Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #17-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 17, Number 9 Sunday, 9 May 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions songs Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Fwd: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection TMBG: non-tmbg: volvo commercial Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Fwd: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection TMBG: direct from brooklyn Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 06:48:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend tracklist < woohoo.... we've only had half these recordings for oh ya know... SEVERAL YEARS! yea false advertising blows the fatty goat "Brand new" ha! i get more and more disappointed in TMBG's releases as the years progress. >> How many TMBG fans actually have bootleg copies of the unused FS studio recordings? I could be wrong, but I'll bet it's less than half. In any case, I'm excited that they're finally releasing them, and those who got illegitimate copies shouldn't complain. As far as "Token Back To Brooklyn," I remember when the FS hidden track was discovered, a lot of people said they preferred the old DAS version, so maybe that's why it's on LTW now. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 05:01:34 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3733FD6E.189C398F@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? Jason Fickley wrote: > Yeah, no kidding. It's supposed to be on Superfeuled Freaksicle...or was it > Insect Hospital? Maybe both. > Also, did you know there's a hidden track on Factory Showroom? Wow, this got so totally silly that if I were Graham Chapman and I had a general's outfit around here somewhere, I'd put it on and yell "Alright! This is too silly! Now stop it, STOP IT!" -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 05:09:22 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3733FF42.6D4866BC@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) Adam Tyner wrote: > > The newer version is with Linnell, who I think came up with the acid rock > take on Flansie's song as a whole. Correct? Speaking of this, how do they write their songs? Together or seperately? I'm thinking one of them has an idea and then they flesh it out together, because they sound so different working on their own (in Mono Puff and in Hall of Mayors). -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 05:06:06 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3733FE7E.D749411C@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom Sessions songs Matt James wrote: > Do you think that's bull or do you really think it's the truth? > That could just be their excuse for having the tapes stolen. > -Matt They weren't stolen, only copies were made (I hope -- it would be REALLY wrong to steal a band's working tapes). But even though FS has only 13 (or 14) songs, it is ~44 minutes which is their usual album length (except for JH). There's certainly no "quality" reason for leaving songs like Reprehensible out, because it's a kick-ass song. So I think perhaps they're right about the flow, or they didn't want to make a long album like JH, or something. Whatever. All I know is, we're getting good copies of the songs! YAY! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC 1861 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37344DCC.575B66CA@airmail.net> Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 09:44:28 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) The Great Quux wrote: > > Adam Tyner wrote: > > > > The newer version is with Linnell, who I think came up with the acid rock > > take on Flansie's song as a whole. Correct? Um, we would know this how? At any rate, apparently it was Flansie on the original DAS version. I knew it was one of those John boys. ;) Actually, that said...if Flansie can indeed sing with a fuller tone, why does he often sound so damned airy when he sings? Is it just the easiest way to make himself distinctive or what? *shrug* > Speaking of this, how do they write their songs? Together or seperately? > I'm thinking one of them has an idea and then they flesh it out > together, because they sound so different working on their own (in Mono > Puff and in Hall of Mayors). Actually, from what I've heard, they write most of their stuff separately. They've co-written a few songs, but not many. BTW, I don't have the FS sessions or PODAS on tape, so this material will be new for me, except what I've heard in live shows. A lot of bands play stuff live for a long time before they release it on an album. Now if only I had a credit card... > -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- > > "I hereby declare our city a free and independent state > to be named Tri-Insula!" --Fernando Wood, Mayor of NYC > 1861 Danielle, feeling a bit sheepish -- URL: http://come.to/cherubino And give me back my evil heart So I can see you as you are... --John Linnell, "Maine" ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 11:40:48 EDT Subject: Fwd: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] > Adam Tyner wrote: > > > > The newer version is with Linnell, who I think came up with the acid rock > > take on Flansie's song as a whole. Correct? > > Speaking of this, how do they write their songs? Together or seperately? > I'm thinking one of them has an idea and then they flesh it out > together, because they sound so different working on their own (in Mono > Puff and in Hall of Mayors). I'd take it a step further and say that the entire song is written in some format and then the other John hears it and might add to or change portions of it, especially those parts that utilize their respective instruments. I think there was an interview with TMBG and one of the questions was about Rat Patrol (just to tie in the other thread) and I think one of them said that the lyrics were written by one John and the music by the other John. I get the feeling this is very few and far between and by far the basic make-up of songs are created individually. Oh, and about the person who said their non-TMBG-fanatic friends who listened to the solo stuff and said that they thought it was TMBG; well, just recognizing one of their voices in a song would probably make one think it was TMBG since they probably don't know of any other bands that the Johns might be in separately. Now, if you went up to a friend and said, "This is not TMBG" and played Mono Puff or a solo Linnell song and they said, "I don't believe you! It is TMBG", well that might be a different story. -Matt From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 12:45:56 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id MAA70189 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 12:45:56 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from x18.boston.juno.com (x18.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id MAA70180 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 12:45:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from tmbgirl@juno.com) From: tmbgirl@juno.com Received: (from tmbgirl@juno.com) by x18.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id D942Y253; Sat, 08 May 1999 12:45:39 EDT To: miker@stardatecomputer.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 10:31:09 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? Message-ID: <19990508.104104.4806.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> References: <19990507.120245.4598.3.TMBgirl@juno.com>, <199905071838.OAA183210@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,5-13 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com >"Alright! This is too silly! Now stop it, STOP IT!" hehee... sorry kids...i didn't intend for this thread to get so out of hand for...uhm...i guess it's the third time now. They say some jokes just lose that entertaining quality after the first time they're told. NEVER! play it again, boys! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html CONCERT CALANDER - thru 6/12 (at last!): 5/10 - Kottonmouth Kings 5/22 - Chris Isaak 5/24 - Fun Lovin Criminals 6/7 - Bob Dylan and Paul Simon 6/9 - Elvis Costello 6/10 - Moxy Fruvous 6/12 - Allman Bros. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 13:25:01 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA71337 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 13:25:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id NAA71292 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sat, 8 May 1999 13:22:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 12:24:57 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37347369.97589F6E@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <19990507.120245.4598.3.TMBgirl@juno.com>, <199905071838.OAA183210@f04n07.cac.psu.edu>, <3733FD6E.189C398F@stardatecomputer.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa? Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bob Scott The Great Quux wrote: > Jason Fickley wrote: > > Yeah, no kidding. It's supposed to be on Superfeuled Freaksicle...or was it > > Insect Hospital? Maybe both. > > Also, did you know there's a hidden track on Factory Showroom? > > Wow, this got so totally silly that if I were Graham Chapman and I had a > general's outfit around here somewhere, I'd put it on and yell > > "Alright! This is too silly! Now stop it, STOP IT!" Those aren't even proper 'Keep Left' signs! Bob "It's a man's life posting Monty Python content messages!" SCott From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 14:05:47 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id OAA72570 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 14:05:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from dogbert.ucdavis.edu (root@dogbert.ucdavis.edu [169.237.105.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id OAA72559 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 14:05:45 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu) Received: from localhost (nnicole@localhost [127.0.0.1]) by dogbert.ucdavis.edu (8.9.3/UCD3.13.10) with ESMTP id LAA27375 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 11:05:44 -0700 (PDT) Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 11:05:43 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson X-Sender: nnicole@dogbert.ucdavis.edu To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection In-Reply-To: <199905080604.CAA54148@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Nicole Carlson On Sat, 8 May 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > So I don't really know what the deal is with these extra Factory > Showroom recordings. Surely, everything that is recorded doesn't > necessarily make it onto an album, no matter who the band is. But > I like to speculate on what might have been. Well, hey--witness Weep Day. The version on TTEY sounds more like a studio recording than a DAS recording (to my humble ears, anyway), meaning that they'd recorded it at some point (Lincoln era? Self-titled era? Anyone want to take a stab at it? All I can say with reasonable confidence is that it sounds pre-Flood.) but never got around to putting it on an album. > didn't fit with the 'flow' of Factory Showroom. How "I Can Hear You" fits > and some of the others don't is beyond me. > At 03:43 PM 5/7/99, Matt James wrote: > >I tend to believe that songs were left off for time's sake. I heard the "didn't fit in" argument back when FS was first released. It struck me then (and it still does, I guess) that it was a weak argument--six songs were left off, thirteen went on. That's a mighty large percentage, thinks Nicole. And, darn it, even though it's not a TMBG song, they really should have put Careless Santa on there. > Derek A Klein wrote: > > I'm pretty sure what Flans meant by this is that it's not the slow, > > Flans-singing-a capella version. It's a DAS where there is no music, just > > Flansburgh singing. > Probably right. My sister and I love to sing that song just > to annoy people; she'll be happy to hear of the new version. > But for the record, as to the singer (of the embryonic > version), I'm pretty sure you misspelled Linnell there. ;) I know Linnell sings the new one (the FS sessions one) (vastly superior to the DAS, IMHO) (one of the rare cases where one wrote it and the other sings it (the only other such song I can think of offhand being Subliminal)), but are you sure he sang the DAS one? I'll have to dig up my copy of PODAS, but I thought it was Flans... oh well. > What? They're not flowing in female deer? What is the world coming > to when musicians can't run in the wild with the does? Running with the does? Is this some kind of cut-rate program for people who can't afford to run with the wolves? > I know a lot of people have been disappointed by the songs included on LTW, > but I have to say that I'm ecstatic! Maybe I Know? Love it! Reprehensible? > Finally, a studio version! Counterfeit Faker? I could listen to that song > all day! The old DAS recordings? My copy of PODAS is like, 68th generation > and sounds it. So I just want to say that I, for one, am really happy about > this new album. I'm also interested to see how many people burn it onto CD > and try to sell it on eBay :) Yes, but... but... no What Is Everyone Staring At? ?!?!? Is that song NEVER to see the light of day??? There's no justice in the world! --nicole the wonder nerd *** "And the people came around on Independence Day, and the children let go their balloons and flew away..."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 15:22:51 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA75309 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:22:51 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sumter.awod.com (sumter.awod.com [198.81.225.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id PAA75298 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:22:49 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Received: from ctyner (chs0064.awod.com [208.140.96.64]) by sumter.awod.com (8.8.7/8.8.8) with SMTP id PAA16313 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:22:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Message-Id: <4.1.19990508151935.0093be00@mail.clemson.edu> X-Sender: ctyner@mail.clemson.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.1 Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 15:21:12 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) In-Reply-To: <37344DCC.575B66CA@airmail.net> References: <007a01be990e$952e8b80$183f0904@aah1084-access> <4.1.19990508012358.00938ca0@mail.clemson.edu> <3733FF42.6D4866BC@stardatecomputer.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Adam Tyner At 09:44 AM 5/8/99, Danielle Gaither wrote: > >Um, we would know this how? At any rate, apparently it was Um, because they do interviews and talk about stuff like that. I seem to remember hearing about the acid rock progression of Rat Patrol, but a lot has gone in and out of my mind in the past 3 years. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 15:49:29 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id PAA76142 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:49:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f99.hotmail.com [207.82.250.235]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id PAA76133 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:49:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 67262 invoked by uid 0); 8 May 1999 19:48:56 -0000 Message-ID: <19990508194856.67261.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 144.80.104.94 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Sat, 08 May 1999 12:48:56 PDT X-Originating-IP: [144.80.104.94] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 12:48:56 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; format=flowed; Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Nicole Carlson wrote: >I know Linnell sings the new one (the FS sessions one) (vastly >superior to >the DAS, IMHO) (one of the rare cases where one wrote it and the >other >sings it (the only other such song I can think of offhand being >Subliminal)), but are you sure he sang the DAS one? "The World's Address" was written by Linnell and sung by Flans. I think there was more of that in the early days than there is today. I also know that "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" has music by Linnell and lyrics by Flans. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Linnell usually writes the music first, and then writes lyrics to fit the music. This struck me as a bit odd, since many TMBG songs seem to emphasize the lyrics, with the music being made to fit them. I suppose I can see some of them being written in the Linnell way, though. I don't know how Flans writes songs. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The check's in the mail" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Camper Van Beethoven, Key Lime Pie _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 16:31:21 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA77475 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 16:31:21 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from genesis.valpo.edu (genesis.valpo.edu [152.228.34.18]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id QAA77460 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 16:31:18 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu) Received: from [152.228.55.210] (weh10mac.weh.rh.valpo.edu [152.228.55.210]) by genesis.valpo.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id PAA06253; Sat, 8 May 1999 15:31:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Jeremy Skrenes To: Nicole Carlson Cc: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection In-Reply-To: Message-ID: Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 03:35:21 -0500 X-Mailer: Simeon for MacPPC Version 4.1.4 Build (40) X-Authentication: IMSP MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jeremy Skrenes atually, when i asked flans, during my yet to be posted interview, about long tall weekend and the factory showroom sessions, he admitted to the time issue. sensurround was left off because it sounds too much like tmhfo, but some of the others were left off because they wanted an album that was around 40 minutes. probably a reaction to john henry, which imho could be a bit more streamlined. don't know which songs to take off of it, but it is a bit longish. anyway, time was an issue with fs. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 16:41:05 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id QAA77908 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 16:41:05 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (law2-f70.hotmail.com [216.32.181.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id QAA77898 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 16:41:04 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bjorky@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 31144 invoked by uid 0); 8 May 1999 20:40:21 -0000 Message-ID: <19990508204021.31143.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 24.124.57.57 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Sat, 08 May 1999 13:40:20 PDT X-Originating-IP: [24.124.57.57] From: "Flaming Carrot" To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: volvo commercial Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 15:40:20 CDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; format=flowed; Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Flaming Carrot" hey does anyone know who sings the song in the new volvo c-??? commercial. It sounds a lot like stereolab, but i can't place it. bjorky _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat May 8 19:24:42 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id TAA83057 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 8 May 1999 19:24:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f82.hotmail.com [207.82.250.188]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with SMTP id TAA83048 for ; Sat, 8 May 1999 19:24:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: (qmail 94575 invoked by uid 0); 8 May 1999 23:24:06 -0000 Message-ID: <19990508232406.94574.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 144.80.104.94 by wy1lg.hotmail.com with HTTP; Sat, 08 May 1999 16:24:06 PDT X-Originating-IP: [144.80.104.94] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 16:24:06 PDT Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; format=flowed; Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Jeremy Skrenes wrote: >atually, when i asked flans, during my yet to be posted interview, >about long tall weekend and the factory showroom sessions, he >admitted >to the time issue. sensurround was left off because it sounds too >much >like tmhfo, but some of the others were left off because they wanted >an >album that was around 40 minutes. probably a reaction to john henry, >which imho could be a bit more streamlined. don't know which songs >to >take off of it, but it is a bit longish. anyway, time was an issue >with fs. Can an album ever really be "too long"? I'm speaking from the perspective of a listener here, not from that of a band, but I'd imagine that a fan would want as much music as possible on an album. It's not as if there's any law saying that you have to listen to an album all at once. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "One degree shy of sadistic" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun May 9 00:35:03 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id AAA93811 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 9 May 1999 00:35:03 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id AAA93756 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 9 May 1999 00:34:50 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from GATEWAY by ussenterprise.ufp.org with netnews for tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg-list@tmbg.org) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 23:44:45 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7h339a$2rhr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org References: <19990508232406.94574.qmail@hotmail.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jay G." Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message ... > > Can an album ever really be "too long"? I'm speaking from the perspective > of a listener here, not from that of a band, but I'd imagine that a fan > would want as much music as possible on an album. It's not as if there's > any law saying that you have to listen to an album all at once. Actually, on the XTC mailing list one member complained about thier album Nunsuch as being too long, much prefering the shorter album lengths as they were on vinyl. Generally speaking, an album is a presentation of a collection of songs as a whole. Bands usually arrange the songs in an order that is pleasing to listen to from start to finish. There are execptions to this - double albums being one, EPs being the other - where the time frame is changed. But usually, I think the bands create albums with the intention of them being listened to in one sitting. Now, in practice, this may be different, much as one stops videos midway through to take bathroom breaks, make a snack, or go to sleep. Still, the intention is the same. Well, one may argue, that was in the old days of vinyl, why still stick to that framework? Well, much like most people don't like to sit through movies more than 2 hours long, people don't seem to like albums of excessive length either. Now you might argue that it's more content for your dollar, but after a while, people grow restless. I can understand why TMBG left off songs that sound alike, like Sensurround sounds similar to 'Till My Head Falls Off'. As I understand it, Electra didn't want to put out Reprehensible for some strange reason. The other songs, although of no worse quality - some like Certain People I enjoy imensly - for some reason did not fit into the album as they saw it. No worries, these tracks are finally seeing the light of day now. Stop being greedy for more new songs all the time, and enjoy the ones you have. -Jay From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun May 9 01:14:36 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id BAA95212 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:14:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo23.mx.aol.com (imo23.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.67]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA95203 for ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:14:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Carroll387@aol.com) From: Carroll387@aol.com Received: from Carroll387@aol.com (260) by imo23.mx.aol.com (IMOv20) id iOHJa16495 for ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:13:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <21aa2f5b.2466735e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:13:02 EDT Subject: Fwd: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="part1_21aa2f5b.2466735e_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 10 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Carroll387@aol.com --part1_21aa2f5b.2466735e_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit --part1_21aa2f5b.2466735e_boundary Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Disposition: inline Return-path: Carroll387@aol.com From: Carroll387@aol.com Full-name: Carroll387 Message-ID: <21aa2f5b.24667335@aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:12:21 EDT Subject: Re: How They write songs (was Re: TMBG: Re: Rat Patrol) To: elrond@charm.net MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 10 In a message dated 5/8/99 9:07:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, elrond@charm.net writes: << Now, if you went up to a friend and said, "This is not TMBG" and played Mono Puff or a solo Linnell song and they said, "I don't believe you! It is TMBG", well that might be a different story. -Matt >> Well Matt, in fact I did claim to a friend or two that it's was none TMBG stuff and they could believe it. In fact, one person even commented that he didn't want to listen to the Johns solo stuff cuz it was silly to think that it sounded so much like TMBG stuff and a John was missin' in action so to speak. Anyway.. "it a different story." ~Carroll387 --part1_21aa2f5b.2466735e_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun May 9 01:19:19 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id BAA95567 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:19:19 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from po8.andrew.cmu.edu (PO8.ANDREW.CMU.EDU [128.2.10.108]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA95558 for ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:19:18 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lps+@andrew.cmu.edu) Received: (from postman@localhost) by po8.andrew.cmu.edu (8.8.5/8.8.2) id BAA12833 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:19:15 -0400 (EDT) Received: via switchmail; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:19:15 -0400 (EDT) Received: from pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:18:23 -0400 (EDT) Received: from pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:18:19 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mms.4.60.Jun.27.1996.03.02.53.sun4.51.EzMail.PC.3.2.CUILIB.3.45.SNAP.NOT.LINKED.pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4m.54 via MS.5.6.pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4_51; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:18:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:18:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song selection In-Reply-To: <19990508194856.67261.qmail@hotmail.com> References: <19990508194856.67261.qmail@hotmail.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-May-99 Re: TMBG: Thoughts on song .. by Nathan M. DeHoff@hotmail > "The World's Address" was written by Linnell and sung by Flans. I think > there was more of that in the early days than there is today. I also know > that "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head" has music by Linnell and lyrics I believe Linnell also wrote the chorus to Puppet Head and handed Flans a partial song and said "why don't you fill in the verses?" Other examples: Cowtown was written entirely by Linnell and sung by Flans. Subliminal is Linnell's music and Flans' lyrics (lyrics came first) Shoehorn with Teeth was pretty much a joint effort, I think - and if you listen carefully to the verses, the first one, sung by Flans, seems to fit Linnell's shy personality, while the second verse, sung by Linnell, seems to fit well with Flans' whole "rock" attitude. (I'm pretty sure the music is Linnell's, though, since it's written for Clarinet and Saxophone) > by Flans. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Linnell usually writes > the music first, and then writes lyrics to fit the music. This struck me if anything, it's probably more simultaneous. I know that I, personally, have trouble just coming up with lyrics - because I worry if they'll "fit" in the music I haven't written yet, and such stuff like that. But if I can audialize them and sing them to myself, it's much easier. now I just need to remember to write them down. Linnell said in one interview that he'll usually sit down at a keyboard and he'll improvise, and usually stuff will come to him. > a bit odd, since many TMBG songs seem to emphasize the lyrics, with the > music being made to fit them. I suppose I can see some of them being > written in the Linnell way, though. I don't know how Flans writes songs. I'd guess that a lot of times, random music gets written - it's easy to come up with a form. Take a song like S-E-X-X-Y, for example. Aside from the instrumental intro and outtro, the rest of the song has two different parts repeated over and over again. That's one of the simpler examples. Ana Ng, though, has three distinct verses, three distinct choruses plus a fade, and a bridge. standard song form. so basically they're probably coming up with music and forms and saying "Hey, I think these lyrics would fit that music" for those cases in which they do claim to write the music first. not necessarily with a particular idea in mind. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun May 9 01:33:47 1999 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) id BAA96213 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from po7.andrew.cmu.edu (PO7.ANDREW.CMU.EDU [128.2.10.107]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.2/8.9.2) with ESMTP id BAA96204 for ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:45 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lps+@andrew.cmu.edu) Received: (from postman@localhost) by po7.andrew.cmu.edu (8.8.5/8.8.2) id BAA03776 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:44 -0400 (EDT) Received: via switchmail; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:44 -0400 (EDT) Received: from pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:05 -0400 (EDT) Received: from pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:05 -0400 (EDT) Received: from mms.4.60.Jun.27.1996.03.02.53.sun4.51.EzMail.PC.3.2.CUILIB.3.45.SNAP.NOT.LINKED.pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4m.54 via MS.5.6.pcs9.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4_51; Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 01:33:05 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: direct from brooklyn Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon so, I just picked up the new video compilation today, and have some interesting thoughts on it (this should start some interesting discussion): I observed a long time ago that Linnell seems to always wear solid white or black in the videos. I now understand why. Blue screen. It would suck for the background images to appear all over his shirt. (actually, I think his "white" shirt in Snail Shell might very well be blue) dr worm. that is such a drug video. and I wonder why Hal isn't in it but the rest of the band is, even Dan Hickey, who didn't play on the album version of the song... did they remaster Snail Shell or what? the color seems so much brighter than the first time I saw it. Maybe it's just that the other one is a second-generation tape (or more)... Linnell's playing in The Guitar. This gives me a new insight to the bass parts on Apollo 18 - it's *all* picked. No fingered bass to be found. And it's their first album that has actual bass, rather than synth. (either that or this is synth but much better quality than the first three) The Statue Got Me High. I wonder how many times Linnell looks at his right hand while playing the accordion. (see my later comment about accuracy in videos) Istanbul. Where did all that extra violin at the beginning come from? Studio outtake? Hotel Detective. All the frames where Linnell is in the foreground and Flans in back are reversed. Linnell parts his hair the other way and Flans isn't right handed. I wonder if this was intentional... Linnell obviously had no clue how to act. (it seems he didn't expect himself to ever be making a music video) or it was intentional. it's often hard to tell. They'll Need a Crane. These guys are really particular about the playing in their videos. If I had to guess randomly, I'd say that most bands probably don't pay too much attention to how precise, say, the drummer is in videos. Watch this one. He's actually playing the song as it is on the album... Puppet Head. What a non-music-video. Ok, so it was their first try, and they had a small budget, but I never realized how strange it was. Careless Santa: a good choice for the secret video. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #17-9 *****************************