Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 7 Friday, 7 May 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka TMBG: William Allen White factoid TMBG: Re: What polka incident? TMBG: Brian Woodbury and His Popular Music Group TMBG: Happy birthdays! Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: What polka incident? -Reply Re: TMBG: RE: that Polka d' Infamous TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! RE: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: RE: that Polka d' Infamous TMBG:Show Mishaps Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! TMBG: Re: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Re: TMBG: Brian Woodbury and His Popular Music Group Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist TMBG: travesty of justice Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist TMBG: Re: travesty of justice Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <004801be991a$05a436c0$1fa6bfd1@cannon> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 23:14:24 -0700 Oh no no, Leffel. it didn't take me the whole message to figure out it was a joke. I could see Flansy on stage doing an act like that. But yes, I was fooled at first. I commented because that's the second time youve fooled me Leffel. I'll get you. oh yes, probably not, but i'll get you!!! eRiCh [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003901be97a2$c3c953c0$bdb3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:27:50 +0100 When the Leffel speaks all must listen (maybe he's ringing the bells, but I guess we'll never know for sure). There is but one thing you should always bare in mind, a pinch of salt guys, always remember a pinch of salt. Uncle Squid's Final Thought: Here's hoping you don't become a robot, clang, clang, whoops, too late! The Uncle Squid site [ www.keme.net/~thelimes/uncle_squid/ ] Carter USM, Pharmacy & more [ http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/ ] ||| ICQ: 12605535 ||| Tel: (01206) 502043 ||| Fax: (01206) 514682 ||| [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 06:51:30 -0600 Subject: TMBG: William Allen White factoid Message-ID: <19990506.065131.11790.2.tlweb@juno.com> From: Tara L Weber I'm back finally after a very extended absence . . . I found out an interesting William Allen White tidbit (that would be the owner of the disembodied head floating around in TMBG videos, for the uninitiated). My officemate, Cactus, was artist-in-residence at Rocky Mountain National Park a couple of years ago and he told me he got to stay in William Allen White's old cabin -- apparently he had some cabin in what later became Moraine Park, part of RMNP. SInce it was there before the area was designated a national park, it was allowed to remain. I don't know specifically where it is in the park, but I know someone who stayed in it. Kind of creepy, huh? :) --Tara Currently in the CD player: Sleater-Kinney -- Dig Me Out Elliott Smith -- Either/Or James Taylor -- Greatest Hits (that's right, James Taylor. I'm not afraid to embrace the folkie within.) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 05:28:22 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373160B6.704151F4@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: What polka incident? > eRiCh wrote: > > I grow tired of reading replies to questions with stupid joke answers > that aren't true. because you don't realize until the end that it is > not true and then you think, someone is going to believe that is the > answer to the question and that is just wrong. You must have been going crazy this April 1, huh? Planned to blow up the whole Internet, eh? Well, just calm down baby, mom'll die soon and you'll get all the money! YaY! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- ".. I declare our city to be a free and independent city, to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E456412A786F@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Brian Woodbury and His Popular Music Group Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:15:02 -0400 Hello exquisite living people. Brian Woodbury and His Popular Music Group Who? Who? Check out the TMBG discography at www.tmbg.org and under "Collaborations with Other Artists" you'll see this CD listed. What the hell is it and how can you buy it? Who the hell even has this CD? According to the discography, it says Linnell plays accordion on the first track and Flansburgh gives "arrangement suggestions" on the 2nd track. Well, since you all are such rabid TMBG collectors and cannot stand leaving a gap of any size in your collection, here is how you can get this album: ---This is quoted from the e-mail I got back from Brian Woodbury--- You can get my CD by sending your name and address and a check for $12 made out to Brian Woodbury to: 468 Fifth St #4 Brooklyn NY 11215 Thanks, Brian ---End Quote--- Love, Rob Plass P.S. I am not affiliated with BW or his PMG. I just want to pass along the address to the other TMBG collectors out there. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199905061642.MAA27659@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Happy birthdays! Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:42:57 -0400 (EDT) Happy birthday John Flansburgh! "I hope that he gets old before he dies" -Matt p.s. And happy birthday to my gf, Nicola, who's birthday was on Cinco de Mayo. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:35:49 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3731D2F5.F7E4DFE4@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:44:43 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3731D50B.A93921D@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Uncle Squid said: >There is but one thing you should always bare in mind, a pinch of > salt guys, always remember a pinch of salt. I am sick and tired of people coming on and promoting salt. Don't you people realize that SALT IS MADE OF PEOPLE?! Mike "Sabotaging George Lucas' Empire" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:47:27 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3731D5AF.E9820FD0@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Mike Leffel wrote: > This is disturbing...Is Leffel truly without a thing to say? Mountain lion got your tongue, oh foul mountain of putrid filth? :P Bob "That whole thing about the putrid filth... I just made that up!" SCott ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 18:09:11 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: What polka incident? -Reply >>> "tmbgirl@juno.com" 5/May/1999 11:19pm >>> take it easy, JOrdaN GET A COPY OF THE SHOW FOR YOURSELF ---> http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html JOrdaN Would like to. Date and year please! Richard ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 13:03:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3731D98A.DB560CF1@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: that Polka d' Infamous Bob Scott wrote: > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > > This is disturbing...Is Leffel truly without a thing to say? Mountain > lion got your tongue, oh foul mountain of putrid filth? :P > > Bob "That whole thing about the putrid filth... I just made that up!" > SCott Listen here you cork-chewing old mountain goat of a lipless whore!!!! Haven't you ever heard of TECHNICAL ERROR? Cannot your puny mind envision a happenstance wherein problems would occur during a seemingly routine mail transport session? You fig! You cow! Go back to your hooch hole and never darken my soda jerk again!!!! Mike "Planet Skaro!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990506140812.009337e0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:10:31 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Ripped directly from the updated Theymightbegiants.com: -Adam 15 NEW STUDIO TRACKS FROM TMBG OUT ON GOODNOISE MP3-ONLY RELEASE -"LONG TALL WEEKEND" IS COMING! The new They Might Be Giants album of unreleased studio material, "Long Tall Weekend" will be available momentarily... but only via internet as a special project with on-line retailer Good Noise. The Good Noise web site at goodnoise.com is already selling selected TMBG songs and albums in the MP3 format, but the "Long Tall Weekend" project collects some very interesting new recordings from the past couple of years, and previews a couple of tracks that will appear on TMBG's next CD format release. A QUICK GUIDE TO "LONG TALL WEEKEND" DRINKING. This peppy instrumental kicks things off, with a baritone guitar and bass sax leading the way. SHE THINKS SHE'S EDITH HEAD. This track, already a featured song in the Giants' new show, features driving performances from Dan Miller on electric guitar and Danny Weinkauf on bass. Look for this number to appear on the next Giants CD. MAYBE I KNOW . This beloved cover of the Lesley Gore hit from the '60s has been in the John's repertoire since the very beginning. Often an encore selection, it is now finally available to y'all. One of the few songs that the band busked with (along with "Cowtown" and "Alientation's for the Rich" on the Brooklyn Heights promenade .RAT PATROL. This witchy rocker spotlights some really witchy singing, dueling guitar lines from Flans and Eric Schermerhorn and a truly blazing guitar solo from Eric as well. Not the same as the embryonic version heard on Dial-A-Song. TOKEN BACK TO BROOKLYN . Another Dial-A-Song favorite finally makes it to the public. Drumming by Yuval Gabay of Soul Coughing. OLDER . A staple of the live show, this song is available as a Quicktime video at tmbg.com, but now is available at CD quality here. OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY. Sung by Flansburgh, this meditation on torments of office work carries on in the tradition of "Minimum Wage". DARK & METRIC. Vaguely reminiscent of a Sesame Street song, this track features Graham Maby on bass and Brian Doherty pounding the tubs. REPREHENSIBLE. A swanky ballad with wall to wall horns about the most reprehensible fellow one could imagine. Features a Linnell Clarinet solo. CERTAIN PEOPLE. Written around the time of the Factory Showroom, this song is finally ready for the world. COUNTERFEIT FAKER . A hopped up country number finds Linnell playing the banjo and fiddle (!) and some serious footstomping and cross-eyed harmonizing from Flansy. Different. THEY GOT LOST. The original slow version slated for Factory Showroom is suprisingly different from the "Sever Tire Damage" live rave up. LULLABY TO NIGHTMARES. Lyrics by Joshua Fried, with a completely different feel than the Hello the Band version, this track features the blazing trumpet of klezmer king Frank London. ON EARTH MY NINA. A plaintive ballad created by Linnell in a most unusual way. Look to this site for future details. EDISON MUSEUM. The true life story of "the tallest, greatest and most famous haunted mansion in New Jersey" Written by Linnell with Brian Dewan, and sung with profound gusto by WFMU dj Nick Hill. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199905061814.OAA197524@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:15:03 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist www.theymightbegiants.com has been updated and it includes a tracklist for Long Tall Weekend. Read no further if you don't want to know until the release... Song titles and spelling taken as seen at www.theymightbegiants.com, with the exception of #4, which had a typo... 1.Drinking 2.She Thinks She's Edith Head 3.Maybe I Know 4.Rat Patrol 5.Token Back to Brooklyn 6.Older 7.Operators Are Standing By 8.Dark & Metric 9.Reprehensible 10.Certain People 11.Counterfeit Faker 12.They Got Lost 13.Lullaby to Nightmares 14.On Earth My Nina 15.Edison Museum There's also descriptions of each song, more details of their ABC performances, and more! --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3731DC7E.7EC9C6F5@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:16:30 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! > OLDER . A staple of the live show, this song is available as a Quicktime video at > tmbg.com... It is?? Do they mean an audio only video (which is an oxymoron) or what? CN ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: RE: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 13:20:53 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC > www.theymightbegiants.com has been updated and it includes a tracklist for > Long Tall Weekend. auuggghh!!! this is so frustrating. i don't have access to all of the required hardware necessary to download this thing when it comes out. is there perhaps a kind soul out there that, if i sent them the money to pay for the download, bout the cd-r, and covered postage that would be willing to donate his/her time to write this thing for me? PLEEEASSSE!!! okay, enough begging. kristi 'my mother always said begging wasn't very flattering' greenwell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990506142423.00939030@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:25:00 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! At 02:16 PM 5/6/99, carlyn nugent wrote: > >It is?? Do they mean an audio only video (which is an oxymoron) or >what? I suppose that's what they mean. I don't see any original videos on tmbg.com other than Dr. Worm or IANYB. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 14:17:22 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3731EAC2.50C06653@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: that Polka d' Infamous Mike Leffel wrote: > Bob Scott wrote: > > > > Mike Leffel wrote: > > > > > > > This is disturbing...Is Leffel truly without a thing to say? Mountain > > lion got your tongue, oh foul mountain of putrid filth? :P > > > > Bob "That whole thing about the putrid filth... I just made that up!" > > SCott > > Listen here you cork-chewing old mountain goat of a lipless > whore!!!! Haven't you ever heard of TECHNICAL ERROR? Cannot your > puny mind envision a happenstance wherein problems would occur > during a seemingly routine mail transport session? You fig! You > cow! Go back to your hooch hole and never darken my soda jerk again!!!! We are not amused... > Mike "Planet Skaro!" Leffel Ah! Resorting to your homeworld, Davros? Bob "EXTERMINATE!!!!!EXTERMINATE!!!" SCott ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <96371991.24633da6@aol.com> Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:47:02 EDT Subject: TMBG:Show Mishaps The recent Rochester Show, the PA system went out during STSEH.... -Amber ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003501be97f5$616a7120$b3b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 20:19:18 +0100 > I am sick and tired of people coming on and promoting salt. > Don't you people realize that SALT IS MADE OF PEOPLE?! We at "Knowledge of Nothing Outside of Brilliant Salts" (or KNOBS for short) believe in Salt as nothing but an amazing part of life (though it is formed through death). It is great on fried potato products (which are not made of the dead) and as everyone becomes salt, it is classless. Perfection in several million tiny glistening white granules. HAIL SALT PEOPLE, RISE UP AND HAIL SALT!! Now, if you don't mind, this debonair young Englishman has to go and prune the leper that's tied to a tree in a big Forrest made of twisting, happy feet. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990506193958.12326.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:39:57 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >TOKEN BACK TO BROOKLYN . Another Dial-A-Song favorite finally makes >it to >the public. What's this "finally makes it to the public" nonsense? Has Flans not found the hidden track on _Factory Showroom_ yet? >DARK & METRIC. Vaguely reminiscent of a Sesame Street song, this >track >features >Graham Maby on bass and Brian Doherty pounding the tubs. Yes, Sesame Street songs frequently contain lyrics like "Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned." (I suppose this comment reflects the style more than the actual words.) >COUNTERFEIT FAKER . A hopped up country number finds Linnell playing >the >banjo >and fiddle (!) and some serious footstomping and cross-eyed >harmonizing >from Flansy. Different. Y'know, the "O Tannenbaum" record is also described as "different." Someone seems to like that adjective. No "On The Drag"? Are They saving this for the next studio album, or what? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Get away" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:08:23 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Message-ID: <19990506.162202.4574.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >DRINKING. This peppy instrumental kicks things off, with a baritone guitar and >bass sax leading the way. Hm. By any chance, is this "baritone guitar and bass sax" a typo? Because I've heard of a bass guitar, and a baritone sax (why, my goodness, I happen to play it! ), but never the other way around - and know there's no such thing as a bass sax, but as far as I know, there could be baritone guitars .. my guitar knowledge is small. Very small. Minuscule, if you will. Infinitesimal, and other synonyms for "small." Just curious. ever-sincere, eriKa, dude, you've had some serious-assed people-trying-to-eat-your-ass problems! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:06:46 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: the infamous polka Message-ID: <19990506.162202.4574.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob Scott was disturbed: >This is disturbing...Is Leffel truly without a thing to say? Mountain >lion got your tongue, oh foul mountain of putrid filth? :P No, no, you need to look at the words he's *not* typing. That's where the true art is. It's beautiful really. Then Mike Leffel ranted: >Listen here you cork-chewing old mountain goat of a lipless >whore!!!! Haven't you ever heard of TECHNICAL ERROR? Cannot your >puny mind envision a happenstance wherein problems would occur >during a seemingly routine mail transport session? You fig! You >cow! Go back to your hooch hole and never darken my soda jerk again!!!! Okay, so I made the attempt to make you sound deep and profound and artistic, Leffel, but I guess I was wrong. Sheesh. I thought you were more than that.. So I guess all that stuff about your work being accepted into the Metropolitan Museum of Art was all lies, wasn't it? WASN'T IT?! ever-sincere, eriKa, it's 5:45! where's the fresh bread? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds np: Harry Connick, Jr. - "Eleven" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3731FDA8.9618ADC2@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 15:38:00 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Hm. By any chance, is this "baritone guitar and bass sax" a typo? Because > I've heard of a bass guitar, and a baritone sax (why, my goodness, I > happen to play it! ), but never the other way around - and know > there's no such thing as a bass sax, but as far as I know, there could be > baritone guitars .. my guitar knowledge is small. Very small. Minuscule, > if you will. Infinitesimal, and other synonyms for "small." Bass saxes are really cool. They have this wheeled stand because they are too big to hold. Pretty neat. In my head, a baritone guitar is a mariachi instrument. But I *would* see bass guitar and bari sax as more normal. But how necessary is normal, hmmm? Chad "Donde est e la bibliotheka" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:52:40 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Message-ID: On Thu, 6 May 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Hm. By any chance, is this "baritone guitar and bass sax" a typo? probably not. > Because I've heard of a bass guitar, and a baritone sax (why, my > goodness, I happen to play it! ), but never the other way around - > and know there's no such thing as a bass sax, there is too! bass saxes are larger than bari's, so much so that they have wheels. if you listen to elliott smith's "XO", the song "question mark" uses baritone *and* bass sax. also, bass saxophone was used a lot in the early (embryonic) days of jazz, in place of the bass violin that became standard issue. i know for a fact that certain bix beiderbecke recordings, among others, use bass saxophone. > but as far as I know, there could be baritone guitars .. my guitar > knowledge is small. Very small. Minuscule, if you will. Infinitesimal, > and other synonyms for "small." baritone guitars are in fact real as well. i believe that they're used most frequently in certain mariachi contexts, although they're not by any means limited to that. ani difranco, for one, uses baritone guitars fairly frequently. and glade sowards, whose band i'm in, has been eyeing the purchase of a baritone guitar for quite some time, although it's probably not going to happen soon. as you might expect, the baritone guitar is lower than your average guitar. (if i remember correctly, the tenor guitar is *higher* than your average guitar, which makes me wonder what the appropriate prefix is for your average guitar. i guess "average".) > dude, you've had some serious-assed people-trying-to-eat-your-ass > problems! dude! this tastes like ass! --jim kuemmerle, whose ass is currently not being pursued by any hungry people... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 5/10 -- GLADE at the zephyr, 300 S & W temple, SLC, 9:30 pm, with GARED MOSES, $5 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 18:05:35 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Message-ID: <19990506.180535.4062.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Well, Jim and Chad have been so kind as to correct me - and nicely too, I might add, without the slightest accusation of me being an idiot - thankyoumuchsirs. I had absolutely no idea there was such a thing as a bass sax. In fact, long ago, when I first started playing bari sax, I asked my band instructor if there was a bass sax, as it seemed to be in every other form pitch-wise - soprano, tenor, alto,* baritone, naturally bass would come next - and she told me no! She's obviously in some sort of conspiracy against me, in cahoots with every math teacher I've ever had - determined to drive me to the point of insanity! Do you know what it's like to be lied to for three years? This is awful! I'll have to demand an explanation tomorrow. >But I *would* see bass guitar and bari sax as >more normal. Yes, since Linnell plays bari and .. and .. aw hell, my whole world's been turned on end! ever-sincere, eriKa, who's hands are too small to play a low C on my sax. I bet Linnell's hands aren't too small. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds * [footnote] Did I put the pitches in the right order? I couldn't remember if tenor was higher or lower than alto. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:58:02 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Message-ID: <19990506.170858.3766.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> loookeeeee they're finally releasing the FS sessions (eric schermerhorn on RP?) woohoo.... we've only had half these recordings for oh ya know... SEVERAL YEARS! yea false advertising blows the fatty goat "Brand new" ha! i get more and more dissapointed in TMBG's releases as the years progress. We've been waiting for a real album, with new material since what... late '96? Am i just greedy? I mean sure T:TEY was groovy but didn't really satisfy that need... nor did STD just cuz it had so much old stuff and what they did have on there slated as "new" was not really new at all as they had been playing those songs in their shows for at least a year. STD wouldn't have been that bad but in comarison to other groups live albums it was pathetic (Fruvous/BNL) it didn't give an accurate representation of their live show but rather bits and pieces of several different periods of their live show all melded together to make a very choppy and unlikable CD for a bootleg collector or someone that has attended several (i'm talking more than 15 -20) TMBG shows. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3731ECF7.96531F84@osu.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:26:48 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Track listing for Long Tall Weekend!!! Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > * [footnote] Did I put the pitches in the right order? I couldn't > remember if tenor was higher or lower than alto. > Tenor's lower than alto. I wondered the same thing, about the bass sax and baritone guitar. I've heard of a bass sax and even though I may be something of a musician, I've never heard any kind of adjective attached to guitar besides bass. Baritone sax and bass guitar definitely seemed much more likely to me...guess you learn something new every day. :-) Diana PS I just thought of this: Who all is going to Woodstock?! Cause I am! Well, I don't have my ticket, but I'm planning on getting one very soon. That's going to be so amazing! :-) ------------------------------ From: Shane_Gasteyer@nmh.northfield.ma.us (Shane Gasteyer) Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:51:24 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Woodbury and His Popular Music Group Message-ID: <1059438334.2739778@nmh.northfield.ma.us> Organization: Northfield Mount Hermon School wow, you have heard of Brian Woodbury?? He is a friend of my uncle, and i happen to have his cd. It is really cool, reminiscant of some of tmbg's earlier stuff. GET IT! ~Shane "linnell88" rabid tmbg fan Neptune's Ambassador to the United States * -------------------------------------------- Sent from Northfield Mount Hermon School via the School Wide Information System ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 19:20:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: the infamous polka In a message dated 5/6/99 3:27:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, squid@thelimes.keme.co.uk writes: << We at "Knowledge of Nothing Outside of Brilliant Salts" (or KNOBS for short) believe in Salt as nothing but an amazing part of life (though it is formed through death). >> I had a dream many years ago that the Earth was taken over by a race of one eyed giant moths with a horn on their heads. They burned people alive to turn them into salt and pepper...they didn't get me tho! -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199905070152.VAA119368@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 21:53:18 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist At 04:58 PM 5/6/99 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >woohoo.... we've only had half these recordings for oh ya know... >SEVERAL YEARS! yea false advertising blows the fatty goat "Brand new" >ha! i get more and more dissapointed in TMBG's releases as the years >progress. If this was a regular album I'd agree with you, but seeing that this stuff wouldn't be released anyway (STSEH notwithstanding), it's better than nothing. >We've been waiting for a real album, with new material since what... late >'96? Am i just greedy? I mean sure T:TEY was groovy but didn't really >satisfy that need... nor did STD just cuz it had so much old stuff and >what they did have on there slated as "new" was not really new at all as >they had been playing those songs in their shows for at least a year. I agree with you on this one. The fact that the current project is a children's album doesn't help matters. I have nothing against the release of T:TEY, STD, or the children's album, but to release all 3 in a row with no regular studio album in between seems very...I don't know...odd. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 18:39:51 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37321A37.391F6C5E@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: travesty of justice "What is everyone staring at" is NOT going to be on the MP3 album. excuse my french, but... FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! thanks. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 18:38:41 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <373219F1.169D2270@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" wrote: >is there perhaps > a kind soul out there that, if i sent them the money to pay for the download, > bout the cd-r, and covered postage that would be willing to donate his/her time > to write this thing for me? PLEEEASSSE!!! They call it B&P, blanks and postage helping to spread the groove, baby. At least that's what those professional guys call it, I'll do it coitainly. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 18:35:43 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3732193F.37313228@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Jason Fickley wrote: > I agree with you on this one. The fact that the current project is a > children's album doesn't help matters. I have nothing against the release > of T:TEY, STD, or the children's album, but to release all 3 in a row with > no regular studio album in between seems very...I don't know...odd. I think they were waiting to see if another major-label deal would materialize, but since it hasn't I guess they're going full-steam ahead to see what Restless will do (I mean, distribution networks and word-of-mouth advertising has gone a LONG way via the Internet since 1986-89.) But in regards to the pending children's album, I fully expect to open up the jacket and find the words "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS' SEVENTH ALBUM" printed inside:) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 22:08:47 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7gtkt8$1d6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: travesty of justice The Great Quux wrote in message news:37321A37.391F6C5E@stardatecomputer.com... > "What is everyone staring at" is NOT going to be on the MP3 album. Relax, maybe that just means it will be on the next studio album. (one can but hope). -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <373210F6.64D5@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:00:22 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Not to be a poopy, but isn't the TMBG we know and love supposed to be 'odd'? I like what they're doing, and I don't really miss live albums all that much. It would be nice, but I think a "children's album" would suffice. I guess I'm not too picky or critical, cause we just don't know why they're doing what they're doing. Maybe they think the studio sucks or something... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-7 *****************************