Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 26 Saturday, 26 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: another simpson reference NON-TMBG: michael moore TMBG: Questions TMBG: apollo 18?? Re: TMBG: updated TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? TMBG: CO shows. Re: TMBG: Questions TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Re: TMBG: Questions Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? Re: TMBG: Questions Re: TMBG: apollo 18?? Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? -Reply TMBG: simpsons reference Re: TMBG: simpsons reference Re: TMBG: another simpson reference Re: TMBG: another simpson reference Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <8930ff9d.24a47a90@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 02:24:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: another simpson reference In a message dated 99-06-24 21:47:14 EDT, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: << Hmmm.... I just saw that episode last week (for the first time) and I was thinking, hey, so that's what everyone was talking about... and I still failed to catch the actual sight of "Hall of Heads".... I guess I'm just ignorant... >> It was my second time seein the episode, and i kept a firm look out for the sign, and i knew what to expect the second time around, and i STILL didnt see it! someones on something, and it aint cheese whiz <> Another thing for sure...he's definitly a Leanord Nimoy fan. Man, if I here another Leanord Nimoy or star trek joke outta that guy, I'm gonna go postal... and i mean serious bang bang!!! Bat 'Leanord Nimoy's head" Brain ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199906250634.CAA09876@smtp.snet.net> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 02:29:37 -0400 Subject: NON-TMBG: michael moore > > Mike "Busy! Must not read!! GA!" Leffel > ----EVERYBODY VOTE MICHAEL MOORE FOR PRESIDENT! yeck. mike moore sits next to me in history... he smells to bad to be president. he'd scare all the foreign politicians away. jen so... if you pull the wings off a fly, does it become a walk? ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 02:36:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Questions Hey y'all. First off, I'd like to say I just got my newsletter today and I was impressed. It was well done. Excitin new stuff, yah? I also enjoyed the profiles of the Dans (needed that). The writings of the Johns were cool. As well as the advertisement for the concert that took place a week ago. Real smooth. Anyway, onto the questions... 1. Long Tall Weekend. How much to get? How big is the file (memory-wise)? 2. What exactly are the velcro horns? Heard the term floatin around, and I've never seen Them live as to know what they are... 3. I did have another question, and I forget what it was... Bat ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990625103151.45162.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Crystal Cooper Subject: TMBG: apollo 18?? Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 03:31:46 PDT hi everyone i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions supposed to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "who's going to build my death ray and grow poison flowers with me?" - mono puff e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org Coming Up For Air - Crystal's Ben Folds Five page: http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/index.html ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6546c750.24a4b78e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:44:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: updated In a message dated 99-06-24 21:53:37 EDT, you write: > > www.theymightbegiants.com has been updated today. what does everyone think > > tmbg radio is gonna be? eRiCh > Personally, I'm reminded of Offspring.com's "radio" which is basically a 60-minute RealAudio feed of various songs by the band, with the site's visitors voting for which songs should be played most often. The "radio" changes song order every so often, etcetera./ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:56:13 -0600 From: "Jeremiah" Message-ID: <7l08qu$pln$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? Crystal Cooper wrote in message <19990625103151.45162.qmail@hotmail.com>... >hi everyone >i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like >fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions supposed >to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across >just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it >doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps >telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't >know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i >thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone >else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? >and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama >references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. > >Crystal That is freaky. Everyone I know who has Apollo 18 has all 34 or 36 tracks (I forget how many). I think you have cd's that were created in the nazi prison camps. ( yes I know TMBG wasn't around then) Jeremiah ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:05:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? In a message dated 6/25/99 11:01:47 AM EST, mya@sade.com writes: << Crystal Cooper wrote in message <19990625103151.45162.qmail@hotmail.com>... >hi everyone >i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like >fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions supposed >to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across >just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it >doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps >telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't >know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i >thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone >else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? >and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama >references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. > >Crystal That is freaky. Everyone I know who has Apollo 18 has all 34 or 36 tracks (I forget how many). I think you have cd's that were created in the nazi prison camps. ( yes I know TMBG wasn't around then) Jeremiah >> Well, there was a mistake in the printing of European copies of Apollo 18 and the "Fingertips" tracks were printed as one track on those cds. That info may be on the FAQ, but I'm not sure. Kay ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:04:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? In a message dated 6/25/99 12:01:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mya@sade.com writes: << Crystal Cooper wrote in message <19990625103151.45162.qmail@hotmail.com>... >hi everyone >i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like >fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions supposed >to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across >just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it >doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps >telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't >know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i >thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone >else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? >and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama >references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. > >Crystal >> I think I remember reading somewhere that the German version of Apollo 18 only has 18 tracks. Karen "Where's your special tool?" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:37:54 -0600 Subject: TMBG: CO shows. Message-ID: <19990625.103757.17438.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> July 15th - Ft Collins, CO - Aggie Theater July 16th - Denver, CO - LoDo Music Fest I would just like to officially say, woohoo! hehee... two colorado gigs the nights before i split :) hahaa, ok. i've had my fun rubbing this in all the other western peeps faces. i'll return to my recent state of lurking (don't fear, i'll be back to my list filling self when the shows are getting closer). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990625165223.8186.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:52:23 PDT Batbrain wrote: >2. What exactly are the velcro horns? Heard the term floatin around, and >I've never seen Them live as to know what they are... They're horn players who occasionally perform with TMBG. I think they might be Jim O'Connor and Dan Levine, but I'm not sure. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Johnny Levine, everybody!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <8d3ade0a.24a5061f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:19:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Hello again, I've had these wonderings floating around in my head for the past couple of days, and thought I'd post them to all you friendly, knowledgeable folk: 1) I found an interesting chat with Frank Zappa in the August 1987 issue of Rolling Stone (Twentieth Anniversary Issue: The 100 Best Albums of the Last Twenty Years), and I remembered that John Linnell once said that he considered Frank to be one of his musical influences. Does anybody know if Mr. Zappa, Linnell and Flans were friends, acquaintances, or did they ever work together at any point? 2) I was curious as to whether the song "Stomp Box" has ever been played live? If it has been, when and where was that...and did they include horns? 3) The three times I've seen TMBG, which was very recently, TMBG didn't play any horns onstage...does anybody know why this is? Thanks, and if I can think of any other way to bother you people with more random thoughts trapped inside my head, I'm sure you all will be mercilessly exposed to them ;-) Lovingly, yet bewilderingly yours, Karen "The Inspiration Mega-Mix" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990625170551.43660.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:05:50 PDT Karen Riley wrote: > 2) I was curious as to whether the song "Stomp Box" has ever >been >played >live? If it has been, when and where was that...and did they include > >horns? I've heard a live recording (is that an oxymoron?) of "Stomp Box" before, but I don't remember much about it. It might still be up at TDK's site, though. > 3) The three times I've seen TMBG, which was very recently, TMBG > >didn't play any horns onstage...does anybody know why this is? They don't bring the horn players to all that many gigs, possibly because of monetary issues. (They have to pay those guys, y'know.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill me now" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906251707.NAA24693@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:07:39 -0400 (EDT) Hello there, > 2) I was curious as to whether the song "Stomp Box" has ever been played > live? If it has been, when and where was that...and did they include horns? They have, indeed, played Stomp Box live during the John Henry tour. And it seems to have been a song left behind from the John Henry tour. I loved hear it live and I believe it might have included horns when I saw it, although I cannot guarantee I'm remembering that correctly. The only place I can definitely remember hearing it was at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. > > 3) The three times I've seen TMBG, which was very recently, TMBG didn't > play any horns onstage...does anybody know why this is? The horns are not entirely essential although they do generally enhance the concert experience. Because of this, TMBG doesn't feel like they have to take them along on every tour with them. They're more likely to bring them along during an album tour, as opposed to a lot of the random touring they do. They have to pay the horn players part of the money they earn from shows and if the concert venue isn't paying them enough money to cover the horn players then they won't bring them. Tootaloo, /Matt ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: <4976f158.24a51c8d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:55:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions In a message dated 6/25/99 9:53:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << They're horn players who occasionally perform with TMBG. I think they might be Jim O'Connor and Dan Levine, but I'm not sure. >> Yes. That is correct. Jim & Dan are the mystical and magical Velcro horns! In fact, Jim & Dan are in another band called the Candy Butchers. However, I'm a bit skeptical if they still are because for a few shows they haven't been there. In fact, I attended the Candy Butcher's gig last night at Maxwells.. It was a rockin' show, but there were no Vecro horns. :( I'm just hoping that they will be there for Saturdays 26th show at the Fleadh Fez. But if not...oh well...the Candy Butchers still rock...it's just always a pleasure to hear Jim's & Dan's heavenly brass sound intertwine to the hot rock/pop beat of the Candy Butchers. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <2701e566.24a527e9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:43:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions In a message dated 06.25.99 12.57.49 PM, MuseKJ@AOL.COM writes: << 3) The three times I've seen TMBG, which was very recently, TMBG didn't play any horns onstage...does anybody know why this is? >> i've seen them 6 times now.. and only once have they had the horns. it was an edgefest concert in buffalo ny, august of last year. i'm really surprised they didn't have them at the central park show, considering the fact that it *is* their home area, y'know.. but.. hm. well, i guess that's why they call 'em the velcro horns.. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:20:41 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7l0k49$11jd$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? Jeremiah wrote... > > Crystal Cooper wrote... > >hi everyone > >i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like > >fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions > supposed > >to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across > >just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it > >doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps > >telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't > >know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i > >thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone > >else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? > >and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama > >references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. > > That is freaky. Everyone I know who has Apollo 18 has all 34 or 36 tracks > (I forget how many). I think you have cd's that were created in the nazi > prison camps. ( yes I know TMBG wasn't around then) The European pressing of Apollo 18 got messed up, and Fingertips was relegated to one track. If you want Fingertips split up, you'd need to get an American version. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:24:13 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7l0kat$11n5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Questions wrote in message news:dbb7212.24a47d80@aol.com... > > 1. Long Tall Weekend. How much to get? How big is the file (memory-wise)? The albums at Emusic sell for $8.99, and mp3s usually store music at the rate of a meg a minute, so probably 45 MB is my guess. -Jay ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:55:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: apollo 18?? In a message dated 06.25.99 06.32.57 AM, crystal_bf5@hotmail.com writes: <> eh, don't worry about it. some people just have over-active imaginations. ;) i'm pretty out of the loop as well, i only watched it once or twice. ::yawn:: back to deleting. sarah ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:14:17 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: apollo 18?? -Reply It was printed as one track on the CD but didn't the numbers go from 11 to 38 (or whatever). Richard whose CD players won't let him shuffle either >>> "Kaylum@aol.com" 25/June/1999 06:00pm >>> In a message dated 6/25/99 11:01:47 AM EST, mya@sade.com writes: << Crystal Cooper wrote in message <19990625103151.45162.qmail@hotmail.com>... >hi everyone >i have a question. you know how apollo 18 is supposed to shuffle? like >fingertips is supposed to be many separate tracks? are all versions supposed >to do that? because mine doesn't. i try it on every cd player i come across >just in case it's some weird thing in my house or something, since it >doesn't shuffle on any of the 5 cd players in my house, but it just keeps >telling me there's only 18 tracks. is this supposed to happen? i don't >know... but then mine's a german version. i have three german tmbg cd's. i >thought that was pretty weird when i realised it. but anyway, does anyone >else have a non-shuffling version of apollo 18? or am i the only one? >and you know, i'm totally out of the loop with all these futurama >references, because the show doesn't even air down here in australia yet. > >Crystal That is freaky. Everyone I know who has Apollo 18 has all 34 or 36 tracks (I forget how many). I think you have cd's that were created in the nazi prison camps. ( yes I know TMBG wasn't around then) Jeremiah >> Well, there was a mistake in the printing of European copies of Apollo 18 and the "Fingertips" tracks were printed as one track on those cds. That info may be on the FAQ, but I'm not sure. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990626014159.65581.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: simpsons reference Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:41:56 PDT Wasn't there a list on the fridge that said "Dumb Things I Gotta Do"? Yeah, it could also just be a writer that likes TMBG. Conan O'Brien used to write for the Simpsons... Probably dozens of other people too. It could be anyone. And the writers could have moved to Futurama. ======= -Keembearlee "Obiwan Kenobi told me in the lobby" http://visitweb.com/keembearlee ===== _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <2db4c6e5.24a59763@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:39:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: simpsons reference In a message dated 6/25/99 9:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mydryskin@hotmail.com writes: << Wasn't there a list on the fridge that said "Dumb Things I Gotta Do"? >> Homer writes a suicide letter on a note pad that says "Dumb things I gotta do today" The jokes are that its making fun of those stupid note pads, and that hes writing a suicide letter on it...It doesnt seem like a tmbg reference at all... Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37720647.BB2ADA32@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:19:55 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: another simpson reference I am a firm believer that there has never been genuine reference to TMBG in a Simpsons or Futurama episode but I enjoy reading all of the imagined ones on the list. It might be fun to see someone complile a list of these alleged references on a web page. Or maybe its already been done...? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:36:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377458E6.3F5CB232@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: another simpson reference Bongo wrote: > > I am a firm believer that there has never been genuine reference to TMBG in a Simpsons > or Futurama episode but I enjoy reading all of the imagined ones on the list. It might be > fun to see someone complile a list of these alleged references on a web page. Or maybe > its already been done...? > They referred to that reference list in FUTURAMA, you know. Mike "I LIVE!" Leffel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-26 ******************************