Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 1 Tuesday, 1 June 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: New Album!? TMBG: Updates to my webpage TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Re: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Re: TMBG: Petition Status ALMOST TMBG: Ginsberg joins Ween Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 02:37:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: New Album!? at They Might Be Giants. com i saw that they were back in a studio recording stuff. Does this mean that a new cd is coming out soon?! I've been gone for a month so i'm totally lost. can someone fill me in!? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990531095105.60629.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Updates to my webpage Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 02:51:05 PDT While looking through my saved mail, I noticed that I had several TMBG List posts containing lyrics to recent TMBG songs. I have placed these lyrics (for "4 Of 2," "Rest Awhile," "She Thinks She's Edith Head," and "What Is Everyone Staring At?") on my webpage, giving credit to the posters when possible. I have also placed my long, pointless list of TMBG songs online. I realize that neither of these updates is all that important, but they're both TMBG-related, and it had been almost a month since my page had been updated. Anyway, if you want to look at my page, the address is in my signature. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I got sick of my stinking clothes" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 05:16:39 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37525377.A6E6C89@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology Bob Scott wrote: > Well, I've basically given up on Seinfeld. They haven't released a new > episode for over a year now, and their live performances are always lacking > and my feet hurt and wah wah wah! :P woah, that's a dangerous amount of satire here.. ;) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990531163904.45442.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:39:01 GMT >From: Mike Leffel >Reply-To: Mike Leffel >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) >Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:13:12 -0500 Wow! My posting was commented upon by the one, the only Mike 'continually putting some inane thing here' Leffel! I can now die happy. ;) >Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > > > >From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" > > >And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a > > >movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... > > > > I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. > > > >Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!! Hey, we need everyone we can get in the fight against Big Brother...;P > >Mike "Viridian City Red" Leffel You're just jealous of my nickname because you didn't think of it first ;) > > --------- > > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: > >What's that Blue thing doing here!!?? AIEEEE!!! ^_^ *rotfls* You know, now I can tie my nickname into three things I really enjoy. I had forgotten about the TMBG tie-in! :P *dons her flame-retardant suit that also repels tomatoes* > > "When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your >body off a building?" > > ---TMBG > > ---------- > > >YES! Or a well situated high school in nebraska. Well, that settles it then. *climbs onto the roof of her house* The ever-present, ever-lurking, ever-wierd one, Julie :) --------- The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: "Laidback uptown turnaround people lie. Laidback uptown turnaround people wear disguises. They say: sorry -- a word we only use too late. Sorry is a word that only ever means forgive my yesterdays. ---Moody Blues ---------- _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:37:53 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374EE281.86F16C7A@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: A sincere apology The Great Quux wrote: > > Bob Scott wrote: > > Well, I've basically given up on Seinfeld. They haven't released a new > > episode for over a year now, and their live performances are always lacking > > and my feet hurt and wah wah wah! :P > I've been to over eighty bazillion Seinfeld concerts and I can't say I've liked a one. Now that BANYA, there's a live performance! I mean, who can compare the drippy "Who ARE these people?" routine with the lyrical "Ovaltine" sketch? Classic! > woah, that's a dangerous amount of satire here.. ;) > Not only that, BobScott lives in Laputa! (lifts up sign that says 'joke') Mike "THE WHORE! THE WHORE! IT BE BIG AND SCARE ME!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:49:35 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374EE53F.1582179D@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > >From: Mike Leffel > >Reply-To: Mike Leffel > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) > >Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:13:12 -0500 > > Wow! My posting was commented upon by the one, the only Mike 'continually > putting some inane thing here' Leffel! I can now die happy. ;) > INANE?! That is a *PICASSO*!!! I don't put them just everywhere!! > >Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > > > > > >From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" > > > >And, on a not-very-related note, was the book 1984 ever made into a > > > >movie? That would be an interesting one, methinks... > > > > > > I think TNT is making a movie based on 1984. > > > > > > >Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!! > Hey, we need everyone we can get in the fight against Big Brother...;P > Go! Go! Go Bill Gates! Uh. Who invented those viewscreens again? And why did I just steal a bar of chocolate from my mother? OLD MAN SHOPKEEP!! FAT WOMAN PUTTING UP LAUNDRY! PROLES! PROLES! GIN! GAAAA! > > > >Mike "Viridian City Red" Leffel > You're just jealous of my nickname because you didn't think of it first ;) > Mike "Am Not!" Leffel ---like I need a fighting starfish anyway! :( > > > --------- > > > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: > > > >What's that Blue thing doing here!!?? AIEEEE!!! ^_^ > *rotfls* You know, now I can tie my nickname into three things I really > enjoy. Mustard. Rubella. Soft Erasers. > I had forgotten about the TMBG tie-in! :P *dons her flame-retardant > suit that also repels tomatoes* > So does WIERDO refer to FOZZIE or GONZO? ^__^ Mike "Or Weird Al. That's all my guesses. I'll leave you be." Leffel ----Much saner now. In some respects. But not all. > --------- > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: > "Laidback uptown turnaround people lie. > Laidback uptown turnaround people wear disguises. > They say: sorry -- a word we only use too late. > Sorry is a word that only ever means forgive my yesterdays. > ---Moody Blues > ---------- > Ah, my favorite song of theirs: I wonder where you are I wonder if you think about me Once upon a time In my wildest dreams. (aaah, aaaah ahh, aaaaaah aaah, ahh) ---Same Emotionally Unstable Color Scheme ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:14:24 -0500 From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Message-ID: Organization: The University of Iowa Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com On Fri, 28 May 1999, simon wrote: > I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > album It's FOUR albums y' daft greedy weevil. > (dial-a-song tracks don't count) Why in John's name NOT? Did YOU previously have a way to listen to "The Big Big Whoredom" in your living room any time you wanted? > or STD (One or two new tracks) Funny... MY copy of "Severe Tire Damage" has 24 new tracks. Even the "previously available" tracks gleaned from "Live!!NYC!" have been remixed. > and I don't want any solo albums I'll take your copy of "State Songs" than. -Rev. Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:29:28 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com In article , "Christopher M. Stangl" writes >On Fri, 28 May 1999, simon wrote: > >> I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an >> album > > It's FOUR albums y' daft greedy weevil. I know. I said I didn't consider it *an* album. That means one album in case you didn't realise > >> (dial-a-song tracks don't count) > > Why in John's name NOT? Did YOU previously have a way to listen to >"The Big Big Whoredom" in your living room any time you wanted? No. But Something that was written about 10 years ago can only be considered "previously unreleased material". If they wrote 20 songs and had them on DAS for a year then I wouldn't care. > >> or STD (One or two new tracks) > > Funny... MY copy of "Severe Tire Damage" has 24 new tracks. Even >the "previously available" tracks gleaned from "Live!!NYC!" have been >remixed. But you'll notice that you can find the same songs (abeit different arrangments) on other albums with a few exceptions) > >> and I don't want any solo albums > > I'll take your copy of "State Songs" than. Please do and when you do tell me where you found it cause I'd hate to have had a copy all this time and not realised it. -- simon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:20:25 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7iuqa8$1g0j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com simon wrote in message news:YLDHdIAYMuU3EwnM@wezland.demon.co.uk... > In article 100000@red.weeg.uiowa.edu>, "Christopher M. Stangl" > writes > >On Fri, 28 May 1999, simon wrote: > > > >> I just want a fully fleged album. Sorry J&J I don't consider Then an > >> album > > > > It's FOUR albums y' daft greedy weevil. > > I know. I said I didn't consider it *an* album. That means one album in > case you didn't realise > > > >> (dial-a-song tracks don't count) > > > > Why in John's name NOT? Did YOU previously have a way to listen to > >"The Big Big Whoredom" in your living room any time you wanted? > > No. But Something that was written about 10 years ago can only be > considered "previously unreleased material". If they wrote 20 songs and > had them on DAS for a year then I wouldn't care. Why does the time span matter? The point is that the tracks were unavailable. Why do you exclude DAS tracks, when you admit that all TMBG songs started out as DAS tracks? > >> or STD (One or two new tracks) > > > > Funny... MY copy of "Severe Tire Damage" has 24 new tracks. Even > >the "previously available" tracks gleaned from "Live!!NYC!" have been > >remixed. > > But you'll notice that you can find the same songs (abeit different > arrangments) on other albums with a few exceptions) As I mentioned before, over half of the STD tracks, 13, *are* new songs, ie unavailable on other albums. That's as many tracks as there were on Factory Showroom. On a different note, what is with people's overuse of parenthesis, especially when commas could be used just as effectively and cause less confusion. From what simon has written above, there are one too many parenthasis in it. > >> and I don't want any solo albums > > > > I'll take your copy of "State Songs" than. > > Please do and when you do tell me where you found it cause I'd hate to > have had a copy all this time and not realised it. I guess Chris was assuming that, for someone who is so eagerly awaiting the next album, you would've already have exhauseted all other sources of TMBG related material, the Hello CDs being on of them. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:37:52 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7iurb6$1gjs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com simon wrote: > >plus, don't forget the constant touring, the Austin Powers song, the ABC > >TV spots, the Video Collection, and everything else they've been doing. > >As far as I can tell, this has been their busiest year, and if the next > >album > >is bumped a bit back because of it, that's fine. > > > I can live without the touring since they rarely come here. The austin > powers song is good but one isn't enough. I won't see the abc spots > either. Sounds like you're bitter because you're British. Considering you've only been a fan 1.5 years and they've alredy been there to se live, that's not too bad. So far, you're doing as well as some of our State-side friends. As far as the ABC spots, I'm sure they'll be on the next Video Bootleg, which I believe is available in PAL mode. The Austin Power song was done *in addition to* their work on the next album. You'll get your new album, just be patient. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:50:28 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <374F0194.4A3C1C9@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com "Jay G." wrote: > > simon wrote: > > I can live without the touring since they rarely come here. I can live without Alan Turing because what has he decoded for us lately? > The austin > > powers song is good but one isn't enough. I won't see the abc spots > > either. > I had "Dharma Flu" once and saw ABC spots for weeks! And despite my hideous appearance and lack of meat, my nipples remained perky throughout!! Yah! > Sounds like you're bitter because you're British. Considering you've > only been a fan 1.5 years He could just be DARK AND METRIC! ^__^ Mike "AHHHHHHHHHHH! Claritin!" Leffel ----back to the pokemon pinball from whence I came. ((((((((I like parenthesis!)))))))))))))))[[[[[[except EVIL parenthesis like these]]]]]]]]]<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990531180010.0092c770@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 18:02:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Album info from TMBGDot@aol.com At 03:20 PM 5/31/99, Jay G. wrote: > >As I mentioned before, over half of the STD tracks, 13, *are* new songs, ie >unavailable on other albums. That's as many tracks as there were on >Factory Showroom. I can't believe you'd lump the awful sound quality of the Planet of the Apes stuff with the studio recordings. Yeah, they are new recordings, but if they released an album of them farting, that would be all new material too....just because something's new doesn't mean it's worthwhile. -Adam -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990531222105.20578.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:21:04 GMT >From: Mike Leffel >Reply-To: Mike Leffel >To: tmbg-list@TMBG.ORG >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) >Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:49:35 -0500 > > > >Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > > > >From: Mike Leffel > > >Reply-To: Mike Leffel > > >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > >Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. SLOHILTSWALTB (tee hee) > > >Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:13:12 -0500 > > > > Wow! My posting was commented upon by the one, the only Mike >'continually putting some inane thing here' Leffel! I can now die happy. ;) > > > >INANE?! That is a *PICASSO*!!! I don't put them just everywhere!! Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't see someone paying some insane amount for your 'insert here' thingys like I see for a Picasso. Not that I'd pay an insane amount of money for a Picasso either. MC Escher yeah, but not Picasso. > > >Cabbage Patch Kids and Bill Cosby versus Big Brother! AIEEEE!! > > Hey, we need everyone we can get in the fight against Big Brother...;P > > > >Go! Go! Go Bill Gates! Uh. Who invented those viewscreens again? >And why did I just steal a bar of chocolate from my mother? >OLD MAN SHOPKEEP!! FAT WOMAN PUTTING UP LAUNDRY! PROLES! PROLES! GIN! >GAAAA! Gates is evil. Dunno. Dunno again, b'cause you were hungry? *then watches Mike go completely batty* > > > > --------- > > > > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: > > > > > >What's that Blue thing doing here!!?? AIEEEE!!! ^_^ > > *rotfls* You know, now I can tie my nickname into three things I really > > enjoy. > >Mustard. >Rubella. >Soft Erasers. Nope, nope and nope. Sorry. ;) > > I had forgotten about the TMBG tie-in! :P *dons her flame-retardant suit >that also repels tomatoes* > > > >So does WIERDO refer to FOZZIE or GONZO? ^__^ Gonzo of course! :) My BF is more like Fozzie. But his jokes don't bomb. ;P Usually. > >Mike "Or Weird Al. That's all my guesses. I'll leave you be." Leffel >----Much saner now. In some respects. But not all. Uhuh. > > > > --------- > > The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: > > "Laidback uptown turnaround people lie. > > Laidback uptown turnaround people wear disguises. > > They say: sorry -- a word we only use too late. > > Sorry is a word that only ever means forgive my yesterdays. > > ---Moody Blues > > ---------- > > > >Ah, my favorite song of theirs: > >I wonder where you are >I wonder if you think about me >Once upon a time >In my wildest dreams. >(aaah, aaaah ahh, aaaaaah aaah, ahh) Off of Days of Future Passed? :) My alltime fave song is Nights in White Satin...but I enjoy all of their songs :) > ---Same Emotionally Unstable Color Scheme *laughs* That's cute :) --------- The Cerulean Blue Wierdo sez: "Red is grey, and black is white, But we decide which is right, And which is an illusion." ---Moody Blues ---------- _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5cd9178a.2484877c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:46:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Petition Status In a message dated 5/29/99 9:54:07 AM, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: >it already has 46 signatures! Isn't that great?! This might >actually work. you just need...49,954 more! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:37:40 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37536394.354A8BF7@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: ALMOST TMBG: Ginsberg joins Ween Here's some stuff featuring frequently occurring topics that have been on the list, and intertwined with TMBG in general. I think some of the things on here are less than 13 minutes old, so they aren't exactly 'unreleased'. ^_^ No TMBG though. Sorry. _I_ can sing for you though. "Jigglypuff, Jiggly, Puff. Jigglypuff, Jiggly..." Mike "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ" Leffel (I'm _not_ going to marry Jessiebell!) http://www.sonic.net/~goblin/goblin4ever.html ---------- ------ ----------- ---------- ----------- and for some mind-gut-bursting fun: (I have nothing to do with these) (you may have to cut and paste these into your browser instead of clicking) ()()()()()()()()(())()()(()()()())()()) http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofw1.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofw2.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofw3.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofw4.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofw5.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofwst.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofwst2.gif http://members.xoom.com/Walky/fbofwst3.gif ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-1 *****************************