Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 13 Sunday, 13 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: (no subject) TMBG: ...back on this day... Re: TMBG: ...back on this day... Re: TMBG: ...back on this day... Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: Meet James Ensor Re: TMBG: Meet James Ensor TMBG: song? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <4.1.19990612101605.00919ed0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:17:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? I meant that Fat Bastard's song was from the Spider-Man theme, but...I coulda sworn I read somewhere that Particle Man was inspired by the Spider Man theme. -Adam At 02:02 AM 6/12/99, Sarah wrote: > >Are you implying that TMBG got the theme for Particle Man FROM the >Spider Man theme? Think about it.... Particle man fights all the other >strange beings, the parody being that particle (and person man.... >particle mans evil twin?) always lose.... and the theme resembles Spider >Man... -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:15:11 EDT Subject: TMBG: (no subject) Hey everyone! The 12th of June has arrived!!! Which marks the day that many cool events happened. For starters it was back on this day in 1923 that Harry Houdini thrilled a large New York audience by struggling free from a straightjacket while hanging head-down 40 feet above the ground! Also on this day our 40th president (George Bush) was born in 1924. ...Happy Birthday George! But I think the coolest thing that today brings is that this is the date that Mr. John Linnell was born! Happy Birthday John! This is only day you can't sing "It's Not My Birthday". ;p And Happy Birthday to those on this list who's birthday falls on this day too! :) Okay. That about it for me. But I hope I see everyone on the 20th! Take care. Bye. ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: <4d8648ef.2493e2e3@aol.com> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:20:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: ...back on this day... Hey everyone! The 12th of June has arrived!!! Which marks the day that many cool events happened. For starters it was back on this day in 1923 that Harry Houdini thrilled a large New York audience by struggling free from a straightjacket while hanging head-down 40 feet above the ground! Also on this day our 40th president (George Bush) was born in 1924. ...Happy Birthday George! But I think the coolest thing that today brings is that this is the date that Mr. John Linnell was born! Happy Birthday John! This is only day you can't sing "It's Not My Birthday". ;p And Happy Birthday to those on this list who's birthday falls on this day too! :) Okay. That about it for me. But I hope I see everyone on the 20th! Take care. Bye. ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:27:32 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: ...back on this day... Message-ID: <29345-37628A74-19223@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-536598011-11208 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Hmmm, this is kinda' freaky. Houdini dangled 40 feet above the ground, Bush was the 40th president, and John Linnell turns 40. What's the signifacance of the number 40 and June 12th? Or is this just an odd coincedence? -dex --WebTV-Mail-536598011-11208 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:23:45 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id JAA13598 for ; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:23:44 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id MAA43181; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:06:19 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:06:18 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id MAA43166 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:06:18 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo22.mx.aol.com (imo22.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.66]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id MAA43157 for ; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:06:17 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Carroll387@aol.com) From: Carroll387@aol.com Received: from Carroll387@aol.com (3877) by imo22.mx.aol.com (IMOv20) id iYQIa21866 for ; Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:20:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <4d8648ef.2493e2e3@aol.com> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:20:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: ...back on this day... To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 13 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: Carroll387@aol.com Hey everyone! The 12th of June has arrived!!! Which marks the day that many cool events happened. For starters it was back on this day in 1923 that Harry Houdini thrilled a large New York audience by struggling free from a straightjacket while hanging head-down 40 feet above the ground! Also on this day our 40th president (George Bush) was born in 1924. ...Happy Birthday George! But I think the coolest thing that today brings is that this is the date that Mr. John Linnell was born! Happy Birthday John! This is only day you can't sing "It's Not My Birthday". ;p And Happy Birthday to those on this list who's birthday falls on this day too! :) Okay. That about it for me. But I hope I see everyone on the 20th! Take care. Bye. ~Carroll387 --WebTV-Mail-536598011-11208-- ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:26:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: ...back on this day... In a message dated 6/12/99 9:27:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << What's the signifacance of the number 40 and June 12th? Or is this just an odd coincedence? -dex >> Right. Well I think it's just an odd coincidence, Dex. ;) Take care. ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199906130318.XAA23378@smtp.snet.net> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:13:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? > > help me, the TMBG references didn't end there...first, Austin says to > > Mustapha, "That fez looks familiar," or something along those lines... > > How is this a reference to TMBG? yeah yeah... > > Austin directly mentions The Planet of the Apes... > > Or this could have simply been a direct reference to the Planet of the Apes. or it could have been not... > > astronauts and moon themes reminiscent of Apollo 18... > > Does anyone remember the posts about TMBG references in Futurama > a few months back? : ) sure. but mike myers wasn't IN that. > > and to top it all off: Fat Bastard says "Sexy Man, > > Sexy Man, Doing The Things A Sexy Man Can"?! > > When I heard that last line, I almost dropped me popcorn > > Okay, this does sound like a TMBG reference. glad you agree. > > ...and in grand old TMBG style, a last secret scene > > was stuck into the end of the movie > > I saw this scene as well, it was rather funny. I was glad I decided to stay > to > the end of the credits, as the friends I was with gave up after the second > scene during the credits. > > > The cleaning men were laughing at the scene, and they > > were surprised to hear someone else laugh. They both looked up, and yes, I > > was the only one who was patient enough to wait till the very end, > watching > > from the back doorway of the theatre :-) > > Oddly enough, I was in the back of the theatre when I saw it too, although > there were still plenty of people still in the theatre waiting as well. maybe it's NOT odd. maybe thousands of people wait in the back of movie theaters EVERY DAY. > >The Dr. Evil song is sung again at > > the end while the ending credits are rolling, and TMBG and Robyn "Goldie" > > Goldwasser (Maybe a cute reference to Goldfinger? Or is that her actual > > nickname?) are mentioned first in the list of artists who contributed to > the > > film's music. > > Well, first in the list on the left side of the screen at least. And it > only > makes sense, since their song was the first to be played. yeah. well. in the same way, it would only make sense that They would be included on the soundtrack, but They weren't... > > The whole experience just left me smiling, feeling like They > > were included in an ever so subtle way. I could almost see the Johns > smiling > > at all of us who would pick up on the clues > > I'm sure they had no part in any of the scenes, and they probably haven't > even > seen the completed film yet. or maybe they were, and maybe they have. > > --- but I wonder if it was Mike Myers' idea to stick any of it in (oh, > > behave, I didn't mean it like that!), as he is known to be somewhat of a > TMBG > > fan himself? > > Well, I'm sure Myers had a part in them being asked to do the opening theme, > as well as the line Fat Bastard says, since Myers played Fat Bastard. ah. good. some NON negative comments. i couldn't help but notice the long line of short, disagreeing comments encompassed in the content of this e-mail. so i decide to disagree with some disagreements. an un-necessary, yet cow approved thing to do, i think. jen- the one who rides the translucent dino ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:17:44 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <376330E8.C1A5F5F7@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? > ah. good. some NON negative comments. i couldn't help but notice > the long line of short, disagreeing comments encompassed in the > content of this e-mail. so i decide to disagree with some > disagreements. an un-necessary, yet cow approved thing to do, i > think. > no it wasnt. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:21:42 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Meet James Ensor Message-ID: <19990612.222143.-775253.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Hey fellow people! If you feel you have to have every tmbg related thing in existence, download this mp3: http://geology.csun.edu/liggett/ensor.zip It's almost as good as getting a new album! It's a never before heard version! It'll make you feel good all summer! You can't live without hearing it! That's too many exclamation marks already, so I'll go now. But that mp3 is really cool. And yes it really is a full song, not just a clip. By the way, tell me what you guys think about it after you've heard it. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:34:28 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Meet James Ensor Message-ID: <19990612.223430.-775253.1.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett It's from "Before Then: The Teenage Years" I just had to throw that in, sorry, I think I had too much caffeine. Thanks! Garrett Liggett . ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990613053808.66399.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: song? Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:38:07 PDT "I've been working hard trying to sing and play guitar Growing out my hair and practicing my stare" What is this song called? I want to label my NPR tape. BTW, TMBG rocked Fairfax. -Kimberly _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-13 ******************************