Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 23 Sunday, 23 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-22 TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Re: TMBG: Reference Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 23:34:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-22 Message-ID: On Sat, 22 May 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Saturday 7:45 Modern English I'll stop the world and melt with you... Wow, I'd almost forgotten about those guys. Just seeing that brought back memories of skating around at Aloha Roller Palace back in my salad days (sadly, it's now defunct, and untold thousands of children will never get to experience the light-up tiki masks and Blue Raspberry Icees they used to have there... *sigh*) > Also, at 6:30 on Saturday on the World Music Stage at Capital One Way > DaVinci's Notebook Whee! Everyone go; DVN is cool. Ask them if they plan on hauling their posteriors out to California any time soon. :) > popular bands) and I was very impressed that Factory Showroom was one of > the CD's in the pic. Now how cool is that! Excessively cool! Wow... I've never seen a CD I knew in one of those pictures... --nicole the "All-skate!" wonder nerd *** "I wake up and count my senses, one two three four five. Number six is missing again..."--Eddie From Ohio Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:55:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: TMBG: Reference Message-ID: Ok, I checked the archives, and this was discussed about 3 years ago.. but you know what? I just discovered it on my own and wanted to share... I'm reading a book by Terry Pratchett called "Soul Music".. it's a novel about Discworld, an alternate universe with trolls, dwarves, humans, and lots of magic. This book introduces the magic concept of Music with Rocks In, or good ol' rock and roll. Everything Terry mentions is a take off of some rock and roll phenomenom (like.. the lead singer of the breakthrough rock band's name is originally Imp y Celyn, which translates into "Buddy Holly" for his stage name..) Anyhow, here's the reference... :) They're in the process of naming a new rock band.... "So what do you call yourselves?" "Er -- dwarfs, Mr. Dibbler," said the lead dwarf. "'Dwarfs'?" "Yes, sir." "Why?" "Because we are, Mr. Dibbler," said the lead dwarf patiently. "No, no, no. That won't do. That won't do at all. You gotta have a name with a big of" -- Dibbler waved his hands in the air -- "with a bit of Music With ROccks In ... uh. in. Not just 'Dwarfs.' You gotta be... oh, I don't know... something more interesting." "But we're /certainly/ dwarfs," said one of the dwarfs. "'We're Certainly Dwarfs,'" said Dibbler. "yes, that might work. Okay. I can book you in at the Bunch of Grapes on Thursday. And into the Free Festival, of course. Since it's free, you don't get paid, of course." "We've written this song," said the head dwarf, hopefully. "Good, good," said Dibbler, scribbling on this notepad. "It's called 'Something's Gotten Into My Beard.'" .... There we go. Anyone have a clue what "Something's Gotten Into My Beard" is referring to? Anyhow... everyone congratulate me on one of my first independent TMBG reference sightings... ;) Love, Colleen Anne ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:59:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference In a message dated 5/22/99 10:56:06 AM, colleen@mik.uky.edu writes: > > >There we go. Anyone have a clue what "Something's Gotten Into My Beard" > >is referring to? > someone keeps moving my chair + santa's beard? *sarah np. joydrop - "metasexual" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990522172214.18469.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 10:22:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference --- Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > "It's called 'Something's Gotten Into My Beard.'" > .... Yay! Another Pratchett fan. I haven't got to Soul Music yet, I'm trying to read Discworld in order and am only at Sourcery. Anyways, it sounds to me like it would fit right into Fingertips. "Something's gotten into my beard. I know that it is weird, but it might just be what I feared." (Somewhat like something grabed ahold of my hand). === |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 12:20:16 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3746D940.591ED7D4@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > > Ok, I checked the archives, and this was discussed about 3 years ago.. > but you know what? I just discovered it on my own and wanted to share... > I'm reading a book by Terry Pratchett called "Soul Music".. it's a novel I stopped reading Pratchett after the horrible horrible "Mort". What am I saying this for? I dunno. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "Oh look, there goes that talking fish again. 'Hi there!' ... Uh, I guess he didn't hear me." -- "Diver Dan" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990522204402.29476.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:44:01 PDT Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: >Ok, I checked the archives, and this was discussed about 3 years >ago.. >but you know what? I just discovered it on my own and wanted to >share... >I'm reading a book by Terry Pratchett called "Soul Music".. it's a >novel >about Discworld, an alternate universe with trolls, dwarves, humans, >and >lots of magic. This book introduces the magic concept of Music with >Rocks >In, or good ol' rock and roll. >There we go. Anyone have a clue what "Something's Gotten Into My >Beard" is >referring to? Well, here's what the Annotated Pratchett File (which can be found at the L-Space Web ) has to say about it: Terry is a fan of a fairly obscure band (in Europe at least -- in America they are a bit better known) called They Might Be Giants (he has mentioned on a.f.p. that their 'Where your Eyes don't Go' is the scariest song he's ever heard -- not that scary is a word I'd normally associate with TMBG, mind you, but then I don't know that particular song). Anyway, 'We're Certainly Dwarfs' appears to be the Discworld answer to this group, or at least to their name, and it may be amusing to know that the name was first suggested to Terry by a.f.p. reader Mike Berzonsky, during an early discussion about Discworld popular music. The song mentioned later on in the text, 'Something's gotten into my beard' is not directly traceable to They Might Be Giants, or it would have to be to the track 'Fingertips' on Apollo 18, which features the line "Something grabbed a hold of my hand". Most people figure it is simply a reference to an entirely different song: Gene Pitney's 'Something's gotten hold of my Heart'. Incidentally, the phrase "Millennium hand and shrimp" frequently appears in the Discworld books (usually said by Foul Ole Ron, but also by Unseen University's Bursar in _Lords and Ladies_). Here's what the APF has to say about it: One of the truly frequently asked questions on alt.fan.pratchett is "Where does this phrase come from?" (Foul Ole Ron also uses it, in Soul Music.) The answer concerns Terry's experiments with computer-generated texts: "It was a program called Babble, or something similar. I put in all kinds of stuff, including the menu of the Dragon House Chinese take-away because it was lying on my desk. The program attempted to make 'coherent' phrases (!) out of it all." One of the other things Terry must have fed it were the lyrics to the song 'Particle Man' by They Might Be Giants. While we're at it, in _Lords and Ladies_, Mustrum Ridcully says, "I was young and foolish then," to which Granny Weatherwax replies, "So? You're old and foolish now." There's another possible TMBG reference. >Anyhow... everyone congratulate me on one of my first independent >TMBG >reference sightings... ;) Congratulations! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "We're on a mission from Glod" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990522204642.61060.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 13:46:42 PDT The Great Quux wrote: >Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > > > > Ok, I checked the archives, and this was discussed about 3 years > > >ago.. > > but you know what? I just discovered it on my own and wanted to > > >share... > > I'm reading a book by Terry Pratchett called "Soul Music".. it's a > > >novel > > >I stopped reading Pratchett after the horrible horrible "Mort". Really? General opinion among Pratchett fans seems to be that _Mort_ was one of his best. (I know I liked it.) Did you like any of his other books? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:10:03 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37478DAB.63697A78@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference Colleen Anne McClanahan wrote: > There we go. Anyone have a clue what "Something's Gotten Into My Beard" > is referring to? Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand, perhaps? It's the same number of syllables, and for some reason sprung to my mind immediately upon reading the above line... But maybe the thought had something to do with that thing that just grabbed ahold of my hand... No matter! Bob "Caribou nibbling at the croquet hoops" SCott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-23 ******************************