Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 19 Wednesday, 19 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! TMBG: Help me wish John Linnell a happy father's day! TMBG: Info on Central Park show 6/20 (long post) Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Re: TMBG: Info on Central Park show 6/20 (long post) Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" TMBG: Mammal Re: TMBG: Mammal TMBG: They Might Be Mono Puff TMBG: Time For A Zoology Lesson.... TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! Re: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:16:02 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Message-ID: <19990518.004440.4006.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >> the opening act cancelled out, so >the >> night was 3+ hours of nothing but TMBG. > >best possible opening act. :) dis. i actually would have killed (okay not really but it's a figure of speech) to see lincoln opening for TMBG, and geezuz... if michael shelley hadn't of opened for the lads the last time i saw 'em i prolly woulda been so bored... :::ugh::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001801bea10b$b21b5340$4cc708d1@seanberg> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 04:51:59 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Bongo To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Date: Monday, May 17, 1999 4:21 AM Subject: TMBG: Flans Has Risen from the Grave! : Well I'm very happy to see that not a single one of you thought that "Flans Dies" post :was true. So many people believe everything they read on on the Net. (Especially those :stupid chain letters.) I guess TMBG fans are a little smarter than most. Actually, there was a thread about that years ago on Usenet....alt.music.tmbg. The gist of it was that Flans had died between Lincoln and Flood, and replaced by some sort of automaton. Would give new interesting meaning to "Become a Robot." : The person that wrote the post about Flanks dying is a gutless little twerp who's only :power in life is to perform these sort of pranks. A few years ago, a pathetic little freak :who called himself "Coiled" used to post to the newsgroup claiming that Linnell walked on :stage with a joint in his mouth and once urinated into the audience. Sadly (and :unbelievably) a few people considered the possibility that it was true. Anyway, if anyone :ever tracks this guy down, I volunteer to write his obit. Oh, come off it....these things happen....if you just ignore them, they will go away. The signal to noise ratio on this list is unbearable as it is. You saw that nobody bought it.....yet there were no amusing tounge-in-cheek followups. My, things change. :P.S: I just saw Flanks at Burger King a few hours ago. He was ordering a ton of Double :Whoppers with Elvis. Was Jimmy Hoffa there, too? (that's the kind of thing that I like to see!) Jack "Old Timer" aka "Bluedawg" Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Our brain over years...developed a part of the brain that demands worship and belief in life after death as a protective mechanism against the alternative, which is, of course, lights out, worms in and out, right?"--Art Bell on God http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3740FC30.1205732B@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 01:35:44 -0400 From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Help me wish John Linnell a happy father's day! June 20th is Mr. Linnell's first Father's Day, and he's donating a good portion of it to us. Not only is TMBG playing a free show that day in Central Park, they are playing a full set. Not just the standard free show of 30-45min. It's called the "Audience appreciation show", and I want to show John how much we apprciate him. Please email me a scan (.jpg or .gif) of your signiture so I can add it to a Father's Day card I will design and give to John at the show. Put "Father's Day autograph" in the subject line and name the file whatever your last name is. I want to get as many autographs from TMBG fans on the internet as I can. If you don't have access to a scanner you can mail it to me.. below is my snail-mail address. Either way, make sure you write on a white paper. Thanks in advance for your help! -Mike (tdk@tmbg.org) http://www.tmbg.net/tdk/ Mike Levy attn: autograph P.O. Box 12 Forked River, NJ 08731-0012 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456412D137C@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Info on Central Park show 6/20 (long post) Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:32:57 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Here is some info on the Central Park Show 6/20, sure to be the biggest and boldest TMBG bash of the summer! You must make every effort to attend no matter how far away you live or you'll miss out on the number one concert event of your lifetime: When the hell is the concert? Father's Day, Sunday June 20th, Doors at 1pm, TMBG at 3PM How much are tickets? It's free! No tickets! Yay! Where the hell is the concert? It's in Central Park. Go to www.centralpark.org for a map. It's held at Summerstage, which I think used to be called Rumsey Playfield. They put down some astroturf and built a stage on a high point in the Park and so now it's Summerstage, whatever. The area has limited access through several "gates" where volunteers search your bags for bottles, weapons, etc. It's a public place in NYC, so be as alert and cautious about yourself and your personal belongings as you would in any big city. There are plenty of cops around during these concerts at the check points in and out of the Summer stage area. Summerstage has an area right up front near the stage for die-hard fans and also has bleachers in the back, away from the stage. Between the front and the bleachers is an expanse of astroturf where you can bring a blanket and lie down. Off to the sides there are grass and trees in the shade. The stage area will be in bright sunshine all day, so bring a hat or sunscreen. Central Park? Won't I get stabbed repeatedly? I heard it was dangerous? HA HA Ha ha! No, that's just a silly rumor. Don't believe everything you read. Can I bring cameras or recording equipment? Take your chances. I think the bag searcher dudes are only looking for glass bottles and/or weapons. What if I get hungry or thirsty? They sell food and drink (soda and beer) at Summerstage. Who is opening? A really awesome musical act called, "The Raymond Scott Tribute Orchestra." I've seen them play before. They're really good. Get info on Raymond Scott at www.raymondscott.com. Brian Dewan plays in that orchestra and so does Will Holshouser of Hello Record Club fame. Listen for, "Powerhouse", the famous cartoon musical score used in "Rhythm Section Want Ad". How the hell do I get there? First of all, get to New York City and get onto a subway train or cab it to either the 72nd street entrance on the East side (EASIEST) or the 72nd street entrance on the West side through Strawberry Fields. Subway costs $1.50, buy tokens at the subway booth when you get there. There's lots of ways to get to Central Park, but here are some choices. Penn Station : 1 train UPTOWN to 72nd street, walk East, enter at W 72nd St, wend your way through the park Eastward to The Mall, climb the steps behind the bandshell. Penn Station: 1 train UPTOWN to Times Square, transfer to the 7 train to Grand Central, transfer to the 6 train UPTOWN to 68th Street. Walk West, enter at E 72nd St. Follow the road. You'll see the stage at the top of a hill about 100 yards into the park. Grand Central Terminal: 6 train UPTOWN to 68th Street. Walk West, enter at E 72nd St. Follow the road. You'll see the stage about 100 yards into the park at the top of a hill. Port Authority Bus Terminal: 7 train to Grand Central, transfer to the 6 train UPTOWN to 68th Street. Walk West, enter at E 72nd St. Follow the road. You'll see the stage at the top of a hill about 100 yards into the park. Port Authority Bus Terminal: 1 train UPTOWN to 72nd street, walk East, enter at W 72nd St, wend your way through the park Eastward to The Mall, climb the steps behind the bandshell. What if I'm driving? Is there any parking nearby? HA HA Ha ha! No, that's just a silly rumor. Don't believe everything you read. Seriously, though, as well all know, parking is tight in NYC. If you drive, I recommend staying on the East Side. Of course, you can't park inside Central Park, but you should be able to find street parking within 5 blocks of the 72nd Street entrance between 5th and Madison Avenues. Sunday parking regulations will be in effect, meaning almost all street parking is free. If you need driving directions, e-mail me off the list . See you there! Love, Rob Plass --- ----- P.S. Linnell's b-day is in the weekend before the concert, and he specifically said that he expects a card and a gift from each and every fan. Don't show up empty-handed. He will be 40. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518164147.17664.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:41:47 PDT ELIAS wrote: >and he's riding a dog! >certainly there is some culture which reveres the dog as the guide to >the >underworld! Yes, the dog was doomed to being the guide to the underworld after being killed by youth culture. Note that Linnell's riding the same dog, though, so maybe They're BOTH dead! There are many more references on _Lincoln_, including: The video for "Ana Ng" features a picture of JFK as a repeated image, and JFK is dead. "The purple brigade is marching from the grave" (Flans's grave, of course) "Pencil Rain" is an indication of how Flans died. He was hit in the skull by a barrage of pencils. "Stand On Your Own Head" was written for Linnell, telling him that he needed to stand on his OWN head, instead of on Flans's (which had decayed considerably by this time). Flans was a snowball in HELL. You don't generally go to Hell unless you're dead, now, do you? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Side effect or drug trip" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518164609.66176.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:46:08 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-May-99 TMBG: More on the Bowery >Ba.. by "John J. Ryan"@eden.rutg > > However, I really enjoyed the Flans is dead conspiracy story about > > >Flans > > going into hiding and coming back later. That was amusing. So, > > >comparing > > this to Paul is Dead, can anyone think of clues left in TMBG songs > > >and > > album covers that would leave us to believe that Flansburgh is > > dead >and > > was replaced by Billy Shears? (All in good fun folks) > >actually, they're both dead. There's the song "Dead," of course. >But >compare that to Whistling in the Dark: > >"There's only one thing that I like and that is Whistling in the >Dark." > >"Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want > Or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." > >Since the second line I quoted from "Dead" clearly contradicts the >line >in Whistling in the Dark, we can conclude the Linnell is, in fact, >dead, >and he hasn't whistled in the dark. Well, maybe Linnell can't whistle, so he can't do the only thing that he likes. Therefore, there's nothing he wants to do. You're all forgetting the bone-chilling message that you get when you play "Spitting Contest" backwards, though. What more proof do you need? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I'm under house arrest in the hidden track" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518164859.4460.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:48:59 PDT sarah wrote: >In a message dated 5/17/99 7:52:58 PM, elias.sardonis@oberlin.edu >writes: > > >F. > > > >first, and perhaps most obviously-- try to find a picture of flans > >on >an > >album cover! the beatles at least had the courtesy to put up a > >front- >having > >the paul imposter stand back-to-camera on sgt peppers, but john f, > >apparently not up to the task of forging images on EVERY album > >cover, >has > >decided not to bother at all. any luck finding one? nope. the > >best >you > >can > >do is a drawing on the pink album. hmm... suspicious, isn't it? > > > > >mono puff - it's fun to steal. Yes, but he's smoking TWO cigars at once! That's a clear sign of death, even more obvious than bare feet. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Feet down below his knees" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518165317.48387.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Info on Central Park show 6/20 (long post) Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:53:16 PDT Robert Plass wrote: >First of all, get to New York City and get onto a subway train or cab >it >to either >the 72nd street entrance on the East side (EASIEST) or the 72nd >street >entrance on the West side through Strawberry Fields. Subway costs >$1.50, buy tokens at the subway booth when you get there. Just hope that the fare doesn't go up to one hundred dollars, or you'll never be able to go home again. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "We're just watching it sinking" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <55c32810.2472f31f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:45:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" >There are many more references "i won't die until i'm dead", from "on the drag" sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990518191546.81523.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: Re: TMBG: More on the Bowery Ballroom Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:15:46 EDT >Kiss Me, Son of God! Flansy died and was resurrected as the new savior! >He will lead all of us TMBG fans to the holy land - Cowtown! COLUBUS OHIO ISN'T the holy land! But it is known as Cowtown.-Ian Powell Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock IN TMBG WE TRUST!!!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:13:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: "i buried flans" Message-ID: <19990518.161301.15126.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan speculated on It's Fun to Steal and Flans' obvious passing: >Yes, but he's smoking TWO cigars at once! That's a clear sign of death, >even more obvious than bare feet. That, or a lack of caring about staying alive - which leads to death. It wasn't a car wreck, it was lung cancer! Then Ian P stated: >COLUBUS OHIO ISN'T the holy land! But it is known as Cowtown. No kidding? Why wasn't I informed of this. It's a freakin' hour away from me. My own little TMBG. Damn, I wish I had a way to get to Central Park. Anyone wanna drive me? Please? ever-sincere, eriKa, Surgeon General's Warning: Cigar smoking will KILL you, John. Woo. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:05:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Mammal Message-ID: <19990518.180545.4046.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" In my biology class right now, we're studying mammals, so I of course thought of the song... and the part where the words go "Placental the sister of her brother Marsupial, their cousin called Monotreme, dead uncle Allotheria." Now, I know Placental animals are... well, pretty much everything except Marsupials (which is obviously kangaroos and things of the sort) and Monotremes (which is like duck-bill platypuses), but I've never heard of Allotheria - although the "dead uncle" part is probably a way of saying it's extinct - does anyone know what kind of animals belonged to this? Unless... the "dead uncle" is another reference to Dead Flans! ever-sincere, eriKa, I don't want to dissect a fetal pig! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:09:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Mammal Message-ID: im not the most informed.. i just wanted to be the fastest responding. ;) for some reason "giant sloth" sticks out in my head. ok ok.. lemme look it up so i dont sound like a baffoon. hm. m-w.com has let me down. anyway.. im pretty sure they were large. have a nice day --kevin xylophone solo!!!!! On Tue, 18 May 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > In my biology class right now, we're studying mammals, so I of course > thought of the song... and the part where the words go "Placental the > sister of her brother Marsupial, their cousin called Monotreme, dead > uncle Allotheria." Now, I know Placental animals are... well, pretty much > everything except Marsupials (which is obviously kangaroos and things of > the sort) and Monotremes (which is like duck-bill platypuses), but I've > never heard of Allotheria - although the "dead uncle" part is probably a > way of saying it's extinct - does anyone know what kind of animals > belonged to this? > > Unless... the "dead uncle" is another reference to Dead Flans! > > > > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > I don't want to dissect a fetal pig! > > "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be > cool." - Ben Folds > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002401bea17b$d7757100$1da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Mono Puff Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:14:45 -0700 Anyone notice how recently Mono Puffness has been leaking into They Might Be Giants? We got the Dr. Evil song sung by sister Puff and the mp3 album has Lullaby to Nightmares as sung by Joshua Fried. Now Lullabye was a Hello: the Band number but more of a desendant of Mono Puff then tmbg. My guess about the whole Dr. Evil thing is that tmbg was approached to do the song and since they wanted to it james bondish you got to have the female voice. I'm not complaining im just observing.... eRiCh ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:09:00 EDT Subject: TMBG: Time For A Zoology Lesson.... Well, I found the following on a zoology website. Notice that monotreme, marsupial, Allotheria, and placental is all mentioned here :-) CLASS Mammalia SUBCLASS Prototheria (monotremes; very unique and long isolated from other branches; lay eggs) SUBCLASS Allotheria ( extinct ; multituberculates; among the earliest mammals known; fossils span a longer time than any other group) SUBCLASS Theria INFRACLASS Trituberculata ( extinct ; common ancestor to marsupials and placentals) INFRACLASS Metatheria (marsupials) INFRACLASS Eutheria (placentals) And another website which described it thusly: Class Mammalia has three important sub-classes; Sub-class Prototheria. Sub-class Allotheria. Sub-class Theria, contains three infraclasses; Trituberculata Metatheria -the Marsupials Eutheria -the Placental mammals Here is a website which tells you everything you want to know (and more) about multituberculates (AKA Allotheria): http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/multis/multis.html And just for the record, I figured I'd send this following taxonomic run-down on we as a species: Where do we Humans fit into the scheme of things? From the top, modern humans are fully classified as; Super-kingdom Eucarya, Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Sub-phylum Vertebrata, Class Mammalia, Sub-class Theria, Infra-class Eutheria, Order Primates, Sub-order Anthropoidea, Superfamily Hominoidea, Family Hominidae, Genus Homo, Species Sapiens, Sub-species Sapiens. There will be no homework on this tonight, but anyone who presents me with a voluntary report on today's lesson will receive 10 points extra credit on their final grade for this marking period. I will be your substitute for the rest of this week. Your teacher, Mr. Linnell, is absent for Principal Flansburgh's funeral service. Tomorrow, we will be talking about spontaneous regeneration, and how our chemistry teacher, Mr. Spock, plans to recreate our beloved head administrator. My name is Mrs. Riley, but you may call me Miss Karen :-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <636ed977.24737e10@aol.com> Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:38:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! Okay... I'm SURE there are SOME of you out there who are going to see Phantom Menace tonight... those of you that do, could you PLEASE do me a favor? Rumor has it that the trailer for the next Kevin Smith film, "Dogma," is running before TPM. All I want is SOMEONE to verify this. thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 00:02:03 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! Message-id: <01JBD2VCMYE0006CIH@Fox.Rollins.Edu> Without a solid distributor for the film, it ain't bloody likely you'll be seeing a trailer. Plus, no mention of it at the official View Askew/News Askew sites. Death to all rumor mongers. Destin ---------- > From: EmarZero@aol.com > To: marvelrpg@mylist.net; MBN-OOG@onelist.com; tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! > Date: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 9:38 PM > > Okay... I'm SURE there are SOME of you out there who are going to see Phantom > Menace tonight... those of you that do, could you PLEASE do me a favor? > Rumor has it that the trailer for the next Kevin Smith film, "Dogma," is > running before TPM. All I want is SOMEONE to verify this. > > thanks. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-19 ******************************