Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 15 Thursday, 15 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #19-13 Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #19-13 NON-TMBG: bo'sun TMBG: Article about TMBG!!! Re: TMBG: Article about TMBG!!! Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Re: Non-TMBG: The Good Ship Erika Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology Re: Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology Re: Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list TMBG: Official Long Tall Weekend Cover Art Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project Re: TMBG: Official Long Tall Weekend Cover Art Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list TMBG: i assume i need no introduction Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:22:13 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <378C2C94.1DCA570E@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > So, it just occurred to me that I accidentally sent my last post to just > one person (whomever it was, I apologize), and not the list. Hell. > Anyway, to sum it up, everyone got their jobs, and I sobbed a while about > Leffel's betraying of me. Well, along those lines, because this has gone so far, I'll jump in. I, Boba Scott , bounty hunter of the sea, will capture each and every pirate that crosses me if reward money's involved... Or even candy... My ship, "The Penguin", will sail the seas 'til I get bored with it. That's all... Bob "Not going to change my sig" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:00:36 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #19-13 Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > Nicole the Wonder Nerd: > >Ooo! Can I be the person who prods people off the plank? > I think we have that position filled actually, but you could be her > assistant. Or we could get two planks. Whatever. I'm a versatile pirate > captain. Dagnabit. :( In that case, can I be the bo'sun? Not only is it fun to say (try it! bosunbosunbosun), I'm never entirely sure how many apostrophes it has, so I will stock up on apostrophes while on shore leave and use them as I see fit. > My birthday is June 1 1980 and I first heard/saw They Might Be Giants... on > MTV. Who would have thought? Indeed. That's gotta be a first. :) > and I didn't get anything and then I signed up again and I didn't get > anything and now I'm hearing about this free concert and I'm FREAKING out > because I could go if I had a postcard, but I don't. : ( If it helps, I didn't get a postcard (but then again maybe they only mail them to NY-area people) and I've been on the mailing list for years. And no mention of the fan-only show was made in the last Info Club newsletter. I suspect that it works like: 1) You write them, ask for postcard. 2)They send you postcard. 3) You exchange postcard for TMBG tickets (good trade, no?). The procedure is probably academic by now, since the concert's in 3 days. --nicole the "b'o's'u'n'" wonder nerd who wishes to extend a friendly hug to Diana for the accidental usurpation attempt *** "I can't forget the awful sight of your head stuck in the freezer... I couldn't tell if you were experimenting with poor man's cryogenics or looking for the orange sherbet..."--Eddie From Ohio Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:57:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Message-ID: <19990714.115741.-549581.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Mike Leffel, evil is his one and only name: >Oh... that wasn't a cat? Oh no! It was Lamberly! Hey, I'm upset that you blew up my Sailor Elf, but yer really gonna be in trouble when her mother gets a hold of you. Sick 'em, Karen! Nicole, her name isn't evil: >In that case, can I be the bo'sun? Sure. (makes note I have no idea what that it) ever-sincere, eriKa, Boba Scott... hehe.... that's awful. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990714162207.82594.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #19-13 Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:22:07 PDT Nicole Carlson wrote: >On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > Nicole the Wonder Nerd: > > >Ooo! Can I be the person who prods people off the plank? > > I think we have that position filled actually, but you could be > > her > > assistant. Or we could get two planks. Whatever. I'm a versatile > > > >pirate captain. > >Dagnabit. :( In that case, can I be the bo'sun? Not only is it fun >to >say (try it! bosunbosunbosun), I'm never entirely sure how many >apostrophes it has, so I will stock up on apostrophes while on shore >leave >and use them as I see fit. I usually try to keep a dictionary near the computer, but I'm not at my usual computer, so I'm going to have to ask what a bo'sun is. Also, if the position hasn't been taken yet, I'd like to be the ship's cook. I hope everyone likes spaghetti. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Mange!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990714164013.89525.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: NON-TMBG: bo'sun Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:40:13 PDT I had to look up what the definition of bo'sun was also, and here's what dictionary.com said: bo'sun n : a petty officer on a merchant ship who controls the work of other seamen [syn: boatswain, bos'n, bo's'n, bosun] So there you go. And bookmark dictionary.com, it's so handy :) **************************************************** Amy :) mondegreen@tmbg.org _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E4564139232D@mail.schicktech.com> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Article about TMBG!!! Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:58:21 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, Reprinted without permission from the M.I.T. alumni magazine Technology Review Jul/Aug 1999 p.13: FEW PEOPLE EXPECT A ROCK VIDEO TO BE FILMED IN THE ARTI-ficial Intelligence (AI) Laboratory, but that's just what happened this April. A documentary series tentatively titled "Brave New World" was planned by ABC's "Nightline," and several music groups were asked to write songs that included the artist's take on scientific and technological advances. They Might Be Giants drummer Dan Hickey challenged Cog, a six-year-old humanoid robot under the care of AI Laboratory Director Rodney Brooks, to a duel--a drum duel. For several weeks beforehand, Cog "learned" to play the drums. Then Hickey and his Giants partner, John Flansberg [sic], who directed the music video, showed up with camera and drumsticks in hand. "It's an experience like I never had before," Hickey said. "It's really fun." The "winner" of the duel, however, is top secret--not to be revealed until the video is aired this summer. The picture accompanying this article can be found at: http://www.asan.com/users/plassrob/cog.jpg The only known picture of Cog!!! Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:36:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Article about TMBG!!! Message-ID: <19990714.143644.-440005.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >The "winner" >of the duel, however, is top secret--not to be >revealed until the video is aired this summer. Gee, should we all start placing bets over the Dan vs. Cog ordeal? Somebody's got to be bookie here.. ever-sincere, eriKa, and he doesn't have to be a pirate! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:37:44 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378CD8F7.ABF26164@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > Mike Leffel, evil is his one and only name: > >Oh... that wasn't a cat? Oh no! It was Lamberly! > > Hey, I'm upset that you blew up my Sailor Elf, but yer really gonna be in > trouble when her mother gets a hold > of you. Sick 'em, Karen! > She'll be even madder when she finds out that I raped the still-warm shredded corpse! > Nicole, her name isn't evil: > >In that case, can I be the bo'sun? > > Sure. (makes note I have no idea what that it) > It's like a Sherman Helmsly. Mike "Movin' On Up!" Leffel Dr. Leffel Lord of the Seven Seas Rape first, Pillage later! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:35:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Message-ID: <19990714.153541.2686.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau leffel: >She'll be even madder when she finds out that I raped the still-warm >shredded corpse! I am much more a supporter of your brand of pseudo-sane humor than most here seem to be anymore, but the above line was truly uncalled for. Please, keep a bit of tact on a list that caters to fans of all ages; and remember that both the twelve year old girl you referred to above and her mother are fellow members. I send this to the list in lieu of a personal e-mail so as to help avoid a possible deluge of similar responses to Mr. Leffel. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <378CE6C3.9A306F17@conpoint.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:36:35 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > >She'll be even madder when she finds out that I raped the still-warm > >shredded corpse! > > Hey, um. I find a lot of what you say funny and all, and I don't want to > seem like one of those whiny > people that seem to bother you a lot, but, well... that's not cool. The > kid's only twelve. Yer gonna > end up freaking her out. > Well, since you're the 4th message I've gotten in as many minutes, perhaps I'd better explain something. PIRATES RAPED PEOPLE! "RAPE AND PILLAGE" IS NOT A COMEDY SHOW STARRING JOHN RITTER!! I should never had joined the silly pirate game on TMBG list. Pardon me for being a pirate! Mike "See what happens when I post things?" Leffel ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <9d5f3d1d.24be3a40@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:08:48 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: The Good Ship Erika In a message dated 7/14/99 1:05:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mal01@conpoint.com writes: << Oh... that wasn't a cat? Oh no! It was Lamberly! >> Hey Captain Nemo, that was the decoy we had set up for you! Our eagle-eyed crow's nest spotter saw you heading toward us in the distance, and got together with the Sailor Elf herself to fashion up a lifelike decoy of our ship's good luck charm. Twenty years tryin' and you'll miss us again and again -- ya shovel-nosed mackerel! No good bushwackin' barracuda!... Karen "Miss Huff'n & Puff'n's Mutter" Riley ;-) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:45:36 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378CE8E0.4C8B5CCB@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: the good ship eriKa polly j maloiseau wrote: > > I am much more a supporter of your brand of pseudo-sane humor than most > here seem to be anymore, but the above line was truly uncalled for. > Please, keep a bit of tact on a list that caters to fans of all ages; Of Pirates and Movies, if anyone's been monitoring the list lately would see. > and > remember that both the twelve year old girl you referred to above and her > mother are fellow members. > While this is a fact, I was also NOT suggesting that *I* was doing anything LEWD and DISTURBING to someone. Pirate Mike was doing Piratey things to the Pirate Elf. RPG. You know, I noticed a lot of those movies that people liked weren't exactly MADELINE. Should we limit _all_ of our talk to the level of 12 year old acceptance? > I send this to the list in lieu of a personal e-mail so as to help avoid > a possible deluge of similar responses to Mr. Leffel. > Appearantly, when I'm not even trying anything other than PLAY PIRATE (which, when one says PIRATE one must recall the atrocities) I can annoy thousands by the push of a button. While I apologize for any inconvenience I wonder loudly why it is that I should care. I must have forgotten that Pirates only baked cookies and watched BLUES CLUES. But, Sorry. I guess. Mike "I win $1000" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:47:59 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378CE96F.7F45E4EE@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 7/14/99 1:05:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > mal01@conpoint.com writes: > > << Oh... that wasn't a cat? Oh no! It was Lamberly! >> > Hey Captain Nemo, that was the decoy we had set up for you! Our eagle-eyed Um.. don't read the next message.. I didn't think it would offend everyone like that. I meant nothing by it... Mike "Clang Clang WHOOPS too late!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:38:12 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology Message-ID: <19990714.173812.-206781.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" My pirate apology: My little pirate thing perhaps has gotten a bit ... too big. It started as a long-standing inside joke between myself and jay, and I'm glad everyone had a little bit of fun indulging in a tame pirate lifestyle, but perhaps it would have been best if it just stayed an inside joke. Leffel's right though - real pirates were very mean and nasty people and they did lots of mean and nasty things. He was just playing along and certainly meant no harm, of this I am certain. And I'm sure he's gotten plenty of scoldings from the Anti-Leffels (and even one from me, of which I also apologize). Tis not his fault, but my own. I started the pirate game, and I'll end it too. ever-sincere, eriKa, i'm a sad panda. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907142211.SAA13605@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Pirate Apology Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:11:35 -0400 (EDT) > My pirate apology: > > My little pirate thing perhaps has gotten a bit ... too big. It started > as a long-standing inside joke between myself > and jay, and I'm glad everyone had a little bit of fun indulging in a > tame pirate lifestyle, but perhaps it would have > been best if it just stayed an inside joke. > > Leffel's right though - real pirates were very mean and nasty people and > they did lots of mean and nasty things. He was just playing along and > certainly meant no harm, of this I am certain. And I'm sure he's gotten > plenty of scoldings from the Anti-Leffels (and even one from me, of which > I also apologize). > > Tis not his fault, but my own. I started the pirate game, and I'll end it > too. > Arrr, 'tis a sad loss, matey. I was ready to cook up some concoctions for the Lord of the Seven Seas which woulda brought yer ship right to the bottom. Alas, the peace accord is in full swing! *sniff* -Dr. James, no more ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:00:01 -0400 Subject: Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project Message-ID: <19990714.200001.-119255.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker I don't know how many of you have heard of this film, but i just had the privilege of seeing an advanced screening of it and i had to let you all know that you MUST see this movie... especially if you like "horror" films. This is THE scariest movie i have ever seen! I almost had to walk out a little over halfway through because the suspense was just too much. Some people did walk out... there's a lot of hype out there about whether or not the film is real or not and i've done a decent amount of research and come to my own conclusions which i won't share with you yet. I urge you to see the movie FIRST and THEN read into the hype surrounding it. That's what i did and i think it will make the movie even more enjoyable for you. I'm definitely gonna hafta change my top films post and put the Blair Witch Project in the top ten. Anyway, go see this with some of your friends or your girlfriend/boyfriend... you're not gonna wanna see this alone! That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990715001102.28607.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:11:00 PDT The following is a log of things said between me and an ex-member of this list. (She has asked to remain annonymous) 7-9-99 --------------- Her: "Yeah... I gotta step away for about 5 minutes, but I'll be back. In the meantime, think about this... I'm on TMBG mailing list and NG. Is it just my imagination or are they both getting really pathetic lately?" Me: "I know nothing about NG, but the list is starting to suck, yeah." Her: "My five minutes has been delayed...Oh, well. So, yeah. It sucks. I tried the off-topic list Dex set up. I was on it for three days, then got the hell off it. In the actual TMBG forums, I don't mind off-topic stuff, but am a little tired of 1) listing stuff and 2) listening to loads of back-and-forth-really-should-be-personal-e-mail discussions between a couple of people." Me: "Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! Non-TMBG: Nuh-Uh! Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! Tmbg: TMBG Dream! Non-TMBG: Nuh-Uh! Non-TMBG: Jar Jar Binks! Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! Non-TMBG: Nuh-Uh! Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! Non-TMBG: Okay, Okay..." Her: "Non-TMBG: Top ten other bands Non-TMBG: I ate some cereal today Non-TMBG: Top ten movies TMBG: When does LTW come out? TMBG: Where can I get an MP3 of ... Non-TMBG: You suck! Non-TMBG: I don't suck! Non-TMBG: Some stupid high school band story Non-TMBG: I ate that cereal, too. Amazing! Non-TMBG: You suck! Non-TMBG: I don't suck! Non-TMBG: Top ten favorite diseases..." Me: "Tmbg: The Pheonix Show Tmbg: The Rochester Show Tmbg: The Richmond Show Tmbg: The Buffalow Show Non-TMBG: My Favorite toe fungus Tmbg: RE: The Richmond Show Tmbg: Re: The Richmond Show Non-TMBG: Moxy Furvous Tmbg: Redneck Rampage Referece Tmbg: Re: The Richmond Show Tmbg: Re: The Pheonix Show Tmbg: I've never been to a TMBG concert Tmbg: Me neither Tmbg: Cool Tmbg: Yeah!" Her: "That about covers it. Oh, wait! What about "Careless Santa"?" Me: "I dunno, I didn't even bother reading those. Do you remember "Mike Leffel is God"?" Her: "Yeah, vaguely. Now that Leffel is on the list I find him a sometimes amusing guy, but I don't get why people are *so* enamored of him. But, then, the "popular" folks on both the list and NG tend to irk the shit out of me. I tend to enjoy reading posts from the people everybody else says is an asshole. * -------------------------------------------------------------------------- On the NG, it's Stangl, Yer Pal Paul, and the evils. I think they're funny and smart and everybody else hates them. On the list, um...I can't think of anyone on the list. Why do I still subscribe? Maybe it's time to stop." Me: "Sometimes it get's nasty, eh?" Her: "Yes. I hate list threads about somebody on the list. It's like talking about someone who's sitting right there. Rude and annoying. There's been a thread on one NG'er going on for a week now. I jumped in to say "hey, give it a rest." and ended up arguing w/ some guy for a post or two. I just dropped that...I was getting sucked into the stupidity. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 7-14-99 Her: "...It's a TMBG song (not released) "Certain People I Could Name". I'm pretty sure it's been on the dial-a-song website...and floating 'round in mp3 and live formats." ----------------- Me: "Non-TMBG: I'm new. Non-TMBG: So? F**k off. Non-TMBG: My mommie's on the list Non-TMBG: AWWW, WE LOVE YOU! Non-TMBG: Yes, we do! Non-TMBG: WE ALL LOVE YOU!Non-TMBG: I want to be a pirate Non-TMBG: Me Too!! Non-TMBG: And Me!!!!!!!1 Non-TMBG: Can i be a pirate? Non-TMBG: I wanna scrub the floors! Non-TMBG: I wann clean the toilet Non-TMBG: Haha! I'm already a pirate! Non-TMBG: No fair! Capn Erika, make him stop! Non-TMBG: No. Non-TMBG: YES!" Her: "Oh, shit! That is so on... After about the 6459th "pirate post" I unsubscribed. Screw it. And what is it with that Karen woman? Can you say "too much information in each and every post"? Now that her kid's on, the list will probably be subjected to even more info on her recitals, schoolwork, etc. --------------------------- Well, if you do, I guess I'd better remain anonymous, then. I feel kind of bad for her. She seems kinda sad and lonely. The others we're making fun of (erika, leffel, etc.) are just being annoying." * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199907150022.TAA06344@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:22:01 -0500 (EST) Josh Buckland writes that he is annoyed by list topics such as: > Tmbg: The Pheonix Show > Tmbg: The Rochester Show > Tmbg: The Richmond Show > Tmbg: The Buffalow [sic] Show Um, why would you be annoyed by messages about TMBG and their music? Concert accounts are one of the main reasons I have remained on the TMBG list(s) for the last eight or nine years. They only come to my area once or twice a year, and it is interesting to hear about what they are doing in concert the rest of the time, and what new songs they are trying out. What other sort of discussion would you *like* to see on a TMBG list? m@t ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:00:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: Official Long Tall Weekend Cover Art Up now at emusic.com, yay! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:09:36 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Message-ID: <19990714.210937.-453241.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Putting up messages with cracks about people on this list is one of the most petty, vindictive and immature things I've ever seen. Okay, maybe you don't like me or Mike Leffel or whoever because you may think we're annoying or whatever. I don't care, and I'm sure Leffel doesn't either. Deal with it; delete our messages, bitch about us with your friend, whatever. I'm not going to change how I am because you don't like it. No one's forcing you to read the damn pirate messages (which, if you were paying any attention whatsoever, I've ended, apologized for, and never intended to be such a silly ordeal in the first place), or anything else for that matter. But it wasn't even so much this slander about myself that upset me (although it's a bit uncalled for, because truly, what have I ever done to you or anyone else?), it's that you go and rag on Karen. So what if she's proud of her kids? You go out and have a couple children and see if they never do anything that you'd want to share with others. You want to talk about things that are annoying, this big ol' high-and-mighty attitude you and your "anonymous friend" are displaying is pretty damn annoying. If the list just sucks so much that it's not up to your standards, then unsubscribe and you can whine about it to your friend all you want. Grow up already, things aren't always just as you like them. ever-sincere, eriKa, wha wha wha. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907150118.VAA59156@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:18:51 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Mr. Buckland, you of all people have absolutely no right to complain about shite threads on the list. If you hate it so much, do us all a favor and unsubscribe. Otherwise, keep your complaints to yourself. --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:34:31 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378D3AA6.5F7DEC8@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list I shouldn't appeal to him, because he obviously wants bad attention.... but.. Cap'n eriKa said: >Putting up messages with cracks about people on this list is one of the >most petty, vindictive and immature things I've ever seen. Okay, maybe >you don't like me or Mike Leffel or whoever because you may think we're >annoying or whatever. I don't care, and I'm sure Leffel doesn't either. I couldn't care less! He obviously has a problem with you, me, and all the other 'popular'(??????!?!!!) people on the list. And eriKa, I hope you didn't take me as disliking your thread.. I just shouldn't have been 'Pirate Mike Leffel' on it with my 'humour'.. We can still engage in Poke'Battles, eh? ^_^ Matthew Coon wrote: > > Josh Buckland writes that he is annoyed by list topics such as: > > > Tmbg: The Pheonix Show > > Tmbg: The Rochester Show > > Tmbg: The Richmond Show > > Tmbg: The Buffalow [sic] Show > > Um, why would you be annoyed by messages about TMBG and their > music? Concert accounts are one of the main reasons I have > remained on the TMBG list(s) for the last eight or nine years. > They only come to my area once or twice a year, and it is > interesting to hear about what they are doing in concert the rest > of the time, and what new songs they are trying out. > > What other sort of discussion would you *like* to see on a TMBG list? Possibly something about how Josh Buckland is God! ^_^ Mike "Der, I'm joining off topic lists, then getting annoyed that they're so offtopic!" Leffel Buckland: >"Non-TMBG: I'm new. >Non-TMBG: So? F**k off. >Non-TMBG: My mommie's on the list >Non-TMBG: AWWW, WE LOVE YOU! If this isn't attention jealousy, I don't know what is. You'd probably be better recieved if you didn't pull that whole "Josh is dead" thing... I reread the archives when I was gone.. geez man, talk about a nutty post thread. And what the hell do you have with me? I wasn't even ON the list and you were going on and on about me! Cripes! Find a new hobby! Buckland: >Well, if you do, I guess I'd better remain anonymous, then. So brave. So very brave. > I feel kind of >bad for her. She seems kinda sad and lonely. The others we're making fun >of (erika, leffel, etc.) are just being annoying." But this, insulting almost everyone on the list, isn't annoying at all. And where were you 'making fun' of us? I just saw criticizing. Making fun of us would be along the lines of "WHOA! THEY GOT BIG HEADS DON'T THEY! HA HA!" >"Yeah, vaguely. Now that Leffel is on the list I find him a sometimes >amusing guy, but I don't get why people are *so* enamored of him. Free Co-Ed Naked t-shirts. >But, >then, the "popular" folks on both the list and NG tend to irk the shit out >of me. Just don't read it then! Criminy! ^_^ I GOT SHITPANTS! Mike "Anonymous! Did she write PRIMARY COLORS?" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907150147.VAA02774@fellspt.charm.net> From: "Matt James" Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:46:24 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Blair Witch Project > I don't know how many of you have heard of this film, but i just had the > privilege of seeing an advanced screening of it and i had to let you > all know that you MUST see this movie... especially if you like "horror" > films. This is THE scariest movie i have ever seen! I almost had to > walk > out a little over halfway through because the suspense was just too much. > Some people did walk out... there's a lot of hype out there about whether > or not the film is real or not and i've done a decent amount of research > and come to my own conclusions which i won't share with you yet. I urge > you to see the movie FIRST and THEN read into the hype surrounding it. > That's what i did and i think it will make the movie even more enjoyable > for > you. I'm definitely gonna hafta change my top films post and put the > Blair > Witch Project in the top ten. Anyway, go see this with some of your > friends > or your girlfriend/boyfriend... you're not gonna wanna see this alone! > Wow, this film sounds very cool. I thought that the name of the town sounds familiar, I drove right by it on my way to Harper's Ferry from Baltimore, it's only about 40 minutes from my apartment and workplace out in Frederick County, MD. Pretty freaky, you can't get much better than real life horror, I guess! -Matt Matt James mattj@charm.net ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:50:44 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: Official Long Tall Weekend Cover Art Message-ID: There were some problems getting this picture lately... For people having trouble with the emusic site you can see the cover at: http://www.tmbg.net/tmbgcover.gif It is.... interesting... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > Up now at emusic.com, yay! > > Kay > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907150209.WAA59058@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:10:10 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list At 08:34 PM 7/14/99 -0500, Mike Leffel wrote: >>"Yeah, vaguely. Now that Leffel is on the list I find him a sometimes >>amusing guy, but I don't get why people are *so* enamored of him. > >Free Co-Ed Naked t-shirts. Yeah! We don't need no stinking OMLT's! :) --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:53:09 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Message-ID: <19990714.225822.-455417.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" The loved, the hated Mike Leffel: >And eriKa, I hope you didn't take me as disliking your thread.. I just >shouldn't have been 'Pirate Mike Leffel' on it with my 'humour'.. We can >still engage in Poke'Battles, eh? ^_^ Ah, s'okay. I'd never had a pirate rival before, I guess I'm better left without competition. But, of course, the Poke Battles stay (pika pika). >You'd probably be better recieved if you didn't pull that whole "Josh is dead" thing... Wasn't that inspired by playing some Beatles song backwards...? >>"Yeah, vaguely. Now that Leffel is on the list I find him a sometimes >>amusing guy, but I don't get why people are *so* enamored of him. >Free Co-Ed Naked t-shirts. Dang. That would make me enamored with anyone. People running for the presidency should use that strategy. >Mike "Anonymous! Did she write PRIMARY COLORS?" Leffel Perhaps she did all those wonderful quotes that they use on greeting cards. Or maybe that's another Anonymous I'm thinking of. ever-sincere, eriKa, co-martyr of annoyance. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990715034546.71108.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:45:45 PDT >I ever done to you or anyone else?), it's that you go and rag on Karen. >So what if she's proud of her kids? A) You seemed to have missed he little reminders as to who said what. I really don't have a damn the thing against you, Karen, or her daughter. I was making fun of the subject lines that pop-up on the list from time to time. I might remind you that she was the one ripping on people. B) You should all be pretty glad that I edited out about 56% of what was said. Mostly comming from her end. Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <378D5A9B.FB16E72@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:50:51 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list ok, I'm going to give my take on this, as someone who has been on the list for the past 4 years or so... true, discussion of off-topicness doesn't work very well in its own defense, but I'm going to attempt to make the point anyway. :) Most people who read this list are going out over modems. I'd venture to say that most of them are 28.8k or slower. A few people probably have cable modems, T1 connections, DSL, and 56k modems. Messages take time to download. Recently, I think the 11th of this month, there was a TMBG concert. And honestly, from the discussions on this list, you wouldn't know it. I read this list because I'm interested in discussion of TMBG and TMBG-related things, *especially* concert and album/song reviews. True, one can't expect a list like this, with the size it's reached (Leo, got any numbers for me?) to stay "on topic" all the time. But when I download 15 new messages, hoping to see a review of a concert I'm pretty sure happened at some point, and they're all some inside joke between two or three people on the list, it really tempts me to unsubscribe. (no offense to those who started it - I believe that it was an honest "mistake" - no one realized how it would turn out) So then I'd be stuck with the newsgroup, which, in addition to being uninformative, often rude, and geared towards an "in group," is also plagued by frequent spam. I like the list because it is more of a community than the newsgroup. I even remember when people talked of list get togethers and such. A lot of things have changed since I joined the list, true. They Might Be Giants were a simpler act for one. Doing less things, pretty much just releasing their albums and doing shows and that was it. tmbg.com didn't even exist (anyone remember www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg?) There's a lot more to discuss now about TMBG. Their career has gone in an... interesting... direction... A second thing that's happened is that the list has become considerably younger. Most of the active list participants when I first joined were my age (18 at the time) or older, but usually not very far out of college at the high end of the range. Now we have a much more diverse group, ranging all the way from 13 to 40. There's a lot more stuff that isn't related to TMBG that people are going to be willing or able to discuss, which makes it more likely that some side discussion will develop. I'm not saying this is a bad thing - diversity is good - but it's bound to annoy a decent portion of the list population, *most* of which never posts at all. I think it would perhaps be a good idea for everyone here to think for a moment about why they subscribe to this list, and what they're looking for in it. And from what I've seen recently, if you're looking for TMBG content, I'm not sure this is the right place anymore. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: <95365e88.24beb36a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:45:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: i assume i need no introduction i was on this list back in the summer of '96. i've been joined on for 3 days now, and i'm still a little confused about the pirate thing, but i think i get the jist of it. I decided to write tonight to say "what's w/ the hostility"? c' mon, humans! stop being, um, Human!! i think ya'll need to take this list a little less seriously. the guy who affectionatly sent us quotes from a conversation he had-- i think that was supposed to be a wake-up call. this is a TMBG list!! at least keep the trailing off reasonable, like messages about music, or music related things(i'm not in charge...just my opinion). i know the pirate thing was apologized for. And yeah, the 'conversation' was perhaps offensive. yeah, i could see it offending some. i don't know.... i just wanted to say "mellow out, all"!!!! we're here to talk about a great band and, since we have that in common, talk about other stuff too.....reasonably..( IMHO). -brian "how can mortals stand to eat this?" -Lestat ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:10:18 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378D5F29.CF4609F7@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Someone, somewhere, using some language, Buckland, said: > > >I ever done to you or anyone else?), it's that you go and rag on Karen. > >So what if she's proud of her kids? > My friend says she's proud of her photos of dingos! My friend won't let me post them, cause the dingos want to remain anonymous! Who them dingos be? Never know! Whaahooties! > A) You seemed to have missed he little reminders as to who said what. I > really don't have a damn the thing against you, Karen, or her daughter. I > was making fun of the subject lines that pop-up on the list from time to > time. Why? I don't see you adding anything of substance either. And, half of the threads you listed were fake anyway. > I might remind you that she was the one ripping on people. > But, you were the one who posted 'her' complaints. For what reason??? Oh! To irk the others! To get people yelling! To bring your name to the list! Ah, it could be a plot from DIAGNOSIS MURDER! I wanna play Dick VanDyke! And can you please explain the differences between the posts you complain about, and yours? I fail to see the differences myself. Well, except ... nevermind. > B) You should all be pretty glad that I edited out about 56% of what was > said. Mostly comming from her end. > Friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous just told me that second hand information passed on to the list isn't as reliable as you might think! Friend of mine wishes she were as popular on the list as that god, Mike Leffel! Friend of mine says you're damn lucky that I didn't post half of what she says! WHoo Hoo! What a lot of things she says! I wish I could say them, but she don't want me to! Ho Ho! Why? Who knows? Shadow knows! Mike "Whaa! I killed myself!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:33:09 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Message-ID: <19990715.003315.-422037.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >A) You seemed to have missed he little reminders as to who said what. I >really don't have a damn the thing against you, Karen, or her daughter. I >was making fun of the subject lines that pop-up on the list from time to >time. I might remind you that she was the one ripping on people. Oh gee, it's really easy to say "She said everything, I was just going along with it." Take the weight off of you a bit, since you're the one still here for everyone to chew out. No matter who said it, you still had the audacity to post it. And if your friend's been unsubscribed, then maybe she should find better things to do than complain about than members of old mailing lists. Or at least better things to complain about. >B) You should all be pretty glad that I edited out about 56% of what was >said. Mostly comming from her end. Oh, saints be praised! Let's all do a dance, I'm so glad he edited it! Please. I was disgusted you even went and did that, and I'd still be disgusted if you hadn't edited. ever-sincere, eriKa, madre de dios! thank you, oh wonderful delete key for the miracles you've performed today! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990715043612.68815.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:36:11 PDT >madre de dios! thank you, oh wonderful delete key for the miracles you've >performed today! > If you've been using your delete key that often than why is it that you've managed to see everything I've posted? Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:54:24 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Message-ID: <19990715.005424.-465581.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >If you've been using your delete key that often than why is it that you've >managed to see everything I've posted? You didn't get it. Nevermind. I'm not going to argue about this anymore. ever-sincere, eriKa, blah blah talking. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-15 ******************************