Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #20-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 20, Number 4 Wednesday, 4 August 1999 Today's Topics: TMBG: getright and ltw TMBG: TMBG in a new form... TMBG: TMBG in a new form... TMBG: TMBG in a new form...part 2 Semi-TMBG: Singers' Voices TMBG: Re: MP3's TMBG: John and John-the high school years TMBG: hometown TMBG: we might be giants too Video? Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Re: TMBG: John and John-the high school years NON-TMBG: TMBGofftopic Re: TMBG: A Parody by Me Re: NON-TMBG: TMBGofftopic Re: TMBG: A Parody by Me TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's TMBG: dialasong question Re: TMBG: dialasong question Re: TMBG: dialasong question TMBG: Re: dialasong question RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's TMBG: new tour dates Re: TMBG: John and John-the high school years Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's TMBG: No Longer About MP3s Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Re: TMBG: No Longer About MP3s Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs TMBG: trade TMBG: neilsen ratings for BNW Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD TMBG: Re: No Longer About MP3s Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's TMBG: Shoutcast Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19990803095301.36704.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Crystal Cooper" Subject: TMBG: getright and ltw Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 02:52:57 PDT ok, regarding the download of ltw: i use a program called getright on my computer because it's so slow it takes me hours to download things. getright allows you to pause the download, disconnect from the internet and resume the download again at a later time. most sites support getright, but i need to know if emusic does because i can't download without it and it would therefore be a waste of my money to attempt it. so did anyone else try to use getright? did it work? you can send the reply to DrPyser@tmbg.org if you know the answer. Crystal ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "it's all a lot of oysters, but no pearls" - counting crows e-mail me: DrPyser@tmbg.org My webpage, featuring Ben Folds Five and They Might Be Giants: http://fly.to/drpyser ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803135039.47181.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in a new form... Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:50:38 EDT I don't know how many of you play or have played on a MUD (multi-user dungeon, an online roleplaying game), but a friend of mine found one with a TMBG area. I didn't look around a whole lot, but I did encounter Particle Man, Triangle Man, Chess Piece Face, a subliminal, infantrymen, and Mr. Horrible, and I walked down Toddler Hiway. Whoever built it knew what they were talking about, and they took a lot from the songs. It's pretty neat, and if anyone's interested, it's called AarghMUD, and the address is aargh.world-net.net 1234 Amy :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803151110.12218.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in a new form... Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:11:10 EDT I don't know how many of you play or have played on a MUD (multi-user dungeon, an online roleplaying game), but a friend of mine found one with a TMBG area. I didn't look around a whole lot, but I did encounter Particle Man, Triangle Man, Chess Piece Face, a subliminal, infantrymen, and Mr. Horrible, and I walked down Toddler Hiway. Whoever built it knew what they were talking about, and they took a lot from the songs. It's pretty neat, and if anyone's interested, it's called AarghMUD, and the address is _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803151214.23335.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Amy Greenlese" Subject: TMBG: TMBG in a new form...part 2 Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:12:14 EDT sorry, wrong button. The address is aargh.world-net.net 1234 Amy :) _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:23:38 EDT Subject: Semi-TMBG: Singers' Voices OK, I've been reading the recent posts on the... abrasiveness of TMBG's singing, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in, too. When I was first introduced to TMBG (through Istanbul and Particle Man on Tiny Toons) and I bought Flood, I was amazed to find how much I actually enjoyed Their voices. The more and more CDs I bought, the more and more I liked their voices (especially when Linnell hits a really high note, like in "The Statue Got Me High" or when he sang the "TIME" part of "Older" before Flansy took over). So, when I see reviews where critics call the Johns' voices "nasal" and "whiny," I just don't see it (except for the first album, of course). I wonder if I have some kind of "nasal voice block" (which actually sounds kind of gross) that prevents me from recognizing abrasive voices. Some other singers that I like that none of my friends do because of "whiny" voices: Tori Amos, Talking Heads / David Byrne, DEVO. Is it a disease? Who knows? :) -CAsey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:49:12 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3's Message-ID: <19990803.124915.2862.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Kristina Panos questioned: >Why tmbg off-topic? Um. Well, it was created by none other than this list's own Dexter Flansburgh during one of the many on-topic-off-topic arguments as an attempt for those who like to post offtopic messages to have a place where they can do so freely and henceforth create a bit of peace on this list. Of course, the calm here is always rather brief, but the offtopic list is still fun. >How does what is not regarding TMBG relate to that >which is regarding TMBG? I don't understand the question, but it certainly is an interesing one. > Are there certain subjects that are filtered to be >on a list that includes that which is quasi-tmbg, but isn't really about >TMBG at all? Nothing is filtered - if you post NONTMBG posts here, they still go here. The offtopic list is a separate list entirely, running under Onelist. We've got a web page and everything (http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/TMBGofftopic). >And why do I get all the messages from both? You don't. Or at least, I don't think so. You have to subscribe to the offtopic list to get its messages. ever-sincere, eriKa, hey pachuko! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:09:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: John and John-the high school years Has anyone ever attempted to get yearbook pictures of linnell and flansburgh? it's commone knowledge of where they went to school, and im sure they have a few fans that actually go to their old high school...so wouldn't it be easy to get their senior year pictures, or any year for that matter? if anyone on that list goes to lincon-sudbury high school (or just "sudbry high") you gotta try and find an old copy of those yearbooks ------------------------------ From: MrBean43@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:14:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: hometown I found the web page for lincoln mass. where the johns grew up in. i emailed the webmaster and asked if this was indeed the town where they grew up, and he replied with a less than enthusiastic "yes". anyway, in case anyone hasn't ever seen it the address is www.lincoln-ma.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:06:00 -0600 From: Tim FitzRandolph Message-ID: <37A72178.1F80@colorado.edu> Organization: none Subject: TMBG: we might be giants too Video? I was wondering, is the video compilation still something that's going to happen with the We Might Be Giants Too project? I so, I'd love to make a video to add to it. thanks everyone, Tim FitzRandolph (new guy) ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:54:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's In a message dated 8/2/1999 11:59:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LimeZinger@aol.com writes: << tmbgofftopic is rather bursting with ... activity. sarah >> What's the offtopic list address? I'd like to join it for some strange reason. Mike Remember, food...free food...mmmmm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803180740.1697.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:07:40 PDT Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >Why tmbg off-topic? How does what is not regarding TMBG relate to that >which is regarding TMBG? The list was created for TMBG fans to discuss things other than TMBG. Personally, I think it's a bit odd for a mailing list to be based around a topic NOT to discuss. What happens if someone brings up TMBG on the off-topic list? Are they drummed out of the regiment, and forced to walk home dragging the Stone of Shame (which can later be used to wind a piece of string around)? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <37A7309D.5C98AF96@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:10:37 -0400 From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: John and John-the high school years MrBean43@aol.com wrote: > Has anyone ever attempted to get yearbook pictures of linnell and flansburgh? > it's commone knowledge of where they went to school, and im sure they have a > few fans that actually go to their old high school...so wouldn't it be easy > to get their senior year pictures, or any year for that matter? if anyone on > that list goes to lincon-sudbury high school (or just "sudbry high") you > gotta try and find an old copy of those yearbooks I have a friend at school here who went to Lincoln-Sudbury (or knows someone who went there, or something) and said he might be able to get his hands on some old yearbooks. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten back to me about it. I'd guess, though, that at least as far as Linnell is concerned, his senior picture probably looks a lot like his picture on the back of the Mundanes record, which is quite a scary picture. -- Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ zaph@tmbg.org "Just because you're floating doesn't mean * This space inadvertently you haven't drowned." -They Might Be Giants * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexamillion Flansburgason) Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:15:05 -0700 (PDT) Subject: NON-TMBG: TMBGofftopic Message-ID: <22980-37A731A9-2075@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> A link to join the list is located at the official TMBGofftopic website here: http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/TMBGofftopic ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <749c041e.24d88bc1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:15:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: A Parody by Me Thats so cool. I have to show it to my band. We're doing a cover of Ana Ng for a party we're hired to play this weekend. They'll get a real kick out of that. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:16:35 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: TMBGofftopic In a message dated 8/3/1999 2:15:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, GhostKrabb@webtv.net writes: << http://community.webtv.net/GhostKrabb/TMBGofftopic >> thank you Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:29:29 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A Parody by Me Message-ID: <19990803.142937.2910.7.Phone_Book@juno.com> From: polly j maloiseau how odd. this reminds me of a parody i wrote a year or so ago, and posted then to the list--i do so again for those who have joined since. it's .. erm. odd. D Rodman Make a jump for the hoop perpendicular To the pole standing ten feet off the ground Exit ball with a screaming frenzy Showing how sane the American public is My ambition looks hazy-red from here In the stands where the scoreboard's all that counts And his hair is a neon lamplight Torching the way for my weekends left to come (chorus:) D. Rodman and I are getting old And I still don't know how I can stand To spend all my days without him Listen, Rodman, hear my words They're the ones I would think I would say If you ever signed my bra All alone at a '98 bulls game Eighty fans screaming "small brain after all" Who was at the old public restrooms? He had buzzed red hair, too, why'd he walk away? And the time when you beat up that poor fan 'Cause you thought he deserved it, hell yeah he did And in back of the quiet courtroom I was praying to hell that you'd kick his ass (chorus) When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world, I just want his cash" They don't need me here, and I love your hair I don't want to live, it just isn't fair And it sticks like bad pair of shoes Everything sticks like a bad pair of shoes Everything sticks until it makes you trip, And the truth is I don't know anything. ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:32:10 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Message-ID: <19990803.143211.3358.0.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" Nathan Mulac DeHoff: >Personally, I think it's a bit odd for a mailing list to be based around a >topic NOT to discuss. Well, maybe *you're* the odd one, sir!!!!!!!! (i'm just being silly. all those exclamation points - clearly a sign of my ongoing madness.) >What happens if someone brings up TMBG on the >off-topic list? They get slapped with a fish. >Are they drummed out of the regiment, and forced to walk >home dragging the Stone of Shame (which can later be used to wind a piece of >string around)? Actually, nothing happens. We've mentioned Them before from time to time, but They're not usually the dominant part of the conversation. ever-sincere, eriKa, and we describe them with adjectives! (that was one big ugly bear!) "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexamillion Flansburgason) Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:44:26 -0700 (PDT) Subject: TMBG: dialasong question Message-ID: <22972-37A7388A-33038@postoffice-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Now, I know this question has been asked and answered numerous times, but becuase I'm a very forgetfull person...what is the address for the dialasong.com archives? Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter Flansburgh "My name is (weeky weeky) Slim Shady" -Eminem ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803185059.78774.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: dialasong question Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:50:59 PDT Dexamillion Flansburgh wrote: >Now, I know this question has been asked and answered numerous times, >but becuase I'm a very forgetfull person...what is the address for >the >dialasong.com archives? Try . It has most of the old online Dial-A-Songs (the ones that were in MOV format, anyway). For some reason, "The Smoking Gun" isn't there, but I think it's still available a the dialasong.com front page. I don't know if there's an archive on the actual Dial-A-Song server. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "But what kind of money does he make? It don't make no sense" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ From: GhostKrabb@webtv.net (Dexamillion Flansburgason) Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:04:51 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: TMBG: dialasong question Message-ID: <21676-37A73D53-20856@postoffice-241.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I don't know if there's an archive on the actual Dial-A-Song server. I don't know either, but the URL you just gave me is for the page I was talking about. I guess it's not really an "archive." Love? What do you know of love?!, Dexter Flansburgh "My name is (weeky weeky) Slim Shady" -Eminem ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:00:29 -0400 From: Mike Russo Message-ID: <37A73C4D.97054CCE@stardatecomputer.com> Organization: Stardate Computer Systems, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Re: dialasong question Dexamillion Flansburgason wrote: > > Love? What do you know of love?!, > Dexter Flansburgh > "My name is (weeky weeky) Slim Shady" -Eminem The updated dialasong archive is at www.dialasong.com/sounds. Go put my tape back on the rack and tell your friends my shit is whack, 'cos I don't GIVE A FUCK! -eminem ;) -- Mike Russo, www.walrus.com/~stardate, Brooklyn, NY -- "It's kind of silly when [fans are] making pie graphs about set list openers. But then, I always liked a good graph." --Mike Gordon, interview with Detroit Free Press 12/5/97 ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:20:51 -0700 Message-ID: <000101bedde5$4cba9c60$aac66ac6@tooms> > Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: > >Why tmbg off-topic? How does what is not regarding TMBG relate to that > >which is regarding TMBG? > > The list was created for TMBG fans to discuss things other than TMBG. > Personally, I think it's a bit odd for a mailing list to be based > around a > topic NOT to discuss. What happens if someone brings up TMBG on the > off-topic list? Are they drummed out of the regiment, and forced to walk > home dragging the Stone of Shame (which can later be used to wind > a piece of > string around)? no, and you know why? because the list is based around the idea of not drumming people out of the regiment so to speak for BRINGING UP NON-TMBG TOPICS ON THE TMBG LIST. bridget "misses mike leffel already" guildner bridgie t. "i was a nice girl," she pleaded, "wasn't i?" http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ celestia@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803192223.56586.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 12:22:22 PDT Bridget Therease wrote: > > What happens if someone brings up TMBG on the > > off-topic list? Are they drummed out of the regiment, and forced > > to >walk > > home dragging the Stone of Shame (which can later be used to wind > > a piece of > > string around)? > >no, and you know why? because the list is based around the idea of >not >drumming people out of the regiment so to speak for BRINGING UP >NON-TMBG >TOPICS ON THE TMBG LIST. AAARGH! TOO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS! ARE YOU TALKING TO--WAIT LET ME TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK. That's better. Are you talking to anyone in particular here? Are you bringing up that old "Too much non-TMBG content!" complaint, or what? >bridget "misses mike leffel already" guildner Why? Where did he go? -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "If off-topic is on-topic, then is everything right wrong again?" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:56:37 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: new tour dates Message-ID: Well I was checking tmbg.com and there seem to be some new tour dates that haven't been mentioned here. I will paste them in for people too lazy to open a browser: Date: City: Venue: 9/8/99 Winston-Salem, NC Ziggy's 9/10/99 Atlanta, GA Roxy Theatre 9/11/99 Raleigh, NC The Ritz 9/14/99 Savannah, GA The Roundhouse 9/15/99 Birmingham, AL Five Points South Music Hall 9/17/99 Austin, TX La Zona Rosa 10/8/99 Minneapolis, MN University of Minnesota -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:22:35 -0400 From: "Mark D. Beissel" Message-ID: <37A74F8B.2EEB@ameritech.net> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: John and John-the high school years Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > I'd > guess, though, that at least as far as Linnell is concerned, his senior > picture probably looks a lot like his picture on the back of the Mundanes > record, which is quite a scary picture. Has anyone ever scanned that picture in? I keep hearing about it, but I've never seen it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bedb14$f144cf40$c2c66ac6@default> From: "Bridget" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:24:17 -0700 > > > What happens if someone brings up TMBG on the > > > off-topic list? Are they drummed out of the regiment, and forced > > to > >walk > > > home dragging the Stone of Shame (which can later be used to wind > > > a piece of > > > string around)? > > > >no, and you know why? because the list is based around the idea of >not > >drumming people out of the regiment so to speak for BRINGING UP >NON-TMBG > >TOPICS ON THE TMBG LIST. > > AAARGH! TOO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS! ARE YOU TALKING TO--WAIT LET ME TURN OFF > MY CAPS LOCK. That's better. Are you talking to anyone in particular here? > Are you bringing up that old "Too much non-TMBG content!" complaint, or > what? nonono, i'm speaking against it. however, i really don't like getting into the argument, so i'm not gonna say much more. last i heard it was created so that people who wanted to talk about non-tmbg topics could do so without making List Mommies and Daddies claw their eyes out. But no more! this argument is useless. however, anyone notice how much less of a community the list seems like since the last exodus? > >bridget "misses mike leffel already" guildner > > Why? Where did he go? quit the list, too much of a waste of time. Bridget "Bongo, do NOT reply to this" Guildner ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <81c56eee.24d8b4c9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:10:33 EDT Subject: Re: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's > I think it's a bit odd for a mailing list to be based > >> around a > >> topic NOT to discuss. actually, that's not true. it's tmbgofftopic, not non-tmbg. :) tmbg and beyond, not everything-but-tmbg. :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803212701.77002.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:27:01 PDT Bridget wrote: >however, anyone notice how much less of a community the list seems >like >since the last exodus? I don't know if that's true or not. I've noticed a general lack of posts, which might be due to less people in the neigbourhood, and perhaps a greater amount of argument posts, but I haven't seen much actual hostility since the Buckland thing blew over. Maybe it's just a much smaller community. > > >bridget "misses mike leffel already" guildner > > > > Why? Where did he go? > >quit the list, too much of a waste of time. Did he ever mention this on the list? I don't think I'd heard about it before today. Since he's gone, does that mean he's the Messiah again? >Bridget "Bongo, do NOT reply to this" Guildner Well, I'm not Bongo, so I should be all right. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan Mulac "I'm getting a little bit tired of this quote-in-the-middle-of-my-name thing" DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:37:05 -0400 From: Sarah Subject: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD Message-id: <37A760FF.183D8C8B@wmich.edu> I know there are a lot of Moxy Fruvous Fans on this list..... I just wanted to share (for those who may not know already) that they are releasing a new CD, "Thornhill," Next Week (August 10) http://www.fruvous.com/thrnhill.html I know I'm excited!!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ~Sarah, "Don't say no to the incredible medicine show" -- Current Theme Song: "Bottle of Blues" by Beck http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath ICQ# 41332779 AIM: MomeRath9 ------------------------------ From: "Bridget Therease" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:50:12 -0700 Message-ID: <000001beddfa$2aa3e860$11c66ac6@tooms> > >however, anyone notice how much less of a community the list seems >like > >since the last exodus? > > I don't know if that's true or not. I've noticed a general lack > of posts, > which might be due to less people in the neigbourhood, and > perhaps a greater > amount of argument posts, but I haven't seen much actual > hostility since the > Buckland thing blew over. Maybe it's just a much smaller community. it seems to me like people are afraid to post things that aren't direct *criticisms* of tmbg. > > > >bridget "misses mike leffel already" guildner > > > > > > Why? Where did he go? > > > >quit the list, too much of a waste of time. > > Did he ever mention this on the list? I don't think I'd heard about it > before today. Since he's gone, does that mean he's the Messiah again? nope, just up and left in the night. and hey! he's always been the messiah. :) > >Bridget "Bongo, do NOT reply to this" Guildner > > Well, I'm not Bongo, so I should be all right. so far, yes. :) > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan Mulac "I'm getting a little bit tired of this > quote-in-the-middle-of-my-name thing" DeHoff > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803214921.78367.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:49:20 PDT Sarah wrote: >I know there are a lot of Moxy Fruvous Fans on this list..... >I just wanted to share (for those who may not know already) that they >are releasing a new CD, "Thornhill," Next Week (August 10) The titles and reviews for this album make it sound like it's going to be another album with a sort of sad vibe, kind of like _Wood_. That's okay, though; I like _Wood_. I'm certainly looking forward to it. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199908032259.SAA159766@f04n07.cac.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:59:54 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? "Hey, hey counterfeit fake / History wants you, they made a mistake" "Fake out, fake in, (etc., etc.)" "They might be fake, they might be lies, they might be big big fake fake lies" "Counterfeit faker, the damage has been done" Are the Johns secretly managed by the fellows who brought you Milli Vanilli? :) --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803235228.41119.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:52:28 PDT Bridget Therease wrote: >it seems to me like people are afraid to post things that aren't >direct >*criticisms* of tmbg. Well, I've tried to start several threads recently, and the only ones that really "took off" (so to speak) were the ones that were critical of the band. Make of that what you will. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990803233333.8794.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" Subject: TMBG: No Longer About MP3s Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:33:33 GMT >actually, that's not true. it's tmbgofftopic, not non-tmbg. :) tmbg and >beyond, not everything-but-tmbg. :) The difference being . . . ? How is what's Non-TMBG even remotely related to TMBG? How is an apple like an orange? They may both be fruits, but hey, serial killers are people too! Kristina "Why the fuck did I bother to start this thread" Panos _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804000238.98601.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Are the Johns trying to tell us something? Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:02:38 PDT Jason Fickley wrote: >"Hey, hey counterfeit fake / History wants you, they made a mistake" > >"Fake out, fake in, (etc., etc.)" > >"They might be fake, they might be lies, they might be big big fake >fake >lies" > >"Counterfeit faker, the damage has been done" > > >Are the Johns secretly managed by the fellows who brought you Milli >Vanilli? :) Actually, fakeness is a favourite theme of the Johns. What else would you expect from a band called They MIGHT BE Giants? As I've mentioned before, the name of the band indirectly relates to _Don Quixote_, and there was a lot about reality and fakeness in there. If there's a common theme throughout the work of TMBG (a dangerous assumption to make), then it probably has something to do with how things are perceived, with reality, fakeness (if that's even a word), illusion, delusion, and the like all fitting into that broad category. As for the Milli Vanilli thing, you might have something there. I've heard a rumour that the Johns didn't sing "O, Do Not Forsake Me," and that neither one of Them did the "In the jungle" parts to "The Guitar"! I've even heard that the Johns didn't write "Istanbul" or "New York City"! DISCLAIMER: This post contains sarcastic content. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804000749.21977.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: No Longer About MP3s Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:07:48 PDT Reverend Kristina K. Panos wrote: >>actually, that's not true. it's tmbgofftopic, not non-tmbg. :) tmbg >>and >>beyond, not everything-but-tmbg. :) > > >The difference being . . . ? > >How is what's Non-TMBG even remotely related to TMBG? Quite easily. I mean, if I decided to start talking about, let's say, XTC and Adam Ant, I'd be talking about a topic that could easily be related to TMBG, but I wouldn't be talking about TMBG. From what I know, though, the off-topic list wasn't set up for people to talk about things that were related to TMBG, but for TMBG fans to talk about things other than TMBG. Oh, and you didn't exactly start the thread, just this particular branch of it. -- Yours 'til my head falls off Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ _______________________________________________________________ Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:26:57 -0500 From: Laura Helbling Message-ID: <37A788D1.5C24BBF9@connectria.com> Organization: no thank you Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: MP3's Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Incidentally, does anyone know why this list has been so inactive today? > Maybe listening to _Long Tall Weekend_ causes paralysis. I wouldn't know, > since I don't have it yet. Wow, I don't have it either. I just haven't thought of anything to say. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this....... Laura ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19990804011046.26607.rocketmail@web117.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:10:46 -0700 (PDT) From: "A. Gaya" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD I was at Falcon Ridge and I heard some of the stuff on the new album in there Concert A lot of it is more serious but still upbeat and I mean Heck they have a song where they are drolling over a nude teenage girl in a movie so it cant be all that bad. > The titles and reviews for this album make it sound > like it's going to be > another album with a sort of sad vibe, kind of like > _Wood_. That's okay, > though; I like _Wood_. I'm certainly looking > forward to it. > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit > http://www.msn.com > _____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:17:08 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's Message-ID: <19990803.212602.9686.1.hotel_detective1@juno.com> From: "Cap'n eriKa rae" bridgie and nathan discussed Mike Leffel: >Since he's gone, does that mean he's the Messiah again? >and hey! he's always been the messiah. :) he's the fecal jesus! bwahahahahahahaha! sarah and christina discussed the offtopic list: >actually, that's not true. it's tmbgofftopic, not non-tmbg. :) tmbg and >beyond, not everything-but-tmbg. :) >The difference being . . . ? No whining. (WAH WAH WAH) >How is what's Non-TMBG even remotely related to TMBG? I don't think it is. Not usually at least. Although sometimes it is. But on the offtopic list, we can talk about TMBG or we can talk about things not TMBG related without the Spanish Inquisition. ever-sincere, eriKa, because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! "It's been cool to be cool for too long now and now it's cool not to be cool." - Ben Folds hotel_detective1@juno.com, couple_skate@juno.com, JannisDoe@hotmail.com ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:47:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Guest singers in TMBG songs Message-ID: <19990803.213215.-895035.3.gray42@juno.com> From: Claire V Gray > There's also "Night Security," but I don't have anything specific to > say > about that one at the moment. If anyone has anything to add, please > do so. > I realize that my comments weren't particularly interesting, but I'm > trying. Night Security is a GREAT song, and the deep voice makes it all the better. The only time I dislike guest singers or performers is when the song doesn't strike my fancy in the first place. I.E.Don't I have the right. Don't get me wrong, it's an ok song, but I tend to skip it when I listen to the CD. Not really my type. Mysterio Gal (NIPPPLES!!!!!!!!!!) "This iron horse only goes around and around a man made duck pond in dummyland now!" --Crosley Bendix MST3K#88182 ICQ#9585405 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > -- > Yours 'til my head falls off > Nathan Mulac "I want to be the night security" DeHoff > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com ________________________________________________________________ Get free e-mail you don't need Web access to use -- Or get full, reliable Internet access from Juno Web! Download your free software today: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagh. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19990306222130.0080c9d0@idt.net> Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:21:30 -0500 From: Michael Hooker Subject: TMBG: trade hello, i hear alot about moxy fruvous on this list, and would like to hear what they are all about. i recorded the following TMBG shows, all with great sound: 12-31-99 tramps, early; 5-15-99 bowery, early; central park show; irving plaza free show. if you would like to trade some moxy stuff for my tmbg boots, let me know. also, i'd sure like to get boots of the late shows from the above. i have tons of other stuff to trade. thanks, Mike Hooker ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:25:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: neilsen ratings for BNW Message-ID: I went digging around a bit to see how many people watched BNW on thursday. It was not one of the top 20 shows of the week but I found a site with a little article about thursday's ratings: http://www.ultimatetv.com/news/DailyNielsenRankings.html?2967 It says that BNW got a 5.0 rating and a 9 share. Each rating point means that approximately 994,000 households were tuned in... which means that about 5 million people saw TMBG on thursday. Which is really pretty frightening.... The 9 share means that 9% of all TVs that were on were tuned to BNW... which isn't that great... but still, in terms of exposure it is probably more than TMBG has had in a long long time! -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <81c78c7e.24d90ce3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:26:27 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Fruvous CD In a message dated 8/3/99 4:31:26 PM, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: > know there are a lot of Moxy Fruvous Fans on this list..... >I just wanted to share (for those who may not know already) that they >are releasing a new CD, "Thornhill," Next Week (August 10) > yes, and they chose my lovely city to do a cd release party instore performance on aug. 10, followed by a concert that night. and i'm going to both! wheee! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:50:29 -0500 From: Bob Scott Message-ID: <37A7B885.16E498C4@conpoint.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: No Longer About MP3s "Reverend Kristina K. Panos" wrote: > >actually, that's not true. it's tmbgofftopic, not non-tmbg. :) tmbg and > >beyond, not everything-but-tmbg. :) > > The difference being . . . ? > > How is what's Non-TMBG even remotely related to TMBG? How is an apple like > an orange? They may both be fruits, but hey, serial killers are people too! > > Kristina "Why the fuck did I bother to start this thread" Panos Oh no! It's a thread arguing about the purpose of TMBGofftopic!!! Hide the kids! Bob "TMBG content in every lousy scoop!" Scott ------------------------------ From: BigTMBGfan@aol.com Message-ID: <7c622db.24d922d3@aol.com> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 01:00:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: No longer about MP3's In a message dated 8/3/1999 4:59:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tooms@proaxis.com writes: << quit the list, too much of a waste of time. Bridget "Bongo, do NOT reply to this" Guildner >> If you don't like it, don't participate in it. Mike Remember, I want to see TMBG!!! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:39:38 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Shoutcast Message-ID: <19990803.223939.-659911.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: Garrett M Liggett Does anyone know if anyone has got any shoutcast servers up with TMBG songs? If so, what genre is it under? Just curious... Garrett Liggett ___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #20-4 *****************************