Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 18 Tuesday, 18 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Flans dead. TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne -Reply TMBG: tmbg dreams TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read TMBG: I have returned.....amazing, huh? Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! TMBG: favorite songs not played Re: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom TMBG: FLANS CLUES TMBG: "i buried flans" TMBG: Re: "i buried flans" Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Re: TMBG: favorite songs not played Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:21:35 +1000 (EST) From: Panic Subject: TMBG: Flans dead. Message-id: Of course, there is always the theory that he has been dead for quite some time now. I'm surprised you people haven't heard aboot it. Interesting. Any news of an Australian tour? If not, I might have to hurt something. Panic ********************************************** "There are some songs we could play if you cut off all of our heads. We could play them just using the brain stem, we know them that well." John Linnell ********************************************** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373FD1FF.6697CFBC@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 01:23:30 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! Well I'm very happy to see that not a single one of you thought that "Flans Dies" post was true. So many people believe everything they read on on the Net. (Especially those stupid chain letters.) I guess TMBG fans are a little smarter than most. The person that wrote the post about Flanks dying is a gutless little twerp who's only power in life is to perform these sort of pranks. A few years ago, a pathetic little freak who called himself "Coiled" used to post to the newsgroup claiming that Linnell walked on stage with a joint in his mouth and once urinated into the audience. Sadly (and unbelievably) a few people considered the possibility that it was true. Anyway, if anyone ever tracks this guy down, I volunteer to write his obit. -B O N G O P.S: I just saw Flanks at Burger King a few hours ago. He was ordering a ton of Double Whoppers with Elvis. ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 9:50:52 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Non TMBG - Foundations of Wayne -Reply Yes I do mean the Fountains of Wayne! Anyone else any views.... Richard >>> "ctyner@clemson.edu" 14/May/1999 03:23pm >>> You mean "Fountains Of Wayne". Yes, I'm a huge fan, and I highly, highly, highly recommend their albums, especially "Utopia Parkway", which is currently (at least IMO) the best album released in the past year. Yummy guitar pop...a genre that's been neglected for far too long. -Adam At 02:06 PM 5/13/99, rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: >I know it's not strictly TMBG but does anyone know anything about the >above. The 'man on the radio' was singing their praises and the tracks he >played sounded good. Any views anyone? > >Richard -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990517090833.57254.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: tmbg dreams Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:08:31 PDT hey everyone i'm actually having a recurring tmbg dream, sort of. i've woken up from this dream about 5 times recently, and it's starting to freak me out a lot. in my dream, i'm sitting on my kitchen floor, and my little brother is sitting there too. he's 5 years old, and he's got a lisp. and in my dream, he's singing shoehorn with teeth. that's all the dream is. i'm sitting on the floor with my brother and he sings shoehorn with teeth in its entirety. he's never even heard the song! analyse that one. there's no repressed anger against flans in it i don't think. and i think that that fake story about flans being killed is absolutely sick. unspeakably sick. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "i built a little empire from the blood of the exploited working class" --> "Kiss Me, Son Of God", They Might Be Giants Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456412C8F41@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:12:57 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Not to border on "insane stalking fan" territory, but... In response to Karen Riley, no those were not John Flansburgh's parents sitting in the balcony stage Linnell. Those were Robin Goldwasser's (John Flansburgh's wife and singer of "Dr. Evil") parents, who came down from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to see the show. I spoke with Robin after the 2nd show and she was telling me all this stuff about her parents. It was a little weird, but cool. Apparently, that was the first time they saw her perform on stage. They've been to TMBG shows before, but Robin only performed once on stage with TMBG, and that was when Mono Puff opened for TMBG back on 10/17/98 at the BB, so that was a 1st. Amazingly, Mr. and Mrs. Goldwasser sat through the whole show with no earplugs! That led to a long and fascinating conversation about earplugs. Also, a little weird, but cool. Of course, it took all of my effort to concentrate on what she was saying because as I was talking to her, all I could think was, "Gee, Robin sure is pretty..." She's quite a gal and Flansy sure is a lucky dog. In other news, WE SAW BABY LINNELL!! Yay! Daddy was carrying him in his arms into the BB, and little Henry has such cute big ears and a little tiny head with brown hair. He (Henry, not John) was wearing a blue and green knit baby-sized jumpsuit and a matching blue and green baby hat. Before the show, we also saw him carry little Henry out of the BB with Karen, and we all said, "Awww, look at the little baby!" It was cute, etc. This is *too long* of a post about TMBG's relatives...geez. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- P.S. Need info on the 6/20 Central Park show? E-mail me for details/directions ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990517152700.21980.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:27:00 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Worst post you'll ever read === Do not, on a rainy day, ask your child what he feels like doing, because I assure you that what he feels like doing, you won't feel like watching. --Fran Lebowitz ---Diana Kocar wrote: > > After reading that article over a few times, I'm certain it's a fake...... And the sad thing is, this person may actually > be (or has been) a TMBG fan, because they knew so much about them. This is the sickest prank ever. Shame on whoever wrote it. > When we find the person who wrote that, (s)he'll be walkin' the plank for > sure!! Arg! :) Anastasia PS- guess I've been off the list too long- I didn't know the Linnells had a baby! Well, congratulations to them. > > _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990517152612.15315.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:26:12 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: TMBG: I have returned.....amazing, huh? My listies, After a lengthy absence I have returned to the TMBG list. I can't believe the temerity of the little twit who started the whole "Flans is dead" thread. Kinda reminds me of the snotty little pranks of our buddy Coiled. Anyway, I see at least one of the Johns has embarked on parenthood. Any other news in the past year or so? Anastasia === Do not, on a rainy day, ask your child what he feels like doing, because I assure you that what he feels like doing, you won't feel like watching. --Fran Lebowitz _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37403B21.549C5F28@cnr.edu> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:52:01 -0400 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! I think I'm going to cry. yep, here it comes.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! why do other people get to see tmbg in McDonalds and see little Henry and talk to them and their spouses? why? why? why? why not me? *weeps some more, extremely bitterly* in other news.....I was at the show on Saturday too....I had an incredible amount of fun.....my friends were going insane behind me with some weird people they met before the band came out, but I just stood there calmly and talked to Deborah Levison from the Musings board, who was extremely nice :). When the band came out though, I was the one going insane, jumping around so much that I almost passed out a few times (especially since I hadn't eaten or drank anything except for one can of Pepsi all day). However, I was overjoyed to be dizzy and faint for my idols (as I cross the mythical divide into insane fandom....). I was so happy when they started with Finished With Lies, as I had just completed a very large piece of artwork for my Figure Drawing class and titled it "Finished With Lies" (that was an interesting critique, I tell you....a bunch of art majors staring slackjawed at me when I told them the title).........it seemed a very cool coincidence :) my friend Sara, who had never seen Them before but has been a fan longer than me, was very happy with the concert, as they played Ana Ng and NYC, her two favorite songs :) (they never play my favorite song, but we won't get into that....) and my other friend, who had come from Michigan to see Sara and I, was very impressed too, even though he only knew the words to Istanbul :). so, in short, I had a good time....now it's time for some good tmbg luck to fall on me :) sarah faye who loves babies and wants to see Henry for herself, dammit >:( Robert Plass wrote: > Hello exquisite living people, > > Not to border on "insane stalking fan" territory, but... > > In response to Karen Riley, no those were not John Flansburgh's parents > sitting in > the balcony stage Linnell. Those were Robin Goldwasser's (John > Flansburgh's wife > and singer of "Dr. Evil") parents, who came down from the Upper West > Side of > Manhattan to see the show. I spoke with Robin after the 2nd show and > she was > telling me all this stuff about her parents. It was a little weird, but > cool. Apparently, > that was the first time they saw her perform on stage. They've been to > TMBG shows > before, but Robin only performed once on stage with TMBG, and that was > when > Mono Puff opened for TMBG back on 10/17/98 at the BB, so that was a 1st. > Amazingly, > Mr. and Mrs. Goldwasser sat through the whole show with no earplugs! > That led > to a long and fascinating conversation about earplugs. Also, a little > weird, but cool. > > Of course, it took all of my effort to concentrate on what she was > saying because > as I was talking to her, all I could think was, "Gee, Robin sure is > pretty..." She's > quite a gal and Flansy sure is a lucky dog. > > In other news, WE SAW BABY LINNELL!! Yay! > > Daddy was carrying him in his arms into the BB, and little Henry has > such cute big ears > and a little tiny head with brown hair. He (Henry, not John) was > wearing a blue and green > knit baby-sized jumpsuit and a matching blue and green baby hat. > > Before the show, we also saw him carry little Henry out of the BB with > Karen, and we all > said, "Awww, look at the little baby!" It was cute, etc. > > This is *too long* of a post about TMBG's relatives...geez. > > Love, > > Rob Plass > --- ----- > P.S. Need info on the 6/20 Central Park show? E-mail me for > details/directions -- "He used to be your victim now you're not the only one...." --Elvis Costello, "Accidents Will Happen" http://lindramine.cjb.net -- The Princess's Castle ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <18826207.24719e5c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:31:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! In a message dated 99-05-17 12:00:19 EDT, sstarr@cnr.edu writes: > (they never play my favorite song, but > we won't get into that....) Anyone else have that problem? I *really* want to hear/see/experience MY favorite TMBG song, but AFAIK, they played it liek, three times, in 1996 or so... (Sensurround, BTW....) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990517165111.22338.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: favorite songs not played Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:51:10 EDT Well I've been to two concerts. And well they never play what I want to hear. Personally I like (SHE WAS A) HOTEL DETECTIVE, the disco version for back to skull. But other then that songs I would like to hear, Exquiaite Dead Guy. Extra Savoir-Faire, Whistling In The Dark, They'll Need A Crane and Pet Name. They never sing what you want them to unless it is Istambel and Partical Man, Don't Forget Bird House. I hear that the songs I want to hear are played by the band at concerts that I can't make it to. Sigh... Maybe when I move to LONG ISLAND this fall I can make it to some more concerts. Actually I was In NYC, last time the band was in my town! : ( -IAN P. Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:03:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! Message-ID: <19990517.160339.17782.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" And Bongo was his name-o: >So many people believe everything they read on on the Net. (Especially those >stupid chain letters.) I guess TMBG fans are a little smarter than most. Well, we could make a chain letter saying that Flans has cancer, and with each person the letter is sent to, a dime will be donated to his recovery, and Bill Gates will give us all a thousand dollars, and our crushes will call us in fifteen minutes, and we'll all have amazing luck for the next ten years... et cetera. ever-sincere, eriKa, who says that no matter how cute Henry was, he can't be cuter than the baby I saw on the plane ride down to Florida in March, because that was the cutest baby in the entire universe with all this red hair and she kept looking over the back of the seat and she had this pretty yellow dress on, but when we started to land the pressure hurt her ears and she started to cry and why would anyone put such a cute little baby through something like that! That's like piercing the poor little things' ears! Why do people do that? It's inhumane! That's so awful to do to a baby! That's got to be some of the worst pain in their little lives up to that point, and they don't expect it at all, just being all happy and then BANG! They stick a hole it yer ear! ... uhp. I'm ranting sorry. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:09:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-May-99 Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's .. by EmarZero@aol.com > Anyone else have that problem? I *really* want to hear/see/experience MY > favorite TMBG song, but AFAIK, they played it liek, three times, in 1996 or > so... > > (Sensurround, BTW....) actually, in early 1996 they played it at pretty much every show... (and late 1995, too) I guess when they decided it would be a b-side, they stopped playing it. :( I'd like to hear my favorite song again, too, but they probably stopped playing it because too many people misunderstood what it was about (or rather what it was NOT about) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990517162007.0092ace0@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:21:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! At 04:09 PM 5/17/99, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >I'd like to hear my favorite song again, too, but they probably stopped >playing it because too many people misunderstood what it was about (or >rather what it was NOT about) Oh, come on, "Istanbul" isn't that controversial. :-) Just kidding of course. I really wish the "John and John opening for themselves" thing would've stuck, because that would've been a perfect opportunity to perform the song I think you're talking about. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:07:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's parents/Baby Linnell! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-May-99 Re: TMBG: NOT Flansburgh's .. by Adam Tyner@clemson.edu > Just kidding of course. I really wish the "John and John opening for > themselves" thing would've stuck, because that would've been a perfect > opportunity to perform the song I think you're talking about. :-) nope, it's a full band kinda thing. :) it needs a drum track. and they never made a backtrack for it because they only ever played it with a band. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:20:40 -0400 (EDT) From: "John J. Ryan" Subject: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Message-ID: Just to answer someone's question, the opening act cancelled out, so the night was 3+ hours of nothing but TMBG. And that Flans is dead post, that is the prime example of the word "flame". Think about it, the more people post of Flans being dead, the more this vagrant wins by laughing at all the nasty posts he gets in return. The best thing to do when someone obviously flames the list is to simply IGNORE it. We know what might be real, what might be lies, and what might be fake, fake, fake, fake lies. However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about Flans going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, comparing this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) * John J. Ryan * * Mason Gross School of the Arts - Rutgers University * * STELRFAN@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU * * http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~stelrfan * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3740A48A.2DC5A3F4@sevenlands.com> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:21:46 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom "John J. Ryan" wrote: > However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about Flans > going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, comparing > this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and > album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and > was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) The lyrics to "Hot Cha"... CN ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:18:06 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3740B1BE.8BE7C69@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom carlyn nugent wrote: > > "John J. Ryan" wrote: > > > However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about Flans > > going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, comparing > > this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and > > album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and > > was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) > > The lyrics to "Hot Cha"... > > CN "Dead" Mike "Original Title: Flans Is A Bag Of Groceries" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518005259.43602.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: FLANS CLUES Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:52:59 EDT try a few off of Severe Tire Damage. She's An Angel, First Kiss.-Ian P.S. The clues are there and MRS. Flans might have something to do with it all. Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock In TMBG We Trust _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:51:39 -0400 From: ELIAS Subject: TMBG: "i buried flans" Message-id: <0FBW003VVL3KK1@oberlin.edu> > > However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about Flans > > going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, comparing > > this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and > > album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and > > was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) ah, finally, the subject of "flans is dead" has come up. it happens to be my area of expertise, as i am (or can at least pretend to be for one e-mail) a cultural historian of the unique phenomenon encountered in the music entertainment industry wherein one member of a performing group dies and the rest of the group (for one reason or another-- often a sense of attachment heightened by idolization inherent in fame, or a fear of musical rejection without the contribution of the dead member) continues, perpetuating the idea that the deceased member is in fact still alive. "flans is dead" is second in infamy in our small circle of academia only to the pinnacle of our field, the mother of all "x is dead" theory-- yes, "bob dylan is dead." unfortunately this has been receiving less attention lately as it has been pointed out that the theory is generally proposed only by people who have seen him in concert recently. this lull has allowed me to focus on my personal quest- the ultimate proof that "flans is dead". i have amassed tons of clues in the fifteen or so seconds i spent researching this post just now, so i'll put forth some of them for all you fans. the case of JF and TMBG is in fact an interesting one, because flans has been dead since well before the pink album. it in fact creates an interesting case study of john l, as he chose to rise from obscurity perpetuating the myth, when really flans has been dead since well before anyone knew of TMBG. one theorist published, in the official magazine of dead rockstar conspiracy "they're all dead!", that he believed that "they might be giants" was in fact flans' last words, prompting the name of the "band" (in fact a solo effort from the start) in honor of JF. first, and perhaps most obviously-- try to find a picture of flans on an album cover! the beatles at least had the courtesy to put up a front- having the paul imposter stand back-to-camera on sgt peppers, but john f, apparently not up to the task of forging images on EVERY album cover, has decided not to bother at all. any luck finding one? nope. the best you can do is a drawing on the pink album. hmm... suspicious, isn't it? (i realize that the discerning anti-flans is dead theorist may point out that the don't let's start ep clearly pictures flans singing on the ground, but to you i say- take a look at the HUGE question mark behind his head!!! john l was using this chance, seemingly an obvious refutation of our theory, to in fact emphasize that there may be things amiss with this supposed "john flansburgh") i will, in interest of time, only give an overview of the first (pink) album, as john l was fairly blatant, recently being faced with flans' death and all, so the album is rife with hints and holes in his cover-up. first, note john f's position on the dog- clearly reminiscent of ancient egyptian hieroglyphs. and the ancient egyptians are all dead!!! (note that his eyes are also closed! as if he were dead!) and he's riding a dog! certainly there is some culture which reveres the dog as the guide to the underworld! i don't think i need to say anything about linnell's direct reaction to flans' death. need i say anything more than "track 16"?! (other track related clues- the significant inclusion of "angel" and "number three" (clearly a reference to the holy trinity) and "32 footsteps" (the pallbearers at a funeral ALWAYS take 32 footsteps before their 33rd) "daddy'll sing bass"? of course he will, now that john f is gone!!!!!!) i've been typing for far too long, so i won't go into all of the image details of the cover, except to say- take a look at the movie theatre marquee in the background. do you see any movies listed that DON'T have to do with death! come on linnell! how foolish do you think we are? (note, "back to school" which cannot really be called a film with many "death" themes, is listed last, and the title is cut short! just like john f's life!) note, it has also been theorized (by theorized i mean, of course, randomly though up by me just now), though i've never tested it, that the dial-a-song number clearly displayed in the album art, if dialed backwards, will be answered by a mysterious voice saying "this call cannot be completed as dialed"!!!! just as flans' life was not completed!!! ok folks. i'm sorry. it's exam time and i have a LOT of work. if anyone read this far and didn't realize that i was joking, well, i was joking. probably a similar feeling as when you watched to the end of spinal tap and found out they were not a real band. anyhow, tune in next week for "'john henry' eh? there obviously isn't room for THREE johns in one band. which tells me one of the others isn't there..." ELIAS of course, cerberus!! emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo "i used to think that the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body, but then i thought... look what's telling me this!!!" -emo phillips emoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemoemo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:13:29 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3740BEB9.D46465F1@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: "i buried flans" Elias Wrote: > (other track related clues- the significant inclusion of "angel" and >"number three" (clearly a reference to the holy trinity) > anyhow, tune in next week for "'john henry' eh? there obviously isn't room > for THREE johns in one band. which tells me one of the others isn't > there..." > Not room for three johns? But you just pointed out the Trinity Factor!! The whole damn thing smacks of religiousness!! John x 3: WORLD DOMINATION! It's not Linnell and wifey's son! It's Flans and Linnell's son, and the marriage(s) are a cover up! To create the Ultimate Millenium John, the duo had to genetically merge themselves (in a LABORATORY, of course) and create a perfect John! This new John completes the circle!! He will be superior to all the rest, carrying on where the earlier two Johns could not go, yet depend on the separate! This john will grow up to be the Giant of legend! He will combat the likes of today's 'popular' music, defeat the antichrist, and lead the world to one perfect state of conciousness! Yes, THE FLANNELLIAN ERA HAS BEGUN! OH HENRY! MY KING! KISS ME, SON OF JOHN?! Mike "Melody, Fidelity, Quantity!" Leffel ---I only wish life was like that. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:17:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Message-ID: <19990517.211720.4534.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" John J. Ryan inquired: >So, comparing >this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and >album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and >was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) Kiss Me, Son of God! Flansy died and was resurrected as the new savior! He will lead all of us TMBG fans to the holy land - Cowtown! ever-sincere, eriKa, I look like Flansy so they say... "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 22:13:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-May-99 TMBG: More on the Bowery Ba.. by "John J. Ryan"@eden.rutg > Just to answer someone's question, the opening act cancelled out, so the > night was 3+ hours of nothing but TMBG. best possible opening act. :) > And that Flans is dead post, that is the prime example of the word > "flame". Think about it, the more people post of Flans being dead, the > more this vagrant wins by laughing at all the nasty posts he gets in > return. The best thing to do when someone obviously flames the list is to > simply IGNORE it. We know what might be real, what might be lies, and > what might be fake, fake, fake, fake lies. actually, the word your looking for is "troll," which is a post that invites flames. :) > However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about Flans > going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, comparing > this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs and > album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is dead and > was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) actually, they're both dead. There's the song "Dead," of course. But compare that to Whistling in the Dark: "There's only one thing that I like and that is Whistling in the Dark." "Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." Since the second line I quoted from "Dead" clearly contradicts the line in Whistling in the Dark, we can conclude the Linnell is, in fact, dead, and he hasn't whistled in the dark. There's the line in See the Constellation: "I was in the sky, all dressed in black." Which could refer to "all" in the sense of "everyone," rather than the singer (Flans) being dressed all in black. Everyone dressed in black implies mourning. The recurring themes of skulls and car crashes also seems to indicate that something happened. What it is, we can only guess. And in Metal Detector, he says "Something hidden there underneath the sand" (or some permutation of "hidden/underneath/sand and waiting/beneath/land; Linnell never remembers it either) in any case, this is obviously a reference to the fact that we bury the dead, and Linnell and Flans are, in fact, what he is referring to. The metal detector is used to find change in their pockets. or something. And, what's more, Flans is left-handed. And Paul McCartney is *also* left-handed. And we all know he's been dead for 32 years! :) It's a conspiracy, I tell you. (if you want more references, email me - I have a whole file of this :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:56:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" In a message dated 5/17/99 7:52:58 PM, elias.sardonis@oberlin.edu writes: >F. > >first, and perhaps most obviously-- try to find a picture of flans on an >album cover! the beatles at least had the courtesy to put up a front- having >the paul imposter stand back-to-camera on sgt peppers, but john f, >apparently not up to the task of forging images on EVERY album cover, has >decided not to bother at all. any luck finding one? nope. the best you >can >do is a drawing on the pink album. hmm... suspicious, isn't it? > mono puff - it's fun to steal. ha ha ha. :) now what about linnell? sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 22:01:04 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: favorite songs not played Message-id: <01JBBKDDKYLI005E78@Fox.Rollins.Edu> Actually, what really surprises me is how rarely they do play either Istambel or Partical Man. And Exquiaite Dead Guy is just too difficult to say, much less perform live. Oh, not to be a nitpicker, but I noticed an obvious typo in your post. The "disco version" is actually called simply She Was A Hotel Detective, without the parentheses. It's an easy mistake to make. Destin ---------- > From: The Band Four O'Clock > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: favorite songs not played > Date: Monday, May 17, 1999 11:51 AM > > Well I've been to two concerts. And well they never play what I want to > hear. Personally I like (SHE WAS A) HOTEL DETECTIVE, the disco version for > back to skull. But other then that songs I would like to hear, Exquiaite > Dead Guy. Extra Savoir-Faire, Whistling In The Dark, They'll Need A Crane > and Pet Name. They never sing what you want them to unless it is Istambel > and Partical Man, Don't Forget Bird House. I hear that the songs I want to > hear are played by the band at concerts that I can't make it to. Sigh... > Maybe when I move to LONG ISLAND this fall I can make it to some more > concerts. Actually I was In NYC, last time the band was in my town! : ( > -IAN P. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://members.xoom.com/destin/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-18 ******************************