Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 3 Tuesday, 3 August 1999 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs NON-TMBG: REM bumbershoot tix Re: TMBG: aquired taste RE: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot TMBG: Woohoo! Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs TMBG: Re: MP3's Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Non-TMBG: New email address TMBG: A Parody by Me Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 02:32:43 -0500 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <7o3gt3$24b8$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message news:19990802043905.94816.qmail@hotmail.com... > > The lyrics to "Dr. Kildare" were written by Flans, and he didn't know who > wrote the music (it was on an uncredited ska mix tape, or something like > that). Isn't this a cover of the theme music to the show "Dr. Kildare"? It's true Flans heard a ska version on a mix tape, but that was just a cover as well. > >Is Don't I Have The Right by someone named Connie Champagne? Because >on > >the > >compilation Lo-Fi Experience, it has her singing it, and it sounds >old.. > > I'm pretty sure that the _Unsupervised_ liner notes credit this to Flans, > but I doubt that your collection would include a cover of a Flansburgh song > (especially since it sounds like it was released before Flans was even > born), so it's probably a cover. I don't know why the liner notes would > have missed this. Taken straight from the tmbg.org discography: "Connie Champagne covers the song ``Don't I Have The Right?'' by They Might Be Giants on her album La Strada (CD: 1991 US Heyday HEY022). The song has since been recorded by Mono Puff. " So this is an old song of Flans that originally was written for a TMBG album, but which made it finally on to the Mono Puff album. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bedbfd$b9d4ea60$429ea2d1@tk421> From: "-=eRiCh=-" Subject: NON-TMBG: REM bumbershoot tix Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 02:10:23 -0700 I dont remember who asked for the REM bumbershoot tix but I thought i'd tell that person that i typed in 'rem seattle' on eBay and found some for sale so check that out if you really, really, really wanna go and stuff. -=eRiCh=- "And then you go an waste my cyclops time" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:37:05 -1000 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: aquired taste Vlad sez: >I've fought many battles against >anti-Tmbg people, but it was difficult, 'cuz i could see why one might find >Them annoying as hell! Call it lack of open-mindedness, or just plain twitly ignorance. We should also be accepting as well to other styles of music out there, because to the fans of that particular music, they are prolly not understanding why *we* don't like it as much as they do. Can't we all just get along? ^_^ >First off: Their music sounds very, um, kindergarten-ish. It's >"let's-have-some- chocolate milk-and-turn-on-some-cartoons" music to a lot >of people. TMBG embraces many musical styles. I wouldn't particularly put them into a firm "kiddie" category, but to the general public, who knows Them by Flood, judge them by that music, and that music alone. Again, the word "quirky" pops up in the descriptions by others, and us fans somewhat cringe at the word, knowing that it's really a lot deeper than that. Heck, the fact that They were featured on an afternoon cartoon was enough to establish a sort of kiddie rep. No biggie. >And i don't know if anyone's noticed, but a few of the popular >bands right now(Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock)....they're all kinda "bad-ass" >or something. I think "bad-ass" is looked at as sort of a virtue in young >society. i understand, too-- it shows strength to not care about things-- >caring and kindness makes people seem vulnerable and weak(not in everyone's >eyes, i know). These particular brands combine many styles of music, mind you, the styles that are popular right now. The diversity (kinda) of taste in today's teens is embodied in their styles -- Rap, Metal, etc. It's the way that teens today are showing their independence in taste, hence, their rebelliousness to the rest of the world. Just like most kids did when they listened to the Beatles in the 60's. > Second: Linnells's voice ... sounds a lot like Big Bird >or something. I know many people who really hate his voice. Feh! >They're sound is definitly not mainstream, i don't think, although it IS >close.... i'm kinda surprised They never really broke out, like w/ all that >ska and happier crap that piqued like 2 summers ago. oh well, timing really >is everything....or, 90% of it.... Flood was pretty much the peak of it, don'cha think? That's as mainstream as They got. Yes, They are an acquired taste. So They don't go along with the crowd. That's what so darned cool. Courtney L . Patubo - cpatubo@sirius.com toonie@tmbg.org * ICQ #3762743 http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." ------------------------------ From: "Malia Jackson" Subject: RE: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 07:52:56 -0400 Message-ID: <001501bedcdd$90032180$015501be@aisvt.bfg.com> Wow, I feel so fortunate....got my R.E.M. tickets for their Saratoga, NY show on the first try...please don't hate me! -malia "stands in the place where she is" j. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Parker Sent: Sunday, August 01, 1999 11:53 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: REM at bumbershoot I know this will get me nowhere and i hate to add to the off-topic thread but... If anyone has any tickets to the NC or Georgia shows at the end of August i would be more than glad to take em off your hands... desperation is my middle name, btw... That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v np: "Hope" - R.E.M. On Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:17:07 -0400 Sarah writes: >> okay, this is kind of a long shot, but... anyone here have tickets >to the >> REM show on september 2 in Seattle and isn't going to use them? >*begs, >> pleads* >> >> they're sold out now and i will do anything to get tickets. > >Um... that would be a NO.... but I am in a similar predicament... >I'm in desperation to find REM tix to their Aug. 23rd show @ Pine Knob >in >Michigan.... >So If ANYONE knows ANYONE who is looking to get rid of two Tix to this >show.... > >I will sell my soul for them... > >Thank you, and good night... > >~Sarah, "All the children run away from me" > >-- >Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck >Now Watching: Fox News at Ten... woo-hoo! > http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath > ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802132440.5872.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Elendriel ^_^" Subject: TMBG: Woohoo! Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 13:24:40 GMT I love my mom. :) She got to tape 'BNW' for me from another TV station other than Atlanta. So I no longer need a copy of the tape. So I shall make an offer to those who still want/need 'BNW'. :) I'm willing to make copies for any of you who need it. I'm open to trades, but postage/blank tape is acceptable as well. :) Email me off-list if you wanna work something out. :) Julie :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 11:02:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs In a message dated 8/1/1999 11:55:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: << I saw them live a few years ago, and their set included "Particle Man." I'm considering purchasing (at least) one of their albums. >> If you buy one of their albums, go for "The Bobs Cover the Songs of..." Mike Remember, something about free food!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802160111.82069.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 09:01:10 PDT Jay G. wrote: >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote in message >news:19990802043905.94816.qmail@hotmail.com... > > > > The lyrics to "Dr. Kildare" were written by Flans, and he didn't > > >know who > > wrote the music (it was on an uncredited ska mix tape, or > > something >like that). > >Isn't this a cover of the theme music to the show "Dr. Kildare"? Probably. I've never seen the show, and I don't know if Flans had or not. Considering the credits on the liner notes, I guess Flans never bothered finding out who wrote the song. (Is that legal?) >It's >true Flans heard a ska version on a mix tape, but that was just a >cover as well. So the Mono Puff version is a cover of a cover, I suppose. >Taken straight from the tmbg.org discography: > >"Connie Champagne covers the song ``Don't I Have The Right?'' by >They Might Be Giants on her album La Strada (CD: 1991 US Heyday HEY022). >The song has since been recorded by Mono Puff. " > >So this is an old song of Flans that originally was written for >a TMBG album, but which made it finally on to the Mono >Puff album. Interesting. I think I heard that Elektra had rejected "Don't I Have The Right," but I never knew that someone else released it before Mono Puff (not counting Dial-A-Song). Does the Connie Champagne version include all of the lyrics, or just the ones that were used in the Dial-A-Song version? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "You once said you loved me" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990802155853.99238.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:58:53 PDT Mike BigTMBGfan wrote: >In a message dated 8/1/1999 11:55:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >xornom@hotmail.com writes: > ><< I saw them live a few years ago, and their set included "Particle >Man." >I'm > considering purchasing (at least) one of their albums. >> > >If you buy one of their albums, go for "The Bobs Cover the Songs >of..." Is that the one that includes "Particle Man"? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Experimental dog" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:36:56 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3's Message-id: <37A60167.497DF269@wmich.edu> > and for We Might Be Giants Too: > http://www.headpress.com/wmbg/ > > -Jay Speaking of... anyone know what's up with the "We Might Be Giants Too" CD? My check has been cashed.... am I right to assume that they have had enough requests to print more CD's.... does anyone have a clue... or will yet another post of mine be ignored.... ~Sarah, "Only time will tell..." I suppose I could just email the man in charge.... but that would be too easy now wouldn't it! -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck Now Playing: Unsupervised by Mono Puff http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803035118.44448.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 20:51:18 PDT Sarah wrote: >I suppose I could just email the man in charge.... but that would be >too >easy now wouldn't it! No, the secretary will probably just say he's on another line, and make you hold for a long, long time. Speaking of long, long times, has anyone else noticed how often the words "long, long" are used on the pink album? There's "The Long, Long Trailer," which is the title of a movie. Then there's the "long, long time" in "She's An Angel," and the "long, long rope" in "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die." There's a similar repetition of "big" in "The Big Big Whoredom," but the recent MP3 album isn't _Long Long Weekend_. Incidentally, does anyone know why this list has been so inactive today? Maybe listening to _Long Tall Weekend_ causes paralysis. I wouldn't know, since I don't have it yet. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "The long tall whoredom scared me" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:55:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's In a message dated 8/2/99 10:53:00 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: >Incidentally, does anyone know why this list has been so inactive today? > >Maybe listening to _Long Tall Weekend_ causes paralysis. I wouldn't know, > >since I don't have it yet. tmbgofftopic is rather bursting with... activity. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803040612.57720.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:06:11 PDT sarah wrote: >In a message dated 8/2/99 10:53:00 PM, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > >Incidentally, does anyone know why this list has been so inactive > > >today? > > > >Maybe listening to _Long Tall Weekend_ causes paralysis. I > >wouldn't >know, > > > >since I don't have it yet. > > >tmbgofftopic is rather bursting with... activity. Ah. So, instead of causing paralysis, LTW causes people to join off-topic mailing lists? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Everything right is wrong again, just like in the long tall trailer" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <7b5d3705.24d7c87c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:22:20 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: New email address Hey, 'tis I, the bat, Batbrain99@aol.com. Now with a new screen name, as you can see. Why? Cuz coming back from a three week vacation (in which 3 tmbg cd's were stolen in seattle boo-hoo) i came home to a bazillion emails from the list. and that was just from the day i left! so now i have a screenname used strictly for the list. Ya know, I actually skimmed the thing they send when you join, and it says this: "Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list" Yeah, it blew me away too. ~Real "Wait...is this off topic?" Worm ------------------------------ From: ARealWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:32:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: A Parody by Me "Anakin" to the tune of "Ana Ng" a parody by Mr. Cherry Note: This takes place about a year after The Phantom Menace. It is sung by Obi-Wan, who is tired of training Anakin. Stick the light of the sword through the jugular Of the Destroyer Droid in the main hangar Watch my back as I free this pilot! Sometime I wish we never had found you Training Jedi Knights is not my thing Taking some stupid kid beneath my wing Sometimes I wish I could stop and scream "This foolish slave should not be on my team!" Anakin and I are getting old But he still hasnt learned how to walk down the path of the Jedi Knights Listen Ani, use the Force And maybe someday you might be a Jedi like me Fighting clones in the Jedi training hall Killing robots and Sith Lords like Darth Maul Why are these clones going downright crazy? Who's in the control room! Hey, who is in there? I lost Qui-Gon, but I still have Mace Windu That's a mighty good bowl of Yoda stew Why can't this boy be as good as they are Instead of fooling around like that Jar Jar? Anakin and I are getting old But he still hasnt learned how to walk down the path of the Jedi Knights Listen Ani, use the Force And maybe someday you might be a Jedi like me When Qui was losing life he spoke these dreadful words to me: "Promise me you'll train Anakin. He is the chosen one" He was dying there, so I made that swear Now I drag Ani's but most everywhere And he sticks like a stupid Gungan He bugs and he sticks like a stupid Gungan He bugs and he sticks and he just won't go away! And I wish that he just might die someday! Anakin and I are getting old But he still hasnt learned how to walk down the path of the Jedi Knights Listen Ani, use the Force And maybe someday you might be a Jedi like me ~Real "Look Ma, I'm Wierd Al!" Worm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803043316.21758.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:33:16 GMT Why tmbg off-topic? How does what is not regarding TMBG relate to that which is regarding TMBG? Are there certain subjects that are filtered to be on a list that includes that which is quasi-tmbg, but isn't really about TMBG at all? And why do I get all the messages from both? Kristina "Now That I Have Everything" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-3 *****************************