Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 1 Saturday, 1 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! TMBG: Webpage -Reply TMBG: The Power of ... Re: TMBG: intro to Giantness TMBG: Re: Webpage Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! Re: Non-TMBG: Where is JOrdaN?! TMBG: dfb Re: TMBG: dfb Re: TMBG: dfb TMBG: rochester // real audio Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! Re: TMBG: dfb NonTMBG: Plastic Nebraska (was: JACK HANDEY MY GREGORIAN ASS!) TMBG: shatner Re: TMBG: shatner TMBG: Re:Louisville show review (long) Re: TMBG: Re:Louisville show review (long) TMBG: Bowery Ballroom Show? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <004701be92e1$e7ae2880$bd2c0904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:17:33 -0400 Well I will expand on what Becky began...I too was at the Columbus show, and let me just start by saying that I've never been happier that it takes so long to set up the stage between acts. I mistakenly remembered that it took an hour and a half to get from Toledo to Columbus, when in reality it takes about an hour longer! Damn my horrid memory. Anyhow, my friend and I got to the Newport just as "Dr. Evil" was starting, and after I had a slight heart attack that my name wasn't on the guest list I thought it would be, we went in. Even though I've never heard the song before, I quickly recognized it due to the woman's voice and the phrase "his name is Dr. Evil" :) There's really not much more to tell about it...red lights shining on an empty stage, as already reported...the song sounds like a Bond song, which I suppose was the point. So on to the rest! The band was in wonderful form - high energy, lots of chatter on stage. Flans told a story about friends after Your Racist Friend but before going on to another song about friends...he talked about how some years ago, their manager showed them a tape of a show called "Friends" and asked them if they wanted to write a theme song for it. This was, of course, the "Friends" that we all know now, and they said that they would prefer not to write a theme song for the show (massive cheers from the crowd) Well, then they saw how big The Rembrandts song got, they kinda regretted not writing a song (mumbling from the crowd) but then they saw the video where the cast of the show is mocking the band, and they were glad again they didn't do the song (more cheering from the crowd). Then Linnell said they were going to play a song about real life friends, and they played Birdhouse. Before Shoehorn, Flans did the "born in a graveyard" song about their stage manager John, and while he was getting the glockenspiel set up, Dan Hickey was busy hiding behind a speaker stack from Flans. So Flans starts going toward the drum set to introduce Dan, and he's looking all over and Dan's hiding from him. I found it very amusing, but I don't think most of the crowd understood what was going on :) There was an absence of Stick, but we got to hear Ana Ng and Don't Let's Start, and that always makes me happy. This was the first time I got to see the new Dans up close, and Miller (the lead guitar Dan) had this weird look on his face for most of the show...kind of a half bored, half dumbfounded look. It was odd, but he's a kickass guitar player and not bad looking either ;) There was switching of the WDTSS? parts again, and we learned that the heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reactions between carbon, estrogen, hydrogen, and wood. Hmm...what else...I think they're saving Istanbul till the very end nowadays so they can hear the crowd chant "Is-tan-bul" between encores. Oh! A strange thing happened - during The Guitar, a spontaneous conga line broke out. I've never seen that happen! They played NOKMP right after, and Flans did the "everybody conga" song, and everyone did, but it was more like they KEPT congaing. Very odd. We-ell, I believe that's all for me to report, other than a set list at the end here. Any other memories have been pushed out by the two horrid couples gyrating in front of me....*shiver* Anyway, great show! Amy :) --The following set list is in no particular order-- Particle Man Birdhouse Your Racist Friend The Guitar Mammal Spider Till My Head Falls Off Exquisite Dead Guy Ana Ng Don't Let's Start Twisting New York City Shoehorn With Teeth She's Actual Size She's An Angel (people started moshing and crowd surfing like crazy during this) Istanbul Whistling in the Dark (with bass drum!) Spy No One Knows My Plan James K. Polk (with unannounced Confetti Cannon) Thunderbird She Thinks She's Edith Head Cyclops Rock ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:34:14 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Webpage -Reply and your webpage address is .................?! Richard >>> "Gurgi1299@aol.com" 29/April/1999 09:46pm >>> I know this isn't TMBG related....... Well....I don't know if anybody tried my webpage last time I sent out the link, but I realized later that the page wasn't working!!! Anyway, I think I worked out the bugs (think is the key word).... Check it out! Okay, not alot of you care about fake petz, but other pages and links will be added (when I'm not bogged down with school work!) Oh yeah, I know that a few of you have homepages, but due to stupidity....I lost almost all my links!! If you would like me to post a link to your homepage, send me the link. Umm...(what else?) oh yeah! In a feeble attempt a wishing that I could make money so Eric doesn't have to pay for my schooling..I entered into an agreement with CDNow where if you take the link to their webpage and then proceed to by Cds or movies...I will get a tiny commission. I don't know..some of you might already have the same thing.... but if you don't, and you buy music online (their prices are actually pretty decent!) would you consider helping out a friend that really needs the money????? (okay, so maybe friend is a strong word for some of you...try acquaintance) There's a long story behind why a married gal is sooo in desperate need of money..but I won't bother you all with that now (hey..I heard that sigh of relief!!!) I guess I bothered you enough now.... Let me know if there is anything still not working on the webpage (please!!) Talk to y'all later!!! ~Kimberly ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:28:54 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <372969C6.FAB93D98@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: The Power of ... .. well, all over the various Rutgers bulletin boards the signs are starting to appear "SUBLET AVAILABLE" "SUMMER SUBLET"... and without thinking of course, I immediately start humming to myself the Summer Sublet song from DAS, and even remembered a good many of the words, and I'd only heard it 2 or 3 times months before in January. That's the POWER of TMBG Dial-a-Song. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- I don't want a goldfish, I want a dog! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990430150814.26078.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: intro to Giantness Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:08:13 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >I was wondering if anybody on here possibly knows someone or is >someone >who was introduced to TMBG through Mono Puff, or maybe even Hello the >Band or John Linnell? I know it's highly unlikely, but it's possible. >You could not even know who They are, but find a Mono Puff c.d. in a >record store, get it, and learn to love that before even realizing >there's a whole other world of Flansy within TMBG. Although most >people >get into solo projects through Them. I suppose there could be a few ways something like this would happen: 1) Someone could buy a Mono Puff CD just because they run into it in the store, and think it looks cool (or something like that). 2) Someone could have learned about the Hello Recording Club because of its work with another performer, and learned about Mono Puff/Hello the Band/John Linnell/whatever through it. 3) Someone heard a Mono Puff song (perhaps in that Carrie sequel?), bought the album, and then learned of TMBG. Most of these are quite unlikely, though. TMBG is definitely the better-known band. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Backstabbing Liar" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: XTC, English Settlement _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: <108c2616.245b5c3f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:19:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Webpage In a message dated 4/30/99 5:06:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rhilton@bitc.org.uk writes: << and your webpage address is .................?! Richard >> Sorry!! In my complete hurry to try and get everything done...I forgot to put the address in the letter last time. I know some of you have it already, but for those of you who don't, or who lost it: http://members.aol.com/gurgi1299/page/index.htm Let me know what you think (or if there are still any problems!!) ~Kimberly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3729CBDF.5A448F8B@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:27:29 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! The Columbus show was AMAZING!!! I loved it. I don't have much to add except: Wear earplugs. This was the first time I ever tried it and I thought it was great. Everything was clearer, and I could hear a lot more. Istanbul was great. Dan Miller used an acoustic guitar and made it sound like Mexican-Latin sounding. It had a slightly different rhythm to it, which was a nice change. I got a SET LIST! :-) I was so happy. I've never been able to get one before, so this is like a big deal for me. It is now hanging on my wall. And finally, Flansy was wearing a shirt that said, "Send a Salami" on the back. :-) 8 concerts and still begging for more more MORE, Diana ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:13:06 +0000 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Where is JOrdaN?! Last sighted 20th April having just got back from NYC. Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990430194734.1501.rocketmail@web216.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:47:34 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: dfb I don't know what you all are talking about. I got my video wednesday last week before it was out in stores. === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:31:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: dfb Message-ID: <19990430.163120.4398.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Chris Tyler commented: >I don't know what you all are talking about. I got my video wednesday >last week before it was out in stores. Yes. On a similar strain, a friend of a friend of mine (hm, that sounds funny) got his copy of Direct from Brooklyn in the mail a few days ago, complete with Tiny Toons video. It's was rated "awesome" by my friend, who's not even much of a fan but has seen them *twice* and I still haven't. Argh. I could have been at the Columbus show. But that's not important right now... ever-sincere, eriKa, making the universe safe for pop. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:35:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: Re: TMBG: dfb Message-ID: On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Yes. On a similar strain, a friend of a friend of mine (hm, that sounds > funny) got his copy of Direct from Brooklyn in the mail a few days ago, No, it just sounds like an Urban Legend. :) "I heard that there was this guy... and HE GOT HIS VIDEO EARLY! I mean, stuff like that can reallyl happen, right? It has to happen to somebody!" Ok. I'm really bored. Love, Colleen Anne ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <3d3bbc35.245b69e6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:17:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: rochester // real audio hey all... my friend matt (he used to post here actually as mdm) is supposed to be interviewing tmbg on rit's station, 89.7 fm... i have no idea when, and he said it probably won't be live... but keep checking back, i guess if you're in the area. and they have a website which you can listen in on real audio, so all of you can hear it. (and you can flip it from that to 90.5, why not) http://www.modernmusicandmore.com yay. :) sarah (in her mono puff shirt and ready to go!) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:51:15 EST From: "my only weakness is--well, never mind, never mind" Message-ID: <009D76B2.1FE30180.283@kenyon.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! the best part about his shirt? it was from katz's deli, so i pointed at him and yelled "katz's!" really loud during NYC. love, becky From: MX%"kocar.1@osu.edu" "Diana Kocar" 30-APR-1999 16:12:43.67 To: MX%"tmbg-list@tmbg.org" CC: Subj: Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! And finally, Flansy was wearing a shirt that said, "Send a Salami" on the back. :-) 8 concerts and still begging for more more MORE, Diana * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Return-Path: Received: from hawaii.kenyon.edu by kcvax3.kenyon.edu (MX V4.2 VAX) with SMTP; Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:12:30 EST Resent-To: Rayr@vaxmail.kenyon.edu Resent-From: rayr@kenyon.edu Resent-Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:48 -0400 Resent-Message-ID: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (unverified [209.249.97.242]) by hawaii.kenyon.edu (Rockliffe SMTPRA 2.1.7) with ESMTP id for ; Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:48 -0400 Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id PAA40932; Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:43 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:43 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA40913 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:43 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu (srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu [164.107.3.56]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id PAA40904 for ; Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:26:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kocar.1@osu.edu) Received: (qmail 13209 invoked from network); 30 Apr 1999 19:26:41 -0000 Received: from rbra-90-210.resnet.ohio-state.edu (HELO osu.edu) (164.107.90.210) by srv2.resnet.ohio-state.edu with SMTP; 30 Apr 1999 19:26:41 -0000 Message-ID: <3729CBDF.5A448F8B@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:27:29 +0000 From: Diana Kocar X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.06 [en] (Win98; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: TMBG List Subject: Re: TMBG: Columbus show maxi-review! References: <004701be92e1$e7ae2880$bd2c0904@aah1084-access> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Diana Kocar ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:07:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: dfb Message-ID: <19990430.170751.4054.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Colleen Anne McClanahan with her rhyming name commented: >No, it just sounds like an Urban Legend. :) >"I heard that there was this guy... and HE GOT HIS VIDEO EARLY! I mean, >stuff like that can reallyl happen, right? It has to happen to somebody!" Maybe it was in that bad "Urban Legends" movie. Then the video came alive and KILLED the guy! OH, THE HUMANITY! Yeah, I'm bored too. ever-sincere, eriKa, who says "feh!" to prom and all its evil associates. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:54:24 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <372A2690.31242D6C@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: NonTMBG: Plastic Nebraska (was: JACK HANDEY MY GREGORIAN ASS!) LOADING....... I was perusing that site which LimeZinger recommended to us earlier, and I came upon the band Plastic Nebraska, so I went to their site http://plasticnebraska.com . Have any of you folks in that area of our fine upstanding country (NY) seen the band which claims my state is bendy? Do you think they are any good? I listened to a bit of their RA and/or MP3 stuff... I don't fervently hate _or_ like it, so blah. I do know this. The reviews (and the band, appearantly) seem to suggest that their sound is akin to standing in the middle of Nebraska with your thumb up it. Mind you, I'm no State Advocate, but WE DO NOT SOUND LIKE THIS! ^_^ Thumb up it or not! I will not argue the many many cows and farmers, but our 'sound' is more like Paul Harvey, County Music and whatever Mainstream has finally made it to our landlocked hole. The 'kids' love to listen to Marilyn Manson, etc. Whatever's mainstream. And the most sickening thing is watching 'So-White-It-Makes-Aryan-Look-Bad' rich kids driving around in $50,000+ vehicles with stickers of Calvin (and hobbes**) uriniating, playing rap so damn loud your bones shrivel up and die. Oh, and FOOTBALL. Dear Lord, if you're not a fan. Anyway, I merely wanted to ask this groups opinion (if any) of this band, Plastic Nebraska. You people are usually the ones who know things like this. Those people over at the philatelic site flamed me so bad for even asking ANYTHING offtopic my ass hurts! ^_^ Mike "HICKS! Not HILLBILLIES!" Leffel ---Neither Hick nor Billy * --------------------------------------------------------------- (**)These 'stickers' usually feature a screwed up drawing of Calvin urinating on a logo of some sort (Ford, Chevy, Orion, etc.) and nowadays they're everywhere in this section of the US. These 'stickers' are NOT advocated by Universal Press Syndicate or Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes. In fact, no merchandise but the many books are advocated. Therefore, if you see these stickers or any other bootleg/fake items, do what I do, and smash it silly with the nearest available Blunt Object(tm). If you don't destroy it, who will?(tm) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990430224247.10273.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: shatner Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:42:45 PDT <> transformed man? i haven't heard it, but i've heard that fear of pop song, in love. that's good old shatner making a comeback with the help of ben folds, john painter and caleb southern... truly awful, but really funny. i do like that fear of pop cd though. i paid my money! someone (eriKa i believe, but i can't remember) mentioned Frank London playing on the new ben folds five cd. he's also playing during the song 'steven's last night in town', for those of ya'll that care. and i love that new bff cd, i'm was just listening actually. i just got the moxy fruvous cd 'live noise', and i think that's pretty damn good too. i'm listening to that right now, and i can see why there are a lot of tmbg fans who like them. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ you're worried there might not be anything at all inside but that you're worried should tell you that's not right don't try to see yourself the way that others do it's no use --> "Jane", Ben Folds Five Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <372A05B0.25ACB7F0@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:34:09 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: shatner Crystal Cooper wrote: on the new ben folds five cd. he's also playing during the song 'steven's last night in town', for those of ya'll that care. and i love that new bff cd, i'm was just listening actually. Sigh....I want my BFF CD! I ordered it from CDnow a good week and a half ago, promptly sent in my check, and it still hasn't come. :-( Sorry, just had to complain about that... Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <372A47ED.7A4152DB@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:16:48 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Re:Louisville show review (long) carlyn nugent wrote: [An excellent review about the Louisville,KY show in which she described the Johns occasionally getting annoyed by the crowd.] This is something that bugs me a little about the Johns. A few people in the audience occasionally do stuff that they deserve to get their ass kicked for but They (especially Flans) will then punish the entire audience just like a school teacher who makes the whole class stay after class because someone stole her chalk or something. I was at one show where Flans angrily started swearing about how they would not sing the final song because one kid was stealing stuff from the stage. It made the whole scene uncomfortable. I'll bet the reason Flans took the set lists is because he thought you were all bad little boys and girls that didn't deserve them. I wish Flans would consider how this makes him look. I don't blame them for being angry but theres no need to bring everyone down. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:57:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:Louisville show review (long) In a message dated 99-04-30 20:16:20 EDT, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: > I'll bet the reason Flans took the set lists is because he thought you were > all bad little boys and girls that didn't deserve them. I wish Flans would > consider how > this makes him look If Flans wants to take the setlists, he can TAKE the fuckin' setlists. It's his (well, and Linnell's) f'n band. You oughta be glad they're still out there touring. Shit. ------------------------------ From: TMBGnMP@aol.com Message-ID: <6b874d87.245bc42c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:42:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bowery Ballroom Show? Can anyone tell me anything about the two shows at BB? What times? Is it 18+ for all shows or does it have a 21+ or all ages one? Thanx for the help, TMBGnMP@aol.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-1 *****************************