Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 22 Tuesday, 22 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... Re: TMBG: JL looks like who? -Reply TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) TMBG: Revamped TMBG mp3 site Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... TMBG: Re: Sunday, sunday... TMBG: Sharpie sigs Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs TMBG: My 6/19 Concert Experience TMBG: Brian Dewan TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... TMBG: Sound check Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) NONTMBG: Inspector Crapit. (was-Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers) Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers TMBG: it's so lame it's actually funny Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: PICTURE TMBG: Central Park CDR Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: Re: Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: PICTURE Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: it's so lame it's actually funny Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:45:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... << Linnell is quite a fan of the Beach Boys' work... he references it in Thunderbird, and I think he mentioned them among his favorite bands in one of the really old newsletters... >> I think I'd die of joy if They ever covered "Sloop John B" Kay ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:50:42 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: JL looks like who? -Reply > >> << Steve Buscemi >> And, he did an absolutely brilliant guest shot on the TV show "Homicide:Life on the Street". The new series of which is currently being show in the UK on Channel 4 after midnight on Tuesdays. They must learn their programming skills at Radio 4! (sorry that's a very British gripe). Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <376E441D.9689F05A@sevenlands.com> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:54:37 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > The new series of which is currently being show in the UK on Channel 4 > after midnight on Tuesdays. They must learn their programming skills at > Radio 4! (sorry that's a very British gripe). > Richard Is this the final series? (That just finished here.) CN ~~ ICQ 41099643 ------------------------------ From: "Adam Varn" Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:50:16 -500 Subject: TMBG: Revamped TMBG mp3 site Message-id: <376e5128.bd.0@alpha> I know that everyone is probably getting sick of me pluggin my site, so I officially state this is my last post relating to my site. It's been two weeks since everyone got mad about me hosting studio mp3s of TMBG on my site. So, in those two weeks I have collected, changed and modified my site enough now to only include EP's and B-Sides, as requested by most people. I just want to thank anyone who uploaded stuff (you know who you are) and would encourage everyone to visit it, if nothing more than to help fill in the blanks on which song came from what. Any ways, please don't hesitate to request something for the site. Enjoy the songs: they are on a dedicated computer and don't require an FTP client or anything. Thanks for everything donated and suggested and please download anything you want. MrSparkle They Might Be Giants - Better Living through Better Music http://xooming.to/tmbgland ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:35:54 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Message-ID: On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Mike Leffel wrote: > >--jim kuemmerle, whose latest roll of B&W pics will be 4 days late coming > >back, making it a total of 1 week (everybody sing along!) since i dropped > >off the film... grrr..... > > I _told_ you there were people who develop *those* kinds of pictures > for free. And it's all anonymous. You just have to let them have some > copies. I like to pose with my neighbor. She has no cartilage in her > nose! i said B&W, not T&A! :) (or S&M, for that matter...) --jim kuemmerle, who suddenly has a craving for A&W... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990621155232.58993.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Miss Karen Subject: Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:52:31 PDT The show was so much fun! I bought the Happiness t-shirt afterwards and got Flans to sign it. I also had my pic taken with him and felt like such a groupie. He was so nice. I asked him if he knew the illustrator who did the Magic Carpet tee and he said he hung out with him a couple of times but it's his wife that knows him more. In my haste and nervousness, I said "I used to know him a few years ago." He said, "You used to?" and I said, "I mean, it was a few years ago so I don't think he remembers me." He said, "Of course he would remember you. How did you know him?" I said I used to work for a publication that he did illustrations for. Flans said he works for The New Yorker now. My time was up so I thanked him and left. I also asked Linnell (in the VIP area) but he declined. He was very nice about it though. He said he was off-duty but Flans was signing. I said I just came from Flans. He said he's just hanging out with friends now. I thanked him for the show and wished him Happy Fathers Day. He looked a little, surprised?, taken aback? but said thanks. It could've been my imagination. After a second, he said thanks. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Question: Flans signed my shirt with a black Sharpie. Will this come off if I wash it? Last thing that has nothing to do with TMBG but is mildly amusing: As my friend and I were on our way to the fountain where They shot They'll Need a Crane, there was a girl on blades in front of us talking excitedly in her cell phone: "I just saw Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin! They were walking in the park!" Not that I cared. I just came from talking to both Flans and Linnell! I'm such a groupie. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:10:47 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Miss Karen wrote: > Question: Flans signed my shirt with a black Sharpie. Will this come off if > I wash it? shouldn't. --jim kuemmerle, apparently running for resident laundry expert... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:04:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Sunday, sunday... Limezinger rambled: << to which he uttered "thank you, mysterious benefactor." i don't know why that just sounds awesome. >> that could be a reference to "Great Expectations" anyone know if Linnel's a Charles Dickens fan? :P Bat ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906211704.NAA22501@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:04:44 -0400 (EDT) > On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Miss Karen wrote: > > > Question: Flans signed my shirt with a black Sharpie. Will this come off if > > I wash it? > > shouldn't. > It probably won't come off, at least not after 1 wash, but it might fade a bit. If you washed it many, many times it might fade to obscurity. /Matt ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:30:15 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Matt James scribbled: > > > Question: Flans signed my shirt with a black Sharpie. Will this come off if > > > I wash it? > > > > shouldn't. > > > It probably won't come off, at least not after 1 wash, but it might > fade a bit. If you washed it many, many times it might fade to > obscurity. of course, by that time, the shirt will probably start falling apart itself. i recommend washing in cold; that'll probably prolong the lives of both the shirt and its resident flansy signature better than anything else will. --jim kuemmerle, who's perpetually on spin cycle... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990621173322.16267.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Elendriel ^_^ Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:33:22 GMT >From: Matt James >Reply-To: Matt James >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Sharpie sigs >Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:04:44 -0400 (EDT) > > > On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Miss Karen wrote: > > > > > Question: Flans signed my shirt with a black Sharpie. Will this come >off if > > > I wash it? > > > > shouldn't. > > >It probably won't come off, at least not after 1 wash, but it might >fade a bit. If you washed it many, many times it might fade to >obscurity. Soak it in hot water with tinfoil inbetween the fabric (for protection if it bleeds). That /should/ set it, but as it's been many, many years since I had to do this, my memory is a bit fuzzy. Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:36:54 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > Soak it in hot water with tinfoil inbetween the fabric (for protection if it > bleeds). That /should/ set it, but as it's been many, many years since I had > to do this, my memory is a bit fuzzy. with no soap, right? :) --jim kuemmerle, who'd forgotten about this... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:55:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <376E7CAA.76A93A38@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > > On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > > Soak it in hot water with tinfoil inbetween the fabric (for protection if it > > bleeds). That /should/ set it, but as it's been many, many years since I had > > to do this, my memory is a bit fuzzy. > > with no soap, right? :) > > --jim kuemmerle, who'd forgotten about this... > Is this the method to be able to understand what the dogs say? ^__^ Being an artsy fart, I've been around many a sharpie and the stains have kissed my clothing innumerable times. I've got a huge stain on one of my t-shirts that has been on there for about six years and while faded, it remains. Oh wait. That's the blood of Mother Teresa. No, that's on my _other_ shirt that the sharpie ink is on. While this may have to do more with my location to the atomic research facility than the properties of ink and cloth, I suggest you don't even wear the shirt and frame it or something. Or, get one of those specifically-made-for-permanant-laundry sharpies and trace over his autograph. Diminishes the value, but hey! And the 'happy fathers day' to linnell thing... He looked stunned when you asked him this, did you say?? Perhaps for a moment he FORGOT that he 'had a baby'??? MUHUHAHAHAHAH!!! The cracks in their plans are beginning to reveal themselves!!! Baby Henry indeed!! I'm calling Art Bell! Mike "Finally!! Fawlty Towers!" Leffel ---Homicide Fans: You know when that older character (A BALDWIN!!!) was killed and the criminals made it look like he shot himself in the head? Remember how they didn't show really what that would look like? Unfortunately, I _found_ a real crimescene photo that shows just what that looks like. Thank god for B+W. ...And S+M. ^_^ HO! I meant to underline _REAL_, not found! BWaAAHAHAHAHAHAHtimeforritalin. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:07:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: My 6/19 Concert Experience Hiya Everybody: I am not in a particularly great letter-writing mood today, but I have some free time in between dishes and laundry to type out how my day went in Asbury Park (and elsewhere in the Garden State)... Well, I guess my statewide odyssey began when my children and I spent the night at the home of my friend Dorie, her husband John, their 4 children, Dorie's brother Frank, Frank's wife and three children, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 7 kittens (not 8 because I adopted one of them), 3 tropical aquariums, 2 parakeets, and a cute bunny in a wire cage. You don't know what fun is until you've been awakened by a kitten attacking your feet :-) Dorie lives about an hour and a half from my house. Anyway, Saturday morning, after getting some coffee and some breakfast-type foods from the local Wawa, the kids and I went to go pick up our listmate Beth (who I had only met previously online), who lives about almost 2 hours from Dorie's. Beth turned out to be a very nice person, and I was happy to meet her. Beth drove back with me to Dorie's, to personally meet the hectic menagerie for herself :-) Dorie had her sister-in-law watch the brood, and she came along with us to the show (another hour's drive away). So, we get to the show about 2 hours early, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but TDK Mike, and his CD player full of TMBG cheer :-) OK, now the cool part: Whilst standing in line, my feet beginning to scream at me for comfort, the front door occasionally opened, wafting the sounds of They's soundcheck out to us -- the security, staff, Dans Hickey and Weinkauf sporadically popping in and out. I was a bit nervous, as I had brought this gift for Mr. Linnell along with me, and I had been told that maybe, just possibly (more like a snowball's chance in hell, I figured) there was a slim chance that I might be able to give it to John Linnell himself. It was a little Swiss music box that I had purchased from a lovely little shop in Avon, NJ. You can have the nice man behind the counter put your choice of over 700 tunes into the box you pick out. It felt so strange, picking out just the right box. I picked out a small walnut box with a glass top, so you could see the tune being played on the little metal roll inside. I had heard that Mr. Linnell liked Bach, so I told the nice man the tune was for a musician, and to pick out whichever Bach tune he thought best. The inner workings of a box that played an 18-note piece of Bach's "Cantata #147" were lovingly, gingerly brought over to me. It was played on the counter, and the old man and I looked at each other and smiled very big smiles. He said my choice in boxes was a good one, and he thought the tune sounded "solemn, yet pretty." I thought it was perfect. It took about ten minutes for the nice man to put the tune into the box, and play it again before he boxed it up.... Well, having this little treasure inside my small knapsack on the day of the show, wondering to myself "How the hell am I going to get this gift to Linnell?", getting used to people popping in and out of the Fastlane's front door, the door opens yet again -- and out walks Mr. Linnell, lightly down the steps and into the street to look around (there isn't much traffic in Asbury these days)...my stomach, needless to say, started doing flip-flops. I believe I slightly panicked. I quickly got the gift out of my bag, and John started heading back to the club's entrance. I slowly walked up to John and said "Mr. Linnell?" (and yes, he did look a bit scared at the intrusion) You could have heard a pin drop. John hesitated for a moment, then said "Yes?" I held out the box to him, and said "This is for you." He smiled slightly and said "Thanks," took the box out of my hand, and quickly hopped up the steps. I was so happy you could have knocked me over with a feather. Well, after that, we got pretty close to the Linnell-side of the stage (at the Bowery show, I was on Flans' side). My kids, Lamberly and Terry were right in front. The opening act, "You Were Spiraling" came out, and were quite good, I thought. I thought the lead singer looked like a cross between John Linnell and Ben Stiller. After that, TMBG finally came out and took the stage. Linnell walked over to his keyboard, and got this look of happy surprise on his face when he saw little Lamberly standing in front of him. He seemed happy to see such a young face there :-) Unfortunately, during the show, it got so crowded and hot for my daughter that she had to make a couple of trips to the bathroom to cool off and relax. She thought it was maybe a combination of the heat and a bit of claustrophobia. It was Lam's first close-contact concert (where everyone is sort of smushed together in front of the stage -- not the most comfortable thing in the world). My son, Terry, loved the show -- it was his first concert ever, and it got him really psyched for the Central Park show. This show seemed a bit more raw to me than the Bowery show, but I liked it a lot. This time, I could actually see the Johns in the dark as they worked the puppets. Well, after the show, we all had to go for a long ride back to drop everyone back home...the show didn't end until like 12:30 am, and I didn't get home with the kids until like 5 am...and since I had another TMBG show to catch at 3 pm the next day, you better believe I nodded off the minute my head hit the pillow. I don't think my bed's ever been more welcome. I'll write about my Central Park experience tomorrow... Karen "How Am I Supposed To Let You Know The Way I Feel...About You?" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:30:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan Message-ID: <19990621.143153.17182.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEy kiddies... uhm, news is that brian dewan finally released his second album. is this true? anyone have any info as to what label? and if not, where some of us non-nycers can get a hold of a copy? :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:14:36 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Message-ID: <19990621.173657.21206.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Bob Scott informed: >At no point does Anakin Skywalker (Texas Ranger) dress up like a girl and >sing to Jar-Jar. This is one of the stranger rumours, and Elaine Bennes does >not approve! No, but Mike Leffel does. I love that red wig! >>But I met Ben Folds. And I got Pokemon stickers. Woo-hoo! >Are those 2 events related in any way? I'm only asking because I'd have to >like BFF if they handed out Pokemon stickers... Somewhat. I gave Ben a Pokemon sticker of Pikachu looking oddly disgruntled. He seemed rather amused by it (perhaps he's a fan of the show). I had some stickers for Darren and Robert too, but they never showed. Their loss, I suppose. >Are YOU Pikachu? No, but it still should be a nice picture. ever-sincere, eriKa, attracting the affections of a seven-year-old named victor. whee. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990621230903.6121.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: sunday sunday, here again, a walk in the park... Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:09:03 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I wasn't there (and oh, how I wish I was - what a set!), but I think >the >song >was probably "God Only Knows," one of the Beach Boys' less Beach >Boy-like >songs. Corny lyrics, like most 60's songs, but a musical arrangement > >along >the complexity of something like "A Self Called Nowhere" or "Sad >Today" >(Moxy >Fruvous) or some of the Beatles later work. Or even the song you > >referenced >in the subject, for that matter. :) Or XTC's "Chalkhills And Children." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Even I never know where I go when my eyes are closed" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:04:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: Sound check I was the first person to make it to the Summerstage at Central Park. Of course, I'm never the first one in because of bad luck. Oh well. In any case, I heard the sound check as well. That was Linnell playing God Only Knows on accordion solo. I'm a big Beach Boys, and it's such a gorgeous song. Linnell sounded great, and I would love the Giants to maybe cover it sometime, it really sounded beautiful. If you're wondering, I wearing a black Rutgers shirt, and I was a couple of rows behind Rob Plass among all the standees. I, along with Shana, also yelled, "Happy Father's Day, Linnell!" His response, "Thanks." This was my 6th show now, and counting. They'll be back in September, without Danny W. though. Shana tells me his wife is expecting, so Graham Maby will return as bassist for TMBG. Oh, here is my pic page, actually two of them: http://www.eden.rut gers.edu/~stelrfan/about_me.html http://www.eden.rut gers.edu/~stelrfan/tmbg.html See you in September (And for all you New Yorkers, in Strawberry Fields on Saturday, October 9th to celebrate John Lennon's 59th birthday!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990621231832.76127.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:18:31 PDT I finally got around to seeing this movie, and I have a few comments on it. (And yes, some of them are slightly related to TMBG.) There are spoilers here, so I suppose I should leave a bit of space: That should be enough. Well, I did enjoy the movie, although not as much as the first. It was pretty funny, and I don't really have any complaints that haven't already been brought up twenty thousand million times (many recycled jokes, too much toilet humour, Fat Bastard being too gross). The bit of the "Dr. Evil" song that we heard was well-done. (Robin has a great voice.) As for the non-TMBG-related part of the movie, I liked most of the bits with Dr. Evil, Scott, and Mini-Me (although the fight scene between Austin and Mini-Me did drag on). The "asking the same question three times" bit was also hilarious. To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews shown before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked the villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was probably actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking of the TMBG song. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Shagadelic" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:46:09 -0400 Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Message-ID: <19990621.194620.21638.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Um. This isn't much of a spoiler or anything, as I'm not going to say much about the movie, but, well... Did anyone here mention the fact that Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello made a cameo performance? I thought that was really neat, and I'm pretty surprised if no one commented on that... ever-sincere, eriKa, only one calorie - not evil enough. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906220013.UAA60540@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:13:49 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) At 07:25 PM 6/20/99 -0400, DKocar@aol.com wrote: >Pittsburgh's a >great city too. Love the hills and trains. :-) I love the way the rivers merge in the town. It's so nice :) Seriously, though, I happen to live in the Burgh and I too think it's quite a keen city. --Jason, who'd like to be congratulated on his first official Moxy Fruvous reference-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:58:49 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <376ED1B9.B150B0C9@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: NONTMBG: Inspector Crapit. (was-Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers) > To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews shown > before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked the > villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was probably > actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking of the > TMBG song. HA! HA! HA! I have the movie trailer from some jerky website! HA! HA! HA! That someone just happens to be ANDY DICK! HA! HA! HA! Brain is rolling in his grave! HA! HA! HA! Mike "praying to whatever god there is that the Inspector Gadget movie will *NOT* be as *HORRIBLE* as it probably will be" Leffel --a fan of the Inspector. Sorta like Capeman. You remember CAPEMAN don't you? No, not the play by mister Call me Al. --------------I got the list from a site, but I added commento. Not even Dabney Coleman as Chief Quimby can cancel out the hellish evil that is Cheri Oteri!!! Credited cast: Matthew Broderick....Inspector Gadget <--nothing says quality movie like introducing an EVIL TWIN (tmbg ref) in YOUR FIRST MOVIE. That is WRONG. The one thing SUPERMAN ever did right was wait until MOVIE #3. But don't even get me started on ********************************* the SUPERHERO movies. Dabney Coleman ......Chief Quimby Andy Dick ...............Claw's Scientists <---he's plural?! Rupert Everett...........Claw <--appearantly these people Joely Fisher...............Brenda know nothing about the CARTOON. Alexander Folk..........Cop I mean, criminy! CLAW WAS NEVER Michael G. Hagerty SEEN! WAH! And MadCat? And Brain? J.P. Manoux ............Mayor's Assistant Cheri Oteri.............Mayor Michelle Trachtenberg ....Penny Fred Williamson........Gadget's Car <--Appearantly going for that whole ************************************ KITT thing. $1000 says that robogadget has his own little KARR too. BLAST! July 23! What an opening date! Wheehay! I'll watch you, Gadget! Next time!! MUHUHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHHAAHAHHA!!! (begin post-episode lesson on how to get grain of sand out of ones' eye) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622002240.41616.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:22:40 PDT Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >Um. This isn't much of a spoiler or anything, as I'm not going to say >much about the movie, but, well... > >Did anyone here mention the fact that Burt Bacharach and Elvis >Costello >made a cameo performance? I thought that was really neat, and I'm >pretty >surprised if no one commented on that... I don't recall anyone on the list mentioning it (although I could be wrong). I did find it a bit anachronistic that the two of them appeared together in the sixties part of the movie, even though they weren't working together at that point. (Wasn't Burt still working with Hal "Chauvinist Pig" David back then?) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Not a Chauvinist Pig" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622002626.18833.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:26:25 PDT Jason Fickley wrote: >At 07:25 PM 6/20/99 -0400, DKocar@aol.com wrote: > >Pittsburgh's a > >great city too. Love the hills and trains. :-) > > >I love the way the rivers merge in the town. It's so nice :) > >Seriously, though, I happen to live in the Burgh and I too think it's > >quite a keen city. > >--Jason, who'd like to be congratulated on his first official Moxy >Fruvous >reference-- Jason, this is your first official Moxy Fruvous reference. Congratulations! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Intra-Pennsylvania Rivalry" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906220028.UAA57764@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:28:11 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers At 04:18 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews shown >before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked the >villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was probably >actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking of the >TMBG song. Doesn't he have his phD (for evil?) in Inspector Gadget, thus making him Dr. Claw? hmmm...now I have the theme song from the cartoon stuck in my head. "Dowt danowt danowt" --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622012031.146.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: it's so lame it's actually funny Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:20:31 PDT My brother took me to the Fairfax show, and though he doesn't love the band, he likes them more now than the first time he took me to see them. He has noticed my obsession for the band. We also have really lame humor and inside jokes. I was eating flan today. It was so delicious. I was raving so much my brother had to tell me to calm down. And then he said, "Do you know the name of the town flan came from?" You know, something like Frankfurt (frankfurter) or Parma (parmesan cheese). But then I realized that it was something less involved than that. Flanville? But then I understood.... FLANSBURGH! Okay, I hear you groaning... ======= -Keembearlee "Obiwan Kenobi told me in the lobby" http://visitweb.com/keembearlee ===== _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906220134.VAA03942@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:33:40 -0500 Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers > Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > >Um. This isn't much of a spoiler or anything, as I'm not going to say > >much about the movie, but, well... > > > >Did anyone here mention the fact that Burt Bacharach and Elvis >Costello > >made a cameo performance? I thought that was really neat, and I'm >pretty > >surprised if no one commented on that... > > I don't recall anyone on the list mentioning it (although I could be wrong). > I did find it a bit anachronistic that the two of them appeared together > in the sixties part of the movie, even though they weren't working together > at that point. (Wasn't Burt still working with Hal "Chauvinist Pig" David > back then?) While I'm not sure exactly what either musician was doing in the sixties (I think Elvis didn't really starting making music until the 70s or at least songs I can remember) I hardly think the word anachronism can be used in this film. If you remember, Austin practically blows his mind over the whole physics of what they're doing, and he also makes a note about how the English countryside looks so much like Southern California as you can clearly tell they are driving there. Anyway, having those 2 play on a fake 60s-London movie lot is hardly something to worry about. I just enjoyed it, it was a really good song played at the right time. /Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622014519.48065.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:45:18 PDT Jason Fickley wrote: >At 04:18 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews > > >shown > >before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked > >the > >villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was > > >probably > >actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking > >of >the TMBG song. > >Doesn't he have his phD (for evil?) in Inspector Gadget, thus making >him >Dr. Claw? I'm pretty sure he was Dr. Claw in the cartoon. (He didn't spend four years in evil medical school to be called Mr. Claw.) According to the movie preview, however, he's just going to be "Claw" in that. (And they're going to be showing his face, apparently.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Go-go-Gadget Potato Peeler" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:00:19 -0400 Subject: Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers Message-ID: <19990621.220019.21070.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Jason Fickley said: >Seriously, though, I happen to live in the Burgh and I too think it's quite >a keen city. Were you at the BF5 show? Were you standing next to me in the meet and greet crowd? Because I was talking to a tall guy named Jason there. He was really nice, and said he was in a band called Silent Jason... I was just wondering, as if there's only one guy in Pittsburgh named Jason. Nathan commented: >I did find it a bit anachronistic that the two of them appeared together >in the sixties part of the movie, even though they weren't working together >at that point. (Wasn't Burt still working with Hal "Chauvinist Pig" David >back then?) But it was still cool and all... um. Yeah. And yes, he was working with David then. They worked together until 1973 (a little Bacharach & David trivia I picked up somewhere). ever-sincere, eriKa, BacharachandDavidusedtowritehisfavoritesongs "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:17:25 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <376EF235.9F7420DE@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: PICTURE Did anyone watch PBS about 30 minutes ago? Because tonight on PBS, THE PEOPLE'S CENTURY (8pm central) had an episode about television and towards the very end, for one nanosecond, (they use a lot of clips from many many sources) a screen popped up with the word EDIT and a lot of colors, and someone said EDIT. Did PBS _use_ that *FROM* the TMBG song? I cannot say and I dare not specualte. I'm not the type of person who sits there watching things and instilling a TMBG meaning into it. Especially that Double Andy Rooney commercial. That creeps me out! Demon!! It sounded EXACTLY like the 'edit' from istanbul. That's all I know. Mike "Off to convalesce in a sanatarium" Leffel ---watching Nicolae Ceausescu lose control of the audience makes me feel so very happy! Hooray! ------------------------------ From: "Harvey Bojarsky" Subject: TMBG: Central Park CDR Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:21:27 -0400 Message-ID: <000101bebc55$eeee76c0$40ab70d8@bojarsky> I got a pretty good tape of the Central Park Sound Stage show on Sunday, which I'll be burning to CD this weekend. If anyone would like to trade for a copy please email me offlist (bojarsky@concentric.net) and I'll try to fill as many requests as I can. Regards HB ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <4b8fed2d.24a04e77@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:27:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: In a message dated 06.21.99 10.20.27 PM, mal01@conpoint.com writes: <<(they use a lot of clips from many many sources) a screen popped up with the word EDIT and a lot of colors, and someone said EDIT. Did PBS _use_ that *FROM* the TMBG song?>> believe it or not, supposedly that "edit." is from a janet jackson song. ewwwww... sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622035932.39129.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:59:32 PDT Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >Jason Fickley said: > >Seriously, though, I happen to live in the Burgh and I too think > >it's >quite a keen city. > >Were you at the BF5 show? Were you standing next to me in the meet >and >greet crowd? Because I was talking to a tall guy named Jason there. >He >was really nice, and said he was in a band called Silent Jason... Silent Jason? Hopefully the rest of his band is noisier than he is, or their albums wouldn't be very interesting? >I was just wondering, as if there's only one guy in Pittsburgh named > >Jason. Yes, Pittsburgh is a one-Jason town. All the more reason why Philadelphia should conquer it in an agrarian revolt. >Nathan commented: > >I did find it a bit anachronistic that the two of them appeared > > >together > >in the sixties part of the movie, even though they weren't working > >together > >at that point. (Wasn't Burt still working with Hal "Chauvinist Pig" > >David back then?) > >But it was still cool and all... True. While we're on the subject of ridiculous nit-picking, however, I did wonder why, if Scott was the result of the 1969 union of Dr. Evil and Frau Whatshername, he wasn't older, but I decided that he was probably frozen as a baby, and defrosted later. Something like that, anyway. I think too much about these things for my own good. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Evil is his one and only name" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:46:11 EDT Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers In a message dated 99-06-21 19:20:53 EDT, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews shown before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked the villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was probably actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking of the TMBG song. >> So far, we see two possible TMBG songs for the Inspector Gadget movie, Mr Klaw and Here's Hoping You Don't Become a Robot. Any more? dave ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622040428.98667.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES CENTURY: PICTURE Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:04:28 PDT sarah limezinger wrote: >In a message dated 06.21.99 10.20.27 PM, mal01@conpoint.com writes: > ><<(they use a lot of clips from many many >sources) a screen popped up with the word EDIT and a lot >of colors, and someone said EDIT. > > Did PBS _use_ that *FROM* the TMBG song?>> > > >believe it or not, supposedly that "edit." is from a janet jackson >song. So did PBS use a clip from a Janet Jackson song? Incidentally, most of the samples used in the remixes are from non-TMBG sources. In fact, I thought that all of them were, until I saw someone mention that "Someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas" was spoken by none other than Linnell. Is this true? Are any other samples used in the remixes from the Johns Themselves? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "This is a recording!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19990622041752.00ee1c28@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:17:52 -0400 From: SpiderJen Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers >While we're on the subject of ridiculous nit-picking, however, I did wonder >why, if Scott was the result of the 1969 union of Dr. Evil and Frau >Whatshername, he wasn't older, but I decided that he was probably frozen as >a baby, and defrosted later. Something like that, anyway. Well, she didn't actually claim that Scott resulted from when they had sex. She might have gotten herself pregnant later, from the frozen sperm (or even extra that she saved), because she missed Dr. Evil so much. That was our guess, anyways. Jen "I do not copulate with twinkies" / SpiderEyes (Way too much JTHM tonight... even in #tmbg...) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:44:33 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers Message-id: <376F3ED6.36FF@wmich.edu> > >While we're on the subject of ridiculous nit-picking, however, I did wonder > >why, if Scott was the result of the 1969 union of Dr. Evil and Frau > >Whatshername, he wasn't older, but I decided that he was probably frozen as > >a baby, and defrosted later. Something like that, anyway. > > Well, she didn't actually claim that Scott resulted from when they had sex. > She might have gotten herself pregnant later, from the frozen sperm (or even > extra that she saved), because she missed Dr. Evil so much. In the first movie it was said that a son should be created from Dr. Evil's frozen sperm in case he did not return. And so Scott was created sometime after Dr. Evil was originally frozen..... And I have yet to see the new movie, so this may not be relevent to the discussion. Oh well. ~Sarah, who just spent 8 long hours studying for Chemistry.... Yeech! *Damn that rising entropy!* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:32:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: it's so lame it's actually funny Message-ID: <19990622.003421.-75731.2.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray >I was eating flan today. It was so delicious. Hmm, is that anything like Soylent Green, but instead of made of people, it's made of John? Mmmmm, sounds Flantastic! *yum* Adding one bad pun after another Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-22 ******************************