Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 7 Wednesday, 7 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: Non TMBG: TMBGofftopic Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK TMBG: CD-R copies of Long Tall Weekend Re: TMBG: theymightbegiants.com UPDATED - LTW - 7/18, FANONLY SHOW 7/17 Re: Non TMBG: TMBGofftopic RE: TMBG: youngest members TMBG: Fan-only show Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK TMBG: Re: CD-R copies of Long Tall Weekend TMBG: July 9th TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK TMBG: linnell's evil twin Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexter Flansburgh) Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 02:15:41 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Non TMBG: TMBGofftopic Message-ID: <7726-3781C93D-7480@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> It started up a few months ago, back when everyone was complaining about all the off-topic posts. So I created it in hopes that people would talk about other things there. I don't know what you mean by "is it official," though. I guess it's the official offtopic list of the tmbg-list. -dex ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990706132611.45619.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Elendriel ^_^ Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:26:11 GMT >From: Claire V Gray >Reply-To: Claire V Gray >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK >Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 21:38:10 -0400 > >Ok, upon coming back from Dragon Con and being enveloped in a comic book >rush. I must ask a question, that as far as I know has never been asked >yet, or at least durring the time that I have been on the list. > >What is everybody's favorite comic book (not strip) or comic book artist? The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:04:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: CD-R copies of Long Tall Weekend Message-ID: Hi, This email makes a good point... I meant that I am willing to burn a CD audio copy of Long Tall Weekend for people who need it. The CD would play in audio CD players. The idea is this, I want to encourage people to pay for the mp3s... however, for many reasons this is not the best format for everybody... So, anybody who can show me proof that they bought LTW(I am still not sure how, possibly a copy of the receipt as long as there is no CC info... or I will work something out)... I will burn a CD for. I would LIKE to do this more for people who can't listen to mp3s... they certainly are a priority since this is their only way of hearing it, but if other people want to take me up on this offer I am willing to help them out too... Re Erik: yup, you can get a copy... I will send your more info when I figure out how to do this efficiently... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Erik J. Chuss wrote: > > > jish, > > > As for burning a copy of LTW... will this CD be able to play on a regular CD > player or are you just making a copy of the MP3s to avoid download/diskspace > issues? Either way I would be interested in getting a copy. > > Erik J. Chuss > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990706150911.94987.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: theymightbegiants.com UPDATED - LTW - 7/18, FANONLY SHOW 7/17 Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:09:11 PDT Josh Axelrad wrote: >On http://www.theymightbegiants.com/ it says that LTW will be >released on >July 18th and will be launched by a FAN ONLY TMBG SHOW AT IRVING >PLAZA >JULY 17TH!@$!@ Before I read the next paragraph, I was wondering how they would determine if someone was a fan. Customer: Yeah, I'd like a ticket to the They Might Be Giants show. Salesman: Are you a fan? Customer: Uh, yeah, sure. Salesman: What songs do you know? Customer: Let's see, uh, "Istanbul," "Particle Man"... Salesman: Everybody knows those! Do you know "Hide Away Folk Family"? Customer: Yeah... Salesman: All right, then. How does it go? Customer: Uh, "hide away folk family..." Salesman: Nice start. >Infoclub members will get a postcard which can be turned into two >tickets >for the show... the show will also be webcast on the emusic.com >site... Considering the typical speed of the Info Club, I wouldn't be too surprised if some people didn't get the postcards until after the show. Oh, well. I probably won't be able to make it to New York even if I do get the card on time. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Just like in 'The Long, Long Trailer'" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990706151137.2771.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: Non TMBG: TMBGofftopic Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:11:37 PDT Dexter Flansburgh wrote: >It started up a few months ago, back when everyone was complaining >about >all the off-topic posts. So I created it in hopes that people would >talk >about other things there. I don't know what you mean by "is it >official," though. I guess it's the official offtopic list of the >tmbg-list. -dex When you think about it, is this list really all that official? I mean, it's not endorsed by the Johns or anything. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "The official unofficial" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: youngest members Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:21:10 -0700 Message-ID: New entries into the youngest members pool would be Aaron Steel (9) and Alex Steel (7) also front row at the Father's day show and HEADS UP FOLKS, they know ALL the words to ALL the songs. Lee ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:27:22 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Fan-only show Message-ID: On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > When did this OffTopic list happen, and is it as official as the OnTopic > list? It's one TMBG-list member's attempt to create an off-topic list for TMBG fans, and define "official". This very list probably wouldn't count as official using most definitions (by contrast, I belong to another band discussion list that was set up by the band and is advertised in the band's newsletter). It is, however, on OneList, which last I checked means they send you ads. I don't belong to the offtopic list for that and also because I don't really think it's necessary, but hey. :) It might be your cup o'tea. > That said, I'm going to try very hard to be there, but getting to NYC isn't > easy for me, since I'm very far away from it. Damn, damn, damn. :( This would happen a full THREE DAYS AFTER I book a flight to the East Coast... on July 22. :( Chad and Lawrence, if you guys are going to this and Falcon Ridge, I hereby request a detailed review (*cough**cough*or a bootleg*cough*). --nicole the "I California... I living in California..." wonder nerd *** "A billion here, a billion there... pretty soon you're talking about real money!"--my software engineering professor, on cost control Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001e01bec7db$ba58ce60$b6b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:16:42 +0100 > >What is everybody's favorite comic book (not strip) or comic book artist? Lobo (he hates Superman and so do I), and Spiderman >For me: > >Mainstream: The Maxx by Sam Keith > >Indie: Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore > >Manga: Oh My Goddess (Can't remember the name of the artist/author off >the top of my head, neither can I spell it very well) I enjoyed the Oedo Cyber City 808 series... They should make some more! My Girlfriend's sister loves Oh My Goddess >Underground: Hothead Paison Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist Street Meat by Noel Hannah & Rik Rawling (I got it at the UK Comic Art Convention about 4 years ago and it's nasty but nice). I think you may like it, Claire, I'll maybe scan a copy and put it online (big maybe). >Mysterio Gal (I am the God of fudge) -- Uncle Squid (I am the Fudge of God) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:51:38 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ltpi1$1lfs$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: CD-R copies of Long Tall Weekend Josh Axelrad wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.02.9907061058170.9086-100000@tmbg.pc.cc.cmu.edu... > Hi, > > This email makes a good point... I meant that I am willing to burn a CD > audio copy of Long Tall Weekend for people who need it. The CD would play > in audio CD players. The idea is this, I want to encourage people to pay > for the mp3s... however, for many reasons this is not the best format for > everybody... > > So, anybody who can show me proof that they bought LTW(I am still not sure > how, possibly a copy of the receipt as long as there is no CC info... or I > will work something out)... I will burn a CD for. I would LIKE to do this > more for people who can't listen to mp3s... they certainly are a priority > since this is their only way of hearing it, but if other people want to > take me up on this offer I am willing to help them out too... I think that emusic gives you a password that lets you access the mp3s for download. Maybe people can just send the passwords, and when their validated, you can then send them the CDR copy. Of course, this means they'll have to pay for it themselves, and some don't have credit cards. Unlike CDR drives, however, friends/relavtives with credit cards are failry common. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990706204429.81870.qmail@hotmail.com> From: something else other Subject: TMBG: July 9th Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:44:29 GMT *sneaks out of lurk mode for a moment* D'oh. Since I was busy the past week or so, I just deleted everything from the list that was in my box and I'm still not sure if you all have discussed this yet. Who all is going to be there for the show on the 9th in Chicago? If you need information, I have it just in case. This is actually going to be my first show, strangely enough for the amount of time that I have been into TMBG, and I'm looking for people as insane as me (in the loving TMBG area, not the killing people with their bare hands area). I'll be there even before the show starts and I'm not leaving until I'm *sure* They're gone. I'm a fanatic. Hey, why haven't They ever had a Fanatic on MTV? Maybe it's time ... -Samantha _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:58:43 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7ltpve$1luc$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: SP movie was "hella" cool Whiplash wrote in message news:377F4B6E.42B2E287@hotmail.com... > PS. I did, however, enjoy the Akira spoof with Cartman and his V-Chip. Funny, I thought this was a DragonBall spoof. However, it was pointed out to me that about 300 different anime shows could've been the target of that spoof. -Jay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:13:02 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK Message-ID: On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Claire V Gray wrote: > What is everybody's favorite comic book (not strip) or comic book artist? I'm not a big comic book person -- it's one obsession that, until recently, I'd escaped pretty much entirely. But lately I've been reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez and Lenore by Roman Dirge, and enjoying them both immensely. Lenore is just cute and funny, and JTHM is... hard to explain. I like it way too much. Kirsten "There was a time in my life when I would have found that screen saver that draws the pipes infinitely fascinating and would have been able to stare at it for hours, but that was last Saturday." -- Ron Thompson ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <44ded605.24b40306@aol.com> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:10:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: linnell's evil twin i was watching vh1's 80's marathon (yum yum yummy) and they played modern english's "i melt with you" video. the lead singer reminded me of linnell. not EXACTLY like him, but enough to make me laugh and post this. maybe it was the hat and vest.. mm.. but he does have a lot of linnellalikelooks in that video. maybe they'll play it again soon. i think it was on one of the pop up video episodes, actually. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:15:59 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Message-ID: <19990706.221601.-944927.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Hey can someone tell me how I can get this (different I Palindrome I)? The dial-a-song page doesn't work for me and the dial-a-song phone number just keeps ringing until it gives up and disconnects me every time I call which has happened for the past couple months. By the way, is this on the dial-a-song site? If so, what was the directory where the files are again? Thanks a bunch! Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:40:27 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Message-ID: <19990706.224029.-746607.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Please, ignore my last post and accept my humble apology....I'm stupid and found it, so...later! Oh yeah, just thought I'd mention to those of you who are curious, I found it on the extremely cool FTP EP site by Adam Varn. Thanks! Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-7 *****************************