Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 30 Sunday, 30 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album TMBG: RE: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Petition Status TMBG: My remotely TMBG dream TMBG: Re: My remotely TMBG dream TMBG: Re: My remotely TMBG dream TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Re: TMBG: Petition Status TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album and Dexters Regularity "Thanks, Bran!" Says TMBG: Re: A sincere apology TMBG: now you're older still. TMBG: I got it covered Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:39:57 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374FFC3D.C7400B89@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology "Anastasia E. Hunt" wrote: > I also apologize to Mike because I was > kidding about the jerk thing. That's not what they're saying at 'The Jerk Store!" They ran out weeks ago! > Boy, I feel stupid. > And I am really sorry. Hey, that's my line! AKA Bob "Cheecho Marx" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:46:14 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374FFDB6.34832F02@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > I didn't know that. Sorry. But, now there's this issue about me being > called a "newbie." strongly believe that I've risen to regular status > by now. I'm definetly not a newbie anymore. Why, are very own Bob Scott > once told me that he thinks I went from newbie to regular amazingly > quick. I don't think he'd lie to me. And me, I just don't think! But I digress, divert, and disintegrate. I think from the frequency of posts, and replies to his posts, Dex has become a major part of the Yellow Pages. So give him a break, gov'na! Bob "Alms? We don't need no steenking alms!" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:51:05 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <374FFED9.43D9ED66@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: RE: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > *I'm watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time ever right now (my first > Kubrick film too!). It's pretty neat, but I think Strangelove's weird > face will be screwing up my dreams tonight. So this is what that "riding > the bomb" idea is from. I was unaware. Ah! One of my areas of expertise! Of course, being a major Stanley Kubrick fan, I have stories to tell! None of them about Dr. Strangelove, but still... I love the scene with Darth Vader (well, the voice of) on the plane with the bomb... And who can forget the loveable communist-craze? Every time I think of flouridation, I can't help but think of that movie... And with Peter Sellers (IMHO, one of the best actors of the century) in 3 roles, how can one go wrong? Don't answer that... :P AKA Bob "Denver" SCott ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 07:53:43 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Petition Status Message-ID: <1426-374FFF77-6345@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Just a little update on the petition for those who didn't help out, or those who haven't had it sent back to them. But I just got it sent back to me, and it already has 46 signatures! Isn't that great?! This might actually work. Has anybody else seen positive results like this? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:35:08 -0400 Subject: TMBG: My remotely TMBG dream Message-ID: <19990529.113513.4590.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" I had this bizarre dream where I was in some hotel room fighting a pirate that looked like Dr. Strangelove (I so saw that coming...) and at some point, the radio was playing "Birds Fly" only it sounded different - like it was live or something, and in my dream thoughts, I reminded myself that I'd have to tell The List that I'd heard "Birds Fly" on the radio. Hm. In case anyone's wondering, eventually I beat the pirate - it turned into some shadow woman and I realized she was calling me by a different name, so I started yelling "You don't know me!" and she disappeared. ever-sincere, eriKa, got Ben Folds Five tickets! Hooray! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:41:09 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <37500A95.BEC0607C@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: Re: My remotely TMBG dream Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > I had this bizarre dream where I was in some hotel room fighting a pirate > that looked like Dr. Strangelove (I so saw that coming...) and at some > point, the radio was playing "Birds Fly" only it sounded different - like > it was live or something, and in my dream thoughts, I reminded myself > that I'd have to tell The List that I'd heard "Birds Fly" on the radio. > Hm. Wow, that's so weird because I just had a dream where I was in some house and I heard some TMBG song on a radio in one of the rooms. I think it might've been I Palindrome I , but I'm not sure. Well....... it wasn't "Careless Santa", though, Laura ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:45:50 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <37500BAD.32F26CCB@thebigdogs.net> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: Re: My remotely TMBG dream Oh, I also had this dream where I was in my school gym with a lot of other people, almost the whole grade, and we were rollerskating around it. My Lit teacher, who was also my lit teacher last year, and my homeroom teacher in 4th grade, started talking about this song called "She's An Angel". I thought it couldn't be the same one, but it was. She then asked if someone could bring it in the next day for school. Naturally, I was all excited, and I woke up. Yeah........, Laura ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 18:00:21 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <3750296e.4296673@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com simon wrote: >I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an >album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) >and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years >is far too long. I feel your pain my friend, but it hasn't even been 3 years since Factory Showroom came out(hell, it hasn't even been 5 years since John Henry came out). It was released on October 8, 1996. 3 years is more than a common period of time to wait inbetween albums. Especially when the band left their record label. It's pretty amazing what they've done since they left Elektra. Flansy released a new Mono Puff album, They released a "box set", a live album, a new video, and have an mp3 album coming out shortly. They are working on 2 albums right now and Linnell's solo album is right around the corner too. They've been doing more on their own than they ever did with Elektra... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:25:15 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ipaq9$12oa$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Kevin Sullivan wrote in message news:3750296e.4296673@news.mindspring.com... > simon wrote: > > >I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > >album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) > >and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years > >is far too long. > > I feel your pain my friend, but it hasn't even been 3 years since > Factory Showroom came out(hell, it hasn't even been 5 years since John > Henry came out). It was released on October 8, 1996. 3 years is more > than a common period of time to wait inbetween albums. Especially when > the band left their record label. It's pretty amazing what they've > done since they left Elektra. Flansy released a new Mono Puff album, > They released a "box set", a live album, a new video, and have an mp3 > album coming out shortly. They are working on 2 albums right now and > Linnell's solo album is right around the corner too. They've been > doing more on their own than they ever did with Elektra... plus, don't forget the constant touring, the Austin Powers song, the ABC TV spots, the Video Collection, and everything else they've been doing. As far as I can tell, this has been their busiest year, and if the next album is bumped a bit back because of it, that's fine. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990529181135.5946.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:11:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Subject: Re: TMBG: Petition Status === I don't know that's wrong with my television set. I was getting C-Span and the Home Shopping Network on the same station. I actually bought a congressman. -- Bruce Baum ---Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > > Just a little update on the petition for those who didn't help out, or > those who haven't had it sent back to them. But I just got it sent back > to me, and it already has 46 signatures! Isn't that great?! This might > actually work. Has anybody else seen positive results like this? Not quite, although Project Cuttenpaiste is a hit. > > _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 16:14:54 -0700 From: Rich Bunnell Message-ID: <375074EE.776F@ix.netcom.com> Organization: Netcom Subject: TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) Jay G. wrote: > > simon wrote... > > I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > > album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) > > and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years > > is far too long. I'm ignoring the fact that I only got into them 18 > > months ago. Why must my two fav bands make me wait when other bands have > > done two or three albums in the same time (albiet inferior). > > Is the other band XTC? That was a wait of 7 years between their last an > Apple Venus Vol. 1, their latest. Now that's a wait. Definitely worth it, though, especially since we have the second volume possibly coming by the end of the year or early next year. -- * ---------------------------------------------- Rich Bunnell or "Taoster Man"--No, it's not a typo - "I'm tired of being a wannabe league bowler! I wanna be a league bowler!" -Homer Simpson - "Take all the trouble that you can afford, at least you won't have time to be bored!" -Midnight Oil, "Power And The Passion" - http://members.xoom.com/taoster/ * ---------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:52:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Message-ID: <19990529.205202.4606.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob Scott raved: >And with Peter >Sellers (IMHO, one of the best actors of the century) in 3 roles, how can one >go wrong? Don't answer that... :P Three? Who else did he play besides Strangelove? And what the hell is George C. Scott eating the entire film?! "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!" I'm going through my father's old sci-fi movies here. This evening's selection is War of the Worlds (perhaps 2001 tomorrow...). Man, I wish I knew how to do all these special effects, they're so rad! I love how the basis of alien world take over seems to be based entirely on magnets - magnetic "legs" holding the ships up, electro-magnetic force fields, etc. No one ever stops to think when you're doing that experiment in fourth grade with the magnet bars and the iron filaments that you could destroy an entire civilization with the things. And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... ever-sincere, eriKa, NOOO!!! UNCLE MATTHEW!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 21:31:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) In a message dated 5/29/99 8:52:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << Bob Scott raved: >And with Peter >Sellers (IMHO, one of the best actors of the century) in 3 roles, how can one >go wrong? Don't answer that... :P Three? Who else did he play besides Strangelove? And what the hell is George C. Scott eating the entire film?! "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!" I'm going through my father's old sci-fi movies here. This evening's selection is War of the Worlds (perhaps 2001 tomorrow...). Man, I wish I knew how to do all these special effects, they're so rad! I love how the basis of alien world take over seems to be based entirely on magnets - magnetic "legs" holding the ships up, electro-magnetic force fields, etc. No one ever stops to think when you're doing that experiment in fourth grade with the magnet bars and the iron filaments that you could destroy an entire civilization with the things. And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... >> Peter Sellers also played the parts of British officer Captain Mandrake, who was stuck with the wackier-than-a-bedbug Commander Jack D. Ripper, as well as the US President. George C. Scott chews like a cow on that chewing gum of his throughout most of the film. (I personally think it adds to his super-macho persona.) As for films based on the book "1984"; there were two. The first one, entitled "1984," was made in 1956, and is British. It's directed by Michael Anderson, and stars Edmond O'Brien and Michael Redgrave. The second one, entitled "Nineteen Eighty-Four," was made in 1984, and is also British. It's directed by Michael Radford, and stars John Hurt and Richard Burton (Burton's final film feature). Not sure if you can obtain the first movie on video, but you might be able to find the second one. "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!" ~ ~ Commander Ripper Karen "I, too, am a Kubrick fan" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:45:05 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37505FE1.4E12A88E@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album and Dexters Regularity "Thanks, Bran!" Says Mike Leffel wrote: > I once went to a local SUBWAY a few times a month last year. No > particular reason. One night, the girl joked with me about how she > knew what I was going to order, and that I had become a regular > customer. > Most guys would have taken that oppourtunity to hit on her, or look > down her shirt while she was preparing my fixin's, but instead, I feared > the comments and never returned to this day. Are you sure you're not John Linnell? :) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:46:39 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3750603F.1D314A80@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Bob Scott wrote: > That's not what they're saying at 'The Jerk Store!" They ran out weeks > ago! I almost had a heart attack when George says "I had sex with your wife!" and the big-CEO-looking guy leans over and says "His wife's in a coma." I mean, this show is EVIL! Oh wow was that funny. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: phone_book@juno.com Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:45:22 -0400 Subject: TMBG: now you're older still. Message-ID: <19990529.224524.3782.1.phone_book@juno.com> on my way from cincinnati to gainesville, fla earlier today, i was awaiting boarding in charlotte, nc .. sitting in a chair and bored silly, across from a man and a little boy the former was jiggling on his knee. i couldn't help but overhear a portion of their conversation-- "daddy--daddy, why do people get old?" pause. "i .. i don't know. they just do." "but why?" "it just happens. you get older and older and older still, until you finally pass on." hear, hear. some time before my boarding i saw the man and child with a woman; the man kissed his little boy and walked off, leaving him with that woman. perhaps it was nothing. not only--but especially for!--the ladies, jay, who's never getting older, but did make it to florida okay. hooray for relatives with computers. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: superman75@juno.com Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:17:02 -0700 Subject: TMBG: I got it covered Message-ID: <19990530.001709.-906601.0.Superman75@juno.com> hi. i was just wondering, but was anyone who was going to be putting the long, tall weekend onto CD interested in some cover art. i'm starting to tool around with something in photoshop and will put it up on my site when i'm done. it's nothing too fancy, just a cover and a back track listing. your underking of pop trivia, adam * ------------------------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-30 ******************************