Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 7 Monday, 7 June 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: flans or linnell??? TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? TMBG: list dreams TMBG: Logo TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demo Problem TMBG: Re: list dreams TMBG: Re: Logo TMBG: Re: list dreams TMBG: Long Tall Demo ...problems? TMBG: Re: Long Tall Demo ...problems? Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) TMBG: operators (not dot) Re: TMBG: operators (not dot) TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? TMBG: song that hooked you? me? TMBG: On Earth My Nina backwards mp3 Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? me? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? TMBG: concert pages updated, and a blah blah blah Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? TMBG: Re: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? TMBG: Re: song that hooked you? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 02:35:58 -0500 (CDT) From: Ransom Subject: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Message-ID: long time reader, first time poster... I'd definitly have to go with Linnell... come on guys, he plays the bari sax, how cool is that?? way cool in my book (maybe cause I play bari)... plus that "jacka$$" quality, I take that to be sort of the withdrawn thoughtfulness that's so absent in today's society... plus, I don't like mono puff nearly as much as tmbg, it just seems so fla without linnell... Ransom... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 02:07:20 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Message-ID: <19990606.020722.-915343.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett First off I just wanna say a friend drew an awesome TMBG related page in my yearbook tonight. Anyway, on to the subject!.... I'm gonna say my favorite might be Linnell. Mostly because of all of the things we have in common. I also really like Flansy and wouldn't be the same without him either...but I like Linnell. I don't believe I've listed the similarities I've found yet, so I'll do that now. According to the list, Linnell is approximately 5'10" and 120 lbs. My exact height and weight for the past really long time. We both play the accordion (yes I started playing before I knew about TMBG). I don't know whether it was Linnell or Flansy who sang it but I've had exactly 1 year of chorus (if the line was true then that's a similarity and yea I know that's stretching it a lot). We both sing in semi-nasal Bari voices. We've both got brown hair that we part on the side even though his is on the opposite side than mine is. He's got a scar or something on his cheek in the exact position that I have one on my cheek but on the opposite side once again. Look at our last names: Linnell Liggett Notice the similarity? Even my mom thought he looked like me in the Birdhouse video and when I brought Direct From Brooklyn to school practically everyone was asking if Linnell was my brother! Most were saying I looked like him. Also, I have a printed out picture of Them on my folder and almost all the people who have looked at it have pointed at Linnell and asked if it was me. Even my sister asked that. The only thing is, I can't really see our facial resemblance as much as some other people do, it's weird. Go ahead tease me about this, ask me what size water ski's I wear, but I find it really cool so please don't ruin my fantasy with technical stuff =) By the way, there is a slight age difference, me being 16 and all, altough most people I know think Linnell is much younger than he is when they see him. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:48:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Message-ID: <19990606.104900.4630.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Ransom dot dot dot (...) wrote: >come on guys, he plays the bari sax, how cool is that?? way cool in my book (maybe cause I play bari)... YEAH! Wicked Awesome, yo! Perhaps I'm a bit too excited now... It's just so rare I find other people who play bari. Especially TMBG fans who play bari. If there's any others out there, come forward! Where are you people hiding? >plus that "jacka$$" quality, I take that to be sort of the withdrawn >thoughtfulness that's so absent in today's society... Perhaps he's just somewhat anti-social. It's not such an odd thing. I'm sure he doesn't mean to be a jackass (look, I actually put it! ) to anyone. Garrett M. Linnell: >According to the list, Linnell is approximately 5'10" and 120 lbs. My exact height and weight for the past >really long time. Dang. I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but you've gotta be pretty skinny then. Cause that's only, like, ten pounds more than me, and I'm a scrawny 5'1" girl. Again, I don't mean that in a bad way. Just my observation. Hm. ever-sincere, eriKa, saw Phantom Menace yesterday. Mesa no amused by Jar Jar, that's for damn sure. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Oreo3229@aol.com Message-ID: <749575d5.248be8b3@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 11:07:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Definitely Linnell. Linnell is cool. The Flansmeister is great, but without Linnell, I would never hear that semi-rough and nasal and baritone voice again! Hehehe...Garrett, do you have the same haircut? (I'm sincerely asking this question. Really, I am). ==StephanE the Gr8== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990606160319.35999.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 09:03:19 PDT Garrett M Liggett wrote: >I don't know >whether it was Linnell or Flansy who sang it but I've had exactly 1 >year >of chorus (if the line was true then that's a similarity and yea I >know >that's stretching it a lot). Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Flans sings this line (in "How Can I Sing Like A Girl?"). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I want to raise my freak flag" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:04:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Jun-99 TMBG: Linnell and me, broth.. by Garrett M Liggett@juno.c > According to the list, Linnell is approximately 5'10" and 120 lbs. My > exact height and weight for the past really long time. We both play the that seems like an awfully low estimate. I'm 5'10" and about as skinny as Linnell, but I weigh close to 150. Linnell may even weigh more - he has to be pretty strong to lift that baritone sax and play it the way he does. (not to mention lifting his keyboard off its stand with one hand and holding it like a guitar while he plays) 5'10" and 120 lbs is considerably underweight and probably pretty unhealthy... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <411b0ba7.248c05c8@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:11:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? In a message dated 6/6/99 4:03:29 AM, garrett27@juno.com writes: >By the way, there is a slight age difference, me being 16 and all, >altough most people I know think Linnell is much younger than he is when >they see him. got a picture of yerself scanned? sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:13:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: list dreams well... i had a dream that a new movie was opening. it was full of stars and whatnot. it was of austin powers status. tmbg had something to do with the soundtrack. the trailer for the movie featured flansburgh's disembodied head. the movie was called 42. thank you. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906061719.NAA56692@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 13:20:48 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Logo Does anyone know where I can find some good jpegs of various TMBG logos? I'm making a liscence plate at work but I need to take an image in. Preferably, I'd like the sunburst logo from one of the hats or the salvation army logo, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks! --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990606173747.34619.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Demo Problem Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:37:47 PDT This doesn't seem to have gone through before, so I'm sending it again. If you've already received it, I'm sorry. I tried to download the _Long Tall Weekend_ demos, and ended up getting five copies of "She Thinks She's Edith Head," and two of "Drinking." Has anyone else had this problem, or does the emusic site just not like me? (There's probably someone in charge of downloads, saying something like "Let's give this guy ANOTHER copy of 'Edith Head'! Ha-ha-ha!" Then again, maybe not.) (Yes, I'm posting this to both the mailing list and the newsgroup, so, if you subscribe to both, you get to read it twice! Lucky you!) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "You a winner! Hahaha!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:41:36 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <375AB2D0.BB2FF7F9@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: list dreams LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > well... i had a dream that a new movie was opening. it was full of stars and > whatnot. They cut that whole "and whatnot" out of the final script for 2001 :P AKA Bob "I'm sorry, Dave. I cannae allow ye to do that, and whatnot" SCott ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:41:15 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375AB2BB.A1258093@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Logo Jason Fickley wrote: > > Does anyone know where I can find some good jpegs of various TMBG logos? > I'm making a liscence plate at work but I need to take an image in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A-HA! Convicts on the list!! Convicts on the list!! Mike "IH8BART" Leffel - - - You have selected/Regicide/. If you know the name of the /King or Queen/ being murdered, press ONE now. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:45:14 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375AB3AA.C4B1BB36@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: list dreams Bob Scott wrote: > > LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > > well... i had a dream that a new movie was opening. it was full of stars and > > whatnot. > > They cut that whole "and whatnot" out of the final script for 2001 :P > > AKA Bob "I'm sorry, Dave. I cannae allow ye to do that, and whatnot" SCott From: "The Trouble With HAL-bbles", season three, Classic Trek. Mike "Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Dan Hickey" Leffel ----"HIIIIIICCCCCKKKEEEEYYY!!" --James T. Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:32:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Demo ...problems? this is kinda in reply to that ... last post.. i don't even remember who it's from. but... i didn't have *those* problems.. but there are a couple things. *operators are standing by: something leads me to believe emusic ..fucked up; because this is not They. ...not only is it not the operators i remember, but that's NOT TMBG! *older: not sure... i supose it could be older with just a long intro? *lullaby to nightmares: YES! back to the john henry sound we go! *drinking: woo! an instumental? (maybe) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 16:32:28 -0400 From: Mark D Beissel Message-ID: <375ADADC.20EB@ameritech.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Long Tall Demo ...problems? LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > this is kinda in reply to that ... last post.. i don't even remember who it's > from. but... i didn't have *those* problems.. but there are a couple things. > > *operators are standing by: > > something leads me to believe emusic ..fucked up; because this is not They. > ...not only is it not the operators i remember, but that's NOT TMBG! . At first I thought, wow, They've really reworked the music... then the guy started singing. :-) > > *drinking: > > woo! an instumental? (maybe) That's what it says at theymightbegiants.com. I like this one.. it's very catchy. The whole thing sounds pretty good, anyway. So what the hell is emusic waiting for? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375ABD47.3FD8C108@osu.edu> Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 18:26:18 +0000 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > Dang. I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but you've gotta be > pretty skinny then. Cause that's only, like, ten pounds more than me, and > I'm a scrawny 5'1" girl. Again, I don't mean that in a bad way. Just my > observation. Hm. > Yeah. I think that weight has to be wrong. I'm 5'10", a girl, and even though I'm pretty skinny, I weigh 140. Linnell has to weigh more than 120. > saw Phantom Menace yesterday. Mesa no amused by Jar Jar, that's for damn > sure. That crazy fish person! Up to his silly antics again! I wanted to kill him and end his little "meesahs" forever. Don't see Phantom Menace. See Instinct. Now that's a good movie! Diana ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:09:08 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <375B0DA4.C2908CB8@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:MST3K:Who's the better John?(Was:Newbie and a question) LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 6/5/99 3:15:48 PM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > > >Well, I personally love Joel much, much more. While there are > > >It's been my experience (from talking to others and such) that whoever > >hosted when you started watching is probably the one you like best. I > >started watching around the 4th season (when I got Comedy Central), so > >Joel's my fav. > > bah. i started watching mst in the joel years, and i ended up liking mr. > nelson better. Well, when it comes right down to it, Mike Nelson has been there for a long time, just not as Mike Nelson... I recall his hilarious antics as Torgo and as John Banner. Those were classics. But when it comes right down to it, perhaps my true opinion would be: Joel in theatre. Mike out of theatre. Mike has always had the better characters, but then there was that whole invention exchange thing they just phased out since they moved to Sci Fi... I really can't decide, I guess I'll call it a tie... AKA Bob "Mayhaps" SCott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 20:54:40 EDT Subject: TMBG: operators (not dot) apparently the url for the 'operators are standing by' demo had a number wrong, and that's why it didn't sound like tmbg. for those of you who don't read the newsgroup, it should be: http://www.emusic.com/c1589b85aec99011/demo/9103/They_Might_Be_Giants-Long_Tal l_Weekend-7-Operators_Are_Standing_By-Demo.mp3 if it's not... don't blame me, eh? i'm only just downloading it now. sarah http://members.aol.com/limezinger ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990607012959.69290.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: operators (not dot) Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 18:29:59 PDT sarah wrote: >apparently the url for the 'operators are standing by' demo had a >number >wrong, and that's why it didn't sound like tmbg. I think that using the wrong numbers might have been the source of my problems, too. I'll see about it later. (I don't have time at the moment.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "That's enough talking, ladies" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:34:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: song that hooked you? we haven't done this in a long time, and there are lots of new people here... sooo.. i pose a question. what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? for me, it'd be particle man. and i look back on that, and say: "WHY?" ..because to this day, it's one of my least favourite tmbg songs.. and most tiresome. hmm. sarah ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: <6a95c784.248c8d2c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:49:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Well, let's see...I always did love Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and Particle Man, because I was such a fan of Tiny Toons so many years ago. But the song that really made me love them would have to be Ana Ng. Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990607030221.41839.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "The Band Four O'Clock" Subject: TMBG: song that hooked you? me? Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 23:02:21 EDT what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? Well I didn't really get into flood. The radio station I like WCBE columbus ohio, played Back To Skull straight one day when it first came out. They Played Hotel Detective a lot and I loved the song. They also liked to play The remix of Istambul.-Ian Well it's delightful to hear from us. We take pleasure in hearing from ourselves. See you around- T-Cup, T-Pot, That Guy, and The Ian's (Scott and Powell). The MEN of Four O'clock TMBG ROCKS!!!! _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:19:22 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7jfc37$25l2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: On Earth My Nina backwards mp3 I reversed "On Earth My Nina" and you can get the mp3 of it here: http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdgilles/On_Earth_My_Nina-Demo-Reversed.mp3 ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:05:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? me? Well, I can jump on the rusty bandwagon and say the first songs I heard were Particle Man and Istanbul on Tiny Toons. BUT, the song that HOOKED me, was Spiralling Shape, from the Kids in the Hall: Braincandy soundtrack. I heard it, and it became my favorite song on the soundtrack, and remembered Particle Man. Then I looked for, and found, an old copy of Flood my sister had in her room. Listened to it...loved it...Then I read the FAQ (Like EVERY new fan should...DAMN I was a GOOD new fan) and downloaded a bunch of song sounds. The MIDI for Ana Ng sort of convinced me to buy more of their albums. I also had a bunch of A18 clips that interested me. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199906070323.XAA10412@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:22:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? Probably Birdhouse In Your Soul or Turn Around. > > > > for me, it'd be particle man. and i look back on that, and say: "WHY?" > ..because to this day, it's one of my least favourite tmbg songs.. and most > tiresome. hmm. Has it always been one of your least favorite songs? Surely, it must have been one of your favorite songs when you first heard it if it hooked you so. Was it only through multitudinous listens that it became one of your least favorite songs? Or is this song just bad and you didn't notice how bad it was until you became more of a hardcore TMBG fan? -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:28:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 6-Jun-99 TMBG: song that hooked you? by LimeZinger@aol.com > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? you're just trying to beat out that "Careless Santa" thread, aren't you? :) so, um, I think I was hooked by Dead, Whistling in the Dark, or Hall of Heads.... maybe Birdhouse. it's been so long, I can't remember... someone loaned me a tape with Flood on one side and Apollo 18 (their most recent album at the time) on the other. And I knew about Whistling in the Dark, "that bag of groceries song," and I'd been told about a weird song about heads.... so I listened for them and liked them. I also thought Birdhouse was cool, but I always skipped past Theme from Flood to get to it (and rewound the tape when it got to Hot Cha) And it wasn't until I had Apollo 18 on CD that I even heard Turn Around or Fingertips (I never got past Which Describes How You're Feeling because I didn't care much for the two songs after it, that I'd heard once. what was I thinking? Constellation is great! :) I can't believe that was 5 years ago, either. wow. :) ok, I'm done now... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <1cc75da2.248c9878@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:37:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? In a message dated 6/6/99 11:23:50 PM, elrond@charm.net writes: >Has it always been one of your least favorite songs? Surely, it must >have been one of your favorite songs when you first heard it if it >hooked you so. Was it only through multitudinous listens that it >became one of your least favorite songs? Or is this song just bad >and you didn't notice how bad it was until you became more of a >hardcore TMBG fan? all of the above? :) sarah ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <8cc7c424.248c9a5d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:45:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: concert pages updated, and a blah blah blah i'm certainly on a posting roll. and i'm really, really sorry about that. have you ever drank nothing but coffee and coffee type drinks all day long? maybe that's the reason.. anyway, i .. i finally finished (well, as much as i will, anyway) my concert pages; that is, relinking all the pictures to their new locations, and rescanning pictures, and scanning new pictures... although i haven't gotten to my last tmbg show page (4/30), so don't bother. but for pictures of tmbg, moxy fruvous, bnl, sloan, and oh, me too: http://members.aol.com/limezinger/concerts/index.html kill some time, why don't ya. i don't know.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375B4356.B51EBB20@airmail.net> Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:58:14 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Ransom dot dot dot (...) wrote: > >come on guys, he plays the bari sax, how cool is that?? way cool in my > book (maybe cause I play bari)... > > YEAH! Wicked Awesome, yo! Perhaps I'm a bit too excited now... It's just > so rare I find other people who play bari. Especially TMBG fans who play > bari. If there's any others out there, come forward! Where are you people > hiding? Um, right here. :) I played a little bari in high school and college. In fact, I had about a week to learn the basics originally, as I was a last minute addition to the jazz band for an upcoming competition! > >plus that "jacka$$" quality, I take that to be sort of the withdrawn > >thoughtfulness that's so absent in today's society... I don't think he really means to be a jackass. Hasn't he said that after shows he often doesn't interact with fans much because he's tired? As a fellow performer, I can understand that, although it is a bit disappointing not to get to see him. But oh, well. > >According to the list, Linnell is approximately 5'10" and 120 lbs. My > exact height and weight for the past >really long time. > > Dang. I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but you've gotta be > pretty skinny then. Cause that's only, like, ten pounds more than me, and > I'm a scrawny 5'1" girl. Again, I don't mean that in a bad way. Just my > observation. Hm. It's possible. I have a friend with that build; he's known to some friends as Sticko. ;) Then again, I'm still not completely convinced Linnell is 5'10". ;) > ever-sincere, > eriKa, > saw Phantom Menace yesterday. Mesa no amused by Jar Jar, that's for damn > sure. Danielle, who is apparently the only person on the planet who still hasn't seen Phantom Menace ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 23:56:00 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Message-ID: On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? The first TMBG song I ever heard was "Particle Man," and that's the song that led me to buy Flood. But I think the song that confirmed once and for all that I would be a TMBG fan was "Ana Ng." It's still my favorite. I think it was the song that made me see them as a "real" band, not some kind of joke. Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:53:17 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375B422D.BB57CFCD@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: flans or linnell??? Diana Kocar wrote: > > Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > > Dang. I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but you've gotta be > > pretty skinny then. Cause that's only, like, ten pounds more than me, and > > I'm a scrawny 5'1" girl. Again, I don't mean that in a bad way. Just my > > observation. Hm. > > > > Yeah. I think that weight has to be wrong. I'm 5'10", a girl, and even > though I'm pretty skinny, I weigh 140. Linnell has to weigh more than 120. > "Welcome to the list! My god, you're underweight! You'll die in a month!" > > saw Phantom Menace yesterday. Mesa no amused by Jar Jar, that's for damn > > sure. > > That crazy fish person! Up to his silly antics again! I wanted to kill him > and end his little "meesahs" forever. Don't see Phantom Menace. See > Instinct. Now that's a good movie! > Cuba. Gooding. Junior. Must. Die. Mike "All I mean is, if he HAPPENED to die, no tears from me!" Leffel --- I will scream SHOW ME THE MONEY at his funeral, and I'll mean it! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 23:07:10 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375B456E.AF0D9568@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: song that hooked you? LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > > we haven't done this in a long time, and there are lots of new people here... > sooo.. > ...everybody line up and face the north. You'll hear a popping sound starting from your left and increasing in proximity. Through peripheral vision, you may witness what appears to be persons collapsing into the large pit in front of you. Pay no attention to that. It is merely a trick of the mind, what with the recent weather we've been having, the current state of poltics, the undue apprehension relating to **POP!** > i pose a question. > > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? > Mike Leffel, having only Doctor Demento as a source of "Non_What-TheMedia-Thus-What-America-Thinks-Is-Cool" music became 'hooked' on TMBG by listening to "Particle Man" and "Istanbul", a dual effort. Mike Leffel didn't even consider the fact that TMBG did other songs until far later into his butter sculpture career. > for me, it'd be particle man. and i look back on that, and say: "WHY?" > ..because to this day, it's one of my least favourite tmbg songs.. and most > tiresome. hmm. > Particle Man? _Particle Man_? But.. he's just doing the things a Particle can! What's he like? That is uninportant. Particle man. Mike "Tired of evil ugly ladies at music stores mocking me for having Paul Shaffers CDs" Leffel ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <3b14009e.248ca0a0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 00:12:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? In a message dated 6/6/99 7:44:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? I remember it like it was Yesterday....Jan 6th 1993. Univ. Marching Band -- Banquet. End of the Season Video. One of the songs was Whistling in the Dark. Which featured shots from evening rehearsals in the stadium, rallies, and parties. I laughed so hard that later that night I tracked down the person who had put the songs in order and asked to see the CD for that "song about whistling in the dark" Went out the next morning and bought the first 4 albums. 2 years later I saw them in concert, for the fist time, and they played James K. Polk. That was before Factory Showroom came out, and they were still singing the middle part...Le laa Le laa..... I was right under Linnell. And for whatever reason the "Le Laa" part made me laugh incredibly hard. I was still roaring with laughter after they finished and Linnell looked down at me, grinned, and asked into the microphone...."Wow, did you enjoy the song THAT much" I nodded and he just cracked up. More than you really needed to know... -Kreadoubt "That's ok. We'll just play it twice as fast. They won't know the difference" JL ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 01:07:45 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <375B61AF.EC3E811E@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: song that hooked you? LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? Well, because of this whole Jar-Jar Binks thing, I'm gonna go with Istanbul, simply because it is among the only TMBG I heard up until I bought Flood. But I suppose I can't say that actually 'hooked' me... When I was finally introduced to the albums other than Flood, the one song that really caught my attention and held it, and led to me wanting more and more TMBG would have to be... well, there are 2, both on FS. 'The Bells are Ringing" and "The Spiralling Shape"... And now they've become just like everything else, and nothing else is quite as good after that.... :P AKA Bob "Because I forgot what I was gonna say!" SCott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-7 *****************************