Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 14 Friday, 14 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Laura Cantrell TMBG: The Guitar video+Mono Puff TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised Re: TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised A.M.-TMBG: They're in the money Re: TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised TMBG: Vote TMBG in the KROQ 106.7 Best Bands of All Time TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne TMBG: Have I been captured by a troll? Re: TMBG: Wompedy and shoes and ben folds five and unsupervised TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12 Re: TMBG: Have I been captured by a troll? TMBG: Non TMBG essay Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne Re: TMBG: Vote TMBG in the KROQ 106.7 Best Bands of All Time TMBG: Trypto-what? Re: TMBG: Trypto-what? TMBG: Tryptophan(e) Re: TMBG: Tryptophan(e) - the answer Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:26:14 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Laura Cantrell Message-ID: <19990513.004858.4310.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >That would be none other than Laura Cantrell... that's all i know >though. >I know i've seen others on the list mention her before and i'm sure >they >have much more info... i feel so inferior... Laura's so totally groovy if ya can see her live... anyways... yeah, that's laura cantrell... last i heard the only thing she'd released was her hello cd of the month club CD in 1996 (however, rumors from people here and at wfmu (where she works) www.wfmu.org... go listen) have indicated taht there is another album floating around out there. She sings on one of michael shelley's songs... you should definately check that out (come on... i have to add a cheap plug for him) *grin* take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 01:15:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: The Guitar video+Mono Puff Message-ID: On Thu, 13 May 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Ok, on my friends copy of DFB, which he got thru the info club, the tape > starts out part of the way into Dr. Worm. Has anyone else gotten anything > like this, or is his a defect? I'm still waiting for mine to come so I > can compare them, but you people can probably help me right? Reject! :) Send it back with a note of explanation. > While I'm on the subject of DFB, does anybody on here know who that blond > girl in the "Guitar" video is? My kids are now addicted to my copy of DFB. My > fave video is Ana Ng, and my daughter likes Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet > Head-- all she plays now is the Flood album (especially Birdhouse), even more > than N'SYNC :-D You mean the one holding the guitar and staring evenly into the camera? That's Laura Cantrell herself--she sings the "lion sleeps tonight" bits. She also has some stuff out, if you're interested. Look sharp during the Guitar video--you can see Brian Dewan in the crowd scene at the end. > And besides, Flans is probably jealous - Linnell's songs have always > been the more popular among fans (Don't Let's Start, She's An Angel, Ana > Ng, Birdhouse, End of the Tour) and Linnell was voted 9th most beautiful > in People's online hackfest, er, poll, last year. :) Why would Flans be jealous? After all, he got up to 3rd on the Most Influential Person of the Century poll... :) As long as we're discussing IFTS, I finally got around to hauling out my copy (confession: I'm very sorry, but by and large, Mono Puff isn't my cup o'tea) and translating the French in "Extra Krispy". Unfortunately, it didn't go very smoothly, due to the fact that the vocalists a) were whispering/muttering/mumbling and b) had thick accents. Also, it isn't terribly interesting. But anyway, here are the words of wisdom: Ooh la la Venez ici, s'il vous plait [Please come here] Mono Puff Bon. On y va. [Ok. We're going.] Venez avec nous. [Come with us.] Plenti-Pak Flansy Ghost Krabb Heaven --nicole the wonder nerd *** "So here's a song about fathers and daughters... and DEATH! And farm animals!"--Eddie From Ohio, 2/12/99 Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990513081851.41655.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 01:18:47 PDT hi everyone ok, this is really amazing, so i'm telling everyone i can think of. maybe it's not amazing to you but it's my 2 seconds of glory, so let me tell you all. i just got the american release of ben folds five's new cd, the unauthorized biography of reinhold messner. there's a video that comes with it, called spare reels. my name's on that video! anyone who's got it, go and watch song for the dumped. towards the end of it, there are a lot of shots of ben in a black t-shirt, with silver writing on it. that t-shirt was thrown onstage by members of the magical armchair, the ben folds five mailing list. we wrote a quote on the front, but i can't remember now what it was, something from alice childress i know but i can't remember exactly what. and we wrote 'from the magical armchair, brisbane' on it, and we all wrote our names on it. so if you can pause the tape at exactly the right spot, you can see my name in silver pen right there on ben's black t-shirt. wow! i freaked out when i saw that. that's my few moments of glory, i can die almost happy now. so long as they revive me later cause i hope that i get old before i die. and also, someone wrote: <> same here, actually. wow, let's make a club. anyone else want to join the 'i found mono puff's unsupervised in a used record store (against all possible odds)' club? i also found it's fun to steal brand-new, but it cost too much for me to buy, it was $36. (a normal cd here costs around $30 for those of ya'll that don't know) but here's the worst part: i had about 20 cents, or i would have brought it. oh well, it'll probably be there next time. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "make a hole with a gun perpendicular to the name of this town in a desktop globe" --> "Ana Ng", They Might Be Giants Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 06:19:02 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised Message-ID: <23122-373AD146-5224@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> same here, actually. wow, let's make a club. anyone else want to join the 'i found mono puff's unsupervised in a used record store (against all possible odds)' club? I'll join! I actually bought for myself both IFTS and Unsupervised, brand new, at the same time. But once for my friends birthday, I wanted to get him a C.D., since I love spreading the joy of music. I just happened to find Unsupervised for only 99 cents! I immediately bought it for him, since I also love spreading the joy of TMBG (and TMBG related bands). I find some great music that I can't believe is being sold for so cheap. I also found one of Skeleton Key's C.D.s for 99 cents. I got it, cause of course Steve Calhoon from Mono Puff is also drummer in this band. I'll tell ya', that's one damn good album. I also see so many C.D.s that I own for only 99 cents, just because they're by obscure bands, and nobody realizes how good they really are. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 06:28:08 -0700 (PDT) Subject: A.M.-TMBG: They're in the money Message-ID: <23127-373AD368-1987@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-453548038-1124 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit This is for those of you who don't participate in alt.music.tmbg, the newsgroup. I just think it's pretty cool. And if it's true, they could head into the studio alot more. Or maybe some show rennovations, or maybe... --WebTV-Mail-453548038-1124 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit From: prophetm@aol.commiepinko (ProphetM) Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: Did They get $5 Million?!!! Lines: 23 NNTP-Posting-Host: ladder05.news.aol.com X-Admin: news@aol.com Date: 13 May 1999 07:09:44 GMT Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com Message-ID: <19990513030944.25380.00002303@ng-ch1.aol.com> OK, tell me if anyone's heard about this. I was watching a show called Silicon Spin on the cable channel ZDTV; it's kind of a McLaughlin Group for computer issues. Anyway, they were discussing MP3s and the music industry, and one of the panelists was talking about the record industry's justification for the prices they want to charge for downloading music, considering what a low overhead downloadable files have. This panelist mentioned the costs of promotion, and of signing artists to multi-year deals, and... "...paying the artist 5 million dollars, like Goodnoise did for They Might Be Giants." Who says downloadable music isn't profitable? Has anyone else heard anything about this? If They really did get that much to put their Restless catalog online, then all I can say is wow. Way to go Johns! Mike "Unencumbered by reality..." Mike May's Mostly Queen Page, featuring rare Queen in MP3 http://members.aol.com/prophetm Mike's Lighthouse Pages http://members.aol.com/fairyfellr --WebTV-Mail-453548038-1124-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:52:32 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: ben folds five (sorry off-topic) and unsupervised Message-ID: <19990513.085347.4310.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >same here, actually. wow, let's make a club. anyone else want to join >the 'i found mono puff's unsupervised in a used record store (against >all possible odds)' club? do i get ten points for finding TDWDTN single at a used cd store? nah, actually i think that's worse cuz then you never get the groovy mono puff sticker so... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Message-ID: <1ab7747b.246c4062@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:49:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: Vote TMBG in the KROQ 106.7 Best Bands of All Time Please hurry over the KROQ webpage (www.kroq.com) and vote They Might Be Giants as one of the 106.7 greatest bands of all time. It takes like 10 seconds. KROQ is a popular alternative station in Los Angeles. Make TMBG in the top ten!!!! Winners will be announced Memorial Day weekend. Thanks much, Larry ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:06:21 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne I know it's not strictly TMBG but does anyone know anything about the above. The 'man on the radio' was singing their praises and the tracks he played sounded good. Any views anyone? Richard ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990513130910.009425a0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 13:10:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne You mean "Fountains Of Wayne". Yes, I'm a huge fan, and I highly, highly, highly recommend their albums, especially "Utopia Parkway", which is currently (at least IMO) the best album released in the past year. Yummy guitar pop...a genre that's been neglected for far too long. -Adam At 02:06 PM 5/13/99, rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: >I know it's not strictly TMBG but does anyone know anything about the >above. The 'man on the radio' was singing their praises and the tracks he >played sounded good. Any views anyone? > >Richard -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <373B27CC.BF0AA52C@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:28:12 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: Have I been captured by a troll? > This big Flans/Linnell discussion has made me think of a simple > hopefully non-controversial reason why They are better than the Beatles: > > Because after almost 20 years John and John haven't wanted to kill each > other or gotten huge egos or (dot dot dot). Now you may argue that TMBG > didn't get big and burn themselves out like Lennon/McCartney, or that > What has one thing got to do with the other? If they wanted to kill each other, would that make their music bad? Not necessarily, lots of contradictory examples spring to mind. What about Raymond Scott, who was universally hated by everyone he ever worked with, but produced some of the most interesting music of the 30s and 40s? (PS CHECK HIM OUT!!!) What about Bill Bruford and Robert Fripp, (drummer and guitarist, resp., for King Crimson), who have a well-publicized personal dislike for one another personally, but together have made some of the most innovative rock music over the past 20 years? What about..... well, you get the picture. Its a long-standing truism that some artists thrive on tension. bert r. PPS, i really don't know if Raymond Scott was hated by EVERYONE that he ever worked with, of course. But I know lots of ppl had problems working with him. np: Susana Baca, "Maria Lando" -- My homepage - now updated with even more boring photos and mindless tedium!: http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/home.htm ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:39:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Wompedy and shoes and ben folds five and unsupervised Message-ID: <19990513.153939.4518.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Amy inquired: >Hmm, do your shoes talk to you too? Maybe we could all send you money and >you could tell us we're all getting a TMBG list shirt! That could work, then I'd have the money to buy It's Fun To Steal, and I'd never be bitched at again! It's BRILLIANT! And that'll give me enough financial basis to start this "I Found Mono Puff's Unsupervised in a Used Record Store Against All Possible Odds" club. JOrdaN asked: >do i get ten points for finding TDWDTN single at a used cd store? You get a gold star and a kiss on the forehead. SWAK. Then Crystal Cooper proclaimed: >so if you can pause the tape at exactly the right spot, you can see my name in >silver pen right there on ben's black t-shirt. Well, hey, that's pretty cool you've made your way into Ben's wardrobe. Congrats. ever-sincere, eriKa, and would I have monkeys pick my nose? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:56:47 +0100 (BST) From: Kate Kersley Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12 Message-ID: Hey!!! Why does EVERYONE have such cool signature files - I don't!!! Anyone want to think one up for me?? Kate ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:48:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Have I been captured by a troll? What about Raymond Scott, who was universally hated by everyone he ever worked with, but produced some of the most interesting music of the 30s and 40s? (PS CHECK HIM OUT!!!) Susana Baca What an excellent suggestion! In fact, there shall be a Raymond Scott tribute on the 20th in June. And it's free and TMBG are playing afterwards too! Here the info: THE RAYMOND SCOTT ORCHESTRETTE LIVE in CENTRAL PARK! Sunday, June 20th 3:00 PM Central Park, New York City as part of the ''Family Jam'' program a free all-ages show for Father's Day FREE admission -- no tickets required the afternoon will also feature: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS & the Gestures Dance Ensemble Hope to see you all there! Take care. ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:06:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: Non TMBG essay Um. I know that this is no way related to TMBG, but I need some help. For our final essay in comp. class we are supposed to do a "research" paper. Mine (since the prof said if he got one more TMBG essay he'd flunk me) is on the selling of farms into large developments. I know that there are list members from all over the country, so I thought this would be the best place to do my "research." I am looking for areas where farms are being sold and sub divided into large developments, and areas where farms are not yet being sold and developed into developments. If you think that you could be of some assistance to me, please let me know. I know this is kind of a vague explanation, but it would take a lot longer to explain it in full :-) Thanks (in advance) for any help that I recieve :-) ~~Kimberly ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199905140039.UAA06171@smtp.snet.net> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:35:16 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne > I know it's not strictly TMBG but does anyone know anything about the > above. The 'man on the radio' was singing their praises and the tracks he > played sounded good. Any views anyone? i've heard of fountains of wayne... in fact, i'm going to one of their shows in about a week... yay! but never heard of foundations of wayne. i do, however, have a foundation under my house. yep. jen i once killed a man just to watch him die... but then i looked away and missed it. my friends tried to describe it to me afterwards, but it just wasn't the same. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 04:24:11 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Vote TMBG in the KROQ 106.7 Best Bands of All Time Message-ID: <19990514.042613.-911907.1.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Is there any chance They might be invited to a Weenie Roast? I don't listen to KROQ much so I don't really know much about that but would be thrilled if they could bring Them out to Southern California! Garrett Liggett P.S. Laura Cantrell is hot!! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 04:18:10 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Trypto-what? Message-ID: <19990514.042613.-911907.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Okay, I've got a copy of Tryptophan(sp - keep reading) in .wav format and the filename I got it as was triptap.wav or something. Just for the record, I love the song! Anyway, I looked up the word in the dictionary (curious mind) and found it was tryptophan. Now I know that people have said Tryptaphane, this, that and everything else, so could someone tell me what the correct spelling is? Oh yeah, the dictionary said it was pronounced like trip - ta/toe? - fan (not fane). Also, that's what my mom said when I asked her. Any pointers? I don't have Unsupervised, just IFTS so I can't check the album. Thanks! Garrett Liggett >in People's online hackfest, er, poll, last year. :) my god I love that line! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:54:22 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Trypto-what? Message-ID: <16328-373B9E6E-9424@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> It's spelled "Tryptophane," or so says Flansy, and I believe it's an anti-depressant. You know, like Prozac or something. me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004001be9dc0$197c22c0$35470904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: TMBG: Tryptophan(e) Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:13:16 -0400 Well, I looked in the TMBG and the Mono Puff FAQ, and there's no sign of this question, so maybe it should go in there...Alex...you still around? Anyhow, the definition for tryptophan in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary is as follows: a crystalline essential amino acid C11H12N2O2 that is widely distributed in proteins and on dictionary.com: an amino acid that is essential for growth and normal metabolism; a precursor of niacin The lowdown on this chemical is that it's the one in turkey that makes you sleepy, which is why everyone falls asleep after Thanksgiving dinner. There was an interp floating around that the song was about a Thanksgiving dinner, what with the bird being a turkey and the special day being Thanksgiving. Anyhow, the song rocks and when I first got the single I listened to it on repeat over and over and over and over and over.... Amy :) ...and over and over and over and over... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301be9f5e$7a0458c0$4da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tryptophan(e) - the answer Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:39:29 -0700 I know what tryptophane is and once you all know, and listin to the lyrics, youll all see the light-- Tryptophane is the sleepyness affected by turkey. I'm sure youve all heard that turkey makes people a little sleepy. well that's tryptophane. "by the leg of the bird, and the special day observed" is the definition driving lyric of the song. I'm not making this up at all people. now you know. eRiCh ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-14 ******************************