Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 25 Sunday, 25 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: TMBG: The missing text from my last post (re: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: Non-TMBG: That Wacky Ass Blair Witch! Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD TMBG: Chords to Maybe I Know TMBG: It's official! 2nd Austin Powers 2 sndtrck w/ TMBG!!!! Re: TMBG: Chords to Maybe I Know TMBG: National tour announcment TMBG:signing up?? Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Re: TMBG: The missing text from my last post (re: "On Earth My Nina") TMBG: Peter Stampfel Re: TMBG: Peter Stampfel Peter Stampfel (was:TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD) TMBG: Welcome Adam TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam TMBG: For Science! Re: TMBG: For Science! Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG:signing up?? Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam TMBG: Children's Album Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. TMBG: Re: Children's Album Re: TMBG:signing up?? TMBG: Long Tall Weekend TMBG: Superfueled State Songs TMBG: A few new TMBG news items Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG:signing up?? Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Re: TMBG: Superfueled State Songs Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, okay. Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990723220226.24353.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:02:25 GMT I still love you. :) >i wrote: > > >>then how come you responded to the question "were any other fingertips > >>not WRITTEN by the johns" with "are you KIDDING" and then a list of the > >>performers? it would seem that you were implying that they weren't > >>written by the johns, rather than leaving it to a given that they were. > > >and then the esteemed reverend kristina: > > >I'm sorry! Originally he had asked if there were any others not *sung* >by > >TMBG. So I gave him the list. I wasn't aware that he changed his >inquiry > >to "written", because the orginal inquiry was to which ones Brian Dewan > >*sang*. > >checking back, dexter's original inquiry was "were any fingertips not >done by the johns?" i assumed that by "done" he meant "write," as i also >assumed that brian dewan wrote and performed his own fingertips; although >looking back, it could be considered that he was asking which fingertips >were performed by other parties. > >at any rate, i retract my earlier comment and apologize; dexter didn't >use the word "written" as i claimed, and so i spoke a bit too soon >(something i often do). > > >peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > >jay. > >___________________________________________________________________ >Get the Internet just the way you want it. >Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! >Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <8fa3e4d2.24ca4e53@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:01:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The missing text from my last post (re: In a message dated 7/23/99 3:12:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: << Also consider Nina = Ann (possibly a reference to a certain Ana?). >> Maybe "On earth..." means underground...as in 6 feet down...Maybe Ana Ng died...or maybe its a different song about a woman named Nina who died (the "sitters down there mourning" would fit with that)...I like to think of it that way, even though I know John Linnell just thought of random words that sounded like Thunderbird backwards... Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:01:37 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Message-ID: <19990723.200139.2686.0.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau the revered kristina panos said, apparently to me: >I still love you. :) woah. despite what anyone says, this is a friendly list. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who estimates his on-topic posting to be about 4% total. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724004935.42830.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:49:35 GMT >the revered kristina panos said, apparently to me: > > >I still love you. :) > >woah. > >despite what anyone says, this is a friendly list. ;) > You bet your Johns! :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:00:16 -0300 Message-Id: <199907240100.WAA31271@privacy.nb.ca> From: Anonymous Sender Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: That Wacky Ass Blair Witch! Mike Leffel pointed out: > >Josh Buckland wrote earlier about the BLAIR WITCH project: > >I remember someone talking about this film not long ago, and I didn't > >think much of it untill I saw the advertisments today. Can someone tell me > >what it's about? > >But earlier than THAT, Josh Buckland wrote: > > >The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . > > >It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. > > > > > Let's all remember that...... Here, Buckland inserted in a response to what Leffel mentioned, responding to something he had written himself perhaps in order to distract from his own ignorace, and referring to himself in the 3rd person (and did Leffel mention the Pirate thread? Is this all Buckland knows? Didn't he say it was Carlyn who said all the bad things? Didn't anyone learn from past Buckland-isms to simply ignore him?): >But you will NEVER see Josh Buckland write: >"Aaarrgh, maties! I be Peg-Legged-Georgie, the infamous Toilet-Paper >supplyman of the globally feared Erika Crew! Aarrgh! > > Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland Then, Mike Leffel said: >FUNNY! You complain about offtopic, help to start the most recent >flamewar about offtopic, help to insult and alienate several list members, and >*then* you begin a new offtopic thread?! Buckland ignored this, and replied to a later part of the post with: > >Leffel wrote: > >What exactly _IS_ your game? Or does > >the Blair Witch project contain TMBG's famous "Where Your Eyes Don't > >Go?" > Game? There is no game. I am an avid fan of the horror genre. I have seen > some of the great rarities that some people only read about (I Met the > Feebles 6 times!). I own the unrated version of "Dead Alive", which was > damned hard to get ahold of. (I know that there are one or two better > versions, but those are a little TOO rare in America) As for the TMBG > significance? The Johns would have gotten there asses outta there had they > been in a real life situation similar to the Blair Witch Project. Now I'm writing: This is complete and utter nonsense. You defend your lack of an answer with a statement like "The Johns would sure be scared!" Go back under your stone, troll-boy! Then, Buckland quoted David Bowie, explained nothing of why he's such a pain in the ass to the list, and whined about how hard it is to talk to Leffel and eriKa about his hate and disrespect for the list: > *sigh* Weather (sic) or not I'm at fault, talking to you guys is > like trying to explain IP Hacking to a eighty-year-old man who has > just awakened from a fifty-year coma. What a great simile, Buckland. Perhaps you could drown the list out with your ignorance of netiquette. > I'm not sure how Erika or yourself ever got the idea that I was against > either of you in anyway at all. I dunno if you know it or not, but the > whole "Leffel is God" remark referes to a thread that went on while you were > gone. It went something to the affect of "Leffel is God, and the Johns are > Jesus and the Holy Spirit". You get the idea. And I never said that Erika > was bad, her groupies were bad, or the thread itself was bad. We were > poking fun at the pattern of posts at the time, and everyone assums that > means we are angry at the threads or mad because they are there. Yes, the > one remark that Carlyn made about unsubscribing because of the onslaught of > pirate posts WAS a display of dislike, we never said that the posts > shouldn't BE there. How, you ask, should we distinguish good threads from > bad threads? My answer: There are no good and bad threads (with the > exception of "What was everyone thinking just now"), only seperate > interests. So, Christ, people, let's just get along and try not to take > eachother so seriously. what garbage! I've seen more convincing arguments on the sides of busses! Really, Bucky, get a life! You tell everyone on the list who tells you anything that this is what they need to do, but you just keep on posting completely pointless messages trying to explain that you didn't say things you said. Do the list a favor and let it exist. You don't have to be disruptive just because you get bored with your own life, which must be very boring indeed. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:26:45 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Message-ID: <19990723.222648.2686.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau the revered kristina panos said, apparently to me: >> >I still love you. :) and i returned: >>woah. >> >>despite what anyone says, this is a friendly list. ;) she affirmed: >You bet your Johns! :) ack! any plans to defend my honor, captain, on this rather outright list? ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who hasn't felt like this since jen proposed to him. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:55:18 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Chords to Maybe I Know Message-ID: <19990723.195523.-662201.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Hello once again, I decided to try and figure out the chords to "Maybe I Know" from LTW, seeing as how They might have changed the chords a little from Leslie Gore's version and it might be nice to have an exact TMBG version. The only problem is I'm horrible at figuring them out. Can anyone out there help a little with this? Thanks, Garrett Here's the little that I do have already: * means I couldn't figure out the chord chorus: Gm Eb Maybe I know that she's been cheating Cm F Gm Maybe I know that she's been untrue Eb F Bb (Dm?)* But what can I do? Dm * I hear them whispering as I walk by * * * "She's gonna break his heart and make him cry" Bb F Bb F I know it's me they're talking about Bb F Bb * I bet they all think I'll never find out (chorus) Dm * My friends keep telling me that she's no good * * * "She isn't treating you the way she should" Bb F Bb F I feel so badly, that's all I can say Bb F Bb * Before my tears fall I just walk away (chorus) Bb Deep down inside she loves me F Though she may run around Gm I know someday she'll love me Eb * * Someday she'll settle down (chorus 2x) last chorus don't play last chord of chorus, end on Bb ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990723201802.006976a8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:18:02 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: It's official! 2nd Austin Powers 2 sndtrck w/ TMBG!!!! From RollingStone.com: A Reunited Bangles Heads Second "Austin Powers" Soundtrack The Bangles, Poe and They Might Be Giants Provide Another Shag The sequel to Austin Powers is getting a sequel soundtrack. Tongues twisted yet? Oh, behave, untwist, and pony up for a second soundtrack installment of Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, due out in October. Not quite equipped with the same star power of the near platinum prototype, which features Madonna, R.E.M. and Lenny Kravitz, the follow-up does usher in the first new material from a reunited Bangles, an original called "Get the Girl." Other highlights on the soundtrack -- the release of which will coincide with the home video and DVD release of the film -- include a Poe cover of the Go-Go's' "Our Lips Are Sealed," They Might Be Giants' "Dr. Evil," the Propellerheads' "Crash!" and the Lords of Acid's "Am I Sexy." Also included on the soundtrack will be Seventies-era material from the Monkees ("I'm a Believer"), Marvin Gaye ("Let's Get It On"), Steppenwolf ("Magic Carpet Ride") and the Guess Who's "American Woman." A Lenny Kravitz cover of "American Woman" appears on the first soundtrack. BLAIR R. FISCHER (July 23, 1999) ________________________________________________________ NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you? Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html ------------------------------ From: Carroll387@aol.com Message-ID: <78d4717.24ca8e6f@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:35:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Chords to Maybe I Know In a message dated 7/23/99 7:54:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, garrett27@juno.com writes: << Hello once again, I decided to try and figure out the chords to "Maybe I Know" from LTW, seeing as how They might have changed the chords a little from Leslie Gore's version and it might be nice to have an exact TMBG version. The only problem is I'm horrible at figuring them out. Can anyone out there help a little with this? Thanks, Garrett >> Here ya go Garrett. I got this off Olga...hope it helps you. have fun! :) ~Carroll387 Chorus: Dm Bb Maybe I know that he's been a-cheating Gm C Dm Maybe I know that he's been untrue Bb C F [1,2,4: C 3,5,6: A7] But what can I do [3,5,6: whoa-oa] Verse 1: Am D Am I hear them whisperin' when I walk by Em F6 G "He's gonna break her heart and make her cry" F C F C I know it's me they're talkin' about F C F A7 I bet they all think I'll never find out whoa-oa but [repeat chorus] Verse 2: My friends are tellin' me that he's no good He isn't treating me the way he should He really loves me, that's all I can say Before my tears fall, I just walk away oh-oh but [repeat chorus] Bridge: F [N.C.] Deep down inside he loves me C [N.C.] Though he may run around Dm [N.C.] Deep down inside he loves me Bb [N.C.] C A7 Someday he'll settle down [repeat chorus] [repeat verse 2, first two lines instrumental] [repeat chorus 2X; fade] ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:43:56 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: National tour announcment Message-ID: <13797-3799367C-14753@postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> www.theymightbegiants.com stated: This is an OFFICIAL rumor! In the months of September and October, the band will be performing in California, WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! I'll get my first chance to see Them live! Man, I can't wait till September or October! -dex <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>"You can't grow, you don't have enough room." <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: TMBGnMP@aol.com Message-ID: <7b2db3b2.24ca90c0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:45:04 EDT Subject: TMBG:signing up?? Hi everyone, I don't write much, but I have a question...I was reading the transcript of the Yahoo chat and then on Theymightbegiants.com about signing up on TMBG.com for an e-mail list. Can anyone give me more info on this and how do actually sign up? Thanx a lot. :) I was at the show on Mon too. (which was great--the best one I have seen! :) ) I think it was Jordan who wrote about getting some free t-shirts and a promo cd of LTW...where were they--I didn't see anyone giving things out :( ?? TMBGnMP@aol.com :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724035343.7291.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:53:43 GMT >the revered kristina panos said, apparently to me: > > >> >I still love you. :) > >and i returned: > > >>woah. > >> > >>despite what anyone says, this is a friendly list. ;) > >she affirmed: > > >You bet your Johns! :) > >ack! any plans to defend my honor, captain, on this rather outright >list? ;) To the highest mountain, Admiral! :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:28:25 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Message-ID: <19990724.002829.9782.14.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" jay squawked: >ack! any plans to defend my honor, captain, on this rather outright list? ;) Yeah, I probably should, huh? Well, here goes. Um. Hey... don't declare your love for my parrot. He's taken. Um. Whatever. Nevermind, knock yourself out. >jay, who hasn't felt like this since jen proposed to him. Cripes, I have to beat the girls off you with a stick! Soon I'll be forgotten... ever-sincere, eriKa, yeah, it's off-topic, but bite me. I don't care anymore. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724043316.56172.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:33:15 GMT Oops! Sorry. Wrong Captain. :) >jay squawked: > >ack! any plans to defend my honor, captain, on this rather outright >list? ;) > >Yeah, I probably should, huh? Well, here goes. Um. Hey... don't declare >your love for my parrot. He's taken. Um. Whatever. Nevermind, knock >yourself out. > > >jay, who hasn't felt like this since jen proposed to him. > >Cripes, I have to beat the girls off you with a stick! Soon I'll be >forgotten... > >ever-sincere, >eriKa, >yeah, it's off-topic, but bite me. I don't care anymore. > >"It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be >cool." - Ben Folds >"Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden > >___________________________________________________________________ >Get the Internet just the way you want it. >Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! >Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003a01bed59e$630b8140$203a9cd1@max162.International.1> From: "Weissman" Subject: Re: TMBG: The missing text from my last post (re: "On Earth My Nina") Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:33:03 -0400 Actually, and sorry to nitpick here, "nina" really isn't Spanish for little girl. If John was going for the "little girl" meaning, it should have a tilde over the second "n". I don't know if nina means something in Spanish without a tilde.. Or it could be the result of good ol' Americanization... Eh, whatever. -----Original Message----- From: MuseKJ@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 3:11 PM Subject: TMBG: The missing text from my last post (re: "On Earth My Nina") >This is what was missing out of my last post. > >Also, I posted the following to the newsgroup as well: > >I looked up the name Nina in my "meaning of names" book, and it says the >following: >Nina: "Grace" (Hebrew). A form of Nan or Ann. Nina in Spanish merely means >"little girl." I've heard that John L. is a fan of Spanish novels -- maybe he >meant the word in a Spanish sense, instead of just as a female name (or both). >Just a bit of supposition over here :-) > > Also consider Nina = Ann (possibly a reference to a certain Ana?). > >Karen Riley >MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990724165358.007b0430@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:53:58 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Peter Stampfel GhostKrabb@webtv.net wrote: >Who's Peter Stampfel? Peter Stampfel is an awful NYC singer. His only redeeming feature is that he provides Kevin Bacon-style links from TMBG to Monty Python: 1. Peter Stampfel sang on Apollo 18 and also performed a pathetic cover version of The Rutles' "Ouch!" (on the album "Rutles Highway Revisited"). 2. The Rutles' Eric Idle was a member of Monty Python. ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:30:57 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: Peter Stampfel Message-ID: <18252-37996BB1-17324@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, I went and found out more on this Peter Stampfel guy. It turns out that he records for Rounder (TMBG's current label). This page is rather informative: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=B2147 It's also got a complete discography of his which includes his work on Apollo 18. -dex <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>"You can't grow, you don't have enough room." <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: "Harvey Bojarsky" Subject: Peter Stampfel (was:TMBG: Brian Dewan's new CD) Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:42:36 -0400 Message-ID: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) writes: >>Who's Peter Stampfel? Peter Stampfel is co-founder of the Holy Modal Rounders, and an original member of the Fugs. The Rounders recorded their first album the day before JFK was shot, and their most recent album was released this past week (Too Much Fun on the Rounder Label). Peter still performs in NYC and surrounding areas, either solo, with Gary Lucas (from Captain Beefheart) as the DuTels, or with Steve Weber, the other co-founder of the Holy Modal Rounders, as the Holy Modal Rounders. The Rounders are probably best known for "Boobs A Lot", a minor hit in the early 70s and a Dr Demento favourite, and for "The Bird Song" from the Easy Rider soundtrack. Peter was also featured on one of the Hello CDs. HB ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3799AC99.68EA9E42@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:08:03 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Welcome Adam From: Adam Shoop wrote: >Ok, I've only been on this list a couple of days, so far I've enjoyed >most of the content, and it appears that I'm fitting into the teen-age >group of the list, but I can already tell a pet peeve of mine is going to >be when people really start to drift from TMBG, to completely off-topical >subjects. Please stay on track, ghhr hrr hrr! Welcome to the list Adam. I have some bad news for you regarding the off topic posts. That is: you haven't seen anything yet. There will be days when you have to search for TMBG content between the endless posts about random stuff. I have tried to fight this for years but I haven't had much luck yet. When you complain about it you are certain to get responses like, "if you don't like it then unsubscribe from the list." (Unbelievable!) Despite the fact that they can talk about "Eyes Wide Shut" anywhere on the Net, they insist on doing it here. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:32:15 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ncegp$1g81$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Bongo wrote in message news:3799AC99.68EA9E42@pacificnet.net... > > Welcome to the list Adam. I have some bad news for you regarding the off topic > posts. That is: you haven't seen anything yet. There will be days when you have to search > for TMBG content between the endless posts about random stuff. I have tried to fight this > for years but I haven't had much luck yet. When you complain about it you are certain to > get responses like, "if you don't like it then unsubscribe from the list." > (Unbelievable!) Despite the fact that they can talk about "Eyes Wide Shut" anywhere on the > Net, they insist on doing it here. Yes, why not even 2 days ago, some moron had the nerve to start an off-topic thread on "The Blair Witch Project"! I mean, can you believe it? Actually, I myself enjoy most of the off-topic threads, since for some strange reason most TMBG fans have similar tastes in music/movie/television . However, the off-topic threads hardly ever completely take over the list, and most posters tend to show moderation and try to keep on topic. Anyway, Welcome to the list Adam. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724133118.25193.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: For Science! Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:31:18 GMT Does anyone know who Lt. Anne Moore is, who sings the female part of the rock opera, "For Science"? Kristina "Answers, dammit! I want answers!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <70dd0c57.24cb1c56@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:40:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science! I'd love to help you, but is Lt. Moore really a person, or merely a made up name? Mike Remember, the only better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <1432cee2.24cb1c05@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:39:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Adam, I too am new to the list, but I've realized, hey, go with the flow. I actually kind of like the off topic stuff, but it would be nice for a little more about TMBG. Oh well, anyway, this goes out to all of you: Has anyone heard anything about a new CD being released? And no, I'm not talking about LTW or any MP3 stuff. If you can, help me out. Mike Remember, the only better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:25:12 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nchka$1j12$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam wrote in message news:1432cee2.24cb1c05@aol.com... > Adam, I too am new to the list, but I've realized, hey, go with the flow. I > actually kind of like the off topic stuff, but it would be nice for a little > more about TMBG. Oh well, anyway, this goes out to all of you: Has anyone > heard anything about a new CD being released? And no, I'm not talking about > LTW or any MP3 stuff. If you can, help me out. okay, this was taken from the yahoo chat transcript that Aleigh made: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/3651/tmbg_chat.html ------------ Q: will there be a major label TMBG release in the future? FLANS: hopefully soon, but we gotta sort out a deal Q: with the release of ltw, would you consider releasing more old dial-a-songs and demos as another mp3 album? FLANS: we're a little concerned about saturating the market with things (maybe it's too late) but we've got this mp3, linnell's disc and a children's record all slated to come otu before our next "rock" record (a lot of which we have already recorded) so there will be no shortage of STUFF. Q: for linnell, when will the state songs album be available? LINNELL: the release date for state songs is in late october ---------- So Linnell's solo album will be out in Oct., then the children's album after that, then the next studio album. My optomistic prediction is that the children's album will be released this winter, and the next "rock" album late next spring. -Jay ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <8d963eb4.24cb24e9@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:17:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Thanks Jay... Mike And remember, the only thing better than food, is free food!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724175726.23738.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:57:24 PDT Adam Shoop wrote: >All the talk of people seeing TMBG live (and me not), has really got >me >listening to Severe Tire Damage quite a bit to compensate. There are >a >couple of tracks however that I'm kind of disappointed with live. >However, before you read my complaints, I'd like you to know that I >enjoy >the album, and find several tracks to be performed better live as >opposed >to their studio recorded originals. XTC vs. Adam Ant for instance, >is a >little bit dirtier sounding, and it suits the track. And Spider is >in a >lower key or something, because it sounds much spookier than the >original Well, I've already reviewed _Severe Tire Damage_, but my opinions have changed a little bit since then, and here are some of my thoughts on the album: As I've said before, I like to think of _Severe Tire Damage_ as a sort of "alternate versions" album, showcasing versions of songs that have changed over time, particularly in live performances. The tracks that I think succeeded in this respect are: Istanbul: I'm not sure if I like it as much as the original (the TMBG original, that is), but that's not really the point. It has an interesting and fun new sound that still fits with the song. Overall, it's a good rearrangement of the song. Particle Man: I was a bit skeptical when I heard that They were including this on the album, since the _Flood_ version doesn't do much for me. The changes to this one were excellent, though, providing a zydeco sound that differs quite a bit from the original plodding version. She's Actual Size: Once again, a song that is fairly lethargic in its original incarnation becomes fairly rocking when performed live. This is possibly the best track on the album, although it really depends on my mood. Meet James Ensor: Okay, it's not a concert version, and its production value is far from the _John Henry_ version, but it's a very amusing performance. I'm fairly indifferent toward two tracks. I don't mind these songs being on the album, but they're not really spectacular. These two songs are: Spider: I like it, but I wouldn't mind terribly if They had left it off, especially if that had meant that another _Apollo 18_ song would have been included (more on this later). S-E-X-X-Y: At least They didn't start the album with this one again. It's not as fancy or polished as the _Factory Showroom_ version, but it's easier on the ears, and it has an amusing introduction. These songs are good choices, but they could have been improved (by using different versions, perhaps): Why Does The Sun Shine?: This is a weak example of the fast version. For one thing, Flans messes up the lyrics, and not even in an amusing manner (no noxol or estrogen here). Why didn't They record this song at several concerts, and pick the best? Ana Ng: They've done numerous arrangements of this one in concert, and, although I haven't heard all that many of them, I wouldn't be surprised to find that this was one of the worst. John slurs the lyrics, and the bridge isn't particularly interesting. Besides, They left out the best part of the _Live!! NYC_ version: "The sound of the drums! I hear the drums!" She's An Angel: When I first heard the _Live!! NYC_ version of this song, I loved it. When I heard it on _Severe Tire Damage_, though, I wasn't too fond of it. Is it because of an inferior mix, or was I just tired of it? Also, as on _Ana Ng_, They cut out one of the best parts of the original mix. I think that the album could have done without these tracks: Birdhouse In Your Soul: It's an excellent song, and it would be a necessary track on a greatest hits album, but it's a bit out of place on a live album, mostly because the live version isn't sufficiently different from the _Flood_ version. XTC Vs. Adam Ant: What is it with this song? It's not a terribly bad song, just a mediocre one. Why include a mediocre song on two albums, both of them having a large selection of songs to choose from, though? Why not choose an excellent song? As for the mix, it's changed from the _Factory Showroom_ version in a few interesting ways (I think that the string quartet was wasted on the original version of this song), but not really enough to merit its inclusion on a live album. Till My Head Falls Off: Wow! They changed an entire WORD! THAT certainly marks it for inclusion on another album, doesn't it? I like the fact that They included reworked versions of tracks from all of Their studio albums. I think that some albums (the first two albums and _John Henry_) were unfairly represented by only one track, while others (_Flood_ and _Factory Showroom_) received too much representation. I suppose this was because the three _Flood_ songs were concert staples, and _Factory Showroom_ was still the new album at the time of the Severe Tire Damage Tour. Still, I would have liked to see a little more balance. Here are just a few things that I think could have been done (not that what I think really matters, but, if we didn't post what we thought, this would be a fairly boring list): "Shoehorn With Teeth," both a personal favourite and a concert staple, could have been included, making two tracks from _Lincoln_. Including the CD-fast-forward version might have made the inclusion worthwhile. Something from the early drum machine show days might have been nice. I realize that the point of the album wasn't to show how the show evolved, but _Severe Tire Damage_ seems weighted a bit too much toward more recent songs. The album ends with the opening chords to "Dig My Grave." Why didn't They just include the whole song? I realize that this would have made three _Apollo 18_ songs, but that's only if you count the brief "Spider" as a full song. There was only ONE _John Henry_ track, and it wasn't even a concert version. I'm glad it was there, but it could have been complemented by something like "Spy," which is frequently played live. Including "I Am Not Your Broom" in the improvsational section of this number would have been a nice way to release a song that might otherwise never make it to CD. "James K. Polk" would have been a better choice for a _Factory Showroom_ song than "XTC Vs. Adam Ant" or "Till My Head Falls Off." >Random Severe Tire Damage thought...my explanation for why they would >put >Doctor Worm ahead of the Severe Tire Damage theme. It was just a >single >that was included on the album, since it hadn't been available in any >other form (as far as I know), so it's the first track, followed by >the >Theme... which actually opens the album's live recorded content. But not ALL of the rest of the album was recorded live, was it? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "There is no right or wrong" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724180130.62355.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:signing up?? Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:01:29 PDT TMBGnMP wrote: >I don't write much, but I have a question...I was reading the >transcript >of >the Yahoo chat and then on Theymightbegiants.com about signing up on > >TMBG.com >for an e-mail list. Can anyone give me more info on this and how do > >actually sign up? I think you're thinking of the Info Club, which is by regular mail, not e-mail. You can sign up for it by e-mail, though. Just write to the address shown at tmbg.com. (Does anyone remember that address?) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Integrity Project!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724180448.26830.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:04:47 PDT Jay G. wrote: >Q: will there be a major label TMBG release in the future? >FLANS: hopefully soon, but we gotta sort out a deal > >Q: with the release of ltw, would you consider releasing >more old dial-a-songs and demos as another mp3 album? >FLANS: we're a little concerned about saturating the market >with things (maybe it's too late) but we've got this mp3, linnell's >disc and a children's record all slated to come otu >before our next "rock" record (a lot of which we have already >recorded) so >there will be no shortage of STUFF. No mention of _Superfueled Freaksicle_, though. >Q: for linnell, when will the state songs album be available? >LINNELL: the release date for state songs is in late october I suppose that no one here will know this for sure, but do you think that _State Songs_ will be available in regular music stores? How wide is the distribution for Rounder Records? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199907241812.OAA14148@newman.concentric.net> From: "Linda Schultz" Subject: TMBG: Children's Album Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:06:50 -0500 This children's album. Is it They might be Giants or one of the Johns? What a great way to introduce my little neece to TMBG. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379A0425.E845A5ED@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:21:25 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Istanbul: I'm not sure if I like it as much as the original (the TMBG > original, that is), but that's not really the point. It has an interesting > and fun new sound that still fits with the song. Overall, it's a good > rearrangement of the song. They tend to nail this one live. It's much more upbeat, and now, with the yelling and stuff at the end, to make it really crazy, it's even better. > Particle Man: I was a bit skeptical when I heard that They were including > this on the album, since the _Flood_ version doesn't do much for me. The > changes to this one were excellent, though, providing a zydeco sound that > differs quite a bit from the original plodding version. "The Sign" would have been a nice touch, though. I was at the show where this one was recorded, and right before it (I forget if this part made it onto STD) Linnell let out a huge sigh, as if to say "Oh yeah, *that* song..." > She's Actual Size: Once again, a song that is fairly lethargic in its > original incarnation becomes fairly rocking when performed live. This is > possibly the best track on the album, although it really depends on my mood. I could live without the intro, really. What gives? > Spider: I like it, but I wouldn't mind terribly if They had left it off, > especially if that had meant that another _Apollo 18_ song would have been > included (more on this later). Part of what makes this a great live song is the visuals, which, of course, you don't get on the album. Watching Flans parade around stage holding his mic stand upside-down is kind of amusing. > Ana Ng: They've done numerous arrangements of this one in concert, and, > although I haven't heard all that many of them, I wouldn't be surprised to > find that this was one of the worst. John slurs the lyrics, and the bridge > isn't particularly interesting. Besides, They left out the best part of the > _Live!! NYC_ version: "The sound of the drums! I hear the drums!" They really should have used the fast version from the fall, 1997 tour. This one drags... > She's An Angel: When I first heard the _Live!! NYC_ version of this song, I > loved it. When I heard it on _Severe Tire Damage_, though, I wasn't too > fond of it. Is it because of an inferior mix, or was I just tired of it? > Also, as on _Ana Ng_, They cut out one of the best parts of the original > mix. "Like now." I think this song reached its best live performances in the spring of 1995 (for those who have the 3/15/95 "Nostalgia Night" tape, you know what I'm talking about) They'd do a long intro (kind of like the intro to the slow Meet James Ensor) while Flans tuned his guitar, and then they'd do the first verse *really* slow. And at the very end, Brian would come in and the tempo would almost double, then slow down again for the second verse. This is the way I heard it on the John Henry tour and it was great (a little confusing at first because I wasn't sure what song they were playing, but once the lyrics got going... :) > XTC Vs. Adam Ant: What is it with this song? It's not a terribly bad song, > just a mediocre one. Why include a mediocre song on two albums, both of > them having a large selection of songs to choose from, though? Why not > choose an excellent song? As for the mix, it's changed from the _Factory > Showroom_ version in a few interesting ways (I think that the string quartet > was wasted on the original version of this song), but not really enough to > merit its inclusion on a live album. I think every live show they've ever done and every CD they've ever released could do without this song. > "Shoehorn With Teeth," both a personal favourite and a concert staple, could > have been included, making two tracks from _Lincoln_. Including the > CD-fast-forward version might have made the inclusion worthwhile. They really aren't doing justice to this song anymore, though. I think it sounds kind of stupid with the keyboard instead of the accordion and horns. But if they were going to include a concert version, I think the best, which they unfortunately, didn't tape themselves, was the Cleveland performance on 10/23/97. They stepped back from their mics and let the audience sing most of it. Quite a cool effect, and ideal for something trying to capture the feel of a live show. > There was only ONE _John Henry_ track, and it wasn't even a concert version. > I'm glad it was there, but it could have been complemented by something > like "Spy," which is frequently played live. Including "I Am Not Your > Broom" in the improvsational section of this number would have been a nice > way to release a song that might otherwise never make it to CD. I dunno... The Spy improv is... well... improv... it's only really interesting when it changes. This is why I skip the last minute of the track on John Henry. If TMBG's improvs were more along the lines of what Fruvous did (i.e. amusing and not strictly instrumental) it might be appropriate (i.e. "Lowest Highest Point") -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:34:56 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nd088$1to6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Children's Album Linda Schultz wrote in message news:199907241812.OAA14148@newman.concentric.net... > This children's album. Is it They might be Giants or one of the Johns? > What a great way to introduce my little neece to TMBG. It's being released as the band They might be Giants, and the tentative title of it is "No!" -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:33:43 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nd060$1tkj$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG:signing up?? Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:19990724180130.62355.qmail@hotmail.com... > TMBGnMP wrote: > >I don't write much, but I have a question...I was reading the >transcript > >of > >the Yahoo chat and then on Theymightbegiants.com about signing up on > > >TMBG.com > >for an e-mail list. Can anyone give me more info on this and how do > > >actually sign up? > > I think you're thinking of the Info Club, which is by regular mail, not > e-mail. You can sign up for it by e-mail, though. Just write to the > address shown at tmbg.com. (Does anyone remember that address?) Nope, it definately says email list. check out http://www.theymightbegiants.com if you don't believe me. Anyway, I'm guessing it's the same address you mail to for both, and that is: TMBGDot@aol.com -Jay ------------------------------ From: Irish@Cuba-Mo-Net.com Message-Id: <199907241829.OAA63742@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: 24 Jul 1999 13:35:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Long Tall Weekend Hello, I used to be on the list at one time but due to some unfortunate circumstances, had to leave. I remember there was some discussion about making Long Tall Weekend available to some of us poor, unfortunate souls who don't have an MP3 player. I don't know what method was decided upon. If someone could please make a cd copy for me, I'd appreciate it and certainly would pay all costs involved including shipping. If you can help, please email me at this address and not to the list since I no longer belong. Thanks in advance. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:44:17 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7nd0pq$1ueb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Superfueled State Songs Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:19990724180448.26830.qmail@hotmail.com... > Jay G. wrote: > >FLANS: we're a little concerned about saturating the market > >with things (maybe it's too late) but we've got this mp3, linnell's > >disc and a children's record all slated to come otu > >before our next "rock" record (a lot of which we have already >recorded) so > >there will be no shortage of STUFF. > > No mention of _Superfueled Freaksicle_, though. I'm pretty sure Elektra still owns the rights to the bsides. Anyway, if they do release it, it will be after the next studio album. > >Q: for linnell, when will the state songs album be available? > >LINNELL: the release date for state songs is in late october > > I suppose that no one here will know this for sure, but do you think that > _State Songs_ will be available in regular music stores? How wide is the > distribution for Rounder Records? I think Rounder Records is a fairly big company, and distribution will be rather well, though I'm not sure. It also depends on if the record stores want to carry it. At the very least, you should be able to have your local store order it in for you, or you could get it online. -Jay ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <9f7a7e5.24cb67f5@aol.com> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:03:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: A few new TMBG news items Hi everyone: Didn't see the following things on here yet, so I figured I'd fill you in: The Pollstar website (www.pollstar.com) has TMBG playing at The Great Hall in Minneapolis, MN on 10/8/99. Much thanks to jhawkins@usit.net who previously posted this info to the alt.music.tmbg newsgroup. The ABC show Brave New World (which contains a theme song and other music by TMBG) will air it's first segment at 10 PM EDT on July 29th. Got the time off the main page of www.tmbg.com. Karen "An Operator, Who's Standing By" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990724124853.006a003c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:48:53 -0700 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. At 10:57 AM 7/24/99 PDT, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Meet James Ensor: Okay, it's not a concert version, and its production value >is far from the _John Henry_ version, but it's a very amusing performance. Although, IMO, amusing doesn't necessarily mean "good". This is one I always skip. Actually, when listening to STD, I tend to skip almost everything. >Why Does The Sun Shine?: This is a weak example of the fast version. For >one thing, Flans messes up the lyrics, and not even in an amusing manner (no >noxol or estrogen here). Why didn't They record this song at several >concerts, and pick the best? I like the opening bit on the STD version better than the one on Live!! NYC. Really, I don't think they planned out recording STD too well. Heck, why didn't they just overdub the vocals like they did with "They Got Lost"? ;-) >Ana Ng: They've done numerous arrangements of this one in concert, and, >although I haven't heard all that many of them, I wouldn't be surprised to >find that this was one of the worst. John slurs the lyrics, and the bridge >isn't particularly interesting. Besides, They left out the best part of the >_Live!! NYC_ version: "The sound of the drums! I hear the drums!" I think that was the only good part of the Live!! NYC version. I agree that this is probably my least favorite performances of "Ana Ng" out of the ones I've heard. I also agree with Lawrence that a faster recording would've been better. >I think that the album could have done without these tracks: > >Birdhouse In Your Soul: It's an excellent song, and it would be a necessary >track on a greatest hits album, but it's a bit out of place on a live album, >mostly because the live version isn't sufficiently different from the >_Flood_ version. I seem to remember reading that they played this song numerous times when recording Live!! NYC. (What was it? 4 times? 6 times?) >Till My Head Falls Off: Wow! They changed an entire WORD! THAT certainly >marks it for inclusion on another album, doesn't it? I think it's a good live recording though, and I like the solo more. What kind of effects box is Flans using there (and throughout the song)? >Something from the early drum machine show days might have been nice. I >realize that the point of the album wasn't to show how the show evolved, but >_Severe Tire Damage_ seems weighted a bit too much toward more recent songs. I completely agree. The fact that "Don't Let's Start" wasn't on there is criminal, but at least they didn't use the version from Live!! NYC. (shudders) >There was only ONE _John Henry_ track, and it wasn't even a concert version. > I'm glad it was there, but it could have been complemented by something >like "Spy," which is frequently played live. I dunno, I think having a 9 minute track like "Spy" on there would probably disrupt the flow. Most of the improv bits on performances of "Spy" really suck for the most part too (completely MHO). >"James K. Polk" would have been a better choice for a _Factory Showroom_ >song than "XTC Vs. Adam Ant" or "Till My Head Falls Off." I was really hoping to hear "The Bells Are Ringing" (w/ vibraphone), which they recorded at the Mercury Lounge but didn't use... >But not ALL of the rest of the album was recorded live, was it? Even the live parts weren't all live. :-) -Adam, who thinks a live album should be truly live, not a studio album with crowd noise :-) ________________________________________________________ NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you? Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724195840.82302.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:58:39 PDT Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Particle Man: I was a bit skeptical when I heard that They were > > >including > > this on the album, since the _Flood_ version doesn't do much for > > me. > The > > changes to this one were excellent, though, providing a zydeco > > sound >that > > differs quite a bit from the original plodding version. > >"The Sign" would have been a nice touch, though. True, but there might have been legal reasons that prevented this from being placed on the album. (Actually, I don't think there would have been any problem as long as the Johns credited Ace of Base, but I don't know for sure.) > > There was only ONE _John Henry_ track, and it wasn't even a > > concert >version. > > I'm glad it was there, but it could have been complemented by > > >something > > like "Spy," which is frequently played live. Including "I Am Not > > >Your > > Broom" in the improvsational section of this number would have > > been >a nice > > way to release a song that might otherwise never make it to CD. > >I dunno... The Spy improv is... well... improv... it's only really > >interesting when it changes. Yes, but it would be one of these changed versions that would have made it to _Severe Tire Damage_ (hopefully). >This is why I skip the last minute of the track on John Henry. I really don't like the improv section either (especially not as it appears on _John Henry_), but I can't think of any other _John Henry_ song that really gets anything out of the live treatment. This could be because much of _John Henry_ was recorded as a live band. Maybe that's why They steered away from _John Henry_ tracks on the live album. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "No, John, I will not sweep for you" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724200838.4490.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG:signing up?? Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:08:38 PDT Jay G. wrote: >Nope, it definately says email list. check out >http://www.theymightbegiants.com if you don't believe me. Anyway, >I'm >guessing it's the same address you mail to for both, and that is: >TMBGDot@aol.com You're right. I sent mail to Operator Dot asking about this elusive list. If she replies, I'll let you know what she says about it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Operators are going home" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:13:10 -1000 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Welcome Adam Jay sez: >Yes, why not even 2 days ago, some moron had the nerve to start >an off-topic thread on "The Blair Witch Project"! I mean, can you >believe it? Actually, I myself enjoy most of the off-topic threads, >since for some strange reason most TMBG fans have similar >tastes in music/movie/television . However, the off-topic >threads hardly ever completely take over the list, and most >posters tend to show moderation and try to keep on topic. >Anyway, Welcome to the list Adam. Well, the problem, is there isn't a *whole* lot of TMBG content to discuss. So we get bored, and we discuss things that we like and want to talk about... and yes, it is true that we all seem to have similar interests. That's what I like about this list. The bottom line is, if you don't wanna read it, no one is forcing you... just hit 'Delete'. No one's hurtin' anyone. Welcome Adam :) Courtney L . Patubo - cpatubo@sirius.com toonie@tmbg.org * ICQ #3762743 http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724201025.90744.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Superfueled State Songs Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:10:24 PDT Jay G. wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message >news:19990724180448.26830.qmail@hotmail.com... > > No mention of _Superfueled Freaksicle_, though. > >I'm pretty sure Elektra still owns the rights to the bsides. I think I heard somewhere that the Johns bought these rights, but I don't know if this is true or not. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Don't make me kill you again" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379A1E9F.52C82FC6@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:14:23 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Adam Tyner wrote: > I think it's a good live recording though, and I like the solo more. What > kind of effects box is Flans using there (and throughout the song)? The "effects box" is called "Eric Schermerhorn." :) > I was really hoping to hear "The Bells Are Ringing" (w/ vibraphone), which > they recorded at the Mercury Lounge but didn't use... But The Bells... it's... it wasn't that good live. They really seemed to hate playing it, but almost with the attitude of "We're playing this because we feel we have to do it once." They left out the drum solo at the end, and Linnell wasn't really into the vocals. Plus it's totally unrepresentative of their live show (although She's an Angel was when the album was released, too) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <379A1FBC.77E2FFA0@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:19:08 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > I really don't like the improv section either (especially not as it appears > on _John Henry_), but I can't think of any other _John Henry_ song that > really gets anything out of the live treatment. This could be because much > of _John Henry_ was recorded as a live band. Maybe that's why They steered > away from _John Henry_ tracks on the live album. What?! What about Snail Shell, Sleeping in the Flowers, and NyQuil Driver? Very different live, and lots of energy in them. Get the horns in there for Sleeping and... actually, I wonder why they *did* leave it off STD? It was played at most of the Fall '97 shows... And End of the Tour is *amazing* live, but would be terrible on STD. Mainly because of the way Linnell is during it... just totally conveys the emotion of the song and would be lost without the visuals. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724181836.75599.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, okay. Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:18:36 PDT Alright. If everyone feels so strongly about me, I will unsubscribe, just tell me how to do so. Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990724203224.9281.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants, etc. Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:32:23 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >Even the live parts weren't all live. :-) > >-Adam, who thinks a live album should be truly live, not a studio >album >with crowd noise :-) I think I might have to agree here. I didn't mind there being studio tracks on there ("Doctor Worm" and the theme, for instance), but some of those remixed live recordings sounded rather awkward. Take the end of "WDTSS?", for instance. That "The Sun, ladies and gentlemen" is almost certainly from another recording (probably _Live!! NYC_). Besides, there wasn't even very much crowd noise, just a little bit of cheering before and after some songs. (The Apes tracks, which were, I believe, recorded by audience members, are an exception to this.) -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "And the crowd goes wild!" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-25 ******************************