Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 18 Sunday, 18 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Sillyness (was The TMBG-list) Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: Why I joined TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? TMBG: Feeling like a bitch...Deservedly so. Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? TMBG: poker Re: TMBG: Feeling like a bitch...Deservedly so. and barely Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? TMBG: Poker Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists TMBG: I need your help. Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists TMBG: Dan vs. Cog Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Re: TMBG: Dan vs. Cog Re: NON-TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: Not much TMBG: The TMBG-list RE: TMBG: Re:The TMBG-list RE: TMBG: Re:The TMBG-list Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Re: NON-TMBG: Poker Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list TMBG: To Karen and the rest. Feeling like a bastard...Deservedly so. Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list TMBG: TMBG-Related: A song Re: NON-TMBG: Poker Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:28:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Sillyness (was The TMBG-list) Message-ID: <19990715.154717.-195841.4.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray Now, I personally promote sillyness, the world would be a boring place w/ out it. And I loved the pirate joke, probably cause I could relate to it. I've been having some major pirate experiences lately, and it seems to be getting popular with the people I associate with, almost as popular as chocolate covered midgets. Not only that, but the whole ordeal seemed to create a spur of creativity on the list, and IMO that is a very good thing. I'm sad to see the pirate discussion go, I've had many a fun time ROFLing at it, and I'm sure John and John would support list creativity. down with conformists Mysterio Gal (Clagr McBlu aka Vanessa Siesta) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:01:27 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <378E3E16.31F17C24@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Okay, I suppose I might as well add something to this. I'm not saying its gonna be great, but...ah. Anyway, I can't really say I go only with one person's opinion, because I've kinda got mixed feelings. I don't really mind off topic posts and I often like reading things because they're by people who I've grown to know over the 5 or 6 months I've been here. But also, I do want to hear about concerts and all too. Lawrence P Solomon wrote: Recently, I think the 11th of this month, there was a TMBG concert. And > honestly, from the discussions on this list, you wouldn't know it. As practically everyone knows, I finally got to go to my first concert on the 10th and I was a little let down at the beginning, because there wasn't the `normal' rush of what people were going and wearing and etc. beforehand. But I didn't mind really, because I know that most people probably don't really care much about that. I know I don't really care too much about what someone's wearing to a concert 5 states away from me, but if people wanna discuss that, its ok with me. I'm flexible. Then I got the big surprise that no one else was going. (I might wanna point out that I have this childish vision of the list with millions of people who know everything and there's someone at every concert. this is probably because, at least when i first came, there was someone at every concert. at least i never heard of a concert and then didn't hear who was going to it. or something like that this was way too long in parenthesis, i apologize) The concert was really the most exciting day, 'cause there was so much energy and so many fans in my area that I never knew about. ...and THE JOHNS WERE THERE. So I posted my lone review, still thinking maybe some lurker went (anyone?) I got one reply (thank you Adam) and it kinda died. Oh well. Like I said before, I probably just got my hopes up after starting this list with so so many reviews and stuff. But I'm flexible. Whatever you guys wanna talk about is fine with me. um, bye! well, the concert REALLY ROCKED!!, Laura, who hopes she didn't say anything she wasn't supposed to... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <5fe61415.24bfa2f4@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:47:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Always, when someone posts something like this, the same exact thing always happens! There is no point in fighting the ways of the list. The way to change the list to how you would like is to post something that you would like to read replys to. I doubt Josh wanted to read 20 messages ripping on him for posting that message. So, Josh, what do you want to talk about? The deeper hidden meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth? That actually sounds cool to me. Just throw something out there (having to do with TMBG, of course!!) and you'll start a lot of interesting discussion. And, I must say, that portion of the message making fun of people for talking about TMBG shows was just rediculous. I'm always excited after a show and I want to talk about it with people who I know are just as excited about the same thing! Since I've been on the list I've almost always thrown in at least a comment or two about a show I've seen. And I like reading other people's accounts of the shows they've seen. Sometimes you'll get stuff you want to read about and sometimes you won't. That's just the way it is. Well, I bet people are tired of reading about this so I'll just stop now. Diana ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:46:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Why I joined Message-ID: <19990715.154720.-195841.5.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray I know exactly why I joined, and kept coming back. I got 125 messages today, probably due to laziness, but I'm not complainin'. I joined to find out what's up with TMBG, and to relate to fellow TMBG fans. It fascinates me that so many of us can be so much alike, before the list, I figured that I was alone in the universe. When I subscribe onto other lists, I find myself hoping that they are as good as this one. Some lists are just plain boring. There is one newsletter sent out once a week, and NO communicating between listees, it's very impersonal. I might add that I'm currently on 5 lists, and barely have time to keep up, but I still enjoy it. With a very stressful lifestyle, I enjoy a good laugh once in a while. And this list has been making me very happy, especially with the pirate discussion on the ontopic list, and the muyppet discussion on the offtopic list. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I just wanted to voice my opinion. Mysterio Gal (Clagr McBlu aka Vanessa Siesta) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990715210803.27752.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:08:02 PDT I've been turning this over in my head from time to time, and in the tradition of presidents Lincoln and Kennedy, there seem to be a lot of erie similarities between my two favorite bands: They Might Be Giants and The Beatles. In both bands, the member whom is generally considered to be the most talented is named John (try to figure out which one I mean). At the height of beatles career, the Beatles' career, they released two albums a year. They Might be Giants have, until recently, been releasing one album every two years. Spooky. (Then and Misc. T don't count because they were chiefly composed of previously released material.) In both bands the members who wrote most of the songs were friends in their youth, only to be separated and rejoined at a later date and form bands. There are more coincidences, but I can't think of them all right now. Let me know if anybody knows of any others. What I can remember is my explanation for it all. Think about it. They Might Be Giants were formed around 1983 very few years after John Lennon died and Paul McCartney died as the musician he was. What happened was the muse left the former Beatles, and after a few years of searching, descended on John and John. Kind of like an artistic reincarnation. "That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's something else" Peace love and understanding, John "The Third John" Landis _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <378E5497.8B1A03AB@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:37:27 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: TMBG: Feeling like a bitch...Deservedly so. To the entire list: Josh Buckland contacted me via ICQ a few weeks ago, and we have chatted occasionally since. I'm not sure why his reputation is what it is or what he did before...that must've been before my time. In the responses to his most recent post, I've seen a lot of things discussed about his "past problems", and I am in complete ignorance. But, he *isn't* a liar...not this time, if ever. There was another person involved in the dialogue posted--Me. I'm here to take full responsibility for my part in it. Yesterday, I was fed up with the recent (last few weeks) excessive volume of posts, most of which could best be described as in-jokes and/or conversations better conducted in private. I finally decided to unsubscribe, and, during a chat with Josh, was venting about things I didn't like on the list. I had no plans to post complaints here. I just unsubscribed and that was that. I am only back now because I read his original post and some responses--which he forwarded to me via e-mail. The problems caused by the post make me feel quite ashamed of myself. The conversation was edited, but I can't deny having said what I said. Anything else said about the list/listees that was not posted should remain unposted...There is one important part I'd like to make known, though, which insults no one. A flimsy defense on my part, but here it is... ***** him: Know what? I'm going to post our work to the list. Want to be named, or annonymous? me: What work? him: Our making fun of the subject lines of the TMBG list. me: Yeah, that's cool. You can name me if you like...I don't care. Just refrain from using my last comments about that lady and her daughter, if you would. It'd be kind of mean to get into personal slams...I don't like to do that. him: Actually, I'd like to use that as an end-note. me: Nah...Well, if you do, I guess I'd better remain anonymous, then... **** I really didn't want that stuff posted. I thought the "fake threads" thing was a humorous poke at recent list activity. The other stuff was just plain mean. In the privacy of the conversation w/ Josh, I said things that I wouldn't say here or anywhere else...I don't know...To give an example: I could have said to a friend of mine who happened to be walking with me, "Man, that guy at the bus stop sure was ugly!" I am not saying this in front of the guy, I am not saying it to someone who knows and cares about the guy, and I am not attempting to hurt the guy. It doesn't make it a nice thing to say, but I think most people tend to be cruel and unthinking in this way occasionally. I was, and now it comes back to get me. Anyway, that's it. I'm not re-subscribing or posting any further defense or excuses. I am sorry everyone had to read this entire thread. I am especially sorry to the individuals named in the conversation posted. Extra special apologies to Karen and Erika. One of the things I was venting about was the proliferation of off-topic posts with no "real" information (on or off topic) in them...Both of you had posted a lot of such things lately, so you were the people I complained about in my chat with Josh. I suppose I could say "no offense intended", but intention doesn't matter. I can only say, "I'm sorry." Out'a here... CN ------------------------------ Message-ID: <378E5B6A.D7EDE9DC@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:06:34 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? John Landis wrote: > There are more coincidences, but I can't think of them all right > now. Let me know if anybody knows of any others. What I can remember is my > explanation for it all. Think about it. They Might Be Giants were formed > around 1983 very few years after John Lennon died and Paul McCartney died as > the musician he was. What happened was the muse left the former Beatles, and > after a few years of searching, descended on John and John. Kind of like an > artistic reincarnation. Both Linnell and Flansburgh have done solo work, as did all four Beatles. Some Beatles fans questioned the release of some of their later work (at the time) because it was such a departure from what they had done before. TMBG fans questioned Factory Showroom and Severe Tire Damage. The Beatles made "music videos" (or the 60s approximation thereof) involving them doing wacky things and not making much sense, kind of like TMBG videos. The Beatles were on drugs. People think TMBG are on drugs. LeNNoN has almost the same consonant pattern as LiNNeLl. John Flansburgh is left handed, like Paul McCartney. John Flansburgh is also strongly identified by his glasses, like John Lennon was. John Linnell and Paul McCartney play almost exactly the same instruments (piano, accordion, bass, guitar? [don't know if Paul plays regular guitar]) There was also some legendary "fifth Beatle," but no third John... :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:36:42 -0500 Subject: TMBG: poker Message-ID: <19990715.175654.16462.7.khurby@juno.com> From: sheldon p friedman i have but a simple request in a game of regulation poker ... seven card stud ... does a straight flush beat five aces? i await your collective replies mike k ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:00:30 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Feeling like a bitch...Deservedly so. and barely Message-ID: <19990715.190035.7542.5.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau I originally sent the following to Carlyn Nugent, but ... well, I thought it might be relevent here, too. And if you stretch it, it's almost on topic. In fact, to give it some on-topic relevence: I don't guess that anyone has more information concerning the upcoming children's album than has been posted on theymightbegiants.com? For some reason I'm very much looking forward to this. It'll give me a chance to explore my sorely-neglected inner-child, hiding it behind the mask of an obsessive fan (it is infinitely better to be an obsessive fan than one in touch with his inner child, it seems). When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, my aunt--a school teacher in Alachua county, whose sole claim to fame is being the poorest county in the entire nation--made no attempt to hide her delight at hearing such songs as Mammal, WDTSS, and James K. Polk (even I Palindrome I, though the bitch line turned her off; I can't see why, her first graders have surely heard worse ). I have thusly been commissioned to purchase a copy of the children's album for her as soon as it achieves commercial availability. Woohoo! A quest! And now to this e-mail's original point: I enjoyed your posts; and that you're leaving is a shame. To come to the defense of my dearest friend Erika: She played little part in the deluge of meaningless posts resulting from an (originally) inside joke between her and I. One person began playing with it, and others quickly joined; and before long it tumbled far out of hand. I make no apologies; but she is innocent in that the subject and its posts were not her fault; and she knew to put an end to the matter after it had escalated so far. In any event, my condolences are offered that you found such frustration with the list at large. Yours was an intelligent voice I valued, here; and it will be missed. In regards to Mr. Buckland's list-wide infamy: Most seem to hold ill opinions of him because he often brings considerable trouble upon making his presence known. Soon after he first joined the list, his posts weren't given much attention ... and so he responded with an e-mail supposedly from his "wife," saying that, after being scorned by members of the tmbg-list, he shot himself dead. Sort of reminds me of a friend of mine. Whenever a girlfriend isn't paying attention, he goes crazy and threatens to kill himself; and that immaturity should not be forgiven. Josh is the same way, and carries the extra baggage that he seems to enjoy prodding people. Or so it seems. But lo, I hath ground your ear to pulp; and so I leave you with what I hope are goody-byes free of too much animosity. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990715160850.0069d244@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:08:50 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Actually, most of the Lincoln/Kennedy "coincidences" really are just misconceptions. There was an article about that not too long ago at http://www.snopes.com/ -Adam At 02:08 PM 7/15/99 PDT, John Landis wrote: > I've been turning this over in my head from time to time, and in the >tradition of presidents Lincoln and Kennedy, there seem to be a lot of erie >similarities between my two favorite bands: They Might Be Giants and The >Beatles. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907152329.TAA40730@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:30:28 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list At 04:47 PM 7/15/99 -0400, DKocar@aol.com wrote: >I doubt Josh wanted to read 20 messages ripping on >him for posting that message. Actually, I think that's exactly what he wanted. >So, Josh, what do you want to talk about? Josh wants to read about people talking about Josh. --Jason, who's not helping matters by talking about Josh...d'oh!-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907152336.TAA52776@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:37:24 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? At 06:06 PM 7/15/99 -0400, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >The Beatles were on drugs. People think TMBG are on drugs. You mean fans or casual observers? If you mean the latter, I totally agree. In fact, a friend of mine recently made this comment when watching Direct From Brooklyn for the first time: "What were these guys smoking when they made these videos?" I guess it's hard for people to fathom creativity or uniqueness that does not come from narcotics... --Jason-- P.S.: because of the high praise that "The Usual Suspects" recently got from this list, I gave it a rent yesterday and loved it! Thanks a lot! ------------------------------ From: Jicholas Wolf Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:03:21 -0600 (MDT) Subject: TMBG: Poker Message-ID: In any poker game, a five of a kind is the best hand you can get, even beating out a Royal Flush. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:52:05 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists Message-ID: <19990715.175512.-257767.0.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray > Let me start a new thread. What other goups do people subscribe to? I > subscribe to a creative radio users group which sometimes comes up > with real gems about community radio around the world. I used to > subscribe to the Moxy Fruvous group but couldn't keep up. > I am currently subscribed to TMBGofftopic Ed Furniture, the company I associate with has 3 small groups: Wooden Money (open for staff members only), The Left Leg (online magazine that is open to the public), and Couch Into Space (highly questionable) Info can be found at http://www.edfurniture.com (always up for a shameless self plug :) I'm also on several update lists: Tei and Riki (an online yaoi(sp?), or gay anime comic) *whooo hoooo* Team Rocket HQ http://teamr.upnetwork.com best damn Team Rocket page I've ever seen *WHOOOO Team Rocket* Gotham Newsletter (absolutely everything you need to know in the world of Batman) and finally am a reporter for the the new h2g2 (hitchhiker's) website I'd be on the DMEB (Darth Maul Estrogen Brigade (don't laugh)) if they had room for me (so many listeees that they can't let more in for the time being, you can only unsubscribe (imagine what that must be like)) Past lists include the Jeff Goldblum list (much like this one but smaller) > Richard > Mysterio Gal (Clagr McBlu aka Vanessa Siesta) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:25:03 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: I need your help. Message-ID: <19990715202503.A3985@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets Something interesting has happened, and I need your help. Some bozo uploaded a bunch of MP3's to ftp.tmbg.org in the incoming directory. This was pretty stupid, as you cannot download anything from that directory until someone on the tmbg.org staff reviews the upload. People often upload stuff like this and I just delete it. Anyway, another bozo (or possibly the same one) asked Lycos's MP3 search engine to index it, which it did. The Lycos search engine doesn't seem to care that the files cannot be downloaded. So, now I'm getting about 20 hits/second of people trying to download these MP3's they can't have. It's really annoying. To make things worse, Lycos doesn't seem to want to remove my site, and their ISP is being less than helpful. I have taken steps to fix the web site. Now, you can't see any files in the incoming directory (so they cannot be indexed). Also, ftp.tmbg.org has been temporarily closed. What I want you to do is help me get Lycos to unindex me. I would ask that every list member send a message to Lycos _once_ (please, we don't need to spam them), of the following form: To: webmaster@lycos.com Subject: Please remove ftp.tmbg.org from the MP3 index. Please remove ftp.tmbg.org from your MP3 index. There were never any MP3's to download at that site, and you have incorrectly indexed it. Because of your abuse I cannot get to the information I wanted at the site. Thank you. Feel free to cut and paste the above. webmaster@lycos.com is the address they ask to receive feedback at on their web site. Thanks for your help. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:35:49 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists Message-ID: <19990715.204347.-438833.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >What other goups do people subscribe to? Let's see. I'm a very happy member of the Offtopic List. I'm on a couple OneList mailing lists; one for "RentHeads" (which, for those of you not hip to the lingo are fans of the musical Rent), and the other a fairly lame Ben Folds Five list full of little girlies who have been BF5 fans for a whole two weeks! (wow!) and some Australian people, most of which are kind of whiny (not that I'm saying all Australian people are whiny. I'm sure most of them are very nice. heck, Mr. Folds himself up and married one. but most of the ones on that list are pretty whiny). Past lists include one I was on called Stutt-L, which was for people who stutter. I had a friend who stuttered at the time, and I ended up learning a lot about the whole thing. I was a complete lurker though, because I had little to add to the conversation since I was lacking the speech impediment. Another was a really bad Rent list, where everyone just talked about which cast members they wanted to have sex with, and it was pretty awful. Also, I was on the BF5 list the Magical Armchair for about a day, and then my head blew up and I had to unsubscribe. ever-sincere, eriKa, Ah! Off-topic! Don't kill me! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <1556db68.24bfe31c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:21:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >The Beatles were on drugs. People think TMBG are on drugs. That would be me who suggested that recently (though I'm sure there were others before me). Well, I guess I was just kidding when they were acting the way they were in Chicago. I actually think TMBG doesn't seem to be the type who would be heavy users of drugs. Maybe occaisonally, but I definitely don't think they'd show up at a concert stoned or drunk or anything. Then again, I never think Flans is the type to yell, "how the FUCK are ya'?" at the beginning of shows. Sigh. Diana ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990715185833.0069c894@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:58:33 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists I'm on lots. :-) Here's a list, with a very short review of each: This list, of course - OK, mostly The Magical Armchair (Ben Folds Five) - sucks The Treefort (Barenaked Ladies) - mostly sucks Masters of the Universe - sucks White Lightning (Everclear) - my interest in Everclear has greatly faded over the past year, so I'd say 'sucks' Chalkhills (XTC) - borders between "OK" and "good"; too many overblown rants, esp. LP vs. CD debates Smelly Tongues (the Residents) - I'm too out of the Residential loop to enjoy it Opium (Jump Little Children) - sucks Presidents of the United States of America - really sucks Shrapnel-list (just some friends of mine from Florida) - good Teen Beat Records - posts are few and far between Splat! (Killer Tomatoes) - no one ever posts Cherry Poppin' Daddies - no one ever posts Dementia! (comedy music) - no one ever posts Tuscadero (the band, of course) - no one ever posts I'm on some more, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head. -Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716033550.18486.rocketmail@web222.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:35:50 -0400 (EDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Dan vs. Cog for the brave new world segment Dan Vs. Cog the like second official site says dan has a drum off w/ a robot but is it like an acctual robot or is it a drum machine or something it would be cool if it were a walking talking robot complete w/ the abbility to make me breakfast a play drums in a band w/ me. === Chris Tyler Check out my sites: http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/12rods http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/stadium/8282 http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gamersquad _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: <440f9a86.24bffd20@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:12:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? DKocar@aol.com writes: << actually think TMBG doesn't seem to be the type who would be heavy users of drugs. Maybe occaisonally, but I definitely don't think they'd show up at a concert stoned or drunk or anything. Then again, I never think Flans is the type to yell, "how the FUCK are ya'?" at the beginning of shows. Sigh. >> that, and Flans was drinking a beer when he signed my shirt at EndFest last summer. It was weird seeing that. when i hear his songs, i'd much sooner picture him drinking Capri Sun...or chocolate milk. -brian "rock & roll breeds hate more efficiently than marriage" -Howard Stern ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:01:29 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dan vs. Cog Message-ID: <24940-378EAE99-10388@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, from that pic posted to the list recently (or was it the NG? I'm all mixd up) it looked to me like an actual robot. All I know is that this Dan vs. Cog thing should be interesting. Oh, and my money is on Dan. Hmmm, random thought alert!: Since there's already I kinda' Dan Hickey robot, they should create John F., John L., Dan W. and Dan M. robots as well, then call them They Might Be Cogs, so that there can be a shodown between TMBG and TMBC! Or we could just continue playing Solitaire with computers. -dex ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716045529.52853.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:55:28 PDT Josh Buckland wrote: >In the actual TMBG forums, I don't mind off-topic stuff, but am a little >tired of 1) listing stuff and 2) listening to loads of >back-and-forth-really-should-be-personal-e-mail discussions between a >couple >of people." The lists are probably fun for the people who make them, but not so much for the readers. I'll say this as a person who has an odd obsession with listing stuff, but who usually only skims through, and sometimes even skips, other people's lists. Take my supposedly complete list of TMBG songs, for instance. Writing it was a labour of love, but I doubt that list members were really hoping for such a list, or that very many people actually bothered to read through it once it was posted. Fortunately, however, I only posted it once, and I probably won't do it again. If anyone wants to see it, it's up at my web site. Anyway, that's enough actual thought for one post. Time for some mindless nonsense! >Me: >"Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! >Non-TMBG: Nuh-Uh! >Non-TMBG: Uh-Huh! Non-TMBG: Wait a minute! This isn't an argument! >Non-TMBG: Can i be a pirate? >Non-TMBG: I wanna scrub the floors! >Non-TMBG: I wann clean the toilet Do pirate ships typically have toilets? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Okay, now, everybody list their ten favourite pizza toppings!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716050052.34989.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:00:52 PDT Matthew Coon wrote: >Um, why would you be annoyed by messages about TMBG and their >music? Concert accounts are one of the main reasons I have >remained on the TMBG list(s) for the last eight or nine years. I must admit that I don't usually find the concert messages all that interesting. It would probably be different if I had actually attended any of the concerts, and wanted to know what other people thought about them. As it is, it sometimes seems like I'm seeing the same review over and over again. I'm hardly annoyed by them, though; they're easy enough to delete, and occasionally contain some interesting information. (I do like to read about the Johns' between-song banter.) >What other sort of discussion would you *like* to see on a TMBG list? Discussion about the Johns' relation to Mr. Potato Head and the lost Dauphin of France, of course. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Hey! There was shredded money in the cannon!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716050321.97591.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:03:21 PDT Former Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: >You want to talk about things that are annoying, this big ol' >high-and-mighty attitude you and your "anonymous friend" are >displaying is >pretty damn annoying. This is where the party ends; I can't stand here listening to you and your anonymous friend. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "See? I'm making this TMBG-related!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716051506.80121.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Not much TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:15:05 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Recently, I think the 11th of this month, there was a TMBG concert. >And >honestly, from the discussions on this list, you wouldn't know it. I >read >this list because I'm interested in discussion of TMBG and >TMBG-related >things, *especially* concert and album/song reviews. True, one can't > >expect a >list like this, with the size it's reached (Leo, got any numbers for >me?) >to >stay "on topic" all the time. But when I download 15 new messages, >hoping >to >see a review of a concert I'm pretty sure happened at some point, and > >they're >all some inside joke between two or three people on the list, it >really >tempts >me to unsubscribe. >And from what I've seen recently, if you're looking for TMBG content, >I'm >not sure this is the right place anymore. Wanting more TMBG content and wanting less non-TMBG content are two different things. Although I really have no way of knowing, I doubt that list members think things like "Well, I COULD review that TMBG concert that I saw yesterday, but I think I'll post a message about how I want to swab the decks instead." In other words, there's still plenty of TMBG content; it's just sometimes overshadowed by the amount of non-TMBG posts. I know it's been said twenty thousand million times before, but the best way to get more TMBG-related posts is probably to start a thread yourself. I suppose this doesn't guarantee that anyone will respond to it (or that they won't respond to it with off-topic stuff), though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Well, I COULD post my dissertation on the intricacies of 'Snowball In Hell', but I think I'll just reply to a complaint post" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716052500.28552.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re:The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:24:59 PDT W Lee Steel wrote: >I couldn't agree with your statements more. I already have way more >email >that the average person needs and I subscribed to this list mainly >for >information on the Johns and sharing of interesting RELATED >stuff. I think you've touched upon an important issue with this "more e-mail than the average person needs" comment. I don't get much personal mail, so I don't mind getting a lot of stuff from the list, even if I'm just going to delete a lot of it. >Personally, I don't care how everyone on the list wears their hair, I try to part it down the middle, but I seem to be parting impaired. It's usually fairly messy. I tie it back when I'm at work, but I'm not at work very often; it's just a part-time job. >what kind of cereal they eat My mother makes an excellent mixture of oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat, yogurt, and applesauce. >or what cartoon character underwear they currently have on. Is "Towncraft" a cartoon character? >Give me Johns 24 hours a day and I'll be quiet and return to my > >semi-lurking status. Although I do enjoy many of the non-TMBG posts, I'd really like to see more TMBG-related stuff, too. There just doesn't seem to be all that much to say about Them at the moment, though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "This was a pointless post, wasn't it?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716052505.42033.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re:The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:25:05 PDT W Lee Steel wrote: >I couldn't agree with your statements more. I already have way more >email >that the average person needs and I subscribed to this list mainly >for >information on the Johns and sharing of interesting RELATED >stuff. I think you've touched upon an important issue with this "more e-mail than the average person needs" comment. I don't get much personal mail, so I don't mind getting a lot of stuff from the list, even if I'm just going to delete a lot of it. >Personally, I don't care how everyone on the list wears their hair, I try to part it down the middle, but I seem to be parting impaired. It's usually fairly messy. I tie it back when I'm at work, but I'm not at work very often; it's just a part-time job. >what kind of cereal they eat My mother makes an excellent mixture of oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat, yogurt, and applesauce. >or what cartoon character underwear they currently have on. Is "Towncraft" a cartoon character? >Give me Johns 24 hours a day and I'll be quiet and return to my > >semi-lurking status. Although I do enjoy many of the non-TMBG posts, I'd really like to see more TMBG-related stuff, too. There just doesn't seem to be all that much to say about Them at the moment, though. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "This was a pointless post, wasn't it?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716053434.82852.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:34:34 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Some Beatles fans questioned the release of some of their later work >(at >the >time) because it was such a departure from what they had done before. >TMBG >fans questioned Factory Showroom and Severe Tire Damage. This is related to another similarity (and one major reason why I like both bands): TMBG and the Beatles have both worked in a wide variety of styles. >LeNNoN has almost the same consonant pattern as LiNNeLl. Although the accent is on the other syllable. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I buried John" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716053633.82606.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG = Beatles? Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:36:33 PDT Jason Fickley wrote: >In fact, a friend of mine recently made this comment when watching >Direct >From Brooklyn for the first time: "What were these guys smoking when >they >made these videos?" They were eating rotisserie chicken. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Poochie's in the house!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716053817.75472.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Poker Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:38:17 PDT Jicholas Wolf wrote: >In any poker game, a five of a kind is the best hand you can get, >even >beating out a Royal Flush. Are wild cards allowed in regulation poker, though? You can't have five of a kind without wild cards. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Dealer bust" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716054056.31388.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Other Lists Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:40:56 PDT Claire V Gray wrote: >Past lists include the Jeff Goldblum list (much like this one but >smaller) And differing in one other incredibly minor, yet crucial respect, namely: the subject of that list is Jeff Goldblum, rather than those He Could Have Been Big people, or whatever they're called. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I need a new signature, don't I?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:43:07 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378EC66B.89584B1E@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > > >What other sort of discussion would you *like* to see on a TMBG list? > > Discussion about the Johns' relation to Mr. Potato Head and the lost Dauphin > of France, of course. > Okay, well, both TMBG and Mr. Potato Head sure don't make good music anymore. And ....um... the Johns once met Doogie Howser while guest-starring on "Life Goes On". >Wanting more TMBG content and wanting less non-TMBG content are two >different things. I'm suprised at what passes for TMBG content, half the time. I'm never suprised at what passes for NON-TMBG content though. We should just assign the twenty people who are obsessed with TMBG (every concert, every molecule of information, etc..) the post of "Offical List Poster" and never have to worry about offtopic posts again. Because, technically, aren't those the only people (the ones who are in constant observation of TMBG and TMBG related activity) who *should* be posting? Everyone else is primarily 'off-topic' in nature. "I saw them live" automatically cancels out "I've never seen them live, I wonder if they'll come here!". It would be a non-interactive list, and all would be mellow. I'm sorta serious too. i wouldn't like it, but there would be no more flamewars over relevance (all the 'purists' would be in charge), no more multiple personality posters (we KNOW who you are, some of you), and no more 900 messages complaining about the scant 400 offtopic posts. It would be a low-traffic list, only direct observers posting and all. And everyone who's ever wanted to ask a question or say something that might not be topical would be left out in the cold. someone not nathan, pulling something probably: >Since there's already I kinda' Dan >Hickey robot, they should create John F., John L., Dan W. and Dan M. >robots as well, then call them They Might Be Cogs, Here's hoping they don't. Hoping they don't. Invent those robots. Mike "Clang Clang Whoops Too Late!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716061019.49847.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: To Karen and the rest. Feeling like a bastard...Deservedly so. Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:10:18 PDT >Josh Buckland contacted me via ICQ a few weeks ago, and we have chatted >occasionally since. This is so. >with Josh. I suppose I could say "no offense intended", but intention >doesn't matter. I can only say, "I'm sorry." Christ almighty, what have I done? After reading over Carlyn's (and you thought I made her up...) opology letter along with my original letter, I have realized the full extent of what was said and done and I've one thing to say: this is the same thing that Carlyn might have said if intentions mattered. I am truley sorry, and my opologies so out extra strong to Erika (You are a cool person and you have a fine crew) and to Mike Leffel (If you haven't already figured it out, all that was said about you was that while you were away, people refered to you as being God) and even more so Karen and her daughter (Please excuse the mindless ramblings of a couple people who were just expressing their opinions). And to the rest of you who read it and the pile of useless crap that followed, sorry for taking up your time. Now, let's concentrate on something else for a second. I rescently purchased "Direct From Brooklyn", and I was wondering. Does the freaky guitar solo sequence have some hidden connection with the fact that just before the freaky animations started the were showing perscription drugs? Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716062623.30295.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:26:22 PDT > >I doubt Josh wanted to read 20 messages ripping on > >him for posting that message. > >Actually, I think that's exactly what he wanted. > > > >So, Josh, what do you want to talk about? > >Josh wants to read about people talking about Josh. > As much as hearing about yourself does make the conversationg more interestiong, I would have to say that it was more of a simple case of voicing my opinion. Why did it get so much more attention that it might have? Perhaps because you people have a disliking for me because of me (as Carlyn put) "Past Reputation", but Jesus Christ, people, if that's little incident in still floating around you heads, well then (as William Shatner put it) get a life. Try to get some reading in, go for a walk, pick up girls (or guys), visit the cinima. But no, I believe it goes deeper than that. Perhaps it's just that I voice my opinion different than you. But, nonetheless, I am an American. And though I don't know the percentage, I suspect that a good bit of you are too. And in America, you can say whatever the hell you want to say short of death threats and STILL not worry about weather or not anyone hears you. And so, I post my opinion not to read your replies, but to tell anyone who cares to listen what I think. And if you reply telling my that no one gives a shit about my opinion, that, my friends, is hypocracy. Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716063615.91404.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:36:15 PDT Mike Leffel wrote: >We should just assign the twenty people who are obsessed with TMBG >(every > concert, every molecule of information, etc..) the post of "Offical >List >Poster" and never have to worry about offtopic posts again. Because, >technically, >aren't those the only people (the ones who are in constant >observation of >TMBG and TMBG related activity) who *should* be >posting? Not really. There's more to TMBG discussion than cold, hard facts. If two people listen to _Severe Tire Damage_, or see a concert, these two people might have considerably different views on these things, and discussion could result from that. Even if we did post only TMBG-related things (which I'm not advocating), there could still be some discussion. I mean, it's all very well that They are releasing _Long Tall Weekend_, but I want to know what other people think of it, and that couldn't happen in an information-only list. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "I need to get some sleep" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:04:30 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <378ED97D.6CE9B533@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Mike Leffel wrote: > >We should just assign the twenty people who are obsessed with TMBG > >(every > > concert, every molecule of information, etc..) the post of "Offical > >List > >Poster" and never have to worry about offtopic posts again. Because, > > Not really. There's more to TMBG discussion than cold, hard facts. But obviously, there's not much more. The minute someone deems something 'offtopic' it _usually_ gets berated and subjugated. Cold hard facts and 'official' opinions, unmarred by the random posting possibilities of others, would eliminate the biweekly flamewars about relevance. > If two > people listen to _Severe Tire Damage_, or see a concert, these two people > might have considerably different views on these things, and discussion > could result from that. But that discussion might spawn something that someone would rather not have to delete or skip over. That might continue to grow, and with each new thread addition, person _x_ would get more and more irritated and eventually lash out. _group B_ would join person _X_, and go against the 'offtopic' posters. The OT posters would rebel. Wild Cards would post things that were said in private insulting others, attempt to lure attention to themselves by doing e-terrorism to the list, spammers, so on and so forth. A noninteractive list where only the people who ACTUALLY attend concerts, know whats happening, and believe they're totally on topic, would end all the possibilities of offtopic posts. And, I think that there's enough of the 'regular' TMBG watchers to be given positions immediately. > Even if we did post only TMBG-related things (which > I'm not advocating), there could still be some discussion. As long as its just the official posters, of course. Plain ol' people would NOT post. Discussions would never transform into offtopic. They would automatically be deemed topical, for the people who would complain about offtopic would be in charge. > I mean, it's all > very well that They are releasing _Long Tall Weekend_, but I want to know > what other people think of it, and that couldn't happen in an > information-only list. But why chance more offtopic posts? Perhaps I would like to say that there is not a copy in my town. Someone then would suggest ordering it from CDNOW or TMBG themselves. People would add on to that until someone mentions other things they've ordered from _x_ or _y_. People would comment on those things. "Me Too!" or "That Sucks!" or "other". And people would add their opinions to that. And that. And that. Mailboxes would be clogged. People would complain. The same circle this list has had for a loooong time. And, as I speculate, a non-interactive list would be the answer to the flamewars that overshadow even the offtopic posts. Would I like it personally? Not really, but I'm tired of the flamewars. Since it's so bad for people to go offtopic (as long as they fit certain criteria, I guess, it's not offtopic.) I think it would be a refreshing change of pace, the perfect utopian list for those who would control it. And I'm especially tired of the people who claim to hate the list continually posting to it. Especially when they go off of it, spend their time complaining about it to others, have those opinions posted, and then complain that people got offended by it. "You're a loser!" "I'm offended!" "You're offended? Get a life!" I say, in all seriousness, enact the non-interactive list. Perhaps it's better that way. Appearantly too much freedom _is_ counterproductive. Mike "America." Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199907160715.DAA67824@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716071807.90596.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:18:07 PDT >The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . >It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. > Let's all remember that...... Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:20:59 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <378EEB6B.2FB66451@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Josh Buckland wrote: > >The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . > >It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. > > > > Let's all remember that...... Thank you, GOD! How many times are you going to say the same damn thing? You start out offending a few people on the list by posting the conversation you had with Carlyn, and now you continue to post the same damn thing over and over again? OPINION IS OPINION! You're not changing anyone's by repeating yourself over such a short time period. You appear to be in "Look at me, I'm important, and not the same as I used to be!" mode. Bob "We're hypocrites for complaining about your posts, but you're perfect for complaining about most of the posts to the list?" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:46:46 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7mmqq2$2ga2$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Some TMBG: The TMBG-list >Mike Leffel wrote... > > I say, in all seriousness, enact the non-interactive list. Perhaps it's > better that way. > > Appearantly too much freedom _is_ counterproductive. okay, you want a non-interactive list Leffel. That's fine. Why don't you go make one? Dexter made an offtopic list, so a non-interactive list might be what some people need. Josh Buckland seems to want one, even though he wouldn't be able to post his private chats with people to it. I don't think, however, that tmbg-list should become non interactive. This list has outlasted many similar battles before, and long after this current tiff is over, this list will still be here. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990716093502.72461.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: TMBG-Related: A song Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 02:35:01 PDT >OPINION IS OPINION! You're not changing anyone's by repeating >yourself over such a short time period. You appear to be in "Look at me, >I'm >important, and not the same as I used to be!" mode. Okay, but first, let me get this out of my system: "The TMBG-List" By Me. "A long, long, time ago I can still remember how their Music used to help me calm And I knew if I joined that list I would gain all that I'd missed And maybe I'd be happy for awhile But then one day it all went sour TMBG, they lost their power Then came OffTopic Subjects But most of those were rejects I can't remember if I sighed when I Read about his Top Nine Lives But something irk'd me deep inside The Day My Interest Died So Bye Bye This here list that has died John and John Now they're gone And the flames have run high And all that's left are just the stars in the sky And not that many people even seem to mind Oh, not that many people even seem to mind So there we were, all on the list And lots of people, they were getting pissed It seems that I upset them all I transcribed a chat, I had with some chick That had some bad words 'bout the pirate clique And, turns out it was wrong of me And as I read through all their flames I finally saw into their rage And that's when I could see The blame fell right on me And as the flames piled high into the night To add onto my growing plight, I heared Mike Leffel laughing with delight, The day my interest died And I was singing Bye, Bye this here list that has died John and John, now they're gone And the flames have run high And all that's left are just the stars in the sky And not that many people even seem to mind Oh, not that many people even seem to mind But one day soon, it'll be good again Their new album will set us in A thred of new OnTopic posts I'll go to the sacred store Where I'd bought their music Times before And the man there, He'll unknowingly Make my day And in the street, I'll jump with joy I'll wave to every girl and boy I think I'll prob'ly love it There'll be no other above it And the two men I admire most Linnell and Flansburgh (from Space Ghost) They'll still be the band with the most Even after My interest Died But NOW I'm singing Bye, Bye this here list that has died John and John, now they're gone And the flames have run high And all that's left are just the stars in the sky And not that many people even seem to mind Oh, not that many people even seem to mind Oh, Bye, Bye this here list that has died John and John, now they're gone And the flames have run high And all that's left are just the stars in the sky And not that many people even seem to mind" Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907161326.JAA06185@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Poker Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:26:18 -0400 (EDT) > Jicholas Wolf wrote: > >In any poker game, a five of a kind is the best hand you can get, >even > >beating out a Royal Flush. > > Are wild cards allowed in regulation poker, though? You can't have five of > a kind without wild cards. > I would say that were you in a real poker venue, such as Vegas or Atlantic City, it is possible to get 5 aces based on the fact that they use more than one deck of cards. But since Wild Cards are not used there (except maybe in a game of Pai Gow) then that 5 aces would only count as 4 aces. Thus, straight or royal flushes would beat them out. I'm pretty sure about this, but not completely positive. -Matt ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-18 ******************************