You should check it out. Some interesting stuff." And one from Michael Shelley: "Kill whitey!" OK. I've babbled long enough. If you made it this far in the letter, congratulations. You get a cookie. Or a banana. Love, Colleen Anne ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <3988a59.2459b9f9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:34:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! In a message dated 99-04-29 09:23:01 EDT, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: > WHAT THE F*CK?! This is so not fair! We folks who ordered it > from TMBProductions should have gotten it first, as a reward for our > patience, and since it's straight from the source. That's why I didn't ordre from TMBP. TMBP gets their shipment of videos from the manufacturer/warehouse at the SAME time as Best Buy/Media Play/etc. That's also why I buy magazines at the newstand. Dealers get their case same time as the distributors. It's fucked up, but such is life. (and besides, I only paid $5 for DFB, so nyaaahnyaaaaah.) One thing: Damn. You can TELL it's 1986 in the early videos. Flansie looks VERY Mod. Hooper_X ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:05:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Louisville show.. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Apr-99 TMBG: Louisville show.. by Colleen McClanahan@mik.u > As I said, the stage was low. One minute, I'm sitting there, jamming, > the next minute, I see a chick running onto stage. She just hopped up > there and hugged LInnell, who was quite understandably a bit freaked out. > The chick was drunk, she was right beside me during most of the show. It ugh. he should have beaten her down with his accordion. this happened during the John Henry tour, too, quite possibly even in the same city... (same person?) only that time, there was security, and they hauled her out of there faster than John and John could say "I'llneverknowwhatyoufindwhenyouuopenupyourletterboxtomorrow." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:23:01 EST From: "you're trying to impose grammar on southern white boy phrases!" Message-ID: <009D75C3.7CE92660.26@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: columbus show tonight! hello all, i will be at the columbus show tonight. i'm sort of medium-short with artificially red hair and blue eyes. i'll be wearing my pearl shirt (poor thing is seriously on its last legs) and possibly my green pants if all goes well. you never can tell with pants. some of them have a mind of their own! anyway, i'll be with a medium-tall bald kid who wears glasses. come say hello to us. love, becky ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199904291633.MAA05092@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: catalog? Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:33:25 -0400 (EDT) Hello, With all of the talk about DFB I realized that I had a credit with TMBP. So I decided to go to tmbg.com and look in their catalog for this video. In fact, they had no videos listed, not even a video section to check out. I looked through albums, eps, products, everything, but can't find any information. I'd rather use my credit than shell out the $15 to buy it if possible. Can anyone help? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3728900D.118F6E9D@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:59:57 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: TMBG: Louisville show review (long) OK, Paul. I'm only doing this because of your request. I haven't written a concert review since I was writing for fanzines almost 15 years ago. So, bear with me, y'all. (Note: I'm posting this to NG and mailing list. I apologise for any deja vu experienced by readers of both.) They Might Be Giants, Louisville, KY, Bomhard Theatre, 4/28/99 This was one weird f*ckin' show...not just by Giants standards, but by all standards. Imagine going to see a concert by a major recording artist and the experience turning into something akin to watching your brother's band rehearse in the garage. That is the only way I can describe this show. I arrived with my friend Sasha (The world's first Belarussian TMBG concert attendee? Who knows?) at around 7:30 pm. Another friend, Dale, had arrived an hour or so earlier, before the doors opened (he said he was second in line), and managed to get in and save us fantastic seats. This was a great bonus, but it probably wasn't necessary. This place was tiny, and all the seating was raked quite steep. I don't think there was a "bad" seat in the house. The place really had the feel (in size and layout) of a movie theatre. Anyway, our seats were on the aisle in the center section, toward stage right, four or five rows back. There was an area in front of the stage for people to stand, but this wasn't happening just yet. There was no barrier, and the stage platform itself was (maybe) three feet high. The only thing even resembling security were the old codger ticket-takers who normally work the doors at Kentucky Center for the Arts events. However, I had the feeling security wouldn't be needed. The crowd was *so* quiet and well-behaved it was almost frightening. This was definitely not a moshing, crowd-surfing, drunken antics group...in fact, I was begining to feel like I'd accidentally walked into some sort of assembly for the Children of God, rather than a rock 'n roll show. As I'd expected, the crowd was young-ish...average age 18 or so. Michael Shelly opened (Flans came out and introduced him), but didn't inspire much enthusiasm from anyone. I didn't think he was bad, exactly, but he didn't inspire much enthusiasm from me, either. I enjoyed "Surfer Joan" and wished more of his songs had been that energetic. During his set, the night's strangeness began to sink in. The way this place was designed, if someone in the crowd made a comment or responded to anything Shelly said, it was audible through the entire house. So, it was a rather "intimate" setting. It's not often a performer onstage can maintain an actual dialog with someone 30 rows back, but it was quite possible this time. Stage rap wasn't gonna work, it wasn't a crowd-and-spectator type thing. I've been to many shows at which a person in the front would shout something to the band and the band would respond...80% of the crowd wouldn't know what was said or why. In this place everybody heard everything and responded accordingly. It was quite bizarre. Between shows, we sat and sipped our beers. The stage lights flashed brightly in our faces. I suppose at most shows, these lights are above the heads of the crowd and just look pretty. But, those of us in the first few rows at this show were treated to a sample of what it's like to be *on* the stage. The lights were right in our faces and eyes and got to be uncomfortably hot. Yow. Pre-show torture for fun and profit. When They came onstage, the floor filled up quickly with bouncing bodies. I saw another review on the mailing list saying the stage was "rushed", but it was the most orderly and laid-back rush I've ever seen. My friends and I stayed in our seats as it gave us a perfect vantage point. The row we were in was just over the heads of those standing down front. They started with "She's an Angel" then went right into "Doctor Worm", during which Linnell did a verse of "Total Eclipse (of the Heart)". Ha! After this, Linnell addressed a young man down front who was holding up a sign he'd made. "It's really nice that you made that, but could you please not wave it around. It's very distracting." This inspired a story from him about trying to play a place with a mirrored back wall ("We kept looking at our hair.") and a story from Flans about people at another show who'd brought pictures of Their faces on sticks and waved them about. He compared it to the worst acid trip you could have. After this, I lost track of the song list order, but I remember the following were played (not including encores...I'll get to those)..."Don't Let's Start", "Mammal", "James K. Polk", "Ana Ng", "No One Knows My Plan", "Spy", "Why Does the Sun Shine", "She Thinks She's Edith Head", "It's So Loud in Here", "The Guitar", "She's Actual Size", "Birdhouse in Your Soul", "Your Racist Friend", "Shoehorn With Teeth", "Whistling in the Dark", "Someone Stole My Eye" (is this the name?) and "Particle Man". I *think* that's all of 'em. They also did an "improv" of a New Orleans style blues thing. At first, I thought it was an actual spontaneous thing...It seemed like it from the general confusion onstage. But, then Flans started singin "Who fucked up the show", and I realised it wasn't. The band seemed in a weird place, psychologically. Maybe because they were in a weird place, physically. They didn't seem totally freaked by the nature of the venue and crowd...but a bit nervous, as if they expected something odd to happen. It did. During "Particle Man", a young girl climbed on the stage and hugged Linnell. It was creepy because everything went dead quiet while Linnell said something like, "uh...oh...wait a minute. you can't be up here." She was led away and there were a few moments of uncomfortable silence as Linnell looked completely shaken, talked about how distracting that was, and Flans made some loud comments about the lack of security. Although it was wrong of her to do it, I have to say this crowd was very well-behaved by anyone's standards, and the girl was certainly not a serious threat to safety...just to Linnell's extreme sense of personal space. It was perhaps blown out of proportion, but only for a minute. She went back to the floor, they regained their composure (ditching the rest of Particle Man), and things went on from there. I was worried it was going to blow their attitude for the rest of the show, but things eventually seemed to gear up again. At one point shortly after the incident, Linnell mentioned that this was a really weird show...and pointed out a guy down front as an example. "Where did you get that food? Are they serving food here?", Guy: "No. I brought it." Linnell: "You brought food to our show? That's never happened before!" The improv during "Spy" was kinda sad...not as good as the others I've seen. At one point, someone from the back yelled "Just play a song!" which seemed to make them lose it. There was a conga line for "NOKMP" on the floor, but those of us in our seats refrained from trying it. I don't know anyone else's reasons, but mine was the steepness of the grade in the seating...Had one person tripped and started a domino effect, there would have been some people seriously hurt. My favorite moment had to be, though, during "WDTSS?" Linnell sang and Flans did the spoken bits...Now, a quick aside: In downtown Louisville is a big old hotel called the Galt House. It's right on the Ohio River and is decorated much like an 18th century French whorehouse. Everything is crushed velvet, brocade, and tapestry and *none* of it matches. It is the epitome of kitsch, best because it was never intended to be. So...back to the show: Apparently the Johns were staying at, or familiar with, this hotel because, during "WDTSS?", Flans shouted , "What most people don't know is that scientists have discovered the sun is actually a giant replica of the Galt House! It's an exact copy! But...it's...on...FIRE!!" There were a lot of other fun moments, exchanges with the audience, etc., but this review is getting unwieldy...so let's get on with it. The show ended and, before leaving the stage, Flans did something wierd, he snatched up his song list, then went around the stage and took all the song lists. I'd never seen that before. My friend Dale turned and asked me if the band had a paper shortage and needed the lists for the next show...I dunno...He seemed to be crumpling them all up. They came back out, of course. The first encore included "Lie Still, Little Bottle" (with stick), "They Got Lost", "The Famous Polka", and "Twisting"...I think in that order. The final encore consisted of "Exquisite Dead Guy" (with puppet heads) and "Istanbul". If anyone else was there and has corrections or additions to this, please go for it...I was enjoying the show, not making notes. Flans and Linnell both commented numerous times on what a great place this was and how they really wanted to come back, but the fear in their eyes belied the truth...No, I'm not sure if they were sincere or not...maybe. They really seemed to be having difficulty deciding whether the intimate nature of the show was great or threatening. Only time will tell, if they return to us again. CN ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:04:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn in stores now!! >Jay wrote: > Yes it is in stores, I bought my copy from Best Buy yesterday. > >Now I'm writing: > WHAT THE F*CK?! This is so not fair! We folks who ordered it >from TMBProductions should have gotten it first, as a reward for our >patience, and since it's straight from the source. ohhh relax. you get a sticker. (i got a yellow oval one with my order a couple years ago, and it lived on my cd walkman a long time until it faded and shriveled and died) > I haven't recieved >any of my stuff yet. Aside from DFB, I also got a green TMBG beanie, hat. "beanie" implies one of those annoying, expensive palm sized stuffed toys. or at least it does when you like i have a 9 year old little sister.. i wanted one of those green hats - or call 'em toques even, because that's fun to say (tOOhks) - but i got one at a show (a year ago) and all they had was baby blue. i got DFB today! wow, dr. worm is even better than i remember it from that crappy web browser player. cute. annnnd i got the new ben folds 5 limited edition (cd with video). woo! nice. {media play was hiding the special limited pack on the other side of the top 30 video shelf! ha!} i can't wait for tomorrow's tmbg show.. wow.. tomorrow eh. i might not be wearing my mono puff shirt and green sneaks.. could be wearing my bf5 shirt and black shoes instead. we'll see. :) sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <29APR99.15499378.0058.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:21:04 EDT From: Misty Subject: TMBG: Denied Yesterday I skipped my 2:00 class and went on the hunt for Direct From Brooklyn (I also bought some hair dye, but that's another story). I went to three stores: Circuit City, Record Town, and Suncoast, and none of them had it. I asked the clerks at Record Town and Circuit City when, or if, they were going to be getting the tape in, and the guy at Record Town had at least heard of the tape, and said to check back nextTuesday because they might have it then. The guy at Circuit City (who actually appeared to be my own age), when I asked him about the tape, said "They Might Be Giants? Oh, God, no! There's not enough demand for them." Of course, I should have told the guy that if there wasn't any demand for them, then why do you have their CDs on your shelves. I should have, but, alas, I did not. Misty http://lavender.fortunecity.com/fullmonty/22/mywebpage.htm ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: TMBG: MP3 album Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:53:38 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC i have a question that has been plaguing me since i first heard about long tall weekend...if i don't have a cd writer, am i just out of luck? i feel so out of the loop. and has it been released yet? thanks so much. kristi ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:09:21 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7gadn9$2tjk$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Denied Misty wrote in message news:29APR99.15499378.0058.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU... > Yesterday I skipped my 2:00 class and went on the hunt for Direct From > Brooklyn (I also bought some hair dye, but that's another story). I went > to three stores: Circuit City, Record Town, and Suncoast, and none of > them had it. I asked the clerks at Record Town and Circuit City when, or > if, they were going to be getting the tape in, and the guy at Record > Town had at least heard of the tape, and said to check back nextTuesday > because they might have it then. The guy at Circuit City (who actually > appeared to be my own age), when I asked him about the tape, said "They > Might Be Giants? Oh, God, no! There's not enough demand for them." Of > course, I should have told the guy that if there wasn't any demand for > them, then why do you have their CDs on your shelves. I should have, > but, alas, I did not Well, that might be for the best, since if you pointed it out, they might've realized that they shouldn't stock the CD's either. Anyways, I notice that you didn't try Best Buy, where I got my copy. One thing I do when looking for a hard to find object is to call stores and ask if they have it, as opposed to driving around. Usually, if they do have a copy, they are willing to put it on hold for you, at least for the rest of the day. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:22:35 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7gaegb$2u4o$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com wrote... > i have a question that has been plaguing me since i first heard > about long tall weekend...if i don't have a cd writer, am i just out > of luck? i feel so out of the loop. and has it been released yet? > thanks so much. You're out of luck if you.... ....don't have a PC that can play MP3s. ....don't own a credit card to pay for the MP3s. ....want it on CD but don't own a CD Writer, or... ....don't have a friend who owns a CD Writer. ....wanted it to be officially released on CD. ....wanted MP3s in higher quality than 128kbps. These are all the ways I think you can get screwed by this album, but if anyone else has other ways, feel free to add them. It seems almost everyone here has a gripe about the MP3 album, even one's with a CD writer and a good PC. Note to kristi: you don't need a cd writer to listen to the mp3's, but you won't be able to take them away from your PC, except on tape. And no, it's not released yet. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990429151039.0083fe70@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:10:39 -0500 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... >Note to kristi: you don't need a cd writer to listen to the mp3's, but you >won't be able to take them away from your PC, except on tape. And >no, it's not released yet. > Not entirely true. You can take it away from the PC if you happen to have a portable Mp3 player. Shaughn -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:17:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: Webpage I know this isn't TMBG related....... Well....I don't know if anybody tried my webpage last time I sent out the link, but I realized later that the page wasn't working!!! Anyway, I think I worked out the bugs (think is the key word).... Check it out! Okay, not alot of you care about fake petz, but other pages and links will be added (when I'm not bogged down with school work!) Oh yeah, I know that a few of you have homepages, but due to stupidity....I lost almost all my links!! If you would like me to post a link to your homepage, send me the link. Umm...(what else?) oh yeah! In a feeble attempt a wishing that I could make money so Eric doesn't have to pay for my schooling..I entered into an agreement with CDNow where if you take the link to their webpage and then proceed to by Cds or movies...I will get a tiny commission. I don't know..some of you might already have the same thing.... but if you don't, and you buy music online (their prices are actually pretty decent!) would you consider helping out a friend that really needs the money????? (okay, so maybe friend is a strong word for some of you...try acquaintance) There's a long story behind why a married gal is sooo in desperate need of money..but I won't bother you all with that now (hey..I heard that sigh of relief!!!) I guess I bothered you enough now.... Let me know if there is anything still not working on the webpage (please!!) Talk to y'all later!!! ~Kimberly ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:48:42 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7gag19$2vcs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3 album, you're out of luck if..... El Dee Bee wrote in message news:3.0.6.32.19990429151039.0083fe70@pop.mindspring.com_... > >Note to kristi: you don't need a cd writer to listen to the mp3's, but you > >won't be able to take them away from your PC, except on tape. And > >no, it's not released yet. > > > Not entirely true. You can take it away from the PC if you happen to have > a portable Mp3 player. My bad. I apologize to all those who own port. mp3 players, all 50 of you. Just kidding, but seriously, for most people w/ out a CDR or mp3 player, tape will be the only option. (okay and MD, but about as many people own those as own mp3 players, probably the same people too...) -Jay ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:45:11 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: intro to Giantness Message-ID: <24038-3728D2E7-2283@postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I was wondering if anybody on here possibly knows someone or is someone who was introduced to TMBG through Mono Puff, or maybe even Hello the Band or John Linnell? I know it's highly unlikely, but it's possible. You could not even know who They are, but find a Mono Puff c.d. in a record store, get it, and learn to love that before even realizing there's a whole other world of Flansy within TMBG. Although most people get into solo projects through Them. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990429235017.7518.rocketmail@web214.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:50:17 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Rochester show Yeah, i'll be at the Rochester show. I'll be wearing a blue shirt with the flood logo on it and the johns on the back. it's from a 1992 show at cornell although i would have been 9 at the time. by the way don't try to find me because i'll be really freaked out... doors are at 8 right? === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990429214706.006ca6ac@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:47:06 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester show At 04:50 PM 4/29/99 -0700, you wrote: > >Yeah, i'll be at the Rochester show. I'll be wearing a blue shirt with >the flood logo on it and the johns on the back. it's from a 1992 show >at cornell although i would have been 9 at the time. by the way don't >try to find me because i'll be really freaked out... doors are at 8 right? I, too, will be at the Rochester show. I'm taking my little sister to her first TMBG show, and taking my friends Luke and Ryan to their second each, and second in two weeks. (April 16th at Lock Haven) I'm wearing my customary concert-going t-shirt, which is a faded black, with a yellow 51 on the back. It is my understanding that it pre-dates me by several months. Doors are at 8:00, says WBER. Dylan Flipse - dflipse@csrlink.net http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <9ccfc7ea.245a6606@aol.com> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:48:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Rochester show I found my little stuffed bunny so he (Harvey) can accompany me to my show! Yay to the Lagomorph! -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: superman75@juno.com Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:18:47 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn Message-ID: <19990429.221850.-912829.0.Superman75@juno.com> hi. i checked with our computer system at work. the wall/camelot music does have it in listed. if you want a copy, it is available for special order. most stores won't carry it. get it from the catalouge or from a local music store. after that, it's just a full day's drive away...via UPS. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001c01be92bf$f2c41c60$dfd25c90@jay> From: "Jay" Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn!! Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:14:30 -0500 >> Yes it is in stores, I bought my copy from Best Buy yesterday > > Yep,yep! That is correct. the TMBG Comp tape are in you local stores! In > fact, I do know that Tower Records sells them because I'm the one who stocked > it! :) So if you don't have it yet run out and get your copy today! :) Take > care and enjoy the video! > > Carroll387 This is interesting, did you order it for all the stores, or just the one you work at? -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005801be92c6$fd7d9bc0$dfd25c90@jay> From: "Jay" Subject: Fw: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn! Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:04:47 -0500 ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Thursday, April 29, 1999 11:18 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Direct From Brooklyn! > This is interesting, did you order it for all the stores, or just the one > you work at? > > -Jay > > That's a very good question Jay. I would image that all Tower Records stores > would carry this video considering the fact that ... at least when I work I > would call another Tower to see if they have it on hand. If they do the > customer can request stock transfer for his/her convince. So, there you have > it!.or do you? Go and get this hot lit' number before Tower runs out of > them! ;) Have fun. > > ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:36:49 EST From: "you're trying to impose grammar on southern white boy phrases!" Message-ID: <009D7632.60FFEB40.111@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: columbus show mini-review hello all. i am dead. so dead. i danced muchly at the show and i have a sore throat and at 9 a.m. i must give a presentation for my bio class, in an auditorium. and it was all smoky. i will be lucky if i'm able to talk in the morning. but first, before i go to bed, i must BEGIN my presentation. heh heh. okay. enough about me. the columbus show was, by far, the best show i've seen. they opened with "dr. evil" while these red lights beat down on an empty stage. some people were complaining, but others knew what was going on. i think this made up for the hour of surf rock i had to endure between michael shelley (he was very cool, by the way) and tmbg. i like surf rock, but that was just too much. okay. so then they played "particle man." linnell looked less than happy. he played a short short version. i only saw two people besides myself make a triangle sign. but he did sing a line or two from "total eclipse of the heart." yay. :) then they played much music. i did not keep track of the set list. i was too busy having fun. too bad some a**hole landed on my shoulder when he saw crowd-surfing. oh well. i elbowed him really hard. oh, one of the funnier things--dan and dan and dan started playing "eye of the tiger" and flans yelled something about us being in rock purgatory. that was cool. the intro to "istanbul" was awesome, like spanish classical guitar. i like. they had a lot of toys tonight. the bass drum, the puppet heads, the confetti canon, the glockenspiel...everything but the stick, i believe. they played songs i had not heard before in concert. i was fulfilled. i actually participated in the conga line this time. sure, i got stuck in the back, but i was with a big bald guy and we reclaimed our places in the front. conga with caution. i am going to die now. love, becky ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01be9460$5672fbe0$1ba6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: columbus show mini-review Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:55:01 -0700 Oooooo....tell us more about the Dr. Evil opening. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-57 ******************************