Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 16 Sunday, 16 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: MTV USED TO PLAY TMBG? TMBG: BUT WHAT VIDEO Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV NON-TMBG: Ben Folds; piano man, future father and Australia's Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds; piano man, future father and Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV TMBG: CD Universe Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: TMBG: a quote for you (Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12) Re: TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream Re: TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV TMBG: TMBG qoutes TMBG: My NYC concert report Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990515135942.39539.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: MTV USED TO PLAY TMBG? Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:59:42 EDT If I remember right didn't MTV used to play a TMBG song or two back in the early 90's. They might still have the video in there volt, just laying there. TRL is Total Request right? Well maybe we could get a really old tmbg song on at least once.-IAN P. Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock TMBG ROCKS!!!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990515135844.3369.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: BUT WHAT VIDEO Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:58:43 EDT ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO AGREE ON WHAT VIDEO VOTE FOR.-Ian P. Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock TMBG ROCKS!!!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 10:24:34 -0400 From: The Demonic Kangaroo Message-ID: <373D83A2.C2A5FEA6@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Voice-tearing songs (was Re: TMBG: Mono Snuff) Hey, Mono Puff did a cover of that song at the 10/30/98 show. I have it on tape, perhaps I'll add it to my Mono Puff page soonish. -Mike Adam Tyner wrote > LOL! That sounds like my obsession with "Just What I Needed" by the Cars. > I used to listen to that song 10 or 15 times in a row every day. I still > don't know all the words, and there aren't really that many. :-) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 10:35:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Message-ID: <19990515.103517.4534.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" *Di-ah-nuh, Di-ah-nuh* (hehe) wrote: >I volunteer!!! I wanna be the person that makes people walk the plank! >Though maybe that's the Cap'n's job. Eh, I can't do it all the time, as I'll be busy giving Jesse Camp a haircut, so you can do it. >> I just saw Election... >Was it good? I was just a few minutes ago trying to convince my friend John >to go see it with me, but when I told him the plot he said no. :-( So now >I'm stuck here. *sniff* It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly great either. Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick were both quite good - but it's an MTV movie, so you can't go expecting Oscar caliber stuff, really - but then, I may just be picky... I don't usually go to the movies unless I'm really interested, and the last thing I saw was Rushmore... hm. I did, however, see a preview for the South Park movie, which is one of the signs of the apocalypse, I believe. ever-sincere, eriKa, it's the end of the world as we know it... "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 10:22:38 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds; piano man, future father and Australia's Message-ID: <19990515.103517.4534.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" So, I know there's at least a few Ben Folds Five fans on this list (and maybe even more - you lurkers tend to keep to yourselves, which, I suppose would be part of the whole "lurking" concept) so I thought I'd share this bit of info I've found, as it's pretty interesting, or so I think. To all you non-BF5 fans, I apologize but... well... you'll survive. "Ben Folds becomes an Aussie homeowner Ben Folds has fulfilled the great Australian dream. He's brought his own little block of dirt in Adelaide. The Carolina ivory tinkler is settling in the Adelaide suburb of Hyde Park to be with his lady and mother of his upcoming children. Ben met Frally Hynes when we was touring with the band down under in January '98. They hung out together is Sydney, fell in love and when Ben went home, found he was on the phone to Adelaide everyday. Frally flew to the USA to be with Ben for a month and ended up staying a year. They were to be married late last year, but Frally got sick or so they thought. As it turned out, she was pregnant with not one, but two Baby Bens. Frally is back home in Adelaide and Ben will follow shortly." That's it... but that's a lot of news in one little thing. Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't heard... let's all hope this marriage works out better than the first two did. ever-sincere, eriKa, "what are you, someone that makes sandwiches or something?" "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 12:16:31 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <373DABEF.ED496E15@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Cap'n eriKa rae did write: > One of the Ians (Scott and/or Powell) of The Band Four O'Clock wrote: > >Surely a few people are on the list who live in the big apple. Hey isn't > the > >band based in broklen? WE should picket once a week, the cammeras will > catch > >it, and maybe they will break down to buy a copy of the vidieo. > > I've been working on sending one of my pirate ships up there, but it's > lost somewhere in the midwest right now, due to my navigator leaving > unexpectedly a while ago. What?! Did thou not get the maps I sent with a waterway to new york? I thought we were in the midwest, but where? Perhaps we should make a stop to Missouri, where I live. Or maybe not. > I think the voyage's two goals were: A) Get > TMBG on MTV, and B) Wash Jesse Camp's hair. My ship's bound to return > someday so... any volunteers for the crew? Yes, I would like to continue to be the navigator, if that's alright with you. If not, I can always be the cook. Yeah. As long as I at least get to watch you wash Jesse's hair. Yes, that would be very exciting. Oooh, I've got a headache. > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > looks like you could use a cupcake! What kind are they?, Lauraaaa Hey, I got my first Moxy Fruvous CD last night. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 13:52:27 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Ben Folds; piano man, future father and Message-ID: <19990515.135227.4494.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Um, I dunno why this was posted twice. Sorry. ever-sincere, eriKa, computers make my brain go owchie "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 14:52:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Message-ID: <19990515.145227.19558.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" The groovy more often than not Laura wrote: >What?! Did thou not get the maps I sent with a waterway to new york? I >thought we were in the midwest, but where? Perhaps we should make a stop to >Missouri, where I live. Or maybe not. That's right! You are my new navigator. I completely forgot. Well then, the voyage is underway! Hoist the mizzenmast and swab the poop deck, ya... poop! Still groovin: >Yes, I would like to continue to be the navigator, if that's alright with >you. If not, I can always be the cook. Yeah. As long as I at least get to >watch you wash Jesse's hair. Yes, that would be very exciting. Oooh, I've >got a headache. Well, you can be both navigator and cook, but don't get ketchup on the maps, or heads are gonna roll, I tell ye! ARRRRR! ever-sincere, eriKa, does he have to use the word "poopy"? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373DAB0D.2CA0D7AC@osu.edu> Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 17:12:48 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: CD Universe I ordered my copy of DFB from CD Universe (www.cduniverse.com) about 4 weeks ago, and I still haven't gotten it! I sent in my money, and whenever I visit their web site and check my order status, it says, "Check received, waiting to clear." Has anyone else experienced similar problems with them? It seems like it's taking an awfully long time, considering CDnow sends the stuff you ordered almost as soon as they get the check. I'm afriad I'll be out of school before I get it, and then who knows how long it'll take to get to my address at home...sigh...ah well. I suppose it will all work out in the end. Diana PS I'm lovin' my new BFF and David Garza CDs. :-) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:01:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Message-ID: <19990614.090152.2686.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: who? not me my dear employer erika stated: >Well, you can be both navigator and cook, but don't get ketchup on >the maps, or heads are gonna roll, I tell ye! ARRRRR! what? i .. i thought i was your cook. the gourmet chef parrot that i am .. but--you can .. replace me if you'd like. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who's been driving around in his friend's new mustang all day today, and isn't quite how it's going to be paid for--but such are loans and credit ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 19:11:08 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <373E0D1C.8F35F116@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV who? not me bawled: > my dear employer erika stated: > > >Well, you can be both navigator and cook, but don't get ketchup on > >the maps, or heads are gonna roll, I tell ye! ARRRRR! > > what? i .. i thought i was your cook. the gourmet chef > parrot that i am .. but--you can .. replace me if you'd like. > > Oh, how can I take a job from a chef parrot? Yeah, I think you'd better continue to be the cook. Do you know anything about non-lactose cooking and stuff? feeling better every day, Laura I just saw The Matrix! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990516014703.90054.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: a quote for you (Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-12) Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:47:01 PDT >Kate Kersley wrote: > > > > Hey!!! > > Why does EVERYONE have such cool signature files - I don't!!! > > Anyone want to think one up for me?? > > > >Here's a good one: >"Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul, >you've got to Run Like an Antelope out of control!" > >(not me of course) Marco Esquandolas Might you have a... spliff? > > >-- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- > >"I hereby declare our city a free and independent state >to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 > _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990516015448.71368.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:54:46 PDT >Tmbg4life@aol.com wrote: > > and i was helping recording songs and doing backup for THEM. and this >whole > > time Flans had this red velvet book with him. I never got a chance to >see > > inside of it but that doesn't matter. So they all left and they left >the red > > book there and that is when i woke up. Are you being serious? I take it you've never heard the meaning of a red book in a dream (or so say psychologists). Red signifies anger, and you can almost never see what's in the book. This means that you don't know why you're angry. So, basically, you have some kind of repressed anger towards the person holding the book, or Flansy, in this case. I don't know anything about the velvet, though. Sorry. Todd _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <16e5045e.246f86fd@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:27:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: My first TMBG dream In a message dated 5/15/99 9:55:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: << Are you being serious? I take it you've never heard the meaning of a red book in a dream (or so say psychologists). Red signifies anger, and you can almost never see what's in the book. This means that you don't know why you're angry. So, basically, you have some kind of repressed anger towards the person holding the book, or Flansy, in this case. I don't know anything about the velvet, though. Sorry. Todd >> Well thank you for interpereting my dream for me. And to all i have absolutely nothing against Flansy I think he is a wonderful performer. and to tell everyone else sadly my dream didn't continue on to the next nite. Well i gotta jet now peace outz, David "Wishing I had another dream about THEM" Schmidt ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 23:16:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Message-ID: <19990515.231613.17350.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Jay, who wants a cracker, said: >what? i .. i thought i was your cook. the gourmet chef parrot that i am .. but--you can .. replace >me if you'd like. Aw, hell. I need to make a list of my crew, I keep forgetting who does what. Well, so far I've got: Diana - plank walking enforcement Laura - navigator, groovy chick Jay - first mate parrot and cook >Oh, how can I take a job from a chef parrot? Yeah, I think you'd better >continue to be the cook. Do you know anything about non-lactose cooking and >stuff? Well, you can still be navigator, as Jay will cry for weeks if he is not chef. And as for non-lactose cooking, I have a friend who's lactose intolerant, and her solution is pretty much not to eat anything with... milk in it... Yeah. That's about it. ever-sincere, eriKa, do I laugh now, or wait till it gets funny? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: deuels@juno.com Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:16:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG qoutes Message-ID: <19990516.011614.-276849.2.deuels@juno.com> here is my qoute send me yours in life you cannot change the past but you may be able to take the pieces of what has gone wrong and build them into something that is new and magical. or at least that is what i am trying to do. things take time it may take only 2 months it could take a lifetime but whatever you do dont give up. take every opportunity that you get no matter how crazy it is (WMD '99) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <2aae3ca8.246fb164@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:28:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: My NYC concert report Hello hello hello! You'll have to excuse me, my head is still floating from the absolutely grand time I had at the 7:30 PM show tonight, which didn't actually start until a bit after 8. This was my first-ever TMBG concert. Got to meet Mike (TDK) tonight, which was cool (hey again, Mike!), and met this physics major, Jessie, who my husband and spent a good deal of time talking to before the show (hi again to you, Jess, if you get to see this note)... OK, a rundown of my night: Barry and I got there kind've early, had no trouble getting a parking spot right around the corner from the Bowery Ballroom. There were about 30 people waiting in line ahead of us...Mike and some others were up near the head of the line, singing They songs. It was about another half hour before we were let in...Barry and I ordered a drink from the bar, and I got They's cool new concert shirt for $20. After Bar and I finished our drinks, it was another 20 minutes or so before the doors were opened, and I got pretty close to the stage (about 5 feet away from the stage, on Flans' end on the left). We all waited for about an hour I guess...Hot Stuff and Le Freak were played on the speakers, which got everybody in a bit of a party mood, and kept our minds off the delay. The combination of accumulating body heat and anticipatory waiting had me so I could barely wait to see the Johns come out and play. I think a lot of us figured there wouldn't be an opening act, and we were right (Flans later explained that they "got rid of the opening act," whatever that meant). They started out with Linnell on accordion playing a song that I think was called "No More Lies"...someone else will have to clarify the song's title for me. Confetti cannon early in the show during James K. Polk...Dan Hickey on glockenspiel for Shoehorn with Teeth...Robyn Goldwasser came out in the middle of the show and sang "Dr. Evil" (she was wearing this very pretty, sofisticated-style dress, and she sounded great!)...The Johns brought out the puppet heads on sticks during Exquisite Dead Guy -- I touched the puppet head Flans draped over our side of the audience, the spotlight right on my hand. I got the biggest kick out of that :-) The Johns were in quite good spirits, a lot of joking around...Flans pretended to berate Dan Miller for smoking his cigarette while playing the guitar, and pretended to scold Dan Hickey on his drumming -- he stopping him in mid-song, making him play the cowbell with the sticks. Flans said he wanted to hear "Hot For Teacher," so they played a bit of that as well...I absolutely loved Linnell's accordion -- a red pearlescent beauty...the fast version of Why Does The Sun Shine and a rockin' Dr. Worm (not to mention how nuts you know everyone went during New York City) had everybody bouncing up and down like crazy. Linnell plays a mean polka...I could have just listened to him play that accordion all night for the $20 ticket I bought. Oh, and I don't know if this is ordinarily done, but Flans gave the kid in front of me his pick, and let him strum on the electric guitar while Flans held it from above. A lot of fun improvising went on (with Flans and John conducting the other musicians with their hands, which I also found quite cool). Awesome Spanish guitar version of Istanbul. Every time the band played a song that they could play in their sleep, Linnell referred to those songs as "Brain Stem!" During Birdhouse, Linnell shouted "Bullshit!" into the microphone during the chorus. I'm still wondering why he said it when he did...I'm sure he (as well as everyone else in the band) is tired, being it's the end of another tour. They encouraged everyone in the crowd to come to the FREE Father's Day show at Central Park...TMBG will be performing there at the SummerStage at 3 PM. And all ages can come to that one. :-) I'm taking my kids to that show, as they both want to see They as well. Well, I guess that's all the news that's fit to print for now... Karen "just the facts ma'am" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com P.S. I think this was the best concert I've ever been to, and my husband really enjoyed the show, too :-) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-16 ******************************