Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-26 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 26 Thursday, 26 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Irving Plaza track listing Re: TMBG: sensurround TMBG: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: e-mailing..... Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... TMBG: my conundrum Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: my conundrum Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990825084033.88227.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Dexter Flansburgh" Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza track listing Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:40:33 PDT For the others on this list who recieved the Irving Plaza discs from Mr. Steel, you may find it rather confusing while skipping from track to track, based on the setlist on the back cover. So, here's the complete tracklist. You can print it out or whatever. I hope this makes it a little more clear: _DISC 1_ 1] {blank} 2] Gigantor (intro) 3] Sorry I Fucked Up the Show 4] James K. Polk 5] {crowd noises & cheering} 6] 7] (She Thinks She's) Edith Head 8] Ana Ng 9] Your Racist Friend 10] 11] {nothing really} 12] {still nothing really} 13] {more nothingness} 14] Spiraling Shape 15] She's Actual Size 16] 'till my Head Falls off 17] 18] Don't Let's Start 19] 20] Cyclops Rock 21] She's An Angel 22] 23] Particle Man 24] 25] Maybe I Know (Messed up) 26] Maybe I Know (Corrected) 27] {crowd noises & cheering} 28] Spy 29] Upside Down/Inside Out 30] Mr. Tambourine Man 31] Why Does the Sun Shine? 32] Tempe, AZ story & Born in a Graveyard(the glockenspiel) 33] {blank} _DISC 2_ 1] {blank} 2] Shoehorn With Teeth (cut at beginning) 3] <"Brave New World" plug> 4] Older 5] 6] It's so Loud in Here 7] Birdhouse in Your Soul 8] Spider 9] The Guitar (first half) 10] {bits of "The Guitar"} 11] The Guitar (end half) 12] 13] Dr. Evil 14] 15] Dr. Worm 16] New York City 17] {crowd noises & cheering} 18] Exquisite Dead Guy 19] 20] Istanbul (not Constantinople) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:08:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: sensurround Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! Wow, my favorite show. I wish I'd known! (How did tmbg get mixed up with that crazy gang?) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:22:15 -0400 From: Peter Ohlert Message-ID: <37C41836.B6D21F7A@icdc.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: State Songs Release Date and Info! I don't know if this has been posted before, but i haven't seen it. from www.rounder.com State songs is set to be released on 10/26/99 John Linnell, State Songs Zoe 1005 CD $14.98 Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal songwriter for They Might Be Giants. Years in the making, State Songs is a thematic collection, with each song about a different state (we're not telling which ones). John Linnell began this project for the Hello Recording Club, which released an EP in 1994, and he plans eventually to bring his playful yet intellectually stimulating touch to songs about all 50 states. Voted the 9th Most Beautiful Person in People magazine's online poll, Linnell has also appeared with TMBG multiple times on the Conan O'Brien, David Letterman and the Tonight shows. He continues to tour frequently with They Might Be Giants partner John Flansburgh and band. -- ****************** Peter Ohlert Web Developer Internet Connect, Inc. (877)GET-ICDC ohlert@icdc.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:18:07 GMT From: crow9864@mindspring.com (Kevin Sullivan) Message-ID: <37c45d4c.8847274@news.mindspring.com> Organization: Mindspring Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Peter Ohlert wrote: >I don't know if this has been posted before, but i haven't seen it. > >from www.rounder.com > >State songs is set to be released on 10/26/99 > >John Linnell, State Songs > >Zoe 1005 > >CD $14.98 >Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal >songwriter for They Might Be Giants. THE principal songwriter? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C46233.5BB17C2@fruhead.com> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:37:55 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Kevin Sullivan wrote: > >Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal > >songwriter for They Might Be Giants. > > THE principal songwriter? Yeah, of course. "Spitting Contest" was written by Linnell and is (of course) about high school principal George Spitting and his plan to increase literacy in his grade schools by rewarding them with foodstuffs. And you all know what happened at the of "Spitting Contest" right? - Chad ------------------------------ Date: 25 Aug 1999 21:36:39 GMT From: mdunn@force.stwing.upenn.edu (Matt Dunn) Message-ID: <7q1nl7$tco$1@netnews.upenn.edu> Organization: Andy's Lab Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Kevin Sullivan (crow9864@mindspring.com) wrote: : >Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal : >songwriter for They Might Be Giants. : THE principal songwriter? I can see an uneducated not quite fan saying this... Think about most of the more "popular" (and by popular I mean recognized by non-fans) TMBG songs. Birdhouse, Particle Man, Istanbul, Ana Ng, and maybe Dr. Worm. With the exception of Istanbul, which is a cover anyway, didn't Linnell write all the others? On an unrelated note, I am still desperately trying to turn my wife into a fan. I've gotten her hooked on She's an Angel and Nothin's gonna change my clothes, but progress is slow... As it turns out, she makes judgement calls - I like that song, I don't really like that one. That song hurts my ears (STD version of XTC vs. Adam Ant, guitar intro part). Anyway, the point is, to a song, every song she likes is written by Linnell, every one she doesn't is Flansy's. Damn shame. - -- Matt Dunn - mdunn@stwing.org - http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~mdunn "Is the Thermostat engulfed in flames, or is it just me?" - J. Linnell ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:53:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Do you think this cd will be in big stores, like best buy or sam goody? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:17:05 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Message-ID: <19990825.181707.12318.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Yeah, of course. "Spitting Contest" was written by Linnell and is >(of course) about high school principal George Spitting and his >plan to increase literacy in his grade schools by rewarding them >with foodstuffs. And you all know what happened at the >of "Spitting Contest" right? What are you talking about? Spitting Contest is about how much They love to spit on the fans in concert, and how many points They get for hitting various parts of the anatomy (the verse about the girl at the New York show is hilarious!). I have a rare 45 with Spitting Contest on it, and it only cost the little fingers of my neighbors! What a deal! It's the only copy in Canada! (and I don't even live in Canada! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) >>Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal >>songwriter for They Might Be Giants. >THE principal songwriter? Well, look at DFB. It's got all(? most, at least) the singles. The only ones that are really Flans are Hotel Detective and Puppet Head (well, technically, The Guitar is mostly Flansy too, but there's not too many lyrics...). So I guess I could see how Linnell is portrayed as that. Doesn't mean it's accurate, but hey. ever-sincere, eriKa, Oregon is bad! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Moronwalk@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:56:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: e-mailing..... Since They'll be touring I'm going around e-mailing the all late night shows and telling them they should get the band on their show. I think other people should do this too. Maybe they'll listen and we can see the band on TV some more! I'm think there's a good chance they'll get on Letterman because they've been on a lot. -Kimberly ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990825231927.39542.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:18:45 CDT >Since They'll be touring I'm going around e-mailing the all late night >shows >and telling them they should get the band on their show. I think other >people should do this too. Maybe they'll listen and we can see the band on >TV some more! I'm think there's a good chance they'll get on Letterman >because they've been on a lot. I think this is a pretty good idea, but do you have the addresses? I certainly don't. Kristina "Blarg!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:29:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... In a message dated 8/25/99 6:03:08 PM, Moronwalk@aol.com writes: >Since They'll be touring I'm going around e-mailing the all late night >shows >and telling them they should get the band on their show. I think other > >people should do this too. Maybe they'll listen and we can see the band >on >TV some more! I'm think there's a good chance they'll get on Letterman > >because they've been on a lot. > uhh... what does this tour have that's different from the other tours they've done in the past 2 years? besides, letterman (and conan) tape out of new york, which wouldn't work if they're out on the left coast (and leno sucks ;)) ....no, but seriously... bands are *usually* booked several months in advance... the conan muscial guest lineup is already planned out into october i believe (by the way, moxy fruvous'll be on in september). they haven't really done a show appearance since '96, i believe (not counting stuff like penn & teller and viva variety) ...and that was to promote the release of factory showroom. when they release a new major album, i'm sure conan will have them on again. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01beef57$0ca0a380$d09ea2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: TMBG: my conundrum Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:07:55 -0700 I didnt read any of the posts on the LA show cause it didnt apply to me-- until now. Im moving from seattle to LA in two weeks and will be there when tmbg plays in sept is it 27 & 28th? did i see 2 shows? and are they 21 and older? both of them or just one?? because im moving i could end up missing them and that would suck royaly. -=eRiCh=- ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <5759a822.24f5e0bf@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:13:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > Anyway, the point is, to a song, every song she likes is written > by Linnell, every one she doesn't is Flansy's. Damn shame. I'm the same way, except it's a combination of who writes them and who sings them. Songs like "Puppet Head" are great, I mean, I love that one, but some of Flansy's others (Hotel Detective, Dirtbike, and Pet Name, to name a few) are really, at least from my point of view, a bit uninteresting. I DID give them a chance, however, as each new album I buy I listen to several times in a row (Several here meaning any digit higher than 5) and decide for myself which ones are my favorites. ...Is it just me, or are TMBG songs looked on the same way by about everyone? It seems to be everyone either loves a song or really isn't interested in it. Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel Detective", and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling Shape". This is what I've found thus far anyway... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C48B98.D7213D81@airmail.net> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:34:32 -0500 From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > > > Anyway, the point is, to a song, every song she likes is written > > by Linnell, every one she doesn't is Flansy's. Damn shame. > > I'm the same way, except it's a combination of who writes them and who sings > them. Songs like "Puppet Head" are great, I mean, I love that one, but some > of Flansy's others (Hotel Detective, Dirtbike, and Pet Name, to name a few) > are really, at least from my point of view, a bit uninteresting. I DID give > them a chance, however, as each new album I buy I listen to several times in > a row (Several here meaning any digit higher than 5) and decide for myself > which ones are my favorites. > ...Is it just me, or are TMBG songs looked on the same way by about > everyone? It's just you. ;) > It seems to be everyone either loves a song or really isn't > interested in it. Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel > Detective", Now you have. Even my TMBG-hating father likes that song. > and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling Shape". That song's OK, but it kind of wore on me after a while. It's a tad long for my tastes. > This is what I've found thus far anyway... Then again, I actually like "You'll Miss Me," so what do I know? ;) In her prime and never shoddy, Danielle -- We're all Jesus, Buddha, and the Wizard of Oz. --XTC ------------------------------ From: garrett27@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:36:25 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: my conundrum Message-ID: <19990825.173626.-769067.1.Garrett27@juno.com> I'm not sure whether it's one or two shows at the House of Blues. The article in the paper said 27th and 28th, but tickmaster online only listed the 27th and it did say that it is a 21 and older show which angers me. Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <54ea0a59.24f5e560@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:33:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/25/99 6:22:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hotel_detective1@juno.com writes: > What are you talking about? Spitting Contest is about how much They love > to spit on the fans in concert, and how many points They get for hitting > various parts of the anatomy (the verse about the girl at the New York > show is hilarious!). I have a rare 45 with Spitting Contest on it, and it > only cost the little fingers of my neighbors! What a deal! It's the only > copy in Canada! > > (and I don't even live in Canada! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) I've never ever HEARD of a song called Spitting Contest! Is it on the tmbg.org site lyrics database..? I want it now! :) Which reminds me, have you ever read the lyrics to a TMBG song you've never heard and been like, "How can that POSSIBLY be fit to music?!" and then hear it and be completely awestruck? > >>Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal > >>songwriter for They Might Be Giants. > >THE principal songwriter? > > Well, look at DFB. It's got all(? most, at least) the singles. The only > ones that are really Flans are Hotel Detective and Puppet Head (well, > technically, The Guitar is mostly Flansy too, but there's not too many > lyrics...). So I guess I could see how Linnell is portrayed as that. > Doesn't mean it's accurate, but hey. I think in this case, "Principal Songwriter" might (Excuse me, Might :)) simply refer to the fact that he DOES write MORE songs than Flansy. I mean, the majority of songs on ANY album are done by him. ~Lydia DaShpidah@tmbg.org "This song has been commonly misunderstood.. people seem to think it's about alcoholism but we are family entertainment and this song is about amphetamines and barbiturates, actually so please don't get the wrong idea. -John F" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990825203954.0095bb40@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:41:23 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Those are 2 of the only songs I can think of like that. :-) "Hotel Detective"...I don't know what they were thinking when it was decided to release that as a single. Seriously, if "She's An Angel" were released in its place, TMBG may have turned out incredibly differently. -Adam At 08:13 PM 8/25/99 -0400, HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > ...Is it just me, or are TMBG songs looked on the same way by about >everyone? It seems to be everyone either loves a song or really isn't >interested in it. Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel >Detective", and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling Shape". >This is what I've found thus far anyway... ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:41:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/25/99 8:35:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, HeYAnArChY@aol.com writes: << I think in this case, "Principal Songwriter" might (Excuse me, Might :)) simply refer to the fact that he DOES write MORE songs than Flansy. I mean, the majority of songs on ANY album are done by him >> Except on Apollo 18. Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:37:05 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Message-ID: <19990825.204914.8622.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel >Detective", I like Hotel Detective. And Pet Name. *And* Dirt Bike. Am I crazy? >and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling Shape". Well, it's catchy. But if I were to play Spiralling Shape to any of my friends, they would hate it. But my friends suck. ever-sincere, eriKa, "turn off this They Must Be Giants! let's play some crap!" "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:57:10 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Message-ID: <19990825.205942.8622.2.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >I've never ever HEARD of a song called Spitting Contest! Is it on the >tmbg.org site lyrics database..? I want it now! :) You have to smash your copy of Lincoln into six small pieces and then glue it back together and - wow! - Spitting Contest! > Which reminds me, have you ever read the lyrics to a TMBG song you've >never heard and been like, "How can that POSSIBLY be fit to music?!" and then >hear it and be completely awestruck? I don't understand this question, but I know when I don't understand the lyrics, and then I read them somewhere, when I hear the song again it becomes much clearer. ever-sincere, eriKa, and then put John Henry in the microwave for twenty minutes and - boom! - Spitting Contest! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:23:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > It's an in-joke on the list. I forget where it came from, but when you see > references to "Matt's Life Savings" and messages with "And what about > Careless Santa?" near the end, those are all jokes from like 3 years ago > that never stopped. :-) > Curses! ~Lydia Foiled again ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:31:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > You have to smash your copy of Lincoln into six small pieces and then > glue it back together and - wow! - Spitting Contest! Dud! ...like.. Now I have to buy TWO copies of Lincoln! > > > Which reminds me, have you ever read the lyrics to a TMBG song > you've > >never heard and been like, "How can that POSSIBLY be fit to music?!" and > then > >hear it and be completely awestruck? > > > > I don't understand this question, but I know when I don't understand the > lyrics, and then I read them somewhere, when I hear the song again it > becomes much clearer. I just meant that their lyric/rhythm schemes are so complex! Few of them have consistent rhymes or rhythms and it's mindboggling to hear them on music after you've only read the lyrics. Artwork! ~Lydia I don't have a sig. ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:46:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Songs like "Puppet Head" are great, I mean, I love that one, but > some > > of Flansy's others (Hotel Detective, Dirtbike, and Pet Name, to name a few) > > > are really, at least from my point of view, a bit uninteresting. I must really be in the minority here, because Pet Name is easily one of my favorite TMBG songs. Beth ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C49E90.D837EFE5@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:55:28 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: > I've never ever HEARD of a song called Spitting Contest! Is it on the > tmbg.org site lyrics database..? I want it now! :) I think it has something to do with Careless Santa. :) > Which reminds me, have you ever read the lyrics to a TMBG song you've > never heard and been like, "How can that POSSIBLY be fit to music?!" and then > hear it and be completely awestruck? yeah, I remember reading the liner notes to John Henry when it came out before I actually listened to the CD. And I read End of the Tour and was like "Eh..." but then I heard it and thought it was amazing... as a counterpoint, Snail Shell sounded really interesting lyrically, but the music did nothing for me... > I think in this case, "Principal Songwriter" might (Excuse me, Might :)) > simply refer to the fact that he DOES write MORE songs than Flansy. I mean, > the majority of songs on ANY album are done by him. actually, I think it's really close to 50-50. Whether or not Linnell's 50% contribution is higher quality than Flansburgh's is up for debate. :) -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C4A05A.3541B05D@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:03:06 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Matt Dunn wrote: > I can see an uneducated not quite fan saying this... Think about > most of the more "popular" (and by popular I mean recognized by non-fans) > TMBG songs. Birdhouse, Particle Man, Istanbul, Ana Ng, and maybe Dr. > Worm. With the exception of Istanbul, which is a cover anyway, didn't > Linnell write all the others? yes, and the other singles, too - I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, Snail Shell... the only Flansburgh singles are S-E-X-X-Y, Hotel Detective, and The Guitar. > On an unrelated note, I am still desperately trying to turn my > wife into a fan. I've gotten her hooked on She's an Angel and Nothin's > gonna change my clothes, but progress is slow... As it turns out, she > makes judgement calls - I like that song, I don't really like that one. > That song hurts my ears (STD version of XTC vs. Adam Ant, guitar intro > part). Anyway, the point is, to a song, every song she likes is written > by Linnell, every one she doesn't is Flansy's. Damn shame. makes perfect sense. Linnell is much more consistent a songwriter than Flansburgh is. This is not to say Flansburgh can't write good songs, but when he writes not-so-good songs, they seem to stand out much more as being not-so-good. And I'm inclined to agree. Flansburgh hasn't written any songs I consider worth listening to since 1994... mostly. Reprehensible is the exception, and that's not exactly in wide circulation. -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <224b96a1.24f5f8bf@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:56:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/25/99 9:50:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Azelma1115@aol.com writes: > I must really be in the minority here, because Pet Name is easily one of my > favorite TMBG songs. Nonono! One, at the time, I just was leafing though the TMBG CDs looking for an example and that's the first one I came up with, I actually do like that one a bit. And two, do I need to put up a disclaimer "WARNING: The Views of said Lydia Q. Linnellfan DO NOT necessarily reflect the views of the majority!"? What I wrote was really one big "Does anyone else see this?" question. Sorry if I offended, you can flog me if you like! You can even have biplanes bomb be as long as it's with fluffy pillows ;) ~Lydia NOT the tattooed lady ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <86e09b4c.24f5f959@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:58:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/25/99 8:50:56 PM, Azelma1115@aol.com writes: >I must really be in the minority here, because Pet Name is easily one of >my >favorite TMBG songs. > we are in the minority, i believe. i love it too. i recall when FS came out, as everyone discussed each song, there were ...less than 5 of us who liked pet name. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990825220819.00957890@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:12:18 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! My feelings about Pet Name are kind of odd. It's a track I really enjoy listening to when I play FS, but it's not the type of song I put on just to listen to. It's great in the context of FS, but I don't know how I'd feel about it outside of that. -Adam At 09:58 PM 8/25/99 -0400, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: >i recall when FS came out, as everyone discussed each song, there were >...less than 5 of us who liked pet name. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:13:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Message-ID: <19990825.221315.8718.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" >Dude! Like, I HAVE John Henry! AND a microwave! ...I'll be right back!! I >can't wait to hear it! And then you have to send me sixty dollars and - bang! - Spitting Contest! >Hey, has anyone actually written LYRICS to Spitting Contest? that would be >COOL! I believe the origin of Spitting Contest was that it is actually a Sifl & Olly song that someone (Dexter, perhaps?) said it sounded TMBGish. >I just meant that their lyric/rhythm schemes are so complex! Few of them have >consistent rhymes or rhythms and it's mindboggling to hear them on music >after you've only read the lyrics. Artwork! Oh, well, I've rarely had an oppourtunity to read lyrics to songs before hearing them (except a few months back when people would put lyrics to She Thinks She's Edith Head or something, and then I was usually too lazy to read them). ever-sincere, eriKa, it's a great name, isn't it? "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, Aug 26 1999 0:21:08 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <04210857815842@thinner.com> >>Dude! Like, I HAVE John Henry! AND a microwave! ...I'll be right back!! >I >>can't wait to hear it! > >And then you have to send me sixty dollars and - bang! - Spitting >Contest! > >>Hey, has anyone actually written LYRICS to Spitting Contest? that would >be >>COOL! > >I believe the origin of Spitting Contest was that it is actually a Sifl & >Olly song that someone (Dexter, perhaps?) said it sounded TMBGish. Yes indeed. I found a Sifl and Olly song entitled Spit Contest that I thought sounded like something TMBG might perform. I then brought it up to the list, and Sarah (LimeZinger) said that it's actually a bonus track on John Henry (at least, I think it was her). Well, it wasn't, but random list members teased me for awhile cause I actually believed that it was. Since then, the teasing has stopped, but it still comes back to haunt me every once in awhile. I do feel rather special knowing that I started something that will probably live on the list for quite awhile (it's almost up to the ranks of Careless Santa and Matt's Life Savings!). If anyone's interested, you can hear Spit Contest in RealAudio here: http://www.sifl-n-olly.com/rock/ram_files/spit. ram Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-26 ******************************