Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 17 Monday, 17 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read TMBG: Tour Related Fatigue? Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read TMBG: DFB: DVD....Yes or No??? TMBG: one more thing.. Re: TMBG: one more thing.. TMBG: band of dans - profiles Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read TMBG: yay concerts! TMBG: Re: That Bogus Flansburgh Post/Flansburgh's Parents? Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: DFB: DVD....Yes or No??? TMBG: Bowery show on 5/15 Re: Fwd: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: Fwd: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read TMBG: The conspiracy TMBG: IS THE FALANSBURGH THING FOR REAL? TMBG: sorry about the misspellings Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Re: TMBG: The conspiracy Re: TMBG: The conspiracy Re: TMBG: The conspiracy TMBG: bootlegging and TMBG TMBG: Lightening strikes twice! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199905160715.DAA10866@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006b01be9f77$89f964a0$04a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:38:54 -0700 I am very sorry to bring this to all of you I hope this is fake, becuase with Linnel releasing a press release so soon that doesn't make sense, it seems to quick to be true. IF THIS IS A FUCKING PRANK I WILL BE PISSED OFF AFTER THEY WAY THIS MAKES ME FEEL RIGHT NOW: the following was posted at alt.music.tmbg: Rock Musician John Flansburgh Dies in Auto Accident Reuters WASHINGTON (May 16) - Guitarist John Flansburgh of rock band They Might Be Giants died late Saturday night in a collision after a band had played a concert at New York City's Bowery Ballroom. Flansburgh was driving with bandmates John Linnell and Dan Hickey when a truck operated by anintoxicated man collided with the driver's side of the car, killing the musician on impact. The other passengers sustained only minor injuries. John Flansburgh, along with John Linnell formed the band They Might Be Giants in the mid 1980's. The duo recorded two full-length albums before being signed to Elektra Records in 1990. Their most popular album, "Flood" recently went platinum. John Linnell stated that he plans to continue a musical career without his partner, releasing material under a different name. They Might Be Giants' live band plans to persue different musical oppurtunities. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373E855F.21909B7F@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:44:18 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Tour Related Fatigue? I don't recall anyone mentioning this but does anyone every consider the possibility that TMBG have been touring so endlessly for so many years that maybe.... just maybe... their heart isn't in it all of the time. Don't get me wrong, when I see the guys play live it's a magical event to me and I mean that seriously but I wonder, what's going in *their* mind. Are they thinking, "God, another night of of playing for these worthless geeks"? Does Linnell think to himself, "I could stand here making armpit noises and these guys would still bow down to me. I suppose it would be easy for them to forget how lucky they are to have a job in which they can express their artistic ideas and not only get paid for it but actually have swarms of people worship them. I mean I know they probably aren't "rich" even by my low standards but there are people in this world that go to work, breaking their backs digging ditches for much, much less and who only get at microscopic fraction of the respect they do. Where was I? I forgot the point that I was making.... Anyway I haven't posted in awhile so I just mentioned the first thing that came to my mind. Uh... never mind. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 04:42:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read In a message dated 5/16/99 3:39:56 AM, cannon@amouse.net writes: >the following was posted at > >alt.music.tmbg: *snip* i don't believe it, and i'll tell you why (although when i was IM'd of the post, my jaw literally dropped and i had that same feeling i got when i was IM'd by a friend that Phil Hartman died) -- i posted the following: one: never believe a supposed "Reuters" post without: 1) a time stamp. you know, something that reads like: Reut03:49 05-15-99 next time you're concocting a false story, stamp one of those at the end if you want people to believe it. and 2) a link where was this story? obviously it's not true. also, they'd never have a comment like this: >John Linnell stated that he plans to continue a musical career without >his partner, releasing material under a different name. *that* fast. ahh, and: >anintoxicated >oppurtunities. that's the first reuters article i've read that hasn't been through a spell checker. heh. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger linnellgirl@tmbg.org * icq #26873712 * mstie #77216 "intelligence is a bitch when you're tired." - ken finkleman, newsroom ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007501be9f78$f302ee20$04a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:49:02 -0700 That's a fucking sick joke. my hands are shaking. and i feel sick. eRiCh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373E872C.8D663835@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:51:59 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: DFB: DVD....Yes or No??? I'm a bit out of things on the latest TMBG news but I can swear there was talk at one time about "Direct From Brooklyn" being released on DVD (in addition to VHS.) I'm dying to buy it but I'm on the verge of entering the DVD "revolution" so I don't want to buy a VHS copy now if a DVD one already exist or is planned to be released. Please help. Thanks, B O N G O ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 04:51:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: one more thing.. if you want great sudden relief: this supposed reuters article is not on the continually updated reuters page. which is solid proof. :) i feel sick too, despite the fact i never belived it for one second. certainly it is possible. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 04:57:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: one more thing.. and... why would the article be from washington? what does washington have to do with anything? it's most likely the person that forged this article forgot to change it to new york... either that, or they've got a lot to learn about ap news. speaking of ap news, if this story were to be true, wouldn't it come from ap instead? i'd love to be able to say that i know all about the associated press, and how releasing a breaking news story goes, but i don't. i do spend a great deal of time at http://nytimes.com/aponline though. i've never been to www.reuters.com before, but i just did after hearing this story, and they appear to specialize in buisness and politics. i found nothing related to entertainment etc. on there. or i didn't look in the right place. sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <85d90f40.246feefd@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 05:50:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: band of dans - profiles just checked out theymightbegiants.com, and this appears to be new.. or i missed it last time. either way, it wasn't posted here, so here ya go. yay rochester! dunno what the "small town" mr. miller is referring to. if i recall correctly, he's from brighton (a suburb of rochester)... typos are not mine. BAND OF DANS PROFILE #1. MR. DAN MILLER Birthday : October 3rd Plays: Fender Guitars, Rivera Amps Takes His Coffee: Light, no sugar Favorite recordings: Don Lennon / Maniac "He opened for Mono Puff at a gig Boston. We were all impressed and his disk is played everyday on the tour bus (no matter who disagrees)." Queen / News Of The World "Unabashed rock excess. Classic songs mixed with 'take no prisoners' production." Pat Metheney / Offramp "As fuzaky as people think this record is, his music changed my life. I'm from a small town where you don't see a lot of music. I was a musician before I saw him perform, but I never knew I could feel that way about music. It's very visceral, a totally sublime event." First Gig: "The band was called Opus at the JCC Community Center, Rochester New York. We opened with "Eye Of The Tiger" and did a few Grateful Dead songs, a couple of Pink Floyd songs, and "Games People Play" by the Alan Parsons Project. Someone poured water over me and I got shocked off my feet." Liquor of choice: John Daniels BAND OF DANS PROFILE #2 MR. DANNY WEINKAUF Birthday: December 4th Plays : Fender and Hofner basses, Ampeg amp with Eden speakers Takes his coffee: just before shows with TMBG. Otherwise, it's tea. Previous gigs: Fountains of Wayne, Candy Butchers, Lincoln, Richard Barone, Mono Puff, Nate Ouderkirk Favorite recordings: Any Beatles, the new TMBG demos, Elvis Costello, XTC. Guilty pleasures: The Carpenters, Dionne Warwick singing Bacharach First Gig: "It was at a sweet sixteen party on Long Island. I was sixteen. I can't remember the name but we played mostly the Police, the Who and the Beatles. Our original was called "Jeanie" and it sounded like the Cars without a synthesizer." Liquor of choice: Bass Ale, red wine. Dan Hichey (drummer) profile will be arriving shortly. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 09:37:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read you know, just in case this hasn't been sufficiently debunked already, here's some more... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-May-99 TMBG: Worst post you'll eve.. by "eRiCh"@amouse.net > WASHINGTON (May 16) - Guitarist John Flansburgh of rock band They > Might Be Giants died late Saturday night in a collision after a band > had played a concert at New York City's Bowery Ballroom. I've read enough news to know that articles very rarely word things like that. Not to mention that they were probably still in the Bowery Ballroom until early Sunday morning, so this couldn't have happened "late Saturday night." > Flansburgh was driving with bandmates John Linnell and Dan Hickey when > a truck operated by anintoxicated man collided with the driver's side > of the car, killing the musician on impact. The other passengers > sustained only minor injuries. Bullshit. Total, outright bullshit. If a truck hits the driver's side and killed the driver, the other passengers aren't going to get away with minor injuries, especially someone Linnell's size. > John Flansburgh, along with John Linnell formed the band They Might Be > Giants in the mid 1980's. The duo recorded two full-length albums > before being signed to Elektra Records in 1990. Their most popular > album, "Flood" recently went platinum. Also false, unless he means "very recently." Last I checked, Flood was nearing Platinum, but hadn't quite gotten there... and they signed to Elektra in 1989. > John Linnell stated that he plans to continue a musical career without > his partner, releasing material under a different name. A different name? What name could that be? He Might Be Giant? > They Might Be Giants' live band plans to persue different musical > oppurtunities. not sure about spelling errors in news online, but this seems like an odd way to end the article, anyway. wouldn't most articles about someone's death mention survivors and such stuff? Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 09:59:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Jennivere Scagel Subject: TMBG: yay concerts! Message-ID: hey hey! MuseKJ@aol.com wrote that the TMBG concert she went to the other night was the best concert she's been to, and i have to say that the one i saw was the best concert i've been to also! They played at my college last saturday... i guess that'd be may 8th..i think. what's today? ummm,anyway, yeah, they played here for floralia which is out huge spring party fest thingy, and they rocked the free world! even the people too drunk to stand up were kinda swaying on the ground to the beat! and i was literally 5 feet away from Them! ahh, the joy of an outside semi-private concert! it was so cool :) and flansy used "estrogen" as one of the elements in the sun! hehehe :) and linnell winked at me, i swear he did :) a week later and i'm still in heaven! they definitely give the best performances of anyone! jennnnnnn ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <53d6c1d2.24702a29@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:03:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: That Bogus Flansburgh Post/Flansburgh's Parents? Don't worry your pretty little heads over such attention-getting "death" posts. I just checked "News search" on AOL for the names Flansburgh, Linnell, and Dan Hickey, and came up with nothing, nada, zippo on all three of them. If that was a Reuters story, it would have shown up, and definitely would have come out of New York, not Washington. All the other suspicious article items that the previous list members pointed out only clinch it. By the way, I do believe that was Flansburgh's parents up in the reserved front section of the balcony at the Bowery Ballroom last night...TDK Mike, can you confirm that? Karen "Back, Death! Back, I Say!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 09:07:44 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <373ED130.743DED36@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: A PLAN TO GET ON MTV Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Jay, who wants a cracker, said: > >what? i .. i thought i was your cook. the gourmet chef > parrot that i am .. but--you can .. replace >me if you'd like. > > Aw, hell. I need to make a list of my crew, I keep forgetting who does > what. Well, so far I've got: > > Diana - plank walking enforcement > Laura - navigator, groovy chick > Jay - first mate parrot and cook > > >Oh, how can I take a job from a chef parrot? Yeah, I think you'd better > >continue to be the cook. Do you know anything about non-lactose cooking > and > >stuff? > > Well, you can still be navigator, as Jay will cry for weeks if he is not > chef. And as for non-lactose cooking, I have a friend who's lactose > intolerant, and her solution is pretty much not to eat anything with... > milk in it... Yeah. That's about it. Uh, yeah, I have a friend who's lactose intolerant, no wait, that's wrong, _I'm_ lactose intolerant! Yeah, but I just realized what a stupid question that is since I, like your friend, don't eat anything with milk, or I take two Lactaid Ultras. Uh, yeah. Well then.. "Neo is a cool name", Laura, groovy chick ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:14:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read In a message dated 5/16/99 8:39:38 AM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >> They Might Be Giants' live band plans to persue different musical >> oppurtunities. > >not sure about spelling errors in news online, but this seems like an >odd way to end the article, anyway. wouldn't most articles about >someone's death mention survivors and such stuff? another tidbit i thought of long after i'd posted my 5 or so replies on the newsgroup. {g}... in every article mentioning a death, they state the age of the victim. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990516105744.009304a0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 10:58:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: DFB: DVD....Yes or No??? There was talk about releasing it on DVD for a while, but Operator Dot posted to alt.music.tmbg and said that those plans were scrapped, unfortunately. Maybe some time later, though... -Adam At 01:51 AM 5/16/99, Bongo wrote: > I'm a bit out of things on the latest TMBG news but I can swear there was >talk at one >time about "Direct From Brooklyn" being released on DVD (in addition to >VHS.) I'm dying >to buy it but I'm on the verge of entering the DVD "revolution" so I don't >want to buy a >VHS copy now if a DVD one already exist or is planned to be released. Please >help. > >Thanks, > >B O N G O > -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:22:40 -0400 (EDT) From: "John J. Ryan" Subject: TMBG: Bowery show on 5/15 Message-ID: Well, as always, the Giants rocked the house tonight. This night was especially special for me because I got to see a lot of my TMBG.com chat friends there, two of which flew from Texas! I don't have an exact set list, but I can give you some highlights, or rather, songs that I have never ehard them do live myself (This was my 4th and 5th shows, so bare with me!) First, of all, Mrs. Flansburgh, aka Sister Puff, aka Robin did sing Dr. Evil for both sets. The song had Dan Miller on keys and Linnell on accordion. I can't wait to hear what it will sound like in the film. The song is pretty funny too, and Robin could easily beat the pants of any of those other female singers who have done opening songs for the Bond films. Another treat was the Leslie Gore Classic, "Maybe I Know". This was performed just the Johns themselves, no Dans. The first time I have seen the Johns perform by themselves, and the closest I will probably com to seeing an "old school TMBG" concert. They opened the 2nd set with "Sorry, I F**ked Up The Show". THis kinda set the tone for the rest of the 21+ show, as Flans was cursing up a storm! The crowd for the 2nd show was also decidedly older, (You're older than you've ever been). Of the new songs the performed: Edith Head, Thunderbird, Cyclops Rock, It's So Loud In Here, Older, Finished With Lies. Of the songs I have never personally heard before live by TMBG: How Can I Sing Like A Girl, Mammal, I Palidrome I, Meet James Ensor, Spiraling Shape, Your Racist Friend. Why Does The Sun Shine was with Linnell singing, and Flans saying that the heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reactions between ESTROGEN! ESTROGEN! ESTROGEN! AND MORE ESTROGEN!!! And I must say, this TMBG show had the best sound I have heard. Kudos to the Bowery Ballroom and their sound guy. I leave you with exciting news, FREE TMBG SHOW IN CENTRAL PARK!!! June 20th, Summerstage, doors open at 1. See you there!!! * John J. Ryan * * Mason Gross School of the Arts - Rutgers University * * STELRFAN@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU * * http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~stelrfan * ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <8219fc49.24706645@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 14:19:49 EDT Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read In a message dated 5/16/99 7:06:37 PM, you wrote: >Rock Musician John Flansburgh Dies in Auto Accident my friend lisa brought this to my attention... i'd just like to say right now that this is 100% imposible seeing as john and john had previously chopped their own heads off on stage at the second show at the bowery ballroom to prove that they could still play Birdhouse in Your Soul with only their brainstems. thats entertainment! presumably they will go on to lead normal (though headless) lives... speaking of, those shows rocked!! what was the girls name who flew from texas? i was so out of it when i asked i forget. she gave me a free ticket. if somoene could email me thatd be cool cuz i rarely read this ~liz ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373EDE7A.874849AA@osu.edu> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 15:04:27 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read After reading that article over a few times, I'm certain it's a fake. With all the spelling and grammatical errors, some odd content in the article, and not being able to find any info on this elsewhere, I know it can't be true. Whoever wrote that is a sicko. And the sad thing is, this person may actually be (or has been) a TMBG fan, because they knew so much about them. Diana When we find the person who wrote that, (s)he'll be walkin' the plank for sure!! Arg! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 15:43:59 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Message-ID: <19990516.154359.20502.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Diana vowed angrily!: >When we find the person who wrote that, (s)he'll be walkin' the plank for >sure!! Arg! Ar! That's the spirit for sure. I'll go get the plank out of the closet (tis been a while since a good plank walking). But, if anyone sees Flansy, they should probably console him about his untimely death. Besides, they would never break up - Flans would come back as Zombie Flans, and they'd keep touring. Now *that's* an exquisite dead guy. ever-sincere, eriKa, what will we tell his mother now? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 14:38:24 -0600 Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Message-ID: <19990516.143854.13638.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >speaking of, those shows rocked!! hey kids... who opened for these shows? was it michael? yes? no? anyone worthwhile? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 25 days till Fruvous, 2 months till TMBG ...and... 3 months till i move to NYC :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <6bbf1a3f.247089df@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 16:51:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: The conspiracy I have figured out who sent the letter... it is none other than Flansy himself! Here's the scenario... Flansy fakes his death and goes into hiding. Thousands of fans mourn, word of him gets around, many new people here of TMBG via the media reporting the tragedy. Massive sales of albums follow. Massive radio coverage. DJ's weep. MTV, who realizes "they never play giants videos", begins to play them. Linnel, and Flans in hiding, get lots of money and lots of attention. Flans comes back several months later. It turns out he didnt die, but was in a coma! Everyone cheers! More sales, more attention! Then, the comeback concert! The comeback album! Millions will attend the concerts, cuz what if he really dies the next time? And this time, the Johns wont have the mentality of "Getting tired of doing all the concerts" for their career will be revitalized! This is also why "Flansys parents had the reserved seats at the Bowery Ballroom". They knew of the plan, and wanted to see their son one last time before he went into hiding.... Of course, this entire plan is now sunk and failed. Fans remain to a minimum. Sales are nilch. Zero coverage. Why? Because us TMBG fans are all geeks, who actually know the correct spelling of "opportunities". ~Batbrain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990516214510.49363.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: IS THE FALANSBURGH THING FOR REAL? Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 17:45:10 EDT If it were real don't you think that it would be all over the TMBG.org TMBG.com And TheyMightBeGiants.com. they would talk about this wouldn't they! Shouldn't his death be all over the Websites, Is the report real? I don't thinks so, but If it is how do we go on. It's like lossing JOHN (the other one from the beatles) all over again. -Ian P. Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock LONG "LIVE" TMBG!!!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990516220016.78137.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: sorry about the misspellings Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:00:16 EDT I know that I spelled our beloved johns name wrong out of haist.-Ian P. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <9885c88e.24709a84@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:02:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Well, TMBG is officially a Big Rock Band now. You aren't a Big Rock Band unless there's a death rumor. I guess this makes Flans as important as Paul McCartney now... (Except Paul *IS* dead! He really is! I swear to god, if you listen to "Abbey Road," and look at the art, it's all there! IT IS!) That Annoying Emar-esque Guy That No-One Knows, Much Less His Plan. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:27:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Message-ID: <19990516.183058.2878.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Perhaps our pal Joshy Buckland is subjecting us to another of his "psychology tests". Ugh, let's hope not. Either way, I'd say this is pretty damn sick right here. Derek "I like kids, but SHIT!" - JF >Whoever wrote that is a sicko. And the sad thing is, this person may actually >be (or has been) a TMBG fan, because they knew so much about them. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:10:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Message-ID: <19990516.191039.19142.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Emar-esque Dead Guy wrote: >That Annoying Emar-esque Guy That No-One Knows, Much Less His Plan. Yes! I need more annoying people on my crew! How would you feel about being the look out? You can sit in the crow's nest and throw stuff at people when we go sailing through Times Square. ever-sincere, eriKa, aw, cram it Churchey! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 17:56:06 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read Message-ID: <19990516.175617.15166.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Perhaps our pal Joshy Buckland is subjecting us to another of his >"psychology tests". hahaa... whatever happened to buckland? i wanna know who did this, just so i can award them 10 points (yea, i'm the official list point distributor) cuz well... they didn't even post it to the list and yet they still got some discussion going and it's still TMBG-related. yay! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 25 days til Fruvous, 2 months till TMBG ...and... 3 months till i move to NYC :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <88582669.2470ba48@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 20:18:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The conspiracy In a message dated 5/16/99 4:53:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Batbrain99@aol.com writes: << This is also why "Flansys parents had the reserved seats at the Bowery Ballroom". They knew of the plan, and wanted to see their son one last time before he went into hiding.... >> Weelll...super-geek that I am (rah rah ziz boom bah), TDK Mike informed me earlier today via IM that the older couple in the balcony were Robyn Goldwasser's parents...see, now you got me all curious about Linnell's family...something I'm sure he'd rather keep private. Crap. Damned if I do, and so on... Karen "I am actually suffering post-TMBG concert withdrawal, and what a crabby I am today" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com P.S. I'm sure I will be more smiley tomorrow ;-) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 16:49:49 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373F2F6D.6565A59F@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: The conspiracy Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > > I have figured out who sent the letter... it is none other than Flansy > himself! Here's the scenario... Actually I was thinking that, because it would be funny, but I think he'd know how to spell words and stuff. huh huh. the official response is: pluck pluck, ba BA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA pluck pluck, ba ba BAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA dum, dum dum dum dum dum dum, dum dum dum dum dum dum (x2) Hey! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "Oh look, there goes that talking fish again. 'Hi there!' ... Uh, I guess he didn't here me." -- "Diver Dan" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:54:38 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <373F68CE.E01BB40A@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The conspiracy Batbrain99@aol.com, using that ol' BatBrain wrote: > Linnel, and Flans in hiding, get lots of money and lots of attention. How will the money be sent to them?! By FlansEx? UPLinnellS? > Flans comes back several months later. It turns out he didnt die, but was in > a coma! Everyone cheers! More sales, more attention! As a coma experiencer, [who IMHO sees little benefit in surviving,] I would be gosh-darned jealous to death if he got more sales through it!!! ^__^ Where's my platinum album?! >Then, the comeback > concert! The comeback album! Millions will attend the concerts, cuz what if > he really dies the next time? I wouldn't screw up the first time! Oh wait.. this isn't the Hitman's Newsgroup!!! Of course, I like Flans far too much to be an assassin. ahem. > And this time, the Johns wont have the > mentality of "Getting tired of doing all the concerts" for their career > will be revitalized! Andy Kaufman: Millenium Fever. It's coming.(*) Mike "Flansie Did You Hear About This One?" Stipes (*)You wait and see! ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <83da3244.2470cd30@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 21:38:56 EDT Subject: TMBG: bootlegging and TMBG I know a lot of you are into the bootlegging of shows, and I was wondering what the best (and cheapest) taping mechanisms (specifics) and methods are, and I figured I should ask the experts. If you can help me out, email me personally (the list is a hassle after 2 years) Matt--Blame it on Pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointment." ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:35:52 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Lightening strikes twice! Message-ID: <7288-373F8088-8623@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Hello everybody! Well, some of you may remember my post not too long ago about how I found the I palindrome I e.p. at a used record store, and how excited I was about it. Well, I've gotten lucky once more. I walked into the same exact store, went over to the "T" section, and what do I see? The Guitar e.p.! Can you believe that?! It was only $3 too! I can't wait to go back and see what they've got wating for me there. Maybe the Istanbul e.p.? I'm curious as too whether or not this is one person selling 'em too this store. If not, it seems like a rather odd coincendence. Maybe my guardian TMBG angel. me, Dexburger, who's new favorite TMBG song is Moving To The Sun "They thought we were in a caravan, but we had other plans." -Moving to the Sun ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-17 ******************************