Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 28 Friday, 28 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline TMBG: she thinks she's edith head Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline TMBG: Hovering Sombrero -Reply Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts RE: TMBG: DAS.com Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply -Reply Re: TMBG: she thinks she's edith head Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Re: TMBG: she thinks she's edith head Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts TMBG: Edith Head lyrics Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: Hovering Sombrero Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts TMBG: Tomorrow?? Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Re: TMBG: Hovering Sombrero TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque TMBG: The Big Petition Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque TMBG: Re: The Big Petition TMBG: Re: The Big Petition Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque TMBG: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque TMBG: Lincoln the band TMBG: James K. Polk on TV Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:03:04 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline So I was strolling around (you Americans surf, we Brits stroll) and I went into the an official TMBG website and then on to a linked MP3 web-site where they said that TMBG will be producing "a series of performance segments for ABC's Nightline to broadcast this summer". Anyone know anything about this? Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990527105801.62269.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: she thinks she's edith head Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 03:57:57 PDT hi i need some help. i'm trying to find out something about the song "she thinks she's edith head". i took note of the website with the live version, but i haven't heard much about it before, and i have a really slow computer so it'll take me ages to download it, and i'd like to know what sort of song it is before i go and get it. like, is it fast or slow, and is it linnell or flansburgh? if anyone can give me a sort of description of the song, and maybe the lyrics, i'd appreciate that. you can e-mail me off list at DrPyser@tmbg.org or at this address, crystal_bf5@hotmail.com. thanks Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "i'm fencing off this little piece of heaven i'm polishing up my AK-47" --> "Michigan Militia", Moxy Fruvous Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 03:48:00 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374CF8B0.AD192C81@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > web-site where they said that TMBG will be producing "a series of > performance segments for ABC's Nightline to broadcast this summer". > Anyone know anything about this? Only what's up at www.theymightbegiants.com (which is a good lot, actually). -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:35:59 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Hovering Sombrero -Reply Is this same or connected with the performance segments they are meant to be recording for ABC's Nightline Primetime 'to be broadcast this Summer'? Richard. American TV? that'll be Hill Street Blues then. >>> "jish@cmu.edu" 26/May/1999 07:12pm >>> I don't know if this was posted, I apologize if it was... but www.theymightbegiants.com has been updated. Here is an interesting tidbit: and music for the ABC "Brave New World" series ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:29:30 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply Aaah. And what does it actually say at www.theymightbegiants.com.... Richard >>> "miker@stardatecomputer.com" 27/May/1999 12:55pm >>> rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > web-site where they said that TMBG will be producing "a series of > performance segments for ABC's Nightline to broadcast this summer". > Anyone know anything about this? Only what's up at www.theymightbegiants.com (which is a good lot, actually). -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905271316.JAA00418@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:16:09 -0400 (EDT) > Aaah. And what does it actually say at www.theymightbegiants.com.... > Richard > Here you go Richard: TMBG IN ABC'S "BRAVE NEW WORLD" PRIME TIME SPECIALS -SEGMENTS FEATURE BAND, DIRECTED BY FLANSBURGH Get your VCR's ready because airing through August and September, TMBG will be featured in five episodes of "Brave New World", a series of science and technology specials with Ted Koppel and Robert Krulwich. All five TMBG segments will be directed by Flansburgh. At press time the first two are complete. The first will be audience favorite "You're Older Than You've Ever Been" (also available on the "Long Tall Weekend" MP3) The clip includes time lapse photography and a great performance by the Band of Dans. The second segment, entitled "Dan vs. Cog" is a document of TMBG drummer Dan Hickey's drumming contest with a robot from MIT's artificial intelligence lab named Cog. We can't tell you who wins, but it is riveting television. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see this in Britain, though? -Matt, who'll be in Wimbledon this time next month ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:08:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts I sent out a complete schedule to all list members, but below is a smaller, edited version of the 1999 SummerStage Schedule, with some new info on the upcoming TMBG and Ben Folds Five concerts in Central Park this June: << Subj: CitySearch Newsletter: SummerStage '99 Date: 5/27/99 10:12:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time From: nycny_newsletter@citysearch.com To: MuseKJ@AOL.COM (Karen Riley) Dear SummerStage Newsletter subscribers, Welcome to the eve of our 14th SummerStage season. The poster schedule hits the streets today as an insert in Time Out New York magazine. But for those of you who may not have a chance to pick up a copy right away, we wanted to send you a copy of all the show descriptions. 1999 is certainly the most ambitious and diverse season SummerStage has presented so far, with incredible headliners, the addition of two new series (Central Park Cabaret of International Music and our dj/Electronic music series) more than 10 artists making their US or New York debuts, and the world premieres of 4 dance and performance works commissioned by SummerStage. We hope that you can all take advantage of many of our offerings. If you'd like a copy of the brochure sent to you, please send a self addressed envelope to us at: SummerStage brochure, 830 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10021. You can also check out our website at www.summerstage.org. We are still building it, adding artist pages, bios, sound files and so on, so keep checking in. Also, please let your friends know that they can receive regular email updates from us through our online newsletter which will include the latest news, program additions, changes, etc., and reminders so they don't miss the show they've been waiting for all summer. To sign up, check out our website, or until it's fully functional, log on to newyork.citysearch.com, and go to Personalize Citysearch. One program addition we'd like to announce immediately is a new benefit concert for SummerStage starring Ben Folds Five and Jude on Thursday, June 24. This show was just added, so it's not in the brochure. Please pass the word. Tickets go on sale today through Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster Online. Some of you may remember the great set Ben Folds Five did at SummerStage in 1997; we're thrilled to welcome them back. We expect that bleacher tickets for the July 1 Joni's Jazz fundraiser will go on sale tomorrow. We are only selling a limited number of bleacher and gala tickets for this special concert to guarantee yourself a seat. For general admission to the chairs/astroturf section, because this is a special fundraiser for SummerStage, we will be asking for a suggested donation of $10 (or more, of course!), at the gates on a first-come, first served basis on the night of the show. Finally, if you recently received a fundraising letter form Angelique Kidjo, Joan Osborne and Sarah McLachlan on our behalf, and your name was butchered, it's not their fault! Some of our computer files got a bit messed up, and some wrong first and last nameswere combined. Despite this, we ask you to please consider making a donation (just cross out the wrong first name and write in the correct one - and thanks to those of you who have already done so!) Individual donations are essential to helping SummerStage survive and grow, so please give what you can, so the festival can continue to become better and better. SummerStage Info Hotline: 212-360-CPSS Website: www.SummerStage.org All artists, dates and times subject to change 20 June Sunday 3:00 PM Family Jam! THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (FOR KIDS!) THE RAYMOND SCOTT TRIBUTE BAND / GESTURES DANCE ENSEMBLE Truly an All-Ages show for Father's Day! Get a history, geography and science lesson from They Mighty Be Giants' special family set featuring such classics as Particle Man and Istanbul (Not Constantinople). The Raymond Scott Tribute Band updates the powerhouse arrangements of the mastermind whose musical inventions made cartoons swing. The young dancers comprising Gestures, the pre-professional company of Harbor Conservatory of the Performing Arts, get down and Upside Down in a piece choreographed for them by the acclaimed Ronald K. Brown. 24 June Thursday 7:00 PM BEN FOLDS FIVE JUDE Benefit show for SummerStage! $25.00 advance, $30.00 day of show General Admission, limited seating ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: RE: TMBG: DAS.com Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:16:47 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC okay, i'm glad to hear someone else has this problem. i thought i was just a little slow. :) but i guess that doesn't really answer your question. On Thursday, May 27, 1999 1:14 AM, Sarah [SMTP:sarah.hurd@wmich.edu] wrote: > Does anyone else out there have problems with the dialasong website, or > is it just me. Fist off, it usually causes netscape to crash when I > first go there. Then, an you can call me an ignorant fool, but I don't > know how it works. I click on the phone and a little window pops up and > I click on that and it takes me to some irrelevent page (or so it > seems). Can anyone help me... I'm confused! > > ~Sarah > *Forever.... "All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have > made"* > >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< > <<<<<<<<< AIM: MomeRath9 >>><<< mIRC: MomeRath >>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:34:12 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: ABC Nightline -Reply -Reply As long as Russ have his video ready and waiting to add this to the next video bootleg PLEASE. Richard TMBG IN ABC'S "BRAVE NEW WORLD" PRIME TIME SPECIALS -SEGMENTS FEATURE BAND, DIRECTED BY FLANSBURGH Get your VCR's ready because airing through August and September, TMBG will be featured in five episodes of "Brave New World", a series of science and technology specials with Ted Koppel and Robert Krulwich. All five TMBG segments will be directed by Flansburgh. At press time the first two are complete. The first will be audience favorite "You're Older Than You've Ever Been" (also available on the "Long Tall Weekend" MP3) The clip includes time lapse photography and a great performance by the Band of Dans. The second segment, entitled "Dan vs. Cog" is a document of TMBG drummer Dan Hickey's drumming contest with a robot from MIT's artificial intelligence lab named Cog. We can't tell you who wins, but it is riveting television. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see this in Britain, though? -Matt, who'll be in Wimbledon this time next month ------------------------------ Message-ID: <374D5D97.38843C94@osu.edu> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:59:02 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: she thinks she's edith head This song is fast, sung by Flansburgh. Here are the lyrics, as best as I can hear them (the Helen mentioned in there has a last name which I can't make out): Back in high school I knew a girl Not too simple and not too kind We both grew up but I heard she changed From a new wave fan to another kind She thinks she's Edith Head But you might know she's not The accent in her speech She didn't have growing up She thinks she's Edith Head Or Helen.... Or some other cultural figure We don't know a lot about It's been a year since I moved away But at Christmas I come home And I saw her reflection In the window of a store She was talking to herself Not too simple and not too kind I walked on by It was complicated And it stuck in my mind Yesterday, actually, I was wondering who Edith Head was, so I looked her up. There is a nice web page about her at http://www.edithhead.com. She was a major costume designer in Hollywood, for those of you who are curious. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <374D6010.E0208EA9@osu.edu> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:09:11 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Oh man, now I want to stay in NYC another 4 days so I could see BFF too! Does anyone know if BFF will be on tour around the US this summer? Diana ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <888393c4.247ef1dc@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:07:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: she thinks she's edith head In a message dated 5/27/99 2:03:50 PM, kocar.1@osu.edu writes: >Here are the lyrics, as best as I can hear them (the Helen mentioned in >there >has a last name which I can't make out): >Or Helen.... Gurly-Brown? .. i'm not sure on the spelling, but i believe it's another woman with the same history as Edith Head.. something like her. i've heard of her before. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990527192641.46365.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:26:41 PDT Karen Riley wrote: > Get a history, geography > and science lesson from They Mighty Be Giants' special family set > featuring such classics as Particle Man and Istanbul (Not > Constantinople). They Mighty Be Giants? I'm assuming that's a typo, since the name was spelled correctly earlier in the message. How is "Particle Man" educational, though? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I can't explain it, 'cause I don't know what it is" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:29:42 -0400 (EDT) From: Colleen Anne McClanahan Subject: TMBG: Edith Head lyrics Message-ID: Helen Gurley Brown's Bio from the A&E Biography website: "Editor and writer, born in Green Forest, Arkansas, USA. Propelled to fame by her best-seller Sex and the Single Girl (1962), she became editor of the floundering Cosmopolitan magazine in 1965 and gave it a new lease on life, as what some called the woman's counterpart to Playboy magazine." :) Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990527193020.67361.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:30:20 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >How come when people hear "Holiday Album," Christmas just pops into >their heads? It didn't say Chirstmas album, so there are other >possibilities. As far as Christmas songs that could be on there: >Santa's >Beard, O Tannenbaum, Christmas Cards and maybe some others that I >can't >think of. But maybe they'll go with a Thanksgiving song and put on >Tryptophane. Or They could come out with a Presidents' Day album, and put on "James K. Polk," or maybe "Careless Santa." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Don't forget 'Careless Santa!'" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990527193312.37956.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hovering Sombrero Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:33:11 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > > In a message dated 5/26/99 1:48:38 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: > > > > > And could the holiday song be "We Just Go Nuts at > > > >Christmastime?" > > > > > >nah, it's probably Careless Santa. :) > > > > spitting contest! > >Did somebody say "McDonald's? :P I did. I was answering the trivia question, "Who killed Macbeth"? My answer was incorrect, of course. They correct answer was "MacAroni." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Lay on, MacAroni! And damned be him who first sings out 'Mony Mony'!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <43f59dc3.247ef73c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:30:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts In a message dated 5/27/99 2:28:06 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >They Mighty Be Giants? I'm assuming that's a typo, since the name was > >spelled correctly earlier in the message. How is "Particle Man" >educational, though? do the things a particle can! it's as plain as day! sheesh! :) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:39:45 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Message-ID: <19990527.154054.6678.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Diana wondered: >Oh man, now I want to stay in NYC another 4 days so I could see BFF too! Does >anyone know if BFF will be on tour around the US this summer? The Five will be finished in the US shortly, and are then heading to England, Japan and Australia and won't be back until at least September. In fact, this NYC thing is totally new to me - I hadn't seen any American dates remotely close to me, and even this is still far, feh. Oh gosh, I must must must get to New York in June... I'll steal a car if I must... ever-sincere, eriKa, you making fun of me frenchie? cause that go down smooth in Badu Land honey. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004e01bea879$db4fc5a0$3aa6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Tomorrow?? Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:48:09 -0700 Will we finally see the release of the long since specualted mp3 album?? Will all our questions be abswered with all our first clicks to download?? Or will it not be released and we will have to speculate on why it wasnt released???? Tomorrow?????? eRiCh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:46:37 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: New info on TMBG/BFF SummerStage Concerts Message-ID: <19990527.154638.6678.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan (I think) implored: >How is "Particle Man" educational, though? We all get to learn about how men with funny names get in fights. ever-sincere, eriKa, who can't get to new york on her good looks and charm. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <25c3e831.247ef8dd@aol.com> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:37:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hovering Sombrero In a message dated 5/27/99 2:34:41 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >I did. I was answering the trivia question, "Who killed Macbeth"? My > >answer was incorrect, of course. They correct answer was "MacAroni." ' congratulations, you win $200 damn dollars! ~sarahlovesletterman ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:51:36 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-ID: <19990527.175136.4598.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" In the newest issue of SPIN magazine (with Axl Rose on the cover - rawk!), there's an article about Sifl & Olly in which the mag chats with Liam Lynch and Matt Crocco, in which there is a quote from Crocco: "I don't think we have any interest in being serious, doing something like They Might Be Giants or Ween." Hm. Ween... There's no point to this, I just thought I'd share. ever-sincere, eriKa, oh, please, and if anyone asks you - say you're Canadian. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:57:38 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374DBFD2.256B6EC6@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > In the newest issue of SPIN magazine (with Axl Rose on the cover - > rawk!), there's an article about Sifl & Olly in which the mag chats with > Liam Lynch and Matt Crocco, in which there is a quote from Crocco: > > "I don't think we have any interest in being serious, doing something > like They Might Be Giants or Ween." > > Hm. Ween... > > There's no point to this, I just thought I'd share. There is a point to it... A strange point of evil... Really mean, nasty, manipulative evil... Some strange force has made it that TMBG, Ween, and Sifl and Ollie will forever walk hand in hand, and I for one don't think that puppy waffle fly! AKA Bob "Seperating Ween from TMBG for reasons altogether different from his reasons for seperating oil from water" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:19:36 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-ID: On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > There is a point to it... A strange point of evil... Really mean, nasty, > manipulative evil... Some strange force has made it that TMBG, Ween, and > Sifl and Ollie will forever walk hand in hand, and I for one don't think > that puppy waffle fly! of course that puppy waffle flies... (wait for it...) (wait for it...) it's a luftwaffle! --jim kuemmerle, ducking now... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/5 -- GLADE at burt's tiki lounge, 753 S 100 E, SLC ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:14:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-ID: <19990527.192051.6694.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" B-O-B spells Bob backwards! >There is a point to it... A strange point of evil... Really mean, nasty, >manipulative evil... Are you calling me evil? I'm just the messenger here, man. Actually, I'm not even a messenger. I just quote magazines... >Some strange force has made it that TMBG, Ween, and >Sifl and Ollie will forever walk hand in hand, and I for one don't think >that puppy waffle fly! mmm... puppy waffle... yum. J-I-M spells fun! >(wait for it...) Still waiting... when will the insanity stop?! >it's a luftwaffle! mmm... luftwaffle... yum. ever-sincere, eriKa, *prostitute laundry!* Saturday, June 12th - MoJojOJo & Payst~e~Payst Productions presents The Beginning of the End - Youth Against Racism. The bands: The Energist, Prototype, Caleb's King, Jumbo 3-way, Despised by the World, Linus' Blanket (hooray!), Dave Michelson & Unison, Narcissus, Vessel, Subculture Deviants and more to be announced! Vineyard Christian Fellowship, Wickliffe Ohio, show starts at 7, 3 dollars at the door - be there or be square! For more info, e-mail Dracceb@aol.com or DrRophe@aol.com... or just ask me! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990527231434.8090.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:14:34 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: TMBG: The Big Petition Hey all! I have had a thought. Why don't we centralize the petition? Just send your responses to me and I'll do all the cutting and pasting. anything to help, 'kitty === Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it. -- George Costanza _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 18:58:23 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374DDC1F.5CF05407@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque > "I don't think we have any interest in being serious, doing something > like They Might Be Giants or Ween." Okay. I've never been in contact with 'Ween' before, and some time ago someone from 'Ween' said that TMBG was too smart or something. Something about doing drugs instead of thinking - I don't know. Anyway, the other night I found 'WAVING MY DICK IN THE WIND' and, for a lark, I listened to it. It was a live track, and the beginning was members exclaiming how they thought they just crapped their pants or something. I deleted it immediately, as I felt cell after cell in my brain commit flying scottish kamakazi rituals to relieve themselves from the undulating torture. Mike "Vibratachu!" Leffel > "The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar > Wilde > How witty! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:01:12 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374DDCC8.E91BFEB@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > > On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > > > There is a point to it... A strange point of evil... Really mean, nasty, > > manipulative evil... Some strange force has made it that TMBG, Ween, and > > Sifl and Ollie will forever walk hand in hand, and I for one don't think > > that puppy waffle fly! > > of course that puppy waffle flies... > it's a luftwaffle! > > --jim kuemmerle, ducking now... > Hey! Leggo my Nazi Occupation! Mike "With Syrup!" Leffel ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:13:06 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Re: The Big Petition Message-ID: <11321-374DDF92-3645@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Someone was talking about how it might be good idea to "centralize" the petition. I don't think we should do this. We want the word to be spread, and we aren't gonna' get anywhere if the only signatures we get are from list members. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:14:28 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <374DEDF3.6B334288@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: Re: The Big Petition Dexter, the awesome dude typed out: > Someone was talking about how it might be good idea to "centralize" the > petition. I don't think we should do this. We want the word to be > spread, and we aren't gonna' get anywhere if the only signatures we get > are from list members. Oooh, ooh, I've gotten a lot of friend peoples who sent it back to me along with the people they forwarded it to, and they aren't on the list and neither are their friends and I'm getting some people here, so there! okay, that was pointless, Laura ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:22:09 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-ID: <19990527.212323.4054.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" I said that Oscar Wilde said: >"The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde And Mike Leffel said of what I said that Oscar Wilde said: >How witty! Shut up you! I wasn't paying attention while typing. This is what it should say: "The views of Philistines on art are incalculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde Hey, wait... you're just trying to distract me so you can take over my Pokemon empire! I'll take you down, Team Leffel, just you wait and see! ever-sincere, eriKa, I don't give a twopence for the lot of it! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "The views of Mike Leffel on my quotes are incalculably silly." - Oscar Wilde ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:28:57 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374DF159.B968612@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! I was drinking Zima and getting all hip, and I thought, hey, why don't I find out more about my favorite drink!? So, I went to my girlfriends house and we did it nasty. Then I logged onto ebay and found this. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=109527010 Mike "If anyone else sends me that stupid petition in the email I will personally find you and make you cry." Leffel ---MTV BAD! KEEP TMBG OFF MTV!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 20:31:37 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374DF1F9.79760024@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > I said that Oscar Wilde said: > >"The views of Philistines are art are in calculably stupid." - Oscar > Wilde > > And Mike Leffel said of what I said that Oscar Wilde said: > >How witty! > > Shut up you! I wasn't paying attention while typing. This is what it > should say: > > "The views of Philistines on art are incalculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde > I wish I'd have said that! > Hey, wait... you're just trying to distract me so you can take over my > Pokemon empire! I'll take you down, Team Leffel, just you wait and see! > These earmuffs aren't working! > "The views of Mike Leffel on my quotes are incalculably silly." - Oscar > Wilde > How witty! Mike "I wish I'd have said that!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:21:11 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-ID: On Thu, 27 May 1999, Mike Leffel wrote: > Okay. I've never been in contact with 'Ween' before, and some time ago > someone from 'Ween' said that TMBG was too smart or something. Something > about doing drugs instead of thinking - I don't know. > > Anyway, the other night I found 'WAVING MY DICK IN THE WIND' and, > for a lark, I listened to it. It was a live track, and the beginning > was members exclaiming how they thought they just crapped their pants > or something. > > I deleted it immediately, as I felt cell after cell in my brain commit > flying scottish kamakazi rituals to relieve themselves from the > undulating torture. I wonder what would become of this poor man if he were made to listen to an entire Ween record, as I often do. Funny, when I listen to Ween, I revel in the unique, fantastical sound that is so much their own. I defy anyone to listen to The Mollusk and not suddenly become aware of the great void that this particular album manages to fill. I happen to think that Ween are about a million billion times better than most of the bands that people on this list tend to recommend. But then, hell, that's just me. MIKe www.journalx.com Most recent CD purchases: Lincoln - self titled Tuscadero - The Pink Album Suzanne Vega - 99.9 F. Degrees Howard Shore - Nobody's Fool Favourite band named Ween: Ween ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:38:18 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Message-id: <374E39DA.3447@wmich.edu> Mike Leffel said: > > Okay. I've never been in contact with 'Ween' before, and some time ago > > someone from 'Ween' said that TMBG was too smart or something. Something > > about doing drugs instead of thinking - I don't know. How unfortunate.... but then, I would never take much Ween says to heart.... I doubt they meant it > > Anyway, the other night I found 'WAVING MY DICK IN THE WIND' and, > > for a lark, I listened to it. It was a live track, and the beginning > > was members exclaiming how they thought they just crapped their pants > > or something. Now, even THAT song has its charm.... such a catchy melody. Alhough I must admit that the beigning lyrics are less than pleasant > > I deleted it immediately, as I felt cell after cell in my brain commit > > flying scottish kamakazi rituals to relieve themselves from the > > undulating torture. That sounds painful.... Then another Mike retorted > I wonder what would become of this poor man if he were made to > listen to an entire Ween record, as I often do. Funny, when I listen to > Ween, I revel in the unique, fantastical sound that is so much their own. > I defy anyone to listen to The Mollusk and not suddenly become aware of > the great void that this particular album manages to fill. I happen to > think that Ween are about a million billion times better than most of the > bands that people on this list tend to recommend. But then, hell, that's > just me. Yes, the Mollusk is wonderful.... in so many ways. And it's even tasteful! I know I'll be dancing in the show tonite with the man with eight fingers on his hand. Here's a message to all who have prematurely judged ween...... DON'T. If you should give listen, you may find pleasure in their unique musicality and intriguing lyrics. Catchy tunes and silly (tho' sometimes explicit) lyrics make Ween one of my beloved modern music groups. Give 'em a chance anyway.... they're not all bad (and have even always loved them without the assistance of drugs... although I've been told that they're better that way) Just my $0.02 -- ~Sarah *Forever.... "All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have made"* >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<< AIM: MomeRath9 >>><<< mIRC: MomeRath >>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:14:56 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: TMBG: Lincoln the band Message-ID: Just a reminder that I've got a sealed CD of Lincoln's debut album on ebay right now. To find out more, just close your eyes and say the following three times: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=109531046 It's a really great CD and of course two of the three Dans in the current version of TMBG are from Lincoln. The CD was also mixed by TMBG's Pat Dillett. Anyway, so there. MIKe www.journalx.com CD currently playing: Lincoln - self titled CD playing when the shit went down: The Sugarplastic - Bang, The Earth Is Round ------------------------------ Message-ID: <374E182A.4E9C@asan.com> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:14:34 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - The Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk on TV Hello exquisite living people, Check out C-SPAN from 8-12 EDT on Friday night - they're showing "American Presidents: Life Portraits James K. Polk." The show is 4 hours long - they've got to have an occasional musical interlude. I mean, hey, any serious James K. Polk historian MUST know of the existence of the TMBG song of the same name, right? Right? I hope they play the song during the show. In any case, it should be fine educational television for us American youth to enjoy. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528054310.88942.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:43:10 PDT Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >"The views of Philistines on art are incalculably stupid." - Oscar >Wilde Why is everyone so down on the Philistines, anyway? Just because one of their finest warriors was an idiot who was killed by a kid with a sling? >I don't give a twopence for the lot of it! But with tuppence, you can feed the birds! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Just a spoonful of sugar" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528055209.6980.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:52:08 PDT MIKe wrote: >On Thu, 27 May 1999, Mike Leffel wrote: > > > Okay. I've never been in contact with 'Ween' before, and some > > time >ago > > someone from 'Ween' said that TMBG was too smart or something. > > >Something > > about doing drugs instead of thinking - I don't know. I believe it was something along the lines of Ween saying that the Johns were "college boys" who wrote songs for those of similar intellect (people like my Tom Lehrer-lovin' self, I suppose), while Ween wrote songs containing humour that prostitutes in Georgia could get. (I'm not sure about the Georgia part, but I know there was at least one prostitute in the message.) >I defy anyone to listen to The Mollusk and not suddenly become aware >of >the great void that this particular album manages to fill. Just because there's a void doesn't mean it has to be filled. Maybe the world could do with a few more voids. (I'm not talking about Ween in particular here, since I'm not familiar with their music. I'm just talking about semantics, I guess.) > Favourite band named Ween: Ween Really? Personally, I prefer Ween Smith and the Beanie Weenies, or maybe Thomas Ween and His All-Bagpipe Orchestra. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Ha! Semantic nonsense!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-28 ******************************