Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 12 Saturday, 12 June 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: is there no pleasing you people? TMBG: Re: is there no pleasing you people? No! TMBG: favourite dans and gloria's message Non-TMBG: Virus warning... TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) TMBG: Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks) Re: TMBG: favorite bert Re: TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) Re: TMBG: The arm of the voodoo doll, and significantly numbered tracks TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) Re: TMBG: favourite dans and gloria's message Re: TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) TMBG: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) ) TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) TMBG: TMBG moments TMBG: Siftin' NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks) TMBG: Need EP/B-Sides for web site Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Re: TMBG: Austin Powers: The Result Re: TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) Re: TMBG: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Kensington (was: is there no Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: TMBG: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: Fairfax, take 2 TMBG: Re: Siftin' Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Re: TMBG: Siftin' TMBG: I'm a Doctor, Not a Corpse! Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <2d7c4624.24921085@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:11:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: is there no pleasing you people? Why is everyone so upset about the song Dr Evil? R E M is on the sound track and i didnt hear a note of their song in the movie. Think of it this way the second most hyped movie of this year opens with AND closes with music from none other than they might be giants. I think thats pretty cool! as for not many lyrics being heard, Flans himself said the song was highly orchestral. I was impressed it was not just two seconds of music. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:27:58 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jqfld$2g6j$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: is there no pleasing you people? No! wrote in message news:2d7c4624.24921085@aol.com... > Why is everyone so upset about the song Dr Evil? R E M is on the sound track > and i didnt hear a note of their song in the movie. Think of it this way > the second most hyped movie of this year opens with AND closes with music > from none other than they might be giants. I think thats pretty cool! as > for not many lyrics being heard, Flans himself said the song was highly > orchestral. I was impressed it was not just two seconds of music. Well, at least REM got on the soundtrack. Odd, hmm.. a big name band gets on the soundtrack, and is not even heard in the movie? wow, what were the record producers thinking? Anyways, we know the song has more vocals since someone had posted the lyrics. When Flans said it was highly orchestral, he didn't mean that it was mostly instrumental, he ment that it has an orchestra playing it. As it is, I'm happy that TMBG had the oppertunity to have this song in the movie, although I do think the movie producers squandered a chance to use the only real AP2 specific song to it's fullest. The thing that bothered me was that they cut the vocals in the beginning so that a Narrator can read the Star Wars'ish text scroll. I mean he's READING THE TEXT! I can read the text fine, why do I need a frickin person reading it for me? Instead, they should've just continued the song right over the text scroll, cutting the narration out. Or would people's brains have melted, listening to music and reading at the same time? PS: The movie's great, but definately only for fans of the first film. PPS: The way they explained away Hurley's character sucked ass. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990611124129.82992.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Crystal Cooper Subject: TMBG: favourite dans and gloria's message Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:41:23 PDT to add to the favourite dans debate, mine would have to be... careless santa! to be serious, i've never seen a dan. oh hold on, yes i have, in the doctor worm video. but i don't know which of the poeple are dans, and which are not. i know which are johns and that's about as much as i know. and i'm no longer the only one on the planet who hasn't seen phanton menace! i saw it tuesday and it blew me away. i didn't think it was very confusing, but apparently it was, because i spent at least an hour trying to explain it to my father. i really regret not going to see the original trilogy on the big screen now. but i have my little special edition box set, so i can go and watch it anytime, but i don't think it's the same, it's like the difference between a live cd and a concert. there's only one week until i can buy my ben folds five tickets for their august 17th show down here in brisbane! oh... wow... << Gloria's message (which isn't really a song, but is the thirteenth track on _Miscellaneous T_). >> well, yeah, but it's track 23 on then:the earlier years. so let's all look for significance in that. wait! there's 2 johns, and 3 dans. 2 and 3 = 23 (sort of). Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "every little child learns if you can't see dreams your eyes are blind" - moxy fruvous e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org Coming Up For Air - Crystal's Ben Folds Five page: http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37611B79.2616FBCA@sevenlands.com> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:21:45 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Non-TMBG: Virus warning... Hi, everyone, I'm not in the habit of dispersing virus alert info, since a lot of e-mail warnings are bogus anyway. But, I work at a software company and we now know this is a legitimate threat. The text below is from Microsoft's website, and Reuters and API have been running stories on this all morning. Just thought I'd try to be of service and make those who don't pay attention to such things aware of this. CN P.S. I usually think anyone who executes or opens an attachment from an unknown source is just being stupid. However, this little guy can address itself from a machine w/ the virus and send to addresses in it's address book. So, the headers, mail server, etc., can make it look like it's from someone you actually know and correspond with. > E-mail Attachment Virus Alert > > Microsoft Corp. has been made aware of a virus circulating on the > Internet called Worm.Explore.Zip that is affecting a number of e-mail > users. The virus is contained in a file attached to an e-mail. The > e-mail message may appear as if it is from an acquaintance and will > contain the following text: > > Hi > I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP. > Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs. > Bye. > > The attachment to this message is an executable file named > "zipped_files.exe". Opening this attachment will run the virus and > may affect data on the users hard drive(s), as well as any mapped > network drives, each time it is executed. It is important to note that > the Worm.Explore.Zip virus does not execute automatically. > Customers receiving this e-mail message should delete it immediately > without opening the attachment and then empty the deleted items > folder. > > As with all virus issues, Microsoft takes this issue very seriously. We > are currently working with the anti-virus community to ensure that > customers are educated on the situation and receive the appropriate > tools to protect themselves. > > Furthermore, Microsoft recommends users install the latest anti-virus > software and keep their digital signatures up to date. Users that > have Attachment Security set to high within Microsoft Outlook's > security settings will receive a warning before attachments run and > should make sure that they know the purpose of attachments before > opening them. > > The following are URLs for anti-virus vendors who > have a fix for the Worm.Explore.Zip issue: > http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/alerts.htm > http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.explore.zip.html > http://www.avertlabs.com/public/datafiles/valerts/vinfo/va10185.asp > > > > > c 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use. > Last Updated: June 10, 1999 > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:41:13 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jr91m$2qug$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) ----- Original Message ----- From: eRiCh > Jay said this: > > > PPS: The way they explained away Hurley's character sucked ass. > > > > If your an honest to god true fan of Austin Powers movies like you said then > that shouldnt bother you, the whole movie made fun of all movie cliches all > the time!!! they knew it was an easy way out that was the point of the > comedy!! eRiCh So just because I happen to be a fan of the movie means I can't have criticisms about parts of the film? TO be a "honest to god true fan" I have to like every scene? How many of us can say we like every single TMBG song, fans that we are? And if we do like every song, is it because they all rock, or is it because we like TMBG so much we blindly think every song the come up with has to be good? I stand by my right to say that the Elizabeth Hurley scene was a stupid way to get rid of her. I agree that the film acknologes that it's stupid, but that's not enough to make up for it. (Okay, from now on I'm going to have SPOILERS, so read at own risk) I mean it's stupid because it completely negates everything that happened in this first film. If Miss Kensington was a fembot, why did she help Powers? Why did she have a mother? ("congradulations Mrs. Kensington, it's a fem-bot" ). I did like the execution of this scene, what with the remote control, the nod to "In like Flint," and the return of the penis enlarger. But really, this was the best way they could get rid of her character? You say the film makes fun of film cliches, which it does, but for the life of me I can't think of a film cliche this scene fits into. So Jay, you say (or maybe not, but for the sake of argument I'm gonna say you do), do you have a better way to get around the fact that Austin was married? As a matter of fact I do. Dr. Evil steals Austins mojo while he's frozen in the past, right? So why didn't they just unfreeze the past Powers and let him solve the case, making it a prequel, an "Episode One" if you will? The Powers from the past would be unwed, allowing for him to have a fling w/ Shagwell, yet still end up w/ Kensington (I hope I'm spelling that right) at the end. Makes sense, and would've still allowed for most all the crazy antics. Actually, when I saw in a preview the scene w/ two Austins, I thought that this was what they were going to do, have the future Austin come back and thaw out the past Austin to help out. This could've led to some interesting bedroom antics, with Shagwell alternately dealing w/ the past Austin, who would come on to her all randy like, and the future Austin, who would be resisting his urges, staying faithful to Vanessa. I dunno, maybe I'm just upset because I liked Elizabeth Hurley better than Heather Graham. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks) Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:41:31 -0400 Yahoo! My copy of Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks)was shipped today. Guess I'll find out what those darn tracks are. :o) Lee Steel ------------------------------ From: Jicholas Wolf Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:29:48 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: favorite bert Message-ID: Last semester, I had a Differential Equations professor named Bert. He had a kick-ass scotish accent, which sounded really nifty when he was describing equations and such. Not that i payed much attention in there... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. Official Vagueness Judge to the TMBG mailing list. On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bert Rubini wrote: > > Now that we've all flipped out about favorite Johns, let's do favorite > > Dans (or other non-Johns, I suppose). > > > I have an even better idea, let's do favorite person named > bert. Only members of this mailing list are eligible. > > bert > ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:28:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) In a message dated 6/11/99 11:34:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: << How many of us can say we like every single TMBG song, fans that we are? >> Um, gee, at this point in time I do happen to like all of TMBG's songs, because I like the fact that TMBG's songs involve very different styles of music, but yet they all retain that same TMBGish feel to them. And I love the bands world view, as is represented in their intelligent lyrics. I think they are masters of social satire and wordplay. If there was ever a certain song by TMBG that I didn't like upon first listen, I found myself liking the song later on. My opinion of the one song I found myself liking the least, "You'll Miss Me," was changed drastically by reading that John Flansburgh meant for that to be a really grotesque song. Now when I listen to YMM, I try to feel the ugliness that John F. was trying to put forth when he recorded it. Most times, when I listen to a TMBG album, I try to take the words and sounds in almost subconsciously, just trying to really go with the feeling or thought/s that the song brings to me personally. Some days, I concentrate on only certain types of songs that reflect a certain mood I'm in. Yet other days, it is solely for the lyrics of a tune that I play it. Karen "I've Got The Music In Me" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com "Muttley! Do Something!" ~ ~ Dick Dastardly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990611171713.16463.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: The arm of the voodoo doll, and significantly numbered tracks Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:17:13 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >Oooh! I know one! "The End of the Tour" is at THE END of John Henry! >How's that? -dex Well, that's certainly a significant position, but that's track number 20, and, as far as I can tell, that number has no significance in the song. Still, that's probably as close as we're going to get to another significantly numbered track. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I have counted all the lines on the road" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:30:04 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3761479C.7D7B13C@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) "Jay G." wrote: > How many of us can say we like every > single TMBG song, fans that we are? And if we do like every song, > is it because they all rock, or is it because we like TMBG so much > we blindly think every song the come up with has to be good? I would like my own television program! Anywho, I can say that I like every TMBG song that I've heard so far, and it's not just because I'm obsessed with their music (although that's probably a minor part of it). When it boils right down to it, practically all of their songs (even Mono Puff's and Linnel's independent work) are extremely well thought out and thought invoking. Every time I hear Siftin', I think about flour. How many other bands do this!? And about Austin Powers 2, it can't be as bad as the state of Nebraska trying to reinstate the teaching of Creationism in all of the schools, somehow mingled with Evolution theory into some mangled heap of non-science. Bah! AKA Bob "Skeptopotamus returns" SCott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990611173150.38770.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: favourite dans and gloria's message Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:31:49 PDT Crystal Cooper wrote: ><< Gloria's message (which isn't really a song, but is the thirteenth track >on _Miscellaneous T_). >> >well, yeah, but it's track 23 on then:the earlier years. so let's all look >for significance in that. wait! there's 2 johns, and 3 dans. 2 and 3 = 23 >(sort of). Didn't TMBG once play a concert on the 23rd of the month, for an audience of 23 people? This wouldn't really have anything to do with Gloria, of course, but it could give some special signficance to this number. Also, if you reverse the digits in the number of footsteps, you get 23! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990611181343.25864.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:13:43 PDT Bob Scott wrote: >Every time I hear Siftin', I think about flour. How many >other bands do this!? Write songs that remind people of flour, you mean? Not all that many, I suppose. Then again, there are some people who think of flour no matter what. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Reminds me of elephants" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:51:54 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jrk7a$pr$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) ) Bob Scott wrote in message news:3761479C.7D7B13C@tmbg.org... > "Jay G." wrote: > > > How many of us can say we like every > > single TMBG song, fans that we are? And if we do like every song, > > is it because they all rock, or is it because we like TMBG so much > > we blindly think every song the come up with has to be good? > > I would like my own television program! > > Anywho, I can say that I like every TMBG song that I've heard so far, and it's > not just because I'm obsessed with their music Okay, I somehow have developed a knack for writing posts that cause replies completely unrelated to the general subject of the post. This thread started w/ me talking about the song "Dr. Evil," it changed into a talk about Liz Hurley's charcter in AP2, and now it's about how all of TMBG songs rock. That said, okay I like all the album tracks too. I didn't always like them all though, some grew on me over time, eg "You'll Miss Me." However, if we extended the list of songs to include the remixes, some might not be to everyones liking, and I do remember certain people bashing the Planet of the Apes bonus tracks. The point I was trying to get across was that even if you like a band, you don't have to like every song they make. Just like even though I liked the movie, I don't have to like every scene in it. Maybe another band would serve as an better example: Radiohead, anyone? > And about Austin Powers 2, it can't be as bad as the state of Nebraska trying to > reinstate the teaching of Creationism in all of the schools, somehow mingled > with Evolution theory into some mangled heap of non-science. Bah! I actually don't mind Creationism being taught as a theory along with Evolution in school. In fact, I think my science teacher brought it up right before she presented evolutionary theory. The problem is that the entire creationism theory can be summed up like this "Some people, usually not scientists, believe that the world was created over a period of seven days a couple of thousand years ago by a supreme diety." Then you move on to evolution. I've heard people argue that creationism isn't given as much time in classes as evolutionary theory. Well, that's because creationism is a simple concept, what else does it consist of besides what's said in that sentence? Other people say it's not given as much validity by teachers. Well, they're science teachers, not theologians. I have no idea how you would combine evolution on creationism together, and to teach it in a science class would be wrong. Am I glad I got out of Nebraska when I did. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:45:18 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) Message-ID: <19990611.144518.23198.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob Scott raved: >Every time I hear Siftin', I think about flour. How many >other bands do this!? Nathan really does remind me of elephants: >Write songs that remind people of flour, you mean? Not all that many, I >suppose. Then again, there are some people who think of flour no matter >what. My creative foods teacher thinks of flour all the time, I believe, as all she does is cook. And have allergies. Oh, and on this "is there no pleasing" topic... I believe that everyone is entitled to have a few complaints - like you don't have to like every song, but good for you if you like them all. But there's a fine line between making criticisms and just all out whining [ex: on a BF5 list I'm on, everyone was complaining that the new album was done in a studio and not Mr. Folds' home, as were the first two. this isn't really criticism, as they didn't have anything to back up the complaint except some cryptic idea that they're "getting away from their roots," but whining, and it's really annoying.]. I hope to see Austin Powers tomorrow, and will be quite happy to hear even a little bit of Dr. Evil. Besides, sometimes movies have more than one soundtrack, perhaps this will be the situation with this song. Or ya'll can just be patient and wait for it to come out elsewhere. Deal with it. Be happy with what you have! I'd give a limb to even hear some of this Long Tall Weekend stuff... ever-sincere, eriKa, we don't gnaw on out kittie. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "kgreenwell@sa.kevric.com" Subject: TMBG: TMBG moments Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:53:26 -0500 Organization: KEVRIC i just wanted to share a TMBG moment i had recently. the laboratory, a bar here in s.a., has swing nights on sundays, with a live band and everything. as we were walking in, i overheard "they might be giants" from a nearby table; of course my radar kicked in, and though i didn't intend to eavesdrop, i heard just enough to know that the band had played a TMBG song. so later, i ask one of the guys in the band, and he said they played Istanbul, which i thought was pretty cool, just sorry i missed it. as it turns out, however, that song was originally recorded by someone else in the 20's or 30's, which i did not know. i can't be the only ignorant one :) i just had to share that. okay, back into camouflage mode kristi i thought it was cool anyway ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906111921.PAA23036@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Siftin' Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:21:35 -0400 (EDT) > Bob Scott wrote: > >Every time I hear Siftin', I think about flour. How many > >other bands do this!? Actually, when I think of flour I think of dough and what rock star is not thinking of dough, moolah, big bucks?? I think every musician has Siftin' on their mind! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:27:17 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Message-ID: <19990611.152717.26790.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Jay G. speculated: >I've heard people argue that creationism isn't given as much time in >classes as evolutionary theory. Well, that's because creationism is >a simple concept, what else does it consist of besides what's said >in that sentence? Actually, as my sophomore year of high school has recently closed, I went through my entire class of biology never learning either creationism nor the theory of evolution. There was about two chapters in my biology book devoted to evolution, and we skipped right over them. I am quite certain that this is due to complaints from parents in years previous, stating they don't want their children believing they came from no monkeys, especially with the high religious folk population in my area. And yet, my teacher didn't try to teach us creationism either - but this is pretty much because I suppose that she probably believes evolution more over creationism. I mean, I know both theories quite well on my own, but I just find it odd that there weren't even any attempts in either direction. Hm. It's a conspiracy to convince the youth of the Ohio Valley that we hatched from eggs... ever-sincere, eriKa, we don't gnaw on OUR kittie, I mean. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901beb44b$f7883bc0$509ea2d1@tk421> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks) Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:49:56 -0700 > Yahoo! My copy of Severe Tire Damage (+bonus Tracks)was shipped today. Guess > I'll find out what those darn tracks are. :o) I hope they dont end up being the planet of the apes stuff all along. eRiCh ------------------------------ From: "Adam Varn" Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:49:26 -500 Subject: TMBG: Need EP/B-Sides for web site Message-id: <37618466.5b.0@alpha> After a little bit of messing with War-FTP, I have set up an FTP server to collect They Might Be Giants EP/B-sides that are not currently commercially available. These songs will replace the studio stuff up at They Might Be Giants - Better Living through Better Music (http://xooming.to/tmbgland) The change comes from an overwhelming response from the members of this list asking to switch the content. Also up is a page that I created to help form as big a list as possible of all known TMBG EP's/B-Sides. I need as much help as possible filling it out, since I really don't know all of the Dial-A-Song stuff. The Great Big Songlist page is up at: http://199.44.121.140/varn2/tmbg/addsong.cfm The FTP server is up at 199.44.121.133 (port 21) Login: tmbg password: tmbg Please upload, because if I do not get many files uploaded, I will keep up the commercial stuff up, something that I know a lot of people don't want. Any ways, thanks for the feedback on what you want to see in a TMBG mp3 site, and please contribute files! Thanks, MrSparkle http://xooming.to/tmbgland ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:08:49 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <376188F1.9AA8C390@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Hi I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP. Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs. Bye. Bob Scott said: > Wah Wah Creationism Wah Wah Nebraska Wah Wah Do It With Cats (Actually, BS wrote a funny little satire against Nebraska going nutty and I'd post it but I doubt he'd say I could, because I don't want to be whipped again. OW! Me hiney!) Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Jay G. speculated: > >I've heard people argue that creationism isn't given as much time in > >classes as evolutionary theory. It only took seven days! Why should it be on a semester test? Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Jay G. speculated: > >Well, that's because creationism is > >a simple concept, what else does it consist of besides what's said > >in that sentence? Flour! Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Hm. It's a conspiracy to convince the youth of the Ohio Valley > that we hatched from eggs... You kids from the Ohio Valley sure do taste good with bacon! Waiting for my thum...er,.. God.. I'm waiting for my God.. Mike "Nebraksa: *NOT* the STATE of the APES" Leffel Don't take my picture! You'll steal my soul!!! GAO! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:56:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Austin Powers: The Result For those who saw Austin Powers, didn't the music keep playing during the voice over? Wouldn't that count as a minute or so? Kay ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:05:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Miss Kensington (was: is there no pleasing...) ><< How many of us can say we like every > single TMBG song, fans that we are? >> hmm.. i don't LOVE all of them.. there are a small handful i will skip over (o do not forsake me, the day, ...particle man) but compared to anything we're inundated with (ricky martin), everything TMBG looks like the best song ever written. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger/index2.html <- now really blurry ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:14:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Kensington (was: is there no In a message dated 6/11/99 1:43:10 PM, Jay@tmbg.org writes: > The point I was trying to get across was that even if you like a band, >you don't have to like every song they make. Just like even though >I liked the movie, I don't have to like every scene in it. "how can you like songs without not liking other songs?" "exactly; you can't have a plate of fillet mingon without the broccoli.." ~ a paraphrased moxy fruvous discussion >Maybe another >band would serve as an better example: Radiohead, anyone? eeeeck.. waitaminute... example for what? because i don't like any of their songs. i just don't get them. i mean, i struggle to NOT be depressed. i don't need that... sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:09:29 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Message-ID: <19990611.200929.7662.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike Leffel said that... >Bob Scott said: > Wah Wah Creationism Wah Wah Nebraska Wah Wah Do It With Cats I'm going to nominate that for Post of the Year. It was beautiful, and touched me deeply. If there is no such award, we should probably make one. And then Senor Leffel said some other stuff: >It only took seven days! Why should it be on a semester test? You'd be surprised what pops up on those tests... "Flatworm phylum? Aw, hell..." >You kids from the Ohio Valley sure do taste good with bacon! The hatching process is horribly tedious, they've got specials about it on Animal Planet. It's crazy! Of course, I'm exempt from that, as I'm actually from Pennsylvania, which means I came from a cabbage patch. Just like those cute dolls! Only not so pudgy. And I have discernable digits. Except for the one I lost in 'Nam... ever-sincere, eriKa, makes Little Debbie look like a pile of puke. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <86bb3d73.2492ff26@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:09:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Hello gang, Just got back from seeing Austin Powers, and you do only get to hear Robyn singing for a bit, then it's only music from Dr. Evil over the Star Wars scripting and narration. Was a little too short to suite my taste, as I would have loved an all-out James Bond-type song and silhouette deal. But so help me, the TMBG references didn't end there...first, Austin says to Mustapha, "That fez looks familiar," or something along those lines...Austin directly mentions The Planet of the Apes...astronauts and moon themes reminiscent of Apollo 18...and to top it all off: Fat Bastard says "Sexy Man, Sexy Man, Doing The Things A Sexy Man Can"?! When I heard that last line, I almost dropped me popcorn...and in grand old TMBG style, a last secret scene was stuck into the end of the movie (The kids missed it, as they had already run for the bathrooms). The cleaning men were laughing at the scene, and they were surprised to hear someone else laugh. They both looked up, and yes, I was the only one who was patient enough to wait till the very end, watching from the back doorway of the theatre :-) The Dr. Evil song is sung again at the end while the ending credits are rolling, and TMBG and Robyn "Goldie" Goldwasser (Maybe a cute reference to Goldfinger? Or is that her actual nickname?) are mentioned first in the list of artists who contributed to the film's music. The whole experience just left me smiling, feeling like They were included in an ever so subtle way. I could almost see the Johns smiling at all of us who would pick up on the clues --- but I wonder if it was Mike Myers' idea to stick any of it in (oh, behave, I didn't mean it like that!), as he is known to be somewhat of a TMBG fan himself? Karen "Doing the things a popsicle can" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0rMQ=Ue00UwC16_Fw0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:16:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Fairfax, take 2 just got back from the Fairfax Fair, where TMBG played for the second time... note to self: kill the organizers. three years ago, TMBG headlined on Friday night, and played a full set. this time they "opened" and played about half as long. I attempted to tape, but my father apparently doesn't take good enough care of his equipment to know that the battery packs were completely dead, especially the one that would have lasted for what turned out to be the entire length of the show. and I had charged that one today. damn. so I have some of the show on tape, and the quality is... average as TMBG shows go. probably unlistenable for the hard core Fruvous bootleg collectors in the audience. :) I got a copy of the setlist, and a copy of the in house sound guy's "cheat sheet" which has some odd things on it, including Linnell's name misspelled about 10 times. so here it is: (started with pre-recorded Dr. Evil) ANGEL DR WORM EDITH ISTANBUL SO LOUD / BIRD SPY / OLDER POLK ACTUAL TWIST SHOE ANA PARTICLE (POLKA) NYC ------- (ENCORE? TIME) GUITAR (NO ONE?) SUN ---------- FAIRFAX VA 6/11/99 they didn't play POLKA, NO ONE, or SUN, but they did everything else, including the skipping CD version of Shoehorn. As far as what I got on tape... since I didn't realize the battery wouldn't work at first, and had to switch, it comes in during She's an Angel, cuts off somewhere in Birdhouse, then starts up again, and cuts off again in Twisting, and that's all the juice I was able to squeeze out of the batteries I had left. I took some pictures, and since it was bright out (they kept complaining about being blinded by the "big spotlight in the back." and by the end of the show the sun had gone down and "we can see again!") my pictures should be decent, although I was off to the side, and had to act quickly a lot of the time since they like to move around. Dan Miller tried the acoustic guitar for Istanbul, but it wasn't working, so he did the intro on the electric. this was my first time hearing some of the new songs in a "good quality" venue (i.e. not a bootleg) and I thought they were quite good, especially It's So Loud in Here. That's all for now. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:01:50 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3761CD9E.F44CA8CD@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Siftin' Matt James wrote: > > Bob Scott wrote: > > >Every time I hear Siftin', I think about flour. How many > > >other bands do this!? > Actually, when I think of flour I think of dough and what rock > star is not thinking of dough, moolah, big bucks?? I think > every musician has Siftin' on their mind! Is this a cryptic message regarding the next major TMBG album, 'Matt's Life Savings'? I think it might just be. Or perhaps it's my old war wound... AKA Bob "Here comes the parade!" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:17:01 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3761D12D.4DA574A8@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Mike Leffel said that... > >Bob Scott said: > > Wah Wah Creationism Wah Wah Nebraska Wah Wah Do It With Cats I specifically recall not using the words "Wah Wah" in such a context. And the Cats thing... Well, that'd take some 'splainin'. (Which would involve the name Lucy, the happy fossil!) > I'm going to nominate that for Post of the Year. It was beautiful, and > touched me deeply. If there is no such award, we should probably make > one. I'd like to thank the TMBG list, and Cap'n eriKa rae especially for creating this award for my not liking the fact that my state is trying to take a step backwards scientifically. I don't dispute that people should have the right to learn Creationism, but isn't that basically dealt with well enough in the simplest of terms, as Jay (I think it was Jay) mentioned in another message floating around out there? Wait... A large procession is waving their torches outside my door... > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > makes Little Debbie look like a pile of puke. Well, you must be the tiniest little girl in Yorkshire! (Actual size?) AKA Bob "Who got to see 'The Prisoner on TV Land the other night, and is happy because of that" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:46:52 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Miss Message-ID: <19990611.234653.4758.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob Scott gave his thanks: > I'd like to thank the TMBG list, and Cap'n eriKa rae especially >for creating this award for my not liking the fact that my state is trying to >take a step backwards scientifically. I've never been thanked for anything in a real speech before. I'm so touched. Now I'm all ferklempt. Talk amongst yourselves... Honestly, as close as I've gotten to learning about evolution in school is when we learned about social darwinism in my world history class. "Yeah, you guys know Darwin right? He said some... stuff -- ANYWAY! Moving on to the enlightened monarchs.. Flatworm phylums! I LOVE JOMO KIMYATA!" >Wait... A large procession is waving their torches outside my door... I won't let them dance on your casket. They may dance around it, but that's beyond my control... >Well, you must be the tiniest little girl in Yorkshire! (Actual size?) Yes, but I seem much bigger. No, wait. I really don't. ever-sincere, eriKa, sick of repeating "no thanks, i don't smoke." "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:10:51 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jskvm$k7n$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? wrote in message news:86bb3d73.2492ff26@aol.com... > Hello gang, > > Just got back from seeing Austin Powers, and you do only get to hear > Robyn singing for a bit, then it's only music from Dr. Evil over the Star > Wars scripting and narration. Was a little too short to suite my taste, as I > would have loved an all-out James Bond-type song and silhouette deal. But so > help me, the TMBG references didn't end there...first, Austin says to > Mustapha, "That fez looks familiar," or something along those lines... How is this a reference to TMBG? > Austin directly mentions The Planet of the Apes... Or this could have simply been a direct reference to the Planet of the Apes. > astronauts and moon themes reminiscent of Apollo 18... Does anyone remember the posts about TMBG references in Futurama a few months back? : ) > and to top it all off: Fat Bastard says "Sexy Man, > Sexy Man, Doing The Things A Sexy Man Can"?! > When I heard that last line, I almost dropped me popcorn Okay, this does sound like a TMBG reference. > ...and in grand old TMBG style, a last secret scene > was stuck into the end of the movie I saw this scene as well, it was rather funny. I was glad I decided to stay to the end of the credits, as the friends I was with gave up after the second scene during the credits. > The cleaning men were laughing at the scene, and they > were surprised to hear someone else laugh. They both looked up, and yes, I > was the only one who was patient enough to wait till the very end, watching > from the back doorway of the theatre :-) Oddly enough, I was in the back of the theatre when I saw it too, although there were still plenty of people still in the theatre waiting as well. >The Dr. Evil song is sung again at > the end while the ending credits are rolling, and TMBG and Robyn "Goldie" > Goldwasser (Maybe a cute reference to Goldfinger? Or is that her actual > nickname?) are mentioned first in the list of artists who contributed to the > film's music. Well, first in the list on the left side of the screen at least. And it only makes sense, since their song was the first to be played. > The whole experience just left me smiling, feeling like They > were included in an ever so subtle way. I could almost see the Johns smiling > at all of us who would pick up on the clues I'm sure they had no part in any of the scenes, and they probably haven't even seen the completed film yet. > --- but I wonder if it was Mike Myers' idea to stick any of it in (oh, > behave, I didn't mean it like that!), as he is known to be somewhat of a TMBG > fan himself? Well, I'm sure Myers had a part in them being asked to do the opening theme, as well as the line Fat Bastard says, since Myers played Fat Bastard. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990612002421.00922190@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:30:10 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? I thought it was more of a reference to the '60s Spider Man theme... With the thick accent, I thought he was saying "Sexy Man, Sexy Man, Does Whatever A Sexy Man Can", although I could be wrong. It makes more sense to me anyway, since "sexy" has the same number of syllables as "spider", so it fits the song better. Also, I would venture that more people are familiar with the "Spider Man" theme than "Particle Man", although that necessarily doesn't mean anything either (considering that both parts one and two contain winks to "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls", which isn't something the majority of today's moviegoers would get). -Adam > and to top it all off: Fat Bastard says "Sexy Man, > Sexy Man, Doing The Things A Sexy Man Can"?! > When I heard that last line, I almost dropped me popcorn -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:15:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Siftin' Message-ID: <19990612.003737.-237595.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Hmmm, Siftin', or at least the instrumental part reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide. Or at least the scene in the T.V. series where the guide talks about The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, the music in the background seems rather similar with the Boopa Loopa Boo. Anyway, I'm sure that the RATEOTU uses galactic mega flour in some of their foods. Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:43:58 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3761E58E.C2316163@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: I'm a Doctor, Not a Corpse! He's DEAD, Jim! Mike "R.I.P. DeForrest Kelly" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:02:29 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Message-id: <37622225.6425@wmich.edu> > I thought it was more of a reference to the '60s Spider Man theme... With > the thick accent, I thought he was saying "Sexy Man, Sexy Man, Does > Whatever A Sexy Man Can", although I could be wrong. > > It makes more sense to me anyway, since "sexy" has the same number of > syllables as "spider", so it fits the song better. Also, I would venture > that more people are familiar with the "Spider Man" theme than "Particle > Man" Are you implying that TMBG got the theme for Particle Man FROM the Spider Man theme? Think about it.... Particle man fights all the other strange beings, the parody being that particle (and person man.... particle mans evil twin?) always lose.... and the theme resembles Spider Man... WOW ~Sarah, who is up way past her bedtime ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-12 ******************************