Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #16-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 16, Number 9 Tuesday, 9 March 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: Tape trading Re: TMBG: regular or newbie? Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading NON-TMBG: States TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea Re: NON-TMBG: The Astounding Idea TMBG: eyes Wide Shut Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Re: TMBG: Good show, bad crowd Re: TMBG: eyes Wide Shut Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob TMBG: Re: eyes Wide Shut Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading TMBG: Chorus in AKA driver Re: TMBG: Legality issues Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Re: non-TMBG: promo items (another long post) TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob NON-TMBG: mike leffel stars in carrie III? Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix TMBG: Re: Favorite Flans TMBG: 2:1 trade observations Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <000f01be6938$032b3180$2da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 23:48:08 -0800 Does anyone know anything on the Exquisite Dead Guy Remix? I have small part of it on mp3. Where is it from? eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <663e293d.36e3a057@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 05:03:03 EST Subject: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Hello 41- A note need to be said about the legality of tape trading. It is illegal to do a 2:1, because a payment is being made. Yes. Is Joey the cybercop going to intercept my email about the trade and stake my house out until the payment arrives then arrest me? No. So the law doesn't matter if it is not enforced. I don't see 2:1 TMBG traders ever taking money away from the band. Most people that are into tapes of live shows probably have all of TMBG's albums. And going back to the "it's against the law" part of your defense for a second, it's so ridiculous. You are yelling at people that it's against the law to do 2:1 trades, yet so much illegal activity happens right under your, and everybody else's nose that you don't (or at least I really hope you don't) yell at them for. For example, promotional items auctioned at Ebay is illegal. If a person under the age of 18 is transported by a non-family member across a state line, say to a TMBG show, it's illegal. Being drunk, and walking from a bar to a taxicab to get home is illegal. The point being that there are so many laws that are constantly broken that don't hurt anybody. You may say that it hurts the person on the other end of a 2:1 deal, but they do it willingly. TMBG is not losing sales by it, they are gaining a stronger following. So it seems that people that don't like 2:1 trading are the only people that seem to care. So chill out. And for the record, you have tapes of mine that were distributed as 2:1s. Which doesn't really mean anything, but I still like it. Adam ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199903081144.GAA15296@pop.snet.net> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:43:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading > A note need to be said about the legality of tape trading. It is illegal to > do a 2:1, because a payment is being made. Yes. Is Joey the cybercop going > to intercept my email about the trade and stake my house out until the payment > arrives then arrest me? No. So the law doesn't matter if it is not enforced. > And going back to the "it's against the law" part of your defense for a > second, it's so ridiculous. You are yelling at people that it's against the > law to do 2:1 trades, yet so much illegal activity happens right under your, > and everybody else's nose that you don't (or at least I really hope you don't) > yell at them for. For example, promotional items auctioned at Ebay is > illegal. If a person under the age of 18 is transported by a non-family > member across a state line, say to a TMBG show, it's illegal. Being drunk, > and walking from a bar to a taxicab to get home is illegal. whoa. slow down the happy train, mr. conductor. although i have no opinion about this tape trading stuff going on... i must stop right now and point my ugly finger (yes... you heard right... my UGLY finger) at this person here and blame them for much of the problems society has today. just because YOU and a few other idiot people decide that you're above whatever law it is you're breaking doesn't mean it's ok to break it. just because you don't think you're hurting anyone doesn't mean it's ok. and just because someone else braeks some OTHER law doesn't give you the right to do whatever the hell you want. that's not the way it works... you can't pick and choose what laws you want to follow and what laws you don't. at the risk of sounding preachy or like a goody goody, i must insist that this is THE stupidist thing i've heard in a while. really. and i'm not saying that i'm perfect and have never unknowingly broken some minor law... but to have such blatant disrespect for the very laws that are supposed to protect YOU, the "innocent citizen"... no way buddy. not in MY monarch. jen Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:56:14 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Tape trading Message-id: On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Renquist L Hedgeloff wrote: > yes, now that i think about it, it certainly would be illegal to make a > true profit from tape trading .. but i'd hardly call that one tape a > true, prosecutable transaction. unless you're in singapore. So you admit yourself that it's "illegal to make a true profit from tape trading." Profit is defined by Websters as "financial gain or OTHER BENEFIT." (emphasis mine) The other benefit is the extra blank - a true profit. There have been schemes where hackers shave pennies from many bank transactions. It hardly shows in individual transactions, but they walk away with a huge wad of cash. It adds up. In my tape trading history, I could have made hundreds of dollars (yes, blank tapes can be sold for MONEY) if I'd have used 2:1 deals. It adds up. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:31:38 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E352AA.B36527B1@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: regular or newbie? Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > ... the 2 I am speaking of. ... are Kevin Gilbert & Sheryl Crowe. But the feud between Melissa Gilbert and Counting Crows is almost as unstoppable, at least in my opinion. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Old Lady from Titanic? You stink! Hee hee!" Scott ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:25:58 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 TMBG: Legality of tape trading by NitpickR@aol.com > law to do 2:1 trades, yet so much illegal activity happens right under > your, and everybody else's nose that you don't (or at least I really hope > you don't) yell at them for. For example, promotional items auctioned at > Ebay is illegal. If a person under the age of 18 is transported by a > non-family member across a state line, say to a TMBG show, it's illegal. > Being drunk, and walking from a bar to a taxicab to get home is illegal. actually, as far as I know, the only one of those that might possibly be illegal, and depends on the state, is transporting a minor across state lines. public drunkenness only applies if you're doing something... and promotional items, once they become your property, are yours to do with as you like. only one person still has it. the owner made the money off of it. the thing about bootlegs is that you're *copying* them. it's like computer software, in a way - if you re-sell it, it has to have all the original packaging, documentation, etc, and you have to have deleted it all from your computer first. so howabout this? if you're going to sell a bootleg, just send it to the person in exchange for money. That's fair - you've sold them a tape. Big deal. > The point being that there are so many laws that are constantly broken that > don't hurt anybody. You may say that it hurts the person on the other end > of a 2:1 deal, but they do it willingly. TMBG is not losing sales by it, > they are gaining a stronger following. So it seems that people that don't > like 2:1 trading are the only people that seem to care. So chill out. so you're in favor of breaking laws you don't agree with? Remind me to stay far away from you. fine, then. ANNOUNCEMENT: If you want tapes, don't ask one of these 2:1 people because you'll get ripped off. Ask me, or Josh, or one of those people who does the whole blanks/postage thing. Ok? I hope you lose all your 2:1 business. > And for the record, you have tapes of mine that were distributed as 2:1s. > Which doesn't really mean anything, but I still like it. I still don't know why people fall for that crap. There are plenty of us rational traders out there who are willing to do the blanks and postage thing. And they don't even have to look that hard. Just look at the list and realize that we nice people do exist. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E3E697.3AD98C75@sevenlands.com> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:02:47 -0500 From: carlyn nugent Subject: NON-TMBG: States Renquist L Hedgeloff wrote: > > Oh, come, come, my dearest Captain, do you really think that's bad? In > Kentucky, there're only ffiteen last names--my uncle is also my father, > brother, AND pastor, all in one tidy little package. It's all I can do > to get out of an arranged marriage with my cousin Jeanie ... *sniffle* > It's cruel and unusual ... but if Ohio's worldly, then Kentucky's hell > (it being just underneath, you know). Y'know it really ticks me off when people perpetuate this stereotype of Kentucky as an incestuous, hillbilly, Deliverance-boy-banjo-playin', hick state. I live in the biggest city in Kentucky and we are quite cosmopolitan! We make whiskey, cigarettes, and baseball bats! We have a major gambling industry! We have over 10 country music stations! And, I'll have you know there are 20 last names in our phone book! CN (who actually thinks quite highly of Kentucky...really.) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E3FD52.5255A277@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:39:52 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea "Refund" wrote: > I have an astounding idea. How about someone makes a mailing list > specifically for this TMBG on/off topic post debate, because I'M SICK OF > F***ING HEARING IT! > I know you were just trying to be a smart ass but that IS an astounding idea and its one I've suggested before. Some lists actually have created a second list for off topic posts. Unfortunately, I don't think it would happen. Even if the new list got created, too many people would refuse to move their off topic talk to it. Sorry I can't address all the responses to my post. (ONLY because I don't have the time.) I won't be complaining about OT's for at least another month now. Just remember, there's ALWAYS something about TMBG worth discussing that hasn't been discussed before (or at least not enough). -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101be698b$c0319c80$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: The Astounding Idea Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:47:35 -0700 You seem to have misunderstood me. I like the off topic posts. They're funny, for the most part. I just think the debate itself should be moved off the list. That way, all you people who get so pissed off at the off topic posts can keep from cluttering up the list for those of us who like them. And no, I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I was serious. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ----- Original Message ----- From: Bongo To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 9:39 AM Subject: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea "Refund" wrote: I have an astounding idea. How about someone makes a mailing list specifically for this TMBG on/off topic post debate, because I'M SICK OF F***ING HEARING IT! I know you were just trying to be a smart ass but that IS an astounding idea and its one I've suggested before. Some lists actually have created a second list for off topic posts. Unfortunately, I don't think it would happen. Even if the new list got created, too many people would refuse to move their off topic talk to it. Sorry I can't address all the responses to my post. (ONLY because I don't have the time.) I won't be complaining about OT's for at least another month now. Just remember, there's ALWAYS something about TMBG worth discussing that hasn't been discussed before (or at least not enough). -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903081805.NAA12861@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: eyes Wide Shut Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:05:41 -0500 (EST) > been following Kubrick's movies for quite some time. Perhaps, in his > memory, people will flock to see 'Eyes Wide Shut' this summer. I know I > will. I heard that this movie was completed but Kubrick didn't like how it was and decided to scrap it all and almost start over again. Then he died and now it's no where near in a finished state again. So I heard that it will not be released at all now. Is this true? -Matt ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990308131208.00940360@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:13:22 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea While I personally don't have a problem with off-topic posts, I've created a bulletin board called "The Topicless Board" at http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/board/topicless/index.cgi that has no topic whatsoever. Feel free to post whatever you want there. -Adam At 09:39 AM 3/8/99, Bongo wrote: > > " > I know you were just trying to be a smart ass but that IS an > astounding idea and its one I've suggested before. Some lists actually have > created a second list for off topic posts. Unfortunately, I don't think it > would happen. Even if the new list got created, too many people would refuse > to move their off topic talk to it. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903081818.NAA15025@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:18:57 -0500 (EST) I've heard a lot of talk about this 2:1 trading. If you think about it a 1:1 trade is a complete misnomer. If a person sends you a tape, you copy the material on your original onto that blank tape and then send it back there is nothing being traded there. Is this what people call 1:1 trading or is this term not used? Why is it called 2:1 trading when in fact it really is 1:1 trading? The taper ends up with 1 blank tape and the tapee ends up with 1 tape that has the original material on it. I just wanted to clear up why people call them these terms? Also, if you are copying a bootleg or an album or single for someone and sending that to them for free isn't that illegal? Bootlegs are illegal by nature and copying an album or single would be illegal, too, right? -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:18:42 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Good show, bad crowd Message-ID: <19990308.135031.2846.10.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein And to all, as I saw on a poster at a TMBG show: "Please stop moshing!! No one should die at a concert." Thank you. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:24:04 +0000 (GMT) Subject: Re: TMBG: eyes Wide Shut Message-id: <01J8LKF0TO9EDBOADK@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc >I heard that this movie was completed but Kubrick didn't like >how it was and decided to scrap it all and almost start over again. >Then he died and now it's no where near in a finished state again. >So I heard that it will not be released at all now. >Is this true? >-Matt No, actually it was reported that last week, the first cut was shown to studio execs, apparently days before Kubrick died. peter ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:29:20 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: The Astounding Idea Message-ID: On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Bongo wrote: > I know you were just trying to be a smart ass but that IS an > astounding idea and its one I've suggested before. Some lists actually > have created a second list for off topic posts. Unfortunately, I don't > think it would happen. Even if the new list got created, too many people > would refuse to move their off topic talk to it. this astounding idea would never work, because: (1) off-topic discussion will spontaneously arise from on-topic discussion. (2) on-topic discussion will spontaneously arise from off-topic discussion. therefore, should a second list be created, (ostensibly for the purpose of segregating off-topic talk from on-topic talk,) what will inevitably occur is that the two lists would spontaneously move back toward the mix of on/off-topic that we currently see on this list. i now propose a voluntary moratorium on this debate. --jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/13 -- LOOSE SHOES performs at the english country dance party, st. paul's episcopal church, 900 E & 300 S, SLC 3/16 -- GLADE performs at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0qt2brW00UwC0fZ0o0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:50:15 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? by Matt James@charm.net > I've heard a lot of talk about this 2:1 trading. If you think > about it a 1:1 trade is a complete misnomer. If a person sends > you a tape, you copy the material on your original onto that > blank tape and then send it back there is nothing being traded > there. Is this what people call 1:1 trading or is this term not > used? Why is it called 2:1 trading when in fact it really is > 1:1 trading? The taper ends up with 1 blank tape and the tapee > ends up with 1 tape that has the original material on it. > I just wanted to clear up why people call them these terms? it's not a misnomer... it's not *entirely* accurate, either, though... it's 1:1 in that you send one tape and get one tape back (it's the same tape, but still) and 2:1 is, in that you send two and get one. > Also, if you are copying a bootleg or an album or single for > someone and sending that to them for free isn't that illegal? > Bootlegs are illegal by nature and copying an album or single > would be illegal, too, right? they are not illegal by nature. TMBG have basically said "Tape our shows if you want, but make them good." (or something to that effect) it is technically illegal to copy a commercially released album, other than for personal use (i.e. I can make a tape of a CD to play in my car, but I can't make a tape and give or sell it to someone) really, anyone trading tapes shouldn't have actual albums and stuff on their lists - the purpose of circulating these tapes in the way they are is because they aren't otherwise available, like albums are. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36E43366.F31D1DFB@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:30:30 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Matt James wrote: > > I've heard a lot of talk about this 2:1 trading. If you think > about it a 1:1 trade is a complete misnomer. If a person sends > you a tape, you copy the material on your original onto that > blank tape and then send it back there is nothing being traded > there. Is this what people call 1:1 trading or is this term not > used? 1:1 trading isn't really used as a term. Normally this is referred to a B+P or blank and postage. It goes down like this: You want a tape of a Moxy Fruvous show I taped myself, completely legally because Moxy Fruvous allows taping of their live shows. You email me and ask politely and I say to myself "Self, Matt James is a nice guy who says hooha. Let's get this trade set up". I email you back instructions that say something like: You buy: - 2 90 minute tapes I would prefer you buy Metal or Type IV tapes, usually either TDK or Maxell. The tape you want is very high quality and I'll be able to make you a better tape when you shell out the bucks to buy a better quality tape for me to use. If you choose not to use Type IV, I'd recommend the Type II+ tapes like the Maxell XLIIS. Please don't send me TDK tapes other than metal because I've heard they shed in tape decks and I'd rather not deal with getting my decks cleaned irregularly. If you don't want to spring for the Type II+ tapes, the minimum quality tape I'm willing to use is the Type II tape. Maxell XLII very much preferred. If you have questions about anything in that paragraph, please ask. - 1 small bubble mailer This is available at Target or Walmart or places like Mailboxes Etc. It's just a pouch with padding that protects the tape in transit. - 1 large envelope This should just be a manilla envelope. Nothing fancy. It needs to be big enough to hold the bubble mailer. What you need to do: First and very importantly, write me a note saying what show you would like. I tend to get busy taping for people and I may not remember instantly what you wanted. Your trade will get done faster if you write your address, email, and what you want on a piece of paper and include it along with the tapes. Step 1: Address the bubble mailer The mailer should be To: You From: Me. Step 2: Address the large envelope The envelope should be To: Me From: You. Step 3: Pack the bubble mailer Put the note and the tapes in the bubble mailer (don't seal it). If you want to be extra kind to me, unpack the tapes first. That means FFWD them to the end and then rewind them. This decreases the chance of the tapes binding and evens out the tape. I will do it if you don't, but I'd appreciate it if you did it. Please leave the cases on the tapes because it protects the tapes while they in my care. Step 4: Go to the post office Take the large envelope and the bubble mailer to the post office. Ask the postal employee to stamp the bubble mailer USING REAL STAMPS. This is important. Metered mail won't work. Then place the bubble mailer in the large envelope and have the postal employee stamp that as well. This time metered mail is okay. Then have them send it. Step 5: Wait You sent me an envelope containing an envelope. I'll open that, put the large envelope in my re-use pile of envelopes and take out the bubble mailer. I'll put the mailer in my TODO taping inbox. I'll email you telling you I got your tapes. Then, when you come up again in the inbox, I'll dub your tapes using the exact tapes you sent me. Those tapes will get put into the exact mailer you sent me. I'll staple the mailer shut (so that you can reuse it) and place it in my mailbox. I'll then email you telling you your show is on the way. Step 6: Enjoy You get back the mailer and tapes you sent me plus some audio I provided for you. You email me and tell me you got the tapes and you thank me for my work and I'll reply that it was no problem at all. I enjoy spreading the music. There's my cut and paste instructions. I guess I get a used manilla envelope out of it. I could just as well fold that and put it in the bubble mailer I guess. > Why is it called 2:1 trading when in fact it really is > 1:1 trading? The taper ends up with 1 blank tape and the tapee > ends up with 1 tape that has the original material on it. > I just wanted to clear up why people call them these terms? Again, 1:1 isn't a term really. It's B+P. > Also, if you are copying a bootleg or an album or single for > someone and sending that to them for free isn't that illegal? > Bootlegs are illegal by nature and copying an album or single > would be illegal, too, right? Some bands allow taping. The use of the term bootleg in this situation is a misuse of the word. They are just live show tapes. Nothing illegal about them. I would never ever copy a released work for something unless it was way out of date and practically impossible to buy. Things like Moxy Fruvous's Indie Cassette. Hope that helps a bit, Matt. - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:46:58 -0500 Subject: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Message-ID: <19990308.154702.2718.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: e f rae I just thought I'd throw in something that has to do with TMBG, y'know, for kicks 'n' giggles. In the song "AKA Driver," what are the words in the chorus? Hey, Nyquil Driver? Eh? I've been wondering that lately. --- WARNING: After this point, my writings are no longer TMBG related. They involve the fame of Bob Scott. Stop reading now if you hate off-topic posts. I won't be offended, really. If you enjoy the occasional off-topic post though, or just like to hear about Bob Scott, enjoy. Bob Scott mania is sweeping the country! Even at my little country bumpkin school, kids are trying to be just like Bob. In the light cage of the auditorium of my school, written on the wall is: "Zack 'Zack Wiles' Wiles." Albeit, not the most original AKA name, but it's obvious this lad someday dreams of being as cool as our very own Celebrity (worthy of a capital C by now, methinks), Bob Scott. hoo-ray. ever-sincere, eriKa, banging her head off the wall when not expressing the freedom of her handy-dandy delete button (it's just that easy!) "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199903082140.QAA17691@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: 1:1 trading misnomer? Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:40:28 -0500 (EST) > no, it's not a "trade." but it's not a sale, either. neither person > ends up with more or less than they started with. the material on the > tape has no monetary value, and cannot be compared to the value of a > tape, itself. > > and in a "2:1" deal, the the person getting the tape gives up two tapes, > and gets one tape in return. the person taping has a net gain of one > tape; the person getting the tape back has a net loss of one tape. > that's both immoral and illegal. > I'm not an advocate for this 2:1 trading, I'm just playing Devil's advocate, I just wanted you to understand that before I go on. Perhaps this taping of shows could be considered as a service and thus that is the price that is paid by the taper. While taping 1 show for 1 person is hardly much of a service, taping 500 shows for 500 people would be quite a lot of work for not receiving anything in return. That might be an extreme example but I know some people who have an entire inbox devoted to taping shows for people...surely that must mean they are taping quite a lot of shows and taking up quite a lot of their time, that could be a large opportunity cost. I could see how someone could get discouraged by this and would want something in return for their service. Thanks, Matt p.s. I'm not CC'ing this to the list, do you think I should? Does anyone else have an interest in this topic? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:42:13 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading Message-ID: DOWN WITH BLANKET STATEMENTS!!! a little clarification here (as per my opinions). It is important to keep in mind that we are referring to the trading of live shows and other non-official releases. also important to keep in mind that They are all for this. More importantly than whether or not any "gain" is to be had is the choice of the trader. the laws that everyone is throwing about is designed for two reasons (as near i can figger): (1) to prevent us from gaining from TMBG's losses and (2) to prevent us as consumers from being ripped off. no where is there the consideration that everything works out perfectly and ideally even? dont see it. its called "market system" or "exchanging goods/services/payment for goods/services/payment". so whats my point? here it comes: who cares if one guy drops 4 marbles into the bucket and the other guy drops three.. what matters is that *both* are satisfied with the arrangement. what if i have a bevvy of blank tapes sitting around collecting dust (secure in their shrink-wrapping)? it'd be pretty sensible of me to want to do a 2:1 trade. illegal? yes. but in my world (blah blah blah above the law blah blah) laws designed to protect *me* as the consumer are somewhat null when it is *me* the consumer wishing to be violated. i can see the court case: "john, you are charged with fulfilling kevin's wishes to be ripped off. how do you plead?" "uhm.. guilty.. i mean not guilty.. i mean.. oh fudge. :p" --kevin of course, i definately DEFINATELY think everyone should be aware that there are ppl willing to do trades just for postage. the right to choose is grand. On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Mar-99 TMBG: Legality of tape > trading by NitpickR@aol.com > > > law to do 2:1 trades, yet so much illegal activity happens right under > > your, and everybody else's nose that you don't (or at least I really hope > > you don't) yell at them for. For example, promotional items auctioned at > > Ebay is illegal. If a person under the age of 18 is transported by a > > non-family member across a state line, say to a TMBG show, it's illegal. > > Being drunk, and walking from a bar to a taxicab to get home is illegal. > > actually, as far as I know, the only one of those that might possibly be > illegal, and depends on the state, is transporting a minor across state > lines. public drunkenness only applies if you're doing something... and > promotional items, once they become your property, are yours to do with > as you like. only one person still has it. the owner made the money > off of it. the thing about bootlegs is that you're *copying* them. it's > like computer software, in a way - if you re-sell it, it has to have all > the original packaging, documentation, etc, and you have to have deleted > it all from your computer first. so howabout this? if you're going to > sell a bootleg, just send it to the person in exchange for money. > That's fair - you've sold them a tape. Big deal. > > > The point being that there are so many laws that are constantly broken that > > don't hurt anybody. You may say that it hurts the person on the other end > > of a 2:1 deal, but they do it willingly. TMBG is not losing sales by it, > > they are gaining a stronger following. So it seems that people that don't > > like 2:1 trading are the only people that seem to care. So chill out. > > so you're in favor of breaking laws you don't agree with? Remind me to > stay far away from you. > > fine, then. ANNOUNCEMENT: > > If you want tapes, don't ask one of these 2:1 people because you'll get > ripped off. Ask me, or Josh, or one of those people who does the whole > blanks/postage thing. > > Ok? I hope you lose all your 2:1 business. > > > And for the record, you have tapes of mine that were distributed as 2:1s. > > Which doesn't really mean anything, but I still like it. > > I still don't know why people fall for that crap. There are plenty of > us rational traders out there who are willing to do the blanks and > postage thing. And they don't even have to look that hard. Just look > at the list and realize that we nice people do exist. > > Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu > "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently > you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:47:55 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E4458A.9F1DDBD5@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob e f rae wrote: > I just thought I'd throw in something that has to do with TMBG, y'know, > for kicks 'n' giggles. In the song "AKA Driver," what are the words in > the chorus? Hey, Nyquil Driver? Eh? I've been wondering that lately. It's because they couldn't use the word Nyquil in the song title, because they'd have to pay Nyquil money or something along those lines. It's in the FAQ!!! :P > Bob Scott mania is sweeping the country! Even at my little country > bumpkin school, kids are trying to be just like Bob. In the light cage of > the auditorium of my school, written on the wall is: "Zack 'Zack Wiles' > Wiles." Albeit, not the most original AKA name, but it's obvious this lad > someday dreams of being as cool as our very own Celebrity (worthy of a > capital C by now, methinks), Bob Scott. hoo-ray. Now I don't know whether to be happy or to curl up into that fetal position again. Or maybe I should just start selling my used articles of clothing at extremely high prices on eBay! Well, I guess you don't really have to be famous to have a sock you've worn go for over $3000 dollars. And I learned all about that quotation marks between the name thing from a personal hero of mine, Orson "They're even better when you're dead" Welles. bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Up to Lolita in my 2-day Kubrick memorial movie watching vigil" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:50:29 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E44625.E2C74250@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: eyes Wide Shut Matt James wrote: > > been following Kubrick's movies for quite some time. Perhaps, in his > > memory, people will flock to see 'Eyes Wide Shut' this summer. I know I > > will. > I heard that this movie was completed but Kubrick didn't like > how it was and decided to scrap it all and almost start over again. > Then he died and now it's no where near in a finished state again. > So I heard that it will not be released at all now. > Is this true? > -Matt The film was being edited, and overall, it did sound as though Kubrick was pleased enough with the film to maintain the July 16, 1999 release date. And I read alt.movies.kubrick, so I must be informed ;) bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "Monolith" Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990308160331.0088fb80@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:03:31 -0600 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob >> Bob Scott mania is sweeping the country! Even at my little country >> bumpkin school, kids are trying to be just like Bob. In the light cage of >> the auditorium of my school, written on the wall is: "Zack 'Zack Wiles' >> Wiles." Albeit, not the most original AKA name, but it's obvious this lad >> someday dreams of being as cool as our very own Celebrity (worthy of a >> capital C by now, methinks), Bob Scott. hoo-ray. > >Now I don't know whether to be happy or to curl up into that fetal position >again. Or maybe I should just start selling my used articles of clothing at >extremely high prices on eBay! Well, I guess you don't really have to be >famous to have a sock you've worn go for over $3000 dollars. And I learned >all about that quotation marks between the name thing from a personal hero of >mine, Orson "They're even better when you're dead" Welles. > Seems now you are getting credit for the things that are decidedly leffelian in nature. Hrm. Very interesting. Maybe one of these days I'll be credited for creating the spanish language, or just be considered the first person to speak it. Now speaking of spanish, let me tell you a story. I once new a guy named George. He liked cheese. He liked it so much that when he came over to my house he would steal a slice or two of mine. I was okay with it, because, hell, they put more slices of cheese in there then there is slices of bread in a loaf, so whatever. Well it got to the point that he'd raise the stakes a little bit and eat three slices. Then the next day came, he ate four. It kept on raising like this. It got to the point that I'd lose an entire package of cheese the day I bought it. I confronted "my friend" about it, and he claimed complete ignorance. I didn't believe him. I was angered profusely. Then one day I drew a beautiful picture. Well, rather I painted it. It disapeared one day. I cried, because I doubt I'll ever be able to be that artistic ever again. I met with George several years later at a gallery. What did I see for sale with his name on it? My painting. I quickly killed all of his loved ones and force fed them to him with slices of cheese. The End. L "I have been copying Mike Leffel much longer than Mr. Bob" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:22:18 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Message-ID: On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, El Dee Bee wrote: > L "I have been copying Mike Leffel much longer than Mr. Bob" DB all due respect, shaun, but seeing as how bob is actually a resident of that particular nebraskan town that mike leffel calls home, (well, he doesn't actually call it 'home', he calls it something else entirely, but so that this message might make it past the CCA, let's just pretend that 'home' is the word he uses;) and has known mike leffel for a number of years, i don't know if you can say that. also, it's unclear to me how much of bob's leffelishness can be considered "copying", for the reasons stated above. all of this has no bearing whatsoever on your status as president of the Church of Leffel... --jim kuemmerle, who's sure LDB's not just the president but also a client... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/13 -- LOOSE SHOES performs at the english country dance party, st. paul's episcopal church, 900 E & 300 S, SLC 3/16 -- GLADE performs at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:21:26 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading I am not involved in tape trading, so maybe I should stay out of the conversation. But, that was Jimminy Cricket's advice and he is a moron. It is illegal to make a profit monetary or other wise by trading tapes (or so I've come to understand it). Then when you trade a tape of one show for a tape of another, you get a tape of a show you didn't have before, and that is a profit. I'm not exactly sure why I'm replying, because I don't even care about this subject. Maybe the devil made me do it? Jeff "Idle hands are...I dunno, bad, or something" Craig ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:46:36 -0800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Chorus in AKA driver Message-ID: <14200-36E4615C-784@mailtod-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Somebody asked what They say in the chorus of AKA Driver. I'm pretty sure it's the following: "Hey Nyquil driver, it's Nyquil drivin' time. Hey Nyquil driver, get out my lane, get out my way." the Nyquil driver himself, Dexburger ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:21:18 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality issues Message-ID: <19990308.165228.17566.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >just because YOU and a few other idiot people decide that you're >above whatever law it is you're breaking doesn't mean it's ok to >break it. now wait a minute sister puff! uhm, first things first, just because it's a law doesn't mean that it's right. so uhm, yeah, i remember hearing a little story of the days when it was illegal for women to vote. ya know... i'm just saying that laws aren't necessarily the most important thing. and yes, i do realize that they are there for a reason... anyways, it's been fun but i've got to get across the border in the next 3 minutes... THEY'RE AFTER ME! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <643a526a.36e464c1@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:01:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Legality of tape trading time i stuck my nose in here... here's my stream of conciousness (it might be clearer, by sister's being obnoxious behind me so i can't think straight.) on this issue: person a copies bootlegs for people, because they love sharing the goodness of They. person a asks the good people for 2 tapes, and keeps one for themselves. person a never has to go to the store for blanks for their own use, because they have an endless supply of blank tapes being delivered to their house. person a ends up spending nothing, but instead has people that might just be starting out their tape collection pay them (in tapes)... person b copies bootlegs for people, because they love sharing the goodness of They. person b asks for no more than shipping costs, and the one tape the good people want their copy on. person b is constantly spending money buying blank tapes. and ends up ..well, going to the store and spending money. i'd say i'm a person b. much like a school bully never has to get his snack money from mommy, but rather unsuspecting little kids instead, persons a never have to depend on finances to get tapes for their own profit. that seems like the easiest way, and it probably *is* (who am i kidding - it is.) but it's not the most fair. i've cut down on my trading - partially because i can't keep up with the buying tapes and such. that and i don't really listen to any of my bootlegs anymore.. they're just collecting dust in my room. ::sigh:: okay, i'm done. this is all i'll say. and .. it probably doesn't make sense. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:28:05 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E46B14.15378A1C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob El Dee Bee wrote: > >> Bob Scott mania is sweeping the country! Even at my little country > >> bumpkin school, kids are trying to be just like Bob. In the light cage of > >> the auditorium of my school, written on the wall is: "Zack 'Zack Wiles' > >> Wiles." Albeit, not the most original AKA name, but it's obvious this lad > >> someday dreams of being as cool as our very own Celebrity (worthy of a > >> capital C by now, methinks), Bob Scott. hoo-ray. > > > >Now I don't know whether to be happy or to curl up into that fetal position > >again. Or maybe I should just start selling my used articles of clothing at > >extremely high prices on eBay! Well, I guess you don't really have to be > >famous to have a sock you've worn go for over $3000 dollars. And I learned > >all about that quotation marks between the name thing from a personal hero of > >mine, Orson "They're even better when you're dead" Welles. > > > Seems now you are getting credit for the things that are decidedly > leffelian in nature. Hrm. Very interesting. Maybe one of these days I'll > be credited for creating the spanish language, or just be considered the > first person to speak it. Now speaking of spanish, let me tell you a story. > Firstly, I don't want to come across as being a copycat criminal, as I am not. My humour is mine own (except for what I steal from PROMINENT comedians of our day). Leffel and I are good friends, as I have said in the past. I will explain, as I may have before, and as I'm sure many of you already know: Mike "Who wants leprosy?" Leffel, or the usage of quotes between 1st and last names did not originate on this list, as much as you might like to think it did. Long ago (5-7 years ago), this form of communication was used on a local BBS I frequented, and I used it there, and Mike may have at times, because I do recall seeing his name there once or twice. And also, I've seen this method of signing names used on pythonline, when it still allowed people to post to its message boards (I was Robert Shaw for those who care). But because the concept of Leffel spans time, perhaps he made it so that people like myself would use such a signing technique. > L "I have been copying Mike Leffel much longer than Mr. Bob" DB I suppose I've said all I can about the copying... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA "Dharma and" Bob "God help us all" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:33:34 -0600 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <36E46C5D.B915E79D@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, El Dee Bee wrote: > > > L "I have been copying Mike Leffel much longer than Mr. Bob" DB > > all due respect, shaun, but seeing as how bob is actually a resident of > that particular nebraskan town that mike leffel calls home, (well, he > doesn't actually call it 'home', he calls it something else entirely, but > so that this message might make it past the CCA, let's just pretend that > 'home' is the word he uses;) and has known mike leffel for a number of > years, i don't know if you can say that. Well, he can say it, he just might not be right :) But I'm not one to be right either, so perhaps I should just stop thinking... > also, it's unclear to me how much of bob's leffelishness can be considered > "copying", for the reasons stated above. Here's a simple case of people with similar senses of humour. Oft times, I would introduce friends of mine to Mike, and they just swore that he was copying my style of humour, when in fact he was killing most of the eastern seaboard with his mind. It's a simple misunderstanding, much like that whole setup on last weeks stylish episode of "Two of a Kind". Those Olsen twins are so loveable... bobscott@tmbg.org AKA Bob "I was cured all right..." Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990308182833.008917f0@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:28:33 -0600 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Whoa, slow down Bobbie. You obviously missed the point to the post. Well there was no real point to the post. I was just posting in mirth, sorry that it didn't come across that way. L "Who eats cheese, anywho?" DB -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:19:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob In response to the ACTUAL QUESTION (which was something along the lines of "what was the chorus") it is Hey NyQuil driver, it's NyQuil driving time, Hey NyQuil driver, get out of my way. It wasnt printed in the manual, as someone said, because NyQuil wouldn't let them. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:40:40 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: promo items (another long post) Message-ID: Hey all-- First off, congrats to Rufus Wainwright, for winning the Best Alternative Album award at the Junos. I'm a bit upset that Hayden didn't win, but if he had to lose to someone, I'm glad it was Rufus. Anyway, on to less positive subjects... On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > [snip] public drunkenness only applies if you're doing something... and > promotional items, once they become your property, are yours to do with > as you like. only one person still has it. the owner made the money > off of it. the thing about bootlegs is that you're *copying* them. it's > like computer software, in a way - if you re-sell it, it has to have all > the original packaging, documentation, etc, and you have to have deleted > it all from your computer first. [snip] When it comes to music, I think that Lawrence is referring to actual commercially-released CDs. Sure, even that is debated, but for the most part, you buy a CD, it's yours. If you want to sell it, you can. If you want to copy it (provided it's for personal use only), you can. If you want to sharpen the edges and try to cut off someone's head with it, you can (well, not really, but you can deface the CD all you want). But when it comes to promotional CDs, such as ones serviced to magazines and radio stations, it's usually a different story (depending on the record label doing the servicing). For example, let's look at some of my CDs (and yes, for those keeping score, I actually did receive them from the record company for review), and what is printed either on the CD, the case, or the liner notes: Ben Lee--Breathing Tornados (Grand Royal/Capitol) "Promotional Use Only/Not For Sale" Mono--Formica Blues (Echo/Mercury) "For Promotional Use Only - Not for Sale" v/a--MTV 120 Minutes Live (MTV/Atlantic) "Promotional Copy - Not for Sale" Moby--I Like to Score (Elektra) Moby--Bring Back My Happiness EP (Elektra) Pixies--Death to the Pixies (Elektra) Emma Townshend--Winterland (Eastwest/Time Warner) Jawbox--Jawbox (Atlantic) ..... all of these said: "For Promotional Use Only. Sale or other transfer is prohibited. Must be returned on demand of record company." I suppose that's enough of a sample. I spoke at some point with someone at Atlantic in charge of servicing, and I asked her about these things: me: "So, hypothetically speaking, I can't sell this CD legally, right?" her: "That's right." me: "But there's no way to enforce that really, is there?" her: "Not right now, there isn't." me: "So why bother?" her: "It's a legal thing. Promo copies are officially our copies for as long as they exist...the rationale long ago was that we were loaning the album to the reviewer. But it's way too much of a hassle getting those albums back, so we let the reviewer keep them, kind of as a thanks for doing the review. But we could feasibly take them back at any time." me: "So, when it says 'not for sale," that means by the reviewer?" her: "Exactly." So, Mr. Solomon, those stamps on those promo CDs...well, they're not there for the hell of it. "Sale or other transfer is prohibited," and that even applies to the person who got the damned CD in the first place. In fact, more and more record stores that buy CDs are refusing to buy promo copies of CDs, perhaps under advisement of the record labels. Also, more and more of the promo copies are being distributed without any artwork, with a much plainer actual CD, and not even in a case. Such things are partially meant to dissuade the person who gets the CD from selling it, because it's not as pretty. To make a long story short...(too late!)...there exists an implicit (or, more often now, an explicit) licensing agreement between the media and the record labels, one that essentially says that the promotional copy is intended for, well, promotional use. Whether that use is playing the CD on the radio or reviewing it for Rolling Stone, it doesn't matter. On my radio station's copy of the new Ben Lee album, it says something like, "Use and/or retention of this CD signifies agreement with the licensing agreement." I.e., you don't sell the fucking thing, cuz it's illegal. Mr Solomon also wrote: > so you're in favor of breaking laws you don't agree with? Remind me to > stay far away from you. Well hello, Mr. Holier-than-thou. You've never gone over the speed limit in your car on purpose? You've never gotten an extra refill of your drink when the waitress wasn't looking? You've never done any underage drinking? I don't know of anyone that hasn't purposefully broken some law in their lifetime, merely because they didn't "agree with it" for one reason or another. If you stay far away from anyone who's broken a law they don't agree with, Mr. Solomon, you won't be standing anywhere near anybody. Overreacting? Of course I am. The Rev np: Hayden--The Closer I Get |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | emogeek@hotmail.com | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:52:09 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7c1r0o$kp9$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix eRiCh wrote.... >Does anyone know anything on the Exquisite Dead Guy Remix? >I have small part of it on mp3. Where is it from? eRiCh I have never heard of a remix of Exquisite Dead Guy. I don't think TMBG ever made one, maybe this is a fan remix? -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:56:52 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: AKA Driver, AKA Bob Message-ID: On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > I will explain, as I may have before, and as I'm sure many of you > already know: Mike "Who wants leprosy?" Leffel, or the usage of quotes > between 1st and last names did not originate on this list, as much as > you might like to think it did. back when i was a regular on the newsgroup alt.tv.muppets (which has since moved to rec.arts.something-long-and-complicated-that-i-can't-remember- but-crafted-so-that-anything-muppet-related-such-as-sesame-street-or-the- fraggles-is-still-on-topic (pant, pant),) i used the leffel-style signature often. as far as i knew, i wasn't copying *anybody*, although it's certainly not an earth-shattering leap in .sig theory and definitely nothing i would take credit for inventing. > But because the concept of Leffel spans time, perhaps he made it so that > people like myself would use such a signing technique. es posible, seeing as how mike's a Time Lord and all... --jim kuemmerle, who's sure mike graduated from the academy on gallifrey *just* for the potential that he could get to hang out with romana... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/13 -- LOOSE SHOES performs at the english country dance party, st. paul's episcopal church, 900 E & 300 S, SLC 3/16 -- GLADE performs at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:00:02 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: mike leffel stars in carrie III? Message-ID: > Well, he can say it, he just might not be right :) But I'm not one to be right > either, so perhaps I should just stop thinking... no, i think you should be allowed to think... (sorry, couldn't resist) > Here's a simple case of people with similar senses of humour. Oft times, I > would introduce friends of mine to Mike, and they just swore that he was > copying my style of humour, when in fact he was killing most of the eastern > seaboard with his mind. sinking manhattan *again*?? > It's a simple misunderstanding, much like that whole > setup on last weeks stylish episode of "Two of a Kind". Those Olsen twins are > so loveable... my god... they have another show?? is there no justice in this world? --jim kuemmerle, still mad that they took dr. who off the air, and that was over ten years ago... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 3/13 -- LOOSE SHOES performs at the english country dance party, st. paul's episcopal church, 900 E & 300 S, SLC 3/16 -- GLADE performs at a cup of joe, 356 W 200 S, SLC, 9 pm ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <85d029b.36e47044@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:50:12 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Dead Guy Remix In a message dated 3/8/99 7:48:52 PM, Jay@tmbg.org writes: >>Does anyone know anything on the Exquisite Dead Guy Remix? >>I have small part of it on mp3. Where is it from? eRiCh > >I have never heard of a remix of Exquisite Dead Guy. >I don't think TMBG ever made one, maybe this is a fan remix? and where can this mp3 be found? sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199903090141.RAA14382@law-lfd73.hotmail.com> From: "Alex Pedraza" Subject: TMBG: Re: Favorite Flans Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:41:18 PST Ben wrote: > >Whoa! hehe Yeah! You're smart! > > Shut up Ben! I know I'm smart Hehe I just don't use my smartness all the time. I dunno how to check my mail HELP! -me ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199903090146.UAA05938@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: TMBG: 2:1 trade observations Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:46:49 -0500 (EST) Every time this 2:1 trading thread comes up, I find myself mildly amused, and I will tell you why. Over the years I have had scores of people write to me with what is always more or less the following message: "Hi, I am a really big TMBG fan and I would like a copy of show X, but I don't have anything to offer in trade. Do you do 2:1 trades?" Every time this occurs, I write back and tell them that I do *not* do 2:1 trades, but that if they would like to send me a blank tape and return postage (generally about $1), I would be happy to copy show X onto it and mail it back to them. So far, I have had exactly 0% takers. If the general (non-trading) public have any stance on this issue at all, they apparently seem to prefer the 2:1 business. People who want tapes have a choice between 2:1 and 1:1 trades, and they are not choosing 1:1. Mystifies me. Oh, also this... Lawrence P. Solomon writes: > > it is technically illegal to copy a commercially released album, other > than for personal use (i.e. I can make a tape of a CD to play in my car, > but I can't make a tape and give or sell it to someone) > The issue is not really whether the recordings have been commercially released or whether they are otherwise unavailable. It is simply illegal to copy (other than for one's personal use) and distribute copyrighted material without its owners' permission. TMBG have basically given us fans their (unofficial) permission to tape and trade their performances, so long as we do not sell them for money. The type of scenario they are concerned about is somebody making and selling batches of tapes or CDs of their shows; I doubt if they really care whether people are doing 2:1 or 1:1 trades. If they do find that somebody is selling concert bootlegs, though, then they will be forced to take an official (i.e., legal) position, and that position will necessarily be to protect their own interests. When that day comes, we may not be able to make *any* kind of trades anymore. That concerns me much more than the morality behind 2:1's. m@t ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #16-9 *****************************