Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 31 Monday, 31 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: KROQ TMBG: Re: I got it covered TMBG: song remover TMBG: Re: song remover TMBG: Re: I got it covered TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Re: TMBG: I got it covered NON-TMBG: Fluid Ounces Re: TMBG: song remover Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Fwd: Re: TMBG: Petition Status Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware TMBG: Grand Opening Re: TMBG: Grand Opening Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: song remover TMBG: Re: I got it covered TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Re: A sincere apology TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: Grand Opening TMBG: Re: song remover Re: TMBG: Grand Opening TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: Grand Opening NON-TMBG: Bootlegging. Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Volvo commercial Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <001601beaa6a$24f45440$0ba6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: KROQ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:00:42 -0700 DAH! It seems we've lost our touch folks. We voted Linnel 9th most beautiful but we couldnt get the giants in the top 106.7 bands for kroq countdown!!! DAH! eRiCh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 02:31:30 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3750E952.EF75F447@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: I got it covered superman75@juno.com wrote: > > hi. > > i was just wondering, but was anyone who was going to be putting > the long, tall weekend onto CD interested in some cover art. I hope by this you mean "For personal enjoyment only". I would hate to see TMBG's first internet album skewered by bootlegging. Out of print stuff and live shows pass right through my morality hole, but this one tickles. As if my one message will stop the two people who'll actually do it from spreading the boot to hundreds of thousands. But who the hell am I? If it weren't for warez and cracks I wouldn't be *HALF* the man I am today! BWAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAA!! Hee Hee! If you make anything cool (I'm assuming you're either referring to jewelbox covers and/or those sticky labels) you should get on down to your local kinkos and make a bunch.. then sell them online! MWHA!!! Sigh. I wish I had the gumption to *do* things. I haven't drawn CRAP RECENTLY!! GAAAA!!! WHAT AM I DOING HERE ON THE COMPUTER?!!? The market for bootleg (or legal burned cd's I guess.. duh) CD cover art could be as huge as the WinAmp Skin phenomenon! Collect all your favorite CD Cover Art! WHeeeeee!! Eriac Rae: > No one ever stops to think when you're doing that experiment in fourth > grade with the magnet bars and the iron filaments that you could destroy > an entire civilization with the things. Or bilk gullible sons of bannies out of millions with silly little 'bracelet' scams!! MUHUHAHAHAA!! I put on this magnet bracelet and now my sciatica is gone! Praise TBN! Yea! Jay G. Rockefeller O'Brien (dec'd) >plus, don't forget the constant touring, the Austin Powers song Ooh! Ooh! Toody! Schnauzer!! I just saw my very first trailer for that movie on TV tonight.. unfortunately, the roar of PsyDuck and the constant inane chirpings of a certain nameless person (Scob Bott) prevented me from hearing the background music. I doubt they'd play that on the commercial anyway. But, they play the real, good ol' theme to Inspector Gadget on _that_ movie trailer, so can it be bad???????? (probably. Andy Dick. Possibly Cheri Oteri. No MadCat. A visually represented-by-face Dr. Claw. Evil Gadget. EVIL GADGET!! GADS! ON THE FIRST MOVIE, DO *NOT* HAVE AN EVIL DUPLICATE! ROBOT OR NOT!! ALL YOU MOVIE MAKERS TO BE, TAKE NOT! TAKE NOOOOOOTE! MEEEEEOWTH! ) (THAT'S RIGHT!) Rhymes With Quux: >Are you sure you're not John Linnell? :) No, I like to have sex with *girls*. ^__^ Mike "And that's my newbie flame comment for today! Thank you!" Leffel ---Not John Linnell, but could be Jack Hanna. What with all this monkey pee on me. ----hrm.. just to keep my butt safe from that joke about girls..---- (*) Mike Leffel periodically lies like a bastard for humours sake, and if you're not on the gnat you might miss that, get something up your nostril, and flame Mike all to hell over something that really isn't that important to your day anyway. Lots of people have done it, even someone famous once or twice. Like Sen. Lois Rengall (R), and Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's (tm). So if you've eaten too many lead paint chips, and find Mike Leffel to be offensive to your personal belief system, religion, government, septic tank, saugage vendor, street cleaner, micromachine, bugzapper, eggnog, Mount St. Helens, pap smear, blue, nipple, smokes, puppy waffle fly. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990530091320.72856.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: song remover Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 02:13:15 PDT hi everyone this is a stupid story, but i'll tell you all anyway. i got a tape of the doctor worm video recently, and i was watching it today. my twin sister was watching it too, and she hates tmbg (she's a nick cave fan). she saw the bit with the bottles, the 'song remover' and the other ones. and when i'd finished watching my video, i went away to my room, and about half an hour later, my sister came into my room. she gave me a bottle of tmbg song remover. ok, it was an old bottle filled with water, but she'd made little labels. they were insulting though, it said something like 'guaranteed to remove annoying songs'. and she had little drawings of a worm (for dr. worm) and a train (mrs. train) and a birdhouse, and there was something that said something like 'removes inane lyrics'. so now i have a bottle of song remover. it was kind of funny, even if it was mean. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ when you've played out as the world turns you don't need soaps to clean your mind every little child learns if you can't see dreams your eyes are blind --> "Fly", Moxy Fruvous Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 03:42:15 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3750EBD6.1933C9DB@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: song remover Crystal Cooper wrote: > my twin sister was watching it too, and she hates tmbg (she's a nick cave > fan). she saw the bit with the bottles, the 'song remover' and the other huh... i thought anyone who liked "red right hand" was garunteed to like Them! Well, it's just evidence that you matured faster than her. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 03:47:37 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3750ED19.FEA4453A@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: I got it covered Mike Leffel wrote: > (*) Mike Leffel periodically lies like a bastard for humours sake, and > if you're not on the gnat you might miss that, get something up your > nostril, and flame Mike all to hell over something that really isn't > that important to your day anyway. Lots of people have done it, even someone > famous once or twice. Like Sen. Lois Rengall (R), and Dave Thomas, > founder of Wendy's (tm). So if you've eaten too many lead paint chips, and find > Mike Leffel to be offensive to your personal belief system, religion, > government, septic tank, saugage vendor, street cleaner, micromachine, > bugzapper, eggnog, Mount St. Helens, pap smear, blue, nipple, smokes, puppy > waffle fly. You forgot to include an apology for including such a long disclaimer and thereby wasting precious bandwidth and storage space. Here's an example: "I, Mike Russo (aka The Great Quux), humbly apologize for quoting Mr Leffel's entire disclaimer again, thereby wasting precious bandwidth and storage space." -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:11:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Message-ID: <19990529.221135.4886.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Karen, the immeasurable mother of knowledge: >Peter Sellers also played the parts of British officer Captain Mandrake, who >was stuck with the wackier-than-a-bedbug Commander Jack D. Ripper, as well as >the US President. Wow. Well, that is indeed very convincing acting. I'm even more impressed now... >George C. Scott chews like a cow on that chewing gum of his throughout most >of the film. (I personally think it adds to his super-macho persona.) I couldn't tell if it was gum or chewing tobacco or what... he reminds me of the big jock guys at my school that are always chewing on a huge wad of gum, mouth wide open and everything. yeesh. Thanks for all the info on the 1984 movies, I will most certainly have to look into that, as I enjoyed the book quite a good deal. >"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist >indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist >conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!" ~ ~ >Commander Ripper Do you have Microsoft Encarta or something? Because this exact quote is included in the entry for Dr. Strangelove. On another, completely-unrelated-note, our dear listee jay left today for a month-long stay in Florida, flying down all by his lonesome. Let's all hope he didn't get lost in his stop over in Charlotte. ever-sincere, eriKa, I love Big Brother. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:56:01 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) In article <7ing67$51u$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." writes > And don't diss the solo stuff. Mono Puff and State Songs are just as >good as their TMBG material. Well I haven't got state songs (weren't they only available from hello?) but I did get Fun to steal and I think the only song that would match a TMBG track is Hillbilly drumber girl which is a cover anyway. -- simon ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:54:09 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com In article <7ipaq9$12oa$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." writes > >Kevin Sullivan wrote in message >news:3750296e.4296673@news.mindspring.com... >> simon wrote: >> >> >I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an >> >album (dial-a-song tracks don't count) or STD (One or two new tracks) >> >and I don't want any solo albums. I want a brand new TMBG album. 5 years >> >is far too long. >> >> I feel your pain my friend, but it hasn't even been 3 years since >> Factory Showroom came out(hell, it hasn't even been 5 years since John >> Henry came out). It was released on October 8, 1996. 3 years is more >> than a common period of time to wait inbetween albums. Especially when >> the band left their record label. It's pretty amazing what they've >> done since they left Elektra. Flansy released a new Mono Puff album, >> They released a "box set", a live album, a new video, and have an mp3 >> album coming out shortly. They are working on 2 albums right now and >> Linnell's solo album is right around the corner too. They've been >> doing more on their own than they ever did with Elektra... > >plus, don't forget the constant touring, the Austin Powers song, the ABC >TV spots, the Video Collection, and everything else they've been doing. >As far as I can tell, this has been their busiest year, and if the next >album >is bumped a bit back because of it, that's fine. > I can live without the touring since they rarely come here. The austin powers song is good but one isn't enough. I won't see the abc spots either. -- simon ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:35:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: I got it covered Message-ID: <19990530.084353.-227319.0.Cambot@juno.com> Actually, I was working on some cover art myself & I'm pretty damn proud of it right now. I don't know when it'll be done, but it's for one of those "slimline" cases (if you have any import singles from England, then you probably have one), which I just happened to have lying around (where, oh where did my cover for the =W= Buddy Holly single go?). Maybe we could put some cover suggestions for the album up on a web page & you folks getting it burnt onto CD could check out which one you wanted to use. Sound alright? cheers Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:43:52 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Fluid Ounces Message-ID: <19990530.084353.-227319.1.Cambot@juno.com> Just wondering if any of you crossover BFF / TMBG fans knew about this band. They are very good, IMHO. They kinda sound like both of the aforementioned bands, but with their own little twist. I bought their debut CD, Big Notebook for Easy Piano, a few months ago & I really like it now, except for maybe 3 of the songs ( I know it seems like a lot not to like out of 13, but they aren't even that bad, except for that one that I really don't like), but it is well worth it because the other songs on the CD are excellent. They recently released an EP & another album but for the life of me, I can't find a copy of either anywhere around here. Guess I'll have to use CDNOW. Anyhoo, go & check out FL. OZ. record label, Spongebath, at: http://www.spongebath.net Do it for the children. cheers Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:01:40 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: song remover Message-id: <01JBSYXBKZJI006YPZ@Fox.Rollins.Edu> Actually, I'd love some of that stuff. Just so I could remove songs I always skip over on my CDs, like Hearing Aid, You'll Miss Me and Pet Name... That would save me a lot of trouble. Tell your sister to put me down for a shipment. If she can make some for other bands too, let me know. ---------- > From: Crystal Cooper > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: song remover > Date: Sunday, May 30, 1999 4:13 AM > > hi everyone > this is a stupid story, but i'll tell you all anyway. > i got a tape of the doctor worm video recently, and i was watching it today. > my twin sister was watching it too, and she hates tmbg (she's a nick cave > fan). she saw the bit with the bottles, the 'song remover' and the other > ones. and when i'd finished watching my video, i went away to my room, and > about half an hour later, my sister came into my room. she gave me a bottle > of tmbg song remover. ok, it was an old bottle filled with water, but she'd > made little labels. they were insulting though, it said something like > 'guaranteed to remove annoying songs'. and she had little drawings of a worm > (for dr. worm) and a train (mrs. train) and a birdhouse, and there was > something that said something like 'removes inane lyrics'. so now i have a > bottle of song remover. it was kind of funny, even if it was mean. > > Crystal ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://members.xoom.com/destin/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <136adda9.2482a72e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 10:37:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) In a message dated 5/30/99 7:57:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: << Karen, the immeasurable mother of knowledge: >> Why Captain, I am truly flattered! But methinks my amount of knowledge could some days be measured by the teaspoon. <> Your most welcome. I liked the book myself (A lot of us decided to pick it up in 1984). Do you like to read Vonnegut by any chance? >"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist >indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist >conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!" ~ ~ >Commander Ripper <> No, but I do own the movie, and have put that particular quote into memory. My husband, Barry, has this uncanny ability to remember whole dialogues from movies he hasn't seen in a long time. Now, he's the one I envy in the memory department. Most days I can't even remember where I've put my keys. :-D Karen "Loves and Fishes" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990530150448.94995.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:04:47 PDT Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >Mike Leffel philosophized: > >There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and > >that is not being witty. > >And the third worst thing in the world is being trampled by rabid >toothless whore marmosets in saddle shoes. Are they from Georgia? Can they understand TMBG? What about Ween? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The Wonder Hamster" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Tori Amos, Boys For Pele _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990530151559.74203.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Holiday Album Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:15:58 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >I didn't know that. Sorry. But, now there's this issue about me being >called a "newbie." strongly believe that I've risen to regular >status >by now. I'm definetly not a newbie anymore. Why, are very own Bob >Scott >once told me that he thinks I went from newbie to regular amazingly >quick. I don't think he'd lie to me. Well, different people see things differently, and one man's regular could be another man's newbie. That doesn't mean that either one of them is lying. As for your particular case, you might not be a "newbie," but you're obviously newer than the "Careless Santa" thread. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Trying to taste the difference between lemon and lime" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:21:04 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Petition Status Message-ID: <11323-37516570-4207@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-2024453083-2474 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit I'm assuming Anastasia meant for this message to be sent to the list, but accidentally just sent it to me. So anyway, here 'tis... --WebTV-Mail-2024453083-2474 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Sat, 29 May 1999 11:30:08 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from web4.rocketmail.com (web4.rocketmail.com [205.180.57.78]) by mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with SMTP id LAA07844 for ; Sat, 29 May 1999 11:30:07 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <19990529182843.3994.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Received: from [205.188.197.171] by web4; Sat, 29 May 1999 11:28:43 PDT Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:28:43 -0700 (PDT) From: "Anastasia E. Hunt" Reply-To: boobookitty75@yahoo.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Petition Status To: Dexter Flansburgh MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii === I don't know that's wrong with my television set. I was getting C-Span and the Home Shopping Network on the same station. I actually bought a congressman. -- Bruce Baum Just as a reminder- if you are recieving your petitions back, send them to me for condensing, as I have volunteered to do the dirty work. 'kitty _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com --WebTV-Mail-2024453083-2474-- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 12:24:08 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly TMBGesque and Oscar Wilde and tupperware Message-ID: <19990530.122421.19302.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" me, not someone else: >And the third worst thing in the world is being trampled by rabid >toothless whore marmosets in saddle shoes. Nathan, who is someone else: >Are they from Georgia? Can they understand TMBG? What about Ween? They understand Ween so much, that's why they're trampling people. Most of them are from Georgia, but a few are from Arkansas. I saw that on When Rabid Marmosets Attack VI on Fox. TMBG confuses them, as it's too smart. TMBG seems to affect prostitute ferrets more than the whore marmosets. Just the sound of the opening bars of "Meet James Ensor" and they abandon their corners and tube tops by the thousands. It's insane! ever-sincere, eriKa, oh! oh! help! I'm a damsel in distress at the time! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:40:59 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Grand Opening Message-ID: <11317-37516A1B-20051@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, last night I got some money. And we all know what I do whenever I get any money. Go blow it on C.D.s! Anyway, last night I finally got the other Geggy Tah album (Grand Opening). I had been listening to Sacred Cow for a long time, and it had quickly became one of my favorite C.D.s in my collection. Geggy Tah are one of the lucky artists who's C.D.s I'll actually venture out to buy more of. I'm listening to it for the first time now. For those of you who have it (Bongo) I'm on track 6 (Tucked In). So far, I absolutely love it! If you ask me, it's nothing like Sacred Cow, but still very good. They raised the funk level in their music alot on this one. And also, the other member (is it Geggy or Tah? Which ever one usually doesn't sing) sings alot more on this one than on Sacred Cow. I think that so far my favorite song on here is P. Sluff. If there's anybody on here who doesn't own any C.D.s by this band...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?! Go out and buy them now! ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:50:39 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Grand Opening Message-ID: <11316-37516C5F-23474@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> WOOPS! I'm really sorry. This whole thing about Geggy Tah wasn't meant to be sent to this list. I'm sorry. I meant to send it to the TMBGofftopic list. Once again, sorry. -dex ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990530172555.1521.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:25:54 GMT >From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Reply-To: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) >Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:52:02 -0400 >And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a >movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. The ever-odd one, Julie :) --------- The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: "When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?" ---TMBG ---------- _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:08:06 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: song remover Message-ID: On Sun, 30 May 1999, Crystal Cooper wrote: > about half an hour later, my sister came into my room. she gave me a bottle > of tmbg song remover. ok, it was an old bottle filled with water, but she'd > made little labels. they were insulting though, it said something like > 'guaranteed to remove annoying songs'. and she had little drawings of a worm > (for dr. worm) and a train (mrs. train) and a birdhouse, and there was > something that said something like 'removes inane lyrics'. so now i have a > bottle of song remover. it was kind of funny, even if it was mean. Wow.. your sister puts a lot of effort into annoying you. Neat. :) Kirsten ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:02:11 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37517D23.F6E8EEE1@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: I got it covered The Great Quux wrote: > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > (*) Mike Leffel periodically lies like a bastard for humours sake, and > > if you're not on the gnat you might miss that, get something up your > > nostril, and flame Mike all to hell over something that really isn't > > that important to your day anyway. Lots of people have done it, even someone > > famous once or twice. Like Sen. Lois Rengall (R), and Dave Thomas, > > founder of Wendy's (tm). So if you've eaten too many lead paint chips, and find > > Mike Leffel to be offensive to your personal belief system, religion, > > government, septic tank, saugage vendor, street cleaner, micromachine, > bugzapper, eggnog, Mount St. Helens, pap smear, blue, nipple, smokes, puppy > waffle fly. > > You forgot to include an apology for including such a long disclaimer > and thereby wasting precious bandwidth and storage space. Here's an > example: > "I, Mike Russo (aka The Great Quux), humbly apologize for quoting Mr > Leffel's entire disclaimer again, thereby wasting precious bandwidth and > storage space." > > -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- > > "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about > set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." > --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 oh. I'm sorry. I should have included that apology. Mike "Were I cruel, I'd have attached this same message as HTML!!" Leffel ---that cruel, but not that smart. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:06:12 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37517E14.3580AD0F@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Waiting (Was: Album info.....) Simon: > but I did get Fun to steal and I think the only song that would match a > TMBG track is Hillbilly drumber girl which is a cover anyway. > Me, I'd say BSL, PF, and Creepy (if the creepy on IFTS was a remix). Mike "Gotta go PDQ to the BEF on the WSN for LS!!!" Leffel ---more fascinating than something not so fascinating. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:13:12 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37517FB8.AA8ADE7F@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > >From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" > >And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a > >movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... > > I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. > Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!!! Mike "Viridian City Red" Leffel ^__^ > The ever-odd one, > Julie :) > > --------- > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: What's that Blue thing doing here!!?? AIEEEE!!! ^_^ > "When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body > off a building?" > ---TMBG > ---------- YES! Or a well situated high school in nebraska. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:57:20 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37519820.D00CB19C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology The Great Quux wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > > That's not what they're saying at 'The Jerk Store!" They ran out weeks > > ago! > > I almost had a heart attack when George says "I had sex with your wife!" > and the big-CEO-looking guy leans over and says "His wife's in a coma." > I mean, this show is EVIL! Oh wow was that funny. Well, I've basically given up on Seinfeld. They haven't released a new episode for over a year now, and their live performances are always lacking and my feet hurt and wah wah wah! :P AKA Bob "Manure isn't such a bad word" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 20:05:41 GMT From: "Nese Eddleman" Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Who's the other one? simon wrote in message <2Fls+JBdywT3Ew7 Why must my two fav bands make me wait when other bands have >done two or three albums in the same time (albiet inferior). >-- >simon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:12:25 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37519BA9.4BE662A1@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Bob Scott raved: > >And with Peter > >Sellers (IMHO, one of the best actors of the century) in 3 roles, how > >can one > >go wrong? Don't answer that... :P > > Three? Who else did he play besides Strangelove? I know he was the colonel stuck with the paranoid guy... and in the role of the President as well... > And what the hell is > George C. Scott eating the entire film?! Gravy! I really don't know... But I do love the part where the Russian guy is taking pictures of the war room after the destruction of the world is basically emminent... > "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!" > > I'm going through my father's old sci-fi movies here. This evening's > selection is War of the Worlds (perhaps 2001 tomorrow...). 2001: Proof that Sci-Fi doesn't have to involve androids killing, and aliens killing, and Barbara Streisand singing... > No one ever stops to think when you're doing that experiment in fourth > grade with the magnet bars and the iron filaments that you could destroy > an entire civilization with the things. Or you can spend $300 on magical blessed magnets which will cure all pain and sickness! They even create food and turn water to wine, in some countries! > And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a > movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... Starring John Hurt, though no aliens pop out of his chest... Not as disturbing as the book, from what I hear, but then I've only seen the movie, and that one Macintosh commercial which they originally showed at the beginning of 1984, and every show dealing with commercials has to show that commercial because they assume that people haven't seen it thousands of times already :P AKA Bob "Thor was a magnet!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:26:57 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37519F11.FE4D1C46@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Grand Opening Dexter Flansburgh wrote: > WOOPS! I'm really sorry. This whole thing about Geggy Tah wasn't meant > to be sent to this list. I'm sorry. I meant to send it to the > TMBGofftopic list. Once again, sorry. -dex It starts with a post about Geggy Tah, but it ends with you flouridating the list water supply... I'm onto your communist agenda, Dexter, or should I say BORIS?! AKA Bob "Too silly for TV" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:22:51 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37519E1B.33BB0D3B@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: song remover The Great Quux wrote: > Crystal Cooper wrote: > > my twin sister was watching it too, and she hates tmbg (she's a nick cave > > fan). she saw the bit with the bottles, the 'song remover' and the other > > huh... i thought anyone who liked "red right hand" was garunteed to like > Them! How did Red Right Hand come into this conversation? Oh well, my chance to say how I really think it's the only Nick Cave song I can really say I can listen to repeatedly without feeling like some kind of serious mental damage is being caused... AKA Bob "Sooner or later, everybody's gotta die" Sciatica ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:40:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Grand Opening Message-ID: <1423-3751A220-17953@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Damn you Robert! I knew you would foil my evil plan someday. I must now to the infantry to put plan B into action... project PENCIL RAIN!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:52:22 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3751A506.51E76A52@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) BSROTE > >RICAROTE > > No one ever stops to think when you're doing that experiment in fourth > > grade with the magnet bars and the iron filaments that you could destroy > > an entire civilization with the things. > > Or you can spend $300 on magical blessed magnets which will cure all pain and > sickness! They even create food and turn water to wine, in some countries! > Jinx! Buy me a Coke! > > AKA Bob "Thor was a magnet!" Scott That's why Hawkeye could never hit a target correctly with the metal arrows. Mike "That, and his alcoholism" Leffel --*ELECTRO*magnet! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:58:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Grand Opening Message-ID: <19990530.165849.20974.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob the Anti-Communist Scott accused Dexter: >It starts with a post about Geggy Tah, but it ends with you flouridating >the list water supply... I'm onto your communist agenda, Dexter, or should >I say BORIS?! He'll see the big board! With the lights and the things and the... big board! Dexter the Anti-Anti-Communist cursed Bob: >Damn you Robert! I knew you would foil my evil plan someday. I must now >to the infantry to put plan B into action... project PENCIL RAIN!!! >AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! No! Don't kill Flansy again! Just let the man die! No -- now, Dimitri, this is no reason to get upset... ever-sincere, eriKa, 12 degrees of George C. Scott. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:56:39 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Bootlegging. Message-ID: <19990530.185639.4430.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Hey ya'll... I'm going to see Ben Folds Five in June, and I'm interested in trying to tape the show, but I don't have any swanky equipment or anything, nor do I have any idea what I should do. I know some of you do this frequently - or at least you talk about it - so I was wondering if anyone had any advise they could give out to this inexperienced pirate. ever-sincere, eriKa, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <8d09b969.248325be@aol.com> Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:37:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) In a message dated 99-05-30 14:15:35 EDT, you write: > > I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. > > > > Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!!! Don't forget the epic scene wher Optimus Prime and Megatron go at it while Madness plays... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 20:12:02 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3751E1E2.2654C0C9@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 99-05-30 14:15:35 EDT, you write: > > > > I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. > > > > > > > Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!!! > > Don't forget the epic scene wher Optimus Prime and Megatron go at it while > Madness plays... Ultra Magnus: Prime, I'm just a soldier. I'm not worthy. Optimus Prime: (gasping) Nor was I, but one day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the powers of the Matrix to light our darkest hour. OptiMike "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy!" Leffeltron Prime ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 02:39:26 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: <4bGPJ9AOheU3EwCU@wezland.demon.co.uk> Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com In article , Nese Eddleman writes >Who's the other one? > NO doubt who released there last album in 1995 but the new album has been promised since 1997 but keeps slipping. Could be this summer but I wont be holding my breath. I was so annoyed when the spice girls bought out a second album both of which were after the release of tragic kingdom. I know that you could say that it's worthless carp so the can churn it out as often as needed but I still get annoyed. -- simon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990531025226.75473.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Flaming Carrot" Subject: TMBG: RE: Non-TMBG Volvo commercial Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:52:25 CDT Eureka! (Greek: I have found it!) I figured out what the Stereolab song was on the Volvo commercial. For those of you who have not kept up with the saga, it has pestered me for weeks what Stereolab song it was that was used in the new Volvo commercial. I recognized Laetetia's voice, but not the song. Well today I was listening to one of the Aluminum Tunes discs and I found the song. It's New Orthophony. Yay! BTW, some of you musical Francophiles might have noticed that Loreal is using the Air (French Band) track "La Femme D'Argent" as the background music for some of it's ads, and Some other car maufacturer (Lincoln?) used the Dimitri from Paris track "Une Very Stylish Fille" in their ad (complete with the sample of the woman saying "I _am_ a very stylish girl") Does anyone know of artist whose music is being used as a sound backdrop for advertisements? Perhaps the Giants could get in on the action. Alden-Harrington Funeral Home uses Exquisite Dead Guy; Osco Drug uses Lie Still Little Bottle; Sifl and Olly use Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head; etc. any other funny business and Giants song promo combinations? Bjorky _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-31 ******************************