Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 27 Friday, 27 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-26 Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Comparing John and John as songwriters TMBG: Lava Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Comparing John and John as songwriters TMBG: Radio 104 in CT TMBG: Re: Lava Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! NonTMBG: Farewell Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Southeast TMBG shows Re: TMBG: Southeast TMBG shows TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Dream! TMBG: Re: Harmonius Johns Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed RE: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed TMBG: Brave New World videos TMBG: Linnell interview @ Consumable Online Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990826071412.12817.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Murry" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #20-26 Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:14:03 GMT I've been a fan since 1990, and a listee since 1995, and I don't respond to the list much anymore, but occasionally, something catches my eye which cannot be left uncommented upon... Message-Id: <199908261247.IAA09175@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:47:36 -0400 (EDT) > > Songs like "Puppet Head" are great, I mean, I love that one, but > > some > > > of Flansy's others (Hotel Detective, Dirtbike, and Pet Name, to name a > few) > > > > > are really, at least from my point of view, a bit uninteresting. > > I must really be in the minority here, because Pet Name is easily one of my > favorite TMBG songs. > Hear hear! I don't understand why *so* many people like to slag off this song. It's definitely one of my favorite on Factory Showroom. It sounds like a pure pop song from the early 80s. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it is beautiful. Here's hoping 4 of 2 appears on Matt's Life Savings. -Matt p.s. why are these on going in-jokes either ones I started or ones about me? hmm very strange. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199908261252.IAA09708@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:52:28 -0400 (EDT) > > yes, and the other singles, too - I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High, > Snail Shell... the only Flansburgh singles are S-E-X-X-Y, Hotel Detective, and > The Guitar. > I thought I heard Flans wrote The Statue Got Me High even though he doesn't sing lead vocals on it? -Matt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:47:10 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <37C5455E.93E0C1A4@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Matt James wrote: > p.s. why are these on going in-jokes either ones I started or ones about me? > hmm very strange. The world revolves around you, Matt. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C547FC.C1EAB9FF@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:58:20 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Matt James wrote: > I thought I heard Flans wrote The Statue Got Me High even though he doesn't > sing lead vocals on it? (answer number 1:) are you kidding? that song is way too good to have been written by Flansburgh! (answer number 2:) no, Linnell has said lots of times that he wrote it. ("This song is about the life of Don Giovanni, but I didn't know that when I wrote it.") -- Lawrence Solomon * http://www.fruhead.com/users/zaph * zaph@fruhead.com "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199908261359.JAA18374@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:59:01 -0400 (EDT) > > Matt James wrote: > > > p.s. why are these on going in-jokes either ones I started or ones about me? > > hmm very strange. > > The world revolves around you, Matt. > stop this crazy world, then, I wanna jump off! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C558A7.8C3F81B2@st.com> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:09:27 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: STMicroelectronics, Inc Subject: TMBG: Comparing John and John as songwriters Comparing John and John as songwriters: Didn't Flans write "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head", which was their first hit single? And "Pet Name" is an unusual song. Not very impressive at first, but it really grows on you. On one listening, it suddenly struck me that it was really a tender love song. Kind of like falling in love unexpectedly over time. And in my opinion, the songs that still sound good after a long time are the greatest. In my opinion Linnell's songs are the most complex, lyrically. He takes these amazingly long phrases and puts them into fantastic musical phrases. Over and over again. "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence" is a good example. And I'm sure that they both enjoy collaborating on the arrangements together. Amazing that they still share songwriting credits after all these years. I think that they have beaten the record of the Lennon-McCartney team. Russ Josephson P.S. My video of the July Denver Lodo TMBG concert is still available. Just send me $7 and you too can get it. If you live outside of USA/Canada, send me $10. It turned out pretty good. Check out the snapshots on my web page at: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbgl.htm Oh, and if you want it in PAL format instead of NTSC, I'll add the 1998 Hatch Shell concert to it. -- WORK: HOME: STMicroelectronics Russ Josephson 1625 S. Fordham, Ste 400 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 381-3584 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 381-3660 mailto:Russell.JOSEPHSON@st.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.st.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:18:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: Lava the lava videon for older is downloadable now. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990826172720.66282.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: e-mailing..... Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:27:20 PDT sarah limezinger wrote: >uhh... what does this tour have that's different from the other >tours >they've done in the past 2 years? A giant inflatable rutabaga, perhaps? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990826172840.69519.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:28:40 PDT eriKa wrote: > >Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel > >Detective", > > I like Hotel Detective. And Pet Name. *And* Dirt >Bike. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because of that. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990826173124.4283.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:31:21 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >My feelings about Pet Name are kind of odd. It's a track I really enjoy >listening to when I play FS, but it's not the type of song I put on just to >listen to. It's great in the context of FS, but I don't know how I'd feel >about it outside of that. There are songs on which I have similar opinions. "Window" is one; I like it on _John Henry_, but I don't think it would be that great outside of the album's context. This also relates to my opinion on "Hotel Detective." I don't think that that song fits onto the pink album very well. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990826173402.68244.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Comparing John and John as songwriters Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:34:02 PDT Russ Josephson wrote: >Didn't Flans write "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head", which was >their first hit single? "Puppet Head" was never a single, as far as I know. I believe Their first single was "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" (sung by Linnell, but I'm not sure which John wrote it), but I don't think that was ever really a hit. I suppose you could say Their first hit single (relatively speaking, of course) was "Don't Let's Start," a Linnell song. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <1fe4a51.24f6ddaf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:13:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Radio 104 in CT << Also- I heard a TMBG song onthe radio for the first time ever yesterday! Racdio 104 in CT played Bidhouse. This is the same station that laughed at me and said "We don't play They Might Be Giants" when I called in to request Dr. Worm last year. Go figure. :) Rachel>> Radio 104 is an AWFUL radio station. I used to listen to it all the time, then they moved from "alternative" to "Let's see what people are buying and then play that" format. I think I heard them play TMBG once... It was last winter, during a power outage. I had my battery powered little radio thing, and on comes a TWO-SONG "block" of They Might Be Giants. Of course, they played the usual TMBG Radio songs- "Birdhouse" and "Particle Man," but I thought... "hey! It's a start!" Later on that month, I heard them play "Don't Lets Start," too, but when I tried to call in to request Dr. Worm, they told me they don't play Them, too. Of course, I didn't really expect it- this is the radio station that changed their call sign to WDMB and played ALL Dave Matthews for an ENTIRE WEEKEND! Ick. I think almost all central Connecticut radio stations are really poor, with the exception of a bunch of local college stations -CAsey, who is happy to be moving to Boston, a City that Appreciates TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:21:07 -0500 From: John David Crafton Message-ID: <37C593A3.A3B4EAFE@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Lava MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > the lava videon for older is downloadable now. you must have a sound blaster to view it. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <86e60b61.24f6efaf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:29:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > (answer number 1:) > are you kidding? that song is way too good to have been written by > Flansburgh! Right about now I could say something about how you shouldn't make generalizations and how you just can't trash good work like that, and how your views of music are twisted and warped, but 1) I realize it's an opinion, 2) I share that opinion, 3) you're not the one I'd be trying to mock, and 4)you got away with saying what no one let me get away with saying, so I'll just let you speak then. Lydia Shunned, barred, repelled and never abducted since 1837 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990826203742.27112.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Keem Bearlee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:37:41 PDT I like all those songs. A LOT. I like mostly all of their songs a lot. I didn't like Hotel Detective so much at first. When I got Misc T I would skip it. But after watching DFB multiple times the first day I got it.... well it grew on me. It so much fun! You're not crazy. -Kimberly ----Original Message Follows---- From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Reply-To: "Cap'n eriKa rae" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:37:05 -0400 >Example: I've never met a person who liked "Hotel >Detective", I like Hotel Detective. And Pet Name. *And* Dirt Bike. Am I crazy? >and EVERYONE, when I play it for them, likes "Spiralling Shape". Well, it's catchy. But if I were to play Spiralling Shape to any of my friends, they would hate it. But my friends suck. ever-sincere, eriKa, "turn off this They Must Be Giants! let's play some crap!" "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds "Actually, I just like to say smock. Smock smock smock smock smock smock!" - Hobbes hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <6b70ef1d.24f70a17@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:22:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > I like all those songs. A LOT. I like mostly all of their songs a lot. I > didn't like Hotel Detective so much at first. When I got Misc T I would > skip it. But after watching DFB multiple times the first day I got it.... > well it grew on me. It so much fun! > You're right, I'll admit to that! The Hotel Detective VIDEO was a ton of fun. The song just seems a little... Well, just a touch pointless. Not like some of their songs have points or anything, but those are pointless in an especially singable, bouncy and fun way :) And I do listen to it when I'm listening to the pink album. But when I'm looking for one of their ultra-fun, surefire good-mood making songs to rock along to, I usually (I'll admit it, I fell for the more widespred, popular ones first) skip around it and look for something like Don't Let's Start, or Puppet Head, Rhythm Section Want Ad, etc.... Lydia Going against the public grain since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:11:35 -0500 From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Message-ID: Organization: The University of Iowa Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Ohlert wrote: > from www.rounder.com Rounder Records continues to offer fine public services such as releasing John Linnell albums, and deserves a Congressional Medal of Honor. > State songs is set to be released on 10/26/99 Days before Hallowe'en! The two best days of the year right in a damn row! I just pulled a tendon and busted a vein at the same time! > Zoe 1005 Linnell now passes Juliana Hatfield as the best thing ever issued by Rounder's Zoe! > CD $14.98 And it's a bargain! > Here is the first solo album from John Linnell "First" means there will be more! More more! More Linnell! Solo Flansburgh turned out to be like Oreo DoubleStuf, which just has more of that whippity-creme, but Linnell is like Oreo BigStuf, which was just a honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo! Fifty states! > the principal songwriter for They Might Be Giants ? He wrote "Particle Man." > State Songs is a thematic collection, with each song about a different > state (we're not telling which ones) Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming! > playful yet intellectually stimulating touch Did that line really really turn anybody else on? > Voted the 9th Most Beautiful Person in People magazine's online poll Voted number one most best Linnell in my personal off-line poll! He is a great Linnell and a good guy! What a singer! He is my rock and roll sweetheart! I'm excited into incoherence and stupidity! -Rev. Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990826182413.009658f0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:25:35 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Yikes! It looks like someone else had to learn that "Nifty Fifty United States" song in elementary school. ;-) I've honed that into quite a skill. I think my record in rattling off all 50 states in alphabetical order was 16 seconds. -Adam "No, I don't know all the capitals!" Tyner At 05:11 PM 8/26/99 -0500, Christopher M. Stangl wrote: > Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, >Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, >Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, >Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New >Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, >Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South >Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West >Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <9d338677.24f71afe@aol.com> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:34:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > > Days before Hallowe'en! The two best days of the year right in a > damn row! I just pulled a tendon and busted a vein at the same time! Wow! That's amazing! My reaction was to have both a coronary and an aneurism, but I didn't know it could affect TENDONS! > > "First" means there will be more! More more! More Linnell! Solo > Flansburgh turned out to be like Oreo DoubleStuf, which just has more of > that whippity-creme, but Linnell is like Oreo BigStuf, which was just a > honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo! Fifty states! ::drools:: Mmmmm, OREOS! Linnell=cookie! Cookie=sweet! Sweet= heaven! Heaven=god! LINNELL=GOD! > > > playful yet intellectually stimulating touch > > Did that line really really turn anybody else on? I actually noticed that line as well >;D > > Voted number one most best Linnell in my personal off-line poll! > He is a great Linnell and a good guy! What a singer! He is my rock and > roll sweetheart! I'm excited into incoherence and stupidity! Amen to that! He's first in my Best Linnell list as well! ALL THREE OF THEM! Hell, Flansy didn't even RANK in my Best Linnell List! (I have yet, however, to conduct a Best Flansy List! Who knows WHAT the results will be on THAT!)::drools and babbles:: ~Lydia Swooning over John Linnell since 1837! ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:55:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > Yikes! It looks like someone else had to learn that "Nifty Fifty United > States" song in elementary school. ;-) I've honed that into quite a > skill. I think my record in rattling off all 50 states in alphabetical > order was 16 seconds. > there's a SONG?! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990826185909.0095fd20@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:01:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! At 06:55 PM 8/26/99 -0400, HeYAnArChY@aol.com wrote: >there's a SONG?! Yup. There's a little intro ("Nifty fifty united states from 13 original colonies...") and then most of the song is just rattling off the 50 states to music. Very odd. "Presidential Boogie" was harder to learn than "Nifty Fifty United States"...the music sheet we were using was so old that we had to add "Reagan" to it (and "Carter", I think; it's been a while). That should pretty well date it. :-) -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:15:28 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: NonTMBG: Farewell Message-id: <37C5CA8F.E09D7F23@wmich.edu> So, school starts on Monday, all my friends are back in town and I SUDDENLY HAVE A LIFE! That means NO time.... No time for anything.... So, I must bid you all farewell, as I have NO TIME for this list anymore... or the OffTopic list either.... Have a good life... and maybe I'll be back some day :P ~Sarah -- Currently in need of a new Theme Song..... http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00ac01bef017$af574a00$1f2d0904@aah1084-access> From: "Amy :)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:06:40 -0400 >>there's a SONG?! > >Yup. There's a little intro ("Nifty fifty united states from 13 original >colonies...") and then most of the song is just rattling off the 50 states >to music. Very odd. I learned a different one, called "The Fifty States in Rhyme" It was the fifty states in alphabetical order but they were arranged so that they rhymed (hence the title) It's very easy to get stuck in your head, too! That's what I get for wanting to be in the 6th grade musical. Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:38:19 -0600 From: Chadd VanZanten Message-ID: <37C5CFEB.978EA20E@caceng.com> Organization: C.A. Cartwright Engineers Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! >Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal >songwriter for They Might Be Giants. Whoa, whoa, whoa. When was this title conferred? I mean... I guess I don't disagree with it. Not whole-heartedly, anyway. But then they'd have to be called the fraternal twin quasars of rock, wouldn't they? And what does Flans think of this? When was the vote? When is the corronation? Okay then, Chadd ------------------------------ From: jbparke@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:37:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Southeast TMBG shows Message-ID: <19990826.213741.-943643.0.jbparke@juno.com> Hey howdy all you crazy southern TMBG fans! So here's the big question of the night: Anybody goin to the big TMBG concerts round these parts? Specifically the North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia shows... i know for certain that i'm goin to the Atlanta show at the Roxy. Everybody who was at the Variety Playhouse show has gotta go so we can meet up again. Anywayz, you guys e-mail me or post it to the list and maybe we can set somethin up! Who knows what crazy cooky things might happen at a TMBG concert? Only one way to find out... join me and my friends and we'll show J&J that we built the south on ROCK AND ROLL!!! That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "Who's that Spartan who needs to stop smokin crack? It's me... it's me..." np: Into the Eighties - CD1 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990826214738.009574f0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:49:00 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Southeast TMBG shows I'm going to miss the Atlanta show, unfortunately, but I am definitely going to the Charleston show. (I'm from Charleston, btw, although I spend most of the time in Clemson.) The great thing about the Music Farm is that there's a huge, open space between where bands park their buses and the venue, so it's incredibly easy to get autographs and photos if you're patient. :-) -Adam At 09:37 PM 8/26/99 -0400, jbparke@juno.com wrote: >Hey howdy all you crazy southern TMBG fans! So here's the big question >of the night: > >Anybody goin to the big TMBG concerts round these parts? Specifically >the North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia shows... i know for >certain >that i'm goin to the Atlanta show at the Roxy. Everybody who was at the >Variety Playhouse show has gotta go so we can meet up again. Anywayz, >you guys e-mail me or post it to the list and maybe we can set somethin >up! >Who knows what crazy cooky things might happen at a TMBG concert? Only >one way to find out... join me and my friends and we'll show J&J that we >built >the south on ROCK AND ROLL!!! > >That's it... > >v^v Jeffro v^v > >"Who's that Spartan who needs to stop smokin crack? It's me... it's >me..." > >np: Into the Eighties - CD1 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:47:34 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C5FC46.B2F14881@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: King Weed WOOHOO JOHN AND JOHN! Flans looked soooooo gooooood, with the exception of the wedding ring...sorry, i'm terribly jealous of Robin. My boyfriend say's Linnell has cool hair. I liked that "video." Is it just me, or did the two of them sound very different that usual? -A ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:51:41 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C5FD3D.87143CCA@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: Re: TMBG: Dream! Linnell has a kid?!?!?! i guess you really do learn something new everyday. -A Sarah wrote: > > Hello people pretending to be people. > I've just finished reading through three days of acquired posts from > this list.... oy, that took a while... And I'm glad to see I didn't miss > much. > Anyway... on to the point of this message.... > > Tuesday Night I had my first ever TMBG dream! I was so proud... and I > meant to post it earlier but didn't have the time. > MY dream started off with a recurring theme which no one is interested > in so I'll skip to the TMBG content. > I was at this video store with a couple friends.... Ricky Martin was > playing over the loud speakers and I was complaining about how much I > don't like Ricky Martin and all those other current pop people...... > There were signs up in the store about local concerts, and one was for > TMBG! I was thrilled.... then the scene changed and I was at my house. > There was some kind of party going on and TMBG was there providing the > entertainment. I knew they were there... but didn't see or hear them. I > talked to some people about TMBG for a while I had suggested that they > stay at my house for the night rather than try to find a hotel on such > short notice (apparently they didn't plan ahead...) ..... then the scene > changed... It was night and John and John were staying at my house for > the night. I still hadn't seen either one of them though so I kept > leaving my room and going to the bathroom, hoping to run into one of > them (especially Linnell...) > And what do you know.... I ran into Linnell in the Hallway! Then the > scene changed and we were in the basement. He was sitting at a > computer... working on a web page or something, and he was having > difficulties, so I offered to help. He said he'd seen my page and was > impressed (ah, crazy dreams...) Then we just started talking.... about > EVERYTHING (except music...) then I woke up. I still can't shake the > image of him standing right in front of me, back dropped by an open > window. I kept thinking haw friggin' cute he was.... and what a shame it > was that he's 40, and married with a kid..... > *sigh* > Dreams are silly.... and so am I. > > ~Sarah > > -- > Currently in need of a new Theme Song..... > http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath > ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:59:01 -0400 From: Adrienne Spruill Message-ID: <37C5FEF5.6BE53A12@epix.net> Organization: Student Subject: TMBG: Re: Harmonius Johns Linnell...two "L"s -A -=eRiCh=- wrote: > > When a song is sung by Linnel, its written by Linnel. When a song is sung by > Flansy, it's written by flansy. correct? Because most of the time in a > linnel or flans song they will do there own harmonies, do you all suppose > that when they do harmonies together that they wrote the song together? Just > thinking aloud..... > > -=eRiCh=- > > "And then you go and waste my cyclops time" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990826225723.0095e4a0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:59:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Don't get me wrong...I love TMBG dearly, or else I wouldn't have spent over 3 years on this list...but these Brave New World appearances are *horrible*. I missed the Older video on the first one, but Dan Vs. Cog and King Weed are musically probably the worst things TMBG has *ever, ever* done. -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:13:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Message-ID: I think you are taking these the wrong way... I don't think TMBG is making an effort to make these pieces terribly brilliant musical pieces. They wrote them in a short period of time and had to design them for the specific shows. I think the key aspect they were looking for was that they pertained to the subject matter. In Dan vs. Cog, the music was just a rehash of their live show rap, however, the video was quite good. I think the look and feel of the piece really helped highlight the subject matter of artificial intelligence and robotics etc. I have only watched it once, but I also am guessing there are some subtleties to the video that are even more cleverly applied to the subject matter... In tonight's King Weed piece the song was... weird... I actually liked it, I love whenever TMBG has the guts and ingenuity to do something totally off the wall and weird still. It seems they do less and less of it as the years go on so I am really happy to see it still happen. Again, tonight's piece was more about the video and lyrics and feel than being a great song. There were a ton of images in the video and a lot of interesting things that I still want to think more about. I think that Flans spent a lot of time making video pieces which are interwoven with the show in a very smooth manner and that is what these should be appreciated for, not the musical content... Althooooooough, I think the song was cool musically too ;) -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Adam Tyner wrote: > Don't get me wrong...I love TMBG dearly, or else I wouldn't have spent over > 3 years on this list...but these Brave New World appearances are > *horrible*. I missed the Older video on the first one, but Dan Vs. Cog and > King Weed are musically probably the worst things TMBG has *ever, ever* done. > > -Adam > ------------------------------ From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: RE: TMBG: King Weed Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:18:16 -0500 Message-ID: I actually rather liked it too. Older was cool, but I'd heard it before. Dan vs. cog was awesome, and so was tonight's. To me the johns' personalities kinda show through. -Charlie Miller -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Josh Axelrad Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 10:14 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed I think you are taking these the wrong way... I don't think TMBG is making an effort to make these pieces terribly brilliant musical pieces. They wrote them in a short period of time and had to design them for the specific shows. I think the key aspect they were looking for was that they pertained to the subject matter. In Dan vs. Cog, the music was just a rehash of their live show rap, however, the video was quite good. I think the look and feel of the piece really helped highlight the subject matter of artificial intelligence and robotics etc. I have only watched it once, but I also am guessing there are some subtleties to the video that are even more cleverly applied to the subject matter... In tonight's King Weed piece the song was... weird... I actually liked it, I love whenever TMBG has the guts and ingenuity to do something totally off the wall and weird still. It seems they do less and less of it as the years go on so I am really happy to see it still happen. Again, tonight's piece was more about the video and lyrics and feel than being a great song. There were a ton of images in the video and a lot of interesting things that I still want to think more about. I think that Flans spent a lot of time making video pieces which are interwoven with the show in a very smooth manner and that is what these should be appreciated for, not the musical content... Althooooooough, I think the song was cool musically too ;) -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Adam Tyner wrote: > Don't get me wrong...I love TMBG dearly, or else I wouldn't have spent over > 3 years on this list...but these Brave New World appearances are > *horrible*. I missed the Older video on the first one, but Dan Vs. Cog and > King Weed are musically probably the worst things TMBG has *ever, ever* done. > > -Adam > ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:49:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed > I actually rather liked it too. Older was cool, but I'd heard it before. > Dan vs. cog was awesome, and so was tonight's. To me the johns' > personalities kinda show through. > -Charlie Miller I didn't even think They were going to be on tonight. I guess it's a good thing I decided to tape every episode anyway. Unfortunately there was a stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, because we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain tonight. At least the warnings weren't during the TMBG segment. I rather liked the King Weed thing, actually I thought it was hilarious; the rest of the show was really good too. Beth ------------------------------ From: jbparke@juno.com Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:57:59 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Brave New World videos Message-ID: <19990826.235800.-943643.2.jbparke@juno.com> I was just exploring the Brave New World website at abc.com and discovered that TMBG's appearances are on there in real video! King Weed, Man vs. Machine, and Older are all on there PLUS a video called Life on the Moon which i am assuming will be on next week's show! It's a very cool story about a germ that gets transported to the moon. You gotta go check it out! When you get to the actual BNW site click on the drop down menu labeled 'More Interactives' and choose Music/Dance Videos. You'll then be on the page where you can choose which video you want to watch from another pull down menu. BTW, were the Johns on BNW last week? I missed it but i didn't see anyone mention anything about it so i assumed They weren't on the show. But on the website it says that they helped explain something about cloning sheep. Anyone out there watch last week? That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v - who just got finished eating a delicious Cahow dinner np: absolute silence ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990827001009.009523b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:11:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Linnell interview @ Consumable Online Here 'tis: http://www.westnet.com/consumable/1999/08.23/inttmbg.html They couldn't even get the lyrics for Older right. Oh well. Apparently Consumable Online's research dept. is understaffed. ;-) -Adam ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <9cc58491.24f774ae@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:57:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed What time and channel is BNW on? I hear a lot about it but never got when or where. ------------------------------ From: Azelma1115@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:00:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed > What time and channel is BNW on? I hear a lot about it but never got when or > where. Thursdays at 10:00 EST on ABC. Beth ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-27 ******************************