Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 24 Monday, 24 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: WYEDG TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23 Re: TMBG: Reference TMBG: Japanese severe tire damage Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23 Re: NON-TMBG: Reference TMBG: Kate's signature (was Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23) OT: Pratchett, DNA (was Re: TMBG: Reference) TMBG: stab at "Staring At" lyrics TMBG: my stab at "Staring At" lyrics TMBG: Re: my stab at "Staring At" lyrics TMBG: chords Re: TMBG: chords TMBG: Re: Japanese severe tire damage Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 02:14:47 -0400 From: The Demonic Kangaroo Message-ID: <37479CD6.CC9B2D06@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: WYEDG Direct quote from John Linnell introducing Where Your Eyes Don't Go: "This song is about a nightmare that one of the members of the band had as a child." I guess They got their point across. -Mike > Terry is a fan of a fairly obscure band (in Europe at least -- in America > they are a bit better known) called They Might Be Giants (he has mentioned on > a.f.p. that their 'Where your Eyes don't Go' is the scariest song he's ever > heard -- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 14:43:12 +0100 (BST) From: Kate Kersley Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23 Message-ID: Soul Music is cool , so are the Death books. But for God's sake, READ ROBERT RANKIN!!!!!!! He is about a zillion times funnier. Kate, who is still indecisive as to her signature file.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990523151745.4381.rocketmail@web306.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 08:17:45 -0700 (PDT) From: Talcott Starr Subject: Re: TMBG: Reference --- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >I stopped reading Pratchett after the horrible > horrible "Mort". > > Really? General opinion among Pratchett fans seems > to be that _Mort_ was > one of his best. (I know I liked it.) Did you like > any of his other books? Yeah, Mort is one of my favorite Pratchett books too. Who can beat the 1 horseman and 3 pedestrians of the apocalypse? Of course I love all of the Death books. === |\_________\ | Co-Owner of ThetaSoft| | \|___ ___| | http://members.xoom.com/ThetaSoft | || | |-----------------------------------| || | "If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind" || | -Moxy Fruvous- "Fly" \|___|ALCOTT STARR _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:14:16 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: Japanese severe tire damage Message-id: <01JBJDLW9IS20063KP@Fox.Rollins.Edu> CDnow has listed a Japanese import version of severe tire damage for $32.99, featuring "two bonsu tracks" with more information to come. Assuming "bonsu"="bonus," any idea what they are? Usually, it's b-sides from the album, like the Factory Showroom with Unforgotten and SenSurround, but the Dr. Worm single only had album tracks... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990523193806.831.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23 Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:38:06 PDT Kate Kersley wrote: >Soul Music is cool , so are the Death books. > >But for God's sake, READ ROBERT RANKIN!!!!!!! >He is about a zillion times funnier. His books are difficult to find in the States, though (as are some of the Discworld books, such as _Pyramids_ and _Witches Abroad_, which I have yet to read). I don't think I've ever seen one in a bookstore. I suppose I could order from amazon.com, though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Would they want some felonious monk, or would they shout for Glod Glodsson?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990523194058.4528.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Reference Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:40:58 PDT Talcott Starr wrote: >--- Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > >I stopped reading Pratchett after the horrible > > horrible "Mort". > > > > Really? General opinion among Pratchett fans seems > > to be that _Mort_ was > > one of his best. (I know I liked it.) Did you like > > any of his other books? > Yeah, Mort is one of my favorite Pratchett books too. Who can beat >the >1 horseman and 3 pedestrians of the apocalypse? Of course I love all >of >the Death books. You're thinking of _Sourcery_, the book that featured the Apocralypse. War, Famine, and Pestilence didn't appear in _Mort_. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Get up, for morning in the cup of day hath dropped the spoon that scares the stars away" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:49:22 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37483FA2.30F3F551@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Kate's signature (was Re: tmbg-list Digest #17-23) Kate Kersley wrote: > Kate, who is still indecisive as to her signature file.... When in doubt, quote Them: "I got rid of my jackets and coats, I threw away all of my pants, I got sick of my stinking clothes, I had to get rid of them, I'm not yet considering replacing them, I'm only glad to be rid of them, and rest awhile, rest awhile...................." (okay, that's too long, but you get the idea) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- Your hands and feet are mangos, you're gonna be a genius anyway... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:46:54 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37483F0E.B1184298@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: OT: Pratchett, DNA (was Re: TMBG: Reference) Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Really? General opinion among Pratchett fans seems to be that _Mort_ was > one of his best. (I know I liked it.) Did you like any of his other books? The ending of 'Mort' really sucked, it just seemed like there could have been a much less forced and melodramatic way of ending it, and I had it in my head too but I've forgotten it by now. Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic and Equal Rites were pretty good, but I got to Pratchett via the "If you like Douglas Adams you might also like..." route maybe I was doing comparisons in my head. I mean, the Dirk Gently books KICK ASS! I think I've read all two of them about 5 times at various points... C'mon Douglas, t'hell with Hitchhiker's, it's nowhere near as good as Dirk! WRITE ANOTHER DIRK!!! NOW YOU BRITISH BIG-NOSED .. something! alright, i'll calm down. ;) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- Your hands and feet are mangos, you're gonna be a genius anyway... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 14:33:36 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37484A00.7F23148D@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: stab at "Staring At" lyrics This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------BE2BDF49D73666646FAD6987 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Anyone have better ears than me and can correct this? Or a better-sounding version that the one recorded over the phone? I wrote in to the TMBG.com Q&A section asking if this song would materialize eventually, we'll have to wait and see.... -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- Your hands and feet are mangos, you're gonna be a genius anyway... --------------BE2BDF49D73666646FAD6987 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name="staringat.txt" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="staringat.txt" the hurtful things we said are behind us in the past our pride is at an end, now we're back in love again i love the way you laugh at my failure ?????????? you love my misinterpretation of the things you say when we're walking, when we're out together jealous people watch us taking glasses and stuff (?) let them talk all they want is there something so wrong with???people?????????????? what is everyone staring at? what is everyone looking at? haven't they seen two people in love? what is everyone staring at? have i got something on my face? should i rub my hand on the side of my mouth? did i forget to wash somewhere? can you please inspect my teeth? later on, i took you to the movies everyone was laughing at the boy and a girl and they wouldn't shut up is there something so weird about ???????people??? is there something wrong with us? .. us? .. us? .. us? what is everyone staring at? what is everyone looking at? haven't they seen two people in love? what is everyone staring at? --------------BE2BDF49D73666646FAD6987-- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:51:14 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ia3lu$1cec$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: my stab at "Staring At" lyrics The Great Quux wrote in ... > Anyone have better ears than me and can correct this? I corrected what I think the lyrics are, of course, I may be wrong: > the hurtful things we said are behind us in the past > our pride is at an end, now we're back in love again i love the way you laugh at my failure of a life > you love my misinterpretation of the things you say > > when we're walking, when we're out together jealous people watch us think of gladness and stuff > let them talk all they want is there something so wrong about two people is there something wrong with love > what is everyone staring at? > what is everyone looking at? > haven't they seen two people in love? > what is everyone staring at? > have i got something on my face? > should i rub my hand on the side of my mouth? > did i forget to wash somewhere? > can you please inspect my teeth? > > later on, i took you to the movies > everyone was laughing at the boy and a girl > and they wouldn't shut up is there something so weird about two people > is there something wrong with us? .. us? .. us? .. us? (don't know about this one, maybe it's...) is there something wrong with love.... love...love > what is everyone staring at? > what is everyone looking at? > haven't they seen two people in love? > what is everyone staring at? -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 16:09:28 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37486078.2A6350F5@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: my stab at "Staring At" lyrics "Jay G." wrote: > > The Great Quux wrote in ... > > Anyone have better ears than me and can correct this? > > I corrected what I think the lyrics are, of course, I may be wrong: > jealous people watch us think of gladness and stuff now i think it's "watch us clinking glasses and stuff" which works. Thanks Jay! Now I can sing this on my pseudo-girlf's answering machine! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- Your hands and feet are mangos, you're gonna be a genius anyway... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002e01bea586$368c07e0$0da6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: chords Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:39:06 -0700 Hey all-- im looking for the chords for Statue got me high and Dr. Worm. My friend and i want to get form a band together and perform it at a hihg school talent show thing but tmbg.org does not have the chords for statue and only has the chords for the dial a song dr. worm. i need the whole song. anyone know of another source? thanks eRiCh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37488771.24977D8A@osu.edu> Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:55:47 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: chords eRiCh lamented: > i need the whole song. > anyone know of another source? Yer ears! Hahahahaha! Sorry.....just that music major side of me coming out. Really, I'd probably have to listen to the song about eighty million times before I could figure out what chords they were using... Diana ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 23:24:38 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3748D486.E7E7C07B@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Japanese severe tire damage Destin Berthelot wrote: > Assuming "bonsu"="bonus," any idea what they are? Actually, I the 'bonsu', rare tracks which grow on shapely little trees you can prune to fit on any CD, have become quite the profitable item in Japan, and now, apparently, on the import market! Catch the craze before the craze kills again! BONSU!!! AKA Bob "You sunk my battleship!" SCott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-24 ******************************