Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #19-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 19, Number 9 Friday, 9 July 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG TMBG: Fat People in Sci-Fi NON-TMBG: fat people in sci-fi Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Re: TMBG: very non-tmbg (star trek fat people) Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Re: TMBG: RE: Central Park Art Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies TMBG: Oopsie on my last post, gang Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: TMBG: settle my bet Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies TMBG: Re: Settle My Bet Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: NON TMBG: Favorite Song Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies TMBG: Updates Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: TMBG: Two Unrelated Things... TMBG: Last Info About TMBG in Chicago!!! TMBG: 7/10 St. Louis Show(Lovelight Festival) Re: TMBG: Two Unrelated Things... Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 03:50:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG In a message dated 99-07-07 17:56:00 EDT, you write: << Okay, someone said to just post thoughts that came. Today I noticed something. How come there are no fat people in Star Trek. I just was looking at all the characters and even the people who never get a speaking role. None of them are fat. I realize that I may have missed a few appearances of fat people, but as to my knowledge there's that. >> This is a common trend in many epic movies and programs. Take Star Wars, for example. Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Natalie, Qui Gon, Maul, Vader, Obi Wan (both!) etc etc... all not fat people. ~Bat "lets not forget Jabba" Brain ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6320780a.24b5df4f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:02:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG In a message dated 99-07-07 17:56:00 EDT, jclark001@acitele.com writes: > How come there are no fat people in Star Trek. I just was > looking at all the characters and even the people who never get a speaking > role. None of them are fat. I realize that I Umm... SCOTTY? Scotty was pretty pudgy by the movies... ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:25:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: Fat People in Sci-Fi Well, in Star Wars you've got Porkins, the dangerously obese fighter pilot... But he didn't listen to Wedge or something and crashed into the Death Star. Am I looking like a nerd for knowing anything about this minor character? Sam ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199907081310.JAA00113@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: NON-TMBG: fat people in sci-fi Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:10:15 -0400 (EDT) > Well, in Star Wars you've got Porkins, the dangerously obese fighter pilot... > But he didn't listen to Wedge or something and crashed into the Death Star. > Actually, it was determined that Porkins had a refrigerator in the aft portion of his starfighter. When Wedge said to pull up, Porkins was reaching for a leg of lamb and the weight just pulled him down. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990708131016.98985.qmail@hotmail.com> From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 06:10:15 PDT Batbrain wrote: >In a message dated 99-07-07 17:56:00 EDT, you write: > ><< Okay, someone said to just post thoughts that came. Today I >noticed > something. How come there are no fat people in Star Trek. I just >was > looking at all the characters and even the people who never get a > >speaking > role. None of them are fat. I realize that I may have missed a >few > appearances of fat people, but as to my knowledge there's that. > >> > > >This is a common trend in many epic movies and programs. Take Star >Wars, >for >example. Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Natalie, Qui >Gon, >Maul, >Vader, Obi Wan (both!) etc etc... all not fat people. Oh, come ON! We all know Vader just wears that stupid black suit so no one notices how fat he is! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "When I walk into a room, first I gotta grease the door" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:59:45 -0600 From: "Jeremiah" Message-ID: <7m2htj$1edh$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: very non-tmbg (star trek fat people) LimeZinger@aol.com >and wear a gurdle, like william shatner. :) > Hahahahaha. Just had to post a laugh there. ~Jeremiah~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:02:50 -0600 From: "Jeremiah" Message-ID: <7m2i3b$1ejm$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG >What about Scotty? >-- I forgot about Scotty and Shatner for that matter, but I was referring to mainly the new Star Trek. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, The newest unnecessary Star Trek: All actors played by Star Trek fans. ~Jeremiah~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3784CF5C.6E36364B@airmail.net> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:18:36 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Central Park Art Rach014@aol.com wrote: > > Hello again.... > > Here's the correct URL for my central park art: > http://members.aol.com/rach014/centralpark.html Great job! > Oops... Sorry about that. I wondered about that... :) On a somewhat related note, does Linnell just live in that green shirt or what? He wore it in one of the shows I atteneded, and I've also seen it in several pictures that other people have taken at other shows. ...Or is it just me? Come to think of it, Flans has worn that plaid number quite a bit, too. > :) Rachel Danielle -- My ultimate vocation in life is to be an irritant. --Elvis Costello ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <459887ee.24b6585f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:39:11 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Hello all: Since I've managed to procure a bit of me-time in between laundry loads, I thought I'd reenter the mailing list scene to ask you all for your 20 favorite movies (this is excruciatingly tough, I know, but if I can do it, any of you can). My current film faves are listed below. Oh, and before I go forgetting, my favorite non-TMBG song is "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Now, for part deux: I thought I'd start a bit of fun by passing along a post that my friend Mike in Seattle sent me this morning... How to figure out your Star Wars Name: For Your First Name 1. First 3 letters of your first name 2. First 2 letters of your last name For Your Last Name 3. First 2 letters of your mum's maiden name 4. First 3 letters of the city you were born in Using the above method, my name would be Karri McPoi :-) Even cuter would be my maiden name: Karki McPoi. (The feminine version of Marty McFly?) Now, on to my ten cinematic favorites: 1) Saving Private Ryan 2) Das Boot (the German version) 3) Logan's Run (the movie that comes closest to how I dream on a regular basis) 4) Pulp Fiction (I've never left a theatre feeling so exhilarated) 5) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (as a child, saw it as a part of a double feature with the horror movie "Frogs", if you can believe that) 6) High Noon 7) Auntie Mame 8) The Goodbye Girl 9) Same Time, Next Year 10) Great Expectations (1947) 11) Romeo and Juliet (1968) 12) Swimming to Cambodia 13) The Time Machine 14) The Trip To Bountiful 15) Raiders Of The Lost Ark 16) Jean de Florette 17) Harold and Maude 18) Tampopo 19) Wings of Desire 20) The Bad Seed (1956) I really wanted to put "Psycho" (1960) in there, too...but I think it would have to be relegated to # 21 on my list. So many movies, so little time... Karen "Holly Golightly" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <2734ae1a.24b65b00@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 15:50:24 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 99-07-08 15:42:20 EDT, MuseKJ@aol.com writes: > For Your First Name > 1. First 3 letters of your first name > 2. First 2 letters of your last name > > For Your Last Name > 3. First 2 letters of your mum's maiden name > 4. First 3 letters of the city you were born in Heh... Cenpr Caatl. How much sense does THAT one make? Damnit, my best friend got "Zacho Mofor." That sounds cool, like a Mexican wrestler, or something. My ten favorite movies? (In no real order) The Matrix: Wow. This one blew my mind. It's far down the list, but it's cool. Clerks: Ah yes. A masterpiece. AKIRA: Oh HELL yeah. Beautiful. Simply amazing. I wanna see this in a theater. Transformers: The Movie: Sheer nostalgia. It's a hokey flick, but it's Transformers. Thus, it is cool. Pulp Fiction: Oh yeah. Cool movie. Me likee. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut: I just saw it, and as such, am still obscessed with it. From a sociological viewpoint, the movie's a riot. Final Justice: Oh yeah. Joe Don Baker. Wheeee... and Joe Don Baker being fat in Malta. How cool is that? Um... I dunno... four more? Blues Brothers: Yes. Good movie. Ghostbusters (YES! YES! YES!): Probably my favorite movie EVER. Army Of Darkness, and uh.... Evil Dead: Two classics. Bruce Campbell rocks. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4e4ac0d.24b66012@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:12:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Oopsie on my last post, gang Uh, pardon me yet again folks, but I noticed that I put 10 Fave movies in the title of my last post, but then later on made it 20 top films. I changed it to 20, because I myself had a horrid time of trying to whittle the number of films down to only 10. Matter of fact, I could barely only do 20...but I wouldn't want to expect that much writing from the rest of you. Ta dearies, Karen "Tea and Love" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:25:42 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-id: <37850944.B18B3472@wmich.edu> My 10... err 20.... err lets compromise and go with 15 fav. movies (in no particular order) 1) Dead Poets Society 2) The Star Wars Trilogy (or would this count as three? Ah well...) 3) Spaceballs 4) Legend 5) Labyrinth 6) A Clockwork Orange 7) Psycho (the original) 8) The Dark Crystal 9) The Last Unicorn 10) Back to the Future (I and II) 11) The Wall 12) Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail 13) The Yellow Submarine 14) Little Shop of Horrors (1986 version) 15) The Rocky Horror Picture Show That was easy.... and hard, I feel like I have left off many a great movie, but these are probably my all-time favourites. You know the ones I grew up watching, over and over and over again.... hehehehe ~Sarhu Crusou (that's Jedi for Sarah..... tee-hee) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990708202950.82183.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 13:29:50 PDT Jeremiah wrote: > >What about Scotty? > >-- > > >I forgot about Scotty and Shatner for that matter, but I was >referring to >mainly the new Star Trek. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, >Voyager, >The newest unnecessary Star Trek: All actors played by Star Trek >fans. In between the first and second generation, they invented an instantaneous diet shake. Or maybe they use the transporters to change unnecessary mass to energy. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan Mulac "Beam me up" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990708203501.35695.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 13:35:00 PDT Karen Riley wrote: > Since I've managed to procure a bit of me-time in between >laundry >loads, >I thought I'd reenter the mailing list scene to ask you all for your >20 >favorite movies (this is excruciatingly tough, I know, but if I can >do it, >any of you can). My current film faves are listed below. Oh, and >before I >go >forgetting, my favorite non-TMBG song is "Have You Ever Seen The >Rain?" by >Creedence Clearwater Revival. I don't know. I really haven't seen that many movies. I've seen more than twenty, certainly, but there are probably movies I haven't seen that would automatically make it to the top twenty list. I don't really have that much time to think about it right now. I will reply to the second part of your message, though. > Now, for part deux: > >I thought I'd start a bit of fun by passing along a post that my >friend >Mike >in Seattle sent me this morning... > >How to figure out your Star Wars Name: > >For Your First Name >1. First 3 letters of your first name >2. First 2 letters of your last name > >For Your Last Name >3. First 2 letters of your mum's maiden name >4. First 3 letters of the city you were born in Mine is Natde Muwes. (I was born in West Chester, for those of you who might be interested.) One interesting thing about this system is that siblings wouldn't always have the same last names. My brother, for instance, would be Karde Mubry. -- May the light shine upon thee, Natde Muwes, son of Harde Monew and Carmu Benew DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <69911caa.24b66716@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:41:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: settle my bet John wrote: <> I believe You Were Spiraling opened for them. I could be wrong, but I was there, and I know I didn't catch the name of the band at the time. However, when I saw You Were Spiraling a few months later I realized they seemed really familiar and I think I must have seen them in Cincy. Anyone feel free to back me up because I've been wondering about this. Diana ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:55:12 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Star wars name: Diaar Nacle. Hmm. Some movies I like: Splash Back to the Future Forrest Gump Animal House Blues Brothers Pulp Fiction Titanic What Dreams May Come Now I know these aren't all especially great works of cinematic art but I love them. And I can't really think of ten. I just got home from work and don't feel like thinking too much. Diana Off to Chicago tomorrow!!!! :-) :-) :-) Horray! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3785104D.E7832776@sevenlands.com> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:55:41 -0400 From: carlyn nugent Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:53:42 -0400 From: carlyn nugent To: MuseKJ@aol.com References: 1 Oh, goodie...more lists! MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > How to figure out your Star Wars Name: Carnu Bulou Ack. > ten cinematic favorites: (or 20? I can easily do 20...or 30...or 50) In *absolutely no* particular order: 1. A Clockwork Orange 2. Psycho (1960) 3. My Favorite Year 4. Singin' in the Rain 5. The Birds 6. Ran 7. Arsenic and Old Lace 8. Captain Blood 9. Night of the Living Dead (1968) 10. The Great Dictator 11. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) 12. Blade Runner 13. The Sea Hawk (1940) 14. Life of Brian 15. Lifeboat 16. Brazil 17. Animal Crackers 18. The Seven-Year Itch 19. Metropolis 20. Time After Time CN ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:38:47 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: <19990709.223852.2846.1.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: who? not me >I thought I'd reenter the mailing list scene to ask you all for >your 20 favorite movies (this is excruciatingly tough, I know, but >if I can do it, any of you can). i feel ashamed. it's a rare movie that catches me enough to truly burn a spot in my mind, and thus i've had to wrack my brain for the following. 1. m*a*s*h 2. gremlins 2 3. gremlins 4. evil dead 2 5. wag the dog 6. primary colors 7. the spy who shagged me 8. evil dead 9. demon knight (i don't care how bad it was) 10. crossroads (steve vai, woohoo) and ten movies to avoid: 1. stepmom (arrrggggh) 2. independence day 3. the cowboy way 4. simon birch 5. the rocky horror picture show 6. you've got mail 7. billy madison 8. anything else with adam sandler 9. pocohantas 10. what dreams may come that's twenty. there are more that i've very much enjoyed, and many more that i've hated, but .. i blame a terrible memory. get me my ginko biloba, baby! not only--but especially for--the ladies, jamcu moflo. moflo. what the hell kinda last name is that? :) ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:30:57 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7m34jm$1rin$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Fave Movies: Time Bandits Army of Darkness (honorable mention: Evil Dead 2) Six String Samurai City of Lost Children Living in Oblivion Monty Python and the Holy Grail Brazil (Terry Giliam is a master visualist) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (a good John Hughes film) LA Story Highlander Adventures of Baron Munchausen (notice a trend?) Raising Arizona (Coen Brothers are geniuses) Dr. Strangelove (so is Kubrick) 12 Monkeys Life of Brian A Boy and His Dog (based on a favorite author's story) Life is Beautiful (should've won the Oscar) Election Bottle Rocket (seen it more than Rushmore) South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut -Jaygi Scoma ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:19:39 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: <19990708.171940.-24131.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: Jeff Parker Jefpa DuLag's twenty fave films (in no order whatsoever): 1. The Fifth Element 2. House 3. Blade 4. Austin Powers (I & II) 5. Shine 6. Pulp Fiction 7. Star Wars Trilogy 8. Raiders of the Lost Ark 9. Sling Blade 10. There's Something About Mary 11. It 12. Army of Darkness 13. Monty Python and the Holy Grail 14. Trainspotting 15. Devil's Advocate 16. Fallen 17. Reservoir Dogs 18. Ferris Bueller's Day Off 19. The Breakfast Club 20. Happy Gilmore I know i forgot some really goods ones but i'm hot and tired and at least these are movies i like... most of them are my favorites so get off my back!!! That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:20:08 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: <19990708.174717.-577121.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Ten favorite movies... this is tough. I think I'll put ten movies I enjoy very much greatly, but in no particular order, because I have such problems choosing one movie over another. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Clerks Rushmore The Breakfast Club Angus The Great Muppet Caper (I had to throw in a muppet movie somewhere). Of Mice and Men I Shot Andy Warhol Death of a Salesman (the version starring Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich. hard to find but *very* good). Shine Yeah. I guess that'll do... I'll probably think of some others at, like, three in the morning, in my typical fashion... ever-sincere, Cap'n Erifl Kipit, or "Erira Kipit," if I pretend "rae" is my real last name. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990708220745.49806.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Cow ." Subject: TMBG: Re: Settle My Bet Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:07:45 PDT >Hey , I'd like anyone who can to settle a bet for me. I'd like to know if >a >band called Baby Lemonade opened for the Giants at Bogart's in Cincinatti >in >October of '98. Thanks. >-John No, Michael Shelley opened for the Johns on that tour. However, Michael Shelley's bassist is in another band called Baby Lemonade. I've never heard their music. Does anyone know if they're any good? ...And now back to your regularly scheduled lives... ~Connie~ "!Mi cabeza esta en fuego!" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:24:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: Hmm...I don't think ten is enough, so I'll just start rattling them off until I run out of gas: My Fave-Schizopolis. see this move now! other greats: clerks metropolitan kicking and screaming on the waterfront election switchblade sisters chunking express the killer the reflecting skin suture out of sight chasing amy el mariachi mildred pierce rebecca dead man freeway buffalo 66 the opposite of sex rushmore my dinner with andre empire records slacker uncle vanya mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios jesus de motreal the matrix gattacca boogie nights sliding doors That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else. --Jamal ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <124dae9e.24b6887d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:04:29 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 4:24:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: << Spaceballs >> I saw this one (wasn't the first time I had seen it) on a TV as I was standing in line waiting for one very disturbing (for me, anyway) "haunted house" in Stroudsburg, PA, that had for it's grand finale a simulated version of a prisoner being executed in an electric chair. Seeing as my husband is a prison guard, I have to say the event put my heart in my mouth. I believe the haunted house is still in operation, but I could be wrong. <> I like this movie, as I do most things Kubrickite (R.I.P. Stanley), but so help me if it didn't give me nightmares after my first viewing. <> Considering how much I like the Pythons, I really do have to buy some of their films in the near future. <> One of my favorite cartoon movies. Gotta love "Glove." <> The dentist's scene especially :-) I do like the original nonmusical version of this one too, though (where Jack Nicholson gets eaten by a plant). Oooh, and speaking of which, has anybody on here seen "Day of the Triffids?" Considering I took horticulture in college, it was especially fun for me. Who woulda thunk that mere sea water could instantaneously kill dangerous alien plant life? <> I love this film, too...and was entranced so much by the music, I bought the soundtrack...I guess it is common for one to "feel dirty" after watching it -- but that's I good thing in this case, yes? ;-) Karen "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com 70% German, 20% Irish, 5% Danish, 3% English, 2% Russian (as far as I know) but 100% American ;-) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:17:18 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 3:58:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, EmarZero@AOL.COM writes: << Clerks >> I have "Clerks," "Mallrats," and "Chasing Amy," and love all of them equally well. Of course, I am a bit biased because I'm a Jersey girl myself. <> You have no idea how overjoyed my husband was when this forever out-of-print, small budget horror film was recently released in an all-out "Limited, Digitally Mastered Edition." A lovely little piece of gore...I tend to swing more towards "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," myself, though. Karen "Hoping for Asbury Park's supposed comeback" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:28:47 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: <19990708.192847.-472293.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" ><> >One of my favorite cartoon movies. Gotta love "Glove." I *so* grew up on this movie. I would have my mother rent it all the time for me, and eventually I up and bought it. I've still got it, currently sitting next to my copy of Direct from Brooklyn, and occasionally I watch it when the impulse arises. I always wanted one of those big apples so I could drop them on someone and turn them into stone. Hehe, the Blue Meanies were so evil. >buffalo 66 Ar. I forgot that one. I forgot Alice in Wonderland (the Disney cartoon version) too. And I'll keep realizing that I forgot a bunch, and it shall eventually drive me insane. ever-sincere, eriKa, curiouser and curiouser. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Sexual frustration is caused by the Discovery Channel." - Kevan Peden ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <699100fb.24b69234@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:45:56 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 4:58:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, carlynn@sevenlands.com writes: <> According to amazon.com, this movie is at the top of the "movies we think you would like" list...I'm game, will probably rent this one sometime this week. <> Yeah, I'd have to list this one as #12, under "Psycho." Liked "Twelve Monkeys" and "The Fifth Element," too. << The Birds >> Oh yes...certainly my second favorite Hitchcock film, after "Psycho"...I first saw it on TV when I was young, and the scene that terrifyingly creeps up to Suzanne Pleshette's lifeless body still makes me shudder ...and let's hear it for those starlings up on the top floor, that pecked a hole clear through the roof! Starlings and crows are numerous in my neighborhood, and their behavior lends itself to the birds in that movie more times than I'd like. Stupid crows, for the hundredth time, get out of my garbage! <> It didn't take much for Bette Davis to scare the Bejesus out of one, did it? <> Somebody's got great taste in horror films :-) NOTLD would be my favorite horror film next to "Psycho." My small hometown of Ocean Grove (that John Linnell said he visited on the day of the Fastlane show in Asbury Park, NJ last month), in the tourist-less wintertime, looks a little too much like the residential areas in NOTLD. Ocean Grove is full of haunted-type places. Again, brrrr. Funny thing is, I'm stuck on the darn place...I'll probably end up moving back one of these years. Help, Johns, the ancient spirits have me under their spell!.....use The Stick, or sumthin'! (Maybe the puppet heads?) Karen "From the seaside Salem-wannabe town of OG" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:53:07 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 4:58:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, DKocar@aol.com writes: << Forrest Gump >> I had a rough time trying to decide who I should root for more for best picture, "Forrest Gump," or "Pulp Fiction"...just like the Fates to go with FG when I finally opted for PF. Oh well, both were equally great in my eyes (it's just that PF is one of my favorites plotline-wise...but I will admit that I absolutely adore the character of Lt. Dan) :-) Karen "Gump, put me down!" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:05:08 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 5:07:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, phone_book@juno.com writes: << m*a*s*h >> I liked this about as much as the TV Show...which is a great deal, actually. I had two wonderful friends who were a lot like Hawkeye and BJ (one of which only passed away this past January). <> Well, now it's my turn to be ashamed, my friend...I actually enjoyed "The Waterboy"...I must've been a Cajun in a former life or something (Oh no, we suck again!) My husband tells me I'd probably like Billy Madison, too -- time will tell with that one, I suppose. Karen "I wanna hear TMBG cover Jambalaya" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990709000927.96560.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Favorite Song Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:09:26 PDT >From: Claire V Gray >The song I'm currently obssessed with is "Frank Sinatra" by CAKE Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990709001627.19119.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Favorite comic BOOK Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:16:26 PDT >From: Claire V Gray >What is everybody's favorite comic book (not strip) or comic book artist? Todd MacFarlane's "Ozzy Osbourne" (No, really, there is such thing) While Ozzy Osbourne is in the midst of performing a concert, some TV Preacher dude cuts the power cord backstage and all the power goes out and all the Ozzy fans start rioting and Ozzy can see demons and devils and evil spirits flying around in the air and he turns to look at the preacher guy who is calling him names and stuff. But then a demon reaches out for the priest but only Ozzy can see it so he lunges for the guy and knocks him out of the way but the man lands on a bass guitar and gets it stuck up his ass. So the cops are questioning Ozzy and he goes over (a sick and twisted version of) his life's story and it's pretty cool. Josh "Don't Eat the Reefer" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and from where I'm sittin', there just ain't enough damn dogs." -"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:17:43 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 5:19:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jay@tmbg.org writes: << Time Bandits >> Mom, Dad, don't touch it! It's Evil! This movie was lots of fun...I really need to see it again. Anybody here ever see "Krull"? I like that one, and it reminds me a bit of Time Bandits, but in a more serious vein. I know for a fact that anyone I've mentioned Krull to, they all think it's crap. <> D'oh! I should've put the above movie and "Fargo" somewhere on my tops list. Completely forgot The Brothers Coen, who I also agree are geniuses. Hmm...Fargo is probably way up there at like # 5, and Raising Arizona is probably now at # 16...everything else I mentioned on my movie list will have to be pushed downward. Boy, these favorites things get more complicated with every post ;-) Karen "What about his Dip-Tet, Hi?" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <9b32def4.24b69c44@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:28:52 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/8/99 5:20:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jbparke@juno.com writes: << Ferris Bueller's Day Off >> Good grief...now that I've been reminded of this one, I will have to stick it in at #7, which I think would now be after Willy Wonka...help me I'm so confused.... Karen "anybody have a fully functioning brain they'd like to donate to a sweet but often befuddled list member?" Riley 8-/ (Well, at least I mean well...mostly harmless) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199907090053.UAA69527@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Updates Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:53:37 -0400 (EDT) Some of you may have noticed that www.tmbg.org has been updated recently. I'd like to bring your attention to these two addtions, because they come not from the www.tmbg.org team, but rather from some creative fans. First, Sean McBride created a cartoon music video to go with Minimum Wage. It's a funny look into one of the most common places where people make minimum wage. Check it out in Real Video or AVI format. Second, Erik Chuss helped jumpstart and idea I had long ago. They Might Be Giants are all about unusual connections, and now we can blend learning with music. The feature about New York City helps you find out more about the song, and more about the city all at the same time. If you're interested in helping expand the web site, we invite you to help. Much of the site was developed from fan suggestions and input. Please look at our additional learning ideas, and see if you might want to do one of them. If you're really creative you might be able to use the same article for school! For those of you who have submitted lyrics, chords, and interpretations, we are still working through the backlog. We get a lot of submissions, and are always many months behind sorting through them. We promise we'll get to yours, eventually. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:15:52 -0400 (EDT) From: "Kirsten L. Brodbeck" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Cap'n eriKa rae wrote: > > ><> > >One of my favorite cartoon movies. Gotta love "Glove." > > I *so* grew up on this movie. I would have my mother rent it all the time > for me, and eventually I up and bought it. I've still got it, currently > sitting next to my copy of Direct from Brooklyn, and occasionally I watch > it when the impulse arises. My friend Phil and I watched this dozens of times while we were still in highschool, always renting the same copy from the same video store... When that store went out of business, I ended up buying the video. So Phil and I watch it almost every time we get together (like every three months or so) and by now we can recite pretty much the whole thing from memory. I get all warm and gooshy inside when I think about that movie. Kirsten "There was a time in my life when I would have found that screen saver that draws the pipes infinitely fascinating and would have been able to stare at it for hours, but that was last Saturday." -- Ron Thompson ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 20:16:45 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <37854D7D.949E729@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Lauhe Alstl. And WAY too tired to think of fav movies right now. Laura ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37855575.3DEA352A@erols.com> Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 21:50:45 -0400 From: Zydell Subject: Re: TMBG: Two Unrelated Things... > On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 MuseKJ@aol.com wrote: > > > Am I the only married woman on this list? I am married (3 years). My husband and I danced to TMBG at our wedding. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990709021048.5913.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "something else other" Subject: TMBG: Last Info About TMBG in Chicago!!! Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:10:48 GMT Listies-- Alright kiddos, this is it! Tommorrow at 8 is the show! I'm guessing it wont rain, which is good, but it looks like rain right now to me ... ah well. I'm sorry to those of you who wanted to meet before hand, but from popular demand, we're meeting at the show. Everyone can look for me, seeing as how I am very easy to spot. Besides, here's my pic: http://www.emote.org/celeste/sam.jpg (sorry for the fact that I look 10 ... add on 10 years). Oh, and I'll be sporting a blue flowered skirt and a sleeveless white top. There will be at least two people with me at the beginning (one of which is a guy with long black wavy hair). I'm really psyched! Those of you who aren't going, I'm going to get the set list and hopefully have some fun ... well, I know I'll have fun! Until the show, ciao! -Samantha recent purchases: "Miles Smiles" (Davis), "Whatever and Ever Amen" (Ben Folds), "Spark" single, "Talula" single, and "Professional Widow" single (Tori Amos). coolest recent mp3 downloads: "She Thinks She's Edith Head" (TMBG), "Crush" (DMB), and "Older" (TMBG). _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 21:17:12 -0500 From: Laura Message-ID: <37855BA8.E3CDDDC7@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: TMBG: 7/10 St. Louis Show(Lovelight Festival) Um, so is anyone else going to this? Well, I mean from this list? I am. It will be my first concert. Okay then. _that_ was a really bad post, Laura oh, if anyone needs to know anything about it, I know a lot. ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:12:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Two Unrelated Things... In a message dated 7/8/99 9:51:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jzydell@erols.com writes: << > > Am I the only married woman on this list? I am married (3 years). My husband and I danced to TMBG at our wedding. >> Hello there! And just as I was beginning to lose hope...that's interesting that you played TMBG at your wedding...which song/s were played? Karen "I danced the YMCA dance at a friend's wedding last year...and the, *gasp* Macarena, too *dodging the thrown tomatoes* Riley ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:58:43 -0700 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: <19990709.000518.-1043729.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: Adam Schaaf hi. star wars name: Adasc Gaden. it wouldn't be so weird of that "C" were another vowel. "ten" favorite movies: 1) Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo 2) Ghostbusters (which just came out in widescreen) 3) Edward Scissorhands 4) Boogie Nights 5) Miller's Crossing 6) Fargo 7) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 8) The Ice Storm 9) Mallrats 10) Silence of the Lambs 11) The Third Man 12) The Bride of Frankenstein 13) 2001: A Space Odyssey 14) The Last Seduction 15) Pulp Fiction 16) Blade Runner - The Director's Cut 17) What About Bob? 18) Army of Darkness 19) Get Shorty 20) The Shawshank Redemption adam schaaf -------------------------- "But how would Christ benefit from me putting my tongue in someone's mouth?" ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:14:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Message-ID: Oh, I forgot one: Dr.Seuss' The 10,000 Fingers of Dr. T. Excellent set design. --Jamal ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199907090439.AAA01608@smtp.snet.net> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:32:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Very non TMBG > >This is a common trend in many epic movies and programs. Take Star >Wars, > >for > >example. Mark Hammil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Natalie, Qui >Gon, > >Maul, > >Vader, Obi Wan (both!) etc etc... all not fat people. > > Oh, come ON! We all know Vader just wears that stupid black suit so no one > notices how fat he is! it's true... i mean, hey- isn't black the most slimming color??? -jen the TRUE jazz musician knows. that's it. he just knows. ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199907090448.AAA02969@smtp.snet.net> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:42:02 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies > > How to figure out your Star Wars Name: unfortunatly, i don't recall the exact name of the town i was born in. because i was an airforce baby. so it was near a base. and it was near lincoln, nebraska. i think. so i'll just use lincoln as the name of the city i was born in. i am now officially- jente nilin. heh. -jente (looks kinda spanish... like 'gente', only different) yo g mofo skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19990709045532.00afa16c@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:55:32 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies Star Wars name: Jench Lawas (that's IRL; usually listed online as Jen@t Misea) Ten movies I like: 1. City of Lost Children (La Cite' des Enfants Perdus) 2. Ghost in the Shell 3. Tank Girl 4. The Crow 5. Princess Bride 6. Nightmare Before Christmas 7. Trainspotting 8. Akira 9. Clerks 10. The Matrix 11. Fifth Element 12. The Rock 13. Edward Scissorhands 14. Life of Brian 15. Dark City 16. Army of Darkness 17. Before Sunrise 18. Men in Tights Honorable mentions: On the Waterfront, Blues Brothers, True Lies Series: Neon Genesis Evangelion Next movie on my list to see: Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock) Favorite lists so far: Adam Schaaf, Jay G., EmarZero Oh, and Karen- I had a friend who was named Logan after Logan's Run. (And he hates the movie...) - Jen / SpiderEyes --------------------- "Early to bed and early to rise Makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." - Mazer - Orson Scott Card, "Ender's Game" ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <419177f3.24b6dda4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 01:07:48 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Your Star Wars Name/10 Fave Movies In a message dated 7/9/99 12:09:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, superman75@juno.com writes: << The Ice Storm >> My husband and I rented this one a while back. It is also the one that I wholeheartedly recommend the rest of you go out and rent yourselves. Mind-blowing, poignant, one of the best screenplays I've seen in years. Karen "Shakespeare's Sister" Riley "Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall: Some run from brakes of ice, and answer none: And some condemned for a fault alone." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #19-9 *****************************