Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 5 Monday, 5 July 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: To all the newbies I've loved before... -Reply TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] TMBG: Seti hacked TMBG: Re:To all the newbies I've loved before... -Re-Reply TMBG: When did you start TMBG? Re: TMBG: youngest members TMBG: Re: To all the newbies I've loved before... -Re-Reply TMBG: open server test (ignore) TMBG: open server test (ignore) TMBG: open server test (ignore) TMBG: open server test (ignore) TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] Non-TMBG: Great show in San Antonio tonight TMBG: Scooby Dooby B-52!! TMBG: I Palindrome I non TMBG: sonic youth gear truck stolen Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:34:00 +0000 Subject: TMBG: To all the newbies I've loved before... -Reply I'm sorry. but is this person related to Dilbert2000?! Richard >>> "augiewan@thespeakeasy.com" 2/July/1999 10:12pm >>> Hi all, I'm NOT the only one who just joined!!!! Yeahhh!! :) Welcome one and all. This is only my second post because I just signed up last night. I think this list could become very interesting, but you probably won't get much of a response until tonight. It seems most of us are nocturnal beasts, and so the list becomes more active at night. This is true with most lists, but this one still seems to be in it's infancy. WE MUST UNITE! Well, I guess I just mean, please post when something comes to your mind. If you don't post, the next guy (or gal) won't and it will become a deafeningly silent. :( TTFN, AugieWan _______________________________________ AugieWan - The Beloved, The Hated... augiewan@thespeakeasy.com http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan -Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 07:54:23 -0400 From: Whiplash Message-ID: <377F4B6E.42B2E287@hotmail.com> Organization: AT&T WorldNet Services Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] > i get the impression that > even people who despise the show may enjoy this movie. Hmmm. I love the show (it's one of the few things I find amusing on television) but hated the movie. I have learned that the South Park brand of humor is best viewed in half hour increments only. More than that, and it gets painful. Especially when every seventh word in the movie is a swear word of some sort. The joke was funny at first... it wore thin VERY quickly. ~Whip PS. I did, however, enjoy the Akira spoof with Cartman and his V-Chip. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990704165730.19507.rocketmail@web219.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 09:57:30 -0700 (PDT) From: KRS Tyler Subject: TMBG: Seti hacked um something has happened to seti's main site. it just says wanted: and then a picture of ALF. this isn't effecting team tmbg status but seti might not send data units out now. it will probably be gone soon so check it out while you can. http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990704175140.74613.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Josh Buckland Subject: TMBG: Re:To all the newbies I've loved before... -Re-Reply Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 10:51:40 PDT >I'm sorry. but is this person related to Dilbert2000?! >Richard Hell no! Gawd! And to think I used to be like that. He aks like he's opening the list up for the first time ever, doesn't he? Jeez. Hey, PAL! It's the 4th of July, there aren't alot of people gonna be on! Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:15:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: When did you start TMBG? I started TMBG at five, which could have been a mistake because I have Particle Man embedded into my brain where something useful like math or where I put my shoes sahould be. Oh well, I like Particle Man better anyway. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:49:38 -0400 From: Susan Thomas Message-ID: <377FACC2.A5A79EF@ee.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: youngest members Im 14 and my birthday was 4/12(try to top that!). I was introduced to TMBG when I say them on Tiny Toons. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:18:35 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <377FC19B.CC1F7335@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: To all the newbies I've loved before... -Re-Reply Josh Buckland wrote: > >I'm sorry. but is this person related to Dilbert2000?! > >Richard > > Hell no! Gawd! And to think I used to be like that. He aks like he's > opening the list up for the first time ever, doesn't he? Jeez. Hey, PAL! > It's the 4th of July, there aren't alot of people gonna be on! Just a note: The original message from Augiewan with this subject... It wasn't actually intended for this list... I think there was a message to that effect from him, but perhaps my hallucinations are not shared... It was intended for the TMBGofftopiclist, which is quite a list in and of itself. Bob "Defending no one, Saving Private Benjamin" Scott ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:32:29 GMT From: Brian Edmonds Message-ID: Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: open server test (ignore) Testing apparently open server news.tmbg.org... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:32:41 GMT From: Brian Edmonds Message-ID: Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: open server test (ignore) Testing apparently open server ussenterprise.ufp.org... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:32:30 GMT From: Brian Edmonds Message-ID: Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: open server test (ignore) Testing apparently open server news.tmbg.org... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:32:42 GMT From: Brian Edmonds Message-ID: Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: open server test (ignore) Testing apparently open server ussenterprise.ufp.org... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 22:55:24 GMT From: Ugliness Man Message-ID: <7loooq$57r$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Organization: Deja.com - Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] In article <377F4B6E.42B2E287@hotmail.com>, Whiplash wrote: > > i get the impression that > > even people who despise the show may enjoy this movie. > > Hmmm. I love the show (it's one of the few things I find amusing on > television) but hated the movie. I have learned that the South Park brand of > humor is best viewed in half hour increments only. More than that, and it > gets painful. to each his own, i suppose, i thought it was a perfect transition from the little screen to the big screen, much in the same way i thought that the beavis and butthead movie was worlds funnier than most episodes of the show (but "The Great Cornholio" is still one of the funniest 12 minutes i've ever seen on TV). now i'm really hoping for a simpsons movie. i think it would also be great to do a live-action simpsons movie, ala Flintstones, but i have a feeling that won't happen. either way, Kelsey Grammar has to be Sideshow Bob. if the live-action thing did happen, i'd love to see him with that hair. > Especially when every seventh word in the movie is a swear > word of some sort. The joke was funny at first... it wore thin VERY quickly. well, yeah, because it wasn't really intended to be a joke from beginning to end. the initial shock of the kids swearing a blue streak when they came out of the theatre, that was amusing. then it was just a reality, and not intended to be a joke. i know ppl who swear like that or worse in every day life, and it's never been funny, i just got used to it. > PS. I did, however, enjoy the Akira spoof with Cartman and his V-Chip. unfortunately, sailor moon is the only anime/manga i've had the pleasure of experiencing at this point, so i didn't notice them. -- - UgM - "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 18:32:57 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377FEF29.C01D1482@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool [was Re: TMBG Demo Tape mp3s] Ugliness Man wrote: > > In article <377F4B6E.42B2E287@hotmail.com>, > Whiplash wrote: > > Hmmm. I love the show (it's one of the few things I find amusing on > > television) but hated the movie. I have learned that the South Park > brand of > > humor is best viewed in half hour increments only. More than that, > and it > > gets painful. > now i'm really hoping for a > simpsons movie. In my opinion, in the world of cartoons and TV Series, movies kill. Why? Because if there's a special energy in a show, some hollywood nitwit will ignore it and instead pump lots and lots of 'mainstream' into it so people OTHER than the fans of the show will see it. One could argue that movies tend to come far later than the show's peak of popularity, and that too is true. Of course, they could also come out DURING a show's popularity, to further milk the cash cow that will run one day swiftly away. Moo. I will not even speak of Batman. That poor vigilante. (weeps for character integrety. weeps for clark kent. Weeps for Urine man) NIPPLES ON HIS COSTUME?! DEAR FREAKING CRAP! > i think it would also be great to do a live-action > simpsons movie, ala Flintstones, (quiet smile, stifles screams) > but i have a feeling that won't > happen. I hope not! Now, a live action KING OF THE HILL wouldn't offend me in the least. (Or a Beavis and Butthead). I actually thought that if they tried, they could've gotten away with a SP live action movie... > either way, Kelsey Grammar has to be Sideshow Bob. HERE the casting would be no problem. I would like to see him dressed up like Terwilliger myself. However, if WIZARD would cast TOM ARNOLD as Homer Simpson, I would simply and utterly DETEST to see who would ACTUALLY get the part. (shudder) And lord knows, 'currently popular teen stars' would be involved. (basically Scream, IKWYDLS, Go, and all those movies, just set in Springfield! well.. obvious CHANGES of course.. ) ^__^ (RALPH WIGGUM: In summer camp, I shoved a flute up my nose!) >if the > live-action thing did happen, i'd love to see him with that hair. > Hee Hee! ^__^ Hell, Niles could even make an appearance! > > PS. I did, however, enjoy the Akira spoof with Cartman and his V-Chip. > > unfortunately, sailor moon is the only anime/manga i've had the > pleasure of experiencing at this point, so i didn't notice them. > Get thee to a PokeCenter! Cubone, I barely knew thee! TO BEEDRILL, OR NOT TO BEEDRILL! THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!! ^_^ Mike "my tofu is ready!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990704235540.0075f79c@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 18:55:40 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Great show in San Antonio tonight If you live in San Antonio, check out the Red Elvises tonight at St. Mary Street Brewing Co. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "The only people for me are the mad ones: mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:28:33 -0500 From: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <377FFC30.5F4F890F@conpoint.com> Organization: Leffel Brand Adult Undergarments Subject: TMBG: Scooby Dooby B-52!! Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but it looks like the B-52's are getting..... ..their... own cartoon? (checks Millenium Watch, looks out the door for meteors, looks up latest Nostradamus decipherings, dusts off old copies of Dead Sea Scrolls, glares at Rosetta Stone under the table with the one short leg.) Oh well! ^__^ http://mrshowbiz.go.com/news/Todays_Stories/990603/b52scartoon060399.html Mike "I bet it lasts longer than Dennis The Cannibal Menace" Leffel ---Mister Wilson Saute'! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000301bec69c$0cacc680$784d1dce@mal01> From: "MIKE LEFFEL!" Subject: TMBG: I Palindrome I Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:08:30 -0500 Happy I Palindrome I Day! Mike "Palindrome Man hates Palindrome Man" Leffel (form TMBG.org) Notes Dial-a-Song had a substantially different song with the same name. This piece, which had a different melody and was sung by Flansburgh instead of Linnell, goes as follows: I Palindrome I Born on the 5th of July One door shut, another one closed I Palindrome I She king of Brooklyn she Master of all she surveys Lives a life unencumbered by me She king of Brooklyn she Man, when I was a young man Not like I'm driving a rocking chair now, but Man, when I was a young man I was free I Palindrome I Mister 5th of July One door shut, another one closes for I Palindrome I Man, when I was a young man Not like I'm driving a rocking chair now, but Man, when I was a young man I was free I Palindrome I Something just fell on my head Born on the 5th of July I Palindrome I I Palindrome I I Palindrome I Something just fell on my head Something just fell on my head ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:37:42 EDT Subject: non TMBG: sonic youth gear truck stolen i'm passing it on 'cos i love sonic youth, and this happened to tmbg.. small chance of anyone finding it, but.. you know.. > >URGENT/SY GEAR STOLEN! > >july 4 1999 >LA/Orange County > > >Hello all, this is Lee from Sonic Youth here, we have had a fucked up >situation >come down on us over this last night--a brand new Ryder truck parked at a >Ramada Inn in Orange County with ALL OF OUR GEAR IN IT was STOLEN! All of our >guitars, tools, amplifiers, drums, synth -- EVERYTHING. We are fucked, both >for the show tonight at the "This Ain't No Picnic" here in Orange Co., and for >shows upcoming this week in Austin and Santa Fe. Our guitars are all mostly >older and either very modified and/or fucked up/beat up. They are >unmistakably >ours, as are some of the amps, including my own 60s Fender Concert with the >red/blue/yellow "Jasper Johns-style" target on it. > >We are asking ANYONE with ANY INFORMATION about this to get in touch with us >as >soon as possible by calling our man Aaron Blitzstein in New York City at >212.343.2314, or via email to "Mascaras66@aol.com". Call collect if you want >to. Please no pranks, all, this is really serious--all the gear we've used to >write our last few LPs worth of stuff, instruments used for songs old and new >which if truly lost will mean those songs will be lost forever. > >Help us out if you can, there will be a reward for any info, I'm sure. All >our >road cases, etc, are fully marked up with our name on them, the gtrs are so >unusual that they won't really be too hard to mistake. ANY info at all will >be >appreciated. > >If the thieves themselves read this, I'm sure we'd rather buy the stuff back >from you than lose it forever (you fukkerz). > >here are some descriptions of gear:\ >drums: green satin flame 60s Gretch kit (w "paisley" glow in dark kik head >Fender ToneMaster head and 4x12 cabinet >Fender blackface Concert (4x10) w "Target design" spraypainted on front >PeeVey RoadMaster Head >Marshal 4x12 cab >Mesa Boogie 400+ bass head/4x10 cab/18" cab >Fender Bassman head (two!)/ 2x12 fender cab > >Fender presicion Bass >Gibson Les Paul Jr w snoopy sticker >Fender Jazzmasters and Jaguars--lots of 'em, mostly modified to hell (orig >electronix pulled, diff p/u's etc) and usually way beat up. >Travis Beans--1 koa wood, one red beat to shit > >White roadcase/briefcase full of gtr tools > >we will post more equip info later... thanks in advance for any help... >PLEASE PASS THIS LIST ON TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE OF HELP! > > ---Lee/Sonic Youth ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-5 *****************************