Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #18-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 18, Number 9 Wednesday, 9 June 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: New site... Re: Non TMBG: BIG REUNION!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: New site... Re: TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? TMBG: (no subject) TMBG: Re: (no subject) Re: TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: New site... Re: TMBG: New site... Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: New site... Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? and ever occuring love of TMBG Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? and ever occuring love of TMBG TMBG: NEw news Re: TMBG: NEw news Re: TMBG: NEw news NON TMBG: Dragon Con TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: concert pages updated, and a blah blah blah RE: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: Non TMBG: BIG REUNION!!!!!!! Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? TMBG: RE: Don't Let's Start Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: mp3's; For Adam Varn to help fans.... TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento Re: TMBG: New site... Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? TMBG: TMBG's Everything entry Re: TMBG: mp3's; For Adam Varn to help fans.... TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento TMBG: everything? NON-TMBG: not about mp3's either... TMBG: song that hooked me Re: TMBG: song that hooked me Re: TMBG: song that hooked me Re: NON-TMBG: not about mp3's either... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9c5a1de0.248da0d6@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:25:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... In a message dated 6/7/99 5:22:44 PM, bobscott@tmbg.org writes: >I didn't 'want' the other songs on 'Flood' when I bought it for Particle >Man and >Istanbul. Now I can't say there's any song on 'Flood' I consider skippable. >(I >actually can't speak at all!) i'm just backwards. i usually hate songs released as singles, but end up buying an album for the rest of the songs that aren't that song. then i end up linking the hit single (example... blur's "song 2") ....hmm. i don't make sense. never have. sarah :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:48:04 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: BIG REUNION!!!!!!! Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Claire V Gray wrote: > I don't know if anyone remembers me, well to those who do Hello out > there!!!! Yay! Welcome back, Mysterio Gal!! :) Kirsten I knew you in another life You were the tears I used to cry Now you're the storm inside the waves When you touch me I float away. - David Garza ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:05:04 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375C5020.2919D06D@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's SpiderEyes wrote: > > >>What's "Summer Breeze?" Never done heard o' that one... > > > >i think it's aka "car without a handle"... i haven't listened to it in a long > >time.. but... even if that doesn't help; to answer your question better, it > >was a dial a song song. > > Yeah, that's the one. It's classic dial-a-song style, > > "In a summer house > Out on Cape Cod > A number of years ago, > My cousin Charles > Heard over the radio > On WEEI > The story of > An automobile > That had driven from its garage > And killed a number > Of couples kissing > Down by the oceanside. > Charles thought about > The ocean's waves > Down the road just a mile, > And as he turned off > The radio > He saw with his own eyes > The very same > Door handle they spoke of, > Hooked to that radio dial, > And the summer breeze > Blew in the window > That hadn't been open before. > So if you hear > A radio > You had best beware, > Be sure there's not > A car around, > Cuz the [something] still remains. > There's a car without a handle > And that car is still at large, > There's a car without a handle > And that car is still at large." > > - Jen / SpiderEyes Thank god you posted those lyrics! Now I don't have to buy the cd! Mike "Instigator of the Stars" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:03:50 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375C4FD6.ADF1222D@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... > > Having someone buy an entire album for one song turns the album into a $13 > > single. I think this happens with most mainstream music (Britney Spears, > > NSYNC,etc.) People buy the album gor the radio hit, and most of them end of > > not listening to the rest of the album. And they force the rest of us to hear those few songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, either through the radio, the television, the movies, or their blaring stereos. WHY would people *BUY* a single, when it's freaking EVERYWHERE you turn??? > > THis is the point of commercial musc: > > to sell a product, not expose listeners to the music. > > I thought it was to rip off the artists..... ^_^ > > I don't know how the Johns feel about this, but I personally would not want > > to sell people something they don't want. I'm sorry, I;m not a big fan of > > capitalism. > I'll meet you in the gutter. I'm a fan of capitalism, and I constantly shove crap in people's mouths, but for some reason that whole 'money' thing just isn't working with me..... As for the Johns, if they were soley interested in making the most people happy, for the most money, their music would *NOT* be the wonder that it is. I thank them for the courage to make good music, and not to pander to the mainstream. > I didn't 'want' the other songs on 'Flood' when I bought it for Particle Man and > Istanbul. Now I can't say there's any song on 'Flood' I consider skippable. (I > actually can't speak at all!) > 'Flood' reminds me of a flood. Once it fills the basement of your mind and all of your memories and furniture and belongings, are covered in raw sewage, you just can't ever clean it up good enough. Eventually you have to move. I cut my own hair last week. It reminded me of Flood too. > > On the other hand, I am against someone downloading an entire album in mp3 > > format, listening to it regularly, and still not buying the album. > > I say "Right on!" > (Orson Bean, Nudist Week) > AKA Bob "Not communist" SCott I'm watching you, nonetheless. Ever vigilant. Ever vigilant. Mike "M+O+O+N Communist!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:19:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Mike Leffel wrote: > > Thank god you posted those lyrics! Now I don't have to buy the cd! > > Mike "Instigator of the Stars" Leffel > Maybe we need to ban musical instruments. If people can play the songs they like, they won't buy the album. While we're at it, let's ban humming! --Jamal "matches + gasoline + Uncle Bucky's shack = summer fun" Rogers ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 18:17:51 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell and me, brothers? Message-ID: <19990607.162458.-875279.1.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Yes yes I do know that I'm underweight and apparently nothing seems to help me to a normal weight, believe me, I've tried. But I am stronger than people expect, despite my appearance. Who knows...maybe I'm off now, but when I reach a constant height/weight it'll end up being like Linnell's. And yes I do have the same haircut, just mirrored so it's parted on the opposite side. > Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Flans sings this line (in "How Can I Sing > Like A Girl?"). Ahh well, one less thing on my list. > got a picture of yerself scanned? Not a recent one...I hate how things like scanners cost money. Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:29:05 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375C55C1.EBF8362@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: (no subject) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:35:12 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375C5730.B89F8405@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: (no subject) Mike Leffel wrote: > > Sorry Sorry Sorry.... for some reason, writing to Jamal will KILL YOUR BRAIN AND YOU'LL FORGET HOW TO USE EMAIL!!!! Stay away from that man. He is the incarnation of ... something. Mike "I don't *mean* anything!" Leffel --two words: Rowan Atkinson as DR. WHO is the best thing ever. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 19:05:13 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <375C5E34.6C02C4A1@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's Jamal Rogers wrote: > Maybe we need to ban musical instruments. If people can play the songs > they like, they won't buy the album. While we're at it, let's ban humming! No, that won't do... People will mouth the words, or perhaps even worse, mime... And a world full of mimes is a terrible place. AKA Bob "Stopping the Mime Menace from happening" SCott ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <31ee9f64.248dbae8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:16:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's In a message dated 6/7/99 6:19:03 PM, rogers@math.grin.edu writes: >Maybe we need to ban musical instruments. If people can play the songs > >they like, they won't buy the album. While we're at it, let's ban humming! and rubber band playing! that means you too, tdk! sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990607211930.00725d2c@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 21:19:30 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... >>You offer a valid argument, but there are many points on this issue that can >>not easily be resolved. Until then, I will continue to offer up free music, >>not to rip off anyone or piss anyone off (surprisingly, you are the only >>person who has voiced a distaste for it) but given that the only promotion I >>have I have given my site is through this mailing list, I think that of the >>100 visits it has had in a week and a half, most have come from fans. >Make that two. I'll make it three, for many reasons, one of which follows- >As for ripping the Johns off, I never thought TMBG was about the money. Maybe >I am mistaken, but don't they just do it for fun? Both Johns are married, and Linnell has a son. No matter how much fun they're having, fun doesn't feed your family, right? They are professional musicians. Having said that, I applaud the plan to make Adam Varn's site more like Jackal's old page, with Dial-A-Songs and B-sides and whatnot. That was cool. Dylan "Do I still need to mention Mike Leffel in every post, now that he's back?" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dflipse@csrlink.net http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:58:08 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375C78B0.C0505B48@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... > Dylan "Do I still need to mention Mike Leffel in every post, now that he's > back?" Flipse > No. Mention Tiny Tim instead. ^_^ Mike "GOD BLESS HIM!" Leffel --I wear the same kind of adult diapers as Tiny Tim! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:48:23 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Message-ID: <19990607.234823.21854.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Jay, now a cat person, but not those scary incestual cat people from that bad Stephen King movie: >jay, whose t-shirt has shrunk in the wash. how sexy. wooo baby! now go spray yourself with a hose and dance to that Ricky Martin song in the street of Florida suburbia. Jeffro, not a cat person at all - at least as far as I know: >Well, last weekend he played in Charlotte, NC at the Benefit for Kosovo >Concert so i'm assuming he's probably on the refugees side... :) That was last weekend? I'm so slow on the uptake. Were you there, by chance? Claire V. Gray, secretly a cat person - that's why she's been gone: >I don't know if anyone remembers me, well to those who do Hello out >there!!!! Hey, I remember you. You did that hula thing. No... wait, that was me. No... wait, that was Mike Leffel. ever-sincere, eriKa, for every sprinkle I find, YOU DIE! "Robert called me a pussy once." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Pick722@aol.com Message-ID: <9dcdbad6.248de892@aol.com> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 23:31:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? i really like "She's an Angel" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:11:44 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... Message-ID: <19990608.001932.-200327.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray > WHY would people *BUY* a single, when it's freaking EVERYWHERE you >turn??? Why, well i do it to get those fun little b-sides they come with. But only the singles of artists that I am dangerously obssessed with. *droool* Wow, things are different, Leffel is posting a few times in an evening instead of the once that I became so familiar with Mysterio Gal (tmbg.org???? what happened to tmbg.com, have I really been away that long??????????*waves*, hey Jim and Kirsten!) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:19:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? and ever occuring love of TMBG Message-ID: <19990608.001932.-200327.1.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Song that hooked me, I haveta take part in this :D The first album I had heard was a bootleg of Flood, and the song that hooked me was Birdhouse, I was downright obssessed with it. I even gave it a special cheesy (hey I was 12) dance move. After that, The Pink album and Apollo 18, with a mad magazine. Which were also bootlegs that I managed to steal from my big sister. In other matters. You know how a being can (uh) loose interest in something they overdue. Well just when I thought I had overplayed every TMBG album to a point of no return. A good friend and fellow TMBG lover, as a return favor, sent me a bootleg of state songs and house of mayors (this is important because I'm poor) And well, it's been making my web toes tingle and I've rehashed on everything giant *yay* He also included a very bizzare song called Free Guitar Lessons For Animals (non TMBG but worth writing about) has anyone else heard about it? Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:09:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? I may be the only one hooked by "Sleeping in the Flowers." :) John Henry was my first TMBG cd (I'll spare y'all the long, often told tale of how I discovered 'em), and I liked "Subliminal" quite a bit. "Snail Shell" was ok, but didn't knock me over or anything. When "Sleeping in the Flowers" started, at first I thought, "Oh, more whiny guitar," but when the sweet, bouncy chorus kicked in, I couldn't help but smile. It just kinda took me by surprise, I guess :) By the time "No One Knows My Plan" came on, my fate was sealed. Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:49:50 -0700 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? and ever occuring love of TMBG Message-id: <375CCB1E.86B@wmich.edu> > The first album I had heard was a bootleg of Flood, and the song that > hooked me was Birdhouse, I was downright obssessed with it. Birdhouse... what a great song... That's been a super-dooper-number one song in my book ever sense I first heard it..... *sigh* > In other matters. You know how a being can (uh) loose interest in > something they overdue. Well just when I thought I had overplayed every > TMBG album to a point of no return. I grew strangely bored of TMBG about a year ago when I discovered Moxy Fruvous. They became my obsession for a while (replacing TMBG). But recently I've been on a Giants kick. Listening to every album... over and over and over again..... They've reclaimed their throne..... but I'm not sick of Fruvous.... I'll be seeing them Live for the first time next week!! ~Sarah *Is there anybody out there* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:29:49 -0400 Subject: TMBG: NEw news Message-ID: <19990608.004335.-200327.2.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Wow, I really feel like a Newbie, asking this and all. Any updates on what's going on with Linnell releasing State songs on LP. How come I havent see direct from Brooklyn yet? And how many listies plan on going to the new Austin Powers flick for the sake of the one minute Dr. Evil, TMBG intro? Hey Dr. Evil, is my kind of guy, but I like Dr. Bad much better (I have to, she's my sister) :P When is that movie hitting theatres anyway, sorry, I have no sense of time and only watch television from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. on weekday mornings. Mysterio Gal (my fingers smell like soap and my chocolate tastes yucky) "Trink Ziegeblut in eine Kanne!" --Das Hooded Rat MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:52:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NEw news In a message dated 6/7/99 12:46:47 AM, gray42@juno.com writes: >How come I >havent see direct from Brooklyn yet? that's for you to answer, chicky! i bought my copy at a store.. and i saw another copy at a different store a few days ago... what are ya waiting for? it's out and ready! wooo! > And how many listies plan on going >to the new Austin Powers flick for the sake of the one minute Dr. Evil, >TMBG intro? not i. i'm boring. i'm sorry. the last movie i saw in a theatre was "analyze this." .. i don't go to a lot of movies.. ...i love mike myers and all, but i never even had any interest in the first austin powers movie. ...unless i catch it on hbo between "real sex 95" and mr. show repeats..or something.. which i haven't, yet.. > When is that movie hitting >theatres anyway, sorry, I have no sense of time and only watch television >from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. on weekday mornings. friday, i think... sarah np - cornelius' "star fruit surf rider" damon albarn remix ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 01:05:56 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: NEw news Message-ID: <19990608.010606.-200327.3.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:52:23 EDT LimeZinger@aol.com writes: > >In a message dated 6/7/99 12:46:47 AM, gray42@juno.com writes: > >that's for you to answer, chicky! i bought my copy at a store.. and >i saw >another copy at a different store a few days ago... what are ya >waiting for? >it's out and ready! wooo! wow! How long ago did this happened, I must not have checked recetly enough, hmmmm >not i. i'm boring. i'm sorry. the last movie i saw in a theatre was >"analyze >this." .. i don't go to a lot of movies.. > ...i love mike myers and all, but i never even had any interest in >the first >austin powers movie. ...unless i catch it on hbo between "real >sex 95" >and mr. show repeats..or something.. which i haven't, yet.. oh man, what about the midget sidekick, everyone loves the midget sidekick, (ok, I do watch some evening TV) > > Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 01:13:34 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG: Dragon Con Message-ID: <19990608.011344.-200327.4.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Anyone here going to Dragon Con this summer. I'll be with Ed Furniture's/Sir Millard Mulch group, performing a sort of stage show, along side a giant cheese cube, the machine for mass manipulation, and maybe as one of the universal precautions, big group. Mysterio Gal (what's with Conan being postponed *grrrr*) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375CF473.32F32C86@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:46:15 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Flood=Fave? "Pletikapich, John (OH35)" wrote: >I still consider "Flood" to be their magnum opus. (And I have never seen >one episode of "Tiny Toons".) Its rare to see someone on this list make that sort of proclamation about Flood. Its so impossible to pick a favorite but if I was forced at gunpoint to come up with one, Flood would probably be it. Is there anyone else here shares this very unpopular opinion? B O N G O (Just a few more days till we hear TMBG perform the opening music to the third highest grossing movie of 1999!) ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <5f4d0836.248e76b1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:37:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? In a message dated 99-06-08 06:44:15 EDT, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: << Its rare to see someone on this list make that sort of proclamation about Flood. Its so impossible to pick a favorite but if I was forced at gunpoint to come up with one, Flood would probably be it. Is there anyone else here shares this very unpopular opinion? >> Nah. Flood was, as everyones, my original fave. But now I'd probably have to go with either Apollo 18 or Factory Showroom (I just love Spiralling Shape!) Least fave? John Henry. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990608150838.98566.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:08:38 PDT sarah wrote: >what TMBG song hooked you onto their music, making you a fan? I'm not really sure. The first TMBG song that I heard and enjoyed was "Birdhouse In Your Soul," but I'm not sure that it hooked me. It took some time (and exposure to more TMBG songs) after that before I decided to purchase any of Their albums. >for me, it'd be particle man. and i look back on that, and say: >"WHY?" >...because to this day, it's one of my least favourite tmbg songs.. >and >most tiresome. hmm. How did "Particle Man" become (relatively) popular and well-known, anyway? Was it because of the Tiny Toons thing? Was it because people like simple songs? I'm fairly sure that it wasn't marketed as a hit, since it was never released as a single or anything. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Is he a dot, or is he frying up a stalk of wheat?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990608151310.68102.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:13:10 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I >also thought Birdhouse was cool, but I always skipped past Theme from >Flood to get to it (and rewound the tape when it got to Hot Cha) Why does "Hot Cha" seem to be disliked by so many people? Is it the somewhat grating voice used by Flans? It's not really among my favourite TMBG songs, but I do like it (particularly the lyrics). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Fondue forks for everybody" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:11:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Message-ID: <19990608.111646.20006.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Its rare to see someone on this list make that sort of proclamation about Flood. Its >so impossible to pick a favorite but if I was forced at gunpoint to come up with one, >Flood would probably be it. Is there anyone else here shares this very unpopular opinion? Flood is tied for my favorite with John Henry. Occasionally one will surge over the other, and then tame back down again, but they're at about equal stance. I think Flood is probably their best over all though, music-wise and such. It's one of those albums where I could go without listening to it for a year, and when I played it again, I'd still know all the words. Although I wouldn't want to go a year without listening to it... ever-sincere, eriKa, yeah, well, you're hogging all the... UGLY! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990608151458.56608.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: concert pages updated, and a blah blah blah Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:14:58 PDT >have you ever drank nothing but coffee and coffee type drinks all >day >long? No, I can honestly say I've never done that. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "A different kind of tinsel decorates my tree" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: RE: TMBG: song that hooked you? Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:16:35 -0400 When I saw the "World Premier Video" for Don't Lets Start on MTV in either the late '70's or early 80's that did it for me. I was hopelessly hooked and have been ever since. I have to admit though that I was living in Clearwater, FL at the time and am now in Connecticut where I get to see them far more than I ever dreamed I would. -Lee (oldest fan on the list) ------------------------------ From: phone_book@juno.com Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:13:09 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Message-ID: <19990608.111313.-837439.0.phone_book@juno.com> my faithful employer: > Jay, now a cat person, but not those scary incestual cat people from > that bad Stephen King movie: > >jay, whose t-shirt has shrunk in the wash. how sexy. > > wooo baby! now go spray yourself with a hose and dance to that Ricky > Martin song in the street of Florida suburbia. already done. fortunately, the police were blinded by the sight, and thus weren't able to catch me for detainment. > Jeffro, not a cat person at all - at least as far as I know: > >Well, last weekend he played in Charlotte, NC at the Benefit for > Kosovo Concert so i'm assuming he's probably on the refugees side... > > That was last weekend? I'm so slow on the uptake. Were you there, by > chance? possibly, but i'm quite aware that ~i~ was present in charlotte that weekend. for an hour. in an airport. ah, well. > Claire V. Gray, secretly a cat person - that's why she's been gone: > >I don't know if anyone remembers me, well to those who do Hello out > >there!!!! > > Hey, I remember you. You did that hula thing. > > No... wait, that was me. now THAT'S sexy. > No... wait, that was Mike Leffel. getting less sexy all the time. and yes, i do remember you, ms. claire. pleasant to have you back to listdom .. your documentarian posts about comedic science fiction writers were sorely missed. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990608151917.1010.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: Non TMBG: BIG REUNION!!!!!!! Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 08:19:17 PDT Claire V Gray wrote: >Whatever became of the OMLT's. I don't know, but, for a full discussion of the OMLT mystery, tune into the latest FOX special, "In Search of the OMLT's." There's going to be some footage of Bigfoot on there, too. >I don't know if anyone remembers me, well to those who do Hello out >there!!!! Yes, I remember you. Welcome back. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "When Animals Attack Magicians" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:27:11 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375D364F.EC48FC2F@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? > >for me, it'd be particle man. and i look back on that, and say: >"WHY?" > >...because to this day, it's one of my least favourite tmbg songs.. >and > >most tiresome. hmm. > > How did "Particle Man" become (relatively) popular and well-known, anyway? > Was it because of the Tiny Toons thing? Was it because people like simple > songs? I'd like to think of it as Dr. Demento's influence. How many listies were like me and heard it there BEFORE the term Tiny Toon came to their vocab? To the best of my memory, BEFORE Tiny Toons, he would play Istanbul, Particle Man (staples) and sometimes Birdhouse, YRF, ....hrm.. come to think of it, he would've had to play these some time CLOSE to the debut of TINY TOONS... and I know my timeframe because I remember the EXACT PRIME TIME DEBUT of the Tiny Toons... and I thought 'What a horrible show!". Didn't keep me from memorizing most of it though. DAMN YOU GENE SPLICER! (who, to me, looks a lot more like FLANS than Hamton in Costume) I thank heaven for Doctor Demento. If only he was in my town anymore. (cries). (But it's okay. I've got LEEZA GIBBONS IN HIS PLACE! IT'S MUCH BETTER!) :( > I'm fairly sure that it wasn't marketed as a hit, since it was never > released as a single or anything. But it is a hidden track on FLOOD... Mike "Kilting Contest!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:20:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Why does "Hot Cha" seem to be disliked by so many people? Is it the > somewhat grating voice used by Flans? It's not really among my favourite > TMBG songs, but I do like it (particularly the lyrics). I love it for the jazzy keyboard solo. Just another testament to Linnells mucisal talent. --Jamal "buh duh da DOOH da" Rogers ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199906081630.MAA15465@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: RE: Don't Let's Start Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:30:22 -0400 (EDT) > When I saw the "World Premier Video" for Don't Lets Start on MTV in either > the late '70's or early 80's that did it for me. I was hopelessly hooked and > have been ever since. I have to admit though that I was living in > Clearwater, FL at the time and am now in Connecticut where I get to see them > far more than I ever dreamed I would. Yes, that was back in the TMBG disco days when they had their afros. Gotta love that TMBG string and synth sound they had in the late 70s! Groovy! -Matt ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990608123653.0092c240@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:40:24 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? AFAIK, the Tiny Toons episode was, outside of Flood, the only way it was released, at the time. I too was sucked in by Particle Man and Istanbul and felt compelled to buy Flood. Once I heard Birdhouse, I knew this was the band for me. :-) I agree with those who dislike Particle Man and (to a lesser extent) Istanbul...I don't know if it's just because I've heard them so much that the appeal has worn thin or that my tastes have changed since '91 or whatever, but I always skip them. Rhythm Section Want Ad was the song the rejuvenated my interest in TMBG, if anyone cares, after I bought The Pink Album, my first post-Flood album. :-) -Adam At 08:08 AM 6/8/99, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >How did "Particle Man" become (relatively) popular and well-known, anyway? >Was it because of the Tiny Toons thing? Was it because people like simple >songs? I'm fairly sure that it wasn't marketed as a hit, since it was never >released as a single or anything. -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990608124055.00929d70@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:45:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Flood's a toughie. There are so many songs on it that I love and instantly associate with TMBG, and it also has my least favorite TMBG material as well. As far as a favorite, I'd say a tie between Pink and Lincoln. Nothing they've done since has seemed anywhere near as original and brilliant. -Adam At 11:11 AM 6/8/99, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > >Flood is tied for my favorite with John Henry. Occasionally one will >surge over the other, and then tame back down again, but they're at about >equal stance. I think Flood is probably their best over all though, >music-wise and such. It's one of those albums where I could go without >listening to it for a year, and when I played it again, I'd still know >all the words. Although I wouldn't want to go a year without listening to >it... -- Adam, fighting the forces of crappy web sites! http://www.he-man.org/ (Masters of the Universe) http://www.daddies.org/ (Cherry Poppin' Daddies) http://www.clemson.edu/~ctyner/ (Everything else!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:52:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Message-ID: <19990608.125219.4934.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan, who left the bathtub running over: >Why does "Hot Cha" seem to be disliked by so many people? Is it the >somewhat grating voice used by Flans? It's not really among my favourite >TMBG songs, but I do like it (particularly the lyrics). I enjoy Hot Cha, especially the lyrics - I used to yell out random lyrics at my bari sectionmate and confuse her, but then I made her a TMBG tape with Hot Cha on it, and now she can yell them back. Feh. Ah well, a small price to pay to recruit a new fan to the wonders of Them. Jay, who got wet and danced to Ricky Martin: >already done. fortunately, the police were blinded by the sight, and thus weren't able to catch me for >detainment. You could always threaten to break their treadmills... ever-sincere, eriKa, don't toy with me Ernie! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <5cf6d5c0.248ea654@aol.com> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:01:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? In a message dated 6/8/99 12:49:02 PM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: >Flood's a toughie. There are so many songs on it that I love and instantly >associate with TMBG, and it also has my least favorite TMBG material as >well. As far as a favorite, I'd say a tie between Pink and Lincoln. >Nothing they've done since has seemed anywhere near as original and brilliant. > duhh.. i'll be the only one (?) so far to put in a vote for apollo 18. just for feeling bad. actually, it'd be a tie really, between a18 and john henry. nothing's as good as those jh horns *really loud*. though there are classic tmbg songs i love on flood; there are classic tmbg songs i love on every tmbg album. as an overall album... i think i would have to say apollo 18. wait, does THEN count? :) sarah last cd purchase: blur - the great escape now playing: blur - the great escape ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:13:07 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: > duhh.. i'll be the only one (?) so far to put in a vote for apollo 18. i second that! > just for feeling bad. actually, it'd be a tie really, between a18 and > john henry. d'oh! i'll *first* that, then. --jim kuemmerle, who's apparently nominated himself quasi-official list parliamentarian or something... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:35:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? Guh... I had Flood for about 2 years before I REALLY got into TMBG (this would be about 1994, BTW) ... then I bought "John Henry," and pretty much liked it... BUT, it wasn't until about about a year ago that I REALLY got back into TMBG, getting all the albums I had missed... "Ana Ng," which I heard on a friend's copy of THEN, was the one that said "Holy crap! I need to get back into these dudes..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375D5868.63D3@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:52:43 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's; For Adam Varn to help fans.... I think this is great!!! I don't have a lot of those b-sides, rarities and such. I've been looking all over for them and if somebody (Adam V) offered a site chock full of them, that'd rock! SpiderEyes' list looks great to start. Please make a rarities page! Leave the old album stuff alone or something... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:48:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento In a message dated 6/8/99 11:28:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mal@dragondata.com writes: << I thank heaven for Doctor Demento. If only he was in my town anymore. (cries). >> Pass the Kleenex, Mr. Leffel...I will join you in a good sob over this one (The last time Dr. Demento played in my town was around eighteen years ago). Karen "Fishheads, Fishheads for Sale!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com New Alias: AngelAna@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375D5B86.1915@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:06:02 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: New site... While we're on the general topic, can someone give me a run-down of Jackyl's site. I've found some old dead links, but I'd like to know the story behind it. Thanks -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375D5C18.7AE5@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:08:29 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked you? The TMBG song that hooked me was actually Subliminal. It sounds odd, but it's the first one I heard on a h.s. band trip to Chicago. I was listnin to some of my bud's Zappa CD's and I happened upon John Henry. I put it in and marked it down as something to check out, er, buy. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <375D5CA2.555D@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:10:47 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood=Fave? My favorite would be Apollo 18. Damn that was quick. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:14:13 -0400 From: The Great Quux Message-ID: <375D2535.3233B0B9@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems Subject: TMBG: TMBG's Everything entry http://everything.blockstackers.com/everything.pl?sid=&lastnode=&node=They%20Might%20Be%20Giants unfortunately the creator of this node misspelled Linnell's name (as Linnel). But fear not! Another node exists which is spelt correctly. My user name there is, of course, GreatQuux. PS -- If you haven't seen Everything before please sit down before entering, thank you. ;) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:55:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's; For Adam Varn to help fans.... In a message dated 6/8/99 12:51:10 PM, kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: >I think this is great!!! I don't have a lot of those b-sides, rarities >and such. I've been looking all over for them and if somebody (Adam V) >offered a site chock full of them, that'd rock! SpiderEyes' list looks >great to start. Please make a rarities page! >Leave the old album stuff alone or something... i made an mp3 of she was a hotel detective (the back to skull disco one -- NOT the pink album one!) for the site.. it's got a couple clicky noises in it (my cd's are so overused, they ain't perfect) ..if anyone can make a better one, go right on ahead. it's sitting in my macamp playlist along with blur's "girls and boys".. they sound great together. why am i sharing? i don't know. umm.. OH! and anyone who has the i palidrome i and/or guitar ep's .. that's high priority stuff. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:02:08 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375D68B0.FBE4A502@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 6/8/99 11:28:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > mal@dragondata.com writes: > > << I thank heaven for Doctor Demento. If only he was in my town anymore. > (cries). > >> > Pass the Kleenex, Mr. Leffel... I stuff a whoooole bunch of it in my pants so the bus ride doesn't hurt! >I will join you in a good sob over this one > (The last time Dr. Demento played in my town was around eighteen years ago). > While I miss him terribly, I bet that 78% of what he plays NOW is what he was playing when you listened to him... hehehehehe.... Mike "Yet I always recorded him" Leffel ---I hate fish heads. There. I've said it. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:01:58 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375D68A6.1645274F@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Demento MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 6/8/99 11:28:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > mal@dragondata.com writes: > > << I thank heaven for Doctor Demento. If only he was in my town anymore. > (cries). > >> > Pass the Kleenex, Mr. Leffel... I stuff a whoooole bunch of it in my pants so the bus ride is doesn't hurt! >I will join you in a good sob over this one > (The last time Dr. Demento played in my town was around eighteen years ago). > While I miss him terribly, I bet that 78% of what he plays NOW is what he was playing when you listened to him... hehehehehe.... Mike "Yet I always recorded him" Leffel ---I hate fish heads. There. I've said it. ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:50:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: everything? what the hell? ... what IS this page? in tmbg -- under people among flans and "linnel", there's "slut"... in slut, under places, there's university of rochester. in u of r, under ideas, there's "certain people i could name." LIKE I SAY, what is this webpage? sar"slut's not *me*! i'm going to monroe community college, not u of r!"ah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:24:00 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: not about mp3's either... Message-ID: On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > No, that won't do... People will mouth the words, or perhaps even worse, > mime... And a world full of mimes is a terrible place. don't you mean "a mime is a terrible thing to face"? --jim kuemmerle, ducking... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990608223235.7909.rocketmail@web209.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:32:35 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: song that hooked me The first time i ever heard tmbg (besides tiny toons) was in 93 or 94 and i was 9 i think and my cousin was a big fan of tmbg (he was like 15 at the time) and i was like i want to here this Theyre must be midgets or whatever (because i didn't even know there name) since John Henry was there most recent release for some reason he decided to play me "Why Must I Be Sad" and i think i like it i don't know if i was liking it because he liked it or because i really did like it but i've loved it (and all there other songs) ever since. i don't much care for "why must i be sad" though it's just not a very cool song. _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:51:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked me Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, KRS Tyler wrote: > i don't much care for "why > must i be sad" though it's just not a very cool song. I have to disagree; "Why Must I Be Sad" is one of my favorite songs on John Henry. I think it fulfills some sort of subconcious angst quotient. ;) Kirsten "There was a time in my life when I would have found that screen saver that draws the pipes infinitely fascinating and would have been able to stare at it for hours, but that was last Saturday." -- Ron Thompson ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 19:04:25 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <375DAF89.AB7DADD0@dragondata.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: song that hooked me "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" wrote: > > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, KRS Tyler wrote: > > > i don't much care for "why > > must i be sad" though it's just not a very cool song. > > I have to disagree; "Why Must I Be Sad" is one of my favorite > songs on John Henry. I think it fulfills some sort of subconcious angst > quotient. ;) > When I first heard that song, it was during my first real 'crazy time' and the lyrics made perfect haromony with my psyche. Of course, I misunderstood it, and thought the lyrics were : No more mister nice guy I love the dead I've been thinking about it now I understand what he said. Ask me now I understand the words that Elvis said "The king that rocks beneath me!" I scream at the sun. everything else... except the album titles.. I understood. Once I found out the real lyrics about three weeks later, it pissed me off. Elvis is a far better reference. Of course, the album titles (song titles????) then made immediate sense, and I lost a little fun as I realized their basic unimportance. I still miss the possiblity of yet another deep reference that only john and john know. What could they have seen in the million dollar babies that I couldn't? Pfah. Alice Cooper. I just hope the madness that is COWTOWN doesn't end up being a reference to IRON MAIDEN. I still *love* the song though. It's just a little less.. THEY to me. (INTERESTING NOT FAKE TIDBIT):: The thought of the song made me put ol' John Henry in. Stupid Winamp likes to run my CD's, even though my cd player insists on playing a cd without need for a computer. The shuffle was on, and WMIBS played. Creepy. And also, I have a cousin named SANDY FRANK. Gamera dances gogo! - Oh, and I suggest you buy Long Tall Weekend. I finished downloading mine about an hour ago and it makes me happy. Mike "made of meat" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 19:20:01 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <375DB331.46653487@tmbg.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: not about mp3's either... Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Bob Scott wrote: > > > No, that won't do... People will mouth the words, or perhaps even worse, > > mime... And a world full of mimes is a terrible place. > > don't you mean "a mime is a terrible thing to face"? I thought about typing that, but then I recalled Leslie Nielson's video "Bad Golf Made Easy," and I just figured I'd let sleeping dogs lie (and do they ever! I asked one for directions, and they pointed south! Turned out I wanted to go east! Sheesh! You just can't trust sleeping dogs...) AKA Bob "Who would sooner suggest you own the entire Dorf library before seeing any videos mentioned in this email" Scott -Not that I'm suggesting anything about the quality of Peter MacNichol's acting... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #18-9 *****************************