Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 24 Tuesday, 24 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: In DC? Subject: TMBG: Re: Income Re: TMBG: mp3spy/shoutcast server TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) RE: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? RE: TMBG: ebay TMBG: Re: Income TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! TMBG: Oregon show TMBG: Re: Income -Reply TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Re: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) RE: TMBG: ebay Re: TMBG: Re: Income Re: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? Re: TMBG: ebay NONTMBG: To bring conversation to the list RE: TMBG: ebay Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Re: TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! Non-TMBG: That was odd Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT Re: TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT Re: TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT RE: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Dream! TMBG: Flans on Court TV Re: TMBG: Dream! RE: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Re: TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! Re: TMBG: Dream! Re: TMBG: Dream! TMBG: Court what? TMBG: Transcript of Flansburgh's Appearance on "Snap Judgment", Part One TMBG: Transcript of Flansburgh's Appearance on "Snap Judgment", Part Two TMBG: A Correction on Part One of the Snap Judgment Transcript Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:05:24 -0400 From: "Wen-Po Tsai" Message-ID: <7pqojr$1bu3$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: In DC? Having read the NM query, I have to ask whether anyone knows when TMBG is coming to DC. The California date is already known; at theymightbegiants.com DC is listed right after Calfornia. But since They haven't posted the LA show (at least not yet), sadly, it seems less and less likely that they'll post the DC date...and I've never seen Them in concert before! I can't miss this! Please, if you know anything more... -Dyanne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C0E888.C1D60C2F@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:22:03 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: TMBG: Re: Income [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823063947.18675.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3spy/shoutcast server Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:39:46 CDT > > Oh, and yes, you should make a lower bandwith version for us old >fashioned > > 28.8 modem users. > >Oh, you're not old fashioned.... I'm the queen of old school technology... >with >my fancy 14.4 modem and all.... Although I've a 56kbps flex modem, I can only *force* a 14.4 connection out of it! Useless! Mind you, this is due to attenuation on Bell's side of the box, but chr*st, it's annoying. Cheers, Kristina "My pen pal is coming to visit me! Hooray!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:39:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) In a message dated 99-08-16 23:17:03 EDT, you write: << Personally, I think what I like the most about DFB is watching the Johns progressively get younger in each video. :o) -A >> I like watching Linnel's hair throughout DFB. From the short hair cut in Worm, to the extremely long hair in Guitar, to the bouncy hair in Crane. While on the subject...what's everyone's favorite Linnel hair? I personally like the short Worm look. Mainly, cuz I have short hair myself... "Find a deep cave to hide in, in a million years they'll find me, only dust and a plaque that reads "Here Lies Poor Old Jack" ~TNBC Worm (Who is obsessed with TNBC after finally finding the soundtrack!) ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:17:02 -0700 Message-ID: <000001beed3f$e1594880$1ac66ac6@tooms> > yup! open more than k-mart! GAH! don't say the k-mart word!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! bridget "reminded of her pitiful existence" guildner ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 9:19:59 +0000 Subject: RE: TMBG: ebay I was having a look round ebay yesterday and there were over 50 TMBG items for sales including at least 4 copies of LTW; all of which appeared to be legal promo versions rather than bootlegs. Current bidding ranged from $21.50 to $51.00 . Views?! Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701beed47$26827f60$3d9da2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: Re: Income Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:09:04 -0700 I do recall an article that said that tmbg got 5 million for the emusic mp3 album deal..... -=eRiCh=- Alright, excuse me if y'all find this a weird question, but are the johns rich? I mean, they must be getting by if they don't have side "9-5" jobs...but would we dare call them millionares? Any opinions on how much they're worth? In a fan interview from about a year ago, Linnell tried to emphasize that they aren't as rich as you might think and said that they could easily imagine times getting hard for them if things didn't go well. I don't remember the exact quotes. It came up in his response to the "leaked" Factory Showroom Sessions tape. Linnell seemed to be saying that they can't afford for folks to be giving away their stuff for free. Anyway, I'd guess that the two Johns *combined* are not worth anywhere near million. Everyone has a different standard of what "rich" is but in general, I doubt they are wealthy. Oh well, a hungry artist makes a good artist. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C11460.73EABE6A@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:29:10 -0700 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: TMBG: Oregon show Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:36:12 -0700 Message-ID: <000901beed4a$effc3a40$1ac66ac6@tooms> is anyone on the list going to the show in portland on september 30th at the aladdin theatre? cos i am! bwahahah! bridget "three times i'll have seen 'em! not bad for oregon!" guildner bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:02:53 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Income -Reply That would be 5 million cents I suspect! Richard >>> "cannon10@wa.freei.net" 23/August/1999 11:47am >>> I do recall an article that said that tmbg got 5 million for the emusic mp3 album deal..... -=eRiCh=- Alright, excuse me if y'all find this a weird question, but are the johns rich? I mean, they must be getting by if they don't have side "9-5" jobs...but would we dare call them millionares? Any opinions on how much they're worth? In a fan interview from about a year ago, Linnell tried to emphasize that they aren't as rich as you might think and said that they could easily imagine times getting hard for them if things didn't go well. I don't remember the exact quotes. It came up in his response to the "leaked" Factory Showroom Sessions tape. Linnell seemed to be saying that they can't afford for folks to be giving away their stuff for free. Anyway, I'd guess that the two Johns *combined* are not worth anywhere near million. Everyone has a different standard of what "rich" is but in general, I doubt they are wealthy. Oh well, a hungry artist makes a good artist. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:47:15 -0400 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Message-ID: <19990823.094717.2758.1.rabbi_vole@juno.com> From: william h forsythe has anyone yet noticed what wonderful snacks these small graham cracker cookies do make? few things are so tasty; and combined with the choice of four delectable flavors, and their cute little belly buttons, nothing comparable can be found. i beg that you all leave your homes and purchase as many boxes as possible in the next half hour, and thus dine with joy. having said that, i'll move to another point: i'm now no longer part of this list. has anyone need to reach me, then i would be more than happy to hear from you at this, my new address; i have enjoyed my stay, and will probably find myself here again at some future point. or .. shall i say that .. YOU'RE ALL SO FRICKING IMMATURE! darnit! i thought this was the PERFECT PLACE, and yet .. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, skipping town! ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:36:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Message-ID: <19990823.103634.9726.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >has anyone yet noticed what wonderful snacks these small graham cracker cookies >do make? few things are so tasty; and combined with the choice of four delectable >flavors, and their cute little belly buttons, nothing comparable can be found. i beg that >you all leave your homes and purchase as many boxes as possible in the next half >hour, and thus dine with joy. you're obviously working for teddy grahms! NARC! >then i would be more than happy to hear from you at this, my new address allnudeboys@aol.com! ^__^ >YOU'RE ALL SO FRICKING IMMATURE! darnit! i thought this was the PERFECT >PLACE, and yet .. no, you're immature! you expect too much from this! what the hell is your problem?! don't come whining to us! you suck! >jay, skipping town! don't you frolic around here! you suck -- aw, i'm done. ever-sincere, eriKa, i love you, jay. ^__^ "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:32:26 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? Message-ID: <19990823.103633.9726.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" bobby s.: >There was logical thought in my head? I'm glad it's gone! thinking gives you wrinkles! bridgie t.: >>yup! open more than k-mart! >GAH! don't say the k-mart word!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! shut up! no one invited you into this! you suck! by the way... anyone heard about any ohio dates? please? i'm so pathetic, what with this no internet access and all. ever-sincere, eriKa, the four horsemen of the apocalypse can't keep me from missing them this time! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823153825.55650.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:38:25 PDT ARealWorm wrote: >In a message dated 99-08-16 23:17:03 EDT, you write: > ><< Personally, I think what I like the most about DFB is watching the > >Johns > progressively get younger in each video. :o) > -A > >> > >I like watching Linnel's hair throughout DFB. From the short hair >cut in >Worm, to the extremely long hair in Guitar, to the bouncy hair in >Crane. >While on the subject...what's everyone's favorite Linnel hair? I > >personally >like the short Worm look. Mainly, cuz I have short hair myself... I like Linnell's look in "They'll Need A Crane." The way he's constantly tossing his hair out of his face is amusing to watch. It seems like it might be a bit irritating to actually have that hairstyle, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823154349.6267.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: ebay Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:43:49 PDT Richard Hilton wrote: >I was having a look round ebay yesterday and there were over 50 TMBG >items for sales including at least 4 copies of LTW; all of which >appeared >to be legal promo versions rather than bootlegs. Current bidding >ranged >from $21.50 to $51.00 . Views?! Moral issues aside, I can't see why anyone would be willing to pay so much for a CD, even if it really is rare and out-of-print. I mean, look at something like the "I Palindrome I" EP, which could sell for around $50 at EBay. That EP has only four songs. Sure, they're good songs, but are they really worth $12.50 each? Actually, since one of them is available on _Apollo 18_, you could even say that you're paying over $16 per track, and $16 is usually enough to purchase an entire album. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823154536.50382.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Income Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:45:36 PDT eRiCh wrote: >I do recall an article that said that tmbg got 5 million for the >emusic >mp3 album deal..... Did the Johns get to keep all of this money, though? If so, maybe They ARE rich. They certainly weren't in the recent past, though. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823154715.43232.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: O list, why have you forsaken me? Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:47:15 PDT eriKa rae wrote: >bobby s.: > >There was logical thought in my head? I'm glad it's gone! > >thinking gives you wrinkles! Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream. >the four horsemen of the apocalypse can't keep me from missing them >this >time! Really? Not even Pestilence? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:52:41 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <37C16E48.D43337DC@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: ebay This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------0002D3429BC57F8E85CF7D1C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Moral issues aside, I can't see why anyone would be willing to pay so much > for a CD, even if it really is rare and out-of-print. I mean, look at > something like the "I Palindrome I" EP, which could sell for around $50 at > EBay. man, I bought I Palindrome I for only $30 at eBay. --------------0002D3429BC57F8E85CF7D1C Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="namytinifni.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for John David Crafton Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="namytinifni.vcf" begin:vcard n:Crafton;John David x-mozilla-html:TRUE adr:;;;;;; version:2.1 email;internet:naMytinifnI@yahoo.com fn:John David Crafton end:vcard --------------0002D3429BC57F8E85CF7D1C-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:34:34 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: To bring conversation to the list Message-ID: I can be like an internet telemarketer, I'm getting quite good at it (even though I'm so non-pressuresome and no one has bought anything from me yet). I'm sure that'll stir up the list. Oh, yeah, I've been advertising my new CD (mp3.com CD) all over the goddamn place (pardon my French). So if you see it, just know I'm being American-capitalist-pig or something: http://www.mp3.com/poingly (Featuring the hit single "Britney Spears Had a Boob Job"). er, maybe not. --jason "not reconsidering" glastetter ==================================================================== http://www.poingly.com - - Home of the infamous Poingly online game! http://www.mp3.com/poingly - - Purchase those darn Poingly CDs here! ==================================================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990823123207.00964d70@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:35:05 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: RE: TMBG: ebay Collectors' instinct....it can't be explained. I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on music collectables in the past ($55 for an incredibly rare 7"; non-TMBG, though), and although I have I Palindrome I on CD-R, I'd be willing to pay $20-$30 or so for an original copy. $50 is a little much, though, but it all comes down to what people are willing to spend. I've made quite a bit of money auctioning CDs on eBay (I made a couple hundred dollars -- $95 of it profit -- auctioning just 6 CDs which weren't particularly rare). -Adam At 08:43 AM 8/23/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Moral issues aside, I can't see why anyone would be willing to pay so much >for a CD, even if it really is rare and out-of-print. I mean, look at >something like the "I Palindrome I" EP, which could sell for around $50 at >EBay. That EP has only four songs. Sure, they're good songs, but are >they really worth $12.50 each? Actually, since one of them is available >on _Apollo 18_, you could even say that you're paying over $16 per track, >and $16 is usually enough to purchase an entire album. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:25:52 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) Message-ID: <19990823.132600.9726.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >I like Linnell's look in "They'll Need A Crane." The way he's constantly >tossing his hair out of his face is amusing to watch. It seems like it >might be a bit irritating to actually have that hairstyle, though. In that video, his hair kind of reminds me of how Brad Dourif's looked in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - just a whole lot of hair going everywhere. He looks really cute in that suit though too. Precious, even. I like how he looks in Puppet Head too. And Don't Let's Start. He's just adorable in those early videos. ^__^ And this ends my Linnell gushing for the day. Whee! ever-sincere, eriKa, think I'll go watch DFB again. "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C18DDA.5D700B33@airmail.net> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:07:22 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell hair (was DFB aka Hotel Detective) My favorite Linnell hair would have to be what he has now; I really like it short. For a good laugh, though, check out LimeZinger's page. She has a nice album sticker showing our dear John Sidney with the 80's do from hell. If you ever needed proof that the Johns experimented with controlled substances at one point, this is it, folks. ;) Think early Michael Stipe hair only worse, Danielle -- We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. --XTC ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:10:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams Message-ID: <19990823.151003.2926.0.rabbi_vole@juno.com> From: william h forsythe >you're obviously working for teddy grahms! NARC! you're onto me! proctor & gamble are paying me millions of dollars to be an undercover teddy graham advertisement promoter. darn you! and i would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you pesky kids! >>then i would be more than happy to hear from you at this, my new >address > >allnudeboys@aol.com! ^__^ no. actually, i made it for you--it's allnudebobscott@aol.com .. i hope you like it! >no, you're immature! you expect too much from this! what the hell is >your problem?! don't come whining to us! you suck! it's you and your SOCIETY FOLLOWING tmbg listee peers who suck! boo! down on all of you! >i love you, jay. ^__^ peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who really does love erika, but shouldn't be contributing to this thread as he's no longer an official list member. sorry. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990823194926.58424.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Alex Cobain" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:49:22 PDT > > > > YESSSS!!!! > > I don't know what else to say...I'm so happy!.... > > > > September 27-28 > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > > > > Finally, for all of us California fans who are so often left to dream of > > the event. > > > > Someone on the list recently mentioned the possibility of TMBG >playing L.A. soon >(maybe it was Dexter Flansburgh). Anyway, there's this guy at my work, Tito >that >occasionally comes up to me and says. "hey G, They Might Be Giants is going >to be >playing". I know he's only joking but I always play along and ask him "Oh >yeah? Where?" >He'll say something like Irvine Meadows or L.A. Sports Arena and I'll know >he's lying >because those places are too huge for TMBG to play. This time he said it >was at The House >of Blues, which happens to be TMBG's L.A. venue of choice. It turns out its >true! Its >amazing because TMBG usually comes out West every 2-3 years and yet its >only been about a >year since they visited us and they are back! SoCal TMBG shows almost >always sell out and >the fans are very enthusiastic. Maybe THEY have finally noticed how much we >love them! > > > > I didn't ask in my last post, but who here plans to attend the House of > > Blues shows in LA? > > > > > I got my tix and I'll be there with bells on! (I gotta remember to stop >at my local bell >shop on the way to the show.) See you there! > > >"Alex Cobain" wrote: > > >Is the house of blues 21 and over? Please say it's not! > > In the past couple of years I've been to The House of Blues many times >and every time >its been 21 and over. That's a shame since so many TMBG fans are under 21. >I'm well over >21 but I ALWAYS get carded.... yet at the last couple of HOB shows I've >been to, they >didn't check my ID (or anyone else's'.) So if you want to risk the drive >and the ticket >price, you *might* get in. Good luck! > >-B O N G O >(PS: Yiiiiiipeeeeee!) This is a major bummer! How dare they play at a 21 and over club! Why can't they just play at the Coach House like last time! That show really rocked! So now I have to wait another 2-3 years for them to come out here! That sucks! A very depressed TMBG fan, Alex Cobain _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (The Unforgiven Zero) Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Non-TMBG: That was odd Message-ID: <646-37C1B038-9603@postoffice-243.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Well, I think that I was accidentally unsubscribed from the list, cause I wasn't getting any messages at all (unless it's really been that dead, which I thoroughly doubt). But that's all been taken care of, and I'm back! Aren't you all so excited? I just couldn't stand to stay away from you guys any longer. Anyway, did I miss anything important? Fill me in. Your's...somewhat, Dexter M. Flansburgh "If you see Murphy Brown, shoot her down" -Yoyodyne, _The Ballad of Murphy Brown_ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:00:09 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37C1B659.8B7C46FC@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: thine mortality is like teddy grahams william h forsythe wrote: > >>then i would be more than happy to hear from you at this, my new > >address > > > >allnudeboys@aol.com! ^__^ > > no. actually, i made it for you--it's allnudebobscott@aol.com .. i hope > you like it! Well, that just goes and takes the tiny graham cookie, then, don't it? I was gonna respond to the Cap'n's message with a chimey, "Hey! That's MY email address!", but now it is gone... Thank you Jay... Thank you so bloody much for spoiling THAT bit of fun! :P > >i love you, jay. ^__^ > > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > > jay, who really does love erika, but shouldn't be contributing to this > thread as he's no longer an official list member. sorry. Are you some kind of temporal being existing both on and off the list at the same time? Are you quantum Jay? Bob "Wondering how long it can take UPS to deliver one tiny package... Bah!" Scott ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:57:29 EDT Subject: TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT The Official Snap Judgement website http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/snapjudgment/ mentions John Flansburgh appearing in TONIGHTS EPISODE at 7:30 pm, and rerun at 11:30pm and 2 am Mon AUG 23 - LIES, LIES, LIES Love flies the coop and furniture walks out the door. Both are never heard from again. We take a new and refreshing look at a fight over a rim. Rock musician John Flansburgh from the band "They Might be Giants" joins Lionel in our studio. Jordan ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:01:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT In a message dated 8/23/99 5:59:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: << http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/snapjudgment/ mentions John Flansburgh appearing in TONIGHTS EPISODE at 7:30 pm, and rerun at 11:30pm and 2 am >> Woopsie, make that 11 pm, not 11:30pm Yay! Jordan ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:33:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Reminder: JOHN FLANSBURGH ON COURT TV TONIGHT You lucky people that see the show must tell us poor, non cable folks what happened on the show, alright? ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:41:00 -0700 Message-ID: Hi Everyone, I have started a special interest list at ONELIST for all of you CD ROM Burners specifically for trading CDr copies of bootleg recordings. NOT FOR PIRATE COPIES OF COMMERCIAL ALBUMS! I am very interested in exchanging good quality material with other TMBG fans like myself. Hope to see some of you there. Lee ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: <7607d039.24f327f0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:40:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! He has a kid? I didn't know that. When did this happen? Who's his wife? Is Flansburgh married-any kids? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:57:59 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Message-ID: <19990823.185801.9774.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >He has a kid? I didn't know that. When did this happen? Who's his wife? Linnell is married to a lady named Karen, and they have a very young son named Henry. >Is Flansburgh married-any kids? Flansy is married to a lady named Robin Somethingorotherwiththeword"gold"init (Goldwasser? I don't know.). No kids.. YET! (dum dum dum!) ever-sincere, eriKa, by the time I post this, someone will probably have already answered. not gonna stop me though! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:15:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! How did you find out about this? When did they get married? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990823194945.00925900@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:53:03 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: TMBG: Flans on Court TV Wow... Snap Judgement is such an awesome show... They showed these court cases where both parties were pretty much full of it, and then they make fun of them in an intellectually funny manner. The guy said "John Flansburg of They Might Be Giants" after every commercial break (about 6 times it seems). John seemed kinda intimidated by the host or something like that. The host hass a very "strong" presence. John also looked kinda funny in the suit he was wearing. I guess if your going to be on court tv, you'd best come dressed for court. Later, the hanged man ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:29:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Message-ID: <19990823.203210.9550.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >How did you find out about this? Here. I'm sure it's on the FAQ or something though. >When did they get married? Probably in the spring. It's such a dreamy time, with all the flowers in bloom and the birds in the trees. I have no idea. ever-sincere, eriKa, and there was a flower girl and a big pretty cake! mmmm! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:41:36 -0700 Message-ID: Sorry, I failed to mention that the list is called TMBG-CDR -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Lee Steel Sent: Monday, August 23, 1999 6:41 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: TMBG: "What We Did This Summer" Realaudio Hi Everyone, I have started a special interest list at ONELIST for all of you CD ROM Burners specifically for trading CDr copies of bootleg recordings. NOT FOR PIRATE COPIES OF COMMERCIAL ALBUMS! I am very interested in exchanging good quality material with other TMBG fans like myself. Hope to see some of you there. Lee ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <4e1709c9.24f35073@aol.com> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:33:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: They're coming to Los Angeles! In a message dated 99-08-23 05:26:08 EDT, you write: << In the past couple of years I've been to The House of Blues many times and every time its been 21 and over. That's a shame since so many TMBG fans are under 21. I'm well over 21 but I ALWAYS get carded.... yet at the last couple of HOB shows I've been to, they didn't check my ID (or anyone else's'.) So if you want to risk the drive and the ticket price, you *might* get in. Good luck! >> Last year, They also played at the Coach House (or something like that) on the tour, which is fun for all ages. Any word on if they plan on doing that again? Also, its too bad they dont play in irvine meadows. Even if i couldnt afford the tickets, my house is well within earshot. I'm not a real doctor "hey! hey! counterfet fake!" but i am a real worm "all alone, all by myself" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990824041115.6777.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:11:15 PDT eriKa rae wrote: >Flansy is married to a lady named Robin >Somethingorotherwiththeword"gold"init (Goldwasser? I don't know.). Her last name is indeed Goldwasser. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990824041246.68351.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:12:46 PDT eriKa rae wrote: > >When did they get married? > >Probably in the spring. It's such a dreamy time, with all the flowers >in >bloom and the birds in the trees. Don't forget the biplanes bombing with fluffy pillows. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01beedeb$82f8e640$5a228a81@rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Court what? Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:45:38 -0600 J.F.'s going to be on Court TV? When? I sorta deleted that message a tad fast... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico My Shoutcast channel is at 129.138.34.90:7050. No guarantee it'll be up all the time, but at least it's a start, no? Oh yeah. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550 The first Julie Plug tribute page in history!!! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <4e17c1f5.24f37c5b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:40:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: Transcript of Flansburgh's Appearance on "Snap Judgment", Part One This is a transcript of John Flansburgh's appearance on Snap Judgment...I summarized only where necessary (Lionel is the host of the show): Lionel: Hello, and welcome to Snap Judgment -- the show that's not afraid to lie to your face. This show rocks! I'm your host, Lionel, a lawyer, who decided to use my powers for good instead of evil...then later decided to use them to get girls. Tonight, we'll look at a case of love and furniture loss...also, a tongue-in-cheek look at a fight over who gets a rim...plus, from the band "They Might Be Giants," who joins us in our studio...but first, there's something we need to talk about... {Story about a guy who got a tattoo written in the wrong Chinese lettering on his back} {Commercial} Lionel: Welcome back to Snap Judgment, the show that took the Bar Exam five times, because that's where you'll find women with their self-esteem at it's lowest. Turning to brighter matters, I am honored to have the gentleman sitting here watching tonight's feature trial with me. He is one half, the moiety, of the popular alternative rock band, "They Might Be Giants." Aside from constant touring and recording, the band has recently released their new album, "Long Tall Weekend," on the Mp3 format, and they appear on a regular basis on the ABC series, "Brave New World." {camera on John} Please welcome music giant, John Flansburgh. {John smiles, lifts an arm, waving hello} John: Hello Cable America! {John & Lionel share a laugh} Lionel: Basic cable. John, welcome, and thank you for being here. {Lionel introduces the court case on the rim fight, between a man and woman} Lionel: With me is John Flansburgh, from the band "They Might Be Giants"...John, they're talking about cars, all this rim talk {camera on John} John: You know, I actually read about this case in "They're All Lying Quarterly," and it's a fascinating one. {Lionel laughs} My favorite part of the tape is always looking at the people in the back falling out. Just going like BWAHAHA! {tilting his head back in laughter} you know? {Lionel laughs} Lionel: And if you like that, wait till you get a load of this one {John smiles}... {Lionel introduces the beginning of the court case on love and furniture loss, between a man and a woman -- the woman has a very heavy Spanish accent} Lionel: You know, once upon a time, these people had something beautiful...nah, they didn't. From the rock group "They Might Be Giants," John Flansburgh is here to weave his version of this love story {camera on John}. John, I have seen many trials in my life, both as a lawyer and a host here. {John nods} I don't understand what the hell's going on here. Help me. John: Lionel {stated matter-of-factly}... Lionel: Yes? John: They are all lying. {he smiles -- Lionel laughs} Lionel: They might or must be lying. John: Yes. You know, I can't help but wonder if the judge is just thinking "I could have gone to med school," during that trial {Lionel laughs}. Lionel: You're right, this Solomon-esque judge, at least in the first case in this -- every single day, you are picking up the shards of the flotsam and jetsam of love affairs, shards of life, the detritus of these...it's a maze! John: Detritus... Lionel: Yes, thank you. John: The ephemera {smiles broadly}... Lionel: Indeed...ooh, I like that...smart! Now, what basically is the issue here? Who's telling the truth between the plaintiff...by the way, the defendant looks like Grover Washington, Jr., did you notice that? John: Oh, yeah, yeah... Lionel: There's a slight resemblance there...Where are we? Help me, John Flansburgh. John: Uh, I don't know...{Lionel laughs} I tend to believe her, just because I know that all men are liars. Um, but I don't know... Lionel: She is not? John: She probably is lying, too. But it's very confusing...I'm always amazed at the necessity, for people who appear to be living on the margins of their own personal economy, what their need to buy furniture is... Lionel: {trying to interject} I suppose I can see the point... John: You know, I have a nice spare apartment, little bit of space, seems kind've luxurious in the city. Lionel: Sure!...Well, if you think that's complicated, it gets a whole lot better. Coming up after the break, everything gets all cleaned up...{Lionel comments to Flansburgh -- "Fantastic!"} {Commercial} ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <92f4e3a9.24f3802f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:57:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: Transcript of Flansburgh's Appearance on "Snap Judgment", Part Two This is the conclusion (Part Two) of John Flansburgh's appearance on the Court TV program, Snap Judgment... Lionel: Welcome back to Snap Judgment, the show that doesn't know exactly what adverse possession is, but thinks it sounds a little...you know...fruity. We're honored to be watching this trial with John Flansburgh {camera on John}, from the monster band, "They Might Be Giants." And thank you again for being with us. John: It's a pleasure to be here. {Lionel introduces the conclusion of the court case on love and furniture loss -- the final judgment in the case is both parties receive *Nil*} Lionel: Is it possible to throw both sides in jail over a civil matter? The judge says the defendant is perjuring himself, or herself, when she says the plaintiff didn't leave any furniture, or pay rent -- and the plaintiff is lying when he says he made child support payments, even though, as a matter of fact, he has receipts. The judge deals with that, basically, by kicking them out of his courtroom -- and who can blame him? Blaming me for having to watch this whole thing is musician extraordinaire, John Flansburgh. {John smiles broadly} John, what is this case about, sir? What's the theme? John: My judgment? Nil. Lionel: No, no, no, no. {John's smile begins to wane} You know what I'm saying...what's this human thing that's going on here? What is this about, really? {John looks like he's deep in thought} John: Well, uh...you know, I think there's more going on in the relationship between them. I think the reason they're so confused about their breakup is because they actually might not have ever really broken up. Lionel: Or, really been together... John: Well, I think they were really together. I think they were maybe even made for each other {smiling}. Lionel: {he points at Flansburgh} This is about revenge, my friend. John: Yes...yes. Lionel: That is the essence of this. You see, these cases are never about, really about, the child support payments, or whatever it is -- it's different. It's, "You broke my heart, you broke up. I'm not done with you yet.." John: Right. Lionel: "But how dare you leave my life...I'm gonna turn right back around and come back in here." --and that's really what we're dealing with. John: Are these films a matter of public record? Lionel: Yes. John: Do you have to have permission from those people to show them?...Just in court... Lionel: They are public record, my friend. John {trying to interject} And the judge... Lionel: They are public. The court, the Sixth Amendment says you have the right to a public and a speedy trial. John: To be videotaped and broadcast? Lionel: Right here. Did you ever hear of the name O.J. Simpson? John: Yeah, I guess he didn't have to give his permission for that. Lionel: This goes on every day in your courtroom -- in every city, things like this. Opera. Human opera...John Flansburgh, thank you! John: Thank you! Lionel: Thank you for being who you are. You know {looking at camera}, you can download "They Might Be Giants' " latest full-length Mp3 recording, "Long Tall Weekend," at www.goodnoise.com. ****************************************************************************** ******************** Karen "It's not my birthday tomorrow, oh no it's not" Riley (and I don't have a dog who shares a name with that Hurricane/Tropical Storm down in Texas, hell no, I most certainly do not :-) ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <36c0b5b1.24f3841e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:14:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: A Correction on Part One of the Snap Judgment Transcript Looking over the first part of what I just sent, the text below is a correction (John's introduction line was previously incorrect). Sorry about that, folks... << Lionel: Hello, and welcome to Snap Judgment -- the show that's not afraid to lie to your face. This show rocks! I'm your host, Lionel, a lawyer, who decided to use my powers for good instead of evil...then later decided to use them to get girls. Tonight, we'll look at a case of love and furniture loss...also, a tongue-in-cheek look at a fight over who gets a rim...plus, from the band "They Might Be Giants," John Flansburgh joins us in our studio...but first, there's something we need to talk about... >> Karen *** I must be getting sleepy, making mistakes...gotta clean tomorrow morning, with my parents coming over and everything {sigh}...I really need to get some rest {phooey}. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-24 ******************************