Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 13 Friday, 13 August 1999 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-12 TMBG: Adam's Site Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) TMBG: 4 of 2 Re: TMBG: Adam's Site Re: TMBG: Adam's Site TMBG: bootleg recordings TMBG: Something interesting TMBG: Something Interesting (sorry) Re: TMBG: bootleg recordings TMBG: tmbg on larry sanders rerun TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990812020830.00958150@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:10:38 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al (was TMBG: A TMBG-touched vacation) At 01:40 AM 8/12/99 -0400, Angel of Darkness wrote: > > Speaking of Weird Al, does anyone have any feedback on his shows, and > > what to expect and stuff? Whoops. Missed replying to this. Yeah, I got front-row-center seats and backstage passes (brag, brag) to the show in Myrtle Beach, which ranks as the single greatest concert experience ever. There's next to no improvising, and they play the exact same setlist at every show...but it's a lot of fun. I'd definitely recommend going. And hang out after the show...Al's very good about coming out around an hour after the show and talking to fans. >Speaking of Weird Al again..... >I have but one album of his... _Off The Deep End_ and I think It's about >time I >stocked up on some more Weird Al... Any suggestions? There's so much to choose >from that I turn numb trying to decide which CD to buy first! "Dare To Be Stupid". Running With Scissors is great, but DTBS will always be my favorite ALbum. -Adam ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <4d9a46b9.24e3ccba@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:07:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-12 heyall! someone was asking about joshua fried... im not sure what other remix work he's done (i think i remember reading about something with chaka khan?) but every now and then here in NY he does weird avante garde play-like things where the actors wear headphones and have to sing/speak the words before theyve ever even heard them. the goal, supposedly, is to say it simultaneously and the resulting sounds are deffinitely not english. i think Lullabye to Nightmares was composed this way... he also does this odd thing with musical shoes that sample the radio... kinda weird. he used to email this list occasionaly btw, i'll cast my vote against the new fruvous album... sounds like the beegees and other kinda icky 70s pop. except for the splatter splatter song... i was hoping for something strangers from a record with song titles like "hate letter", "If only you knew" and "My Poor Generation"... um, maybe it grows on you. and i liked Wood the first time i heard it, the first song is amazing. that is all ~liz ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Adam's Site Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:07:40 -0400 If you haven't checked out Adam's site yet you shoud do so. It is quickly becoming one of the best sources for TMBG MP3s. http://www.xooming.to/tmbgland/ Recently on of the contributers uploaded all the files from a '92 German radio broadcast called "Roadshow". This is all the info I have on this right now except for the fact that I burned this to CD yesterday and listened to it on the way home from work in my car and it is absolutely AWESOME! If anyone has any additional info on this show like perhaps the date, please let me know. I would also like to know where the Regge Mix titled "Larger Than Life" is from. Last request: Who ever is responsible for uploading the MP3s of the '85 Promo Cassette, please finish. I would like to finish a CD of this show. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37B2CA1C.538D0CC9@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:20:28 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Moxy, Moxy & more Mox..well you get the point :) Angel of Darkness wrote: > Hrm.... I don't have Thornhill yet.... Plan on getting it VERY soon.... > But, on the topic of Wood.... It almost disappoints me to hear that so many > people dislike. It reminds me of so many people's dislike of Factory > Showroom... Anyhow. When I first gave Wood a listen I was quite disappointed. Although I think that after 5 albums, the change that they went through to Factory Showroom was far more drastic than what Moxy Fruvous did with Wood, seeing as how it was only their second album, and the first one they wrote specifically with the intent of releasing an album. (Bargainville was pretty much just a collection of their early busking work, which is why the arrangements are fairly simple, and the only keyboard to appear is the accordion) Here's the strange thing... a good portion of Canadians hate Wood (or at least just aren't that enthusiastic about it), while most US residents (among Fruheads, that is) love it. Why? Because it took Fruvous a little while to start playing in the US, and they had already been established in Canada as a kind of silly sometimes a capella, sometimes minimalist band. They pretty much can't do a show north of the border now and *not* play King of Spain. (can you say "Particle Man?" :) But in the US, they're actually more willing to do more from Wood and less from Bargainville at some venues. > I knew Horseshoes and Fly.... and I've always liked those songs... but the > rest sounded so folky and I guess my ears didn't like these strange I think it was the much slower tempos for me... I was like "Ok, where's the fast, fun stuff..." But I'd only had the album a month when I saw them play half of it at a show last July, and was totally confused... they opened with Down from Above, and I was like "I've heard this before... where? Wood, maybe?" and when they continued with Horseshoes and Fly I realized that it was, in fact, Wood, and secretly hoped that they wouldn't play the whole album, because I'd be embarassed at not really knowing it that well. Fortunately for me then, they stopped after The Present Tense Tureen (and later played Organ Grinder)... Unfortunately for me now, they stopped after The Present Tense Tureen... (hoping they play Misplaced at this year's Ramshead show :) -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:51:31 -0600 (MDT) From: FITZ RANDOLPH TIMOTHY VAIL Subject: TMBG: 4 of 2 Message-ID: well i've been listening to 4 of 2 hundreds of times daily, it's one of my new favorites. anyone think there's a chance it'll show up on the new album? I know it's not really one of their "rock" songs, so maybe it won't make the cut? any thoughts? -timmy fitzrand@colorado.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101bee4d3$b2306120$1401010a@vsnet.com> From: "Chris Nuccitelli" Subject: Re: TMBG: Adam's Site Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:02:27 -0600 This is from the "She's Actual Size" EP, unless I'm mistaken.... ----- Original Message ----- From: Steel, W Lee To: Sent: Thursday, August 12, 1999 7:07 AM Subject: TMBG: Adam's Site > I would also like to know where the Regge Mix titled "Larger Than Life" is > from. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19990812113642.00a22100@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:36:42 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Adam's Site At 09:02 AM 8/12/99 -0600, you wrote: >This is from the "She's Actual Size" EP, unless I'm mistaken.... > >----- Original Message ----- >From: Steel, W Lee >To: >Sent: Thursday, August 12, 1999 7:07 AM >Subject: TMBG: Adam's Site > > >> I would also like to know where the Regge Mix titled "Larger Than Life" is >> from. Actually, "Larger Than Life" was a B-side on the I Palindrome I EP. On other topics of discussion, I too was a bit let down by Thornhill. But I felt the same way after listening to Wood my first few times, and I fully expect it to grow on me. Also, the note about the "C" Album, very cool. Dylan "Just a mere B-side of Leffel Palindrome Leffel" Flipse Dylan Flipse - dylan@flipse.com http://www.flipse.com - Just do it ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: bootleg recordings Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:47:14 -0400 Anybody know anything about these bootleg recordings? Can I Sing For You As Seen On TV Part 1 Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Something interesting Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:17:08 -0400 Subject: [3-14] How do I put audio and data on the same CD? (1998/09/12) There are two ways to do this. The first is to put the data on track 1 of the CD, and audio on the next several tracks (discs created this way are referred to as "mixed-mode" CDs). The CD-ROM drive will automatically look at track 1 and ignore all other tracks, so you'll be able to get at the data and -- depending on the operating system -- will be able to play the audio tracks. Remember that all of the tracks, both audio and data, need to be recorded in a single session. See section (3-2). The down side of this is that audio CD players may attempt to play track 1, which can be obnoxious or downright harmful to audio equipment. Most modern CD players are smart enough to ignore data tracks, so this won't usually be a problem. The other approach is to create a multisession disc with the audio tracks in the first session and the data track in the second. This is how CD Extra (the format formerly known as CD Plus) works. Audio CD players only look at the first session, and CD-ROM drives are (supposed to) start with the last session, so it all works out. Sony Music has some pages at http://www.cdextra.com/. A common question is how to write the audio in the first session without gaps between tracks, because you can't use disc-at-once recording. (If you did use DAO recording, the disc would be closed, and you wouldn't be able to write the data track). With the GoldenHawk software and a Philips recorder, you can do "session-at-once" recording to write the audio without gaps, and purportedly there is a strange hack you can do with GEAR that has the same effect with certain recorders. (With GEAR, write the audio tracks in the first session using disc-at-once recording, but with "multisession" and "leave session open" set. Don't ask me for details, and don't be surprised if it doesn't work.) What happens when you try to play one of these as audio in your CD-ROM drive? As with most things multisession, it depends on your drive. (The player that comes with Plextor CD-ROM drives does the right thing. If you're using a different drive, you're on your own.) There's actually a third way to do this that involves putting the data track into the extended pregap of the first audio track. Instead of the audio starting at minute:second:block 00:02:00, the data starts there, and the audio is written after. The pregap is adjusted accordingly. This method never gained popularity because some drives started playing at 00:02:00 regardless. Some CDs perversely put audio in the pregap. You can play it by starting to play track 1, then holding the "reverse" button until it seeks all the way to the start of the disc. Some digital audio extraction programs (e.g. "cdclip" from www.goldenhawk.com) allow you to specify block numbers instead of track numbers; these can be used to extract the "hidden" audio. For example, _Factory Showroom_ by "They Might Be Giants" looks like this: TRACK 01 AUDIO INDEX 00 00:00:00 INDEX 01 01:01:00 TRACK 02 AUDIO INDEX 00 04:52:10 INDEX 01 04:52:10 TRACK 03 AUDIO [...] Index 01 on track 01 is usually 00:02:00. Holding down the reverse button backs the time up to -1:03. For more information (mainly aimed at Macintosh users), see http://www.musicfan.com/ecd/what.html. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: "Steel, W Lee" Subject: TMBG: Something Interesting (sorry) Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:22:27 -0400 I meant to cut just this part out. This is from the CD Recordable FAQ at http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/ Some CDs perversely put audio in the pregap. You can play it by starting to play track 1, then holding the "reverse" button until it seeks all the way to the start of the disc. Some digital audio extraction programs (e.g. "cdclip" from www.goldenhawk.com) allow you to specify block numbers instead of track numbers; these can be used to extract the "hidden" audio. For example, _Factory Showroom_ by "They Might Be Giants" looks like this: TRACK 01 AUDIO INDEX 00 00:00:00 INDEX 01 01:01:00 TRACK 02 AUDIO INDEX 00 04:52:10 INDEX 01 04:52:10 TRACK 03 AUDIO [...] Index 01 on track 01 is usually 00:02:00. Holding down the reverse button backs the time up to -1:03. Lee Steel Pfizer Engineering x23660 pager: (800) 760-6206 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990812135950.009548f0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:00:59 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: bootleg recordings They're CD-Rs made by a guy in Australia. I don't own them, but I can't recommend spending that much money for CD-Rs recorded in someone's bedroom. :-) -Adam, who loves CD-Rs but wouldn't spend $30 for one At 11:47 AM 8/12/99 -0400, Steel, W Lee wrote: >Anybody know anything about these bootleg recordings? > >Can I Sing For You >As Seen On TV Part 1 ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:53:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg on larry sanders rerun .. that is if you get this "hbo signature" channel. i don't. but then, i taped this the first time it aired. ;) >>THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW, HBOSignature (Reruns) Th 8/19 "My Name is Asher Kingsley"Tom Poston, They Might Be Giants (11/20/96) << sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19990813031026.0123b9f4@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:10:26 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? And just why in the happy hell was TMBG not on Brave New World tonight? Explanation! Harf, Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "The only people for me are the mad ones: mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <710745fc.24e4e838@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:17:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? In a message dated 8/12/99 11:09:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mitcharf@tmbg.org writes: << And just why in the happy hell was TMBG not on Brave New World tonight? Explanation! >> Because they're only on 5 out of the 8 episodes (that's why). Karen "Tonight's episode was just as good as the first two, IMO" Riley MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <449a5904.24e4e6fc@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:11:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? In a message dated 8/12/99 10:09:23 PM, mitcharf@tmbg.org writes: >And just why in the happy hell was TMBG not on Brave New World tonight? > because they're not scheduled to be on until the 26th: > The Brave New World Broadcasts > THURSDAY, JULY 29 (10-11 p.m. ET) > > They Might Be Giants, performing > "You're Older Than You Were Before And Now > You're Even Older"; > THURSDAY, AUG. 5 (10-11 p.m. ET) > > They Might BeGiants in a man vs. machine duel > with a drum-playing robot from MIT > THURSDAY, AUG. 26 (10-11 p.m. ET) > "The Sixth Extinction?" They > Might Be Giants celebrate the greatest weed on Earth: Us; > THURSDAY, SEPT. 2 (10-11 p.m. ET) > "Looking for Life" - > They Might Be Giants performing > the ballad of a true-life story: The human cold germ that > went to the moon and lived to tell the tale. > THURSDAY, SEPT. 16 (10-11 p.m. ET) > "Beyond Atoms" - They Might Be Giants explore particle > physics; ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <16242ef7.24e4e819@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:16:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? In a message dated 99-08-12 23:09:23 EDT, mitcharf@tmbg.org writes: << And just why in the happy hell was TMBG not on Brave New World tonight? To quote the Road Dogg.... "Oh? You didn't KNOW? Yo' ass better CAAAAAAAAAALL somebody!" They weren't supposed to be. Unless you count the theme music, that is... Emar, working on adding John & John to WWF Attitude.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990813033658.13871.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:36:57 GMT Probably because you just can't make gentle fun of a subject like that. And besides, there are three non-TMBG BNW's, this was (obviously) one of them. Julie :) >From: Mitchell Harding >Reply-To: Mitchell Harding >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? >Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:10:26 -0500 > >And just why in the happy hell was TMBG not on Brave New World tonight? > >Explanation! > >Harf, >Mitch >http://www.mitcharf.com/ > >"The only people for me are the mad ones: mad to live, mad to talk, mad to >be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a >commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles >exploding like spiders across the stars." > - Jack Kerouac > _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <46184b98.24e4e6c9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:11:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? They are on 5 of the seven episodes. The next one they will be on is Aug. 26 Kay ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:44:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: BNW -- What the harf? In a message dated 8/12/99 10:41:33 PM, elendriel@hotmail.com writes: > >Probably because you just can't make gentle fun of a subject like that. >And >besides, there are three non-TMBG BNW's, this was (obviously) one of them. > i didn't really pay any attention to this episode ... but i did hear a bit and giggled to myself thinking they could have used the beginning of i palindrome i or ... nah. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-13 ******************************