Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 23 Wednesday, 23 June 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) -Reply TMBG: SETI update TMBG: ARGH!!! Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! Re: TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) -Reply Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers TMBG: Coincidences between TMBG and word.com Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! TMBG: My 6/20 Concert Experience TMBG: samples Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! TMBG: As if you care, my pics NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers TMBG: I'm Sick (of this american life)Real Audio TMBG: flantastic Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers TMBG: flan in the place where you live Re: Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers Re: NON TMBG: Philly vs. The Burgh TMBG: new tmbg recordings Re: TMBG: new tmbg recordings Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:42:59 +0000 Subject: TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) -Reply No idea - this series started off with a story about a maid of a wealthy black family being found strangled in the hotel toilets at a reception to honour the father of said family; turns out he was having an affair with her but it was the son, who was in love with her, who actually murdered her. Ring bells at all? Richard >>> "carlynn@sevenlands.com" 21/June/1999 03:09pm >>> rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > The new series of which is currently being show in the UK on Channel 4 > after midnight on Tuesdays. They must learn their programming skills at > Radio 4! (sorry that's a very British gripe). > Richard Is this the final series? (That just finished here.) CN ~~ ICQ 41099643 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:22:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: SETI update Message-ID: Hello, Well the SETI @home project is really picking up steam now. The people who run it have fixed up their site and the stats have been updating consistantly... Team TMBG has over 470 results done... the #100 team has nearly 700 done... We can still catch them I think... basically just keep up the good work and if you know anybody who may want to run the program tell them about the team... If you haven't joined yet, keep in mind that you can run it as just a screensaver and it doesn't take up any of your computer's resources while you are using it... AND you may find aliens :) http://seti.tmbg.net/ Watch for the new SETI client on around June 28th... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:40:51 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: ARGH!!! Message-ID: <25061-376F4C13-33839@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> When are They gonna' come to L.A.?!?! I keep going to theymightbegiants.com and Pollstar expecting to see L.A. dates, but alas, no success. I have never seen them live, but I'm determined to this year! Someone once told me that they tour here roughly 2 times a year, and they haven't even been here once this year! That must mean that They're comin' soon! L.A. is ready for TMBG!!! -dex ------------------------------ From: phone_book@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:51:31 -0400 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers Message-ID: <19990622.075138.-168235.1.phone_book@juno.com> spider person jen postulated: > Well, she didn't actually claim that Scott resulted from when they > had sex. She might have gotten herself pregnant later, from the frozen > sperm (or even extra that she saved), because she missed Dr. Evil so much. actually--it was made pretty apparent that, unless dr. evil and the german lady had another child, scott was the result of their copulation. if you'll remember, after the fact, dr. evil wondered why things were "weird" between he and the german lady; she replied that she was .. late. impregnated. et cetera. and then we're still confronted with the paradox of scott's age, unless we accept the theory that he may have been removed from the womb and frozen. well. i don't talk much--i've gotta make my presence known sometimes. nobody pays any attention, anyway. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, the man who shares initials with jesus. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622124947.57709.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Elendriel ^_^ Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:49:47 GMT >From: Jim Kuemmerle >Reply-To: Jim Kuemmerle >To: The TMBG Mailing List >Subject: Re: TMBG: Sharpie sigs >Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:36:54 -0600 (MDT) > >On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > > > Soak it in hot water with tinfoil inbetween the fabric (for protection >if it > > bleeds). That /should/ set it, but as it's been many, many years since I >had > > to do this, my memory is a bit fuzzy. > >with no soap, right? :) Right. :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906221331.JAA13625@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:31:42 -0400 (EDT) > When are They gonna' come to L.A.?!?! I keep going to > theymightbegiants.com and Pollstar expecting to see L.A. dates, but > alas, no success. I have never seen them live, but I'm determined to > this year! Someone once told me that they tour here roughly 2 times a > year, and they haven't even been here once this year! That must mean > that They're comin' soon! L.A. is ready for TMBG!!! -dex > I'd say more like once every other year is more like it for the west coast. It seems like they don't swing out there until they put out a new album. I don't know if Long Tall Weekend would merit such a trip or if they would need to have an album out on CD. /Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <376F9635.D20DE6@sevenlands.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:57:09 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: TMBG: OT: Homicide (was JL looks like who?) -Reply rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > > No idea - this series started off with a story about a maid of a wealthy > black family being found strangled in the hotel toilets at a reception to > honour the father of said family; turns out he was having an affair with > her but it was the son, who was in love with her, who actually > murdered her. Ring bells at all? > Richard Yeah, sure. I remember it well. That definitely isn't the final series. You're a couple of years behind, in fact. CN ~~ ICQ 41099643 ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <204e0ac4.24a1091b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:43:23 EDT Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Austin Powers and towards the end of the movie, Scott goes on Jerry Springer again and the Frau comes out and tells him he's the result of their..umm..union instead of frozen sperm. Maybe Scott just aged really really really well. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:50:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Coincidences between TMBG and word.com Message-ID: (I've been lurking here a long time, so if anyone has already mentioned this, please forgive me.) If anyone else out there is really into both TMBG and the bizarre website word.com, you'll appreciate this: I've noticed three TMBG-related things appearing on word.com, and this seems a little unusual. First, the Tony Millionaire comics. I had known about him (until recently) only from the drinking bird shot glasses and shirts. Then I saw an animated sketch on SNL. That's when I first learned about word.com. I've been reading Tony Millionaire's comics ever since. In the meantime, I got hooked on a another artist's work, namely Michael Kupperman, who does some really incredible stuff. (more about this later.) Second, several weeks ago, word.com featured an interactive filmstrip called "A Little Girl and Boy" by none other than Brian Dewain. This severely freaked me out. Furthermroe the art in this piece looked similar to the "Love" shirt by Brian Dewain advertised in the new catalog. (I've been told that there is a biographical blurb about him, but I don't have graphical access.) The address for this feature is: http://www.word.com/features99/girlandboy/ And speaking of the new catalog, Michael Kupperman is the artist of another new shirt-- the one that shows two children on the front and a flying carpet on the back. He, too, is a featured artist on word.com. You can find stuff by both Tony Millionaire and Michael Kupperman by going to http://www.word.com/komix/ and selecting "Archive by Author" Does anyone have any thoughts about these frightening coincidences? (And if anyone out there is a word.com AND a TMBG fan, drop me a line. Because when the universe explodes, we will be the ones throwin' the best parties.) Joe ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:52:54 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! Message-ID: <19990622.105302.17174.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Someone once told me that they tour here roughly 2 times a >year, hahaa... they typically tour the west coast once every two years. which basically sits well with the "release an album every 2 years" schedule. Unfortunately, they've fallen off of that schedule and thus, will probably not be doing an extensive tour of the west for a long while. ***BUT*** they'll be in Denver on July 16th. It's only a 25 hour greyhound bus trip (hehee... don't ask me why i know) from LA to Denver... if i have a house then i'd be more than willing to give up soem floor space for anyone that wants to travel out here for the gig but i can't be sure... i can definately offer to drive anyone around if need be. :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4dacd154.24a12990@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:01:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: My 6/20 Concert Experience Here I come again, I don't think anybody here mentioned the fact that Linnell played Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again" at the 6/19 show. I really enjoyed that one more than hearing "The Sign" at the 6/20 show. ("And I don't know this song, I saw The Sign" hee hee). OK, about the Central Park thingy, my husband woke me up at 12 pm. My husband said I was dead asleep, so he let me sleep in, and he thought the show started at 3 pm, not 1 pm. So upon hearing my husband utter the time, I dove out of bed, and threw open my drawers, frantically pulling items of clothing on. My family and I drove to NYC, and after having a number of obstacles turn up (street blocked off for block-long sidewalk sale, a good number of one way streets not going the way we wished them to), we luckily managed to squeeze into a small parking space along 70th Street, about 2 blocks from the Central Park entrance. There was a lot of weekend park activity going on, and we walked up to the Summerstage area, which was already pretty crowded. We saw the bleachers were pretty empty yet, so we went all the way up to the top. We had a nice broad view of the entire crowd as well as the stage. I had only seen TMBG up close in concert before (2 times), and I thought this would give me a perfect opportunity to see a large crowd's reaction to the band -- as well as how They would interact with a larger audience than usual. I found myself constantly thinking about how such a gathering would be wonderful promotion for the band. By the time the Johns took the stage, it was standing room only. The first group to come out was the Gestures dance group. Since my daughter, Lamberly, has a double recital coming up this weekend in Ballet and Jazz, it was a nice way for her to see just how complex dance routines can become. When you're a dancer, you find out just how much of it is memorization of the steps, as well as being in sync with the others on stage, and of course doing the steps correctly. Lamberly said "Wow, how can they remember all of those steps?" I imagine being a musician isn't all that much easier :-) Next, was the Raymond Scott Orchestrette. They were very good...every one of those men on that stage are very talented, and I applaud them for their dedication to the work of yet another not extremely well-known musical genius. I talked with my mother on the phone after I had wished my father a Happy Father's Day, and she said that she remembers Raymond Scott very well. She said he was married to Dorothy Collins, a vocalist. I looked up Raymond Scott's biography online, and it's an interesting one all right -- I found out that Mr. Scott was a bandleader on the syndicated radio show, "Your Hit Parade," with his second wife Dorothy Collins as featured vocalist. Also, my mom wanted to know what the name of the band I went to see was again. I said "They Might Be Giants," and suddenly I realized the perfect way to get my mom to remember They's name: knowing what a fanatical mystery-lover my mom is (she owns every Agatha Christie book, and they are quite large in number), I told her "It was a movie with George C. Scott. He was a mental patient who thought he was Sherlock Holmes. Remember that one?" And right away she went "Oh! I saw that movie. Yes, They Might Be Giants. That was a good one." I think my little plan worked. Heh heh. OK, so having been distracted onto a God-awful tangent (sorry bout that), the Gigantor theme (which excites me very much) started playing, and TMBG came out onto the stage. It was an absolutely wonderful show. I took at least one pic of the band for each song that was sung...I'm sure the pics will be like 2 little Johns and 3 tiny Dans hopping about the stage :-) Got to see Linnell gracefully rubbing sun lotion onto his "trucker's arm" which he stated had something like an SPF of 50 :-) "That'll work," quoth he. And there is something truly spiritual about watching the band struggle (on purpose it seemed to me -- how delightful!) to segue into the next song....and how about that amusing comical argument the Johns posed to the audience -- "John L: How many of you out there think the bass drum could be louder?" A large cheer brought John L. to say that the crowd had spoken. Undaunted, John F. hit his drum one more time, then quickly pointed to someone out in the audience "There's one satisfied customer right there!" And when they were kind enough to play "Spider" by request, I became quite giddy. I've been teasing my son with words from Spider ever since I first heard it about two months ago. Number Three and the acoustic version of Istanbul sounded great at this venue. After the show was over, we all basically took a slow stroll back to the car, and called it a day...what a great time we all had! (my own personal Long Tall Weekend). Love, Karen "Brooklyn's Harry Warnow lives and breathes in the mass cultural consciousness" Riley :-) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:28:50 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: samples Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Incidentally, most of the samples used in the remixes are from non-TMBG > sources. In fact, I thought that all of them were, until I saw someone > mention that "Someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas" was spoken by > none other than Linnell. Is this true? Are any other samples used in the > remixes from the Johns Themselves? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan Mulac "This is a recording!" DeHoff i don't know what the original source is for this, but the "this is a recording!" was used in de la soul's "this is a recording 4 living in a fulltime era (L.I.F.E.)" from 3 ft. high & rising, circa 1989. --jim kuemmerle, myself, and i... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:09:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: ARGH!!! In a message dated 6/22/99 2:33:41 PM GMT Daylight Time, elrond@charm.net writes: << I'd say more like once every other year is more like it for the west coast. It seems like they don't swing out there until they put out a new album. I don't know if Long Tall Weekend would merit such a trip or if they would need to have an album out on CD. /Matt >> Yeah, it sucks being in CA. Last time they came out was, of course, the STD tour, and they only did two shows down here! And, by some unfortunate coincidence, i couldnt make either...gah! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <376FD9D9.C776CBAF@mail.hcc.cc.fl.us> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:45:46 -0400 From: Bert Rubini Organization: none Subject: TMBG: As if you care, my pics Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon here (a bit late__), you can find not ONE but TWO photos of me at this site. (one looking normal, one looking psycho): http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/services/faculty/bertrubini/pics.html > ~Sarah, who just spent 8 long hours studying for > Chemistry.... Yeech! > ALLRIGHT! Way to go! Chemistry -- YEAH!!! But don't you think 8 hours is a little skimpy? I always recommend 10 - 12 hours a day. bert r........ (a chemistry professor) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:05:09 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > While we're on the subject of ridiculous nit-picking, however, I did wonder > why, if Scott was the result of the 1969 union of Dr. Evil and Frau > Whatshername, he wasn't older... but nathan, he's older now! --jim kuemmerle, who couldn't resist... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ 6/19 -- ZIVIO at the international festival, ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING, 12 noon & 8 pm; sorry, no other details available. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906221931.PAA02921@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:31:42 -0400 (EDT) > On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > While we're on the subject of ridiculous nit-picking, however, I did wonder > > why, if Scott was the result of the 1969 union of Dr. Evil and Frau > > Whatshername, he wasn't older... > > but nathan, he's older now! > Older than he's ever been. Perhaps Frau went forward in time after the baby was born and delivered Scott, as a baby, to Dr. Evil's cronies prior to him being unfrozen in 1997. There was a time travel device in the 60s afterall. She then could have gone back to the 60s to leave her 90s self in charge, and unaware, of Scott. Either that, or she knew all along but chose not to tell Scott until they went on Springer. What a confusing, strange story! /Matt ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:13:57 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Message-ID: <19990622.161744.4398.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Matt James theorized (well, so did a lot of people, but I've already deleted them): >Perhaps Frau went forward in time after the baby was born and >delivered Scott, as a baby, to Dr. Evil's cronies prior to him >being unfrozen in 1997. There was a time travel device in the 60s >afterall. She then could have gone back to the 60s to leave her >90s self in charge, and unaware, of Scott. Either that, or she >knew all along but chose not to tell Scott until they went on Springer. Or perhaps Scott is really a cat person that Frau raised out of her army of cats, in between watching Star Trek stuff... No, wait, that sounds more like the Frau at my school. Or maybe all women called Frau are like that. Hm. Well, I don't care. He wore nail polish, and that's good enough for me! ever-sincere, eriKa, it takes a giant to make life simple. unless you're barefoot. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:34:33 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > more like the Frau at my school. Or maybe all women called Frau are like > that. Hm. You mean, *German* Women? --Jamal "Eeeek, bad reference, eeeek" Rogers ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:33:46 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Ok. If Scott was indeed a love child between Dr. Evil and Frau, that only happened after Dr. Evil drank Austin Power's MoJo. So, in the first movie, Dr. Evil hadn't yet drank the MoJo, so he probably wouldn't have uh, "shagged," Frau. Or had he? But in the first past in the first movie I don't think Dr. Evil would have found Frau attractive because he didn't have the MoJo. Yet Scott still existed. Though I guess you could say Dr. Evil did drink the MoJo before the first movie, because all of what happened in the 60's in the second movie technically happened before the first movie? Or maybe the first movie was on a different space-time continum and had a different past all together. This is very perplexing, and I guess it's one of those things we're not supposed to worry about. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622211121.29957.rocketmail@web214.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:11:21 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: I'm Sick (of this american life)Real Audio hey everbody that song from an npr show that wasn't played or something can be found at http://www.thislife.org/pages/archive98.html you have to scroll down to the bottom and then up some the page is long. the song is preety cool too. _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990622211945.28564.rocketmail@web208.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:19:45 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: flantastic >>I was eating flan today. It was so delicious. >Hmm, is that anything like Soylent Green, but instead >of made of people, >it's made of John? Mmmmm, sounds Flantastic! *yum* my cousin was in a band called flan once they weren't all that flantastic. they pronced it w/ an accent though so it was like flaun sort of i don't know _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906222140.RAA21326@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:40:44 -0400 (EDT) > Ok. If Scott was indeed a love child between Dr. Evil and Frau, that only > happened after Dr. Evil drank Austin Power's MoJo. So, in the first movie, > Dr. Evil hadn't yet drank the MoJo, so he probably wouldn't have uh, > "shagged," Frau. Or had he? But in the first past in the first movie I > don't think Dr. Evil would have found Frau attractive because he didn't have > the MoJo. Yet Scott still existed. Though I guess you could say Dr. Evil > did drink the MoJo before the first movie, because all of what happened in > the 60's in the second movie technically happened before the first movie? Or > maybe the first movie was on a different space-time continum and had a > different past all together. > Actually, if you remember, the first movie took place in 1967 and 1997. The second movie took place in 1969 and 1999. So when Dr. Evil went back to the 60s, he entered 1969, *after* his 60s counterpart had been frozen for 2 years. When Austin goes back to 1969 he sees himself frozen (as he had been frozen for 2 years). So the first movie's 60s sequences happened before the second movie's 60s sequences. It was the 90s Dr. Evil that got the Mojo injection, so the 90s Dr. Evil impregnated the 60s Frau. Dr. Evil got away so Frau must have been left with the baby Scott. In order for Scott to be in his teens in the 90s, he must have been taken forward in time through the swirly time teleporter to the 90s. My only guess is that the 60s Frau must have gone back to the 60s. Or was the teleporter destroyed? I can't remember. That's my take on it, Matt ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <373de541.24a1581e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:20:30 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers In a message dated 99-06-22 17:10:45 EDT, DKocar@aol.com writes: << This is very perplexing, and I guess it's one of those things we're not supposed to worry about. >> Exactly. Let's worry more about what state the Simpson's live in. Bat ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:05:20 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377008A0.7F8DF06C@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 99-06-22 17:10:45 EDT, DKocar@aol.com writes: > > << This is very perplexing, and I guess it's one of those things we're not > supposed to worry about. > >> > > Exactly. Let's worry more about what state the Simpson's live in. > > Bat Actually, they finally revealed that last season. Springfield was _moved_ by the citizenry however, so their current state is another mystery. But the state that Springfield was in for two years was@)YU*#$@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:02:33 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377007F9.4C9C7965@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Austin Powers > This is very perplexing, and I guess it's one of those things we're not > supposed to worry about. > > Diana "I hate temporal mechanics!" --Chief O'Brien, Star Trek: DS9 Hee Hee! I like watching you folks try to figure out the temporal business in AP2:TSWSM!!! As a fan of Dr. Who, various other fiction, and Time Travel in general, it does my heart good to see honest, hard working people, drive themselves insane by attempting to map the unknown and impossible!!!!! Yay! ^_____^ Mike "It's making me want to see that movie!" Leffel ---I sent this message on DEC. 08, 2331! But I wrote it in an alternate reality AUG. 45, 67q288y!!!! Hoo HA! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990623011056.23105.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: flan in the place where you live Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:10:56 PDT >>> Hmm, is that anything like Soylent Green, but instead of made of people, it's made of John? Mmmmm, sounds Flantastic! *yum* >>> Nope. It involves a lot of egg yolks and condensed milk. Guaranteed to cause heart attacks, but it's SO GOOD. >>> my cousin was in a band called flan once they weren't all that flantastic. they pronced it w/ an accent though so it was like flaun sort of i don't know >>> Actually, that's the correct pronunciation. Like flahn.... Because it means custard. ======= -Keembearlee "Obiwan Kenobi told me in the lobby" http://visitweb.com/keembearlee ===== _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906230124.VAA38666@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:25:01 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Re: Listee Picture(s) and Austin Powers At 10:00 PM 6/21/99 -0400, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > >Jason Fickley said: >>Seriously, though, I happen to live in the Burgh and I too think it's >quite >>a keen city. > >Were you at the BF5 show? Sadly, no I was not, though I am a huge fan. When I asked my boss if I could get off work to attend a concert he looked at me as if he'd been asked for a lightly grilled weasel in a bun with french fries :) (wow, first an MF reference and now a Hitchhiker's reference. I'm on fire!) >Were you standing next to me in the meet and >greet crowd? Because I was talking to a tall guy named Jason there. He >was really nice, and said he was in a band called Silent Jason... I was >just wondering, as if there's only one guy in Pittsburgh named Jason. hmmm...that must have been an out-of-towner, because there is in fact only one guy in Pittsburgh named Jason. In fact, I often use that to identify myself. ("What's your name?" "Jason." "Jason who?" "You know, the one from Pittsburgh." "Oh, ok.") --Jason (from Pittsburgh)-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906230132.VAA34926@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:33:44 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: Slightly TMBG: Austin Powers At 06:45 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Jason Fickley wrote: >>At 04:18 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >> >To add a little more TMBG content to this post, one of the previews > >> >shown >> >before the movie was for "Inspector Gadget." In it, someone asked > >the >> >villain whether he would be called "Mr. Klaw." Okay, so it was > >> >probably >> >actually "Claw" (with a C), but that didn't stop me from thinking > >of >>the TMBG song. >> >>Doesn't he have his phD (for evil?) in Inspector Gadget, thus making >him >>Dr. Claw? > >I'm pretty sure he was Dr. Claw in the cartoon. (He didn't spend four years >in evil medical school to be called Mr. Claw.) According to the movie >preview, however, he's just going to be "Claw" in that. (And they're going >to be showing his face, apparently.) Perhaps we get to see him earn his degree in the movie, become horribly scarred from something (Go go Gadget buzzsaw?) and start sitting in a chair with his back to the camera, stroking his cat. That's the way it should be! Also, Brain better have little anntenae that come up out of his collar! Go go Gadget sig! --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906230137.VAA33196@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:38:52 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Philly vs. The Burgh At 08:59 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >>I was just wondering, as if there's only one guy in Pittsburgh named >> >Jason. > >Yes, Pittsburgh is a one-Jason town. All the more reason why Philadelphia >should conquer it in an agrarian revolt. As the sole Jason of the city of Pittsburgh, I will defend our fair city against those dirty Philadelphians! If they're anything like Eric Lindros of the Philadelphia Flyers, they should go down fairly easily! (ooooooooooohhhhh......) --Jason-- "Pittsburgher sounds a lot better than Philadelphian anyway!" ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:04:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: new tmbg recordings Does any one have a tape of the 6/20/99 concert at the summerstage or know anyone that does?? I went, was not smart enough to recorded it myself, and now would love to trade for it. I will 2 for 1 trade, or I also have the 12/31/98 tramps concert, and the 4/27/97 Purdue University concert. PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY if you have information, because I AM NOT ON THE LIST. I will be very grateful for any replies. Damn TDK. Matt--Blame it on Pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointment." ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <6b4c8201.24a1aeb4@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:29:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: new tmbg recordings In a message dated 06.22.99 10.29.52 PM, DrWormX@AOL.COM writes: <> same for me tooo! :) someone on the newsgroup has mp3's, but never replied to my email about a possible tape trade.. i need a copy! i was there! c'mon! :} sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990623041957.01ad0b74@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:19:57 -0400 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix/ PEOPLES At 10:27 PM 6/21/99 EDT, you wrote: > Did PBS _use_ that *FROM* the TMBG song?>> > >believe it or not, supposedly that "edit." is from a janet jackson song. It definitely is. I didn't believe it, until I was shown the evidence. I think it's off Rhythm Nation. As are "This is a recording" and "You're not taping this, are you?" Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "The only people for me are the mad ones: mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:21:41 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: The 'EDIT' in that one Istanbul Remix Message-ID: On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Mitchell Harding wrote: > It definitely is. I didn't believe it, until I was shown the evidence. I > think it's off Rhythm Nation. As are "This is a recording" and "You're not > taping this, are you?" i always thought the "you're not taping this, are you?" was from this PSA commercial about some idiot who's capturing on camcorder his family's descent into the storm cellar during a tornado's approach, hence the catchy juxtaposition with the "white tornado" stuff... --jim kuemmerle, who's a *real* tornado, and is not in new york city, baby... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-23 ******************************