Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 28 Monday, 28 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage Reference TMBG: One for the completists... Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? TMBG: Re: Stealing from the Johns? TMBG: Re: Stealing from the Johns? (none) TMBG: Paying for LTW Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990627061228.01970ba8@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 02:12:28 -0400 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Some Miscellaneous TMBG Questions > 2) I was curious as to whether the song "Stomp Box" has ever been played >live? If it has been, when and where was that...and did they include horns? They played it in Dallas (at the Majestic Theatre) on the John Henry tour. I think I've heard it live on other occasions, but I can't remember for sure. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "The only people for me are the mad ones: mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990627164515.007b8100@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:45:15 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Here's a thought for all those who will, by necessity, have to "steal" Long Tall Weekend. When you have your CD-R of the album, post six bucks to the Johns, and three bucks to GoodNoise. Chances are, the Johns will really appreciate the gesture and start to realise that we aren't all creepy psychos who want to stalk them. What goes around comes around, as one cliche has it. -Ryan P.S. Regarding the $37 I Palindrome I single on eBay - where else do you suggest we find these rarities? Within wishing to invite a hail of ridicule, I paid $51 and $32 respectively for "Live!! New York" and "The Guitar", and have no complaints. Where else would I find them? Don't forget every truly rabid TMBG collector in the world (I'm in Australia) is bidding on these items, so items are sure to mean more to others than they are to you. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bec0ab$42f5d3e0$5999e7ce@z0n4g0> From: "balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 10:42:19 -0400 this sounds like a great idea, and i'm sure the johns will love it. If people are gonna do this I'd be happy to burn LTW for people when it comes out. But we need proof that the money was sent to the johns. -Eric > Here's a thought for all those who will, by necessity, have to "steal" Long > Tall Weekend. When you have your CD-R of the album, post six bucks to the > Johns, and three bucks to GoodNoise. Chances are, the Johns will really > appreciate the gesture and start to realise that we aren't all creepy > psychos who want to stalk them. What goes around comes around, as one > cliche has it. > > -Ryan > > P.S. Regarding the $37 I Palindrome I single on eBay - where else do you > suggest we find these rarities? Within wishing to invite a hail of > ridicule, I paid $51 and $32 respectively for "Live!! New York" and "The > Guitar", and have no complaints. Where else would I find them? Don't > forget every truly rabid TMBG collector in the world (I'm in Australia) is > bidding on these items, so items are sure to mean more to others than they > are to you. > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:37:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage Reference Message-ID: <19990627.113737.2910.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein I think the fans of the actual Severe Tire Damage band (yes, it exists) would probably get more excitement out of it than us. Derek "I like kids and everything, but SHIT!" - JF On Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:45:53 -0400 "Tim Clark" writes: >Don't know if this has been mentioned before but in the movie Mrs.Doubtfire, >when Robin Williams is pretending to be a weird nanny calling on the phone, he >says that he was once in the band "Severe Tire Damage." Yeah, I KNOW the >movie came out before Severe Tire Damage did, but I thought it was pretty cool >anyway... >--Tim ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990628025133.007ba540@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 02:51:33 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: One for the completists... "Doctor Worm" appears on the new JJJ Hottest 100 (Australian compilation album, as voted by listeners to the JJJ radio station)... first 75,000 copies come in limited edition box. Check out: http://triplej.abc.net.au/hot100/cd.htm (...it's at the bottom of the page) -Ryan ------------------------------ From: Alysonmw@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:31:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? In a message dated 6/27/99 10:45:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, balloon@netheaven.com writes: << this sounds like a great idea, and i'm sure the johns will love it. If people are gonna do this I'd be happy to burn LTW for people when it comes out. But we need proof that the money was sent to the johns. >> how about in order to receive the burned copy you must submit a photocopy of a money order that was made out to the appropriate parties (in this case, the johns) aly ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:08:13 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3776688D.C2E48D63@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Stealing from the Johns? Ryan Mooney wrote: > > Here's a thought for all those who will, by necessity, have to "steal" Long > Tall Weekend. When you have your CD-R of the album, post six bucks to the > Johns, and three bucks to GoodNoise. I don't mind giving it to the Johns. But I think Goodnoise should suffer! HA! > Chances are, the Johns will really > appreciate the gesture and start to realise that we aren't all creepy > psychos who want to stalk them. We're creepy psychos who want to give them money!! (my kind of psycho!) > What goes around comes around, as one > cliche has it. > "A good offense is a good defense! You know who said that? Mel the cook, on _Alice_!" --Boot to the Head 2 (laa laa) HEE HEE HEE! I imagine a scene similar to the end of It's A Wonderful Life! John and John just came back from seeing what the world would be like without them, (they were suicidal because only ONE person bought LTW) of course, they didn't care at this point, as long as they had their family. Oh! The feds are here to take them away for not earning any money from LTW! ! Who cares! They're alive! They'll face the music! But suddenly... THE DOOR SWINGS OPEN! UNCLE BILLY COMES IN WITH ALL THE PEOPLE THAT TMBG HAS MADE HAPPY THROUGH THE YEARS, WITH A BIG OL' BASKET OF MOOLAH!! "Teacher says, the bells are ringing, every time you follow an angel!" Says little Hot Cha, with her petals from the poison flowers. Oh, it truly is a wonderful life, John and John! Hey! It's little brother war hero! He's putting money in the basket too! There's the whore! Old Martini! Everybody has come to pay for their burned copy of LTW! Screw you, feds! Screw you, old man Potter! ^__^ Mike "Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight, come out tonight" Leffel > -Ryan > > P.S. Regarding the $37 I Palindrome I single on eBay - where else do you > suggest we find these rarities? In the stomach of the White Whale. I'm setting up an expedition... call me ISHMAEL! > Within wishing to invite a hail of > ridicule, I paid $51 and $32 respectively for "Live!! New York" and "The > Guitar", and have no complaints. Boy, if I had the money I'd buy 'em. (unopened, of course. No used for that price, thank you!)I ain't exactly in Australia, but they're about as rare in the midwest USA as well! Ho! Mike "I don't have enough money to go pee!" Leffel --help me, won't you? For the cost of a cup of coffee you too can help Mike Leffel urinate like a human being. For more information, please visit http://www.payformiketogopee.com/donate.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:22:25 -0500 From: AKA Bob Scott Message-ID: <37766BE1.ED9A76E1@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Stealing from the Johns? Mike Leffel wrote: > THE DOOR SWINGS OPEN! UNCLE BILLY COMES IN WITH ALL THE PEOPLE THAT TMBG HAS > MADE HAPPY THROUGH THE YEARS, WITH A BIG OL' BASKET OF MOOLAH!! > > "Teacher says, the bells are ringing, every time you follow an angel!" > Says little Hot Cha, with her petals from the poison flowers. Oh, it truly is > a wonderful life, John and John! Hey! It's little brother war hero! He's > putting money in the basket too! There's the whore! Old Martini! Everybody has > come to pay for their burned copy of LTW! Screw you, feds! Screw you, old man > Potter! Would you stop practicing posting stuppid mesages!!!? AKA Bob "I really liked the scene in that one Christmas episode of the Simpsons where Homer yells at Lisa for practicing right AFTER they get all the money from the townspeople... Of course, later their house is emptied by these same people, but isn't that really the spirit of Christmas?" SCott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990627191330.26832.rocketmail@web905.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:13:30 -0700 (PDT) From: David Waxler === -David "We've chosen to assume that people listening to our songs are as smart as we are, or smarter. I think that's why people like us." -John Flansburgh (They Might Be Giants) _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990627191806.17454.rocketmail@web904.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:18:06 -0700 (PDT) From: David Waxler Subject: TMBG: Paying for LTW If you don't have the abillity to download and/or play LTW, may I suggest that you simply give the money to someone else and have them download and burn it for you, even if they already have it on their computer. While this might seem abit redundant, it will insure the money goes to the right people. Seems a whole lot easier then trying to send personal checks to J&J... -David === -David "We've chosen to assume that people listening to our songs are as smart as we are, or smarter. I think that's why people like us." -John Flansburgh (They Might Be Giants) _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990628021348.94511.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:13:48 PDT aly wrote: >In a message dated 6/27/99 10:45:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >balloon@netheaven.com writes: > ><< this sounds like a great idea, and i'm sure the johns will love >it. If > people are gonna do this I'd be happy to burn LTW for people when >it >comes > out. But we need proof that the money was sent to the johns. >> > >how about in order to receive the burned copy you must submit a >photocopy >of >a money order that was made out to the appropriate parties (in this >case, >the johns) Or maybe everyone who wants a burned copy should have to bring John and John A SHRUBBERY! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Ni!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:43:46 -0500 From: AKA Bob Scott Message-ID: <37770B92.7558A22D@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Stealing from the Johns? Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Or maybe everyone who wants a burned copy should have to bring John and John > A SHRUBBERY! No no no!!! That's far too simple... I think the Johns would like to see someone cut down a very tall tree with......... A HERRING!!! AKA Bob "Some call me... Tim" Scott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-28 ******************************