Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 28 Saturday, 28 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's Re:_TMBG:_moxy_fruvous_cd's Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's TMBG: Re: King Weed Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: King Weed TMBG: My favorites Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: State Song intro? Re: TMBG: King Weed Re: TMBG: Re: Oregon show Re: TMBG: King Weed TMBG: Need a copy of the King Weed episode of Brave New World & Misc.Stuff TMBG: Pet Name Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! TMBG: LTW Sales Re: TMBG: Pet Name Re: TMBG: King Weed Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990827104241.25218.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:42:40 PDT i know this is off-topic, but no one's talking anyway, so it can't hurt. i own two moxy fruvous cd's (bargainville and live noise). i want to buy another one. which cd would everyone recommend to me? Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "it takes a lot to make me crazy and a lot is always going on" - built to spill e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: http://fly.to/drpyser ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990827082807.00962a90@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:31:18 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re:_TMBG:_moxy_fruvous_cd's If you enjoyed a lot of the tracks on Live Noise, you might want to pick up You Will Go To The Moon, which is fairly well-represented on LN... Wood is my personal favorite, although it's rather different than their other work. The b Album is fun, and a few of the tracks on it are among my favorite fru-tunes, but it doesn't have that incessant repeat value that their other releases do. Don't get me started on Thornhill though. :-) I'm not too fond of it, although I really like Splatter Splatter. Non-TMBG CD recommendation o' the month: "Heads Are Gonna Roll" by the Hippos -Adam At 03:42 AM 8/27/99 -0700, Crystal Cooper wrote: >i know this is off-topic, but no one's talking anyway, so it can't hurt. >i own two moxy fruvous cd's (bargainville and live noise). i want to buy >another one. which cd would everyone recommend to me? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827144900.88152.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:49:00 PDT Lydia wrote: > > (answer number 1:) > > are you kidding? that song is way too good to have been written by > > Flansburgh! > >Right about now I could say something about how you shouldn't make >generalizations and how you just can't trash good work like that, and how >your views of music are twisted and warped, but 1) I realize it's an >opinion, >2) I share that opinion, 3) you're not the one I'd be trying to mock, and >4)you got away with saying what no one let me get away with saying, so I'll >just let you speak then. And that's not even mentioning the fact that it was probably intended as a joke. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827145610.67887.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:56:10 PDT Lydia wrote: > > I like all those songs. A LOT. I like mostly all of their songs a lot. > I > > didn't like Hotel Detective so much at first. When I got Misc T I >would > > skip it. But after watching DFB multiple times the first day I got >it.... > > > well it grew on me. It so much fun! > > > >You're right, I'll admit to that! The Hotel Detective VIDEO was a ton >of >fun. I agree on this point. I also like the fact that it uses the single mix, which is better than the mix used on the pink album. I like the emphasis on the saxophone that the single version gives. >The song just seems a little... Well, just a touch pointless. Not like some >of their songs have points or anything, but those are pointless in an >especially singable, bouncy and fun way :) Like I mentioned before, I don't think it really fits in with the other songs on the pink album, or with TMBG songs in general, for that matter. I guess I just don't really like the songs with generic rock arrangements ("Hotel Detective," "Santa's Beard," "XTC Vs. Adam Ant"). > And I do listen to it when I'm listening to the pink album. I generally don't skip songs when I'm listening to an album, unless I'm really not in the mood to hear a particular thing. If there's something at the end of the album that I don't care for, I'll also sometimes stop the album early. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827150740.21633.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:07:39 PDT Christopher M. Stangl wrote: >On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Ohlert wrote: > > CD $14.98 > > And it's a bargain! Well, that depends on where you buy it. While most stores charge pretty close to the list price, some (The Wall, for instance) typically charge more, and some charge less. There really aren't any good bargain CD stores in my area (and there's no guarantee that any of these places will stock the album anyway), so I'll probably end up having to pay that much or more. There's always ordering, I suppose, but that's slow, and you have to pay shipping and handling. Of course, if the album isn't released in most stores, I really won't have any choice but to order it (or not buy it at all, but is that really an option for a John Linnell album?). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827151528.32546.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:15:28 PDT Adrienne Spruill wrote: >WOOHOO JOHN AND JOHN! Flans looked soooooo gooooood, with the exception >of the wedding ring...sorry, i'm terribly jealous of Robin. My boyfriend >say's Linnell has cool hair. I liked that "video." Is it just me, or did >the two of them sound very different that usual? I didn't see it. I had to work until 10, which still might have left me enough time to watch the Johns' appearance, if it hadn't been for that storm. Stupid lousy weather. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827152341.93445.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:23:41 PDT Crystal Cooper wrote: >i know this is off-topic, but no one's talking anyway, so it can't hurt. OW! Lousy off-topic posting! It's causing severe pain! >i own two moxy fruvous cd's (bargainville and live noise). i want to buy >another one. which cd would everyone recommend to me? I'd recommend _Wood_. It sounds a bit different from those others, but I like it, and you might, too. The B Album is fun, but short (not surprisingly, since it's just a collection of B-side material). I don't care quite as much for _You Will Go To The Moon_ or _Thornhill_ (the first one has some really good stuff, but it's not quite as attention-catching as most of their material, and the the latter is probably their weakest yet). -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: JJRRutgers@aol.com Message-ID: <6f787b97.24f80773@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:23:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: King Weed King Weed reminded me a lot of Guys & Dolls (Strange). There is a song in the musical called "Oldest Established", a song about Nathan Detroit. Anyway, the intro to that song was eerily similar to the beginning of King Weed, especially how Flans put a New Yorker accent when singing about Prof. Jablonski (Try singing that, hard word to pronounce, let alone sing!). Listen to both songs, and see if you can pick up the similarity. A couple of other notes... Do you think the Giants would perform this live? Will it become a staple (I doubt that) or will they perform it just once, like their B-sides. In any case, if you want to be funny, yell "KING WEED!" right before they play "Maybe I Know". Did anyone enjoy the shot of Linnell holding a couple of worms in his hand? I think that would make a wonderful poster, Linnell singing to Dr. Worm, literally. Also, the sparrow image has made yet another comeback "On Earth My Nina". very strange, sparrow, worms, no ants. Alright, that's enough banter. See you next week for the next segment. ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:33:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! In a message dated 8/27/99 10:58:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >Right about now I could say something about how you shouldn't make > >generalizations and how you just can't trash good work like that, and how > >your views of music are twisted and warped, but 1) I realize it's an > >opinion, > >2) I share that opinion, 3) you're not the one I'd be trying to mock, and > >4)you got away with saying what no one let me get away with saying, so I'll > >just let you speak then. > > And that's not even mentioning the fact that it was probably intended as a > joke. Hey, you're right, it isn't. Now how about that. Oh and did I forget to put the cute little face at the end so everyone took it just a bit less seriously than it was really intended? No? Here! :P Apply as needed, except to mucus membranes which will cause irritation! Do not take internally! This product not for resale, accept no substitutes! Lydia Loving TMBG in spite of the oppressive majority since 1837! ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Date: Fri, Aug 27 1999 12:01:30 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <16013115630299@thinner.com> Argh! I fell asleep early and accidentally last night, so I missed BNW and was unable to set y VCR to record it. Does anyone know if it will be rerun? Or would anyone be so kind as to send me a copy? E-mail me and we can work out a deal. Thanks! > >From: Adrienne Spruill >Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:47:34 -0400 >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: King Weed > >WOOHOO JOHN AND JOHN! Flans looked soooooo gooooood, with the exception >of the wedding ring...sorry, i'm terribly jealous of Robin. My boyfriend >say's Linnell has cool hair. I liked that "video." Is it just me, or did >the two of them sound very different that usual? >-A > * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ From: Dexter Flansburgh Subject: TMBG: My favorites Date: Fri, Aug 27 1999 12:30:32 GMT-0400 Message-Id: <16303245330606@thinner.com> Well, since people are talking about what TMBG songs they like and don't like alot lately, I decided to share my opinion as well: I recently made a tape of all my favorite TMBG songs, not that I expect you guys to care, but here's the track list, incase some of you are board and wish to comment on it- Lie still, Little bottle Piece of Dirt I've got a Match Kiss me, Son of God I'll Sink Manhattan The World's Address (Josua Fried Remix) I'm Getting Sentimental Over You Dead Twisting Hearing Aid Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love Road Movie to Berlin Dinner Bell Narrow Your Eyes Hall of Heads See the Constellation Hypnotist of Ladies Cabbagetown _SIDE 2_ I Blame You Moving to the Sun Jessica Ondine (She Was A) Hotel Detective (from Back to Skull) Snail Shell Sleeping in the Flowers (my all-time fav TMBG song!) Extra Savoir-Faire A Self Called Nowhere Unforgotten How Can I Sing Like A Girl? New York City Pet Name First Kiss Cyclops Rock Maybe I Know (Irving Plaza version) So there it is! My all time favorite TMBG song list. I would've also included the STD version of They Got Lost, but there wasn't enough room. I know there's probably alot of disagreements with my list as to what they're best stuff is, but this is just my opinion. I also noticed that the majority of my favorites is Flansburgh material, when most people are partial to Linnell's stuff. Ah well, Flansy's always been my favorite John. Love? What do you know of love?! Dexter M. Flansburgh * ------------------------------------------------------- Free vanity e-mail at http://www.mailworks.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C6C1E7.1BBC924A@fruhead.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:50:47 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous cd's Crystal Cooper wrote: > > i know this is off-topic, but no one's talking anyway, so it can't hurt. > i own two moxy fruvous cd's (bargainville and live noise). i want to buy > another one. which cd would everyone recommend to me? Depends on what songs you live best. I've seen Moxy Fruvous a couple times before, so I know a good deal about them. From knowing others and knowing me, I'd say here's some guidelines: Is your favorite song King Of Spain and you love the silly improv songs on Live Noise? Buy You Will Go To The Moon. You'll love Kick in the Ass and probably like the title track. Michigan Militia and Sahara are good bridges to what Thornhill and Wood are going to offer. You may also want to get "b" and you'll probably love it, but it's only 20-something minutes long. Is your favorite song Fell in Love? Get Thornhill or Wood. If you also like the Beatles, Thornhill is definitely the way to go. Wood is a little darker. If you like songs about relationships, Wood is a great choice. Is your favorite song Fly? Get Wood and see how Fly fits in with all the other songs. You'll probably love Misplaced as well, maybe even more. More or less: - If you like acapella, "b" or Moon. Thornhill and Wood have no acapella - If you like upbeat and wacky, "b" is best - If you like rockin' songs, Thornhill or Moon - If you like classic rock, Thornhill s great Hope that helps a bit. My favorite album is Thornhill, followed by Wood, then Moon, then Bargainville, then "b". - Chad ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:40:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed << Unfortunately there was a stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, because we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain tonight >> At Least your power didn't go out 20 minutes before the show came on. I was very angry, and still am....what were the video and song like? ------------------------------ From: DKocar@aol.com Message-ID: <8a01ce5b.24f8297e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:48:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed In a message dated 08/26/1999 11:00:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: > Don't get me wrong...I love TMBG dearly, or else I wouldn't have spent over > 3 years on this list...but these Brave New World appearances are > *horrible*. I missed the Older video on the first one, but Dan Vs. Cog and > King Weed are musically probably the worst things TMBG has *ever, ever* done. I like the TMBG appearances on BNW, though I have to wonder if they seem a bit odd to people who are not fans of TMBG or haven't ever heard of them. It seems sort of like something just tacked on that doesn't have much to do with the show. It is a fun little interlude I guess. I just like seeing John and John on TV and hearing new stuff by them. The show is also very interesting, though it almost seems like the TMBG songs apart from it. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990827180823.46280.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:08:22 CDT ><< Unfortunately there was a > stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, >because > we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain tonight > >> > >At Least your power didn't go out 20 minutes before the show came on. I >was >very angry, and still am....what were the video and song like? Ha! At least you people have televisions. Kristina "Case closed!" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199908271817.OAA38808@f04n01.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:18:54 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! At 06:25 PM 8/26/1999 -0400, Adam Tyner wrote: >Yikes! It looks like someone else had to learn that "Nifty Fifty United >States" song in elementary school. ;-) I've honed that into quite a >skill. I think my record in rattling off all 50 states in alphabetical >order was 16 seconds. If I recall correctly, didn't Ray Charles compose that song? I learned it in...4th grade I think and still haven't forgotten the words, including the list of states. (I'm a sophmore in college now) --Jason-- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburgh "You could say, like, 'Americans are stupid', but that would be incredibly mean." -John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:19:34 -0000 From: "John" Message-ID: Organization: Goodbye The Band Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > Here is the first solo album from John Linnell "First" means there will be more! More more! More Linnell! Solo Flansburgh turned out to be like Oreo DoubleStuf, which just has more of that whippity-creme, but Linnell is like Oreo BigStuf, which was just a honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo! Fifty states! No -- First means that it's the first. Doi. Just because somebody releases a "first album" doesn't mean that they're going to release a second one. If, however, this article was written in the past (which, it isn't), then, it would mean that there was a second one. But that's just theoretical. -John ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:20:34 -0000 From: "John" Message-ID: Organization: Goodbye The Band Subject: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Flans has referred to himself as the "lower-half" of They Might Be Giants. I believe he did so in an interview for Tongue Magazine ... but, it might have been been before that. -- -John http://www.mp3.com/goodbye Chadd VanZanten wrote in message news:37C5CFEB.978EA20E@caceng.com... > >Here is the first solo album from John Linnell, the principal > >songwriter for They Might Be Giants. > > Whoa, whoa, whoa. When was this title conferred? I mean... I guess I > don't disagree with it. Not whole-heartedly, anyway. But then they'd > have to be called the fraternal twin quasars of rock, wouldn't they? And > what does Flans think of this? When was the vote? When is the > corronation? > > Okay then, > Chadd > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990827144245.0095f9b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:44:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Mail ordering really isn't slow. Most online stores ship CDs early so it'll be in your mailbox on or around the street date, and the discs are usually discounted so much (especially if you use a coupon for an online store, and there are LOTS of $10-off coupons floating around) that even with shipping and handling, it's still less than getting it in most stores. -Adam At 08:07 AM 8/27/99 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: There's always ordering, I suppose, but that's slow, and you have to pay shipping and handling. Of course, if the album isn't released in most stores, I really won't have any choice but to order it (or not buy it at all, but is that really an option for a John Linnell album?). ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:13:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed In a message dated 8/26/99 10:00:20 PM, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: >Don't get me wrong...I love TMBG dearly, or else I wouldn't have spent >over >3 years on this list...but these Brave New World appearances are >*horrible*. I missed the Older video on the first one, but Dan Vs. Cog >and >King Weed are musically probably the worst things TMBG has *ever, ever* >done. *gasp* .. why on earth do you say that? back it up with some reasons, at least. ? wow. i think they're very creative, and cute, and ..cool.. and... really neat! sarah(, who spent last night getting lost in toronto 3 times... but saw moxy fruvous again! ) ------------------------------ From: HeYAnArChY@aol.com Message-ID: <1f00614e.24f843ae@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:40:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! > More Linnell! Solo > Flansburgh turned out to be like Oreo DoubleStuf, which just has more of > that whippity-creme, but Linnell is like Oreo BigStuf, which was just a > honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo! Fifty states! > Woo hoo! GOOD analogy! I'd never have thought of that one but it works pretty well :) Note: Oreo DoubleStuf (herewith known as Solo Flansie) isn't BAD, not bad at all, mind you! But who can turn down a honkin'-ass Gigantor Oreo? Who???! Lydia Dreaming of cookies and John Linnell since 1837! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:45:32 -0500 From: Laura Message-ID: <37C6EADC.E3E64C6A@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! Adam Tyner wrote: > Yikes! It looks like someone else had to learn that "Nifty Fifty United > States" song in elementary school. ;-) I've honed that into quite a > skill. I think my record in rattling off all 50 states in alphabetical > order was 16 seconds. Hey, I was gonna reply and say the same thing! I used to run around my house singing that song all the time. Yeah. Laura "shout 'em, scout 'em, tell all about 'em, one by one til we've given a day to every state in the USA" ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199908272001.QAA09280@fellspt.charm.net> Subject: TMBG: State Song intro? Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:01:13 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, With all of the talk abut Linnell's State Songs album being released soon, does anyone know if the State Song Intro song will be put on there? I imagine it would, it's such a cool song. "The songs of the 50 states, the songs of the 50 states...I ain't gonna say it's great, I ain't gonna say it ain't...State Songs, State Songs...can't keep them out of my miiiiind. For people who live under the ground...etc etc" I can't remember all of the lyrics, just snippets here and there. Anyone have all the lyrics to that song? Thanks, Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37C6C39C.5784@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:58:06 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed I did not like King Weed at all. Well, I did like the video part, Flans' costume, Linnell at the piano, the peeking up through the weeds part, and them mentioning Koppel and Krulwich. But I did not like the song. I think it sounded like it was thrown together at the last minute. Oh well. Maybe They'll include all these songs from BNW on some kind of release anyways. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." Commissioner, TertiArse Fantasy Sports DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: GypsyOfSOL@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:01:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Oregon show They're gonna be in Oregon!? Cool, could somebody please tell me where to get more info? Nena ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.19990827170758.00959670@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:09:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed I just mean...the music seems bland and the lyrics nearly entirely lack the wit and originality I generally associate with Them. Visually, I love the segments, but sonically, the past 2 leave a lot to be desired. At least for me. :-) -Adam At 03:13 PM 8/27/99 -0400, LimeZinger@aol.com wrote: >*gasp* .. why on earth do you say that? back it up with some reasons, at >least. ? wow. i think they're very creative, and cute, and ..cool.. >and... really neat! ------------------------------ From: MuseKJ@aol.com Message-ID: <9d3c81cd.24f85fb6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:40:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: Need a copy of the King Weed episode of Brave New World & Misc.Stuff Hi everybody, I've been gone to Vermont for the past few days, but now I'm back...I got to see the episode mentioned above (The Johns in a garden -- farmer Karen almost fell out of her chair!), but when I got home, I found that my VCR hadn't taped the show for me...Cog may be the future, Mr. Linnell -- but I personally wanted to punt my videocassette "recorder" right into the ole backyard compost pile, scaring away all the goodly earthworms that have taken residence there, after it did this thing to me. Arrrrrrrgh! OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest...could some kind soul please send me a copy of this tape? I'll pay you for the tape and postage...e-mail me if you can help. My thoughts are the same as they've always been -- I love the Brave New World shows -- both John-filled, and Non-John-filled (gee, starting to sound like that Oreo scene). About that flood (or should I say Flood?) warning that Beth mentioned, we just happen to live in a flood-prone area...and so, the front of my house resembled TMBG's Flood album cover while my family (including my mom & dad) were staying in Vermont...the waters went up to the windows of my parents' new car. And they are very tense-type people to begin with. And boy was I glad that they could still start said car, so they could go home (a state away). We had a good time in Vermont, anyway. While we were there, I bought a ton of new and exciting flowers for my front garden, and took a tour of Hildene, the beautiful home of Abraham Lincoln's son Robert Todd Lincoln. They had some of President Lincoln's items there -- including one of 4 existing top hats that he was known for wearing, and the mirror that was in his dressing room on that infamous night of his assassination (the guide said it might have been the last place Abe saw himself...spooky to me, looking into it). I learned a lot about the Lincoln ancestors while there, too...all of Lincoln's remaining direct ancestors lived at the house, and then was left to the Christian Scientists, with the express wish that the estate be used as a museum to the Lincoln family. The Christian Scientists didn't think that was a practical thing to do with it, and the place was later sold to a neighborhood volunteer group, who to this day take care of the place and give tours. There's this really grand organ that is in the main stairwell of the home, that now is played by computer...I highly recommend a visit to the place, if you ever get a chance to head up that way. It's in Manchester, VT, and here is a website I found on it: www.hildene.org We also went to the Norman Rockwell Exhibit in Arlington, VT...I never knew that he was born in New York City, did you? I read the things that he had accomplished in NY and NJ during his lifetime (since that's the area I live in), then saw a 15-minute movie which got messed up in the middle, so I walked out and bought a calendar for the new millennium, which featured some of Mr. Rockwell's more known works. If I seem to be rambling, sorry...but I've been mellowing out in Vermont mountain solitude and quietness for 2 days...when I got home, I felt a bit too meditative to write to you all -- until I discovered to my horror that the VCR done me wrong. Then, I had to vent, and let you in on the happenings. At least I got to write down most of the exciting stuff that happened to me since I last posted :-) I shan't bore you with the rest of it. NOW, it's not my birthday Karen "The Composter" Riley (how do you like my new WWF moniker?) MuseKJ@aol.com ------------------------------ From: RingOH@aol.com Message-ID: <8a03dceb.24f875dd@aol.com> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:14:37 EDT Subject: TMBG: Pet Name Am I the only one to notice that someone (I believe piano) misplayed a chord in "pet Name"? In the first chorus ("You just forgot your one pet name for me...") they messed up right when John sang "pet". I know that John, John, and their band are perfect, so it must have been a conspiracy by the record company. I'm sure. E-mail me. Rick "Back in Just Five Minutes" Jennings ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199908280238.WAA154922@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:39:54 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: State Songs Release Date and Info! At 02:20 PM 8/27/1999 +0000, John wrote: >Flans has referred to himself as the "lower-half" of They Might Be Giants. I >believe he did so in an interview for Tongue Magazine ... but, it might have >been been before that. "Like, 'He's my lower half,' you laughed, but you're going to cry" -I'll Sink Manhattan --Jason-- "I'm not trying to make sense, I'm just talking." -John Flansburgh "You could say, like, 'Americans are stupid', but that would be incredibly mean." -John Linnell ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:46:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: LTW Sales Does anyone know how many copies of LTW have been downloaded? I know Linnell said he wasn't keeping track, but that was a few days after it was first released. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:54:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name Is this on the factory showroom recording? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19990827234531.0092aa30@pop.prism.gatech.edu> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:46:55 -0400 From: the hanged man Subject: Re: TMBG: King Weed At 01:08 PM 8/27/99 -0500, you wrote: >><< Unfortunately there was a >> stupid flood warning that ran across the bottom of the screen twice, >>because >> we've been having a drought, so of course it had to finally rain tonight >> >> >> >>At Least your power didn't go out 20 minutes before the show came on. I >>was >>very angry, and still am....what were the video and song like? > >Ha! At least you people have televisions. Oh, yeah... well at least you people have air to breathe! And you can't here anyone sing up here. -Jim, circling far about the planet earth, attatched to a satellite with a laptop. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-28 ******************************