Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 6 Thursday, 6 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: off-topic: Severe Tire Damage band TMBG: The Infamous Polka Re: TMBG: The Infamous Polka TMBG: Re: The Infamous Polka TMBG: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: What polka incident? TMBG: Re: What polka incident? TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? TMBG: Re: What polka incident? TMBG: To Serve Man Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: To Serve Man TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Re: Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children TMBG: TMBG Shoutcast Channel? Re: Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:15:56 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: off-topic: Severe Tire Damage band The drummer for/leader of Severe Tire Damage died last week. But he was much more than 'just' a musician, according to this article at ZDNet: http://www.excite.com/computers_and_internet/tech_news/zdnet/?article=/news/19990505/2253418.inp 'Chief technologist at Xerox's renowned Palo Alto Research Center, Weiser's real impact came as the soul and conscience of Silicon Valley. He used his pulpit to remind anyone who would listen that in the battle of man vs. machine, we have let machines gain the upper hand. ... Weiser lived the calmness he preached. He described his complex ideas with a gentle, patient voice in a style that mimicked that of a kindergarten teacher explaining electricity to her students. His explanations were plain, riddled with metaphors, but never condescending. After all, how could a drummer be condescending? His band, Severe Tire Damage, pirated the M-bone in 1993 just before the Rolling Stones' Internet debut - giving Severe Tire Damage the distinction of "first live concert on the Net." The band's Web site is laced with irreverence; clicking on a link that no longer works produces this message: "YOU ARE UGLY AND YOUR MOTHER DRESSES YOU FUNNY. Because we know who you are and, quite frankly, we don't like you at all we are not allowing you access to the file you asked for." ' ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199905051635.MAA86984@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:36:27 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: The Infamous Polka I just received an mp3 of the infamous Famous Polka performance from 1992 in Wisconsin. I has heard about what happened, but it's very amusing to finally be able to listen to it :) --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:42:19 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Infamous Polka Message-ID: <19990505.104311.4822.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I just received an mp3 of the infamous Famous Polka performance from >1992 >in Wisconsin. I has heard about what happened, but it's very amusing >to >finally be able to listen to it didn't someone on the list say that they had a video tape of the news broadcast that night where they talked about the incident? last i knew they said that they were planning on going through their videos and looking for it... did you ever find it? if so have ya thought about sending it in to russ? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:19:03 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37307D86.F20F4C4B@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: The Infamous Polka is this mp3 posted or available anywhere??? -peter ohlert@icdc.com Jason Fickley wrote: > I just received an mp3 of the infamous Famous Polka performance from 1992 > in Wisconsin. I has heard about what happened, but it's very amusing to > finally be able to listen to it :) > > --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37308348.37B9C978@sevenlands.com> Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:43:36 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: TMBG: What polka incident? Ok, guys, help me out. I tried doing a search on alt.music.tmbg in dejanews to find out what infamous Wisconsin 1992 incident you're talking about. Nothing came up. So, what happened? CN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 13:54:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Message-ID: <19990505.135457.2926.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein I'm not exactly sure myself, but from what I've gathered: during one of TMBG's concerts, a balcony full of people collapsed in the middle of the Famous Polka. That right? If not, some one will correct me. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" On Wed, 05 May 1999 13:43:36 -0400 carlyn nugent writes: >Ok, guys, help me out. I tried doing a search on alt.music.tmbg in >dejanews to find out what infamous Wisconsin 1992 incident you're >talking about. Nothing came up. > >So, what happened? > >CN > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:57:42 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37308696.16736055@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? carlyn nugent wrote: > > Ok, guys, help me out. I tried doing a search on alt.music.tmbg in > dejanews to find out what infamous Wisconsin 1992 incident you're > talking about. Nothing came up. > > So, what happened? > > CN Flansburgh 'faith healed' some audience members, and his two goons 'caught' them after the light of truth entered their lives. Of course, John whacked them in the face pretty hard, and his goons kicked the people in the back of the knees, but they fell down and that's the point. Give John Flansburgh all your money and he'll heal you too. But pray to Linnell and you're gonna regret it!!! Mike "The Curse Of TMBG!!!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001f01be98c1$7692e100$3ea6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:40:27 -0700 I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is not true and then you think, someone is going to believe that is the answer to the question and that is just wrong. So anyway. Who knows exactly what happnened during that fateful concert when the stage collapsed? I always thought it was the stage John & John were on. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002d01be9731$b8fe0740$5999e7ce@z0n4g0> From: "balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 15:59:00 -0400 actually I found that reply very amusing....I must give mr. Leffel credit on that one...very amusing, I'm trying to picture what mike wrote...hehe, very funny. Anyways, I beleive that it was a mass of people stage diving and climbing the tapestries causing the tapestries to collapse...and the stage i guess. I've got a CD of it and can put it online as an mp3 or vqf if that's desired....let me know. -Eric >> >I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers that aren't >true. because you don't realize until the end that it is not true and then you think, >someone is going to believe that is the answer to the question and that is just >wrong. So anyway. Who knows exactly what happnened during that fateful >concert when the stage collapsed? I always thought it was the stage John & >John were on. eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 15:08:24 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3730A538.AE86C4F5@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? > eRiCh wrote: > > I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers > that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is > not true It took you until the end to realize that the 'faith healing' thing wasn't true?! ^_^ Never read the Onion, friend! ^_^ Mike "little glowing" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990505203425.57581.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: To Serve Man Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:34:22 PDT Did anyone else notice Bender's apron in last night's Futurama? It must have been a Mono Puff reference! No, I'm just kidding about the reference. (At least, I think I am. These "references" might be appearing too often to be entirely coincidental.) It was a good gag, though. This might well have been the best Futurama yet (although I haven't seen the one where Fry moves in with Bender). How could Fry cry the Emperor out of his stomach, though? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "It's a cookbook" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Hypnotic Clambake, Square Dance Messiah _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:27:56 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Message-ID: <19990505.142801.4510.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >That right? If not, some one will correct me. oh dear children. i love newbies and all of you non-bootleg collectors. okay the lowdown: John and John asked everyone to get up and polka with them. The audience misinterpreted it and got up *on stage* with the johns. A portion of the stage collapsed, several people were injured. A few people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries (i think one person had a concusion and a couple others with broken bones). The johns visited the hospitalized victims the next day and they all lived happily ever after. the end. take it easy, JOrdaN GET A COPY OF THE SHOW FOR YOURSELF ---> http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3730AC0A.45264AD@sevenlands.com> Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:37:30 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > okay the lowdown: John and John asked everyone to get up and polka with > them. The audience misinterpreted it and got up *on stage* with the > johns. A portion of the stage collapsed, several people were injured. A > few people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries (i think one > person had a concusion and a couple others with broken bones). The johns > visited the hospitalized victims the next day and they all lived happily > ever after. the end. Thank you. Now I know the truth, and the truth shall set me free. Errr... But, it does make me wonder about that recording. I just imagine them singing the song as usual, then a loud "Crash!!!! Bleaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!" followed by silence. I'll have to check out the Mp3, Wav, or whatever is/becomes available. CN ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 17:02:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: To Serve Man Message-ID: <19990505.170300.14534.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan, who has been shedding his light upon all of us, observed: >Did anyone else notice Bender's apron in last night's Futurama? It must >have been a Mono Puff reference! Indeed, and when the Emperor was beating Fry with a chair at the end .. .. someone kept moving his chair! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!* *inane laughter denotes joke. ever-sincere, eriKa, it's like making love. you know - left, down, rotate 62 degrees, apply rotor. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:49:02 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3730BCCE.41359075@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? --------------223C6720D13501A61B60FEFD Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit eRiCh wrote: > I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers > that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is > not true and then you think, someone is going to believe that is the > answer to the question and that is just wrong. So anyway. Who knows > exactly what happnened during that fateful concert when the stage > collapsed? I always thought it was the stage John & John were on. > eRiCh I hear it was reminiscent of 'The Globe Theatre Incident', in which Abraham Lincoln, in his time travelling shenanigans, landed in one of the incarnations of The Globe Theatre, and Shakespeare, in trying to get him off the stage, skewered Peg-Leg Jimmy with a very sharp and poignant script... AKA Bob "Got Irony?" SCott --------------223C6720D13501A61B60FEFD Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit eRiCh wrote:
 I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is not true and then you think, someone is going to believe that is the answer to the question and that is just wrong. So anyway. Who knows exactly what happnened during that fateful concert when the stage collapsed? I always thought it was the stage John & John were on. eRiCh

I hear it was reminiscent of 'The Globe Theatre Incident', in which Abraham Lincoln, in his time travelling shenanigans, landed in one of the incarnations of The Globe Theatre, and Shakespeare, in trying to get him off the stage, skewered Peg-Leg Jimmy with a very sharp and poignant script...

AKA Bob "Got Irony?" SCott --------------223C6720D13501A61B60FEFD-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 17:55:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-May-99 TMBG: Re: What polka incident? by "eRiCh"@amouse.net > I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers = I grow tired of reading messages that have the entire message duplicated in HTML below the normal text. (sorry, I had to :) > that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is not = > true and then you think, someone is going to believe that is the answer = > to the question and that is just wrong. So anyway. Who knows exactly = > what happnened during that fateful concert when the stage collapsed? I = > always thought it was the stage John & John were on. eRiCh The audience was pretty much sticking to their seats, and Flans decided it wouldn't do anyone any harm if they all got up and danced in the aisles, since Milwaukee is pretty much the Polka Capital of the US. So, in a moment of mangled wording and misunderstood meanings, he inadvertently invited people onto the stage. The stage, in this case, having two main parts: one in the back where TMBG were playing, and one in front, which was basically a plywood board placed over the orchestra pit. The first three or four rows of people rushed forward and started to polka on the plywood covering the orchestra pit. Well, plywood may be sturdy, but there's only so much it can take. Even this crowd, which was extremely well behaved, according to the Johns - it's not like they were up in J&J's faces - was too much for the stage, and it gave way about a third of the way into the song. They stopped playing, the house lights came on, and Flans, in a very obviously shaken voice, said "Uhhhh, I was just talking about the aisles, guys..." and "Is everybody all right?" and he was pretty much losing it by the end of that statement. They left the stage for about 20 minutes while rescue crews came and carted people away (for what seemed like such a severe incident, relatively few people had to be taken to the hospital, and there were no serious injuries) John and John came back out, did a few quiet songs (Chess Piece Face, Maybe I Know, Mammal, and the beginning of Istanbul) and then once the other three band members came out at the end of Istanbul, they finished up with Hide Away Folk Family, Birdhouse, and Frankenstein. They ended up skipping about 4 songs (based on other sets from around that time, I'd guess Don't Let's Start, If I Wasn't Shy, Whistling in the Dark, and Dig My Grave at the very least) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:12:46 -0400 Subject: Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children Message-ID: <19990505.181326.-140711.0.thehangedman@juno.com> From: Matt J Brown Jeff Parker : "BTW, the other day a fellow TMBG fan and i went to see our favorite local band Jump Little Children (check em out NOW!). Anyway so guess what they played as preshow music... none other than Factory Showroom!!! They almost had time to play the entire thing before the opening band came out. We were singing at the top of our lungs and attracting a few stares since no one else who it was. It made the concert that much better.." Jump, Little Children is amazing. I was introduced to them about a year ago, and wow, they are great. Glad to hear they are TMBG fans. There is an accordian player! He also plays the electric mandolin, which is cool. I saw them at the Cotton Club in Atlanta, and the opening band, Ozomatli (sp?) was awesome as well. They are a very high-energy latin-techno-rap-rock group. Sort of. Well, that was incoherent I'm sure. Love, the hanged man ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2be78dd0.246222f8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:40:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? In a message dated 5/5/99 3:43:11 PM, carlynn@sevenlands.com writes: > I just imagine them >singing the song as usual, then a loud "Crash!!!! >Bleaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!" followed by silence. i thought i had that show, but i was just looking at my tape shelves and couldn't find it. hmm. if i do, it's lost. or i'm thinking of another show. has anyone ever made a list of TMBG show disasters/oddities? i tell ya, they seem to be prone to accidents and such... no other band i love has had this many unfortunate problems. *the stage collapsing *flans getting hit in the eye (my first tmbg show ) *flans {oor was it linnell?} losing his voice, frank black taking over for him etc..i know there's more... sarah ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <64f94bd3.246226fe@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:58:06 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children Hey, I found a cd of theirs at a used record store in the $3 section. I got it..I think its pretty cool. How are their live shows? -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 19:23:24 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <3730D2EC.DE2EA4FC@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG Shoutcast Channel? Hey does anyone know if whoever was running that tmbg shoutcast server is still running it? -peter ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990505194359.00936ab0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 19:44:49 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Jump Little Children In a word, *phenomenal*. I don't think I've ever seen a band put on as good a show live as J,LC, although Barenaked Ladies came very, very close. -Adam At 06:58 PM 5/5/99, Alterian@aol.com wrote: >Hey, >I found a cd of theirs at a used record store in the $3 section. I got it..I >think its pretty cool. How are their live shows? >-Amber the Transcendent -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <5c74c812.24623730@aol.com> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 20:07:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? In a message dated 5/5/99 6:58:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << *the stage collapsing *flans getting hit in the eye (my first tmbg show ) *flans {oor was it linnell?} losing his voice, frank black taking over for him >> OOOOH!! The 10/15 Bowery ballroom show...Flans had to leave the stage early because he nearly passed out, AND Linnell's keyboard broke!!! In the SAME show!! Jordan (the other one...the one who...doesnt...post...often...) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:08:15 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Message-ID: <19990505.182750.3734.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >*the stage collapsing >*flans getting hit in the eye (my first tmbg show ) >*flans {oor was it linnell?} losing his voice, frank black taking over >for him it was linnell (he got laryngitis for a good 3 weeks)... mike viola took over in a couple of shows!! not to mention all the times when the lights and power went out on them (and i'm not talking pet name lights out... i'm talking unexpected.) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:32:10 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? Message-ID: <19990505.183211.3734.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Jordan (the other one...the one who...doesnt...post...often...) now wait a minute... up until a couple of days ago i'd been on a lil break and hadn't been posting too often. Anyways, i think the list has gone from having 7 jordan's (back in late '96) at one time to just you and me... i think we can distinguish by a) my funky capitlization (which was the original reason for doing that) b) the fact that i'm a chica (you are a homeblock aren't you?) take it easy, JOrdaN --- is it jor-dawg or is it my dog? http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::the one, the only, J-fry::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-6 *****************************