Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 22 Thursday, 22 July 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: My LTW Review Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Re: TMBG: eBay Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: eBay Re: TMBG: eBay Re: TMBG: The MP3 Argument Re: TMBG: eBay TMBG: LTW promo CD Re: TMBG: eBay Re: TMBG: LTW promo CD Re: NON-TMBG: digital movies TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut TMBG: Re: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut -and- COver Art Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. TMBG: New article on CDNow TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! Re: TMBG: New article on CDNow Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! TMBG: This Time. Re: TMBG: This Time. Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut -Reply Subject: TMBG: Needle in a Haystack (+ Shoehorn explained) TMBG: free show Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut RE: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc TMBG: LTW, IP show Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:44:52 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7n2pss$137t$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: My LTW Review Well, I finished downloading Long Tall Weekend this morning, and I thought I'd contribute my thoughts on it. Overall I'm pleased with this album, even though it contains mostly old songs of theirs I've heard before. However, considering the length of time since most of these songs original conception, it would've been doubtful to have them all on the nextreal album. One thing that surprised me about LTW was it's length, only 34 minutes long, making it the shortest TMBG album ever. Most of these songs are about 2 mins long or less. It's too bad that they didn't tag on a couple more dial-a-song tracks to lengthen it and return us fans to the salad days of 18 or more tracks per album. Here are my song-by- song comments: 01-Drinking A nice instumental that serves as an effective opening to the album. Probably also the only song that was written specifically for this album. Reminds me of 'Siftin.' 02-She Think She's Edith Head A preview of this song which will also appear on their next 'real' album. This song is a good solid rock song, sounds like Flansburgh in good form. The one thing that threw me with this recording is the sudden sputter of randomness near the end of the song. I wonder if this song will be rerocorded for the next album, or if they will use this version. 03-Maybe I Know A favorite cover of theirs, I have an mp3 of this song that they performed in '92, this song is finally given a studio treatment. This is a nice poppy song and could be mistaken for a TMBG original, as some reviewers have. 04-Rat Patrol Originally sung acapella by Flans on dial-a-song, this song was given a rocking reworking during the Factory Showroom Sessions (FSS). This seems to be the exact same recording, although the quality is much better than the copy I had. 05-Token Back To Brooklyn Don't I already have this song? This is the exact same recording as the hidden track on Factory Showroom. Although this is nice for fans who for some reason or other don't already have it, it's kinda redundant for the rest of us. Too bad they didn't release the dial-a-song version. 06-Older The 'single' from the album, this is the one track that's given away for free on the site. A live favorite, this song was also recorded for the FSS. Why it didn't make the final cut for that album is a mystery, I've heard one interview where Linnell even mistaken said that it was on FS. Luckily, this song will also be on the next 'real' album. This version sounds similar to the FSS version, but slighlty remixed. 07-Operators Are Standing By Originally a dial-a-song, this song seems perfectly suited for the telephone, just like 'I Can Hear You' is perfectly suited for the Edison Wax recording. This song is given a synth reworking, yet it's the same version as can be heard at www.dialasong.com , yet in higher quality. 08-Dark And Metric Yet another song you can hear at www.dialasong.com , this is a dark (sic) song containing the haunting lyrics "just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned." Again, this songs main instument is the syth, and it harkens back to the early TMBG before the full band. 09-Reprehensible Another song from the FSS, this is perhaps my favorite song from this album. For some reason, the idea of a secret voice calling out the misdeads of your imortal soul is a particlary hauting and beautiful image to me. A very laid back song. I particularly like the horns 10-Certain People I Could Name Again, from FSS, this is another great song about samurai and people that remind you of certain other people you know with a full band sound. 11-Counterfeit Faker From FSS, this song is TMBG doing country. I mean, really country. This song probably scared the execs at Elektra. Let it never be said that the Johns stick to one style. Appearently based on a true story. 12-They Got Lost Originally recorded during FSS, this song was released on Severe Tire Damage in a much speeded up live version. This is the original, much slower version. In fact, it is so slowed down that it ranks in as the longest LTW song, at over 4 mins. 13-Lulllaby to Nightmares A Flansburgh composition originally recorded for Hello the Band. Here the song is given a full band treatment, with horns and all. This song illustrates how thin the line is between Flan's songs for side projects and TMBG. In any case, this song is a worthy addition to the TMBG ouvre. 14-On Earth My Nina A Linnell song sung without any backing instuments, this is reinterpratation of a new Linnell song. He took the song and reversed it and made this haunting mysterious song. The backwards type singing sometimes gets in the way of understanding the lyrics however. 15-Edison Museum A song Linnell cowrote with Brian Dewan and sung by Nick Hill, this song originally appeared on the limited release 'Edisongs.' This also appeared on the original dial-a-song online as a wav file. This song has been subsequently rerecorded for the new www.dialasong.com , but this is the original, and in my opinion better, version of this song. I'm done boring you (for now). -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:30:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Message-ID: BTW, The emusic people said that the show would be archived for 30 days.... I don't see it up yet but they seemed trustworthy :) -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Sarah wrote: > AHHHHHHHH>>>>>> > I really want to hear this show!!!! > I mean... REALLY! Is there anyone out there who would be so kind as to > make a copy of a recording they may have... I'll pay you.... I'd offer > to trade, but I have nothing of value... > > Please, Please... with Spiraling shapes on top! > > ~Sarah, I live my life in a garbage can > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:13:52 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7n2v3n$17e8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay Dylan Flipse wrote in message news:3.0.3.32.19990720150713.01119df0@mail.csrlink.net... > At 02:30 PM 7/20/99 -0400, you wrote: > >Well, I knew it wouldn't be long, but sheesh, a copy of LTW is already > >up to $66 on eBay. > > I see three auctions up, and two of them claim to have promo releases of > LTW on CD. If those actually exist, I don't have a problem with them...but > the other > (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=134291393) is an > audio CD on CD-R and that...rubs me the wrong way. Some of the other stuff > is a bit iffy. What I found interesting was this item: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=133316418 Appearently, it's a promo CD They've released the has, get this: 1.DR Evil 2.Boss of Me (theme to Fox TV's "Malcolm & Eddie" debuting this fall 3.She thinks She's Edith Head (a song from EMusic's MP3 only release) 4.Older(Music from ABC TV special "Brave New World" airing this autumn 5.Cyclops Rock(demo from next album). Now Older might be the same as the LTW release as well, but that still leaves 3 previously unavailable tracks. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720160536.006a2af0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:05:36 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW I agree entirely. Without some name-brand content, no one's going to adopt technology. That's precisely why eMusic paid TMBG to release an mp3-only album...to draw attention to itself and get people interested in digital music delivery. And to those saying that it's too bad TMBG isn't releasing this on CD as well...eMusic benefits much more by NOT having LTW readily available on CD. By only having it in one format, if you want to hear it, you have to pay them and download the mp3s. It's a great way to see how many fans would be interested in downloading an mp3-only album if there were no alternative way of getting the content. Every single other album Goodnoise/eMusic released has been available on CD, so this is the first step in gauging interest. -Adam At 10:28 AM 7/20/99 PDT, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >What would be wrong with that? Unless you're the type who just BUYS new >technology because it's new, you wouldn't purchase a DVD player unless >someone came out with some decent discs for it. If no one came out with the >discs, you wouldn't buy a DVD player, and you'd save money. Where's the >problem in that? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:05:11 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <379500A7.2065611F@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay --------------93B4E6514A9CA80F997B534A Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "Jay G." wrote: > What I found interesting was this item: > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=133316418 > Appearently, it's a promo CD They've released the has, get this: > > 1.DR Evil > 2.Boss of Me (theme to Fox TV's "Malcolm & Eddie" debuting this fall) Whoever's selling it apparently got mixed up. Malcolm and Eddie is on UPN, while Malcolm in the Middle is the program they probably meant to refer to. > 3.She thinks She's Edith Head (a song from EMusic's MP3 only release) > 4.Older(Music from ABC TV special "Brave New World" airing this autumn > 5.Cyclops Rock(demo from next album). > > Now Older might be the same as the LTW release as well, but that > still leaves 3 previously unavailable tracks. But it's a CD-r, so wouldn't it be considered illegal to be auctioned on eBay, anyhow? I'd like to know where they got ahold of whatever they ripped these tracks from... Bob "Wishing that I had a CD promo of LTW from last nite's show!" Scott --------------93B4E6514A9CA80F997B534A Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "Jay G." wrote:
What I found interesting was this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=133316418
Appearently, it's a promo CD They've released the has, get this:

1.DR Evil
2.Boss of Me (theme to Fox TV's "Malcolm & Eddie" debuting this fall)

Whoever's selling it apparently got mixed up. Malcolm and Eddie is on UPN, while Malcolm in the Middle is the program they probably meant to refer to.

3.She thinks She's Edith Head (a song from EMusic's MP3 only release)
4.Older(Music from ABC TV special "Brave New World" airing this autumn
5.Cyclops Rock(demo from next album).

Now Older might be the same as the LTW release as well, but that
still leaves 3 previously unavailable tracks.

But it's a CD-r, so wouldn't it be considered illegal to be auctioned on eBay, anyhow? I'd like to know where they got ahold of whatever they ripped these tracks from...

Bob "Wishing that I had a CD promo of LTW from last nite's show!" Scott --------------93B4E6514A9CA80F997B534A-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720162605.006abdbc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:26:05 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay Interesting. Have y'all seen all the bootleg TMBG CDs listed on www.gemm.com now? "As Seen On TV, Part 1", "Can I Sing For You?", and "Dial A Song"... -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720162848.006a8750@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:28:48 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The MP3 Argument At 07:22 PM 7/20/99 GMT, Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: > >I think that the enchantment with DVD quality is laughable. Mind you, I >prefer that my Gary Numan cds are "digitally remastered", but if it sounds >bad in the first place, where is the room for improvement? Although to be fair, the Kubrick stuff was made using old transfers. DVDs using new transfers tend to look spectacular, but many studios aren't willing to pony up the money for new transfers (often $10,000-20,000 a pop), so you're left with mediocre crap. DVDs display content made with DVD in mind quite well, but using Laserdisc and VHS transfers look fairly crappy. Still, until some format is made that can display video at film-quality with no lossy compression, I'm sure we'll see more and more formats flooding the market. With as quickly as DVD is being adopted (it's one of the most popular technologies ever!), I think we're probably going to be stuck with it for a while. D-VHS is supposed to be pretty darn nice too (bandwidth higher than DVD), I really don't think it's going to have much of an impact. I also like your Gary Numan statement. Things definitely won't improve by using certain formats (y'know, the DVD of the Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee thing isn't going to be magically crystal clear), although it is cool to get away from tapes, which corrode, break down, etc., etc., etc. While digital storage is nifty...you wouldn't have the problems with film (scratches, colors fading, tears in the film, etc.) necessarily. But digital storage changes so quickly! I mean, I think about all the stuff I stored on 5 1/4" floppies, and that was only 10 years ago. No matter what digital storage method you use, chances are that it'll be out of use in 50 years. Oh well. I like DVD a lot, although it's definitely not the end-all video solution some people think it is, but until "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" is available, it'll never be a truly viable format, IMO. ;-) -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:58:03 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7n31ma$19lk$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay > Bob Scott wrote in message > news:379500A7.2065611F@conpoint.com... >> "Jay G." wrote: >> What I found interesting was this item: >> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=133316418 >> Appearently, it's a promo CD They've released the has, get this: >> . > But it's a CD-r, so wouldn't it be considered illegal to be auctioned on > eBay, anyhow? I'd like to know > where they got ahold of whatever they > ripped these tracks from... I was guessing that this was a release w/ a low number of copies. Some bands and labels now use CDRs as a way of releasing some promo stuff since it's cheaper than a factory pressing for such a small number. My guess is that the LTW promos were also CDRs > Bob "Wishing that I had a CD promo of LTW from last nite's show!" Scott I wonder if the LTW promos were printed from the mp3s of the songs, or if they were pressed from the original tapes. If it's the latter, than I really wish I had a copy. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701bed30e$1f870da0$109da2d1@tk421> From: "eRiCh" Subject: TMBG: LTW promo CD Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:15:20 -0700 Someone posted there review on the concert in NY and said they got a promo LTW CD. Who was that? I deleted the message and then thought, did it have full cover art? front and back? or none at all? thanks eRiCh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bed30e$906825e0$109da2d1@tk421> From: "eRiCh" Subject: Re: TMBG: eBay Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:18:29 -0700 > Interesting. Have y'all seen all the bootleg TMBG CDs listed on > www.gemm.com now? "As Seen On TV, Part 1", "Can I Sing For You?", and > "Dial A Song"... Yeah and it has that single "This Time" what the heck is that??? there was alot of concerts too called "we" and another one from a factory showroom session-- I feel a little ansy about ordering from them, if memory serves right they dont have a very good reputation.... And what is this "what we did this summer" on eBay??? It has boss of me and dr evil!!! it says its a CD-R but --you know-- what's the story??? eRiCh ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <49ed653a.24c6735f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:50:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: LTW promo CD In a message dated 7/20/99 8:13:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cannon10@wa.freei.net writes: << Someone posted there review on the concert in NY and said they got a promo LTW CD. Who was that? I deleted the message and then thought, did it have full cover art? front and back? or none at all? thanks eRiCh >> The LTW Promo is the cover art from Emusic printed out and put in a little plastic slip, with the cd inside . The back is the same as the front, except instead of the window with the creepy guy, it says "EMUSIC PRESENTS.." The CD has the track listing going around in a circle on the cd. Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:08:43 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: digital movies Message-ID: On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Matt James wrote: > With the recent talk about the Phantom Menace being an all digital movie, and the all-digital projectors that some theaters are getting, will the translation from the movie screen to DVD be more fluid? Will these new projectors only affect picture quality or will they affect sound quality as well? > For Kubrick's mono-sound movies, would such a format prevent such a movie > from ever being THX certified? > Thanks, > Matt > Presumably, films in the future which will be shown digitally will also have originated in the digital domain, meaning they will not be shot on film at all but on a digital storage medium. Therefore they will be able to use the original CGI files for the DVD transfer (this has already happened with the DVD of A Bug's Life). Phantom Menace was partly shot on film and partly shot digitally, but the entire movie was run through a computer, meaning that when this movie is released in DVD, they may bypass the film to video transfer completely and go directly from the computer files. If Phantom Menace is any example, the blend of 35mm photography and digital photography may in fact already be seamless, though expensive. THX has often certified home video versions of movies in mono. They do not require a movie to be in stereo in order to qualify for certification. However, I would advise all of you not to assume that THX automatically means you are getting the highest level of quality possible. THX is merely a quality control program which adheres to certain technical standards, but is NOT a technical process which can be decoded. Using THX equipment to watch THX videotapes or DVDs or laserdiscs does not have any impact on quality. In reality, a major studio release of any movie on video has as much a chance of looking and sounding good WITHOUT the THX stamp as with, and for the most part the best work being done in the DVD arena is done without the participation of THX. I urge you all not to assume that if something says THX on it, that it is better, or that it in fact means anything at all. It truly doesn't mean anything. I've been following the THX home video program since the beginning, and it is hit and miss. MIKe ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:34:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Message-ID: <19990720.213459.-207375.1.presence76@juno.com> From: Adam Shoop Bongo writes: >Its seems that their recent albums have opened with tracks that had potential to attract more >than just usual TMBG fans. If they we're trying to attract fans with only one song, and not continuing that thru the entire disc, I would have to believe it would be more commercially successful being released as a single, and available only as a single, or as a single and on a regular album. I don't see this as a means of attracting new fans. >A18 and JH started with songs that had a hard and heavy sound (by TMBG standards anyway). >"Dig My Grave" was sort of an affectionate mockery of metal. "Subliminal" had a somewhat >raw, loud feel, sort of in the direction of grunge. Factory Showroom opened with "S-E-X-X->Y", a song conscious of the fact that the "urban contemporary" sound is what a lot of young >people are listening to. I think it's rediculous to assume that just because they are expanding their boundaries musically, that it's being used a commercial ploy to increase album sales. They've sold well over 3 million albums, but compared to say the Beatles, who've sold well over 100 million albums, that's not that successful. I can't see the addition of one track per album in a sort of different style of music increasing album sales much. A much better option might be to grow breasts and wear Britney Spears masks. =) >Ska was very big when they were putting STD together. "Dr. Worm" is essentially the first >real "song" on it. (STD theme is just a little intro). Of course "Dr. Worm" is in no way ska it >but it IS heavy on the horns which makes it a little more "in" with today's music. (Ska has >conditioned the masses to enjoy horns.) You're selectively viewing the information. Sure Dr. Worm has a horn section creating a large part of the song, but so do a lot of TMBG songs. Are they all promoting sales to Ska fans as well? >I don't consider them to be "sell outs" because of this. Its only the first song and they have a >reputation for covering just about every style of American music anyway. They aren't sellouts, because that's not the plan anyway. Look at the boundaries the two John's work within. You don't see any? That's correct, there aren't any. They have the capability to sound like a lot of things, and a lot of it probably has to do with what they are being influenced by at the time, and what they feel like playing. Any of you that are familiar with Led Zeppelin, may recall the track, the Crunge. A bit of a takeoff on the style of James Brown, and really hilarious. However, I don't think the idea was to market the album Houses of the Holy to James Brown fans - in fact, I think James Brown purists may be disappointed, or even disgruntled. >I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Correcto. Because the two John's are going to do whatever the hell they feel like, and most likely it will be good. MuseKJ@aol.com writes: >Aren't Their opinions the only ones that matter in any situation, where their work is >concerned? "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" replies: >Oh, sure. However, I'd like to think that the Johns are a bit less abrasive than that when it >comes to their audience's feelings and input towards their music? I think it would be a little bit of both, but not necessarily. When Robert Johnson decided to record a bunch of blues tracks (that would later become classics), I don't think he had anyone in mind but himself - but that's also generally a characterization of the blues. "Jay G." gives an analysis of LTW. Thanks for the review! I won't have the chance to listen to it for a short period of time, but I am looking forward to the album a little bit more than I was because some of the tracks sound really interesting. Adam Tyner writes: >Although to be fair, the Kubrick stuff was made using old transfers. blah blah blah... Ok, I've only been on this list a couple of days, so far I've enjoyed most of the content, and it appears that I'm fitting into the teen-age group of the list, but I can already tell a pet peeve of mine is going to be when people really start to drift from TMBG, to completely off-topical subjects. Please stay on track, ghhr hrr hrr! "Jay G." writes: >I was guessing that this was a release w/ a low number of copies. Some bands and labels now >use CDRs as a way of releasing some promo stuff since it's cheaper than a factory pressing >for such a small number. Where have you seen this? I've never heard of bands (other than really small ones making their own albums) putting tracks on CD-R's for distribution, because the idea is that consumer's can tell the difference between a regular CD and a CD-R, so when purchasing material, they are sure to not be buying copies of a copy. Even some bootleg companies press there own CD's, and then you even have bootleg companies who press CD-R copies of the original bootlegs. Double illegitimacy! Adam Tyner writes: > Interesting. Have y'all seen all the bootleg TMBG CDs listed on > www.gemm.com now? "As Seen On TV, Part 1", "Can I Sing For You?", and > "Dial A Song"... "eRiCh" replies: >Yeah and it has that single "This Time" what the heck is that??? there was alot of concerts too >called "we" and another one from a factory showroom session-- I feel a little ansy about >ordering from them, if memory serves right they dont have a very good reputation.... And what >is this "what we did this summer" on eBay??? It has boss of me and dr evil!!! it says its a >CD-R but --you know-- what's the story??? Some of you seem really surprised to see bootlegs?! They're going to pop up, and questioning here the material came from is unnecessary, because people find a way to get it. Some groups obviously have more bootlegging than others, and some of these group members have had material stolen from the studio and bootlegged, or even had their houses broken into by someone trying to obtain copies of unreleased material. Also, I'm fairly new to TMBG, so everyone here probably knows a bit more about them than I do (I don't even own a copy of every album yet), but tracks you haven't heard of before shouldn't be a surprise to you with so many sources, such as Dial-A-Song, of different tracks that would have never been released, some probably not even recorded properly in the studio. Look at the unlisted tracks from Severe Tire Damage. The inferior sound quality of these tracks suggest that they were recorded by fans, and sent to the John's. And as far as I know, the Planet of the Apes stuff can get pretty ab-lib musically on occasions. Track 21: So Hal, uh, Hal, you guys start up the disco thing, and we'll figure it out from there..." And then of course you have one of the most entertaining BeeGee's impersonations doing the Planet of the Apes stage saga :) While I'm on the topic of those unlisted tracks, Conquest (you know, it's a type of quest) is really hilarious! Also, I was reading the greeting sent to you when you subscribe, and I didn't really see any sort of a proper list administration. There is a list administrator of course, but no charter or type of documentation that outlines the proper way to conduct oneself on the list, accept that brief mention of trying to avoid spamming the list. On previous lists, it's even gone as far as to have have committee panels (people who have volunteered, and are chosen by the administrator) to uphold the charter and enforce the proper course of action written in the charter for members who don't follow. Maybe you don't have problems with individuals of that type here. Just a suggestion. blah, hmm. Anything left to say in my first post [*thinking*]? I'm enjoying the list so far, I'm sort of musically inclined myself (I play guitar), and of course we all enjoy TMBG which is why we're here, and it's great to be in the company of other fans. And so on. Adam ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <9d7d4fcc.24c67f4d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:41:33 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Here's what I want to know. Why is it that there is no problem with showing about a hundred COMPLETELY naked women in that movie, but if a man is naked in the movie he needs to be "digitally edited?" I just don't understand. Diana ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:05:54 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37952B02.5EB68A7@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Giants, etc. > > Adam Tyner writes: > >Although to be fair, the Kubrick stuff was made using old transfers. > blah blah blah... > > Ok, I've only been on this list a couple of days, so far I've enjoyed > most of the content, and it appears that I'm fitting into the teen-age > group of the list, but I can already tell a pet peeve of mine is going to > be when people really start to drift from TMBG, to completely off-topical > subjects. Please stay on track, ghhr hrr hrr! You're going to be in for a long and uncomfortable ride then! But, as your first post indicated, you'll fit right in. ^_^ Mike "I find it funny that the newbie chose TYNER to crab about!" Leffel ^_^ ---Welcome to the list! I'm not one of the greeter kinds though, so I have nothing especially heartwarming to say. (evaporates into the swamp gas) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:09:45 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <37952BE9.D67D826F@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut -and- COver Art DKocar@aol.com wrote: > > Here's what I want to know. Why is it that there is no problem with showing > about a hundred COMPLETELY naked women in that movie, but if a man is naked > in the movie he needs to be "digitally edited?" > Men aren't that pretty! ^_^ > I just don't understand. > > Diana Mike "I WILL SEE IT TOMORROW! MAYBE!" Leffel ericH- Good job on the 'cover' art! Looked near-authentic! ^_^ Mike "Makes me want to sing!" Leffel ---russian folk music. WHY DOES IT MAKE ME WANT TO SING RUSSIAN FOLK MUSIC?! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bed322$d85bdb80$9141dfd1@oemcomputer> From: "Jared Trouth" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:43:22 -0500 ----- Original Message ----- From: Adam Shoop To: Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 8:34 PM Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. > A much better option might be to grow breasts and wear Britney Spears > masks. =) Do you have any idea what kind of nightmares that this one sentence is going to give me? I belive that this post has scarred me for the rest of my life! Good points on the rest of the post though... I agree that anything They do could be interpreted as trying to break into the mainstream, but we the fans just have to trust John and John to keep doing that voodoo that they do so well. - Jared "Singing This Cowardly Lullaby" Trouth ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720201248.006a13a8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:12:48 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: New article on CDNow Supporting the release of their MP3-only odds-and-sods package Long Tall Weekend, They Might Be Giants played an unannounced gig Monday (July 19) night at New York City's Irving Plaza before an audience of manic fan-club members, blase industry types, and assorted other people of all ages. The invitation-only nature of the appearance, coupled with the legendary devotion of TMBG fans, led to a complete absence of scalpers outside the club, a rarity in New York. TMBG's two Johns, Linnell, and Flansburgh, supplemented by a stripped-down band of guitar, bass, and drums (all played by guys named Dan), performed two dozen old and new favorites in the 90-minute show, which was presented by emusic.com and broadcast over the Internet. Some audience members could be seen with hand-held computers watching themselves watching the show, which brought to mind TMBG's "I Palindrome I," with its line "I am a snakehead eating the head on the opposite side." The band did not play that song, although (as a linguistics-oriented fan pointed out), along with the headliners and the opening act You Were Spiraling, it would have given the evening a grammatically complete set of first, second, and third person. Nonetheless, there were plenty of favorites old and new, including among the latter a cover of Lesley Gore's "Maybe I Know," a high-powered rocker called "She Thinks She's Edith Head," and the deeply depressing "Older" ("You're older than you've ever been/ And now you're even older/ And now you're older still"), as well as "Dr. Evil," the theme song from the latest Austin Powers movie, which was sung by Flansburgh's wife, Robin Goldwasser. The TMBG audience was its usual geekily enthusiastic self: pogoing, miming lyrics, mysteriously waving watches in the air, and singing along with every word of every song, including the unreleased ones. When Flansburgh blew the lyrics to "Why Does the Sun Shine?" (listing the elements that make up the sun's core as "estrogen, estrogen, estrogen, and more estrogen"), he apologized, then jokingly complained that doing a TMBG concert was "like singing for an audience of New York Times fact-checkers." They Might Be Giants could be the only band in America whose fans take that kind of remark as a compliment. -- Frederic Schwarz ------------------------------ From: Rach014@aol.com Message-ID: <76543e1f.24c6970e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:22:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! * De-lurking...... * This show was so completely awesome! I loved the Central Park show, but this show was definitely better. It started off with "Sorry I Fucked Up The Show," which led to a pretty funny conversation between the Johns about whether or not they were able to swear on the internet. Linnell said something like, "They said it was fucking okay!," which I thought was pretty cool. :) Then they played Polk and Edith Head, which was really good. At the end Flans was just screaming at the top of his lungs and not even trying to say "She think's she's Edith Head." Next was Racist, then Spiralling Shape. They had spiralling lights and spiralling images projected all over the place. Very cool. A few songs later came Don't Let's Start, which the Johns claimed was written in 1948 "back when they were just kids" or something. :) The audience went nuts - it ws great. Flans kept taking his glasses on and off through the whole show, which was unexpected and cool. He looks really different without them. (I got a great pic of him without glasses playing his cool boxy guitar during She's An Angel. I'll scan and post all my pics somewhere soon.) They played The Famous Polka, too. Spy led into this weird improv-sounding thing by Linnell, who started singing something out being inside out and upside down. (Is this a cover? Does anyone know?) That led into a completely spontaneous performance of Mr. Tambourine man... Flans just kinda yelled some stuff to Linnell, then said into the mike, "Mr. Tambourine Man!" And during WDTSS? he yelled "Estrogen! Estrogen! Estrogen, and more estrogen!" I laugh every time I hear that. :) During the secone encore they used these cool puppet heads on long sticks to sing Exquisite Dead Guy. And at some point during the show Flans held his guitar out into the audience and I TOCHED IT AND PLAYED A FEW NOTES ON THE STRINGS! That was so awesome - I couldn't believe it. If anyone happened to snap a pic of when Flans was holding his guitar out, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE scan it and send me a copy (Rach014@aol.com)! Also, if anyone has a boot of the show or knows where I can get one, let me know. Thanks guys. See ya. :) Rachel ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <642ba2c2.24c69734@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:23:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New article on CDNow In a message dated 7/20/99 11:17:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: << When Flansburgh blew the lyrics to "Why Does the Sun Shine?" (listing the elements that make up the sun's core as "estrogen, estrogen, estrogen, and more estrogen"), he apologized, then jokingly complained that doing a TMBG concert was "like singing for an audience of New York Times fact-checkers." >> Noooo....Flansburgh messed up when he said "its about 96 million miles away..."...audience members then held up 3 fingers at Flans (implying ninety THREE million) That article was stupid... Jordan ------------------------------ From: VladAmel@aol.com Message-ID: <341714a6.24c6944d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:11:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut DKocar@aol.com writes: << Why is it that there is no problem with showing about a hundred COMPLETELY naked women in that movie, but if a man is naked in the movie he needs to be "digitally edited?" I just don't understand. Diana >> well, i'll say what Howard Stern says: It's a mans world.... -brian ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:36:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! << Spy led into this weird improv-sounding thing by Linnell, who started singing something out being inside out and upside down. (Is this a cover? Does anyone know?) >> Did it go something like... Upside down...boy you turn me....inside out and....round and round"? That's a dance tune from the late 70's or early 80's recorded by Diana Ross. Hehe, I dunno how Linnell does it...he always picks such perfectly cheesy songs and makes them so cool! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721043053.11600.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:30:53 GMT I attended the St. Louis show on July 10, and they covered "Teenage Wasteland". Since then, I have been racking my brains (all four of them) trying to remember who did the song *originally*. Thoughts? Chococat the mentally deficient >From: Kaylum@aol.com >Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! >Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:36:56 EDT > ><< Spy led into this weird improv-sounding thing by Linnell, who started >singing something out being inside out and upside down. (Is this a cover? >Does anyone know?) >> > >Did it go something like... > >Upside down...boy you turn me....inside out and....round and round"? > >That's a dance tune from the late 70's or early 80's recorded by Diana >Ross. >Hehe, I dunno how Linnell does it...he always picks such perfectly cheesy >songs and makes them so cool! > >Kay _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721042545.52134.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:25:45 GMT Nah. The naked male form is somewhat laughable, what with all the muscles and hair, and then that *thing* down there. . . Now, I like seeing naked people, and although I am straight, I tend to look at the women. Go figure. Chococat the sexually deprived >From: VladAmel@aol.com >Reply-To: VladAmel@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut >Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:11:09 EDT > >DKocar@aol.com writes: > ><< Why is it that there is no problem with showing > about a hundred COMPLETELY naked women in that movie, but if a man is >naked > in the movie he needs to be "digitally edited?" > I just don't understand. > > Diana >> > > well, i'll say what Howard Stern says: It's a mans >world.... > >-brian _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:37:18 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37954E7E.6268F7BD@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" wrote: > I attended the St. Louis show on July 10, and they covered "Teenage > Wasteland". Since then, I have been racking my brains (all four of them) > trying to remember who did the song *originally*. The song (if it's the one I'm thinking of) would be called "Baba O'Riley" and it's by The Who. I love the music that starts out the song. I'm sure CDNow or some comparable site has a clip from it. It's on plenty of albums, I'm sure. Bob "Who enjoyed seeing 'Tommy'" Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990720223735.006a3304@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:37:35 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza Show! You're thinking of "Baba O'Reilly" by the Who. I have no idea why the band called the song that, but most people refer to it as "Teenage Wasteland". The entire song is played in "Summer Of Sam", btw. Oh, and Those Darn Accordions! have an awesome accordion/bass/drums only version. -Adam At 04:30 AM 7/21/99 GMT, Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >I attended the St. Louis show on July 10, and they covered "Teenage >Wasteland". Since then, I have been racking my brains (all four of them) >trying to remember who did the song *originally*. > >Thoughts? > >Chococat the mentally deficient ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:08:40 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7n3ues$1t7s$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: This Time. eRiCh wrote in message news:000d01bed30e$906825e0$109da2d1@tk421... > > > Interesting. Have y'all seen all the bootleg TMBG CDs listed on > > www.gemm.com now? "As Seen On TV, Part 1", "Can I Sing For You?", and > > "Dial A Song"... > > Yeah and it has that single "This Time" what the heck is that??? I placed an order for this item some time back, this is from the most recent emal from wmimusic which I ordered through gemm: Artist: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Title: THIS TIME PO # : GMR431828 ID # :EKR194CD 1 CD5(s) @ $8.98 US$ each Ordered: 1999/04/21 (79 days on order) Current status: Backordered, item not in stock New faster site ready to go. wmimusic.com has redesigned the database to work faster as we top 921,000 titles. > there was > alot of concerts too called "we" and another one from a factory showroom > session-- I feel a little ansy about ordering from them, if memory serves > right they dont have a very good reputation.... It depends.. GEMM by itself isn't bad, it's just a marketplace for sellers to place their wares. The reliabilty of the seller varies. I've personally bout from WMI before and Duffelbag, with satifactory results. The 'we' could be 'we be giants' which was listed as a Japanese Import a while back. The other bootlegs are all aussie imports all from the same seller. Whether these are homemade, or whether these are 'official' bootlegs are anyones guess. I'm not sure I'd trust 'JD1' that much, since his only contact email listed is a hotmail account > And what is this "what we > did this summer" on eBay??? It has boss of me and dr evil!!! it says its a > CD-R but --you know-- what's the story??? eRiCh My guess is that it's a promo put out by the band/band's management, maybe to record execs or such. Even though it's on CDR, it still might be an original copy. If it's not, maybe someone could email the seller and get one off her personally (ie Rob Plass). -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990721012105.0069d894@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:21:05 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: This Time. At 03:08 AM 7/21/99 -0500, Jay G. wrote: > >It depends.. GEMM by itself isn't bad, it's just a marketplace for sellers >to place their wares. The reliabilty of the seller varies. I've personally >bout from WMI before and Duffelbag, with satifactory results. I agree, although from what I've read, if you order through GEMM instead of going directly through the seller (by which I mean GEMM processes your order and sends it to the seller), that can lead to a lot of problems. One seller in particular (I forget who it was) was receiving a lot of mixed reviews, and it turns out that everyone who ordered directly had no problems, and pretty much everyone who ordered through GEMM was screwed. :-P So, for those of y'all reading this, you might be better off using GEMM to search for prices and retailers, and then e-mailing the seller directly or going to that companies' website. >The 'we' could be 'we be giants' which was listed as a Japanese >Import a while back. The other bootlegs are all aussie imports >all from the same seller. Whether these are homemade, or >whether these are 'official' bootlegs are anyones guess. I'm not >sure I'd trust 'JD1' that much, since his only contact email >listed is a hotmail account And he's only gotten one rating. I would very much guess JD1 is just a guy with a CD-R. I've been in touch with all the big online bootleg stores over the past 4 years, and I've never seen any bootleg CDs other than "La Visa Des LA" (which I regret not getting, as I haven't seen it since) and "Dr. Spock's..." listed by any of them. Not to give ourselves too much credit, but if those were for real, someone from the list/newsgroup/message board/chat rooms/etc. would've made mention of it. (But then again, no one has proof of "La Visa", right?) And to think if I'd been willing to spend $40 a few years ago, I'd have such bragging rights... :-P >My guess is that it's a promo put out by the band/band's management, maybe >to record execs or such. Even though it's on CDR, it still might be an >original >copy. If it's not, maybe someone could email the seller and get one off her >personally (ie Rob Plass). Yeah. As someone said earlier yesterday, it's getting to the point where most promos are on CD-R media anymore. Those tracks seem a little unusual to use as a promo, though, but stranger things have happened. -Adam ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 8:51:48 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut -Reply I have also read that we are to have the version as originally intended. Certainly if the UK version doesn't I'm sure our more liberal European neighbours will! Mind you who know when it will open here. Autin Powers the spy etc. still hasn't opened and that Star Wars film only opened last week. Richard >>> "elrond@charm.net" 20/July/1999 08:39pm >>> > Well, the integrity of the film was preserved, for the most part, > especially in the, um, 'party' scene... the whole scene was going to have > to be cut severely in order to get an R rating. Instead, figures were > strategically digitally inserted to cover up the, um, 'action'. This way, > they could keep the scene and preserve Kubrick's artistry. > I had heard that the European version(s) had it has Kubrick originally intended without any digital editing. Anyone know if this is true? -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37959FD9.23A1EF85@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:24:30 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: TMBG: Needle in a Haystack (+ Shoehorn explained) "Pickstock, Kevin" wrote: >Is there any way of the digest administrators putting an index number >for each message, or even better so that you can click the message in >the index and it scrolls right down to that message? I read the index >and wanted to read the "Hidden meaning of Shoehorn With Teeth" message - >I'm sure I'll find it in the end, but there's so much text to scroll >through it's so easy to miss. That is an EXCELLENT idea. Then those awful, awful people who complain about offtopic post might relax a little :) Anyway, you didn't miss anything yet concerning "Hidden meaning of Shoehorn With Teeth". I wrote that message and it was just a teaser for the real revelation which I'll post next week. See you in the haystack! -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19990721084817.009adc60@idt.net> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:48:17 -0400 From: Michael Hooker Subject: TMBG: free show hi, i was at the free show and it rocked! they played a ton of songs, with lots of energy and enthusiasm. i took my two daughters and they loved it. one played john f.'s guitar and touched the dummy's head( which was gross :) ), and the other is rock solid in love with john l. what is it with him? do girls just want to take him home and mother him ? make him a good meal , brush his hair? maybe i should starve myself :) . i recorded the show, and from what i have listened to so far, it came out nearly perfect. when i master and burn it, i'll post. also, like someone said, i got a free copy of LTW. so far , i'm not crazy about it, but i often dont like cd's on the first listen. have fun, Mike Hooker ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721140623.16951.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:06:23 GMT >From: DKocar@aol.com >Reply-To: DKocar@aol.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut >Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:41:33 EDT > >Here's what I want to know. Why is it that there is no problem with >showing about a hundred COMPLETELY naked women in that movie, but if a man >is naked in the movie he needs to be "digitally edited?" > >I just don't understand. It's just that old ugly double standard rearing its head. I mean, it's only fair to us women...if guys get their 'T&A', why can't we get the goods on them? But as my BF explained to me, if it's male full frontal nudity, it's automatically rated X. Which sucks (no pun intended). Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990721083651.006a18e0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:36:51 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Actually, that's not true. The MPAA, who decides if a movie gets a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17, doesn't give out X-ratings. X was created by the adult industry as an advertising gimmick. There was a thread on alt.video.dvd about male full-frontal nudity that made it in PG-13/R, although the only one I remember offhand was "Wild Thing", where Kevin Bacon clearly shows what he's made of in one scene. -Adam At 02:06 PM 7/21/99 GMT, Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > >It's just that old ugly double standard rearing its head. I mean, it's only >fair to us women...if guys get their 'T&A', why can't we get the goods on >them? But as my BF explained to me, if it's male full frontal nudity, it's >automatically rated X. Which sucks (no pun intended). ------------------------------ From: "Malia Jackson" Subject: RE: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:56:01 -0400 Message-ID: <000201bed391$889d9560$015501be@mjackson9999.aisvt.bfg.com> Has anyone seen the Velvet Goldmine or Trainspotting? Both are rated R, and both have Ewan McGregor of recent Obi Wan Kenobi fame wielding his "lightsaber". I don't know what warrants the NC-17, maybe it's the context in which the said parts are used, to put it in a roundabout way. Cheers, Malia -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org] On Behalf Of Adam Tyner Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 11:37 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Actually, that's not true. The MPAA, who decides if a movie gets a G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17, doesn't give out X-ratings. X was created by the adult industry as an advertising gimmick. There was a thread on alt.video.dvd about male full-frontal nudity that made it in PG-13/R, although the only one I remember offhand was "Wild Thing", where Kevin Bacon clearly shows what he's made of in one scene. -Adam At 02:06 PM 7/21/99 GMT, Elendriel ^_^ wrote: > >It's just that old ugly double standard rearing its head. I mean, it's only >fair to us women...if guys get their 'T&A', why can't we get the goods on >them? But as my BF explained to me, if it's male full frontal nudity, it's >automatically rated X. Which sucks (no pun intended). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721162541.6083.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Disquietude over LTW Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:25:41 PDT Karen Riley wrote: >In a message dated 7/20/99 1:18:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >xornom@hotmail.com writes: > ><< The Johns might feel differently from me about this, though, and I > >suppose > that Their opinions are the ones that matter in this situation > >(although, if > the MP3-only album doesn't really work out, They might steer away >from >doing this again in the future). >> > >Aren't Their opinions the only ones that matter in any situation, >where >their work is concerned? Well, yes and no. Technically, the Johns can do whatever They want (provided that They have the resources), but They probably wouldn't do something that would cause Them to lose a lot of money, or that had some other adverse effect. Because of this, the fans do have some input (as a group, not as individuals). If they don't buy something, then it might stop Them from doing something similar later on. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Only available on DVD!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: Hypnotic Clambake, Gondola To Heaven _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:40:57 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: NON TMBG-eyes wide shut Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Adam Tyner wrote: > Actually, that's not true. The MPAA, who decides if a movie gets a G, PG, > PG-13, R, or NC-17, doesn't give out X-ratings. X was created by the adult > industry as an advertising gimmick. The X rating is a real rating that has been and can be stamped on a movie by the MPAA. Midnight Cowboy is an example of a non-porn movie which was rated X upon its original theatrical release. Today, a non-porn movie has to be really over the top to get an X rating, since the NC-17 rating was meant to replace it, without the stigma of the X. Instead, even after all these years, movie studios are afraid of the NC-17, and changes are routinely made to get an R. Male nudity will not automatically get an NC-17 rating, but if you want to parade a naked man around just as you would parade a naked woman around, then there's gonna be problems. It doesn't make any sense, so don't try to make sense of it. MIKe ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721163422.43943.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: The show, LTW, etc Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:34:21 PDT Jordan wrote: >One of the things I was dissapointed by was how they barely >acknowledged >the >fact that this was a big fan only show. I mean the only people who >could >have >really seen it were members of the info club, those who got tickets >in >advanced (they were sold out the day of the show), and those free on >a >MONDAY >night...that makes for an audience of pretty big tmbg fans. Yet they >didnt >really say anything in reference to that. I heard some similar complaints in response to the "children's" show on Father's Day. I guess the Johns view all shows in pretty much the same way, without any really "special" ones. >After getting the setlist, Emusic people were giving out little bags >which >contained an Emusic shirt AND... >A FREE PROMOTIONAL CD COPY OF LONG TALL WEEKEND!!! COVER ART AND ALL! Wow. You were really lucky. (Well, I guess it wasn't entirely luck.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Sorry I fucked up this post" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ Now playing: "Weird Al" Yankovic, Running With Scissors _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <817c00ee.24c74e48@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:24:40 EDT Subject: TMBG: LTW, IP show Hello 41- First, I want to talk about Long Tall Weekend. I think the album is very good. The best thing TMBG has done in a long while. One very important thing that they do on LTW that they haven't done in awhile is keep their songs really short. I think the only one over 3 minutes is They Got Lost, and the live version of that is even shorter. I think that's the way it should be. People, like myself, talk about the "good old days," of TMBG and the older albums and think of them so fondly. A lot of this is because of their cutting a song down to its musical core. The whole CD is only a little longer than a half hour, around the same time (for comparable songs) as Pink Album. Song selection - I had heard a bunch of the songs before and I will just say that it's nice to hear a crisp CD (I caught one at IP) version of them. Drinking - Very good song. Reminds me a lot of Apollo 18 era with Sax and recurring guitar riffs. Edith Head - So catchy. So good. After every show of theirs that I have gone to lately, it's always in my head (not Edith's). Maybe I Know - Another one that I have heard many times before. It was very much in the TMBG spirit that they did the album version that sounded "lighter" than when they do it live because of the darker meaning of the song. Is this the first song They have recorded where they say that they cried? Rat Patrol - I never liked this version because I always compared it to the original DAS version which I liked better. This time though, I digs it. Older - The version from Factory Showroom Outtakes is better. Just is. Operators - Better than the DAS version by far. This version is much poppier and boppier. Dark and Metric - Not as cool as 4 of 2, but still a very good song. Every time I hear it, it makes me think that it should be a song that's a closing theme to a television show. The floating/drowned line is classic. I like how Linnell echos himself. Counterfeit Faker - Still needs the One Man Juggy Crew backin' 'em up. Lullaby to Nightmares - I like the Monopuff version better. This version sounds like post JH era. Something about it just hasn't caught on with me yet. I think the horn lead in just doesn't mesh with "Have you ever seen a bloody egg?" Nina - I'm kinda surprised they released this, as it were. It is very reminiciant of TMBG of yester-yesteryear. John Linnell just making noise that sounds like a song taken from a song, backwards. A la Weep Day? Anyway you slice it, very good, very raw. Edison Musuem - One of the few "TMBG" songs that I can sing with semi-near in key. Props go out to the Tin Horns from the Brian Dewan Edison Musuem recording session for their live version of it. IP show - Lots of stuff was mentioned with it. I'll start with some random stuff, then expand. Dan Hickey drummed for You Were Spiralling. Did a good job. John Linnell's funky keyboard table is made by Brian Dewan. I don't know if it was mentioned, but it's cool. For the record, Brian's new record is great. It's not on any label and who knows if he'll tour outside of NYC but check it out if you can. Theme to Gigantor sounded especially good. Listening to Edison Musuem over the soundsystem ahead of time while watching HR Puff n Stuff on the Irving Plaza was just plain trippy. As was They Got Lost while watching a "Safety on the job" video. They played Aeon Flux too, which was neat. No Devo videos this time though... In line for the IP show, I thought back to the last time TMBG played at Irving Plaza and who was in line last time that was this time as well. Me, GoodOmenz, HallOfEyes, OperatorDot (showed up to give people tix), and I think that's it. We talk about ourselves as these great, long time fans, which we are, but I was surprised to see so few faces from the time before. Interesting. There were these lame ticket scalper guys trying to sell tickets. To a free show. Someone told me, and I approaced one of the guys and told him the deal and to knock it off. Of course it didn't work. So whenever they were walking near the line, trying to sell tickets, I kept yelling that it was free and not to pay. They didn't appriciate it too much. It culminated in one guy getting in my face. He asked me what my deal was. I said that I'm just trying to protect fellow TMBG concert goers from getting ripped off by you. It's a free show, don't sell tickets. He called me some names and threatened to murder me. He was just trying to scare me, but it came off sounding pretty pathetic. The way back to Penn Station was interesting. Kevin, Patricia and I get to the subway at Irving Place. Get to the NR which will take us right there. Our LIRR train leaves in 15 minutes, and we can make it if the subway is quick. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. 20 minutes later, some MTA guy comes and says it's not running, figure some other way out. Great. So I whip out the map and figure we can take the 456 to the 7, and then the 19 down. Fine. We get on the 456 eventually, and get to Grand Central. We eventually pick up the 7 across to Times Square. We get to the platform for the 19, and it just left. Fine, another will be by in a few minutes. We're sitting on the track, and *whoom* one goes by on the other side. Rrrrr. Ten minutes later, *whoom* one goes by on the other side again. RRRRR! We keep waiting in the intense heat and the next LIRR train takes off in 15 minutes. The one after that is at 3:26 and we want to get to the 1:15. It's 1:00. So we keep waiting for the 19. Nothing. About ten minutes until our train leaves, I suggest we just make a mad dash for the LIRR station. We do. Tearing ass down Seventh Avenue at 1:10 AM on a Tuesday, narrowly avoiding cabbies and nightfolk is not usually how I like to hang out after a TMBG show, but what are you going to do? I sprint ahead of Kevin and Patricia because I am *not* going to miss the train. I get there with a fwe minutes to spare and get some juice, get on the LIRR track and wait for Kevin and Patricia and am ready to hold the doors open if need be. They come and we find an air conditioned car. Patricia collapses on the seat and makes a speedy recovery. We get home. Yay. So life is good. Man...Or Astroman? in a week and a half at Bowery Ballroom and Maxwell. Woo!! Adam P.S. 7/23/99 - One Man Juggy Crew playing at Mercury Lounge 9:00 - 9:30 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990721163629.50531.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Opening Tracks (+ Predictions) Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:36:29 PDT Sarah wrote: >I think this is part of what makes any band great (*cough* the >Beatles...) >They have the ability to change with the times... both musically and > >technically (as in.. technology.... as in.. MP3's.... ) But the Beatles never released an MP3-only album! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The first ever MP3-only album, released before the invention of the first computer!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-22 ******************************