Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 15 Saturday, 15 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12 TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled TMBG: My first TMBG dream Re: TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled Re: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff Re: TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Re: TMBG: My first TMBG dream Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) TMBG: romancing filipinos TMBG: Re: Have I been captured by a troll? TMBG: a quote for you (Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12) Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles TMBG: Re: Tryptophane myth dispelled TMBG: Re: romancing filipinos TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <002401be9df0$dd136420$c3b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12 Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:02:12 +0100 >Hey!!! >Why does EVERYONE have such cool signature files - I don't!!! >Anyone want to think one up for me?? Kate, my little Brighton Belle, plunge deep into your sub conscious, ravage your soul and a signature will be hammering down upon your life like a rainfall of lumpy custard, don't deny us it any longer, unleash your mind and enlighten us with your wise words. It shall be done for you know you must try. Uncle Squid's Final Thought: la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-lead-piping The Uncle Squid site [ www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ ] Carter USM, Pharmacy & more [ http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/ ] ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990514125245.29265.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:52:44 EDT I read a while ago when my account was not sending messages that people were calling and e-mailing MTV. I am going to school in NY this fall, and on my last campus visit I had a brain storm. You know how the BSB, KORN, and other fans stand out on broadway with signs. Why doesn't some one set up a picket. Surely a few people are on the list who live in the big apple. Hey isn't the band based in broklen? WE should picket once a week, the cammeras will catch it, and maybe they will break down to buy a copy of the vidieo. -Ian Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456412C5234@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:40:16 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, The ongoing discussion regarding tryptophan is purely anecdotal. Although there are urban legends regarding "turkey makes you sleepy because it contains high levels of tryptophan," I am compelled to be temporarily pedantic: 1) Turkey does not contain any more tryptophan in any significantly higher proportion than beef, chicken, pork, or any other type of common table meat. It contains about the same amount of tryptophan as any other meat. It is not "high" in tryptophan. 2) People who eat really big meals, like on Thanksgiving Day, will naturally get sleepy during a period in the circadian rhythm known as post-parandial stupor. This is also known as "afternoon nap" or "eat big meal fall asleep." Most animals, most notably reptiles, will fall asleep after eating large meals. The turkey is only co-incidental. In any case, people usually eat a small proportion of turkey to the rest of the thanksgiving trimmings such as stuffing, cranberry sauce, bread, etc. 3) No proof exists that tryptophan *causes* sleepiness. The prevailing scientific evidence suggests that under conditions where all things are equal, tryptophan can reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep. The amount of tryptophan ingested in a thanksgiving dinner is far too low to cause this effect. Tryptophan is also involved in the body's production of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter involved with mood. It's possible that ingested tryptophan can increase serotonin levels and cause feelings of "well-being", but this is difficult to assess in relation to turkey since the amount of ingested tryptophan is so low and other ingested foods may be involved in serotonin production through unrelated and more complex metabolic pathways. The feelings of "well-being" may relax the body and assist in reducing the amount of time to fall asleep. Don't be fooled into thinking that scientists know any of this for sure, since we still don't have a cure for insomnia and very little is actually known regarding sleep in the first place. In any case, it is known that high carbohydrate meals, not high turkey meals, can cause fatigue. This is most likely not due to plasma glucose levels, but rather from the above mentioned serotonin/tryptophan connection. You'd be more correct to say, "eating bread makes you sleepy," than saying, "eating turkey makes you sleepy." 4) The proper American spelling is "tryptophan" with no "e" on the end. I don't know why Flansburgh added the "e". Maybe it just sounds better. It's a fricking great song nevertheless. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <840dbf18.246d8e1a@aol.com> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:32:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: My first TMBG dream Hey all i know i am known for all these crappy posts coming with sensless answers but i would like to tell you about the TMBG dream that i had last nite. So whoever is keeping track of these dreams can put it on their web site if they want. My dream went like so: I was on the bus with my baseball team and all of a sudden the bus stopped because of a major traffic jam. So i get off the bus and all of a sudden guess who was there. Flans just standing next to his car. So i went up to him and asked him for an autograph and he said yes. So i pulled out my Moxy Fruvous ticket for the concert i am going to and i saw him signing something and he gives me back a top of a tin can. So after that and about later into the dream we were at a house and i ws actually with the whole band and i was helping recording songs and doing backup for THEM. and this whole time Flans had this red velvet book with him. I never got a chance to see inside of it but that doesn't matter. So they all left and they left the red book there and that is when i woke up. Well if might be the best dream but it is my first and it was kool. Just trying to add my dream to the web site David "Sensless" Schmidt ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <61e8235f.246d8cf8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:28:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled Concerning Robert Plass' deliciously fact-filled post on tryptophan: "I was not aware of that!" (to quote Wayne Campbell) and "Thank You!" (to quote Garth Algar) Karen "the closet entomologist" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990514161306.23102.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mono Snuff Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:13:05 PDT Mike Leffel wrote: > > He should return to what he's best at. > > The guy at the waterslide who says when you can go. Since he quit his job down at the car wash. > I ask all the "Know It All's" (*)out there: What exactly is the >percentage >of songs on IFTS that Flansburgh actually *wrote*???? I know that >"Hillbilly Drummer Girl" is a prewritten song.... > >(*)as in "Those Who Know It All" In general, Mono Puff tends to have more collaboration on songs than does TMBG. Flans wrote or co-wrote most of the songs on _Unsupervised_ and IFTS, but the other band members are often given writing credit, too. I don't know if they just wrote their own parts of the song (bass, guitar, etc.) and let Flans write the lyrics, or what. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The check's in the mail, and I'll see you in church, and don't you ever change" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201be9fc6$b6fb0e00$15a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tryptophane myth dispelled Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 11:05:42 -0700 thanks for all the technical info but still...thats what the song is about. eRiCh ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 13:03:00 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <373C6554.2330C2F2@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV The Band Four O'Clock wrote: > I read a while ago when my account was not sending messages that people were > calling and e-mailing MTV. I am going to school in NY this fall, and on my > last campus visit I had a brain storm. You know how the BSB, KORN, and other > fans stand out on broadway with signs. Why doesn't some one set up a picket. > Surely a few people are on the list who live in the big apple. Hey, ya know what? Yesterday, I caught a bit of TRL while flipping channels and they were letting people come up in the MTV building, or whatever. The requirements were basically a sign with some sort of "Oh my gosh I'm in love with you carson can i pleeeeeeeeeeeese come up?" thing on it. Yeah, I can just imagine, some list representatives standing there with a sign. Then, when they finally let them in, they'd start talking about TMBG. Yeah, but if they didn't let them talk it'd be okay, 'cause they'ds just turn the sign around to reveal some sort of TMBG message. Uh, yeah, well, i don't live in NY. Um, I'll shut up now..... never weird, often groovy, Laura Yeah ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:52:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection In a message dated 5/9/99 9:05:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, miker@stardatecomputer.com writes: << my commute to my college is about 25 minutes, so I usually have time to listen to half of an album on the way there, and the other half on the way back, and when I say 'listen' I mean, of course, 'sing at the top of my voice'. I wish my commute were longer. :( >> Perhaps this post is a bit late for this conversation (I am a couple weeks behind in checking my emails) :-) My commute to college is about 35 mintues each way (has gotten longer since there is construction on 61 AND 662, but that's another story) Somedays I wish my commute was shorter, but I enjoy getting to relax and sing TMBG songs all by myself :-) (It's called ME TIME) ~Kimberly ------------------------------ From: Gurgi1299@aol.com Message-ID: <85d4655e.246deafe@aol.com> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:09:18 EDT Subject: Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) In a message dated 5/12/99 6:30:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, miker@stardatecomputer.com writes: << Dinner Bell (argh! I'm going to sit down and memorize all those foods someday!) >> Again...probably arriving long after this topic was exhausted :-) I actually put the song on repeat in my car for an entire week (35 mintues, twice a day for five days) and eventually learned all the foods. Sometimes, if I'm not concentrating, I will still goof up :-) ~Kimberly ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:47:10 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: My first TMBG dream Message-ID: <17924-373C99DE-385@postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> and this whole time Flans had this red velvet book with him. I never got a chance to see inside of it but that doesn't matter. What could this mean? This is really interesting, at least, to me it is. If your dream is continued tonight, and you get to look in the book, make sure you let us know what's in it. I'll bet it's something really kick-ass! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990514175215.0092a070@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:53:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) At 05:09 PM 5/14/99, Gurgi1299@aol.com wrote: > >I actually put the song on repeat in my car for an entire week (35 mintues, >twice a day for five days) and eventually learned all the foods. Sometimes, >if I'm not concentrating, I will still goof up :-) LOL! That sounds like my obsession with "Just What I Needed" by the Cars. I used to listen to that song 10 or 15 times in a row every day. I still don't know all the words, and there aren't really that many. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:51:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: romancing filipinos Message-ID: <19990514.175116.13214.2.khurby@juno.com> From: billy dee williams first off, monopuff is d-o-p-e fresh. if you don't like monopuff, it's because you don't like monopuff, and not that monopuff is anything but good. again, d-o-p-e fresh, ya know what i'm saying? secondly, in all your worldly type wisdoms, which tmbg songs (or bff for that matter) do you think are nice fluffy love songs? not necessarily fluffy, but ones that would score me a little action. thanks guys. mike k ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:08:59 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C74CB.6708BBD2@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Have I been captured by a troll? Bert Rubini wrote: > What has one thing got to do with the other? If they wanted > to kill each other, would that make their music bad? Not > necessarily, lots of contradictory examples spring to mind. Ah, but the fact that J&J can make great music and NOT always have gut-wrenching relationship tension to the burn out point makes them, in my mind at least, better musicians and better people. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:11:33 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C7565.7E3E56B9@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: a quote for you (Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12) Kate Kersley wrote: > > Hey!!! > Why does EVERYONE have such cool signature files - I don't!!! > Anyone want to think one up for me?? > Here's a good one: "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul, you've got to Run Like an Antelope out of control!" (not me of course) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:18:38 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C770E.B679BCB6@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I don't think the two of them have a problem with each other, although > there was apparently considerable disagreement over Pet Name before they > stopped playing it - from what I've heard, Flans is the only member of How could anyone hate Pet Name? It's so damn lounge-singly cool! (and a great contrast with the folksky Polk that precedes it). > And besides, Flans is probably jealous - Linnell's songs have always > been the more popular among fans I really don't get that impression at all, especially from the songs They write (and since everything is credited to TMBG, we really can't say how much of each John is in what song, only what they're better at singing). > "better" than the Beatles. I don't think anyone is better than the > Beatles. I used to think that too, but as much as I loved the Beatles, I never really REALLY had such an attachment as I have for They or for my other goggly-eyed band, Phish. Without the Beatles music today would be fundamentally different, probably not as good, but They are much better lyricists, and Phish are much better musicians. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:24:27 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C786B.303DC19C@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Tryptophane myth dispelled Robert Plass wrote: > > Hello exquisite living people, > > The ongoing discussion regarding tryptophan is purely anecdotal. Great explanation! Is organic chemistry a hobby, a career, or did Isaac Asimov's ghost temporarily take over your body? :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:28:35 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C7963.655BECB@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: romancing filipinos billy dee williams wrote: > secondly, in all your worldly type wisdoms, > which tmbg songs (or bff for that matter) do you > think are nice fluffy love songs? > not necessarily fluffy, but ones that would > score me a little action. exquisite dead guy is a love song! really! the wonderful 'pet name', 'she's an angel', and 'if i wasn't shy'. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:25:48 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373C78BC.496D25E6@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream Tmbg4life@aol.com wrote: > and i was helping recording songs and doing backup for THEM. and this whole > time Flans had this red velvet book with him. I never got a chance to see > inside of it but that doesn't matter. So they all left and they left the red > book there and that is when i woke up. Interpretation: Flansburgh will lead a revolution in the USA and print up lots of red velvet books with the lyrics to all TMBG songs in them. :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:08:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Message-ID: <19990514.221319.4686.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" One of the Ians (Scott and/or Powell) of The Band Four O'Clock wrote: >Surely a few people are on the list who live in the big apple. Hey isn't the >band based in broklen? WE should picket once a week, the cammeras will catch >it, and maybe they will break down to buy a copy of the vidieo. I've been working on sending one of my pirate ships up there, but it's lost somewhere in the midwest right now, due to my navigator leaving unexpectedly a while ago. I think the voyage's two goals were: A) Get TMBG on MTV, and B) Wash Jesse Camp's hair. My ship's bound to return someday so... any volunteers for the crew? ever-sincere, eriKa, looks like you could use a cupcake! I just saw Election... ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373CA97C.7D5BC17A@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:53:49 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Why TMBG beats the Beatles The Great Quux wrote: > Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > I don't think the two of them have a problem with each other, although > > there was apparently considerable disagreement over Pet Name before they > > stopped playing it - from what I've heard, Flans is the only member of > > How could anyone hate Pet Name? It's so damn lounge-singly cool! > (and a great contrast with the folksky Polk that precedes it). Last concert I was at, in Columbus recently, they did do Pet Name, at Flans' suggestion. It wasn't on the set list, and I personally thought it was a very moving performance of it. That was about the first time I really took a genuine liking to that song. I guess I did always sort of think of it as "lounge-singly" too, but now I can really see it is a good song. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373CAB73.C80E4E21@osu.edu> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:02:12 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > My ship's bound to return > someday so... any volunteers for the crew? I volunteer!!! I wanna be the person that makes people walk the plank! Though maybe that's the Cap'n's job. > I just saw Election... Was it good? I was just a few minutes ago trying to convince my friend John to go see it with me, but when I told him the plot he said no. :-( So now I'm stuck here. *sniff* Diana ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-15 ******************************