Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 21 Friday, 21 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: Austin Powers TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Lower Your Re: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply TMBG: Father's Day show TMBG: Bar-None catalog!! TMBG rarities on the cheap! Re: TMBG: june 20 question Re: TMBG: june 20 question TMBG: LTW release date pool Re: TMBG: Father's Day show TMBG: Fairfax county fair TMBG: Fairfax county fair (and other concerts i can't attend) Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply Re: TMBG: Father's Day show Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Lower Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious WaysTo TMBG: posters Re: TMBG: posters TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? TMBG: videos Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <002101bea28c$0bd9d920$23a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:43:15 -0700 At the end of the Austin Powers 2 preview it says "featuring music from" but it does not list tmbg! DAH! don't they want people to come to the movie?? heh heh. eRiCh ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:47:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Austin Powers In a message dated 5/20/99 1:44:18 AM, cannon@amouse.net writes: >At the end of the Austin Powers 2 preview it says "featuring music from" >but > >it does not list tmbg! DAH! don't they want people to come to the movie?? most likely because tmbg aren't on the soundtrack. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:46:01 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3743BDB9.C87DC870@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Lower Your >The Great Quux wrote: > >Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? > > Just kidding. There isn't one. :) > Sure there is! ^__^ When Scarlett is collapsed and crying, she whispers out "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears!" and Burt Reynolds turns around with fire in his eyes and says "The head bone is connected to the... neck bone. The neck bone's connected to the .... thigh bone. The thigh bone's connected to the... backbone. Now fear the word of the Lord!" Then Mickey Rooney comes in, buck naked, and some of his longer pubic tendrils choke Gabby Hayes. Christian Slater punches Guy Caballero in the stomach, and all hell breaks loose, I must say. Then Montague fights Capulet. Pez flies all over the place. One monkey is sighted (red ass radar). One republican presidential nominee is released, unharmed. That is soon rectified. The Amazing Reverso pleases another crowd. Flans *should* die. So should Linnell. Mike "YOU SHUTUPPA YOU MOUTH!" Leffel ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:53:37 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply '3 trailer rule only rule'. Intrigued. More information please.... Richard who is British >>> "opercmm@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu" 19/May/1999 03:37pm >>> Nope. Not here. We had 3 trailers though one was 3 trailers spliced together obviously to satisfy the 3 trailers only rule. Austin Powers II and Titan AE were the two that I remember right now. Oh and that DiCaprio film The Beach. - Chad ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <59e08d61.247531e0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 05:37:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Father's Day show Hello 41- Well, I am excited about this show. I really want them to do children's stuff, as they've been doing roughly the same line up of songs for the past several years. Variety is the spice of life. I also encourage EVERYBODY to get there early to listen to the stylings of Brian Dewan and co. doing Raymond Scott, one of the foremost musical genuises of the century. Show idea - Last show at Bowery there were the William Allen White heads. That was fine and dandy, but for this show I say let's try something new. Someone should make masks of the "old guys" from the They'll Need A Crane video as it took place in Central Park as well. They go together see? It's a theme show see? I got dibs on the drummer, Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456412D92F4@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Bar-None catalog!! TMBG rarities on the cheap! Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:56:49 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, I noticed on the Bar-None website, www.bar-none.com, you can order some pretty hard-to-find TMBG rarities on the cheap. Check out the discography on www.tmbg.org so you can see what I'm talking about... Look for : Brian Dewan: Free Lunch 7" (a pretty yellow children's album) Brian Dewan: Tells the Story ($15 in person from Brian, only $12 on line) Mono Puff: It's fun to steal - 'nuff said ($12 CD) Otis Ball and the Chains: I'm gonna love you till I don't (CD, CS, LP), featuring John Linnell and John Flansburgh on background vocals on the song, "Walk on Water" This is a MUST for rabid TMBG collectors, and at $12 not a bad deal. $8 for the cassette. and the nifty and rare Time for a change: Bar-None Sampler #2 (CS) The cassette version of the famous Bar-None Sampler is not listed on the TMBG discography, but the CD version is. For only $4, it's a good deal (but I won't mention that I recently bought the same cassette for only $0.50 in a bargain bin). The Bar-None Sampler has not 1, not 2, but 3!! TMBG songs, a version of Brian Dewan's 99 cops, and the Otis Ball and the Chains' Walk on Water which features John Linnell and John Flansburgh on backup vocals as well as the long forgotten (to some of us!!) Ordinaires playing a version of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir. note: this is a different version of 99 Cops than you hear on Tells the Story. There's some other cool stuff on that page too, but this post is long enough. Okay. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- P.S. I don't work for Bar-None or anything, I just wanted to tell you rabid TMBG collectors how to get this stuff on the cheap. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905201410.KAA02631@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: june 20 question Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:10:42 -0400 (EDT) > LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > although it's wrong to assume, i'm assuming it's a daytime thing... or at > > least early night. didn't someone say it was "for kids!" ? i do also recall > > "bring your dad!" ... funny, my dad's the only one not going. heh. > > definitely a daytime thing. Doors open at 1PM (I think I'll try to be You mean there are giant doors that open into Central Park and they will be opening them at 1pm?! How excellent ;) But seriously, is this going to be a full set of music or just a short 30-45 minute show? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:14:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: june 20 question In a message dated 5/20/99 10:11:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, elrond@charm.net writes: << But seriously, is this going to be a full set of music or just a short 30-45 minute show? Thanks, Matt >> It's going to be a full set. Karen "Back to the garden, my friends" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 06:17:38 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3743E142.EFEEEE93@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: LTW release date pool I say May 21 because it's the start of a weekend AND I REALLY REALLY can't wait any longer!!!!! AARRRGGHHH!!!! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "Oh look, there goes that talking fish again. 'Hi there!' ... Uh, I guess he didn't hear me." -- "Diver Dan" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:56:38 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Father's Day show Message-ID: <19990520.085647.3766.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I also encourage >EVERYBODY to >get there early to listen to the stylings of Brian Dewan and co. doing > >Raymond Scott, one of the foremost musical genuises of the century. here's another idea... take some sort of a recording device and make a dub of the show. both brian's set and tmbg's. it'll be great fun... really it will. anyone can do it... and think of the memories you'll have captured! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905201531.LAA14825@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Fairfax county fair Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:31:43 -0400 (EDT) Hey TMBG is finally returning to the Fairfax County Fair this year on June 11 according to theymightbegiants.com. They've also corrected the Summerstage date on the webpage. If I remember correctly, this Fairfax fair was about $7 when they played there about 3(?) years ago. It was quite fun although there were rowdy people and the fence between us and the rather high stage was being pushed over by fans. I also remember Flans wearing shorts and seeing his incredibly muscular legs as he jumped around the stage. I also distinctly remember Linnell calling Flans "Jack Flansburgh" in a very loud and accusing voice. Oh yes, and a big ferris wheel. It is also on a Friday which is very nice. -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: TMBG: Fairfax county fair (and other concerts i can't attend) Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:36:57 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC Matt mused: > Hey TMBG is finally returning to the Fairfax County Fair this year > on June 11 according to theymightbegiants.com. They've also corrected > the Summerstage date on the webpage. If I remember correctly, this > Fairfax fair was about $7 when they played there about 3(?) years ago. > It was quite fun although there were rowdy people and the fence > between us and the rather high stage was being pushed over by fans. > I also remember Flans wearing shorts and seeing his incredibly > muscular legs as he jumped around the stage. I also distinctly remember > Linnell calling Flans "Jack Flansburgh" in a very loud and accusing > voice. Oh yes, and a big ferris wheel. > It is also on a Friday which is very nice. you don't know how much this pains me to have to read post after post about how great it is to see the johns and dans and having the sinking feeling they will never come around these parts. i don't have the means or the ability to travel north/northeast for these shows, and i'm afraid They will never visit the south again. WAAAHHH!!! kristi (okay, i'm over it, well, not really, but no one really likes a whiner, and i'm not all that fond of cheese) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37442E92.18D5C47F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:47:30 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > > '3 trailer rule only rule'. Intrigued. More information please.... > Richard who is British I read somewhere that Lucas laid down rules for the theatres for Star Wars and one of the rules was "No more than 3 trailers before the movie". Now, the first time I saw Phantom Menace, there were 3 "trailers" but they advertised 5 movies. The second time I saw it, there were maybe 5 trailers advertising 7 movies. So so much for that little rule *grin* - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37441036.32182B8A@osu.edu> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:37:59 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Father's Day show Yay! I just decided that I am going to do everything possible to be there! I'll have to make the 8-9 hour drive from Cleveland, but it'll be a blast! I can't wait! Oh, and we're going to go to the New Jersey show the night before. I figure, hey, what's another 100 miles? I like the old guy mask idea too. I'll definitely have to get busy making those. And I need to buy John Linnell a present. Diana You know you're a crazy TMBG fanatic when...um, see all of the above. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <374412EF.74C859D2@osu.edu> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:49:36 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Lower Your Mike Leffel wrote: > Flans *should* die. So should Linnell. So should Mike Leffel. To the plank, matey! Arrrr! ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905201715.NAA29040@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:15:12 -0400 (EDT) > rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > > > > '3 trailer rule only rule'. Intrigued. More information please.... > > Richard who is British > > I read somewhere that Lucas laid down rules for the theatres for Star Wars > and one of the rules was "No more than 3 trailers before the movie". Now, > the first time I saw Phantom Menace, there were 3 "trailers" but they > advertised 5 movies. The second time I saw it, there were maybe 5 trailers > advertising 7 movies. So so much for that little rule *grin* But if you attended a really excellent theatre like the Senator in Baltimore or the Uptown in DC (although I haven't been to the latter) you won't get any trailers. In fact, you won't get any other movies because there is only 1 movie screen in the cinema. You also get the nifty red curtain that opens up in front of the screen prior to viewing the movie. -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:18:24 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways Message-ID: On Thu, 20 May 1999, Diana Kocar wrote: > > Flans *should* die. So should Linnell. > > So should Mike Leffel. To the plank, matey! Arrrr! and the massacre of the jedi begins... --qui-gon jim, who saw 'menace' last night and is only now starting to feel somewhat normal again... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 5/21 -- WORDS IN TRANSIT poetry and modern dance performance, with music by the ICEBURN COLLECTIVE, reservoir park, 100 S 1300 E, SLC, open-mic at 6:30 pm, performance at 7:15 5/23 -- THE ZIVIO BALKAN BAND at the living traditions festival, SLC ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002301bea2f3$0f685140$24a6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Phantom Menace... Help! -Reply Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:00:41 -0700 I work at a theater...what it was was only eight minutes of previews allowed . we put on like 7 real short ones. eRiCh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:25:42 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious Ways To Message-ID: <19990520.152542.4438.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Leffel-esque: >Flans *should* die. So should Linnell. Diana-ish: >So should Mike Leffel. To the plank, matey! Arrrr! Good job! You have been trained well. Jim-like: >and the massacre of the jedi begins... But we don't have the neat computer graphics and aliens and stuff. I pitched the idea to Lucas to have the movie set on my pirate ship, but he said "Who the hell are you?" which is that crazy Hollywood schmoozing talk for "That's a great idea, I'll call you." But he NEVER called! These Hollywood types. They chew ya up and spit ya out. ever-sincere, eriKa, The Raisin Box Menace "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <5caed8b6.2475d2d7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:04:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? -and- Five Delicious WaysTo In a message dated 99-05-20 14:20:46 EDT, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: > > > > Flans *should* die. So should Linnell. > > > > So should Mike Leffel. To the plank, matey! Arrrr! > > and the massacre of the jedi begins... > > --qui-gon jim, who saw 'menace' last night and is only now starting to > feel somewhat normal again... I really didn't like it that much, to be honest... I won't spoil anything, but they way they set up Darth Maul as Super Bad-Ass, and then how he actually came across on the movie... well... I was dissapointed. Oh, and Jar-Jar Binks can kiss my butt. He's like a racially offensive version of Waspinator from "Beast Wars," except twice as stupid, and 1/10th as likely to kick ass. I'm gonna start a petition to have that bastard killed in the next movie. And besides, he reminds me of a giant, creepy shoe. Hooper_X, deathly afraid of the Phanboy Menace. (We got to see 2 Vaders, a Stormtrooper, and a f'n PARADE of Leias at the theater....) ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:46:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: posters an offline ("real life" sounds better, but not when you really think about it) friend of mine is in search of a tmbg poster. ...anyone know where she can aquire one? or does anyone here have an extra one in their closet from an instore or something? :) i only have one of those schnazzy yellow FS ones that in no way will i part with. so um. let me know. whatever. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:04:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: posters Message-ID: <19990520.200748.2878.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein >friend of mine is in search of a tmbg poster. ...anyone know where she >can aquire one? Gemm.com hasw a really big "Don't Let's Start" poster. It's the snowman warming up over the burning money, with German tour dates at the bottom. Check it out, it's really cool. Derek "I like kids and everything, but SHIT!" - JF ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:19:04 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? Message-id: <3744FACA.47C6@wmich.edu> > > --qui-gon jim, who saw 'menace' last night and is only now starting to > > feel somewhat normal again... > > I really didn't like it that much, to be honest... I won't spoil anything, > but they way they set up Darth Maul as Super Bad-Ass, and then how he > actually came across on the movie... well... I was dissapointed. Sure, his part wasn't very big... but he was an inceredible fighter.... especially when it was just him and Obi-Wan... dude, that scene kicked some major arse > > Oh, and Jar-Jar Binks can kiss my butt. He's like a racially offensive > version of Waspinator from "Beast Wars," except twice as stupid, and 1/10th > as likely to kick ass. I'm gonna start a petition to have that bastard > killed in the next movie. And besides, he reminds me of a giant, creepy shoe. Give 'em a break. he was the comic relief. And something for all the wee-ones out there to enjoy. However, I did not like how every inch of his body moved all the time. he (and other gungans) just seemed a little TOO fluid in movement, but either I got used to it after a while, else it got better. Oh, and his voice was a bit annoying...... ANYWAY If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I insist that you do. If you like the trilogy, you'll like Phantom. -- ~Sarah *Forever.... "All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have made"* >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<< AIM: MomeRath9 >>><<< mIRC: MomeRath >>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:28:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Jennivere Scagel Subject: TMBG: videos Message-ID: heya heya, so no one here believes me that They have made videos! i know they have, but i can't think of a one, so could anyone make a list or something, ey? *puppy-dog look* puh-leeze??? jenn ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not to put too fine a point on it... Jenn Scagel -TMBG =^. .^= Meow! ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 23:33:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Star Wars connection? In a message dated 99-05-20 23:16:07 EDT, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: > Oh, and his voice was a bit annoying...... Only a bit? Not only was he incomprehensible, he sounded like a stereotypical "Stepan Fetchit." "But miss Scarlett, I don' know nuthin' bout birthin' no Rebellion!" ANYWAY If > anyone hasn't seen it yet, I insist that you do. If you like the > trilogy, you'll like Phantom. Tccht. Go see "The Matrix" instead. See Phantom because it's Star Wars. See Matrix because it's GOOD. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-21 ******************************