Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 13 Thursday, 13 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: NON-TMBG: Volvo Commercial Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: DFB Mistake?/Mr. Popeil and TMBG: business partners? TMBG: Speaking of DFB... Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Speaking of DFB... TMBG: hey! Re: TMBG: hey! TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff TMBG: Re: MonoSnafu TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff TMBG: Re: MonoSnafu Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff TMBG: Wompedy and shoes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-Id: <926489440.16739.438@excite.com> Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:10:40 PDT People, I was wondering if anyone else was of a similar (possibly crass) opinion as me concerning Flansie's 'attempt' at a second album. This album sucks. Straightforward opinion in my book, which is rather large, has few pages and five words per page and details the life of a happy dog called Spot. Where were the ideas and clever licks we loved in Unsupervised? I think John has now exhausted his talent for writing - at best second-rate - garage-style songs. He should return to what he's best at. Backing up John L's better songs. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private email at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002301be9dde$2ff46940$21a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:48:38 -0700 uh oh....you stepped in the shark pool man. And I would like to be the first to bite. Two people who are best friends forever as J & J are, they tend to think alike. They might be giants is the birth of the two minds coming together. so john linnels songs are just as much as flansburgh songs and vice versa. Mono Puff's first album was the first attempt to break away from tmbg. if your gonna have another band ya gotta have a different sound. the second album did just that. wehter you liked it or not, it was different than tmbg. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <8efeea8f.246a9eb0@aol.com> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 05:06:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff While I like Unsupervised a bunch, I must say It's Fun to Steal is a much more cohesive album. Unsupervised is extremely choppy to me, more so than any TMBG album, and my favorite songs from the Unsupervised era are "Unsupervised, I HIt My Head" and "Tryptaphane" (from the "Devil" ep} which also happen to sound by far the most TMBG-ish. With IFTS, Flans and the MP gang finally found a sound and stuck with it. I'm not sure what "ideas and clever licks" you think are missing, but it doesn't seem like there are any less of them on IFTS than most TMBG albums. Now as to your crack about Flans going back to "backing up Linnell's better songs," I couldn't disagree more, and few things upset me on these forums as much as Flans-bashing. Flans is the creative, hardworking backbone to TMBG, and as much as I love Linnell's solo work, it's definitely missing something without Flans's earthier tunes to balance it out. Kay ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905121331.JAA21130@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:31:11 -0400 (EDT) > - garage-style songs. He should return to what he's best at. Backing up John Why do you call it garage-style songs? Garage music is more grunge/punk than anything else. It's Fun To Steal is funk/disco/groove. I don't understand the "garage-style songs" you speak of. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990512141032.15528.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Flaming Carrot" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Volvo Commercial Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:10:32 CDT No...I'm quite aware what Styx and Mr. Roboto sound like, and I know which commercial you're referring to. The one i'm referring to is deifinately Laetitia Sadier, but I can't place the song. Perhaps it's old McCarthy, but I haven't heard any McCarthy so I couldn't say. Bjorky "I just want to find the freakin' song" Bjorky _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37399894.B974BBDF@airmail.net> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:04:52 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff "Leon X. Deggs" wrote: > > People, > I was wondering if anyone else was of a similar (possibly crass) opinion as > me concerning Flansie's 'attempt' at a second album. Gauging by the opinions given so far, apparently not. > This album sucks. I really don't think so. Now when I first heard the album, I was certainly less than impressed with it. But it's managed to grow on me quite a bit. > Where were the ideas and clever licks we loved in > Unsupervised? Well, I haven't heard Unsupervised, but I think It's Fun To Steal has its share of ideas and clever licks. It just takes a bit to get into them. > I think John has now exhausted his talent for writing - at best second-rate > - garage-style songs. He should return to what he's best at. Backing up John > L's better songs. Again, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. I'd also like to respectfully disagree with Erich, since I don't think the Johns are one entity, either. While it's true that they credit everything to They Might Be Giants collectively, there are certain songs that have a particular John's stamp on them. For example, S-E-X-X-Y practically screams, "Flans wrote me!" But anyway, I think Flans has plenty of pleasant suprises left for us. I predict vast improvement for "First Kiss" a la "She's Actual Size." Besides, I'm not sure I could stand a whole hour of Linnell's voice without a break (although it can actually be soothing in small doses). Flans definitely has the better voice when he wants to. Why he doesn't seem to want to very often is a mystery to me. As I've said before on this list, both Johns need each other. Elaboration available upon request. Danielle -- URL: http://come.to/cherubino And give me back my evil heart So I can see you as you are... --John Linnell, "Maine" ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <87dd76b9.246af106@aol.com> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:58:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: DFB Mistake?/Mr. Popeil and TMBG: business partners? Ok, on my friends copy of DFB, which he got thru the info club, the tape starts out part of the way into Dr. Worm. Has anyone else gotten anything like this, or is his a defect? I'm still waiting for mine to come so I can compare them, but you people can probably help me right? Derek "What is everyone staring at?" Hi Derek, My copy of DFB has all of Dr. Worm on it, so it probably is a defected copy that your friend has. Karen "Marvin and Bender are my robot penpals" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com P.S. When "old New York" was mentioned in the last Futurama episode, I had to laugh...all this talk about cartoon TMBG references and all :-) And Ron Popeil invented the disembodied head franchise? Next TMBG will be requesting people to buy pasta makers and spray-on hair on their next album. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:09:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: Speaking of DFB... While I'm on the subject of DFB, does anybody on here know who that blond girl in the "Guitar" video is? My kids are now addicted to my copy of DFB. My fave video is Ana Ng, and my daughter likes Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head-- all she plays now is the Flood album (especially Birdhouse), even more than N'SYNC :-D Karen "put your head inside the Total Perspective Vortex" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com P.S. I really like the John's choreography on DFB...do they include any of those type of movements when performing on stage? ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:21:00 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990512.092736.4526.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >"Leon X. Deggs" wrote: i know this is totally unecessary but way to go leon... ya got a thread going and it's not even off topic. ten points your direction for starting some controversial issues too... :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html np: Bran Van 300: Glee :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:48:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990611.024843.2846.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: who? not me danielle asserted her opinion vocally (hyuk, hyuk): >Besides, I'm not sure I could stand a whole hour of >Linnell's voice without a break (although it can actually be >soothing in small doses). Flans definitely has the better >voice when he wants to. Why he doesn't seem to want to very >often is a mystery to me. i'm afraid i must pronounce disagreement. my love of flansy is as much as the next tmbguy, what with "it's fun to steal" being one of my vera favorite albums (forgive me, erika--and now doth time waste me ..), but in my belief linnell's voice is gads better. his range extends farther, staying on the correct pitch more often; if little else he's able to lose the whine, unlike flans. one need only hear flans's attempted vocal counterpoint on the live "birdhouse in your soul" to realize he doesn't have the greatest voice. but i do love flans, really. i loved ifts from the first time i heard it, though i'm familiar too little of linnell's own solo stuff to have much to compare. >As I've said before on this list, both Johns need each >other. Elaboration available upon request. > >Danielle yes--hooray that it's johns, and not john. not only--but especially for!--the ladies, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3739A9DE.2E650317@airmail.net> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:18:38 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff who? not me wrote: > > danielle asserted her opinion vocally (hyuk, hyuk): > > >Besides, I'm not sure I could stand a whole hour of > >Linnell's voice without a break (although it can actually be > >soothing in small doses). Flans definitely has the better > >voice when he wants to. Why he doesn't seem to want to very > >often is a mystery to me. > > i'm afraid i must pronounce disagreement. my love of flansy is as much > as the next tmbguy, what with "it's fun to steal" being one of my vera > favorite albums (forgive me, erika--and now doth time waste me ..), but > in my belief linnell's voice is gads better. On the first couple of albums, that's true. Flans misses notes left and right, rendering some songs almost unlistenable. > his range extends farther, Not really. Flans has definitely got more upper register. Airy tenor vs. nasal baritone; it's how I tell them apart, you see. ;) > staying on the correct pitch more often; if little else he's able to lose > the whine, unlike flans. Kinda makes you wonder why he doesn't do it more often (lose the whine, that is!). ;) > one need only hear flans's attempted vocal > counterpoint on the live "birdhouse in your soul" to realize he doesn't > have the greatest voice. It's weird; Flans has a decent voice, but he doesn't use it 90% of the time. "Pet Name" is a great example of this. As the song begins, his voice sounds airy and weak (sorry, there's no nice way to put it). But as the song progresses, his voice develops a little meat to it to where it almost sounds decent. Also, on the DAS version of "Rat Patrol", he sings with a much fuller tone than he usually does. In fact, as you'll recall my very public gaffe, I thought it was Linnell for a while! > but i do love flans, really. i loved ifts from the first time i heard > it, though i'm familiar too little of linnell's own solo stuff to have > much to compare. Oh, when State Songs gets released (through something other than Hello), I'll be one of the first to buy it! But somehow I doubt it'll be an hour long. And in "South Carolina" he breaks it up by doing different vocal styles. > >As I've said before on this list, both Johns need each > >other. Elaboration available upon request. > > > >Danielle > > yes--hooray that it's johns, and not john. They're Yin and Yang, I tell you. ;) > not only--but especially for!--the ladies, > > jay. Danielle -- URL: http://come.to/cherubino And give me back my evil heart So I can see you as you are... --John Linnell, "Maine" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:47:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990512.154715.4414.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Leon "The X is for seXxy" Deggs wrote: >I was wondering if anyone else was of a similar (possibly crass) opinion as >me concerning Flansie's 'attempt' at a second album. Hm. Well, I can't really give an opinion on IFTS, as I will not hear it until someone sends me a tape of it , which he was supposed to do a long time ago . But I think that at some parts, Unsupervised almost recalls TMBGish sounds a bit too much (at least, I think so... but what do I know?), which is understandable, as it was Flansy's first attempt at doing something new - I mean, you do one thing as long as he has, and it's bound to rub off onto other things - and probably by IFTS he was more able to do so. But I'm guessing here folks, as I've not heard IFTS yet . As for voices and all, Flansy can have an impressive tone when he tries enough, and he can definitely get some of those upper octave notes quite well. But I must say I like Linnell's singing better - I'm not saying he's got the better voice, as they both have their good and bad songs, I just find Linnell's singing more my cup of tea (I dig that nasal baritone ). I never fail to be impressed by Linnell's rather expansive vocal range, he gets some very low notes, and can hit some of the higher ones fairly well, and I'm always amused by the various ways he can distort it. But I'm torn, because I can sing along a lot better with Flansy, as I can't get some of Linnell's lower notes. Feh. ever-sincere, eriKa, I'm Ken Griffey! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 03:38:52 -0500 you must have written this as much to express your opinion as to get everybody pissed at you. i'm not pissed, but i do think you're stupid. anyhoo, here's my $.02 on monopuff where were the creative licks on unsupervised again? the devil, unsupervised, and tryptophane were the best songs as well as the most tmbg-ish. plus the general feel of unsupervised is "so that's why this isn't on a tmbg album." i found the groove-oriented licks of ifts much more appealing than unsupervised. it's much more developed beyond tmbg than the first album. plus, flans's job is much more than backing up linell. have you ever talked to them or at least seen them live? probably not or you would know that linnell is much more reserved both on stage and off, and flans does most of the talking, and is a bit more of a leader. * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:53:00 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3739EA2C.FADC0A2C@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff > I think John has now exhausted his talent for writing Flansburgh has yet to make a song that is played on MTV and Radio Stations across the country numerous times that is one verse and 20 minutes long. Flansburgh has yet to entice and mesmerize the mass of ignorant drool puppies that cry for trite. I have yet to hear Flansburgh tunes blaring at a football game. I have yet to see Flansburgh write an episode of Suddenly Susan. >- at best second-rate > - garage-style songs. "Smells Like Minimum Wage!" (Heeya! >Crack!<)" > He should return to what he's best at. The guy at the waterslide who says when you can go. I ask all the "Know It All's" (*)out there: What exactly is the percentage of songs on IFTS that Flansburgh actually *wrote*???? I know that "Hillbilly Drummer Girl" is a prewritten song.... (*)as in "Those Who Know It All" Mike "Likes every aspect of MonoTMBG, except for.." Leffel > _____________ > Leon X. Deggs > > _______________________________________________________ > Get your free, private email at http://mail.excite.com/ Questionable. Highly Questionable. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:00:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Speaking of DFB... Message-ID: <19990512.170100.-169247.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker That would be none other than Laura Cantrell... that's all i know though. I know i've seen others on the list mention her before and i'm sure they have much more info... i feel so inferior... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v On Wed, 12 May 1999 11:09:27 EDT MuseKJ@aol.com writes: >While I'm on the subject of DFB, does anybody on here know who that >blond >girl in the "Guitar" video is? My kids are now addicted to my copy of >DFB. My >fave video is Ana Ng, and my daughter likes Put Your Hand Inside The >Puppet >Head-- all she plays now is the Flood album (especially Birdhouse), >even more >than N'SYNC :-D ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:06:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Jennivere Scagel Subject: TMBG: hey! Message-ID: hey hey! i just received my first digest of the list! yay! it's cool :) and i have a question that maybe one of you can answer that no one in all my years of giant loving has been able to answer - is either john married? jenn ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990512211344.6770.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:13:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Christine Sinacore Subject: Re: TMBG: hey! both... sorry :) --- Jennivere Scagel wrote: > hey hey! > i just received my first digest of the list! yay! > it's cool :) and i > have a question that maybe one of you can answer > that no one in all my > years of giant loving has been able to answer - is > either john married? > > jenn > > _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:28:38 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990512.172838.6670.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike Leffel proclaimed: >I have yet >to see Flansburgh write an episode of Suddenly Susan. Then you obviously didn't see that hilarious one where Brooke Shields, John Flansburgh and Kathy Griffen were in the elevator, and Judd Nelson got on and Kathy Griffen said, "You got to have clean feet to come in here!" and Judd Nelson looked very perturbed... It was hysterical! No, wait... that was my Spanish class today. My mistake. >The guy at the waterslide who says when you can go. But would he let me wear his glasses? Maybe if I asked real nice? Would he sing and give me a rose? Would he paint my toenails? ever-sincere, eriKa, !Uf! !Que chuleta de cerdo! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:41:48 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3739F59C.79023A8B@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: MonoSnafu Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Mike Leffel proclaimed: > >I have yet > >to see Flansburgh write an episode of Suddenly Susan. > > Then you obviously didn't see that hilarious one where (Oxymoron Alert!!!!) > Brooke Shields, > John Flansburgh and Kathy Griffen were in the elevator, and Judd Nelson > got on and Kathy Griffen said, "I can't believe your nose!" > and Judd Nelson inhaled her... It was hysterical! > The shadow of David "Dig My Grave!" Strickland can be seen in the background, twisting, in the wind. Twisting, twisting twisting, in the wind. > No, wait... that was my Spanish class today. My mistake. ?Yo quirky TMBG? > >The guy at the waterslide who says when you can go. > > But would he let me wear his glasses? Maybe if I asked real nice? Would > he sing and give me a rose? Would he paint my toenails? > Now there's some lyrics!!! Poison Flowers Part 2: The Capn' Erica Rae-Mix Anyway, I'm sure all you people who've been online non-interruptedly for the last two years have already tried it, but go check out the TMBG game by Mr. Wompedy. It's nifty, and I've got to get around and send him a fetus full of candy in appreciation sometime soon....and the rest of the TMBG stuff is mind blowing. I thank you mysterious stranger!!!!!!!!!! >_< Mike "The Address Eludes Me At The Moment" Leffel -----Awaiting The New Starwars Movie Just So Target Will Put *other* Action Figures In Their Store Again ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:12:40 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3739C498.A8CCCC74@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff "Leon X. Deggs" wrote: > I think John has now exhausted his talent for writing - at best second-rate > - garage-style songs. He should return to what he's best at. Backing up John > L's better songs. I guess some people like being abused (which is what you're getting), and GOOD! Flans rules. To paraphrase my friend who got me into Them, "Linnell is the great musician and Flans is the heart and soul." drunk impersonation: Rock and roll forever man! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:20:13 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3739C65D.193451A1@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles This big Flans/Linnell discussion has made me think of a simple hopefully non-controversial reason why They are better than the Beatles: Because after almost 20 years John and John haven't wanted to kill each other or gotten huge egos or (dot dot dot). Now you may argue that TMBG didn't get big and burn themselves out like Lennon/McCartney, or that since They write fundamentally different types of songs (lyrically anyway) that you can't compare apples and oranges. But I can and so there and ha ha! I still love the White Album but it's more fun to sing the Pink one. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:27:46 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3739C822.C4757A56@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > But I'm torn, because I can sing along a lot better with Flansy, as I > can't get some of Linnell's lower notes. Feh. Songs that tear my voice up: --Hotel Detective is always screamed out the window of my car (by moi) --Absolutely Bill's Mood (of course) --Alienation's for the Rich (after singing the previous load of songs, Flans' vocals make me choke sometimes, but I do it anyway!) --Pencil Rain (another one too deep) --Whistling in the Dark (of course) --Letterbox (it doesn't tear my voice up, but I can never do the lyrics properly) --Dinner Bell (argh! I'm going to sit down and memorize all those foods someday!) --i CAN sing all of fingertips :) --everything but that really LOW note in O Do Not Forsake Me :( --Stomp Box because I scream it too loud --Dead Guy I just sing TOO much, like walking down the street and it makes people stare at me in a weird way, I dunno why... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:51:12 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: On Wed, 12 May 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Hm. Well, I can't really give an opinion on IFTS, as I will not hear it > until someone sends me a tape of it , which he was > supposed to do a long time ago . -snip- > I'm guessing here folks, as I've not heard IFTS yet jay>. > You know, It's Fun To Steal has been commercially available for quite a while now. Why don't you do Flans a favour and go to the store and buy it? Unless of course you are referring to an official tape release of the album, which I don't think ever happened. In any case I can't see why a TMBG-Mono Puff fan would not have already made their way to a record store to buy the album a long time ago. Making dubs of commercially available material for other people is, I think, a mistake. MIKe www.journalx.com Last CDs played: SLOAN - One Chord To Another Navy Blues ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:51:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-May-99 TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Be.. by The Great Quux@stardatec > This big Flans/Linnell discussion has made me think of a simple > hopefully non-controversial reason why They are better than the Beatles: > > Because after almost 20 years John and John haven't wanted to kill each > other or gotten huge egos or (dot dot dot). Now you may argue that TMBG > didn't get big and burn themselves out like Lennon/McCartney, or that > since They write fundamentally different types of songs (lyrically > anyway) that you can't compare apples and oranges. But I can and so > there and ha ha! I still love the White Album but it's more fun to sing > the Pink one. I dunno, I think Flans has that ego you're talking about. I was at both shows in New York at new years, and towards the end of the first half of the second show, he couldn't get any of his guitars to work and stormed off the stage yelling at the stage hands who couldn't get his guitars in tune. His temper is allegedly the reason a lot of people stopped being associated with TMBG, also... There is one thing that makes a TMBG show good: they're both in good moods. If Flans is pissed off or Linnell is tired, you'll notice, and it will come through in the performance. I don't think the two of them have a problem with each other, although there was apparently considerable disagreement over Pet Name before they stopped playing it - from what I've heard, Flans is the only member of the band that likes the song. That's the reason it's gone away and come back each time they get a new bassist who doesn't hate it yet. And besides, Flans is probably jealous - Linnell's songs have always been the more popular among fans (Don't Let's Start, She's An Angel, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, End of the Tour) and Linnell was voted 9th most beautiful in People's online hackfest, er, poll, last year. :) For the most part, I think they have better personal dynamics than the Beatles did in their later years, but I still don't think they're "better" than the Beatles. I don't think anyone is better than the Beatles. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:54:29 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-May-99 Voice-tearing songs (was Re.. by The Great Quux@stardatec > --Whistling in the Dark (of course) Even Linnell has a problem with this one sometimes. When I saw them in 1994, his voice cracked during one of the refrains and he couldn't figure out which octave to sing in. (because he usually raises it an octave for performances) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:21:05 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990611.102106.2686.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: who? not me flippy wrote: >You know, It's Fun To Steal has been commercially available for >quite a while now. Why don't you do Flans a favour and go to the >store and buy it? Unless of course you are referring to an >official tape release of the album, which I don't think ever >happened. In any case I can't see why a TMBG-Mono Puff fan would >not have already made their way to a record store to buy the album >a long time ago. Making dubs of commercially available material >for other people is, I think, a mistake. there exists cases in which dubbing commercially available material is wrong, but many times it is simply caution. i cite myself as an eexample: the tape i received from erika of flans's "unsupervised" was quite nifty, and i plan to purchase the cd as a result; as well has the commercial ben folds five material she sent given me a love of that band i would have found nowhere else. if i had not enjoyed that music i could have discarded the tape and no money would have been lost to anyone.. i would likely have not purchased any of the albums anyway, in fact never considered anything ben folds. 'sides, my tape's already starting to wear out. my making a tape for erika harms no one: it warns her of whether or not the album is enjoyable before i send it. if she went ahead and purchased it, then disliking it ... well, then she'd return it, and it'd be just the same. if the plan was for the two of us to make dubs of all our cds and send them so we'd never have to buy those albums .. well, that's wrong, but there are several tmbg cds erika has bought during the course of our friendship that i could've taped for her any time. immorality is not our intent, and therefore nothing immoral is done. not only--but especially for!--the ladies, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199905122319.TAA43262@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:20:42 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff At 10:21 AM 6/11/99 -0400, who? not me wrote: >immorality is not our >intent, and therefore nothing immoral is done. Wow, I suddenly feel liberated! This opens up a world of opportunity! :P --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:07:53 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: MonoSnafu Message-ID: <19990512.200907.4390.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike Leffel recalled: > Brooke Shields, > John Flansburgh and Kathy Griffen were in the elevator, and Judd Nelson > got on and Kathy Griffen said, "I can't believe your nose!" > and Judd Nelson inhaled her... It was hysterical! > >The shadow of David "Dig My Grave!" Strickland can be seen in >the background, twisting, in the wind. Twisting, twisting >twisting, in the wind. Talk about twisting! You *so* twisted my words around. You obviously didn't see the episode I was talking about, because there was no nose talk, and no David Strickland - the one I'm talking about had the scene with Linnell storming in and hitting that Italian guy with a typewriter. You're talking about one of the other sixteen episodes where Flansy guest-starred. yo: > No, wait... that was my Spanish class today. My mistake. Mike Leffel dice: >?Yo quirky TMBG? Well, we did watch Don Quixote in there... ever-sincere, eriKa, look for the Cap'n Erika Rae Poison Flowers Remix on MTV's next Party To Go album! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:08:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff Message-ID: <19990512.200907.4390.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike (we have a lot of Mikes here...) said: >You know, It's Fun To Steal has been commercially available for >quite a while now. Why don't you do Flans a favour and go to the store and >buy it? Unless of course you are referring to an official tape release of >the album, which I don't think ever happened. In any case I can't see why >a TMBG-Mono Puff fan would not have already made their way to a record >store to buy the album a long time ago. Making dubs of commercially >available material for other people is, I think, a mistake. Hm. Well, I would have most certainly gone out and bought IFTS by now if it weren't for two[2] minor conflicts: Conflict One[1]: I have no money. None. Not a dollar to my name. I am unable to get a job at this moment, so I will continue to have no money for a while. And I can't get a CD just on my good looks and charm, although I have tried, believe you me. Conflict Two[2]: I have been unable to find any store in my immediate area that sells Mono Puff. I came across Unsupervised at a used CD store by impeccable luck. I have been unable to find It's Fun To Steal anywhere, or I would have most certainly bought it by now, believe you me. jay be jay commented: >but there are several tmbg cds erika has bought during the course of our friendship that i could've taped for >her any time This is true. In fact, I spent the last fifteen dollars to my name to buy Factory Showroom, and I now own all the major albums, but for Then. Hooray for me. And actually, I've bought all my TMBG cds in the year or so I've known Jay, and could have had any of them taped by him. But that's not right - I'm not a slacker! I want to support my favorite musicians as much as possible. Besides, I enjoy spreading the music I love to the people I love - is this any different than making a mix tape for a friend? But anyway, no matter what I say, I can almost sense another long, drawn-out argument coming on over whether dubbing commercial material is okay, which could involve bickering, questioning morality and smartass comments about feeling liberated so I'll go retreat to my Captain's Quarters until it's done. ever-sincere, eriKa, who loves it when people tell me things I know like I'm a six-month-old retarded child, but I'm lettering in academics in my mere sophomore year of high school, so screw you and screw your friend! - Unless you're more important, than screw *you* and screw *your* friend! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990512213325.0092c8d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:34:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff At 08:08 PM 5/12/99, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > >Conflict One[1]: I have no money. None. Not a dollar to my name. I am >unable to get a job at this moment, so I will continue to have no money >for a while. And I can't get a CD just on my good looks and charm, >although I have tried, believe you me. Well, y'know, that's a drawback of capitalism. Just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you're entitled to it. >Conflict Two[2]: I have been unable to find any store in my immediate >area that sells Mono Puff. I came across Unsupervised at a used CD store >by impeccable luck. I have been unable to find It's Fun To Steal >anywhere, or I would have most certainly bought it by now, believe you >me. It's in-print, so even if a store doesn't have it in stock, they can order a copy for you. Or you could order it online. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 22:59:55 -0400 From: Mark D Beissel Message-ID: <373A402B.55@ameritech.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff Mike Leffel wrote: > > I ask all the "Know It All's" (*)out there: What exactly is the > percentage > of songs on IFTS that Flansburgh actually *wrote*???? It's all in the liner notes... he wrote most of them. Off the top of my head, I know "Hillbilly Drummer Girl" and "Pretty Fly" are covers. "Taste The Bass" is by Hal. Flans co-wrote "Extra Krispy" and "Creepy". I think that's it, but, again, I stress that this is all from memory... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007c01be9cf0$b2a9a920$b43e0904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: Wompedy and shoes Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:28:38 -0400 Mike Leffel proclaimed: > Anyway, I'm sure all you people who've been online non->interruptedly for the last two years have already tried it, but go >check out the TMBG game by Mr. Wompedy. It's nifty, and I've got to >get around and send him a fetus full of candy in appreciation >sometime soon....and the rest of the TMBG stuff is mind blowing. I > thank you mysterious stranger!!!!!!!!!! >_< > >Mike "The Address Eludes Me At The Moment" Leffel The address that so rudely eluded you at that moment is http://wompedy.home.texas.net I know everyone believes Mike at all times and at all costs anyhow, but I must agree and tell you all to check out this great site...it's where the rare and beautiful Misc T font resides, and he's also made a TMBG Dingbats font! Also, the background of my mondegreen page (http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/TMBGreen.html for those not paying attention) was taken off his page. Then eriKa spake: And again: Hmm, do your shoes talk to you too? Maybe we could all send you money and you could tell us we're all getting a TMBG list shirt! Not bitter, really, Amy :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-13 ******************************