Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 29 Saturday, 29 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg; ween (no longer sifl-n-olly); and a question TMBG: UGH.. ignore that one, read this one Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: UGH.. ignore that one, read this one TMBG: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album RE: TMBG: The Holiday Album TMBG: TMBG on MADTRIVIA! TMBG: TMBG on MADTRIVIA! TMBG: Bleah... Re: TMBG: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! TMBG: A sincere apology TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: A sincere apology TMBG: DFB Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware TMBG: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) Re: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: POLK helps They Might Be Giants! Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album and Dexters Regularity "Thanks, Bran!" Says Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:08:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg; ween (no longer sifl-n-olly); and a question In a message dated 5/28/99 1:53:15 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >I believe it was something along the lines of Ween saying that the Johns > >were "college boys" who wrote songs for those of similar intellect (people > >like my Tom Lehrer-lovin' self, I suppose), while Ween wrote songs >containing humour that prostitutes in Georgia could get. (I'm not sure > >about the Georgia part, but I know there was at least one prostitute in >the >message.) my, my, are you kids lazy. do i have to do everything for you? set your wayback machines to feb-oo-rary and point them to a.m.tmbg for a message from everybody's favouritist non-listie, rev. stangl... ~ >> Community: >> Forum: alt.music.tmbg >> Thread: Ween Talking Shit About They Might Be Giants >> Message 9 of 15 friends enjoy, and that's what I think They Might Be Giants do. It kind of pisses me off. I like music that the toothless fuckin' whore from Detroit can listen to and relate to. They're just not my thing at all. I would never sit down and be like 'Hey let's listen to They Might Be Giants! Wow, listen to that! I get it!'" -End remarks concerning TMBG. -Rev. Chris Stangl, goofy ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:12:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: UGH.. ignore that one, read this one i hate aol. chopping up my message like that.. mm. let's try again. In a message dated 5/28/99 1:53:15 AM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >I believe it was something along the lines of Ween saying that the Johns > >were "college boys" who wrote songs for those of similar intellect (people > >like my Tom Lehrer-lovin' self, I suppose), while Ween wrote songs >containing humour that prostitutes in Georgia could get. (I'm not sure > >about the Georgia part, but I know there was at least one prostitute in >the >message.) my, my, are you kids lazy. do i have to do everything for you? set your wayback machines to feb-oo-rary and point them to a.m.tmbg for a message from everybody's favouritist non-listie, rev. stangl... ~ >> Community: >> Forum: alt.music.tmbg >> Thread: Ween Talking Shit About They Might Be Giants >> Message 9 of 15 Ween Talking Shit About They Might Be Giants Date: 1999/02/12 Author: Christopher M. Stangl Message-ID: <374E3989.7D608F94@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque > >I defy anyone to listen to The Mollusk and not suddenly become aware >of > >the great void that this particular album manages to fill. > > Just because there's a void doesn't mean it has to be filled. Watch out! Nature's gonna be on your ass now!!! HA! > Maybe the > world could do with a few more voids. And Noids! Damn you, Pizza Demons! Mike "Hey let's listen to They Might Be Giants! Wow, listen to that! I get it!'" Leffel --Not a goofy college kid, can't say he understands *any* TMBG song, tries not to be a toothless 'fuckin'' whore. ^__^ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:38:51 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374E480B.8046F8A5@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Cap'n Ericka or some facsimile thereof wrote: > >I don't give a twopence for the lot of it! > > But with tuppence, you can feed the birds! And with tupperware, keep the birds fresh and bacteria free! Bob "Just to keep from being thrown to the wolf-birds" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:43:54 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374E493A.1E4E88B3@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > B-O-B spells Bob backwards! > >There is a point to it... A strange point of evil... Really mean, nasty, > >manipulative evil... > > Are you calling me evil? I'm just the messenger here, man. Actually, I'm > not even a messenger. I just quote magazines... Yes, you do and can forever be, Queen Victoria! :) > >Some strange force has made it that TMBG, Ween, and > >Sifl and Ollie will forever walk hand in hand, and I for one don't think > >that puppy waffle fly! > > mmm... puppy waffle... yum. Or for those of us in that backwards dimension (I think you know who you are), ".muy .. elffaw yppup ...mmm" > J-I-M spells fun! > >(wait for it...) > > Still waiting... when will the insanity stop?! Geico is the only sensible alternative! > >it's a luftwaffle! > > mmm... luftwaffle... yum. Red Baron waffles? > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > *prostitute laundry!* Toothless or otherwise, it's gotta be Tide... AKA Bob "Evil is as evil does" SCott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528083230.44240.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: UGH.. ignore that one, read this one Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 01:32:30 PDT sarah wrote: >set your >wayback machines to feb-oo-rary and point them to a.m.tmbg for a >message >from everybody's favouritist non-listie, rev. stangl... Wasn't he on the list at one point? I suppose I could check the archives, but I need to take a bath and go to bed. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I'm so very tired" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:11:09 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374E337D.FD850B39@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com I sent a message using the "send comments" button on the bottom of the theymightbegiants.com page: Subject: Children's album info? Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:28:56 -0400 From: The Great Quux Organization: Stardate Computer Systems To: danamil@mindspring.com Hello wonderful maintainers of this great news site! I, a lowly fan, come to your feet to beg forgiveness for even thinking to ask the question I am asking: are the mighty Johns still hard at work on the purported alleged so-called 'children's album'? I've been telling people about it, and these people are like going to graduate with children-type degrees, and I do not want to disappoint them oh wondrous keepers of the secrets! Thank you. :) And i got the following response: Subject: Re: Children's album info? Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:19:49 EDT From: TMBGDot@aol.com To: miker@stardatecomputer.com In a message dated 5/26/99 10:33:21 PM, you wrote: hi mike, they are still working on the children's record, and it should be coming out next year. love operator dot So it looks like they "switched" the priority of the kids and adult records. Personally I was looking forward to the kids record, but like Abe Lincoln said or allegedly said.. "You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time!" Not that a new 'adult' record wont be pleasing... :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:19:18 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374E3566.D3F12901@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! Mike Leffel wrote: > > I was drinking Zima and getting all hip, and I thought, hey, Oh my god. WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I was eating Bavarian pretzels, drinking Kaluha-in-milk, and reading "Cryptonomicon" last night too!!! Wow, what are the chances of that man? -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:17:43 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374E3507.28E6A883@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > "I don't think we have any interest in being serious, doing something > like They Might Be Giants or Ween." YAY! This quote means that someone out there is taking TMBG seriously! And like ASSUMING that the interviewer KNOWS Them as a band, and OF COURSE they're a serious band man! > There's no point to this, I just thought I'd share. The point is to SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF THEY! (thank you) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:26:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-ID: <19990528.095749.2878.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Doubtful that Tryptophane would be on there if it's a TMBG album, since Mono Puff does Trytophane. But since it's all revolving around Flansy... Derek "I like kids and everything, but SHIT!" - JF >think of. But maybe they'll go with a Thanksgiving song and put in Tryptophane. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:26:17 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: RE: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-id: <374ED1B9.6AB7@wmich.edu> Derek A Klein wrote: > > Doubtful that Tryptophane would be on there if it's a TMBG album, since > Mono Puff does Trytophane. But since it's all revolving around Flansy... Ah, and we can't forget Careless Santa (that's by Mono Puff too!) -- ~Sarah *Forever.... "All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have made"* >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<< AIM: MomeRath9 >>><<< mIRC: MomeRath >>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528153856.96470.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MADTRIVIA! Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:38:55 GMT Just finished playing my daily trivia game, and TMBG was a possible answer! Nifty, keen and all that other stuff! ;P Now, I actually dunno if TMBG /was/ the correct answer, but hey! They got mentioned! ;P The utterly wierd one... Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528154209.2910.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on MADTRIVIA! Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:42:09 GMT Hey all! I was playing my daily trivia game (http://www.madtrivia.com if you're interested) and TMBG came up as a possible answer! Nifty! I don't know if They were the /correct/ answer, but hey, They were mentioned! :P The utterly wierd one, Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528155013.58827.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: Bleah... Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:50:13 GMT Sorry for the double posting...bleah. Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528172648.6064.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:26:48 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans, Flans, WHOOPS! Too Late! === A statistic: In North America there are: 7 major movie studios and more than 1,800 daily newspapers, 11,000 magazines, 11,000 radio stations, 2,000 TV stations, 2,500 book publishers. 23 corporations own and control over 50% of the business in each medium. In some cases they have a virtual monopoly. -- Noam Chomsky ---Mike Leffel wrote: > > > I was drinking Zima and getting all hip, and I thought, hey, > why don't I find out more about my favorite drink!? So, I went to > my girlfriends house and we did it nasty. Then I logged onto > ebay and found this. Um...yeah. One of my friends had it. It has "End Of the Tour" on it. And we on the mailing list do not care about your personal life. And stop being such a jerk. Anastasia _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990528174637.9121.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:46:37 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: TMBG: A sincere apology === A statistic: In North America there are: 7 major movie studios and more than 1,800 daily newspapers, 11,000 magazines, 11,000 radio stations, 2,000 TV stations, 2,500 book publishers. 23 corporations own and control over 50% of the business in each medium. In some cases they have a virtual monopoly. -- Noam Chomsky I sent a mail to the list that was meant to go to Mike Leffel that could really be taken as me flaming him. I did not mean to send this to the list and I am truly sorry. I also apologize to Mike because I was kidding about the jerk thing. Boy, I feel stupid. And I am really sorry. Anastasia "Help me, I've got my foot stuck in my mouth" Hunt _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:00:13 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <374ed7cd.1479229@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com > So it looks like they "switched" the priority of the kids and adult >records. More likely they pushed both of them back. No big deal, as long as Linnell's State Songs LP comes out in the fall as promised. Although, it sounds like they've been working quite a bit on the songs for the next album so it's possible it'll be out in the fall as well. I'm just hoping that they return to the 18+ track format for the next record. I don't want another Factory Showroom fiasco where some of the best songs were cut from the album and are still floating in limbo to this day. I want ALL the songs RIGHT NOW! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:23:15 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374EDF13.D675486A@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Anastasia Merfed: > I sent a mail to the list that was meant to go to > Mike Leffel that could really be taken as me flaming > him. I did not mean to send this to the list and I am > truly sorry. I also apologize to Mike because I was > kidding about the jerk thing. > Boy, I feel stupid. > And I am really sorry. It's okay, Madam Tourettes! !! I don't care about your personal life either!! Quit sending me those naked photographs!! I don't even *like* that kind of thing, what with the animals and the leather and the biting and the hurting.. Nyaii!!! I eat sarcasm for breakfast! Something Quuxy said: >I've been telling people >about it, and these people are like going to graduate with children-type >degrees, and I do not want to disappoint them oh wondrous keepers of the >secrets! Thank you. :) Hee Hee! Children-Type Degrees!! ^_^ Mike "Me laffy" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:56:39 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: DFB Message-id: <374F1F27.5F77@wmich.edu> *sigh* I've fallen in love with TMBG all over again. I went out to buy a VCR today, and when I got back there was a package on my doorstep. I took it inside and opened it... Lo' and behold, it was my long awaited copy of DFB!!! And what perfect timing!!! I was/am so happy!! I've never seen any of their videos before, so it was a real treat. And it was very neat that the Tiny Toon clips were on there... *sigh* I have also re-confirmed my love for John Linnel... he's so wonderful! ~Sarah *Forever.... "All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have made"* >>>>>>>>> http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath <<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<< AIM: MomeRath9 >>><<< mIRC: MomeRath >>>>>>>>> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:38:49 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Message-ID: <19990528.163850.6742.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan Mulac I'm-So-Funky DeHoff: >Why is everyone so down on the Philistines, anyway? Just because one of >their finest warriors was an idiot who was killed by a kid with a sling? Actually, what I took that quote from was a cross-examination of Wilde during his trial for accusations of "homosexual behavior", and he was spent most of the examination vaguely insulting the questioner and any one who thought the book The Picture of Dorian Gray was "perverse." How witty! Bob I'm-Almost-As-Funky-As-Nathan Scott: >And with tupperware, keep the birds fresh and bacteria free! Listen for the patented "burp"! ever-sincere, eriKa, goin' to see Ben Folds Five in Pittsburgh, ya-freakin'-hoo! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "The views of Philistines on art are incalculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:36:30 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374F0C5E.1EB424B7@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware > Actually, what I took that quote from was a cross-examination of Wilde > during his trial for accusations of "homosexual behavior", and he was > spent most of the examination vaguely insulting the questioner and any > one who thought the book The Picture of Dorian Gray was "perverse." > > How witty! > There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and that is not being witty. > "The views of Philistines on art are incalculably stupid." - Oscar Wilde > I wish I'd have said that! Mike "There follows fifteen seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter. " Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 17:57:46 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Message-ID: <19990528.175756.6742.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike Leffel philosophized: >There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and >that is not being witty. And the third worst thing in the world is being trampled by rabid toothless whore marmosets in saddle shoes. >I wish I'd have said that! What about "Careless Santa"? ever-sincere, eriKa, it's not a purse, it's European! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <5be758af.248073a8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:33:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album In a message dated 99-05-26 17:41:51 EDT, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << How come when people hear "Holiday Album," Christmas just pops into their heads? It didn't say Chirstmas album, so there are other possibilities. As far as Christmas songs that could be on there: Santa's Beard, O Tannenbaum, Christmas Cards and maybe some others that I can't think of. But maybe they'll go with a Thanksgiving song and put on Tryptophane. >> I think they'll put out a Halloween album, with such hits as...Where Your Eyes Dont Go! Hey, its kinda freaky. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:48:08 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-ID: <19990528.184808.6742.3.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Batbrain predicted: >I think they'll put out a Halloween album, with such hits as...Where Your >Eyes Dont Go! Hey, its kinda freaky. Or maybe Window. The voice is kind of weird, maybe, like, ghostly... or Turn Around, with all the dead people coming back - same with Exquisite Dead Guy. Dead people are scary.. Dig My Grave. Or Hall of Heads, just decapitated heads can be scary. Or The Bells Are Ringing, with its disturbing tale of world conquest... or My Evil Twin, since it's, you know, evil. Methinks I have too much time to speculate over this. Wait! What about Careless Santa? ever-sincere, eriKa, ENOUGH ALREADY! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4rHm96600Ui_08Rls0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 19:09:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 28-May-99 Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album by "Cap'n eriKa rae"@juno.c > Wait! What about Careless Santa? ... > ENOUGH ALREADY! I don't think we'll ever see the end of this thread... it probably wins the prize for "longest running recurring thread on the tmbg mailing list" by a long shot. not even birthdays, short biographies, 2:1 trading, accuracy of references, are John and John dead?, are John and John gay?, did They break up?, or lactose intolerance can come close. oh yeah, I almost forgot the Careless Santa thread... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:37:33 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: <2Fls+JBdywT3Ew7$@wezland.demon.co.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years is far too long. I'm ignoring the fact that I only got into them 18 months ago. Why must my two fav bands make me wait when other bands have done two or three albums in the same time (albiet inferior). -- simon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:42:16 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374EFFA8.D1C9266B@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology "Anastasia E. Hunt" wrote: > Boy, I feel stupid. > And I am really sorry. Don't worry, you're forgiven. After all that shit you went through in Russia, man, we could forgive you anything! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 I will condense my next message here to save bandwidth: SUBJECT: A sincere apology Dear Anastasia, Sorry about the Anastasia thing, you must get that a lot. Well, have to go, see you in Church! Mike ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:45:17 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <374F005D.1B022708@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Mike Leffel philosophized: > >There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and > >that is not being witty. > > And the third worst thing in the world is being trampled by rabid > toothless whore marmosets in saddle shoes. There are two types of people in this world: those who divide the world into two types of people and.... SSHHHIIIIIIITTTT!!! DAMN!!! I forgot the rest of this!!! AAARRGGGHHH I HATE IT WHEN I DO THIS!!!!! OOOHHH I've got something really snappy really snazzy to say, and I BLOW IT!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 My next message is posted here to save bandwidth: SUBJECT: GOT IT!!! ... and those who don't!! YESS!!!! Knew i'd remember... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:06:45 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Message-ID: <19990528.210645.4414.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike "Not Leffel" Russo vented: >There are two types of people in this world: those who divide the world >into two types of people and.... SSHHHIIIIIIITTTT!!! DAMN!!! I forgot >the rest of this!!! AAARRGGGHHH I HATE IT WHEN I DO THIS!!!!! OOOHHH >I've got something really snappy really snazzy to say, and I BLOW >IT!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Hm. Maybe that's the fourth worst thing in the world. Coming soon, a new thread: Are dead lactose intolerant John and John gay and broken up but having accurate references to Careless Santa and what are their views on 2:1 trading? ever-sincere, eriKa, you can lead a horse to water and get him drunk... er sumthing. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:44:37 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ing67$51u$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) simon wrote... > I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) > and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years > is far too long. I'm ignoring the fact that I only got into them 18 > months ago. Why must my two fav bands make me wait when other bands have > done two or three albums in the same time (albiet inferior). Is the other band XTC? That was a wait of 7 years between their last an Apple Venus Vol. 1, their latest. Now that's a wait. On the STD note, I'm amazed that they managed to release anything while in between record contracts. And it wasn't one or two new tracks, there were 3 new studio tracks, as well as 2 live songs unavailable on any other release. Throw in the Planet of the Apes songs, and that's 10 new songs. Not to shabby for a live album. And don't diss the solo stuff. Mono Puff and State Songs are just as good as their TMBG material. As long as these projects don't get in the way of TMBG, then there's no problem. I don't think they are. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:11:11 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Message-ID: On Fri, 28 May 1999, simon wrote: > I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) > and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years > is far too long. I'm ignoring the fact that I only got into them 18 > months ago. Why must my two fav bands make me wait when other bands have > done two or three albums in the same time (albiet inferior). waitaminnit... factory showroom came out in '96, T:TEY came out in '97, and STD came out just last year. *and* with a new studio album due out soon, *plus* long tall weekend, *plus* all the solo stuff, and *especially* considering that they've done all this while having contractual problems with electra and/or trying to find a new label to call home... ...i'd say TMBG's treating you pretty damn well, all in all. --jim "quit yer whining and eat that nazi pastry!" kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/2 -- GLADE at the zephyr with MELISSA WARNER, 300 S & W Temple, SLC 6/5 -- GLADE at burt's tiki lounge, 753 S 100 E, SLC ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:46:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: POLK helps They Might Be Giants! Check out C-SPAN from 8-12 EDT on Friday night - they're showing "American Presidents: Life Portraits James K. Polk. "I mean, hey, any serious James K. Polk historian MUST know of the existence of the TMBG song of the same name, right? Right? Love, Rob Plass Hey there folks! I don't know if you all took Rob's advice and watch this show but if you did you would be rewarded by hearing about They. No ... unfortunately, this program didn't play the song about James K. Polk by the Giants but did discuss about They Might be Giants because of their song about this 11th president. In case you didn't catch it (Kay-) then this is what happened. Near the bitter end of this long program (hour hours long)! The formatted of the show was spice up when they decide to take phone calls. One caller mentioned about a song that he heard about....James K. Polk by They Might be Giants. Now, I don't know if this guy who called in is on this list. But, y'know,it's not everyday that you hear about They on TV ......and it wasn't even one of those music channels either! I applauded you dear sir I think that host guy will check em out! ~yeah! :D Anyway, he, the caller, talked about that this Polk song was on TMBG's album "Show Room Factory." Then he discussed how terrific this song was and how he was amazed by all the facts that were packed into this 2 min song. In the end of his conversation one of the hosts of this program asked about where he could get this song....I guess to check it out.. I hope. Woohoo! Thought I might share that with you in case you misses it (...Rob). Okay, that's about it for me! Thanks caller and thanks Rob! See you later! Everyone have a great night! Bye! :) ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:50:21 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-ID: <11318-374F63FD-11191@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Wait! What about Careless Santa? ... ENOUGH ALREADY! I don't think we'll ever see the end of this thread... it probably wins the prize for "longest running recurring thread on the tmbg mailing list" What about the Spitting Contest thing. That's just like the whole Careless Santa thing. IT keeps coming up whenever we discuss songs (mostly by Sarah). It just keeps coming back to haunt me (I was the one who started the Spitting Contest thing). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990528224645.00998b90@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:46:45 -0500 From: El Dee Bee Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album >Wait! What about Careless Santa? >... >ENOUGH ALREADY! >I don't think we'll ever see the end of this thread... it probably wins >the prize for "longest running recurring thread on the tmbg mailing >list" > >What about the Spitting Contest thing. That's just like the whole >Careless Santa thing. IT keeps coming up whenever we discuss songs >(mostly by Sarah). It just keeps coming back to haunt me (I was the one >who started the Spitting Contest thing). > The Careless Santa joke predates the Spitting Contest joke very much. Silly newbie. Now if I hear another Maxx vs. Tick thread, I'm gonna... Oh wait, wrong list Shaughn -- http://www.lucidx.com/is My egotistical webpage, links to all the webpages I don't keep in my sig. -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:01:09 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-ID: <11316-374F6685-14665@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I didn't know that. Sorry. But, now there's this issue about me being called a "newbie." strongly believe that I've risen to regular status by now. I'm definetly not a newbie anymore. Why, are very own Bob Scott once told me that he thinks I went from newbie to regular amazingly quick. I don't think he'd lie to me. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 00:31:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Message-ID: <19990529.003120.4598.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" LDB: >Silly newbie. Trix are for kids! Dexy-wexy: >I don't think he'd lie to me. No, but I would! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No, I wouldn't. I'm sorry. That was a lie. The communists made me do it.* *I'm watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time ever right now (my first Kubrick film too!). It's pretty neat, but I think Strangelove's weird face will be screwing up my dreams tonight. So this is what that "riding the bomb" idea is from. I was unaware. And by ten o'clock tomorrow, I'll be on the phone to Pittsburgh gettin me some Ben Folds Five tickets! Woo doggie! (i'm sleepy) ever-sincere, eriKa, why do you think I called you, Dimitri? just to say hi? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 23:56:55 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374F7397.65655DE@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album and Dexters Regularity "Thanks, Bran!" Says Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > I didn't know that. Sorry. But, now there's this issue about me being > called a "newbie." strongly believe that I've risen to regular status > by now. I once went to a local SUBWAY a few times a month last year. No particular reason. One night, the girl joked with me about how she knew what I was going to order, and that I had become a regular customer. Most guys would have taken that oppourtunity to hit on her, or look down her shirt while she was preparing my fixin's, but instead, I feared the comments and never returned to this day. > I'm definetly not a newbie anymore. Why, [our] very own Bob Scott > once told me that he thinks I went from newbie to regular amazingly > quick. I don't think he'd lie to me. Yes, but Bob Scott is even more of a newbie than you! And Bob Scott eats babies!! Watch out for him... he didn't gain his fortune by telling the truth, let me tell you! ^__^ Mike "It's my fault for Bob Scott" Leffel ---the fifth person I made join the list! ha! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-29 ******************************