Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 15 Tuesday, 15 June 1999 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: eBay Subject: TMBG: Re: eBay TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: Download mp3 "Dr. Evil" from Austin Powers II!! Re: Subject: TMBG: Re: eBay TMBG: NON-TMBG - Barenaked Ladies TMBG: Still need songs... Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG - Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle TMBG: DFB Re: TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle TMBG: fairfax pictures? Re: TMBG: fairfax pictures? TMBG: Newbie and ANOTHER Question :) Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Mi Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: labels? Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers?) Re: TMBG: labels? Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin Re: TMBG: labels? Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Re: TMBG: labels? TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? TMBG: "All sold out" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3764C0CD.2EF34292@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:44:01 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: RE: TMBG: eBay "eRiCh" wrote" >Someones having a little trouble finding 'DFB' eRiCh >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=114352228 I looked everywhere for DFB. I couldnt find it any store. I gave up and order it from CD NOW. CD NOW thanked me for my order and told me that it was backordered and I should wait for a long, long time. Meanwhile, I now see DFB in stores everywhere!!! It figures. Well, I'm off to sell my used gym socks on e-bay at a minimum bid of $200. See you there! -B O N G O _________________________________________________________________________ Our solar system is just a teardrop in the eye of a rare bird who nearly never cries. -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3764C3B8.BF563C27@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 01:56:29 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: TMBG: Re: eBay Message-ID: <3763F33C.9AF4D8DD@dragondata.com> (Mike Leffel) wrote: > HO HO! If any of you bidders are reading this, I've got a JUG >OF WATER, yes, WATER from an estate auction that I'm letting go for >the one time absolute low price of $200!! I read the above (on the digest version of the list) 2 seconds after I posted my smart ass comment about selling my gym socks on ebay for $200. I swear it was a coincidence (even though it sounds like a cheap rip off!) Amazingly, we picked the same price of $200. Thing is though, considering Mr. Leffel's deity like status on this list, if he had first blessed the above mentioned water, it would easily go for $200. - B O N G O ______________________________________ "Just remember what the biker chick said that you're really alive when you wish you were dead." -Lincoln ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01beb646$4dcd03c0$a69da2d1@tk421> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 02:13:45 -0700 Me and my friend recently went out to seattle with a CD-R in hand of Dr. Worm. we had called our local radio station 107.7 The End and asked them to play it but alas they did not have it so we went out to seattle and left the CD for the DJ we spoke to and hoped for the best. we called the next day during her air time and asked "did you listin to it?" she said "yes" we said "and...?" and she said "it really wasnt my thing" and were thinking come on!! we went all the way over to seattle with a CD-R that we made just for you just for a mere 3 minutes of air time to bring the folks of western washington a little bit of tmbgness and you say "no" why????? so now its time for revenge. and who could we possibly turn to? YOU! the fans!! On Tuesday morning June 15th between 10am and 2pm PST call 1-800-423-1077 or 1-206-421-1077 (because the 800 # may not work out of state) and request Dr. Worm I think with them being swamped with reqests they just might......play it! so do us a favor in Seattle and make the call! I'll let you know what happens, thanks, eRiCh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990614104453.264.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Crystal Cooper Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:44:49 PDT << Well, it *could* be in the vein of Particle Man...but more likely, more like the old Spider-Man cartoon theme song from the days of yore.>> is that the same song that moxy fruvous have covered on their cd "bargainville"? yikes... on a different note, i brought mono puff's "it's fun to steal" on sunday. it's growing on me i think. pretty steep price though, it cost me $36. i suppose that would sound even worse to you in america, so i'll explain that a normal cd over here is around $30. my direct from brooklyn should be getting here soon. i ordered it three days after i ordered bargainville and that got here last tuesday, so it should be here within the week. groovy. huh. i just noticed my computer's taskbar clock has stopped. how weird is that, i didn't know they could stop. it's 8:45 and the clock only says 8:10. i should probably try to figure out why it's stopped. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "who's going to build my death ray and grow poison flowers with me?" - mono puff e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org Coming Up For Air - Crystal's Ben Folds Five page: http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E4564131F6A3@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Download mp3 "Dr. Evil" from Austin Powers II!! Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:04:31 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, I went to go see Austin Powers II on opening day, 6/11/99, and I snuck in my MiniDisc Recorder and recorded the 1st minute of the audio track, featuring Robin "Goldie" Goldwasser singing "Dr. Evil". It came out really good and I made an mp3 of it. Later that day, I drove to Fairfax, Virginia, and saw TMBG play a concert and after the concert, John Flansburgh signed my ticket stub to the movie! Yay! You can SEE and HEAR it all if you go to my website: http://i.am/announcement/ The file is slightly under 1meg. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:26:29 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37650305.AA52C08@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: Re: eBay Bongo wrote: > > > > HO HO! If any of you bidders are reading this, I've got a JUG > >OF WATER, yes, WATER from an estate auction that I'm letting go for > >the one time absolute low price of $200!! > > I read the above (on the digest version of the list) 2 seconds after I posted my smart > ass comment about selling my gym socks on ebay for $200. I swear it was a coincidence > (even though it sounds like a cheap rip off!) Amazingly, we picked the same price of $200. Thanks to Showcase Showdown, only ONE of us will get the Deluxe Camper though. Oooh, I want that vacation to Norway! Load up my HITCHHIKER II and let the cares of the world pass through my soul, like wind on water! > Thing is though, considering Mr. Leffel's deity like status on this list, if he had first > blessed the above mentioned water, it would easily go for $200. > (It was urine.) Pfah. I found your gym socks hilarious and heartwarming! I will give you my firstborn for them! ^__^ "But dad! I've got SAT's tomorrow!" "SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD, ZEKE!" "Yes'm." > - B O N G O > ______________________________________ > "Just remember what the biker chick said > that you're really alive when > you wish you were dead." > -Lincoln How true. Much like the Geggy Tah quote. Mike "Perhaps I should listen to these bands" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG - Barenaked Ladies Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:10:38 -0400 Anyone out there got a midi file for Brian Wilson? Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (860) 760-6206 ------------------------------ From: "Adam Varn" Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:28:51 -500 Subject: TMBG: Still need songs... Message-id: <37651fb3.a9.0@alpha> I recieved a whopping 3 songs over the weekend in my plea for TMBG EP's and B-Sides. If I don't get them, my current Giants commercial stuff will stay up. I don't want to sound pushy, but for a group that was vehemently against studio releases on a web site, no one has put there money where their mouth is really. The address for the server has changed to 199.44.121.138 The login is: tmbg The pass is: tmbg Please upload, and also help contribute to my list by filling out the form at http://199.44.121.140/varn2/tmbg/addsong.cfm If you are having trouble using an FTP client, please email me and I will walk you through it (someone I know had trouble, but I lost their email...if that person would please mail me again, I would be glad to help) Please, please, PLEASE upload stuff! MrSparkle http://xooming.to/tmbgland ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990614155521.9814.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: NON-TMBG - Barenaked Ladies Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:55:21 PDT W Lee Steel wrote: >Anyone out there got a midi file for Brian Wilson? Can't Brian Wilson find these MIDI files himself, without getting you to ask for him? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Wish they all could be California girls" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19990614160644.00ef5678@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:06:44 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle >Me and my friend recently went out to seattle with a CD-R in hand of Dr. >Worm. we had called our local radio station 107.7 The End and asked them to >play it but alas they did not have it But they used to have it... When "Dr. Worm" came out, I was in Seattle and heard them play it on the End, more than once. Anyone remember what DJ used to play it? They would probably be more willing to do it again now. (I'm from Cleveland and DC, I haven't a clue who the DJ's are out there.) - Jen / SpiderEyes Chief Inquisitor Center for Information Control and Thought Prevention http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lights/8222 ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: DFB Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:06:36 -0400 For what it's worth............. Direct From Brooklyn can be obtained from Movies Unlimited. http://www.moviesunlimited.com Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (860) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:01:54 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGless in Seattle Message-id: <37655FB2.6CB3@wmich.edu> > Tuesday morning June 15th between 10am and 2pm PST call 1-800-423-1077 or > 1-206-421-1077 (because the 800 # may not work out of state) and request Dr. > Worm I think with them being swamped with reqests they just might......play > it! so do us a favor in Seattle and make the call! I'll let you know what > happens, thanks, eRiCh What time is this EST? My brains not working..... ~Sarah, who works to much and sleeps to little.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990614182155.6301.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: fairfax pictures? Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:21:54 PDT I am SUCH a dumbass. I don't know why I didn't bring a camera. I guess I didn't think I would make it to the front row. Does anyone have pictures from the show? Did anyone go to the trouble of rush development and scanning? I would have, but I'm just dumb. Anyway, I need pictures so I can include one or two with an article I'm writing for a newspaper. The deadline's coming up soon.... -Keembearlee _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0rNJqlm00UiA04Z7A0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:53:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: fairfax pictures? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Jun-99 TMBG: fairfax pictures? by Keem Bearlee@hotmail.com > I am SUCH a dumbass. I don't know why I didn't bring a camera. I guess I > didn't think I would make it to the front row. Does anyone have pictures > from the show? Did anyone go to the trouble of rush development and > scanning? I would have, but I'm just dumb. Mine are in the process of being developed. I'm not sure how good they are, but I should get them and be able to scan them tomorrow. I'll probably put them on the web somewhere. There were a *lot* of people taking pictures, too. ------------------------------ From: IMch2@aol.com Message-ID: <27de92ec.2496c3c2@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:44:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Newbie and ANOTHER Question :) Hey all, is anyone going to the Father's Day TMBG concert in New York? It's free!! -Ian Imch2@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:20:58 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Creationism & Evolution (was: TMBG rules! (was: Mi Message-ID: <19990614.183014.13038.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Matt James uttered this odd story a while back: >Whilst I maneuver my twig and berries after a fandangling bike ride >that was to go to Nebraska but, in fact, only carted me through the >streets of Chestertown, Maryland (Damn, thy bloody bones, Chester!) I >thought of this lyic that might tickle your toes: >"I've never known anybody like her. She's actual size, nationwide, >believe." And as Miss Erika bounds about the hills and dales >remember your calling card: >"Not as queer as folk" I don't understand that in the least bit, but I'm flattered. Perhaps. Or, if it was meant in some other light, I'm offended. Feh, I think I'll just remain nonchalant yet slightly bewildered. ever-sincere, eriKa, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "I wish I liked slurpees." - John Linnell ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:24:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Somebody said something that reminded me of another item that seemed suspiciously TMBG-like when I saw AP II...a character in the movie (I think it was Austin, but the memories are already growing fuzzy) was referring to something known as "The Stick" (with emphasis, like that's what the item's official name was). Sorry about all the references guys, and if you don't agree with any of them, that's fine too. I should be allowed to think, and you should be allowed to groan, if you like. All I know is thinking the way I do put a nice big grin on my face after forking over my $15 for the kids and I to see it (we went to the 5:05 matinee right after the kids got out of school). If anyone honestly cares what I thought of the movie: I didn't think it was too bad. But I liked the first one better. I see a lot of people are going the opposite route, though -- saying they thought the second one was funnier. Maybe it was simply the plot material that I liked better in the first one? I just got the "Miscellaneous T" album and the "S-E-X-X-Y" and "Why Does The Sun Shine?" EPs today. I've listened through them all, and now I think Misc T is my fave album by Them. My God, how I love the Joshua Fried Remix of "The World's Address"! I love all of "S-E-X-X-Y," and like "Whirlpool" off of WDTSS. I seem to prefer the fast live version of WDTSS, I don't know why. I must be one rockin' babe, or something ;-) Have fun at the concerts this Saturday and Sunday, those of you that are attending, and those of you that are daddies like Mr. Linnell -- Have A Wonderful Father's Day! :-) Karen "Why Beauregard, I didn't know you cared!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990615012625.84312.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: labels? Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:26:25 PDT Could someone please explain to me why it is that TMBG release on Elektra and Restless/Bar None? -Kimberly _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990615020031.77637.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers?) Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:00:30 PDT Karen Riley wrote: >I seem to prefer the fast live version of WDTSS, I >don't know why. I must be one rockin' babe, or something ;-) I'm sure there are plenty of people who share your opinion. I'm not really sure which version I like better, but I tend to lean toward the slow one. It sounds more musically intricate, and it has a glockenspiel. The fast version is much better for dancing and the like, though, so it's a better choice for live shows. Unfortunately, the version of "WDTSS?" on _Severe Tire Damage_ was actually one of the weaker examples of the fast version that I've heard. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Hydrogen, helium, noxol, hair, and wood" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990615020553.30787.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: labels? Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:05:52 PDT Keem Bearlee wrote: >Could someone please explain to me why it is that TMBG release on Elektra >and Restless/Bar None? Well, it's like this. The first two TMBG albums were released on Bar/None, an independent label. After that, the Johns were signed to Elektra, and released Their next few albums on that label. They split with Elektra in 1998, though, so _Severe Tire Damage_ was released by Restless (which, I believe, is somehow connected to Bar/None). I'm not sure if They have an official label now or not. From what I've heard, the children's album and John Linnell's _State Songs_ are going to be released on Rounder Records, but I don't know if the next regular album will be on that label or not. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Mourning becomes Elektra" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906150228.WAA40106@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:28:53 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? At 06:24 PM 6/14/99 -0400, MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: >My God, how I love the Joshua Fried >Remix of "The World's Address"! Hehe, welcome to the minority! --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:17:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin << Unfortunately, the version of "WDTSS?" on _Severe Tire Damage_ was actually one of the weaker examples of the fast version that I've heard. >> I have to agree with you there...I think the "WDTSS" on Live! In New York, for example, is better than the STD version, or I would've liked it if they would have used one of the many times Linnell has goofed around with his spoken part. I wish they would've used a different version of "Ana Ng," too, like when they've started it slow and got gradually faster, which I've heard they've done but haven't gotten to see live (yet). Overall, though, I'm quite happy with STD :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906150248.WAA07661@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:47:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Sun: Fast or slow? (was Re: TMBGishness in Austin > Karen Riley wrote: > >I seem to prefer the fast live version of WDTSS, I > >don't know why. I must be one rockin' babe, or something ;-) Yee hah! Rock me Karen Amadeus! /Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906150251.WAA08063@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:50:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: labels? Whoops, sorry Nathan, I meant to type more but hit send by accident and it wasn't even directed to Karen as I had originally intended. I too believe that the fast WDTSS? is very excellent. I'm trying to think of all of the TMBG songs that were sped up: 1) WDTSS? 2) They Got Lost And those that slowed down: 1) Ana Ng (post caffeine overload days) Can anyone think of others that fit into either category? Stay groovy, /Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:38:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? In a message dated 6/14/99 9:29:25 PM, jdf179@psu.edu writes: >At 06:24 PM 6/14/99 -0400, MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: >>My God, how I love the Joshua Fried >>Remix of "The World's Address"! > >Hehe, welcome to the minority! > i love it as well. i love it love it. wow, what a useless post. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990614232257.00932490@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:23:21 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: labels? At 10:50 PM 6/14/99, Matt James wrote: > >Can anyone think of others that fit into either category? Shoehorn With Teeth (CD-skip version) would definitely be in the "faster" category. -Adam -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:27:05 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBGishness in Austin Powers? Message-ID: <19990614.212903.3566.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> >i love it as well. i love it love it. > >wow, what a useless post. ooh, me too! now talk about a useless post. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 1month 2days till TMBG 1month 3days till i move to NYC :) ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: <13a2e316.24972e84@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:20:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: "All sold out" Okay folks!! It is finished! I have received all the requests for the TMBG video "Direct From Brooklyn." We are all set! I clean out that part of Tower Records! ....Their all sold out now! I will email all theses that have already requested the video about where/what time we shall meet. So, anyone who didn't get to a chance to request the video can but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to get you a copy now. Nevertheless, I shall try my best by seeing if the other local Tower Records has it on hand. So, you can try to request it but there's no guarantee. Take care all. And have a great evening. Bye! ~Carroll387 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-15 ******************************