Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 6 Sunday, 6 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: old news? TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question TMBG: Fav John Debate (reprise) TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question TMBG: oohh! Re: TMBG: oohh! Re: TMBG: oohh! NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) TMBG: And Now...The Johns In Fabulous Technicolor Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) Re: TMBG: Newbie and a question Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) Re: TMBG: Newbie and a question TMBG: Educated Songs TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demos at emusic.com (sorta) Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demos at emusic.com (sorta) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199906050626.CAA58630@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 02:27:44 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: old news? At 02:10 AM 6/5/99 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >not to be pessimistic, but are we even sure that TMBG have a song in the >movie? Well, I don't think this is too ambiguous: "TMBG PERFORM "DR. EVIL" IN NEW AUSTIN POWERS FILM!. We are proud to announce that the first 60 seconds of the new "Austin Powers" sequel this is by none other than TMBG. Yes, the new TMBG song "Doctor Evil" will open the movie. Highly orchestral and "Goldfinger"-y, the track features Sister Puff Robin Goldwasser on lead vocals. Because the song was a late addition to the film, it will not be on the first soundtrack album (alas) but will be available soon somehow, someway- we promise." They've done some weird things in the past, but somehow I really doubt they would make this up and put it online. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 05:48:07 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3758F257.56D95EB2@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question IMch2@aol.com wrote: > > Hi, I am new to this list, but I have been a fan of TMBG for a long time (5 > years). I would like to open up by asking a question: > Which John do you like better? I happen to like Mike a little better than Joel, but I'm biased because..... my name? :) I don't think a John ever hosted the show though.. what're you talking about? -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 05:49:27 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <3758F2A7.DE3C37FF@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question IMch2@aol.com wrote: > > Hi, I am new to this list, but I have been a fan of TMBG for a long time (5 > years). I would like to open up by asking a question: > Which John do you like better? alright, if you want a serious reply, then Linnell is the better musician, but Flansy is the heart and soul of the group. together they make beautiful pop music. -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 07:55:22 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: Fav John Debate (reprise) Message-ID: <22351-37593A5A-8717@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I'd definetly have to agree that Linnell is the better musician. He's got amazing musical talent, as does Flansy, but, you know. However, as far as who's got the better voice, I'm definetly gonna' have to go with Flans on that one. Linnell has a very good, yet very distinct voice. Flans has better vocal range. He can sing really good in a deep voice (Hear "Moving to the Sun") or in that nasaly voice we all love so much (Hear "First Kiss") as well as a nice smooth higher pitched voice (Hear "The World's Address). So, you see, if you ask me there's really know competition. Oh, and Flans is my fav, just cause he's been my idol ever since I got into TMBG. I'll bet he was alot like me at this age, and I'm gonna' be alot like him when I get to his age (some dream for 13 year old boy, huh? So sue me). me, Dexburger ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:10:07 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Newbie and a question Message-ID: <19990605.111007.4878.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike, in the not too distant future: >I happen to like Mike a little better than Joel, but I'm biased >because..... my name? :) I don't think a John ever hosted the show >though.. what're you talking about? Man, that's so wrong. Joel is so old-school, and the dead pan is great. He was there from the beginning! Although Mike did once eat a giant chunk of butter, so I guess one has to pay him respect for that. Yeah. I dunno. I dig Tom Servo. Dexter hopes to someday be like Flansy! Aw: >some dream for 13 year old boy, huh? So sue me. But remember, you're a cool thirteen year old. The coolest. You and Laura, that is. Besides, it would probably be a lot more difficult to dream to be like Flans if you were a 13 year old girl, now wouldn't it? And with the last name, you're already half way there! ever-sincere, eriKa, sometimes I just can't wait... "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:23:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Jennivere Scagel Subject: TMBG: oohh! Message-ID: linnell!!!!!! he ismy favorite! i too think he's adorable :) and he plays the accordion!!! what more could you want in a man? and he wears the cutest forest green mock turtleneck and black cons. *sigh* his voice is more agreeable to me too...not that i don't like flansy! he's awesome too, but john l...wow! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:41:08 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: oohh! Message-ID: <19990605.104123.15326.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >linnell!!!!!! he ismy favorite! i too think he's adorable :) for the first, uh, 5 years of my fandom i think linnell was definately my fave. but then it got down to it and i realized just how super cool flansy is to his fans and what a jacka$$ linnell is and i quickly changed my mind. not to mention that i tend to enjoy my mono puff cd's more than my tmbg ones as of late. and come on... he's married to sister puff! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Fruvous in 5 days. Rafting on the arkansas r. in 6 KTCL's big adventure 6/20 TMBG in 41 days :D NYC in 43 days :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:24:13 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: oohh! Message-ID: <22348-37595D3D-16328@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> --WebTV-Mail-1928075-9426 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Flansy is definetly more sociable, but Linnell is no jack-ass. He goes and performs for his fans, and that's enough in my book. --WebTV-Mail-1928075-9426 Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Message/RFC822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit Received: from mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (209.240.198.99) by postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net; Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:48:05 -0700 (PDT) Return-Path: Received: from ussenterprise.ufp.org (ussenterprise.ufp.org [209.249.97.242]) by mailsorter-102-2.iap.bryant.webtv.net (8.8.8/ms.graham.14Aug97) with ESMTP id JAA26827 for ; Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:48:04 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with SMTP id MAA08609; Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:30:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list) Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:29:59 -0400 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) id MAA08582 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:29:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from x18.boston.juno.com (x18.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.2) with ESMTP id MAA08570 for ; Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:29:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from tmbgirl@juno.com) From: tmbgirl@juno.com Received: (from tmbgirl@juno.com) by x18.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id ECC56VUN; Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:46:35 EDT To: jmsca@conncoll.edu Cc: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:41:08 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: oohh! Message-ID: <19990605.104123.15326.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> References: X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,6-13 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com >linnell!!!!!! he ismy favorite! i too think he's adorable :) for the first, uh, 5 years of my fandom i think linnell was definately my fave. but then it got down to it and i realized just how super cool flansy is to his fans and what a jacka$$ linnell is and i quickly changed my mind. not to mention that i tend to enjoy my mono puff cd's more than my tmbg ones as of late. and come on... he's married to sister puff! :D take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Fruvous in 5 days. Rafting on the arkansas r. in 6 KTCL's big adventure 6/20 TMBG in 41 days :D NYC in 43 days :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] --WebTV-Mail-1928075-9426-- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:40:50 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37596122.C4D5D2DD@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Mike, in the not too distant future: > >I happen to like Mike a little better than Joel, but I'm biased > >because..... my name? :) I don't think a John ever hosted the show > >though.. what're you talking about? > > Man, that's so wrong. Joel is so old-school, and the dead pan is great. > He was there from the beginning! Although Mike did once eat a giant chunk > of butter, so I guess one has to pay him respect for that. Yeah. I dunno. > I dig Tom Servo. Well, in my book, Joel is the better one, but there is one way for anyone to realize how similar they really are: Take a look at an old episode that was good... Then take a look at a newer episode that was good. (i.e.: Manos:The Hands of Fate and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed up Zombies)...You'll probably find the older one funny, but it will be impossible (in most cases, except maybe The Girl in the Gold Boots or even Jack Frost...) to find the newer episode completely unfunny. AKA Bob "compleetlee unfunnee" SCott ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <31e84056.248ace67@aol.com> Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:03:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: And Now...The Johns In Fabulous Technicolor Gee, one day after I talk to the Fastlane, and they've already updated their website with the TMBG concert info (and one of the best online pics I've ever seen of the Johns). Here is the URL: http://www.asburybaronet-fastlane.com/shows.html I've been told that Ticketmaster.com should be selling tickets for the show come Monday -- but if by some chance it isn't, somebody from the TMBG camp is going to be giving Ticketmaster a call. According to the Fastlane site, the info I relayed previously concerning the show has not changed. Show is on June 19th, 8 PM doors open, tix $15 in advance and $17 at the door, an all-ages show. If anyone needs directions to the club, e-mail me. I know the area pretty well since I grew up in the town next door. I'll be there, so if you're going, I'll be the woman with the two teens in tow (my kids, Terry and Lamberly are coming). Probably the only woman there with two teens in tow . Karen "Now stop that moshing, you punks!" Riley ;-) MuseKJ@aol.com ''Absolutely the lyric to me is 95 percent of what a song is. The singer is portraying a playlet to the audience, involving the audience in what he is saying. If the melody is attractive, that's frosting on the cake. The lyric is the cake.'' ~ ~ Mel Torme ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990605151050.009211d0@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 15:13:07 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a Well, I personally love Joel much, much more. While there are occassionally some funny parts to Mike episodes, the Joel ones (IMO) were consistently funnier. It's not uncommon for me to watch a Mike episode and not laugh until the second hour. Once they get going, they're funny, but the build-up is usually pretty painful. It's been my experience (from talking to others and such) that whoever hosted when you started watching is probably the one you like best. I started watching around the 4th season (when I got Comedy Central), so Joel's my fav. -Adam -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:06:42 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <37594B12.A87F84CA@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) Bob Scott wrote: > Became Mixed up Zombies)...You'll probably find the older one funny, but it > will be impossible (in most cases, except maybe The Girl in the Gold Boots or > even Jack Frost...) to find the newer episode completely unfunny. Girl in Gold Boots was okay, but Jack Frost was kick-ass! Actually I'm quite enamored with the show as of late, I think the quality is better than the earlier years, but hey, everyone's opinions are what makes the world go round, yadda yadda yadda. Once you've seen 903-PUMA MAN, 910-FINAL SACRIFICE and 911-DEVIL FISH (to name just a few recent episodes where your jaw muscles hurt from laughing) you never go back baby! -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3759A03E.F5E21C9E@airmail.net> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:10:06 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Newbie and a question Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Batbrain wrote: > >And (i know im gonna recieve some boos for this one) he > >doesnt need a second band to feel good about himself. > > Well, Linnell has done solo work, too. He just hasn't had a chance (or the > initiative, perhaps) to release it anywhere (except through Hello). I imagine its more initiative than anything. From the impressions I've gotten, Flans is the one with the business head (remember Hello was *his* baby). Linnell doesn't strike me as being terribly ambitious, not that that's a bad thing. ;) I'm more of a Linnell fan myself, but I also realize that's mostly because I identify with him more (and not because Flans is lacking in any particular area). Maybe it's because we're both Geminis. ;) But actually, it's more likely that it's because I have a thing for short men with a weird streak. Oh, no, I've said too much... ;) Danielle ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 19:15:47 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) In a message dated 6/5/99 3:15:48 PM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: >Well, I personally love Joel much, much more. While there are >It's been my experience (from talking to others and such) that whoever >hosted when you started watching is probably the one you like best. I >started watching around the 4th season (when I got Comedy Central), so >Joel's my fav. bah. i started watching mst in the joel years, and i ended up liking mr. nelson better. and for the record - i started watching talk soup during kinnear's time, and i like john henson better. hah! ...that was actually going to be my answer to favourite john, but you all beat me to the sarcasm stuff. and, while i'm at it: started watching the daily show during craig's episodes, and i like jon stewart better. hah. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger (who put the colour blocks in my guest book?) np. blur - "leisure" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 21:25:24 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Newbie and a question Message-id: <3759F834.486D@wmich.edu> Okay here goes..... When I first got into TMBG I discovered a VHS tape which had a clip of WDTSS from a Conan O'Brian appearence. Why we had this on tape no one knew. I think it was fate. Anyway, ever sense I saw that I have loved Linnell. I like his voice better, and 'his' songs tend to be my favourites. He's really quite handsome in my eyes. He seems to be more musical and more like the type of person I would like to know. I can't really explain it, 'cuz I don't know what it is. But, Don't get me wrong, TMBG would be nothing without BOTH Johns, but my personal favourite is and always will be John (Linnel) ~Sarah *When the heat bothers you, turn it down* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 21:35:11 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Educated Songs Message-id: <3759FA7F.1936@wmich.edu> The other day I was thinking about the educational value of some of TMBG's songs, and how they could contribute to learining in the classroom. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a tape of such songs for the use of all teachers? I've started a track list of relevent songs... any contributions, they don't have to be by TMBG, since I think I've covered most of that.... Why Does The Sun Shine? James K. Polk Mammal Meet Jame Ensor Istanbul I Palindrome I Dinner Bell (you know... Pavlov's Dog and all....) Entropy (by Moxy Fruvous) ~Sarah *the statue got me high* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:06:46 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jcu0j$10hu$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demos at emusic.com (sorta) Some nice person called scratch was able to figure out the URLs for the demo mp3s of the upcoming Long Tall Weekend album, even though they are not linked to by the site. He posted the URLs to the NG, so I am posting it here for the listies not on alt.music.tmbg. Note: these are just the first 28 seconds of each song. Also, if you reverse On Earth my Nina you'll hear Thunderbird! -Jay scratch wrote: > All the URLs: > > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9085/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-1-Drinking-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9088/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-2-She_Thinks_She's_Edith_Head-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9091/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-3-Maybe_I_Know-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9094/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-4-Rat_Patrol-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9097/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-5-Token_Back_To_Brooklyn-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9000/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-6-Older-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9003/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-7-Operators_Are_Standing_By-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9106/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-8-Dark_And_Metric-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9109/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-9-Reprehensible-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9112/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-10-Certain_People_I_Could_Name-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9115/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-11-Counterfeit_Faker-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9118/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-12-They_Got_Lost-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9121/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-13-Lullaby_To_Nightmares-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9124/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-14-On_Earth_My_Nina-Demo.mp3 > http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9127/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_T all_Weekend-15-The_Edison_Museum-Demo.mp3 > > -scratch ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 01:23:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demos at emusic.com (sorta) In a message dated 6/5/99 12:57:27 aM, Jay@tmbg.org writes: > Note: these are just the first 28 seconds of each song. Also, if you >reverse On Earth my Nina you'll hear Thunderbird! i've recorded the reverse into an mp2 if anyone wants to desperately hear it. i know it took me long enough to figure out how to do it. (i threw it onto Mpecker decoder, turned it into an .AIFF, and opened it up in movieplayer; reversed it, opened up mpecker encoder, hit record. ta dah. not that anyone cares, but... whoo.) if ya wanna hear, lemme know. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-6 *****************************