Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 30 Wednesday, 30 June 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff TMBG: Dr. Worm Video at www.tunes.com Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) TMBG: Lovelight St. Louis Info TMBG: recent setlists anyone??? Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) TMBG: miscellaneous..... T Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) TMBG: Recording of the NJ 6/19 show Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Re: TMBG: Paying for LTW Re: TMBG: Interview question Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:36:19 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > 2. When's the next time TMBG will be playing in the Los Angeles area? The twelfth of Never. There's a serious TMBG drought out here. Keep checking pollstar.com or tmbg.com, but in my experience TMBG only make it out to the Best Coast (or, at least, the San Francisco Bay Area, which is where I hang my proverbial hat) about once a year. > What... about Careless Santa? Well, it's not really a TMBG song, but I think it would fit... *slap* Okay, okay. > MWAHAHAAA!! good luck. may i remind you all... it's just a full days > drive away. LA to denver. well worth the two shows going on out here :D > if you wanna take greyhound (they've got great 2 for 1 deals) i'm more > than willing to drive ya around... may possibly even have a house then so > if you need floor space... get in touch :D Uhh... aren't you in New York by now, Jordan? --nicole twn *** "A billion here, a billion there... pretty soon you're talking about real money!"--my software engineering professor, on cost control Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E4564135F1FD@mail.schicktech.com> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Video at www.tunes.com Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:53:57 -0400 Hello Exquisite Living People, Go to www.tunes.com and scroll down to the video section... the very first video listed is Dr. Worm by They Might Be Giants!!! This only works every third time you reload the page or something like that. It links over to the www.rollingstone.com site for the video. Yay! Love, Rob Plass --- ----- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990629162118.23429.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:21:18 PDT Nicole Carlson wrote: >On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > 2. When's the next time TMBG will be playing in the Los Angeles > > >area? > >The twelfth of Never. The twelfth? I heard the eleventh! Better change my plans. I'm lucky. TMBG will come to my area on the thirteenth of Smarch. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Lousy Smarch weather!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:49:33 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3778F91D.9FA249B4@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Nicole Carlson wrote: > >On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > > 2. When's the next time TMBG will be playing in the Los Angeles > > > >area? > > > >The twelfth of Never. > > The twelfth? I heard the eleventh! Better change my plans. > > I'm lucky. TMBG will come to my area on the thirteenth of Smarch. > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan Mulac "Lousy Smarch weather!" DeHoff And a glass of water for dippin! Mike "Suprisingly, nothing to add!" Leffel -- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:06:30 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: LA dates and other stuff Message-ID: <19990629.110958.17454.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Uhh... aren't you in New York by now, Jordan? nope... moving on the 17th of july :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html yay! :) ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990629183029.26706.rocketmail@web214.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:30:29 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) For some reason everyone on the list is always talking about carless santa the question is WHY??? i know it's a mono puff song but it must go deeper than that. === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906291841.OAA14312@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:41:20 -0400 (EDT) > For some reason everyone on the list is always talking about carless > santa the question is WHY??? i know it's a mono puff song but it must > go deeper than that. > Well, if you wanna know the real reason...Mrs. Claus caught Santa coming home drunk one night and boy did he get in a lot of doo-doo, she asked him for the keys and voila, no more car for him to drive. Of course, I've always wondered why Santa would have a car if he can fly around in that sleigh of his so much faster. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:04:34 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377918C2.913DBA76@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Matt James wrote: > > > For some reason everyone on the list is always talking about carless > > santa the question is WHY??? i know it's a mono puff song but it must > > go deeper than that. > > > Well, if you wanna know the real reason...Mrs. Claus caught > Santa coming home drunk one night and boy did he get in a lot > of doo-doo, she asked him for the keys and voila, no more car > for him to drive. Of course, I've always wondered why Santa > would have a car if he can fly around in that sleigh of his > so much faster. To pick up elven chicks with big ..presents! it's in the Careless Santa FAQ! ^__^ Mike "HO HO HO and his HO HO HO's" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <377918DD.655A7C89@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:05:01 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) KRS Tyler wrote: > For some reason everyone on the list is always talking about carless > santa the question is WHY??? i know it's a mono puff song but it must > go deeper than that. yeah, we also seem to talk about Careless Santa a lot, even though it's a Mono Puff song... oh, ok. so I think it's time we explain this... On Tuesday, October 21, 1997, "Miscellaneous Tim" (aka mr.train@juno.com) posted a message about TMBG related Christmas songs, and included Careless Santa in the list. Matt James responded a couple hours later and said: > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). the next day, he realized his error, and posted the following: > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > "Good luck, we're all counting on you" -Leslie Nielson and then it got crazy. at one point, I posted, in a very cascaded quote: > you know, in all this cascading, with all these replies, I'm kind of > surprised no one has mentioned Careless Santa... the thread lasted for about a day, and died. a week or so later, it started up again, at which point it pretty much became the longest running in-joke of the tmbg-list. If you're interested in reading it, it begins in Digest #3-294 (10/22/97). The best way to find the thread is do a search through all the digests for "Careless Santa" and pretty much every reference to it after that digest will be related. :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3778585D.3006@stlnet.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:23:41 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Lovelight St. Louis Info I e-mailed a guy at the Riverfront Times about Lovelight and he said that it's a free festival sponsored by energizer and bands play at Gateway mall from 6pm - Midnight. They Might Be Giants would probably be one of the later bands because they are such a big act. Now I just have to decide whether or not to sell my Paul Simon/Bob Dylan ticket to go see TMBG a thirteenth time or see two legends I have never seen. It's a very tough choice. nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3778590E.7B9A@stlnet.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:26:38 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: recent setlists anyone??? Does anyone have any setlists or know what songs they've been playing live for the past two months? also who their current lineup and opener is? Nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37792165.7A846AF3@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:41:25 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > KRS Tyler wrote: > > > For some reason everyone on the list is always talking about carless > > santa the question is WHY??? i know it's a mono puff song but it must > > go deeper than that. > > yeah, we also seem to talk about Careless Santa a lot, even though it's a Mono > Puff song... Well, if we are talking about threads that come up a lot, there's the Careless Santa thread. It isn't quite TMBG, but it's Monpuff and that's close enough, right? And I bet Careless Santa is wearing his OMLT while picking up the Elven Chicks in his car... - Chad ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3779277A.DA2A4DF@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:07:22 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Chad Maloney wrote: > Well, if we are talking about threads that come up a lot, there's > the Careless Santa thread. It isn't quite TMBG, but it's Monpuff and > that's close enough, right? And I bet Careless Santa is wearing his > OMLT while picking up the Elven Chicks in his car... Yeah, but he had to do a 2:1 trade just to get his OMLT, and he's lactose intolerant, and I think he made a TMBG reference the other day. He's also John Linnell's gay lover and killed John Flansburgh, causing TMBG to break up. He's also made a TMBG mix tape to get people interested in them, and is sick of them playing the same basic set over and over again. But I think recently he sold out, even though he hasn't released any new material in a while. any other recurring threads I forgot to include there? :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990629201243.3060.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:12:42 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Chad Maloney wrote: > > > Well, if we are talking about threads that come up a lot, there's > > the Careless Santa thread. It isn't quite TMBG, but it's Monpuff > >and > > that's close enough, right? And I bet Careless Santa is wearing > >his >OMLT while picking up the Elven Chicks in his car... > >Yeah, but he had to do a 2:1 trade just to get his OMLT, and he's >lactose >intolerant, and I think he made a TMBG reference the other day. He's >also >John Linnell's gay lover and killed John Flansburgh, causing TMBG to >break >up. He's also made a TMBG mix tape to get people interested in them, >and >is >sick of them playing the same basic set over and over again. But I >think >recently he sold out, even though he hasn't released any new material >in a >while. Didn't he also discover a hidden track? Something about a spitting contest? He also found some references to TMBG in "The Simpsons." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Dumb things I gotta do today" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Last Album Purchase: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Running With Scissors _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:35:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >Chad Maloney wrote: > > > > > Well, if we are talking about threads that come up a lot, there's > > > the Careless Santa thread. It isn't quite TMBG, but it's Monpuff > >and > > > that's close enough, right? And I bet Careless Santa is wearing > >his > >OMLT while picking up the Elven Chicks in his car... > > > >Yeah, but he had to do a 2:1 trade just to get his OMLT, and he's >lactose > >intolerant, and I think he made a TMBG reference the other day. He's >also > >John Linnell's gay lover and killed John Flansburgh, causing TMBG to >break > >up. He's also made a TMBG mix tape to get people interested in them, >and > >is > >sick of them playing the same basic set over and over again. But I >think > >recently he sold out, even though he hasn't released any new material >in a > >while. > > Didn't he also discover a hidden track? Something about a spitting contest? > He also found some references to TMBG in "The Simpsons." Yeah, like in the episode about the Oklahoma FleshFest. --Jamal "No Fur?" Rogers ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:44:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Message-ID: > > Didn't he also discover a hidden track? Something about a spitting contest? > > He also found some references to TMBG in "The Simpsons." > > Yeah, like in the episode about the Oklahoma FleshFest. I remember that episode. Bart and Lisa made a trip to the concert but got lost on Utopia Parkway. Some guy came up and asked them how they heard about the band, but then Bart called him a buttknob and changed his name to "Brother John Simpson." Then Lisa criticized Bart for having found out about the band by watching an Itchy & Scratchy music video, and decided to spend more time working on her solo project than the Simpsons. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990629205919.41020.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Keem Bearlee Subject: TMBG: miscellaneous..... T Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:59:18 PDT Here's the set they played in Fairfax which was on the 11th of June. She's An Angel, Dr. Worm, She Thinks She's Edith Head, Istanbul, It's So Loud In Here, Birdhouse In Your Soul, Spy, Older, James K. Polk, She's Actual Size, Twisting, Shoehorn With Teeth, Ana Ng, Particle Man, New York City, and The Guitar. Then after "Shoehorn" they played a super fast forwarded version of the same. It was fun. =) I saw The Spy Who Shagged Me over the weekend (FINALLY). I've had a lot of fun saying, "I'm dead sexy" in a Scottish accent. ======= -Keembearlee "Obiwan Kenobi told me in the lobby" http://visitweb.com/keembearlee ===== _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:18:45 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > oh, ok. so I think it's time we explain this... (snippity) thanks for the well-written and painstakingly accurate explanation, lps! --jim kuemmerle, who would've done it himself if he'd had the energy... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37794765.2886A07E@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:23:33 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > I remember that episode. Bart and Lisa made a trip to the concert but got > lost on Utopia Parkway. Some guy came up and asked them how they heard > about the band, but then Bart called him a buttknob and changed his name ^^^^^^^^ you mean an 'AKA' don't you? (damn, there were a lot more recurring threads than I remembered... :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:08:10 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <377951DA.A05B182F@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > >Chad Maloney wrote: > > > > > Well, if we are talking about threads that come up a lot, there's > > > the Careless Santa thread. It isn't quite TMBG, but it's Monpuff > >and > > > that's close enough, right? And I bet Careless Santa is wearing > >his > >OMLT while picking up the Elven Chicks in his car... > > > >Yeah, but he had to do a 2:1 trade just to get his OMLT, and he's >lactose > >intolerant, and I think he made a TMBG reference the other day. He's >also > >John Linnell's gay lover and killed John Flansburgh, causing TMBG to >break > >up. He's also made a TMBG mix tape to get people interested in them, >and > >is > >sick of them playing the same basic set over and over again. But I >think > >recently he sold out, even though he hasn't released any new material >in a > >while. > > Didn't he also discover a hidden track? Something about a spitting contest? > He also found some references to TMBG in "The Simpsons." Who's this 'Mik Laffel' everyone keeps referring to? Bob "But Santa doesn't HAVE a car!" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:09:09 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Recording of the NJ 6/19 show Message-ID: <19990629.210912.2894.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: Derek A Klein Yeah, it was a little while ago, but I kept forgeting to post this. I have a pretty good recording of the 6/19 show at Fastlane in Asbury Park, NJ. If anyone wants to set up a trade, e-mail me. Thanks. Derek "Uh, dummy heads...again!" - JF ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <377990C9.A2A640FD@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:36:41 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Careless Santa (Why?) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Yeah, but he had to do a 2:1 trade just to get his OMLT, and he's lactose > intolerant, and I think he made a TMBG reference the other day. He's also > John Linnell's gay lover and killed John Flansburgh, causing TMBG to break > up. He's also made a TMBG mix tape to get people interested in them, and is > sick of them playing the same basic set over and over again. But I think > recently he sold out, even though he hasn't released any new material in a > while. Right, that's all written on the back of the AKA for ole Careless Santa. Sorry I didn't read up on it. It also says his favorite album is the Blue Dog album. Which one is that? - Chad ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <74ed4ced.24ab043e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:25:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Paying for LTW In a message dated 99-06-27 15:18:18 EDT, you write: > If you don't have the abillity to download and/or play LTW> which I don't > may I suggest that you simply give the money to someone else and have them >download and burn it for you, even if they already have it on their >computer> Great Idea! > While this might seem abit redundant,> Which it does > it will insure the money goes to the right people. Seems a whole lot easier then trying >to send personal checks to J&J... Good point. But I personally don't have many "hookups". Do you (or anyone) suppose you can find me a reliable somebody to make me a CD of LTW? I could really use it! Don't got 'nuff memory on my computer! > > -David -Second verse, same as the first ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <4c114f0.24ab052a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:29:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Interview question In a message dated 99-06-28 12:29:10 EDT, elrond@charm.net writes: >With all of this discussion about LTW, I thought it'd be >a great interview question to ask them what they think about >fans who either don't have a computer, or don't have access >to the website to get LTW. I wonder what they'd say about >this demographic? Do you think they'd give the answer: "This >album is only intended for the technically inclined" or do >you think they'd be more sympathetic to non-mp3ers? I think it would be along the lines of "all our fans are complete nerds, and if they don't have the means of obtaining LTW, they should be more worried about obtaining a computer in which to aid them in their college careers". How much would this bold statement cripple their sales? Surprisingly, not much at all... Dave ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-30 ******************************