Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 20 Tuesday, 20 July 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: free show tickets Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums TMBG: Lycos Problem Re: TMBG: TMBG-LIST: other lists i've experienced... Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut TMBG: Off Topic Posts and Extra Tickets Re: TMBG: Off Topic Posts and Extra Tickets TMBG: central park concert pics and new webpage Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums TMBG: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) TMBG: a token back to..LTW? TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) Re: TMBG: a token back to..LTW? TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums TMBG: Opening Tracks TMBG: " The Deeper Hidden Meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth" Re: TMBG: " The Deeper Hidden Meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth" TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Chat & Broadcast -- can I get a copy? TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] Re: TMBG: Opening Tracks TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] (none) TMBG: TMBG Video Game TMBG: LTW is OUT! Re: TMBG: LTW is OUT! TMBG: LTW problems TMBG: Listees in the chat Re: TMBG: LTW problems Re: TMBG: Listees in the chat TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? Re: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? TMBG: Anyone gonna save the show? Re: TMBG: Listees in the chat Re: TMBG: Anyone gonna save the show? Re: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? TMBG: Streaming Madness Re: TMBG: Streaming Madness TMBG: Piracy TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990217202305.009a5590@idt.net> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:23:05 -0500 From: Michael Hooker Subject: TMBG: free show tickets hi, i have 2 extra tickets for monday nites show that i dont think i'm going to use . if you can use them, let me know. its not for sure, i'm waiting on someone to make up their mind, but most likely they wont go. have fun, Mike Hooker ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:34:35 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Message-id: <37912F2A.4D1CE4F1@wmich.edu> > Okay. Since so many people have been begging for more TMBG content, here > are a few band-related thoughts that I've had recently: > > Does anyone else think that the recent albums just haven't worked all that > well as albums? Actually, I have been pondering this myself, recently. Mostly about Factory Showroom and how it just doesn't seem to 'fit' as a TMBG album. It doesn't really stand out in any way. Sometimes I even forget it exists... I like the songs on it... but I rarely think to listen to it.... I never 'crave' it as I do every other album. I think that somehow it is lacking in TMBGish ness... if that makes sense. All the songs kind of sound the same, maybe their too 'LIGHT' like they're all in a different key than their previous work or something (if I had time, I'd research this theory...) > > Also, it seems that _Severe Tire Damage_ tried to be too many things at > once. It's a live album, a greatest hits album, and a showcase of songs > that have changed from the original album versions, with some new songs > thrown in. It doesn't totally succeed at being any of these things, and > this leads to disappointment no matter what you want from the album. Actually, I think this is what I like about STD. It's more than you're typical live album. And it's not a studio album... and it has most of my favourite songs on it... It's so diverse that I can't help but love it. ~Sarah...... why do I get the feeling that I'm invisible? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:49:40 -0400 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Lycos Problem Message-ID: <19990717214940.A41699@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets The Lycos problem I sent out mail about before has finnally been addressed. I talked with several people at Lycos today, and although it took me a while to get to them, once I did they were quite helpful. The ftp site will probably remain down until midday tomorrow, to make sure all the caches clear out. Also, there's no need to e-mail them anymore. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 23:34:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-LIST: other lists i've experienced... In a message dated 7/17/99 7:44:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: << i can honestly say that i love many of the listies here, and i am thoroughly convinced that the structure and culture of the list are what let me get to know you guys enough for that. --jim kuemmerle, who probably should've just sent flowers instead, huh? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ >> Thank you, Jim, for putting so eloquently what I've been wracking my brain to say ever since this debacle started. In just the short amount of time I've been on this list, I've come to think of you all as my good friends (I do have friends outside the home, but they don't live right next door), and dare I say it, an extension of my family. I do already have a wonderful family of my own -- I cherish every day I get to spend with them. That part that Carlynn wrote about me seeming sad and lonely -- I am sometimes, because I've had to bear the loss of my only sibling as well as my best friend. But I have to tell you that you people have helped me to cope with all of that in more ways than you might realize, so I thank you. I really only type out a lot of details because I want you all to get to know me and mine better, or maybe feel things in much the same way I do. Sending all those lists, and asking all those questions helps me to get to know all of you better. I have to admit, it was a bit shocking for me to see that a few people really didn't care for my attempts at sharing myself. I have chalked it up to "you can't please everybody," and left it go at that. But please know that I never mean to bother any of you with it. To make it up to you, I invite each and every one of you to come over to my house for coffee. I live in Linden, NJ. If you want to come by my house to just say "hi," I'll be more than happy to meet you. When I joined the Info Club, I told the Johns via e-mail they were welcome to come over for coffee any time they wanted...they haven't stopped by yet, but if they do, I will make Flans my version of French toast, which is a bit different than his :-) Anyone interested in the above invite can e-mail me anytime, and I'll give you directions. Yours still, Karen :-) ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:31:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut > I've noticed that we have quite a few fans out there, so I hope that no > one will get mad if I take five seconds to tell you all to go see Eyes > Wide Shut. Don't belive anything you read. It seem that all the trailers > and interviews are almost purposefully missleading. In actuality, the > film is MUCH better. See it before someone tells you what it's about. I saw it today! As soon as it ended a whole bunch of people said stuff like "finally!" and "I'm never seeing this again!" and lots of other people just groaned. This was the second Kubrick film I've ever seen; the first was Clockwork Orange. Personally, I thought it was great. I really, really liked it. I won't give anything away, but I'll say that it wasn't at all what I expected; I do think they made it that way on purpose. Also, I really wish that some scenes weren't cut, I mean Stanley wanted them there for a reason. Anyway it was great (I think) and it was quite thought provoking to boot. > John "The Third John" Landis Beth ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: TMBG: Off Topic Posts and Extra Tickets Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:48:55 -0700 Message-ID: For Example.......................this post is the EXACT type if post I subsctibed to the list to read. I have two extra tickets but have no idea how you would get them from me by tomorrow night unless you are in Connecticut. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Lawrence P Solomon Sent: Saturday, July 17, 1999 11:09 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Does anyone else think that the recent albums just haven't worked all that > well as albums? I mean, they have some good songs on them (although not > quite as many as on the earlier albums), but the approach of such works as > _Factory Showroom_ and _Severe Tire Damage_ seems to be less "Let's put our > songs together into a full-sounding album," and more "Hey! We wrote some > songs! Let's put 'em on this record in any old order!" This is a bit > exaggerated; these records do have some sense of order, but nowhere near as > much as earlier albums did. (Besides, "S-E-X-X-Y" doesn't really work as a > lead song, but I'll have more on that in a later post.) I think Factory Showroom is a good example of some of Linnell's best work, and some of Flansburgh's worst. I mean, I'm not saying that Flansburgh's songs are necessarily *bad*, but that they just don't live up to the They Might Be Giants standard. John Henry, which came out two years before Factory Showroom, is a very strong, cohesive album. Subliminal is a great starter, and End of the Tour an almost automatic closer. The songs also seem to fit together. The kind of dark, cynical attitude is present in most of them. Factory Showroom isn't cohesive, but rather most of the same style. They had 23 songs to choose from (FS + Sensurround, Certain People, Reprehensible, Older, Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Counterfeit Faker, They Got Lost, Token Back to Brooklyn, and Dark and Metric) and left out 10. Most bands don't record 10 more songs than they plan on putting on an album, unless they're planning on putting out a lot of EPs. I can understand why Rat Patrol, On the Drag, and Sensurround got cut - too similar to the rest of the material. And They Got Lost has always been sort of a novelty song, because there's no way to really take a song like that seriously. But why not Certain People and Reprehensible? To either extend the album or replace a couple of the weaker tracks. I'd much rather hear Reprehensible than How Can I Sing Like a Girl... Certain People might fit in well between Exquisite Dead Guy and Metal Detector... Do we know yet whether the songs from that list that are appearing on LTW have been rerecorded, or if we're just getting the Factory Sessions versions? And what happened to On the Drag, which is conspicuously absent from LTW? > Also, it seems that _Severe Tire Damage_ tried to be too many things at > once. It's a live album, a greatest hits album, and a showcase of songs > that have changed from the original album versions, with some new songs > thrown in. It doesn't totally succeed at being any of these things, and > this leads to disappointment no matter what you want from the album. If you > want a more "conventional" live album, you'll be disappointed that there are > so many studio tracks, and that the live tracks don't really reflect the > feel of a TMBG concert. Someone who wants greatest hits would be > disappointed that relative hits such as "Don't Let's Start" and "The Statue > Got Me High" weren't on it (yes, I know They wanted to include "Don't Let's > Start," but the fact remains that isn't on there), and that so many > relatively unknown songs are. I think it works best as a showcase of > changed songs, but, even in that respect, it fails somewhat because of > tracks that sound too much like the original album versions (such as > "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Till My Head Falls Off"). If you want new > songs, you'll be disappointed to find that most of the album is made up of > old stuff. I think the biggest disappointment for me is that this was the only release of First Kiss. I wouldn't have cared if they'd included it with the studio tracks, but a live version as an initial release? The other major problem with it as a live album is that it's not a reflection of what their live show was like up to the release of the album. They didn't start playing She's an Angel again until after it was released, and XTC vs. Adam Ant was mostly retired by the time Hal Cragin showed up on bass (10/97). The best way to make such an album is to make setlists based on what they want on the album - instead of just recording *one* Mercury Lounge show (12/18/97), they should have recorded *all* of them. Determine the songs on the album first, and play them at all 7 of those shows, while varying the rest of the set so the audience doesn't get bored with the same 16 or 17 songs. And they should have saved Dr. Worm and First Kiss for their next studio album, making STD a fully live CD (and also getting rid of those damn bootleg tracks - another advantage to taping all the Mercury Lounge shows professionally) For Live Noise, Moxy Fruvous recorded I think 6 or 7 shows. (not including the MIT and Providence shows, which were both from bootlegs) As a result, they were able to get the best versions of all the songs they wanted to include. And I'd not be surprised if they had determined the contents of the album before writing their setlists for those shows. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004401bed12c$182819c0$5a3a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: Off Topic Posts and Extra Tickets Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:44:50 -0400 I live in CT! I need tickets!! -Sarah -----Original Message----- From: Lee Steel To: Lawrence P Solomon ; tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sunday, July 18, 1999 9:51 AM Subject: TMBG: Off Topic Posts and Extra Tickets For Example.......................this post is the EXACT type if post I subsctibed to the list to read. I have two extra tickets but have no idea how you would get them from me by tomorrow night unless you are in Connecticut. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Lawrence P Solomon Sent: Saturday, July 17, 1999 11:09 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Does anyone else think that the recent albums just haven't worked all that > well as albums? I mean, they have some good songs on them (although not > quite as many as on the earlier albums), but the approach of such works as > _Factory Showroom_ and _Severe Tire Damage_ seems to be less "Let's put our > songs together into a full-sounding album," and more "Hey! We wrote some > songs! Let's put 'em on this record in any old order!" This is a bit > exaggerated; these records do have some sense of order, but nowhere near as > much as earlier albums did. (Besides, "S-E-X-X-Y" doesn't really work as a > lead song, but I'll have more on that in a later post.) I think Factory Showroom is a good example of some of Linnell's best work, and some of Flansburgh's worst. I mean, I'm not saying that Flansburgh's songs are necessarily *bad*, but that they just don't live up to the They Might Be Giants standard. John Henry, which came out two years before Factory Showroom, is a very strong, cohesive album. Subliminal is a great starter, and End of the Tour an almost automatic closer. The songs also seem to fit together. The kind of dark, cynical attitude is present in most of them. Factory Showroom isn't cohesive, but rather most of the same style. They had 23 songs to choose from (FS + Sensurround, Certain People, Reprehensible, Older, Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Counterfeit Faker, They Got Lost, Token Back to Brooklyn, and Dark and Metric) and left out 10. Most bands don't record 10 more songs than they plan on putting on an album, unless they're planning on putting out a lot of EPs. I can understand why Rat Patrol, On the Drag, and Sensurround got cut - too similar to the rest of the material. And They Got Lost has always been sort of a novelty song, because there's no way to really take a song like that seriously. But why not Certain People and Reprehensible? To either extend the album or replace a couple of the weaker tracks. I'd much rather hear Reprehensible than How Can I Sing Like a Girl... Certain People might fit in well between Exquisite Dead Guy and Metal Detector... Do we know yet whether the songs from that list that are appearing on LTW have been rerecorded, or if we're just getting the Factory Sessions versions? And what happened to On the Drag, which is conspicuously absent from LTW? > Also, it seems that _Severe Tire Damage_ tried to be too many things at > once. It's a live album, a greatest hits album, and a showcase of songs > that have changed from the original album versions, with some new songs > thrown in. It doesn't totally succeed at being any of these things, and > this leads to disappointment no matter what you want from the album. If you > want a more "conventional" live album, you'll be disappointed that there are > so many studio tracks, and that the live tracks don't really reflect the > feel of a TMBG concert. Someone who wants greatest hits would be > disappointed that relative hits such as "Don't Let's Start" and "The Statue > Got Me High" weren't on it (yes, I know They wanted to include "Don't Let's > Start," but the fact remains that isn't on there), and that so many > relatively unknown songs are. I think it works best as a showcase of > changed songs, but, even in that respect, it fails somewhat because of > tracks that sound too much like the original album versions (such as > "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Till My Head Falls Off"). If you want new > songs, you'll be disappointed to find that most of the album is made up of > old stuff. I think the biggest disappointment for me is that this was the only release of First Kiss. I wouldn't have cared if they'd included it with the studio tracks, but a live version as an initial release? The other major problem with it as a live album is that it's not a reflection of what their live show was like up to the release of the album. They didn't start playing She's an Angel again until after it was released, and XTC vs. Adam Ant was mostly retired by the time Hal Cragin showed up on bass (10/97). The best way to make such an album is to make setlists based on what they want on the album - instead of just recording *one* Mercury Lounge show (12/18/97), they should have recorded *all* of them. Determine the songs on the album first, and play them at all 7 of those shows, while varying the rest of the set so the audience doesn't get bored with the same 16 or 17 songs. And they should have saved Dr. Worm and First Kiss for their next studio album, making STD a fully live CD (and also getting rid of those damn bootleg tracks - another advantage to taping all the Mercury Lounge shows professionally) For Live Noise, Moxy Fruvous recorded I think 6 or 7 shows. (not including the MIT and Providence shows, which were both from bootlegs) As a result, they were able to get the best versions of all the songs they wanted to include. And I'd not be surprised if they had determined the contents of the album before writing their setlists for those shows. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <2d12e36f.24c37d0d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:55:09 EDT Subject: TMBG: central park concert pics and new webpage Does anyone have any pictures from the 6/20/99 show in central park that they could email me? I would really appreciate it. Also--I made a webpage last week (http://drwormx.webjump.com) and I think it looks pretty good. The music section is not up yet, but there is a links, bootlegs, and a picture section (soon to be added to after tomorrow's concert). If you have pictures, email me personally, because I'm not on the list. Matt--Blame it on Pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointment." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:56:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Message-ID: On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Sarah wrote: > Actually, I think this is what I like about STD. It's more than you're typical > live album. And it's not a studio album... and it has most of my favourite songs > on it... It's so diverse that I can't help but love it. I have to agree with Sarah here. I like it because it's got new stuff, and new takes on the old classics. I was thrilled with the new version of "She's Actual Size" (turns a good song into a great song, IMO) as well as the modified versions of "Particle Man" and "Istanbul." There were some weak spots; for example, I didn't think the version of "Ana Ng" they chose to put on the album was really especially good. And, like many others, I wish there was a studio version of "First Kiss" out there, because I really love that song. But overall, this is one of my favorite albums to grab if I just want some "greatest hits." Kirsten "I've got the funk in my trousers for sure!" - Space Ghost ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:33:40 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7mtk0a$3qe$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) Brandon Deadmonkey ( deadmnky@tmbg.org ) on the tmbg.org message board had sent an e-mail to the nice people over at Nightline asking them how they hooked up with the Johns. He finally got a reply today, and posted it to the board. Here it is, and apparently this guy thinks his name is Tom: Hi Tom -- Sorry it took so long for someone to get back to you. I'm a producer at Nightline working on the "Brave New World" series with the correspondent Robert Krulwich. Here's the back story on our collaboration with TMBG: Robert heard the Johns on Ira Glass's "This American Life" show on NPR doing "You're Older." We were looking for some songwriter/performers to work with since we're using performers throughout the shows to work variations on the themes of the series. Robert thought that "You're Older" would work for a show we're doing on how our subjective sense of time is being velocitized by technology. I was a fan from way back ... so we called 'em up. We hit it off and agreed that they would write five songs for the series and that Flansburgh would direct music videos that we could tailor for the series. It's worked out amazingly well. TMBG has written four original songs for us: one for our "Man & Machine" show that tells the story of a drumming duel between Dan Hickey, the band's drummer and a famous robot named Cog at MIT's Artificial Intelligence Lab; another uses a singing microbe to tell the story of a human cold germ that survived for three years on the surface of the moon (this is for a show we're doing on the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe ...); a third song, "King Weed" is for a show that looks at the possibiltiy of a looming "sixth extinction" in which Man and some other hearty, weed-like creatures (roaches; worms etc.) survive a global dying off of most life forms; and a yet-to-be-written ditty on String Theory, the exotic branch of modern physics that promises the long-sought "Theory of Everything." The Johns have also written some amazing theme music that will open all 8 shows. The series runs for 8 Thursdays, from July 29th to September 16th. I hope that covers it for you. Thanks for e-mailing ... Best, Peter Demchuk ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: <11fef644.24c3b3c0@aol.com> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:48:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: a token back to..LTW? since there's a little discussion about FS/ STD: Has anyone besides me wondered why "A Token Back to Brooklyn" is going to be on Long Tall Weekend, when it's already on Factory Showroom? Is it a different version, at least? Or, was this already discussed awhile back.... -brian. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:01:18 +0100 From: simon Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) In article <7mtk0a$3qe$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." writes >Brandon Deadmonkey ( deadmnky@tmbg.org ) on the >tmbg.org message board had sent an e-mail to the nice >people over at Nightline asking them how they hooked >up with the Johns. He finally got a reply today, and >posted it to the board. Here it is, and apparently this >guy thinks his name is Tom: > >Hi Tom -- >Sorry it took so long for someone to get back to you. >I'm a producer at Nightline working on the "Brave New World" > series with the correspondent Robert Krulwich. Here's > the back story on our collaboration with TMBG: Robert >heard the Johns on Ira Glass's "This American Life" >show on NPR doing "You're Older." We were looking >for some songwriter/performers to work with since we're >using performers throughout the shows to work variations >on the themes of the series. Robert thought that "You're Older" >would work for a show we're doing on how our subjective >sense of time is being velocitized by technology. I was a >fan from way back ... so we called 'em up. We hit it off and >agreed that they would write five songs for the series and >that Flansburgh would direct music videos that we could > tailor for the series. > >It's worked out amazingly well. TMBG has written four >original songs for us: one for our "Man & Machine" show >that tells the story of a drumming duel between Dan Hickey, >the band's drummer and a famous robot named Cog at >MIT's Artificial Intelligence Lab; another uses a singing >microbe to tell the story of a human cold germ that survived >for three years on the surface of the moon (this is for a show >we're doing on the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe ...); >a third song, "King Weed" is for a show that looks at the >possibiltiy of a looming "sixth extinction" in which Man >and some other hearty, weed-like creatures (roaches; >worms etc.) survive a global dying off of most life forms; >and a yet-to-be-written ditty on String Theory, the exotic > branch of modern physics that promises the long-sought > "Theory of Everything." The Johns have also written some > amazing theme music that will open all 8 shows. > >The series runs for 8 Thursdays, from July 29th to September 16th. > Someone tell me they will be mp3-ing it for us? -- simon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:10:30 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7mu47i$es8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: a token back to..LTW? wrote in message news:11fef644.24c3b3c0@aol.com... > since there's a little discussion about FS/ STD: > > Has anyone besides me wondered why "A Token Back to Brooklyn" is going to > be on Long Tall Weekend, when it's already on Factory Showroom? Is it a > different version, at least? Or, was this already discussed awhile back.... It's the same version, at least from the clip I've heard at http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdgilles/LTWclips.html My guess is they decided that since it was a hidden track, and that some people got FS tapes, a non-US pressing of the CD w/out it on it, or CD players that refuse to play it, that it wouldn't hurt to add it to the mp3 album so that these people could hear it as well. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:14:44 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7mu4f7$f5i$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) simon wrote in message news:r1DXbpA+ylk3EwSF@wezland.demon.co.uk... > In article <7mtk0a$3qe$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org>, "Jay G." > writes > >Brandon Deadmonkey ( deadmnky@tmbg.org ) wrote > > > >The series runs for 8 Thursdays, from July 29th to September 16th. > > > Someone tell me they will be mp3-ing it for us? Well, I'm sure a lot of us will be video taping these episodes, and it wouldn't be too hard to make mp3s of the songs. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719041810.75380.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:18:09 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >John Henry, which came out two years before Factory >Showroom, is a very strong, cohesive album. Subliminal is a great > >starter, and End of the Tour an almost automatic closer. I've had some thoughts on openers and closers recently, but I think I'll save them for another post. >Most bands don't record 10 more songs than they plan on putting on an > >album, unless they're planning on putting out a lot of EPs. It does seem to be an odd decision on the Johns' part. Studio time costs money, so booking time to record songs that you aren't going to release isn't that smart of a financial move. And if the money doesn't matter, and the music is what's important, it would make sense to release as much music as possible. >Do we know yet whether the songs from that list that are appearing on >LTW >have >been rerecorded, or if we're just getting the Factory Sessions >versions? They sound like the same versions to me. >And what happened to On the Drag, which is conspicuously absent from >LTW? This song just seems to keep getting rejected. First, it was left off of _Factory Showroom_. I've heard that the Johns were planning on putting it on _Severe Tire Damage_, but the producer recommended against it. I think I read something about the songs being re-recorded for the next studio album, though, so we might finally be able to hear an "official" version of this one. >The other major problem >with it as a live album is that it's not a reflection of what their >live >show was like up to the release of the album. This is a complaint that I've seen several times, and I hinted at it in my own comments. From comments that the Johns have made in interviews, though, it doesn't seem like They wanted to make an album that reflected Their live show. I don't entirely blame Them, either; live shows often don't "translate" to album format that well. >The best way to >make such an album is to make setlists based on what they want on the > >album - >instead of just recording *one* Mercury Lounge show (12/18/97), they > >should have recorded *all* of them. I agree with this. If the Johns wanted to use songs from multiple concerts, They should have given Themselves more concert recordings from which to choose. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Only happy when I'm sad" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719042412.7507.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:24:10 PDT Sarah wrote: > > Also, it seems that _Severe Tire Damage_ tried to be too many > > things >at > > once. It's a live album, a greatest hits album, and a showcase of > > >songs > > that have changed from the original album versions, with some new > > >songs > > thrown in. It doesn't totally succeed at being any of these > > >things, and > > this leads to disappointment no matter what you want from the > > album. > >Actually, I think this is what I like about STD. It's more than >you're >typical >live album. And it's not a studio album... and it has most of my >favourite >songs >on it... It's so diverse that I can't help but love it. The diversity was good in some ways. The angle that I wish They'd have stayed away from on this album is the "greatest hits" one. If I want to hear "Birdhouse In Your Soul," I can always listen to _Flood_. I don't need a practically identical version that just happened to be recorded live. When the songs were significantly changed from their original versions ("Particle Man," "Istanbul," "She's Actual Size," "Meet James Ensor"), their re-release on this album made sense. I don't really think that songs that remained largely unchanged should have been on _Severe Tire Damage_. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "And why was 'XTC Vs. Adam Ant' on there at all?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <3a13cb44.24c404c8@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:34:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums My one and only complaint with STD is the inclusion of the Live in NY tracks. Yes, I know they changed them a bit, but the changes were pretty negligible, except for the intro to "She's An Angel." I know a lot of people don't have Live in NY or the six songs from it that were on the John Henry import sampler, but, c'mon, most of us diehards do have it (in my case, I have both a taped copy of LiNY *and* the sampler). And as someone else mentioned, that version of "Ana Ng" isn't the greatest live version of it. I actually skipped recording the three LiNY tracks when I taped STD to listen to in the car. Other than that, tho, I love it, even the Ape tracks :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719053432.67375.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG Albums Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:34:32 PDT Kaylum wrote: >My one and only complaint with STD is the inclusion of the Live in NY > >tracks. > Yes, I know they changed them a bit, but the changes were pretty > >negligible, except for the intro to "She's An Angel." Except for that one, I'd say that most of the changes were for the worse. I mean, there's no "Like now," and no "The sound of the drums! I hear the drums!" -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "It's a small girl after all" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719060023.33075.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: Opening Tracks Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:00:21 PDT Okay. I said that I'd save my thoughts about opening tracks for another message, and this is that other message. I'm still not addressing closing tracks, though. Maybe later. There seem to be two typical ways to start an album. The first is to start with a track that makes a good "opener." This can be an opening theme, or just a song that works as a beginning. The other is to use a hit (usually a song that is also released as a single) as the leading track. Sometimes, an opening track will be both of these things, as we shall see with some of TMBG's openers. What do I, personally, think makes a good opening track? I'm glad you asked. (Okay, so you didn't ask. I'll tell you anyway.) I tend to prefer the first kind of opener. Some "hit" songs, which might work by themselves as singles, don't really work as opening tracks for albums. I think that an opening track should set the mood for the album, and prepare the listener for the rest of the songs. Usually, a fairly short song is good for the position. This doesn't mean it has to be really, really short (although that sometimes works, like it did on _Flood_), but really long songs are usually better saved until the end of the album, or somewhere in that vicinity. Instrumental openings can also help leading tracks, although they're not always necessary. How do TMBG's opening tracks rate? Well, the first two albums both start out quite well, with single tracks that also work as openers. "Ana Ng" does have a bit of trouble ending, but it would have that trouble anywhere on the album. Otherwise, it's an excellent song, and it really gets the listener ready for a treat. _Flood_, _Apollo 18_, and _John Henry_ all use the opening theme idea, but in different ways. _Flood_'s opener is actually called "Theme From Flood," and it introduces the album nicely. "Dig My Grave" isn't exactly a theme for the album, and it doesn't really provide the tone for the rest of the songs, but it's a short song that catches the listener's attention. "Subliminal" is more of a song in its own right, rather than simply an opening theme, but it really seems designed to be an opening track, what with the instrumental beginning. In all three cases, a single track is the second song on the album. You're introduced to the album, and then you hear what is arguably the main song. I think _Factory Showroom_ would probably win the prize for worst opener. Despite the cool (I'm really reaching for descriptions hear, aren't I? Oh, well. What can you expect at 2 AM?) spoken introduction, "S-E-X-X-Y" doesn't really work as an opening track, mostly because it's too long. Although it's not really a bad song, I often find myself waiting for it to end, so that I can get into the "main" part of the album. I think that the album should have started with something more upbeat and attention-catching (possibly "Till My Head Falls Off"), and saved "S-E-X-X-Y" for later (as They did on _Severe Tire Damage_). _Severe Tire Damage_, like _Factory Showroom_, uses the main (and only) single from the album as the leading track. Fortunately, "Doctor Worm" is a good opener. It does seem a bit odd to use a studio track to start a primarily live album, but I don't think that any of the live tracks on this one would have been very good choices for opening songs. I heard that They were originally planning on using "They Got Lost" as the opening track, and I'm glad that They didn't go through with this. Incidentally, _Long Tall Weekend_ looks like it's returning to the opening theme concept. Of course, there probably aren't going to be any single tracks on this one. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Dressed only in clothes" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3792E555.B9D638FE@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:44:08 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: " The Deeper Hidden Meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth" DKocar@aol.com wrote: >So, Josh, what do you want to talk about? The >deeper hidden meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth? That actually sounds cool to me. I've been meaning to say something precisely about that for a long time. Maybe you were just kidding about it having "deeper hidden meanings" but I believe it does. I'm really surprised that no one here has figured it out. (Or have they?) Over at TMBG.org, in the "Interpretations" section there are some attempts at explaining the song. Those interps are not incorrect but they are missing the key that explains the song as a whole. Now the bad news, I can't reveal my findings today because I need to research a couple more things. I want to be able to back my claims. So give me a week and then I'll present my theory. In the meantime, if any of you think you know what I'm talking about, please feel free in beating me to the punch. If it turns out that we both arrived at the same conclusion, I'll feel even more certain it's true. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719085034.29814.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "something else other" Subject: Re: TMBG: " The Deeper Hidden Meanings of a Shoehorn with Teeth" Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:50:33 GMT > I've been meaning to say something precisely about that for a long >time. Maybe you >were just kidding about it having "deeper hidden meanings" but I believe >it does. Personally, I do feel there is a deep meaning to the fast version of the song. Linny usually sings, "really really fast, cuz it's really really fast, he wants a shoe horn, the kind with teeth, cuz he knows there's no such thing". Really really fast is just shoring how fast the song is, you say. Well, it's wrong. I think Linny is just going insane. That is the special message. -Samantha so sue me, it's 4:00am right now. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:31:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Chat & Broadcast -- can I get a copy? Message-ID: I'm one of the lucky few who don't have internet access from home. Is anyone out there willing to save a copy of tonight's web chat and concert for me? I'd really appreciate it, and you'll probably get a nice, warm, happy feeling out of it too. Or, if that isn't your cup of tea, you could save everything from tonight's festivities, throw together a page, and then give me a URL. Any takers? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:29:44 -0500 From: Kevin Jones Message-ID: Organization: University of Illinois at Chicago Subject: TMBG: Re: Nightline and TMBG (this post is so on-topic that it hurts!) Wait a second....I won't be at a vcr until mid August! Does anyone know if the Brave New World specials will be rerun? Kevin Jones ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:10:30 -0400 From: jromanski@discmakers.com (John) Message-ID: Organization: Temple University Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] In article <37805C4E.9BC475C4@tig.com.au>, Squatter John wrote: > On the subject of The Simpsons (and in a vain attempt to bring this thread > on topic for the benefit of the die-hards), on Sunday night's episode down > Of course, this episode was made a couple of years before the TMBG > album/tour of the same name was even conceived, but Matt Groening (who still > writes and animates each episode by hand) can see the future. Matt Groening does not write or illustrate any of the Simpsons episodes anymore. He has final signoff on the scripts and is listed in the credits as consultant and creator. As for animating, they use like 300 people from Korea, again, watch the credits. John Romanski ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:18:09 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Opening Tracks Message-id: <379341B0.6832B6FC@wmich.edu> > I think _Factory Showroom_ would probably win the prize for worst opener. > Despite the cool (I'm really reaching for descriptions hear, aren't I? Oh, > well. What can you expect at 2 AM?) spoken introduction, "S-E-X-X-Y" > doesn't really work as an opening track, mostly because it's too long. > Although it's not really a bad song, I often find myself waiting for it to > end, so that I can get into the "main" part of the album. I think that the > album should have started with something more upbeat and attention-catching > (possibly "Till My Head Falls Off"), and saved "S-E-X-X-Y" for later (as > They did on _Severe Tire Damage_). > Indeed, "S~E~X~X~Y" is not a good start to the album.... but "Token Back to Brooklyn" is. It leads into "S~E~X~X~Y" very nicely, and I never listen to FS anymore without rewinding to "Token..." first... > _Severe Tire Damage_, like _Factory Showroom_, uses the main (and only) > single from the album as the leading track. Fortunately, "Doctor Worm" is a > good opener. It does seem a bit odd to use a studio track to start a > primarily live album, but I don't think that any of the live tracks on this > one would have been very good choices for opening songs. I heard that They > were originally planning on using "They Got Lost" as the opening track, and > I'm glad that They didn't go through with this. > I always thought they should've used the "Sever Tire Damage Theme" to start STD It just seems that "Dr. Worm" would follow naturally after the "STD Theme" When I made a mix tape for one of my friends, I recorded the Theme first, then "Dr. Worm:" and it works very well. It seems that I too like the Opening Theme Idea better than just a plain old song starting things off (Although Ana Ng is the ideal opener for Lincoln.... as is Subliminal for JH) I think these songs work so well because the intro's to the songs themselves work very well. They grab your attention "Hey listen to me..." and then continue with the rest of the song. And then you just have to hear the rest of the album. ~Sarah, who's listening to STD this very minute! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:55:10 -0500 From: "Joey Odorisio" Message-ID: <7mvhsp$3r5o$1@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com> Organization: Prodigy Internet http://www.prodigy.com Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] > > Of course, this episode was made a couple of years before the TMBG > > album/tour of the same name was even conceived, but Matt Groening (who still > > writes and animates each episode by hand) can see the future. > Matt Groening does not write or illustrate any of the Simpsons episodes anymore. > He has final signoff on the scripts and is listed in the credits as > consultant and creator. > > As for animating, they use like 300 people from Korea, again, watch the credits. No, no, no...he`s just referencing the "anniversary" episode where Matt Groening is portrayed as a crazy old man. -- JOEY ODORISIO Spiraling_Shape@prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/spiraling_shape/ "For best lucky wash, use Mr. Sparkle." ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:06:09 -0400 I have a bunch of pictures from the Father's Day concert in Central Park. Send me your e-mail addresses and later this week I will scan all of them and send them out to the group all at the same time. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990719191255.42151.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Game Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:12:55 PDT Wasn't there a thread about what a TMBG video game would be like some time back? I was thinking about this very subject today, due to the fact that my brother was playing video games, and it occurred to me that life is just a mood--I mean, the sense of frustration that transcends much of the Johns' work wouldn't fit in too well with the "try to win" mentality that goes into video games. Just think of some of the stages that could be found in a TMBG game: Your character drops the token back to Brooklyn into a street grate, and has to try to get home again. He (or she) never can, though. You play Particle Man, who fights Triangle Man. You always lose. You follow an angel, and end up throwing your body off a building. You swim the misty sea, and end up really, really, really sad. You look at a statue, and your head explodes. I know there already are video games that you can't really win (like "Pac-Man" and "Tetris"), but a game that uses the frustration of TMBG songs might not be a bad idea. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "We're just watching it sinking" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Then, Disc 1 _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:02:40 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <3793845E.2A8BA30C@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: LTW is OUT! I just finished downloading LTW! It is now out and for purchase at emusic.com Peter (currently buring a mixed mode cd w/ cd audio tracks and mp3s on the data partition) ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <4a7322ae.24c4f7a4@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:50:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: LTW is OUT! Has anyone who has a 28.8 modem tried to download LTW yet? How long does it take? Diana ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907192254.SAA38350@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:54:20 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: LTW problems Is anyone else getting "Access Denied" when downloading certain tracks from LTW? So far, I haven't been able to download Token or Operators... --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907200101.VAA37504@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:02:03 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Listees in the chat Did any other listees have a question answered by one of the Johns during the chat? Here's mine: jdf179: On the Drag wasn't included in LTW. Do you plan on releasing it eventually? Flans: We just recorded a killer version of it, and it will be on our next release. We did it in Brooklyn, in a very tiny studio. It's highly rockin. The band sounds great. I can't wait... --Jason-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:49:08 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: LTW problems Message-ID: <19990719.214910.-348167.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker I downloaded it just fine... sounds like the server is just busy. The album is very good by the way... i was very impressed! On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:54:20 -0400 Jason Fickley writes: >Is anyone else getting "Access Denied" when downloading certain tracks >from >LTW? So far, I haven't been able to download Token or Operators... > >--Jason-- > That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <8ef42b33.24c52c56@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:35:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Listees in the chat In a message dated 7/19/99 6:02:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jdf179@psu.edu writes: > Did any other listees have a question answered by one of the Johns during > the chat? > rrrrrrrrrrr! I'm so FRUSTRATED! I was here! I logged on to AOL, got to the site, signed up with Yahoo 15 minutes before the CHAT began and started to log into the room when it happened. AOL froze! ugh! by the time I got back my computer to shut down and reload and eventually get back onto AOL it was almost over. rrrrrrrrrrrr, stupid AOL. I have never had problems like that before.....ever. *sigh* so, was anyone able to copy the chat? -Kreadoubt, a little more than frustrated right now. "I don't want to be on channel J, sweatin' up the joint" JF ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3793DC5C.3648@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:18:05 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? Anyone else unable to see the show on Broadcast.com???? They're pissing me off. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bed255$fa3b5c80$553a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:17:07 -0400 Are you supposed to actually SEE it????? -----Original Message----- From: K.C. To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Monday, July 19, 1999 10:17 PM Subject: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? >Anyone else unable to see the show on Broadcast.com???? > >They're pissing me off. > >-- >K.C. Kless >"...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." >Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports >DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3793DF1E.4CEB@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:29:52 -0400 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Anyone gonna save the show? I can't hear the show cause some moron at broadcast.com screwed up. Does or is anyone going to save it so I can hear it later? Please? -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002201bed258$4ac2fbc0$553a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: Listees in the chat Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:33:34 -0400 Hey, You're lucky, my internet service provider decided not to let me connect for the entire time that They were chatting but afterwards it connected with no problem. It's things like that that really make me think someone somewhere really doesn't like me all that much. -----Original Message----- From: Kreadoubt@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Monday, July 19, 1999 10:00 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Listees in the chat >In a message dated 7/19/99 6:02:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jdf179@psu.edu >writes: > >> Did any other listees have a question answered by one of the Johns during >> the chat? >> > >rrrrrrrrrrr! I'm so FRUSTRATED! I was here! I logged on to AOL, got to the >site, signed up with Yahoo 15 minutes before the CHAT began and started to >log into the room when it happened. AOL froze! ugh! by the time I got back >my computer to shut down and reload and eventually get back onto AOL it was >almost over. rrrrrrrrrrrr, stupid AOL. I have never had problems like that >before.....ever. > >*sigh* so, was anyone able to copy the chat? > >-Kreadoubt, a little more than frustrated right now. > >"I don't want to be on channel J, sweatin' up the joint" JF ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <16d11b4a.24c53f2f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:55:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone gonna save the show? In a message dated 7/19/99 7:28:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu writes: > I can't hear the show cause some moron at broadcast.com screwed up. Does > or is anyone going to save it so I can hear it later? > Please? rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I can't get through either! ARGH! I give UP! I have all the software and then some that they require and it's just not working. I'm going to go out and eat a big Sunday. -Kreadoubt ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:59:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What the HECK!!!?? In a message dated 7/19/99 7:21:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, WEISSMAN42@prodigy.net writes: > Are you supposed to actually SEE it????? Well, I haven't been able to get through and I've been trying for 2 hours. But, I beleive it's just an audio thing. Though, I will NEVER know. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3793F14B.42ED0909@conpoint.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:47:23 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Subject: TMBG: Streaming Madness WHOO BABY! For ONCE I had **NO** computer/server/universe problems while listening to a streaming concert!!! WHEEE HAW!!! I attended the chat, but like all chats, I just sat in numb silence. (Mr_Palindrome was me. Not much to say, only asked three questions but none were answered. I should've asked about the paper plates. That was right on the tip of my tongue.) Oh boy! What a fun li'l event! And I got it all recorded as clear and as fun as humanly possible!!! I hope everyone else got to/will get to hear it! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ Mike "Waiting for the complaints about the concert" Leffel --wah! That concert sucked! I want my money back! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3793F2D0.2EC84A78@conpoint.com> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:53:53 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Subject: Re: TMBG: Streaming Madness ADDENDUM: One thing I thought was really cool (couple things) was the 'istanbul' AYYYYYYYYY yell, whatever you call it, and the opening noise at the beginning of the concert... And I'd like to hear them cover more songs like TAMBO URINE MAN! Hee Hee Hee! > Mike "Waiting for the complaints about the concert" Leffel > --wah! That concert sucked! I want my money back! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:19:28 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3793F8D0.E5F5BF66@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Piracy Well, on the chat, John said they don't worry about piracy, you nutty MP3-ers! He might as well said GO AND BURN LTW A MILLION TIMES OVER! He SHOULD be worried about Piracy though. Mike "It's a dangerous game!" Leffel -- TEMPE!!!!! TEMPE!!!! TEMPE!!! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:18:14 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <3793F886.71AC215C@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Wow! That was great! Only a bit of trouble at the beginning of the streaming, but once that was resolved, smooth sailing! Here's a semi-playlist like type of thing, for those of you who might have missed it: 1. Sorry I Fucked up the Show 2. James K. Polk 3. She Thinks She's Edith Head 4. Ana Ng 5. Your Racist Friend 6. Spiralling Shape 7. She's Actual Size 8. Til my Head Falls Off 9. Don't Let's Start (from 1948 ^_^) 10. Cyclops Rock 11. She's an Angel 12. Particle Man 13. Famous Polka 14. Maybe I Know 15. Spy 16. Inside Out/Upside Down (Just Linnell trying to sing a song he didn't know the words to... Funny!) 17. Mr. Tambourine Man 18. Why Does the Sun Shine? 19. Glockenspiel intro/Shoehorn with Teeth 20. Older 21. It's So Loud in Here 22. Birdhouse in Your Soul 23. Spider 24. The Guitar 25. Dr. Evil 26. Dr. Worm 27. New York City 28. Exquisite Dead Guy 29. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) This is a show you won't hear me complaining about! Bob "Didn't expect the show to start out of the 'Gigantor' theme..." Scott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:25:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <3793FA52.F772420C@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Broadcast.com performance at Irving Plaza Bob Scott wrote: > > Wow! That was great! Only a bit of trouble at the beginning of the > streaming, but once that was resolved, smooth sailing! > Here's a semi-playlist like type of thing, for those of you who might > have missed it: > > 1. Sorry I Fucked up the Show > 2. James K. Polk > 3. She Thinks She's Edith Head > 4. Ana Ng > 5. Your Racist Friend > 6. Spiralling Shape > 7. She's Actual Size > 8. Til my Head Falls Off > 9. Don't Let's Start (from 1948 ^_^) > 10. Cyclops Rock > 11. She's an Angel > 12. Particle Man > 13. Famous Polka > 14. Maybe I Know > 15. Spy > 16. Inside Out/Upside Down (Just Linnell trying to sing a song he > didn't know the words to... Funny!) > 17. Mr. Tambourine Man > 18. Why Does the Sun Shine? > 19. Glockenspiel intro/Shoehorn with Teeth > 20. Older > 21. It's So Loud in Here > 22. Birdhouse in Your Soul > 23. Spider > 24. The Guitar > 25. Dr. Evil > 26. Dr. Worm > 27. New York City > 28. Exquisite Dead Guy > 29. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) > > This is a show you won't hear me complaining about! > > Bob "Didn't expect the show to start out of the 'Gigantor' theme..." > Scott HAHAH! I heard about them using that, but when it came over my poorly constructed communist speakers, I thought for a moment that I might be channeling people from the sixties again!!! Mike "Was that the Carol Burnett Show at the end???" Leffel --I love lucy?? WHAT WAS IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??! It wasn't the theme to The Lloyd Bridges Show, I know THAT much. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990720045145.93937.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:51:44 GMT You know, the decision to make Long Tall Weekend MP3-only has irked me for some time now. Let me explain: 1) I have to wonder if the Johns did this to be "with the times", e.g. MP3 format; if so, did They consider the revenue they would stand to lose due to piracy? 2) Why no cd release version at all? Surely not even 75% of TMBG fans have a computer, let alone a computer that runs fast enough (modem included) to permit them to download the album and/or the separate tracks at any kind of respectable speed. I am also certain that every fan would most likely buy the album in cd format, as cds are commonplace. I can also understand releasing the album on MP3, and later on cd for those of us without a burner :) 3) How does the MP3-only decision benefit Them at all? I find it hard to believe that They have enough money to put out an full-length EP for $8.99 and never even try to sell cd copies. What about the liner notes? There's no hope for posterity! No pictures, no credits, no nothing. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? Chococat A Proud Member of the "Argh! I missed every opportunity to see/hear tonight's show, but hey, that's what TDK's for!" Club P.S. This is my first post, and I am sorry that it was so controversial . . . _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-20 ******************************